likemusic: is there life with anhedonia?

likemusic

Hello. My name is A and up until 2007, I was a happy well adjusted individual (loving, caring and with a huge amount of empathy for others) with a young family, who was very content with life.

Due to an situation at work, I became anxious, and this anxiety did not subside. I visited my doctor, who immediately prescribed Citalopram (Citalex) - will hereafter refer to as C). My doctor did not suggest getting off these as soon as possible, instead recommending I stay on them in case I had a relapse (do they recommend cancer drugs to patients in remission). The possible consequences of this course of action were never explained to me.

I have been on them pretty much ever since (and when they were working they worked fine), but I have had several attempts to get off them, with no success. I instead became depressed and was put back onto C. My most recent attempt was in mid-December 2016, and initially things appeared to be going OK, in that is I was functioning as would be expected, but without the medication. Unfortunately, my mood deteriorated. I was again signed off sick from work, and despite a further prescription of C (which I have discovered I can now not tolerate - instead it gave me severe headaches and made me confused) I am now totally anhedonic.

The question I would like replies to address is whether this state is likely to be permanent, and if so, how do those in a similar sad situation cope with never feeling any pleasure whatsoever. I know I love my family, but there is no "warm fuzzy" feeling inside, just this deadness, whereas before there was love and empathy. What do other forum members feel has been the cause of their depression - life in general (with its ups and downs) or the fact that they have been on an antidepressant for a long time without which, ultimately, their body could not function, i.e. it was the drug itself that led to a depressive state?

• ChessieCat changed the title to likemusic: Is there life with anhedonia?
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Likemusic,

Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants (SA).  I am glad that you found the site.  You will find a wealth of information on this site to help you understand how these drugs affect the central nervous system, particularly when taken long-term.  The "deadness" you feel is a common complaint of many on this site and your story really hit home for me.

The motivation for me to get off of Effexor was because I was dealing with some of the very issues that you speak of in your post.  I clearly remember sitting in the car one day and started to wonder why it seemed like I couldn't feel love or emotion anymore, it actually felt like I was empty inside, that I no longer had the ability to feel, similar to what you describe as deadness, and unfortunately for me, I wasn't able to put two and two together at the time and continued taking antidepressants.  Fast forward another ten years or so, and I started having difficulty recalling words and a host of other issues.  It was like my brain was slowly deteriorating long before old age was going to settle in.  Finally I decided to start doing research on the effects of antidepressants only to find out that countless other people were experiencing the exact same issues, emotionless, brain fog, word recall, and on and on.  Basically I think the mechanism by which antidepressants work, and this is my simple theory, is to flatten out your emotions so you don't get depressed but unfortunately that comes at a very high cost as it also flattens out the highs ... to me if felt like I had been lobotomized and was going through the motions of life rather than actually living it ... no highs, no real lows but just a general feeling of nothingness ... I could feel anger and frustration though, so not the best way to live life.  I tried to get off of antidepressants a couple of times over the years with horrific results, brain zaps and the full gamut of withdrawal symptoms and quickly ended up back on a full dose of the drug.  Still I had a nagging feeling that I needed to get off of this drug, found this site and have not looked back.  As I have reduced lower and lower, my emotions are very slowly starting to bubble to the surface and I am much more engaged in life.  I'm actually starting to regain my ability to enjoy things like reading, music and socializing which I used to enjoy immensely but after starting antidepressants I noticed that things that once gave me pleasure no longer had much appeal.  It feels like I was robbed of my very nature and for that I am saddened and angry that I ever started taking this medication and wish I could turn back time.  Sorry for the long-winded story, your thread really resonated with me and wanted to give you a little hope that things will likely get better for you as well, unfortunately it just takes time.  

Now to get to your situation ... often when a person discontinues an antidepressant and then stops them for a period of time, when they try to reintroduce the drug they are no longer able to tolerate it due to what is known as kindling.  Kindling is another name for hypersensitive reactions to neurologically active substances.  And because your receptors may have adjusted somewhat (upregulated) during the time you were off the drug,  your central nervous system has become highly sensitized and the reason you were no longer able to tolerate citalopram.  I've included a link below on limbic kindling below:

Limbic Kindling - Hardwiring the Brain for Hypersensitivity 

It is now generally accepted that antidepressants can cause physical dependence and a withdrawal syndrome, so that stopping antidepressants can commonly lead to withdrawal problems, that these problems may be severe in some instances but are generally less severe, and that these problems may last for months but are more often over within weeks. This piece outlines what is known about states of persisting difficulty and what can be done to remedy them.  The characteristic symptoms include “depression”, depersonalisation, agitation/akathisia, a generally labile state and stress intolerance.

Post-Acute Withdrawal Syndrome - How long does it last?

I am going to attach a couple of links to discussions on anhedonia and emotional numbness that might help explain and how other members have coped.

Anhedonia, Apathy, Demotivation, Emotional Numbness

Emotional Numbness on and off Drugs

It sounds like you have been on and off Citalopram many times over the years and wonder if you would complete your withdrawal history signature so that we have more information on your particular situation.  You can find the instructions below:

Instructions:  Withdrawal History Signature

Please feel free to connect with other members by posting in their introduction topic, Surviving Antidepressants has a supportive community, know what you are going through and are here to help.  If you have any questions, or need clarification please post back here in your introduction topic and one of the moderators will get back to you.

Edited by baroquep

Current Prescription Drugs for Hypothyroidism:  Synthroid 100mcg / Cytomel 5mcg (15 years Pristiq/Effexor)

Tapering Schedule
September 15, 2016 - switched from Pristiq 50mg to Effexor XR 75mg; November 10, 2016 - reduced to 67.5 Effexor XR
December 9, 2016 - reduced 60.75
January 5, 2017 - reduced 54.67
January 30, 2017 - reduced to 49.0
February 20, 2017 - reduced to 44.0 
May 20, 2017 - reduced to 40.25 (holding for additional month due to late onset of withdrawal symptoms after this taper)
July 17, 2017 - reduced to 38.24
August 15, 2017 - reduced to 37.5 (50% of my original dose)

October 15, 2017 - reduced to 35.6

November 12, 2017 - reduced to 33.8
December 15, 2017 - up-dose to 35.6
December 28, 2017 - up-dose to 37.5

^^^ good stuff above, but I don't know if the feeling (if it even is a "feeling" since we can't really feel) goes away.

i been flat for awhile now too. Music, movies, people .... none of it gives me any emotion anymore. I can't even cry. Physically cannot cry. It's messed up. With all the research I've done I haven't cone across any cure or solution. I didn't taper meds down so it might be worse than those who did. But in my opinion it's all the same. We all get screwed. Good luck -_-

Edited by ChessieCat
removed obscenity

Risperidone - started at 10mg

Decreased to 1mg within the month

Abilify - started at 10mg

Decreased to 1mg

[Oct - Nov 2016]

Continued for approx. 2 - 3 weeks upon psych ward release

Invega injection one time

[Feb 2017]

Hello to you both. Thanks for responding so quickly.

So is this then? I'll never enjoy the feeling of the sun on my face, or being clean (never mind love for my family, and empathy for others. If so, what is the point in carrying on (even if it causes others such emotional suffering as I can't imagine). My friend came up with what I consider to be a brilliant analogy - for those not on these poisons, the glass is half full or half empty, but what about if there is no glass (anhedonia)?

AAP. You mentioned a few things I'd like a bit more info on, although by the sounds of it you have been very unlucky.

Firstly your history with these poisons seems to be quite short. I take it that's correct?

Second, you mention you didn't taper down, but as you were in hospital, surely this was done for you? If you don't mind, would you broadly share why you ended up in the situation that you were in by Oct 2016.

Did your mood change whilst you were in hospital, i.e. you became "normal", and could still experience pleasure, or was the place you are currently in already there at the time of your discharge?

As to now, are you working and how do you cope with feeling nothing if you are?

And finally, are you on anything now. It might be that, regrettably, and as much as I don't countenance or recommend this, you might need to find an AD / AS that works, and then stay on it for the rest of your life - the so called maintenance dose.

My situation is a little different, in that I had been on C for almost a decade and when I was on it I was stable and generally happy / content, with a reasonably normal range of emotions (although curiously, I could never cry either, although things did make me sad, but then again, most people rarely cry, but I still had bags of empathy), . Problems only emerged when, severl times, I tried to get off it, but going back on C eventually made my mood return as it had before, as would my concentration, and sharpness, etc. It's this last time that is the problem. The brain fog has only occurred since discontinuing the drug. So Baroquep, perhaps not quite the same as yourself. I'll see what my doctor can give me about my withdrawal history (I can't remember).

I too have a theory about how these toxins work, and I would happily share it with anyone who has the interest to read it. It fits many holes (but not that where some souls get worse on these things, that I can't account for), but sadly it does not make positive reading. Let me know?

Wishing each and every one of you the best of luck, with love (from my empty heart).

3 minutes ago, likemusic said:

So is this then? I'll never enjoy the feeling of the sun on my face, or being clean (never mind love for my family, and empathy for others. If so, what is the point in carrying on (even if it causes others such emotional suffering as I can't imagine). My friend came up with what I consider to be a brilliant analogy - for those not on these poisons, the glass is half full or half empty, but what about if there is no glass (anhedonia)?

AAP. You mentioned a few things I'd like a bit more info on, although by the sounds of it you have been very unlucky.

Firstly your history with these poisons seems to be quite short. I take it that's correct?

Second, you mention you didn't taper down, but as you were in hospital, surely this was done for you? If you don't mind, would you broadly share why you ended up in the situation that you were in by Oct 2016.

Did your mood change whilst you were in hospital, i.e. you became "normal", and could still experience pleasure, or was the place you are currently in already there at the time of your discharge?

And finally, are you on anything now. It might be that, regrettably, and as much as I don't countenance or recommend this, you might need to find an AD / AS that works, and then stay on it for the rest of your life - the so called maintenance dose.

My situation is a little different, in that I had been on C for almost a decade and when I was on it I was stable and generally happy / content, with a reasonably normal range of emotions (although curiously, I could never cry either, although things did make me sad, but then again, most people rarely cry, but I still had bags of empathy), . Problems only emerged when, severl times, I tried to get off it, but going back on C eventually made my mood return as it had before, as would my concentration, and sharpness, etc. It's this last time that is the problem. The brain fog has only occurred since discontinuing the drug. So Baroquep, perhaps not quite the same as yourself. I'll see what my doctor can give me about my withdrawal history (I can't remember).

I too have a theory about how these toxins work, and I would happily share it with anyone who has the interest to read it. It fits many holes (but not that where some souls get worse on these things, that I can't account for), but sadly it does not make positive reading. Let me know?

Wishing each and every one of you the best of luck, with love (from my empty heart).

dont be discouraged by negative posts, ive been off medication almost 6 months and the last few months I am starting to enjoy things again and most of my old emotions have come back, stay positive and keep strong

2001 - 2005 prozac,  2001 - 2017 various benzos, mainly diazapem and zanex,  2002 - 2017 olanzapine or seroquel,  2002 -2017 propanolol, 2005 - 2009 venlafaxine 75mg , forced to go cold turkey off venlafaxine as moved Thailand, doctor cut me off and couldn't get it there, severely ill for over 2 years, countered withdrawals with more zanex and seroquel

2014 returned to UK, mainly to get treatment getting off meds

doctor advised to taper seroquel over a few weeks, severely ill and bed bed-bound so reinstated it, 2015 tapered seroquel myself slower over a few months, was off it 2 months and was too ill so went on olanzapine, became zombie and too tired to get out of bed, went back on seroquel, very depressed so went back on venlafaxine, didnt work  so doctor swapped to zoloft became very agitated so back on venlafaxine

June 2016 - felt strong enough to begin tapering again, started what I thought was a slow taper of all meds,  2016 July Not had any alcoholic drink since this date, 

2016 October completely off diazepem, 2017 Feb completely off seroquel, 2017 March completely off proponanlol, 2017 April (day before birthday) completely off venlafaxine, OFF ALL MEDS 11/4/2017, was fine for nearly 3 months and then delayed withdrawal hit,

supplements taking: turmeric capsules, NiaCel (nicotinamide riboside), Vit B12 sublingual, Vit B3, Vit B6, Vit B1, apple cider vinegar, manuka umf 10 honey, camu camu powder,  melatonin when needed, epsom salt baths, juices, smoothies, 

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15175-dj2010-off-all-meds-for-3-months-and-been-fine-now-bad-insomnia/

6 hours ago, likemusic said:

Yeah it's the discontinuing that gets us all. It's like the drug attaches to your brain, rewires it, and so it adapts to the point that when you stop, it's like the brain can't define what's going on. doctors won't tell you that though. they'll just claim your psychotic & give you different pills. it's a terrible cycle

Risperidone - started at 10mg

Decreased to 1mg within the month

Abilify - started at 10mg

Decreased to 1mg

[Oct - Nov 2016]

Continued for approx. 2 - 3 weeks upon psych ward release

Invega injection one time

[Feb 2017]

• 7 months later...

Hello. One for the moderators perhaps, but any reassurance would help.

Has anyone ever written about their AD stopping working, and switching didn't help either and if so, what was the outcome?

I ask as I no longer responding to my AD.

Although I have posted an introduction, it might be easier to repeat my history here for reference.

Up to the age of 41, I was a totally normal human being in every regard, and certainly never depressed beyond life's norm.

In 2007, a specific situation at work caused me to develop anxiety and I was put on Citalopram 20mg. After 11 weeks, the drug finally became effective, and I returned to a "normal" existence with no difficulty.

In 2012, for a reason still not clear to me, I stopped taking the drug. After about 3 months, my brain understandably crashed. I became extremely anxious, anhedonic, non-functioning, with many of the symptoms described by Pug in another forum, pacing for up to 23 hours a day as my head felt so weird. I clearly recall that, at the time, and although even then I knew it was the drug (or lack of it), I still believed it was somehow my fault. I was hospitalised and put back on Citalopram, but at 40mg (the updosing referred to in another forum). After 17 1/2 weeks the drug eventually became effective again, and I again returned to a "normal" existence (went back to work, etc). However, looking back at things, I can now see that such a high dosage subtly changed my personality, but I had the normal range of emotions. Over time, I became happier and happier (although eventually my sleep started to become disturbed).

In about October 2016, as I had been "stable" for long enough I went to see my doctor with a view to coming off the drug. She did not see a problem, and put me on a brief taper (about 10 weeks). Things seemed to be OK. I discontinued the drug by mid-December 2016, with no difficulty, and continued life as normal until June 2017, when I crashed for a second time, because the taper was far too fast.

I was eventualy hospitalised for a second time in late October 2017, and put on Venlaxafine, which was increased to 250mg daily. That did not do anything after 12 weeks, and I could not tolerated the "skin-crawling" side effect, so I returned to Citalopram 40 mg. However after a further 12 weeks there was still no improvement. That was 2 weeks ago, when I stopped completely. The only change I have noticed since then is that I no longer have a headache.

So here I am, totally anhedonic (and I mean totally), and without any real emotions, because of what the drug has done to me. I have absolutely no appetite and sleep is difficult and sporadic. I have this constant physical sensation that part of my brain has stopped working. I do not often experience the brain "zaps" that I have read about, but when I do, it is more like a dull electrical tingling sensation. I have sensory disturbances, particularly to my vision. I can't watch TV, listen to music (it all seems flat) or read.

My question is this. Has anyone else experienced anything remotely similar, and if so what was the outcome? Have any of the moderators read about a member posting something similar?

I have read that ADs can become ineffective over time, particularly when the original reason for prescription was not depression but rather anxiety or panic attacks. One case I read about involved a man whose AD  eventually became ineffective, and he did not respond to up-dosing, or ECT either. The only option his doctor could think of was discontinuing the medication and hoping that time would allow the poor man's brain to adjust, heal and recover. I could not find a follow up though.

As I am no longer on the drug, I have to believe that, given enough time, my brain will eventually restore itself to homeostasis, and I will eventually recover and become myself again before the drug, as happened to Pug, as opposed to the changes wrought by the drug being so extreme that I can never recover. If I will recover, then at least I have hope to endure for however long ti takes for that to happen.

The though of so empty and soulless an existence without chance of recovery is too terrible to contemplate.

2 hours ago, likemusic said:

My question is this. Has anyone else experienced anything remotely similar, and if so what was the outcome? 

I am facing similar issues with physical side too.

Not me , but there are many here who have had the same experience.

08/13 - 01/14
Olanzapine, petril MD (Clonazepam ), Dicorate ER (divalproex). Soza 10 (Zolpidem)

02/14 - 05/14
Flunil ​20mg , Divaa OD 250 mg(divalproex), Amisulpride 50mg (1-0-2), zolfresh 5 mg , Quetiapine
05/14 - 08/14 Venlafaxine 75 xr ( 1-0-1), zapiz 0.25
10/14 Zaptra 12.5mg , Oxetol xr 150mg (0-0-1)
11/14 - 08/15
Paris CR 25 (paroxetine) , Oxetol xr 600 mg (0-0-1), nitrest 5mg , Quetiapine for a month.
09/15-11 Venlafaxine XR 75 ( 1-0-1), Mirtazipine 15, Respiredal 0.5, Lamitor 25, zillion 10.
12/15-02/16 Off Meds (C.T)

03/16-Mid April Sertraline, Aripropazole, Quetiapine, Etizolam.

After that : CT and on OTC supplements (Roadback), now on Ayurveda

I'm experiencing just as you described. Have a look through my thread

late July...lexapro 10 seroquel 25.....due to mild depression......adverse reaction, suicidal thoughts, hospitalization

August....felt that meds were ripping stomach apart....docs didn't believe me..upped meds to seroquel 125, lexapro 20, mirtazapine 30, olanzapine 20....stayed on these drugs unitl mid november......severe anhedonia all the time...mid novemeber 2016 , began taper.....very small windows of emotion...Christmas....off everything by Christmas day......last six weeks, cried and laughed on a number of occasions for first time since taking initial meds....8 occasions of strong emotion over 6 weeks in ealry 2016.......doubting recovery......

BIG WINDOW IN july 2017, felt incredible, lasted a month or so, felt close to recovered...window left, september to Chrimstas 17 was anhedonic hell.....Turn of the year, January 2018, some very strong days (a window) offering renewed hope

back to hell until late February 2018, strong 10 day window....followed by anhedonic wave for 7 months straight! not a flicker of normalcy

September 2018 ...incredible window...followed by three month wave.January 2019.... a strong window

window subsided, but new baseline was higher.....life since January 2019 ( 9 months and counting) has been far better. Complete anhedonia is gone!! God, I've tears writing that. I am far from recovered, but far from hell...to use a scale, if life is rated out of a hundred, I was about minus 50 for the majority of 2 years..I know feel about 30 per cent of self, experiences intermittent flickers of normal life regularly....My days have more quality and I am optimistic of recovery. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Nicolantana,

I too am sorry that you r GP properly messed you up. i hope things are continuing to improve with you.

Please don't take offence, but I'm not sure however that we are in the same place. From your posts, it seem that at least you seem to be able experience some emotion from time to time. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I was on my "poison" for a much longer time than you, and since mid-June 2017 have not experienced any pleasure in anything whatsoever, and by this I mean, the sun on my face, or a "refreshing" breeze. I can't smile, laugh or feel sad. Nothing seems to have an effect like it should and I remember it did. Also, I am completely non-emotional. God forbid, but one of my kids could die tomorrow, and I would feel nothing. My appetite is completely non-existent, and I have to pretty much force myself to eat food that I do not "want", nor am able to enjoy.

It's a truly completely unholy, un-natural and inhumane state to be in. Attempts at reintroduction failed as it seems the drugs that i tried were no longer effective, so I am in this hellhole of a state until things improve. As I have only been completely off everything for 4 weeks, it would seem that I am in the very early stages of what I expect to be a very long and tortuous recovery. The only positive I can thing of currently is that since, coming off completely, I have been able to sleep better - between 4 and five hours some nights which hopefully is a very good thing, s it will give my brain the best opportunity to heal, I say sleep. but it doesn't feel "natural" as I do not feel "sleepy" beforehand nor rested when I wake. It just is, and the only indication I have that I must have slept is that time has passed.

It currently physically feels like part of my brain has died. This is from when I wake to when I sleep every day currently. All I want to do currently is pace constantly as my head feels so f***ing odd all the time. I have had other sensations in my head which might be described as brain zaps, and my brain being on fire about June/July last year when i was trying re-introduction, as well as other effects including severe vertigo. It's so hard to describe. And this has been for a year already and I have no idea how long it will persist. The anhedonia is definitely the worst thing. It's like the logical part of my brain is shouting "I am NOT depressed" yet the emotional part is saying "bad luck - the poison you were on has completely f***ed me, and it will take me a long time to return to how I should be". I get very frustrated. I know that I should feel and hate the fact that I can't. I am also logically scared stiff all of the time (I can't be properly scared as that is an emotion I cannot feel currently). Wish me luck. Let's keep in touch with good news if there is any.

I'll try and post to keep things updated.

1 hour ago, likemusic said:

It's so hard to describe. 

Yes it is bcoz there is no name defined to the symptoms that we suffer.

And I feel sorry for each of us who suffer.

The anhedonia is definitely the worst thing

I feel it is the longest of my wdl  symptoms  to show any improvement yet. But I am able to sit atleast in home and has appetite on 50-60% scale.

Thus, I can say using me and others here that your symptoms will subside by time. Keep trying and have a hope maintained ( I need to add 'maintain' as I still feel wavy when some big event occurs.)

And yes, please  keep us posted. 

If sth helps you with anhedonia.. Pls do mention here so that it can help us.

Bhasski

08/13 - 01/14
Olanzapine, petril MD (Clonazepam ), Dicorate ER (divalproex). Soza 10 (Zolpidem)

02/14 - 05/14
Flunil ​20mg , Divaa OD 250 mg(divalproex), Amisulpride 50mg (1-0-2), zolfresh 5 mg , Quetiapine
11/14 - 08/15
Paris CR 25 (paroxetine) , Oxetol xr 600 mg (0-0-1), nitrest 5mg , Quetiapine for a month.
09/15-11 Venlafaxine XR 75 ( 1-0-1), Mirtazipine 15, Respiredal 0.5, Lamitor 25, zillion 10.

Also @rupa  has mentioned a small recipe which I think you should try. Its on her thread very recent.

It can be of help.

08/13 - 01/14

02/14 - 05/14
11/14 - 08/15

• 8 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi likemusic, 

How are you doing?💚

Seroquel. 2019:➡️ From 7.25mg to 5.80mg✔️ 2020➡️From 5.60 to 4.80✔️ 2021➡️From 4.60 to 4.0✔️ 2022➡️From 3.95 to 3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️
2024➡️Jan15=3.20✔️ Feb19=3.15✔️ March26=3.10✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

• ChessieCat changed the title to likemusic: is there life with anhedonia?

Hi Carmie.

Thanks for asking. If there is any good news it's that I'm still here! I'm at week 41 which I never thought I'd make early on, so that's another thing that has improved ever so slightly. However the rest remains for now - I have noted over 50 physical symptoms, and about a dozen psychological ones during my withdrawal/recovery so far, but no new ones for a good while now, and some have gone away (akathisia and feeling like part of my brain were missing were the absolute worst). I just take one day at a time, relying of the knowledge I have gained from this site that ultimately, my body will adjust back to "as nature intended". The worst for me are feeling hot and nauseous pretty much all day every day, and this gets significantly worse in the early evening, which makes trying to sleep difficult, constantly dry and itchy skin (and not being able to sweat properly yet), the obvious psychological issues which have yet to resolve, but most importantly, knowledge of the effect all of this is having on my children. But I'm still here!

There is one question that you or anyone else who reads this can help me with, which is exercise. Currently I don't do anything, as I feel too ill, so I don't push myself. I know I look a very smelly mess as well - a further disincentive, but what was or is your approach to this? I was out for about 2 hours 2 days ago, helping with something in the back - not too strenuous, but physical all the same, and I felt terrible for the rest of that day and yesterday, although not too bad today at all (by comparison). Did you find it helped or made things worse, particularly on the mental "thinking" side? There is of course the big psychological plus that you have done "something" though.

I don't seem to be doing too badly on the thinking etc. front, although my ability to think clearly, remember, concentrate for long periods etc. is nowhere near what I would consider normal for myself, but of everything, that seems to be coming back the quickest.

How are you doing? Congratulations on your taper - that's a huge reduction you've made. I hope you can go all the way.

You're on seroquel? Have you been checked for type 2 diabetes. AstraZeneca lost in court in the US a few years ago now on this issue. To make matters worse for the people damaged by their drug, the final compensation bill was about $150m but the company spent about 4 times that on legal fees - what a broken system! Hopefully more and more people will pursue legal action against pharma and something might ultimately be done about these awful toxins. It didn't take them long to ban thalidomide, but, I suppose when you  consider that, for AZ alone, sales of ADs make up 25% of their global sales, and a bigger chunk of their profits by any measurement, there are about 40m in the US on these drugs, between 4 and 6m in the UK on them and who knows how many elsewhere, pharma is not going to admit these drugs are dangerous, toxic and habit forming. That's my rant for now.

Good luck and kind regards.

Likemusic.

PS. When I am "recovered" I hope I can get my moniker changed to what it should be - "love life and music"!

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi likemusic, 

I’m sorry you still have so many symptoms, but I’m glad that the akathisia has subsided. I think that’s the worst symptom ever!

You sound like you have a very good attitude despite everything you are going through. It’s not easy being positive in this journey, but we can’t change it, so we need to continue focusing on the positives and not put all our focus on the symptoms. I’ve found one of the things that has helped me the most is distractions. I have a million of them, arts and crafts, music, DVDs and Netflix, going out in nature, spending time with friends, word games, photography etc etc. I’m stuck in bed a lot because of my illness so I’ve made my bedroom a real happy place, with art, balloons, fairy lights etc.

As regards exercise, yes, it can certainly make your symptoms worse as it can ramp up the CNS too much. There are a few people that find strenuous exercise good for them, but the majority of people going through withdrawals will have an increase in symptoms. It’s best just to do very light exercise such as walking. I can’t exercise, except for some walking and stretching. My CNS is pretty wrecked though, as I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome as well. If I was to do too much I could end up in bed for a week. 

No, I don’t have diabetes, but I have read that Seroquel can cause it. I wonder if it’s still a risk on the low doses I’m on now?

By the way I’m a music lover too. I go to lots of concerts. The last one I went to was Keith Urban, it was incredible, he’s such a brilliant musician and guitar player. He’s really humble and down to earth too. He gave a young girl in the audience one of his guitars. I had to laugh because I thought now she’ll have to learn to play guitar.😂 I’m going to see Belinda Carlisle and 1927 this weekend. I’ve seen 1927 twice, but I’ve never seen Belinda. 

I wish you all the best on your continued healing journey 💚

Seroquel. 2019:➡️ From 7.25mg to 5.80mg✔️ 2020➡️From 5.60 to 4.80✔️ 2021➡️From 4.60 to 4.0✔️ 2022➡️From 3.95 to 3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️
2024➡️Jan15=3.20✔️ Feb19=3.15✔️ March26=3.10✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

• 1 year later...
  • Administrator

Hello, @likemusic, how are you doing?

To help us out, follow these instructions Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hello Altostrata.

The simple fact is that I cannot remember, hence why I have not completed this aspect of my signature.

As to how I am doing... not good. I have been in CT withdrawal for over 2 and a quarter years now. Whilst I did finally become functional in February this year, it is now waves and brief windows with a variety of physical ailments to boot (peripheral pain, and CFS being the worst), along with chronic anhedonia and de-personalisation. Things do seem to be improving but ever so slowly. I try to get out and about (in the sunshine particularly) but the summer here in the UK has been appaling (months of rain) so my mood is terrible too, but thanks for asking. I hope things are going well with you.

KR

likemusic

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi,

Thanks for coming back to update us on how you are.  It's good to hear that things are improving for you.

This topic was recently updated:

are-we-there-yet-how-long-is-withdrawal-going-to-take

summer here in the UK has been appaling (months of rain) so my mood is terrible too

Have you had your vitamin D level checked?

Have you considered using a SAD lamp?

light-boxes-light-therapy-for-depression-and-sleep-disorders

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Administrator
17 hours ago, likemusic said:

As to how I am doing... not good. I have been in CT withdrawal for over 2 and a quarter years now. Whilst I did finally become functional in February this year, it is now waves and brief windows with a variety of physical ailments to boot (peripheral pain, and CFS being the worst), along with chronic anhedonia and de-personalisation. Things do seem to be improving but ever so slowly. I try to get out and about (in the sunshine particularly) but the summer here in the UK has been appaling (months of rain) so my mood is terrible too, but thanks for asking. I hope things are going well with you.

Good to hear from you. On the plus side, you have seen some improvement, so let's hold onto that. We know healing is very, very slow, so you can take heart in yours being "normal".

Many people find fish oil and magnesium supplements helpful, have you tried them? See
https://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/
https://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

You might try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you. Please let us know how you're doing.

To help us out, follow these instructions Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• Administrator

@likemusic, does this seem correct: Prescribed Citalopram (Celexa) 2007. Several attempts to go off citalopram, one in 2012. Most recent attempt to go off mid-December 2016. Hospitalized in late October 2017. Treatment with venlafaxine up to 250mg failed; could not tolerate reinstatement of citalopram. Stopped all drugs mid-May 2018."

Did you have other drug changes 2007-2016? How did you go off citalopram in 2016? Which drug did you cold turkey?

• 5 months later...
  • Administrator

@likemusic How are you doing?

Hi Altostrata. Thanks for your continued interest.

To be honest, compared to my last post, better again, although nowhere near healed yet.

Following the first major window (started early Feb 20), which lasted until about the end of Aug 2020, I seemed to have a bit of a wave, where things got different... I developed a string of new physical issues (tingling in my fingers, dry skin, severely itchy head, and "empty nose syndrome" (really not pleasant)), but overall, I shouldn't complain. At least I am still in the same living place and relationship...

Things are improving, but oh so slowly, although at least I can feel that I am improving. I can think reasonably clearly most of the time now, and if I do not feel right yet emotionally, at least I can "feel" them coming back. Still waiting for a significant improvement in the anhedonia, though.

Physically, many things are moving in the right direction. I eat more regularly, and seem to be becoming less intolerant of food. It's weird, but it's like the whole sensitivity and reactivity of my body is slowly returning to pre-drug days, although I know I still have a long way to go, possibly.

Not as physically active as I should be, and I know that doing more will help, but the British winter is not all that pleasant at the best of times, and exercise, even moderate, actually made me feel worse for a long time. Once Spring comes around though, I will do more.

I see that you are becoming more well known - I saw your screen name here mentioned in an article on FB along with some other famous names regarding these terrible drugs. Keep up the good work, although surely there must be many others who could help...?

So, all in all, improving, slowly. and again, thank you.

I hope that you are fit, well and healthy, and CV hasn't affected your life too much.

Kind regards

• Administrator

Good to hear you're seeing improvement, however gradual. Please do hang in there.

Please verify this:

On 8/29/2020 at 10:49 PM, Altostrata said:

@likemusic, does this seem correct: Prescribed Citalopram (Celexa) 2007. Several attempts to go off citalopram, one in 2012. Most recent attempt to go off mid-December 2016. Hospitalized in late October 2017. Treatment with venlafaxine up to 250mg failed; could not tolerate reinstatement of citalopram. Stopped all drugs mid-May 2018."

Did you have other drug changes 2007-2016? How did you go off citalopram in 2016? Which drug did you cold turkey?

Ideally, Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

Please visit and tell us how you're doing.

• 1 year later...

@likemusic

How are you feeling now? I struggle with some of the same symptoms. After coming off Remeron i have dp/dr, cant seem to feel any emotions (good or bad) mentally or in my body, akathisa and severe lack in concentration. Also loud tinnitus. Hard to eat or sleep when i dont Feel hungry or tired. 

All of this started after i quit the medication. 

Did you get some of your emotions back, and did the anhedonia lift?

June-July -21 Zyprexa 2.5-7.5 mg 

July -21 Mianserin 20 mg four days

July-Aug -21 Valium 30 mg a day, tapred, return of symptoms 

Aug-Oct -21 Oxazepam Tapred from 10 mg x 3 to zero

Dec-Jan -21/22 On and off mirtazapine 15 mg. Kindling reaction?

March 8.-19. - Zopiclone 7.5 mg to combat insomnia 

March 20 - 5 mg valium because of akathisia and panic 

April 3. - 5 mg x 2

• 1 year later...

Here I am, five years and two months from a distasterous discontinuance. Briefly, I was stable on 40mg Citalopram, and discussed with my GP about coming off it. Needless to say, after almost 9 years on it (there is further history here, included in an earlier post - Is there life with anhedonia) she recommended far too fast a taper. Attempts at reinstatement failed completely, and I stopped everything (this was the only AD I was on) on 21 May 2018. Needless to say, since then life has been hell. There have been windows - the most recent, which ended only a couple of months ago, lasted around 10-11 months but since then I have definitely entered another wave (only days ago the akathasia (pacing) stopped, but I have wierd brain sensations, tinnitus and a range of other withdrawal symptoms). Is there any hope for me to make a full recovery anytime soon, or am I destined to continue to experience waves for years to come? Any thought would be appreciated...

Incidentally, it was "interesting" to note that the BBC documentary "Panorama" brought attention to the subject of AD withdrawal. Hopefully the message should now be getting more of the attention it rightly deserves.

• Administrator

Hello again, @likemusic

First, Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

Have you taken antibiotics or other drugs, drunk alcohol, or had any unusual stress in the last few months?

How has your symptom pattern changed in the last 6 months?

• 7 months later...

So, you have never recovered from anhedonia? Not many people recovered from this condition, according to my own findings. Brain 'damage', I'd say. Truly brutal, I'm giving up.

Pharmaceutical companies deserve a proper lawsuit. This is a crime against humanity.

April 2017 (court-ordered by the age of 16) to mid 2019Risperdal ~2-4mg (can't remember dosage), fast taper by 2019. Persistent anhedonia.

Mid 2021 to May 2023 (age of 21-23) — Fluoxetine (Prozac) starting by 20mg, fast taper through oral solution by 20% decreases until May 2023. By late 2023, possible WD kicking in with sleep disturbances, averaging 5-6 hours of highly interrupted sleep with extreme fatigue along with skin/body pain and extreme brain fog (never had none of these, thanks pharma), along with worsened anhedonia (thanks again).

By the beginning of 2024, I feel constant tingling on my feet (and, sometimes, up to the knee from behind), possible neuropathy(?) worsening by night. Sleep quality decreased, taking more hours just to fall asleep. NO WINDOWS OR WAVES, but WORSENING of SYMPTOMS through the months (suspected brain damage).