Jump to content
JoLe

Using a digital scale to measure doses

Recommended Posts

brassmonkey

If you take the average weight of 10 of the pills you'll find that its going to be 0.240g this would also be referred to as 240mgpw (milligrams pill weight).  The easiest way to calculate your reduced dose is to multiply the average pill weight by 0.9. which will give you 216mgpw.  This will correspond with a dose of 18mgai (milligrams active ingredient) which is what you are looking for.  So weigh 0.216 on the scale and you'll be good to go.

 

The next time you want to reduce start with your current dose weight which will be 216 and multiply that by 0.9 which will give a dose weight of 195mgpw.  Then keep going with the similar calculations for each new dose.

 

BTW it's never a bother for us to help calculate a dose, so if in doubt ask.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ChessieCat

BrassMonkey beat me to posting but I'll post anyway because I've broken it down which much help you to understand the concept.

 

active ingredient in a tablet is abbreviated mgai

pill weight of tablet abbreviated mgpw

 

20 mgai = 240 mgpw = 0.240 gpw (what it reads on the scale)

 

To make a 10% reduction you multiply the current dose by 0.9 so you would multiply all figures by 0.9

 

20 mgai x 0.9  =  18 mgai

240 mgpw x 0.9  =  216 mgpw

0.240 gpw x 0.9  =  0.216 gpw (what it reads on the scale)

 

Edited by ChessieCat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
meagain

You guys are the BEST!, thank-you doing it right now, thanks again this makes it much easier.

 

Another question if it's off by a bit is that ok? example. one tablet .216   next tablet .217, next tablet .215?  I turn the scale off and on a couple times to make sure, I'm also taring it out with a 10G weight in the center then place the tablet on top of the weight which is in the center of the plate.

 

Thanks again!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
meagain
4 hours ago, brassmonkey said:

If you take the average weight of 10 of the pills you'll find that its going to be 0.240g this would also be referred to as 240mgpw (milligrams pill weight).  The easiest way to calculate your reduced dose is to multiply the average pill weight by 0.9. which will give you 216mgpw.  This will correspond with a dose of 18mgai (milligrams active ingredient) which is what you are looking for.  So weigh 0.216 on the scale and you'll be good to go.

 

The next time you want to reduce start with your current dose weight which will be 216 and multiply that by 0.9 which will give a dose weight of 195mgpw.  Then keep going with the similar calculations for each new dose.

 

BTW it's never a bother for us to help calculate a dose, so if in doubt ask.

Thankyou Brassmonkey!  This makes more sense now, on the second month 216 x 0.9= 194.4 I'm guessing always round it off to the highest? So my 3rd month would be 195 x 0.9= 175.5 or (176mgai) then 4th month 176 x 0.9=158.4 or (159mgai) etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
meagain
4 hours ago, ChessieCat said:

BrassMonkey beat me to posting but I'll post anyway because I've broken it down which much help you to understand the concept.

 

active ingredient in a tablet is abbreviated mgai

pill weight of tablet abbreviated mgpw

 

20 mgai = 240 mgpw = 0.240 gpw (what it reads on the scale)

 

To make a 10% reduction you multiply the current dose by 0.9 so you would multiply all figures by 0.9

 

20 mgai x 0.9  =  18 mgai

240 mgpw x 0.9  =  216 mgpw

0.240 gpw x 0.9  =  0.216 gpw (what it reads on the scale)

 

Thankyou ChessieCat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ChessieCat
6 minutes ago, meagain said:

Thankyou Brassmonkey!  This makes more sense now, on the second month 216 x 0.9= 194.4 I'm guessing always round it off to the highest? So my 3rd month would be 195 x 0.9= 175.5 or (176mgai) then 4th month 176 x 0.9=158.4 or (159mgai) etc.

 

Yes, always round up, then make the next reduction calculated on the rounded up dose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
matt7777

Hi,

I purchased the Gemini-20 scale. I am trying to taper down by 8% from a 25mg Seroquel capsule. When I put the Seroquel capsule on the scale, I get readings that vary from .065 to .063 to .066 etc, every time I weigh the same capsule! So I am wondering if I should just take an average of say 5 readings for that capsule?

 

Also, when I weigh the capsule, should I close the lid of the Gemini-20 scale in order to protect the scale from any air movement?

 

After I take the average of the five weighings of the Seroquel 25mg tab, then I multiply that number by 92% to come up with my new target capsule size. Then I start shaving away with a razor blade. I try to weigh the capsule (after I shave) five times to see where I am relative to the target weight.

 

My issue is that every time I weigh the capsule, I get a different reading. So does taking the average of say five readings, make sense?

 

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rabe

Hi Mat....Im glad you asked this as I am encountering the same thing with my gemini scale....I can take the same capsule and weigh it different times and it weighs differently...not as off as the compounding but I have wondered about it.  Hoping to get an answer....take care!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
brassmonkey

Matt-- those readings are right in line with where they should be. There is going to be some minor fluctuation in the readings. When it comes down to it 1mg is a very small amount and there are any number of thing that can cause the reading to vary that small amount. Any air currents will do it, any vibrations of the table, dirty hands, all of them can throw off the reading by a little.  The thing is it doesn't really matter.  The active ingredient in the capsule is a very small percentage of the total weight. Generally the weight of the active ingredient is about 5% of the total weight and frequently less.  So if your measured weights vary by 1mg the weight of the active ingredient may vary by 0.05mg. You need an extremely expensive scale and a laboratory to measure that small.  When it comes to doing a taper that amount doesn't even count.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
matt7777
27 minutes ago, brassmonkey said:

When it comes to doing a taper that amount doesn't even count.

 

Actually, it kind of does seem to me to matter. I have a 25mg pill of Seroquel. My objective is to taper 1mg a week. With the amount of error that seems to be going on with the scale, the error appears in range to whether I am indeed tapering at 1mg or say 1.5mg.

 

The only way I have come up with to deal with these various readings is to average them, and hope for the best.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
brassmonkey

What is the actual weight when you put a whole pill on the scale?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
matt7777

The weight of a 25mg pill varies, generally around .065....whatever metric that is for the scale.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Songbird

If the scale is in gram mode (should be a little "g" showing) that would be 0.065g ( = 65mg). 

 

I understand your concern, matt, and taking an average sounds reasonable to me, if rather time-consuming.  I wouldn't worry too much about small variances as they're likely to even out over a few days, and overall your dose amount will be reducing over the weeks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.