SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Nikki74: Lexapro mirtazapine diazepam akathisia

Nikki74

• Moderator Emeritus
On 7/1/2018 at 10:59 AM, Nikki74 said:

i reduced this morning to 2.5mg and had a slightly less severe reaction and the benzo wasn’t as severe either.

But I can feel wds kicking in already I think. Strange concrete lump feeling at back of my head. Panicky but I was anyway. Akathisia remains but no frantic pacing today.

Im just scared about the coming days having made this cut. 

Hi Nikki,

Some improvement on day one.  Let's focus on that.  Stay in each day.  And that's wonderful that you already felt a "less severe reaction" to both the Lexapro and benzo!! 

This is what I've got for your daily medication log right now:

8:15 am- Lexapro 2.5 mg

9:00 am- clonazepam 0.43 mg

5:00 pm- clonazepam 0.375 mg

11:00 pm- mirtazepine 15 mg

Try and do the daily logs once more including the above, with symptoms(descriptions are great as to what you feel......e.g. strange concrete lump feeling at the back of my headB))  It's possible you may just hit a real tired type feeling after all the recent activation.  However........try and give us an update every couple days.  I have noticed that you often disappear for a month or so.

You have made some progress in the past year........given a difficult medication combination to begin with.  And you do have the additional situational changes that do tend to occur for many of us during this often trying time.  Have faith........even if it's just in those of us who have traveled this path before you and made it to the other side!

Use your skills right now, and do call on any "on the ground" people that you can check in with too.  Just tell them you are having adverse medication reactions if that helps and that you may need a bit of extra kindness and compassion right now.  Is your landlady living where you live?  And then do you still do your outing once a week?  Human interaction can be so very helpful.

Love, peace, healing, and growth,

mmt

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

On 7/3/2018 at 5:40 PM, manymoretodays said:

Hi Nikki,

Some improvement on day one.  Let's focus on that.  Stay in each day.  And that's wonderful that you already felt a "less severe reaction" to both the Lexapro and benzo!! 

This is what I've got for your daily medication log right now:

8:15 am- Lexapro 2.5 mg

9:00 am- clonazepam 0.43 mg

5:00 pm- clonazepam 0.375 mg

11:00 pm- mirtazepine 15 mg

Try and do the daily logs once more including the above, with symptoms(descriptions are great as to what you feel......e.g. strange concrete lump feeling at the back of my headB))  It's possible you may just hit a real tired type feeling after all the recent activation.  However........try and give us an update every couple days.  I have noticed that you often disappear for a month or so.

Sorry not to have updated sooner. With house move coming up and so many symptoms including severe fatigue I’m not on top of this.

I ended up going with a 10% cut as of last Monday. So cut 50% Sunday, then panicked and did 10% since then.

Im sorry. Feel like a failure. I wanted to see how 10% affected me first. Will update signature.

So the instant adverse reaction is now less but it takes 30-45 minutes to start ramping up. I’ve moved the benzo to an hour after taking the lexapro (just 15 min time change) so I can gauge the reaction to the lexapro better.

I’m getting withdrawals kicking in now more noticeably. Especially mental symptoms like increase in ocd, dr, waves of depression (though I had that anyway), some terror, general eeriness. Anxiety, dizziness, fatigue worse, cognitive slowness... but all of these I’ve had whenever I’ve made a reduction in the benzo.

I am hoping I can reduce again before too long as I am getting this adverse reaction though as I say it’s not as instant. 

On Saturday afternoon I had a spell of severe akathisia. Then it died down (1-4pm). Akathisia still present all day as it has been for the past year. But aside from Saturday afternoon so far it’s not gone severe since the cut, though I feel the wds ramping up and am concerned as this cut progresses what will happen... though of course taking the pill sends it up too.

I will try to write more later with more detail and to respond to your other questions.

This is all very scary - reactions and withdrawals.

Nikki xxx

On 7/3/2018 at 5:40 PM, manymoretodays said:

You have made some progress in the past year........given a difficult medication combination to begin with.  And you do have the additional situational changes that do tend to occur for many of us during this often trying time.  Have faith........even if it's just in those of us who have traveled this path before you and made it to the other side!

Use your skills right now, and do call on any "on the ground" people that you can check in with too.  Just tell them you are having adverse medication reactions if that helps and that you may need a bit of extra kindness and compassion right now.  Is your landlady living where you live?  And then do you still do your outing once a week?  Human interaction can be so very helpful.

mmt

2009-2011 mirtazapine 45mg plus clonaz as needed. Start Lexapro Nov 2011. 

June 2016 Zopiclone, July-Sept Trazodone 50mg, adverse reaction, ct, started pregabalin, reduced Lexapro from 20 to 15mg

Start of 2017 on 15mg lexapro, 100mg pregablin. April added 15mg mirtazapine. End May.  Start June stop pregablin after two week taper.  End June.  Stopped Lexapro 15mg 3 wk taper. Start July Mirt 30mg + Diaz daily 2-4mg End July  returned to mirtaz 15mg + lexapro at 10mg reinstated. 4th Aug - 19 Sept Zopiclone (3.75 then 7.5 then 3.75 at the end)

diazepam 7-8mg day since then. 16 Sept cut lex to 5mg. 5-6 Oct swapped 5mg lex to 8.15am and 15mg mirtazipine to 11pm

8 Oct onwards sticking to 6mg diazepam p/day 3 doses/ 2 Feb start 1mg clonazepam, stop Diaz. 21 Feb 2% cut lex. 8 March 12.5% clon cut. Now take .5 clon 9am, .375 5pm(0.875 mg daily clonazepam) 16 May  @8% clon reduction so 9am dose .43(0.805 mg daily clonazepam)

2 July 10% Lexapro reduction to 4.5mg. 9 Aug .25mg lex cut  to 4.25mg/ 13 Aug 4.5mg

2018 October Lexapro 4.5 to 4.25 mg  clonazepam 0.80 mg  mirtazapine 15 mg

2019 October present drugs:  Lexapro 2.75 mg(tapers of 0.25 increments in last year at 5 -9 week intervals),  clonazepam 0.78 mg(taper of .02 mg November 2018),  mirtazapine 15 mg

2020 January 5th Lexapro taper to 2.57 mg(2%drop), total clonazepam 0.78 mg, mirtazapine 15 mg

previous signature here  recent dosing and symptom logs here

Just an update on drugs:

8.15 4.5mg lexapro 

9.15 .43 clonazepam 

5pm .375 clonazepam 

11pm 15mg Mirtazipine 

I hope you’re not angry I didn’t stick with 50% cut. I do clearly need to get off the Lexapro as reaction is so obvious. 

How long would you expect full wd from the cut I made to hit? Hard to distinguish adverse effects from wd as the day progresses.

June 2016 Zopiclone, July-Sept Trazodone 50mg, adverse reaction, ct, started pregabalin, reduced Lexapro from 20 to 15mg

Start of 2017 on 15mg lexapro, 100mg pregablin. April added 15mg mirtazapine. End May.  Start June stop pregablin after two week taper.  End June.  Stopped Lexapro 15mg 3 wk taper. Start July Mirt 30mg + Diaz daily 2-4mg End July  returned to mirtaz 15mg + lexapro at 10mg reinstated. 4th Aug - 19 Sept Zopiclone (3.75 then 7.5 then 3.75 at the end)

diazepam 7-8mg day since then. 16 Sept cut lex to 5mg. 5-6 Oct swapped 5mg lex to 8.15am and 15mg mirtazipine to 11pm

8 Oct onwards sticking to 6mg diazepam p/day 3 doses/ 2 Feb start 1mg clonazepam, stop Diaz. 21 Feb 2% cut lex. 8 March 12.5% clon cut. Now take .5 clon 9am, .375 5pm(0.875 mg daily clonazepam) 16 May  @8% clon reduction so 9am dose .43(0.805 mg daily clonazepam)

2 July 10% Lexapro reduction to 4.5mg. 9 Aug .25mg lex cut  to 4.25mg/ 13 Aug 4.5mg

2019 October present drugs:  Lexapro 2.75 mg(tapers of 0.25 increments in last year at 5 -9 week intervals),  clonazepam 0.78 mg(taper of .02 mg November 2018),  mirtazapine 15 mg

2020 January 5th Lexapro taper to 2.57 mg(2%drop), total clonazepam 0.78 mg, mirtazapine 15 mg

On 7/1/2018 at 6:16 PM, wantrelief said:

Hi Nikki - What Alto said is so true, you have been so very brave.  I am really sorry for all you have gone through and am really hoping reducing the Lexapro helps.  Thinking about you - WR.

Thank you so much WR, that’s so very kind. Love x

• Moderator Emeritus
On 7/9/2018 at 3:16 AM, Nikki74 said:

Sorry not to have updated sooner. With house move coming up and so many symptoms including severe fatigue I’m not on top of this.

I ended up going with a 10% cut as of last Monday. So cut 50% Sunday, then panicked and did 10% since then.

Im sorry. Feel like a failure. I wanted to see how 10% affected me first. Will update signature.

So the instant adverse reaction is now less but it takes 30-45 minutes to start ramping up. I’ve moved the benzo to an hour after taking the lexapro (just 15 min time change) so I can gauge the reaction to the lexapro better.

I’m getting withdrawals kicking in now more noticeably. Especially mental symptoms like increase in ocd, dr, waves of depression (though I had that anyway), some terror, general eeriness. Anxiety, dizziness, fatigue worse, cognitive slowness... but all of these I’ve had whenever I’ve made a reduction in the benzo.

I am hoping I can reduce again before too long as I am getting this adverse reaction though as I say it’s not as instant. 

On Saturday afternoon I had a spell of severe akathisia. Then it died down (1-4pm). Akathisia still present all day as it has been for the past year. But aside from Saturday afternoon so far it’s not gone severe since the cut, though I feel the wds ramping up and am concerned as this cut progresses what will happen... though of course taking the pill sends it up too.

I will try to write more later with more detail and to respond to your other questions.

This is all very scary - reactions and withdrawals.

Nikki xxx

Hi Nikki,

No.  Never a failure. 

You've gone a week now.  And no severe panic???!!!!  Awesome.  I don't think it is going to get a whole lot worse........let's get to 10 days - 2 weeks out though before any further changes.

And are you doing the inexact shave method or IES method plus weighing?  I know you have a decent scale that you use for your benzo.

Would you want to try and go to the homemade liquid now?  You could do a minimal crossover........I'll go over that with you if interested.  The biggest change after crossing over cautiously.......... I think is that you will just absorb your dose a bit faster than you do now and what you call the "instant adverse reaction" may occur sooner than the 30-45 minutes.

I imagine some of the cog fog and slowness is due to the benzo as well.  And the 15 minute change is fine with your benzo dosing.  Sounds like you are observing carefully.

Yay on the instant adverse reaction being less.  And from what I can glean is that most of your symptoms haven't changed much at all.  That's good........I mean not great I'm sure as you are in it, but what I'm saying is nothing is significantly worse.........B)  Sometimes being okay with not being okay is actually super okay........

Let me see what you want to do going forward........because if we cross over to a homemade solution........I'd advise you holding until we've got that done. 

If you don't want to go that way........then that's fine.  Meantime.........I'm going to just research a bit as far as when to best advise you to go down to 4 mg.

Thank you for posting and updating.  I hear your fear and that's okay.........understandable..........just give it it's time, don't feed it too much or give it your finest tea.......

Are you excited about your upcoming move?

mmt

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

1 hour ago, manymoretodays said:

Hi Nikki,

No.  Never a failure. 

You've gone a week now.  And no severe panic???!!!!  Awesome.  I don't think it is going to get a whole lot worse........let's get to 10 days - 2 weeks out though before any further changes.

Today i I woke with bad akathisia, took the lexapro and it was actually making me a bit drowsy, the severe reaction didn’t happen but the akathisia was bad anyway.

I took the benzo, got a little respite, then I’ve had severe akathisia all day, so unbelievably intense. 

It had lowered a bit overall since last Tuesday til today (apart from the awful Saturday afternoon).

So I don’t know if this is now withdrawal akathisia but it’s really bad. I don’t understand why it lowered somewhat and now bam it’s off the charts. 

This happened when I last cut the benzo, everything lowered for 9 days then bam! Crazy akathisia getting worse over the weeks until this lexapro adverse reaction really ramped up.

And are you doing the inexact shave method or IES method plus weighing?  I know you have a decent scale that you use for your benzo.

Would you want to try and go to the homemade liquid now?  You could do a minimal crossover........I'll go over that with you if interested.  The biggest change after crossing over cautiously.......... I think is that you will just absorb your dose a bit faster than you do now and what you call the "instant adverse reaction" may occur sooner than the 30-45 minutes.

I imagine some of the cog fog and slowness is due to the benzo as well.  And the 15 minute change is fine with your benzo dosing.  Sounds like you are observing carefully.

Yay on the instant adverse reaction being less.  And from what I can glean is that most of your symptoms haven't changed much at all.  That's good........I mean not great I'm sure as you are in it, but what I'm saying is nothing is significantly worse.........B)  Sometimes being okay with not being okay is actually super okay........

Let me see what you want to do going forward........because if we cross over to a homemade solution........I'd advise you holding until we've got that done. 

If you don't want to go that way........then that's fine.  Meantime.........I'm going to just research a bit as far as when to best advise you to go down to 4 mg.

Im happy to stick with dry cutting using my scales for now.

Thank you for posting and updating.  I hear your fear and that's okay.........understandable..........just give it it's time, don't feed it too much or give it your finest tea.......

Are you excited about your upcoming move?

mmt

I wish I was excited. I normally would be. But akathisia is so bad I’m very low. Plus I suffer extreme fatigue so am so limited.

Not feeling much hope right now tbh mmt 😢 xxxx

• Administrator
On 7/9/2018 at 2:47 AM, Nikki74 said:

Just an update on drugs:

8.15 4.5mg lexapro 

9.15 .43 clonazepam 

5pm .375 clonazepam 

11pm 15mg Mirtazipine 

I hope you’re not angry I didn’t stick with 50% cut. I do clearly need to get off the Lexapro as reaction is so obvious. 

How long would you expect full wd from the cut I made to hit? Hard to distinguish adverse effects from wd as the day progresses.

Hi, Nikki. Did you get scared about making a largish cut in Lexapro?

Is 4.5mg a 10% reduction from your prior Lexapro dosage of 5mg? Was Monday the first day you took 4.5mg?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

11 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Hi, Nikki. Did you get scared about making a largish cut in Lexapro?

Is 4.5mg a 10% reduction from your prior Lexapro dosage of 5mg? Was Monday the first day you took 4.5mg?

Hi Alto

I did get scared.

I realise now I made that 2% cut in February but I wonder if I was shaving off any more than just the coating for that. So I have reduced to 4.5mg

Yes Monday was the first day I took 4.5mg

• Administrator

Let's give it a few days. If you get a bad reaction from the Lexapro again, you might want to make another 10% cut, if you feel safer with that.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

13 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Let's give it a few days. If you get a bad reaction from the Lexapro again, you might want to make another 10% cut, if you feel safer with that.

Ok thank you

I was speaking to the benzo charity I phone and told them of my situation with the lexapro and they completely dismissed that you could get a severe reaction so fast to a drug. Within minutes. I said even when a bit of the powder hit my tongue my arm started twitching. They said it must be psychological and that 5mg wouldn’t do such a thing. It made me doubt myself. You know these drugs Alto, I’m not ‘creating’ such a reaction am I? It seems impossible to have all the things I’ve had when I take it (including instant diahrrea, sorry!) and it be ‘me’.

Thank you for your support

Nikki

• Administrator

Nikki, the benzo organization may not know anything about other drugs.

You've done an excellent job of reporting your symptoms. It seems that Lexapro is too activating for you now. Let's see if this slight reduction was enough.

21 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Nikki, the benzo organization may not know anything about other drugs.

You've done an excellent job of reporting your symptoms. It seems that Lexapro is too activating for you now. Let's see if this slight reduction was enough.

Ok.

The akathisia has been severe today though. Even if reducing an activating drug, the akathisia won’t necessarily respond with lessening I assume and can be worsened by wd as much as an adverse reaction? 

Well it did start constantly after cting pregabalin and the lexapro last June so I can’t imagine how it will go.

I’m rambling. It’s just horrific when so severe and miserable but about copeable when lower.

Will see what happens the next few days.

I had a broken and very sweaty night. Still it was about 8 hours broken sleep. Vivid dreams.

8am got up with adrenaline surges and akathisia on the rise, heart pounding

8.15 4.5mg lexapro 

some reduction in agitation and felt drowsy but too restless to stay still, no severe reaction but akathisia very evident (internal agitation, toxic feeling through body, can’t be still), heart still pounding, have to rub feet together 

9.15 .43 clonazepam 

surge in adrenaline after taking

9.30 heart rate lowering a bit

9.45 some reduction in akathisia but not a lot

10.35 hands shaking, heart rate increasing and akathisia increasing 

11am muscle in right arm twitching, right leg kicks out involuntarily, internal shaking, hands and arms shaking, heart rate up. 

12.30 some muscle twitching continues. Restless akathisia but not severe like yesterday... so far...

2pm so far no severe akathisia like yesterday

2.30pm extreme fatigue, jaw twitching, inner agitation rising, shaky 

3.15pm head squeezing, severe fatigue, all over agitation, heart rate up

4.30 akathisia rising and hands and arms shaking. Fatigue bad but not as severe. Adrenaline going.

5pm .375 clonazepam 

Agitation lowers for the evening though present as is usual restlessness. 

Some head squeezing and mental symptoms 

overall nowhere near as horrific as yesterday. The akathisia is like a ticking bomb, never know when it’s going to go off big time.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Nikki, 

Glad to see you had a day where the akathisia was a bit more bearable. It certainly is one of the worst symptoms. 

I’m sooo sorry you have this symptom all the time, wish I could take it away for you. I know you have CFS like me too, withdrawals make it a lot worse as both the withdrawals and CFS are CNS problems. One exacerbates the other. 

One of these days we will be rid of all of these horrible symptoms. It’s no consolation now when we go through things like akathisia but it does give us a bit of a spark of hope. 

Sending you big hugs🤗🤗

Been on APs, benzos, ADs and opiates, for chronic pain. Had Akathisia in the past that made me suicidal. Still on Seroquel. 2019:➡️ March10=7.25mg ✔️ April17=7.0✔️ June5=6.75✔️ July14=6.50✔️ Aug28=6.25✔️ Oct10=6.20  ✔️ Oct21=6.0✔️ Dec16=5.80 ✔️ 2020➡️ Jan 21=5.60 ✔️ April2=5.40 ✔️ May29=5.20 ✔️ Aug14= 5.0 ✔️Sep29=4.80✔️2021➡️ Jan31=4.60 mg✔️ April24=4.40mg✔️Jul17=4.30mg ✔️ Aug 28=4.20 ✔️ Oct 11=4.15✔️Nov1=4.10 ✔️ Nov21= 4.05✔️ Dec13= 4mg ✔️2022 ➡️ Jan8=3.95✔️ Jan31=3.90✔️ March2=3.85 ✔️ April4=3.80 ✔️ June16=3.75✔️ July26=3.70✔️ Sep2=3.65✔️ Oct21=3.60 ✔️ Dec8=3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️ March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

9 hours ago, Carmie said:

Hi Nikki, 

Glad to see you had a day where the akathisia was a bit more bearable. It certainly is one of the worst symptoms. 

I’m sooo sorry you have this symptom all the time, wish I could take it away for you. I know you have CFS like me too, withdrawals make it a lot worse as both the withdrawals and CFS are CNS problems. One exacerbates the other. 

One of these days we will be rid of all of these horrible symptoms. It’s no consolation now when we go through things like akathisia but it does give us a bit of a spark of hope. 

Sending you big hugs🤗🤗

Thank you Carmie xxx back up today xxxx yes it’s all just awful xxx

Broken sleep, woke several times but still 7-8 hours.

akathisia low on waking, depressed, diahrrea 

8.15 4.5mg lex, no severe reaction but some muscle twitching and worse diahrrea within half an hour. Akathisia increasing also but not extreme.

9.15 .43 clonazepam 

akathisia surged up within 10 minutes, pacing, heart pounding, some muscle twitching 

I had this before, then it stopped, now this reaction is back again!!

I do not understand 😥

10.30 totally opposite effect and drowsy, drunk feeling. Eyes heavy. Body weak. Depressed.

• Moderator Emeritus
22 hours ago, Nikki74 said:

Thank you Carmie xxx back up today xxxx yes it’s all just awful xxx

Im sooo sorry Nikki, sending you massive big hugs🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗

Been on APs, benzos, ADs and opiates, for chronic pain. Had Akathisia in the past that made me suicidal. Still on Seroquel. 2019:➡️ March10=7.25mg ✔️ April17=7.0✔️ June5=6.75✔️ July14=6.50✔️ Aug28=6.25✔️ Oct10=6.20  ✔️ Oct21=6.0✔️ Dec16=5.80 ✔️ 2020➡️ Jan 21=5.60 ✔️ April2=5.40 ✔️ May29=5.20 ✔️ Aug14= 5.0 ✔️Sep29=4.80✔️2021➡️ Jan31=4.60 mg✔️ April24=4.40mg✔️Jul17=4.30mg ✔️ Aug 28=4.20 ✔️ Oct 11=4.15✔️Nov1=4.10 ✔️ Nov21= 4.05✔️ Dec13= 4mg ✔️2022 ➡️ Jan8=3.95✔️ Jan31=3.90✔️ March2=3.85 ✔️ April4=3.80 ✔️ June16=3.75✔️ July26=3.70✔️ Sep2=3.65✔️ Oct21=3.60 ✔️ Dec8=3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️ March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

The akathisia was severe again yesterday afternoon from about 2-4.30 then it eased off to more tolerable levels.

My nights are becoming more broken, waking 2 or 3 times.

Woke with agitation and diarrhea 

8.15 4.5mg lexapro 

8.30 muscles twitching in both arms, right leg involuntary movement, shaking all over, back of head slight burning 

8.45 continues, shaking all over

leg thigh muscles twitching when I sit

I’m really struggling to see my way out of this mess. My body is wracked with akathisia and adverse effects. 

Taken the .43 clonazepam and still twitching and unable to be still for long, as has been the way for so long now, still shaking inside and out. I’ve been itching too since taking the lexapro.

I don’t know what to do anymore.

moving house in two weeks and can barely manage a few phone calls. Agitation and severe fatigue.

Is there hope for me? 

Taking the lexapro is making me itch now. I noticed this started yesterday in addition to the other adverse effects. This happens within 15-20 minutes of me taking it. Plus muscle twitching, shaking and adrenaline surge, heart rate increase, akathisia increase.

i slept better last night.

Im wondering whether to drop another .5mg or even 1mg soon?

Although I have the house move on the 25th and the stress before and after that.

Seriously don’t know how much longer I can exist with the akathisia without doing something drastic with these drugs. I know it doesn’t make sense. But I’m so done with taking all this stuff and knowing the akathisia cannot heal on this cocktail. It’s despair talking. 

Lying under my heat pad and weighted blanket squirming around in agitation seeing no end, every day. 

Nikki

im sorry you are suffering so. I know exactly what you’re going through and my heart goes out to you. 

I wish I could help you or had words of comfort. I just wanted you to know that I’m rooting for you and praying you get relief soon. Unfortunately, that’s all I have to offer. xx 

Lex  4.3mg,  3/2/18  Ativan ,5 mg,  lunesta 2 mg , toprol  25 mg                                                            

Oct 16-28 2018 C/O to 19 mg V from 1.5 mg Ativan, 1.3 mg lunesta 

jan 22 2019- 11 mg V

jan 23 - pneumonia, 2 AB’s. 

Hold taper

july 5- 10.72 V

July 6- 11 mg V- ugly bad

july 11- 10.72 mg V, 4.3 lex, 

25 mg toprol

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Nikki,

Just wanted to see how you are faring this past week?  And now 3 weeks since your 10% Lexapro reduction on the 2nd of June.

Don't forget to put the dosage in your signature.  I do see that you noted the decrease on 2 June July.  4.5 mg still?

That's great that you have a weighted blanket.  And I see from some of your previous posts that the heat and warmth seems to really help with the internal restlessness that you deal with.

Do you have a tub for bathing?  Or will you in your new place?

For me.........without a doubt, immersion in warm(not real hot) water is so very calming to my healing and sometimes still fragile nervous system.  I do often use the Epsom salts as well........just a couple small handfuls. 

Has your sleep recovered back to the 7 or 8 hours more consistently?  Has the itching persisted?  Diarrhea? 

Is it moving time now?  Or in one week?

On 7/14/2018 at 8:29 AM, Nikki74 said:

Seriously don’t know how much longer I can exist with the akathisia without doing something drastic with these drugs. I know it doesn’t make sense. But I’m so done with taking all this stuff and knowing the akathisia cannot heal on this cocktail. It’s despair talking. 

Lying under my heat pad and weighted blanket squirming around in agitation seeing no end, every day. 

Any improvement from ^.

Outings at all or gentle easy activity?

Are you set up with a device where you can try and watch some of the calming videos or guided meditations or even just music that might calm while you are in bed or on the couch/sofa?

On 7/14/2018 at 3:10 AM, Nikki74 said:

Im wondering whether to drop another .5mg or even 1mg soon?

I think if it seems apparent, from your daily logs and observations............that the Lexapro still seems to be the culprit, as far as activation and symptoms under the umbrella of akathisia..........that you could consider giving another drop a go.  If I were you I'd probably just go down to 4 mg.  Completely understandable if you elect to wait until after the move as well.   

Here's what Alto said last:

On 7/10/2018 at 2:54 PM, Altostrata said:

On 7/10/2018 at 2:30 PM, Altostrata said:

And I repeat.  You've done an excellent job reporting!!!  Can you give us some more of the daily logs?

Sending all the healing intentions in the universe Nik.  And gentle hugs.

mmt

Edited by manymoretodays
July, not June corrected

Hi Nikki,

Just wanted to see how you are faring this past week?  And now 3 weeks since your 10% Lexapro reduction on the 2nd of June.

Don't forget to put the dosage in your signature.  I do see that you noted the decrease on 2 June.  4.5 mg still?

Yes that dosage is correct. Good to hear from you mmt.

Ive not been faring well but then I never am with akathisia and wds from last year.

That's great that you have a weighted blanket.  And I see from some of your previous posts that the heat and warmth seems to really help with the internal restlessness that you deal with.

Do you have a tub for bathing?  Or will you in your new place?

For me.........without a doubt, immersion in warm(not real hot) water is so very calming to my healing and sometimes still fragile nervous system.  I do often use the Epsom salts as well........just a couple small handfuls. 

Has your sleep recovered back to the 7 or 8 hours more consistently?  Has the itching persisted?  Diarrhea? 

Is it moving time now?  Or in one week?

Any improvement from ^.

Outings at all or gentle easy activity?

Are you set up with a device where you can try and watch some of the calming videos or guided meditations or even just music that might calm while you are in bed or on the couch/sofa?

I think if it seems apparent, from your daily logs and observations............that the Lexapro still seems to be the culprit, as far as activation and symptoms under the umbrella of akathisia..........that you could consider giving another drop a go.  If I were you I'd probably just go down to 4 mg.  Completely understandable if you elect to wait until after the move as well.   

I’m moving on Wednesday and am very stressed.

An overview of things from my log:

Sleep has returned to 7-8 hours

Diahrea is still Daily and quite bad but has lessened in the past four days. However since it’s been bad since the cut, I’ve had bleeding with the diahrrea. Not always but most days. I had this for a few weeks in a severe wave last Autumn and it eventually stopped.

Since the 7th July, I’ve had intense physical and mental akathisia 9 afternoons and less intense akathisia 6 days. But as always, I have it. Those intense afternoons have been just horrendous.

I always wake with it. I take the lexapro, the dramatic adverse reaction has lowered. Generally now taking it takes the edge off what I assume are wd symptoms. But the akathisia continues to increase.

I take the morning clonazepam and it takes the edge off the akathisia for an hour or 2 on the days it’s then gone intense in the afternoons. 

Ive had two days where the clonazepam has me pacing after taking it for about an hour.

Yesterday, I had horrific looping thoughts, intense akathisia unable to stop doing repeated actions, terror and visual distortions, extreme panic. Taking the clonazepam gave me panic and a feeling of going insane.

Today the clonazepam has behaved as normal. Though having said that I’ve taken my evening dose and am as restless as ever. I am concerned about both the lexapro and the clonazepam. I feel completely trapped. The akathisia is misery everyday. 

Ive had spells of severe depression throughout but I was anyway.

So I don’t know what to do. 

Everyday is very tough. Many days it’s extremely tough.

But it’s been that way for months. 

Suffering either way!

Here's what Alto said last:

And I repeat.  You've done an excellent job reporting!!!  Can you give us some more of the daily logs?

Sending all the healing intentions in the universe Nik.  And gentle hugs.

mmt

Nikki xxx

Edited by Nikki74
Extra info

Ps the itching has stopped

• Administrator

Hello, Nikki. Moving house is one of those highly stressful life events. Very sorry you have to contend with this, too. Please hang in there.

Still, you've had improvements!

2 hours ago, Nikki74 said:

Sleep has returned to 7-8 hours

Diahrea is still Daily and quite bad but has lessened in the past four days. ...

I take the lexapro, the dramatic adverse reaction has lowered. Generally now taking it takes the edge off what I assume are wd symptoms.

2 hours ago, Nikki74 said:

Ps the itching has stopped

Lexapro reduced to 2.5mg on July 1. Please update your signature when you have a chance.

It looks to me like you might split up the clonazepam doses even more, but wait until you're settled in your new home. When will that be?

25 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Hello, Nikki. Moving house is one of those highly stressful life events. Very sorry you have to contend with this, too. Please hang in there.

Thank you Alto

Still, you've had improvements!

Do you think? It’s hard for me to tell. I guess the adverse reaction has improved. But I’m still suffering a lot with the akathisia.

Lexapro reduced to 2.5mg on July 1. Please update your signature when you have a chance.

I reduced it to 4.5mg. I only did the cutvto 2.5mg on the 1st then got scared, as I mentioned before.

It looks to me like you might split up the clonazepam doses even more, but wait until you're settled in your new home. When will that be?

Ok. Moving in Wednesday so at least a week after that to settle some.

Thank you Alto

• Administrator

Nikki, if you're having diarrhea frequently, you must make sure to keep hydrated. You might also need magnesium and potassium supplements to maintain electrolyte balance.

37 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Nikki, if you're having diarrhea frequently, you must make sure to keep hydrated. You might also need magnesium and potassium supplements to maintain electrolyte balance.

I’m drinking lots of water.

are those supplements ok with akathisia?  Thank you

• Administrator

Yes, you might find magnesium glycinate calming.

When was the last time your electrolyte balance was checked with a blood test? It's important to keep this in the normal range.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/22/2018 at 10:49 PM, Altostrata said:

Yes, you might find magnesium glycinate calming.

When was the last time your electrolyte balance was checked with a blood test? It's important to keep this in the normal range.

I’m sorry not to have replied. My bloods were checked about 2 months ago but not sure if electrolytes were checked.

I’ve been off the site as we moved house and things have been very tough.

My symptoms and drug reactions are all over the place.

Since cutting .5mg from lexapro, overall the adverse reaction has much reduced. The wd symptoms have been pretty awful as the weeks have gone by. After week 4 of the cut, the akathisia suddenly got much worse. It’s never mild though. I have it as I’ve always had it around the clock only eased at night by the Mirtazipine for sleep.

I got desperate and tried a .25mg cut about ten days ago, thinking maybe the worsening akathisia was because my body wanted less of the drug. Within 48 hours the panic and terror was extreme. I reinstated that cut so am back to 4.5mg lexapro.

Yesterday was horrific:

Slept 8 hours, with one wake up at 5am

woke with anxiety and akathisia at 8am

8.15 took 4.5mg lexapro, increase adrenaline, panic and terror, felt like I was going insane. Bad akathisia 

9.15 .42 Klonopin, Mental symptoms, terror, intrusive thoughts, panic, akathisia all intense until 1pm (I often get a panic attack now when I take the benzo, and a surge in adrenaline and akathisia), crying, can’t stop moving, feelings of going insane as mental symptoms and panic so intense. V bad depression. Shivering. 

1pm brief lowering of akathisia, able to keep legs still, lowering of mental symptoms 

2pm-5pm pacing, kicking legs, high agitation mentally and physically, severe depression, terror, panic, just awful.

5pm take .375 Klonopin, surge in adrenaline, head squeezing depression and tears (I’ve had that reaction to the Klonopin since day one), spent an hour moving, twisting, legs needing to rise up, hands bending inwards, tears, akathisia awful. Mental agitation v bad like it was all day.

6pm things eased off

mentally very slow, unable to think straight, restless all evening but akathisia and mental symptoms somewhat ‘sedated’.

Bed 10.30, 11pm 15mg Mirtazipine, slept 9 hours.

This has increasingly been my experience with the odd day where things are less intense.

The only drug I don’t get a bizarre, awful reaction to is the Mirtazipine.

The akathisia makes me very desperate. Depression is pretty much a constant now. It’s been 14 months since the cts that started me on this hellish road and akathisia has not left once. 

I do not know what to do. I just know, somehow, I need to be free of these drugs. Any advice appreciated.

A note on smoking. I’m smoking twice what I was at Christmas and the akathisia seems to ‘drive’ it but I also feel it feeds it somewhat too. I have a vape but am too scared to use it because I don’t know how the change in chemicals will affect me, it’s hard to know if I’m taking in more nicotine and it’s still nicotine! 

I simply wish I could stop. 

Looking back, I started vaping early 2016 and I started getting extreme anxiety, muscle twitching, full body shaking etc a few months later, I had been on 22.5mg lexapro for several years by then. I’ve always wondered if that was the start of the akathisia and if the vaping played any part in it.

I feel very scared at how bad things are, my drug reactions and how bad the .25mg cut was that I didn’t stick with (I reinstated back to 4.5mg after four days, that was 6 days ago). I hope I’ve not messed up.

I never level out. Not in the whole past 14 months.

• Moderator Emeritus
7 hours ago, Nikki74 said:

Since cutting .5mg from lexapro, overall the adverse reaction has much reduced. The wd symptoms have been pretty awful as the weeks have gone by. After week 4 of the cut, the akathisia suddenly got much worse. It’s never mild though. I have it as I’ve always had it around the clock only eased at night by the Mirtazipine for sleep.

I got desperate and tried a .25mg cut about ten days ago, thinking maybe the worsening akathisia was because my body wanted less of the drug. Within 48 hours the panic and terror was extreme. I reinstated that cut so am back to 4.5mg lexapro.

Thanks for the update, Nikki. Please keep your signature updated with when you make reductions. It would be good to have a timeline for this. When did you reduce down to 4.5 mg? I know you were at 4.5 mg as of July 9 from this post, but please keep this in your signature so moderators aren't having to re-read your thread (we are much more likely to make a mistake doing so). 

A direct link to your signature is here:

Account - settings - create or edit your signature

On 6/30/2018 at 3:53 PM, Nikki74 said:

I didn’t go to hospital today, I phoned the nhs helpline around 9am and based on my heart rate being persistently high for over an hour they sent an ambulance. This was after taking the lexapro. I had not yet taken the benzo.

It’s gone severe like this the last two days directly after taking the lexapro. 

About 6 weeks ago, the akathisia, heart rate, and other symptoms were so severe you called the hospital. The symptoms were related to the Lexapro and not the benzo, as you said you hadn't taken the benzo yet. 

From what I'm reading from your last post (please correct me if I'm wrong), the morning benzo is causing more problems than the evening, so your symptoms may be more related to the Lexapro. 

But I'm interested in your thoughts - Do you feel the Lexapro is more problematic than the benzo? 

On 7/14/2018 at 5:10 AM, Nikki74 said:

Taking the lexapro is making me itch now. I noticed this started yesterday in addition to the other adverse effects. This happens within 15-20 minutes of me taking it. Plus muscle twitching, shaking and adrenaline surge, heart rate increase, akathisia increase.

Has the itching symptom resolved? 

7 hours ago, Nikki74 said:

How are you feeling now? Did reinstating back to the 4.5 mg Lexapro dose help? 

Edited by Shep
added information

• Administrator

Nikki, exactly what happened the last time you reduced Lexapro? Were the symptoms worse than the ones you have now?

30 minutes ago, Shep said:

Thanks for the update, Nikki. Please keep your signature updated with when you make reductions. It would be good to have a timeline for this. When did you reduce down to 4.5 mg? I know you were at 4.5 mg as of July 9 from this post, but please keep this in your signature so moderators aren't having to re-read your thread (we are much more likely to make a mistake doing so). 

Thanks Shep, have updated but had to squeeze things in as it wasn’t allowing too much detail. I cut to 4.5mg lex on 2nd July. 

I tried the .25mg cut on Thur 9th August then reinstated to 4.5mg on Monday 13th Aug. Have put in signature.

A direct link to your signature is here:

Account - settings - create or edit your signature

About 6 weeks ago, the akathisia, heart rate, and other symptoms were so severe you called the hospital. The symptoms were related to the Lexapro and not the benzo, as you said you hadn't taken the benzo yet. 

From what I'm reading from your last post (please correct me if I'm wrong), the morning benzo is causing more problems than the evening, so your symptoms may be more related to the Lexapro. 

Yes, although the evening benzo I get between 30mins-an hour of craziness after taking. Tonight it was dry retching after taking, shaking, panic, brain squeezing and depression. I also dry retched with the morning dose.

But I'm interested in your thoughts - Do you feel the Lexapro is more problematic than the benzo? 

This is the thing that is doing my head in, aside from wds, because I cannot work it out. 

I have never felt ok on the Klonopin and I have been depressed on it since I started. Plus the variable reactions I get to taking it, then they ease off, particularly with the evening dose, but I’m left more and more like a zombie by it on the evenings.

The lexapro is mostly activating but the severe reaction has largely reduced massively. But it does seem to give me a long adrenaline surge still and increase the akathisia.

Since the reduction, Ive been waking with worse akathisia and sometimes shaking and feel a desperate need almost to take the lexapro, occasionally I get a reduction in symptoms and even feel drowsy for a time before the akathisia worsens again within the hour.

Has the itching symptom resolved? 

Yes, that didn’t last long.

How are you feeling now? Did reinstating back to the 4.5 mg Lexapro dose help? 

I’m not feeling like the reinstating helped much, still getting absolutely awful spells of terror/panic but when I cut the .25mg I was waking in sheer panic and the DR was very bad. I’m not waking in sheer panic now but it’s through the day v intense at times like I’m losing my mind!

Just a note that 4 weeks into the 4.5mg I suddenly got two and a half days where things became more bearable (27th-29th July), aka was a bit lower and only brief spells of terror. Then it was like I’d cut again as the symptoms went crazy after that. Panic, terror, depression, aka awful until I tried that .25mg cut hoping it might help! It didn’t. Well the aka seemed to lower a little but the mental symptom were extreme, panic like I’ve never known in all this experience so far!

I’m truly disheartened by how severely I reacted to that smaller cut and by how bad the akathisia is, the panic and terror and generally the whole situation. Including the awful time I have taking both the lex and k.

I’m trying to figure out the worst one...

Not sure if any of this is much help?!

I am very very scared by how bad the akathisia is getting whatever I do.

The only things I’ve noticed that are positive is that since dropping to 4.5mg I’ve been able to watch tv a bit more, I had three days (actually during the .25mg reduction) where I was randomly inspired to draw for the first time in forever, and I seem more heavily sedated by the Mirtazipine which isn’t a great feeling but maybe suggests some activation has gone from the lex?!