SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Goldy: Reduced Zoloft too fast?

Goldy

Mom completely flat-out refuses. There is no chance she'll budge.

Goldy's (18yr old) history:

07-08: Lexapro, Wellbutrin, Effexor, Cymbalta--All withdrawn abrubtly. Only had bad w/d symptoms from Cymbalta. 08-'11- Prescribed Geodon, took until October '11, gradually withdrawn randomly from 120mg-70mg , naturopath helped w/d the rest with GF diet and neuroscience :/.

09-now: Lorazepam, doctor ct'ed from 3mg in Oct '11 until Dec '11 [HORRID!], reinstated to 3mg.

Zoloft: overstimulation effects on dec 20th '11, naturopath ct'ed it, reinstated to 25mg

Now: Suffering terrible symptoms continously from 08-now, now on 20mg Zoloft, 3mg Ativan.

-PLEASE HELP ME FIND A DOC! PM ME.-

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1601-goldy-reduced-zoloft-too-fast/page__gopid__15777

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Goldy

• Altostrata

• Barbarannamated

• alexjuice

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

Sorry you're having such a tough time. I guess you'll have to take the antibiotics -- take them all, as instructed, don't cut any corners or you could breed a worse infection (if it is bacterial).

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Update 2/23:

I reduced the Zoloft about 5 days or so ago. I was able to veify that most of my agitation and suicidal/homicidal ideation was indeed overstimulation side effects by noticing how I felt when the Zoloft was at it's highest in my body, I'd feel the worst, and start to feel better as it wore off. So, I'm at 20mg right now and feeling much less agitated. In "Your Drug May Be Your Problem", it says that people who get overstimulated by AD's often crash into a deep depression and exhaustion, which is what's been happening as well as minor other symptoms. I'm also taking a Z-Pack right now which seems to be working to treat an infection..

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Very lonely and bored though, I guess that's a sign that maybe I'm getting better, the fact that staying in all day bores me.

-Goldy

07-08: Lexapro, Wellbutrin, Effexor, Cymbalta--All withdrawn abrubtly. Only had bad w/d symptoms from Cymbalta. 08-'11- Prescribed Geodon, took until October '11, gradually withdrawn randomly from 120mg-70mg , naturopath helped w/d the rest with GF diet and neuroscience :/.

09-now: Lorazepam, doctor ct'ed from 3mg in Oct '11 until Dec '11 [HORRID!], reinstated to 3mg.

Zoloft: overstimulation effects on dec 20th '11, naturopath ct'ed it, reinstated to 25mg

Now: Suffering terrible symptoms continously from 08-now, now on 20mg Zoloft, 3mg Ativan.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1601-goldy-reduced-zoloft-too-fast/page__gopid__15777

• Administrator

Excellent! By how much did you reduce?

You might want to get out a bit, get some sunlight (if available), and walk. Walking helps your nervous system regulate itself. Also, look around and "change the channel" on any dark thoughts.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Hi Alto. I reduced it by roughly 10%: from 23.75 mg to 20mg. I have gotten out for walks, it's been great to be in nature, stretch my legs and feel some sunlight (winter never really came this year: only 2-3 snowfalls!). It's really unbelievable how good it can feel to just watch the clouds go by and be in nature-- so many people take that for granted, and I won't be one of them :).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But I've run into a bit of a roadblock with my mom. I convulsed briefly today, and have been having bad shortness of breath. I don't know if they're w/d symptoms or a reaction to the z-pack. She acts so casually now to even my most severe symptoms, it seems she's been desensitized to them. This scares me because I currently rely so heavily on her for support, I don't know what she'd do when/if an emergency came up. Now, every symptom I expereience seems to be water-downed to not actually be a big deal just because I'm in w/d and have complained so much. :o

Also, I have yet to hear from Dr. P______. :/

------------------------------------------------------------------

Question for anyone reading this: Have you had any success with working with psychotherapy?

I'm going to see a potential new thereapist soon, and she says she's willing to learn about withdrawal, and admits that the drugs work for some people and not others. I hope it's worth it to hire her, but i don't know how to inform her of this issue best. Anatomy of an Epidemic?

""Question for anyone reading this: Have you had any success with working with psychotherapy?

I'm going to see a potential new thereapist soon, and she says she's willing to learn about withdrawal, and admits that the drugs work for some people and not others. I hope it's worth it to hire her, but i don't know how to inform her of this issue best. Anatomy of an Epidemic"

Five years ago, I saw a psychologist for career counseling. Because she totally understood withdrawal issues and how ADs failed many people, I would have no qualms in working with her in therapy. Unfortunately, I had to quit seeing her because she was way too far.

If your therapist is willing to learn about withdrawal, that is a good sign. Yeah, you might see if she will read "Anatomy of an Epidemic"

CS

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

Goldy,

That's a good question about therapy. I think that Dr. Breggin better describes the effect of SS/NRIs--blunting, apathy, lack of motivation-- that i would want my therapist to understand in addition to trying to understand withdrawal (emphasis on neuroemotion and emotional outbursts). That's HUGE!!

I've read of a few therapists who feel that therapy is more difficult or ineffective while on meds because the true emotions aren't accessible. In the many years I was on meds, I never found a therapist I clicked with. Prior to meds, I saw a therapist I did connect with and saw off and on for a few years. I don't know if that ability to connect was in any way related to lack of being drugged.

I went to a Holistic Psychiatrist 1 time while in withdrawal but unaware that was why I felt so off. After my $300 50-minute hour, he concluded "to say 'it will be a work of art to put your life back together' would be an understatement" and I hadn't even touched on my family issues! I left and drove around S.Ca for 7 hours with his words playing over and over in my head.

Have you considered asking her to read info on this site? I would definitely do that because it is too difficult to rehash my past, especially in 50 minutes.

Just to emphasize--a therapist who truly wants to understand the bizarreness of w/d and that it may appear to be relapse but ISN'T, is PRICELESS!

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• Administrator

Goldy, are you still having trouble measuring the Zoloft liquid?

You may wish to reduce by a smaller amount. The convulsions are a sign your nervous system felt the decrease. Perhaps you can make the taper smoother with a smaller decrease.

Goldy,

That's a good question about therapy. I think that Dr. Breggin better describes the effect of SS/NRIs--blunting, apathy, lack of motivation-- that i would want my therapist to understand in addition to trying to understand withdrawal (emphasis on neuroemotion and emotional outbursts). That's HUGE!!

I've read of a few therapists who feel that therapy is more difficult or ineffective while on meds because the true emotions aren't accessible. In the many years I was on meds, I never found a therapist I clicked with. Prior to meds, I saw a therapist I did connect with and saw off and on for a few years. I don't know if that ability to connect was in any way related to lack of being drugged.

I went to a Holistic Psychiatrist 1 time while in withdrawal but unaware that was why I felt so off. After my $300 50-minute hour, he concluded "to say 'it will be a work of art to put your life back together' would be an understatement" and I hadn't even touched on my family issues! I left and drove around S.Ca for 7 hours with his words playing over and over in my head.

Have you considered asking her to read info on this site? I would definitely do that because it is too difficult to rehash my past, especially in 50 minutes.

Just to emphasize--a therapist who truly wants to understand the bizarreness of w/d and that it may appear to be relapse but ISN'T, is PRICELESS!

Thanks for the advice! The therapist I'm considering doesn't seem like the most sophisticated therapist in terms of credentials, but probably more importantly she seems willing to learn. I'll probably just give her a page on AD's and Benzo w/d as a primer (because the book "Your Drug May Be Your Problem" is quite scary! I can't even read it without falling into a massive panic lol). And I'll let her borrow a copy of "Anatomy of an Epidemic", because that book can probably convince any open-minded person to share our viewpoint on psych meds. And I'll either give her the link to this page or print it.

BTW, so sorry about your experience with that psychiatrist :(.

• Administrator

GOLDY: CONTINUE TAKING THE ANTIBIOTICS -- THE ENTIRE PACK -- AS DIRECTED.

That's how they work. I think I might have mentioned this before? Don't play games with this.

Ok, sorry I'll keep taking them.

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator

Goldy

We haven't heard from you in over a month - please drop in and let us know how you are doing?

2007 @ 375 mg Effexor - 11/29/2011 - 43.75 mg Effexor (regular) & .625 mg Xanax

200 mg Gabapentin 2/27/21 - 194.5 mg, 5/28/21 - 183 mg, 8/2/21 - 170 mg, 11/28/21 - 150 mg, 4/19/22 - 122 mg; 8//7/22 - 100 mg; 12/17 - 75mg; 8/17 - 45 mg; 10/16 40 mg
Xanax taper: 3/11/12 - 0.9375 mg, 3/25/12 - 0.875 mg, 4/6/12 - 0.8125 mg, 4/18/12 - 0.75 ; 10/16 40mg;

1/16 0.6875 mg; at some point 0.625 mg
Effexor taper: 1/29/12 - 40.625 mg, 4/29/12 - 39.875 mg, 5/11/12 - Switched to liquid Effexor, 5/25/12 - 38 mg, 7/6/12 - 35 mg, 8/17/12 - 32 mg, 9/14/12 - 30 mg, 10/19/12 - 28 mg, 11/9/12 - 26 mg, 11/30/12 - 24 mg, 01/14/13 - 22 mg. 02/25/13 - 20.8 mg, 03/18/13 - 19.2 mg, 4/15/13 - 17.6 mg, 8/10/13 - 16.4 mg, 9/7/13 - 15.2 mg, 10/19/13 - 14 mg, 1/15/14 - 13.2 mg, 3/1/2014 - 12.6 mg, 5/4/14 - 12 mg, 8/1/14 - 11.4 mg, 8/29/14 - 10.8 mg; 10/14/14 - 10.2 mg; 12/15/14 - 10 mg, 1/11/15 - 9.5 mg, 2/8/15 - 9 mg, 3/21/15 - 8.5 mg, 5/1/15 - 8 mg, 6/9/15 - 7.5 mg, 7/8/15 - 7 mg, 8/22/15 - 6.5 mg, 10/4/15 - 6 mg; 1/1/16 - 5.6 mg; 2/6/16 - 5.2 mg; 4/9 - 4.8 mg; 7/7 4.5 mg; 10/7 4.25 mg; 11/4 4.0 mg; 11/25 3.8 mg; 4/24 3.6 mg; 5/27 3.4 mg; 7/8 3.2 mg ... 10/18 2.8 mg; 1/18 2.6 mg; 4/7 2.4 mg; 5/26 2.15mg; 8/18 1.85 mg; 10/7 1.7 mg; 12/1 1.45 mg; 3/2 1.2 mg; 5/4 0.90 mg; 6/1 0.80 mg; 6/22 0.65 mg; 08/03 0.50 mg, 08/10 0.45 mg, 10/05 0.325 mg, 11/23 0.2 mg, 12/14 0.15 mg, 12/21 0.125 mg, 02/28 0.03125 mg, 2/15 0.015625 mg, 2/29/20 0.00 mg - OFF Effexor

I am not a medical professional - this is not medical advice. My suggestions are based on personal experience, reading, observation and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, everyone.

I've been doing okay-ish. As of today I'm down to only 10mg of Zoloft! I'm scheduled to take my last pill on April 30th :), and the next two months will be spent getting off lorazepam (can't wait for that :/).

I'm still having a few symptoms, such as:

-abnormal movements (not nearly as bad as they have been in the past, happen rarely)

-disorientation and dp/dr

-depession

-bad anxiety/worry/rumination

-lots of flashbacks of old memories; this is mentioned as happening to others in a different thread, it has been one of my most common symptoms.

-hot/cold feeling

-tension, esecially in jaw (and resulting tooth pain)

-body pains

-lightheadedness- comes and goes

-weird OCD-type symptoms: moving objects make me angry, as if they're mocking my (I think it's called "teleology" when one believes objects have a mind of their own, and obviously I don't believe it, but it bothers me) (cleaning my room even when I feel like I'm about to pass out from exhaustion)

-intrusive thoughts-- often weird ones that don't feel like my own, or "voices"

-can't get comfortable in bed-- toss and turn for long periods)

-bad hypochodriasis

-panic attacks

-akithisia/restlessness (comes and goes)

-Comes and goes: homicial/violent or suicidal ideation-- still have no idea how to cope with this.

-Complete and utter exhaustion: I'm always worried I'm pushing myself too hard, for example, went all over the place for my 19th b-day a few days ago.

So, obviously a lot of crappy symptoms, but the list has shortened a lot. However, my biggest struggle right now is wrangling with the shock that I am now 19 and everything is completely different... I feel like I'm waking up from a deep haze or nightmare; an AD nightmare I've been in since I was 13 (!). I've been setting a lot of post-withdrawal goals, but all of them would require me to be much more stable (especially no dp/dr, and little-no depression and anxiety.) I plan on working on my issues with my therapist, but I'm not certain it's worth it when it's so hard to know what's "neuro"/from the drugs and what's my true feelings. But I feel like I need to start working on the issues that have arisen during these horrible years, and the ones coming up right now, I just don't want to be overwhelemed any more than neccesary...

Oh yeah, and I have no idea how someone readjusts after having no friends for the vast majority of the last 4 years or so, let alone learn how to function as an "adult". I was un-f*cking-lucky enough to become a child psychiatric victim; the 21st centuries insane idea of a cure that has ripped a fragile person to shreds a million times. I hope I can handle being drug-free; one of my biggest phobias came true: growing up.

• Administrator

Those are big issues, Goldy, and you articulate them very well.

Given you have these withdrawal symptoms, perhaps it's time for you to hold a bit at 10mg and let your nervous system settle down?

Thanks Alto. I agree, it's time I take a little break and let my nervous system heal.

Goldy -

Good to hear from you -

You mention a 2 month lorazepam taper to follow - I haven't read your history on that although that seems very aggressive for a benzo - I'm not an expert on this but that comment caught my attention as I still have Klonopin to tackle -

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

Hi, just wanted to say God Bless you, Good luck and please taper more slowly. It will help if you listen to Alto ...

Everything was ok. And then it wasn't.

Med History

11/2009- 50 mg Zoloft (1st ad ever) in combo w/.50 xanax for 2 weeks then use xanax as needed (1st benzo ever)

9 days on Zoloft, I was awake for 9 days straight C/T Zoloft

11/2009- trazadone to sleep for 2 weeks c/t Trazadone

12/2009 start 10 mg Lexapro w/ Xanax as needed

5/2010-3 week taper off lexapro

9/2010? back to Lexapro 10 mg after 5 or 6 weeks c/t leapro

12/2010-10mg paxil

5/2011-6 week paxil taper

8/2011 5mg lexapro

last lexapro pill January 7 2012

all this as per doc orders Thanks Doc!

Goldy-

We all fear "growing up" For me, at age 40. With my attempts to get off ADs I realize I have the same issue to. How do you do it? What does it mean?

That is a completely normal feeling. Embrace it if you can. There is no answer...you'll know what is right for you.

Years:150mg Wellbutrin (to concentrate) 20-30 mg Celexa (rumination).

CT 8/2011 during a pregnancy attempt under MD orders. (Idiot!!!) Pregnancy hormones allowed it.

Felt great with 6 mg of melatonin per night to sleep plus preggo hormones-didn't last:(

Best time of my life. Botched IVF in Dec 2011.Stress.

Bone chilling exhaustion and told to go back on celexa and wellbutrin.

4/9/2012 Back on celexa wb for some relief, wb gave me heart palps so dropped and only need 6.6 mg celexa and 1/4 melatonin pill...IMPROVEMENT because my doses are much lower!

REMEMBER to get your thyroid and hormones checked/out of whack ones can appear LIKE MOOD DISORDERS!!

Thanks everyone for the kind words :) .

I have, at times been having the akithisia extremely bad, to the point where I feel violent (it's probably what's underlyingn the suicidal/homical ideations). Has anyone had luck using bendadryl to calm it down? (couldn't find any info on the akithisia page)

• Administrator

Does Benadryl work for you?

You might get it in tablets (generic) and cut one in half or quarters to try it out.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Everyone. Here's an update about my situation:

An event happened a few months ago that I didn't mention on here. I was still in acute w/d, and had a grand mal seizure (I still feel shaken and paranoid about it..), and my mom took me to an emergency 24 hour clinic for help/advice. I ended up with a pretty cool doctor, who wrote out a plan for the rest of my w/d. He also gave me a personal opinion about the w/d that I haven't heard mentioned before: he said to go back to the liquid at 20 mg (was still on pills at the time), Because the absorption rate is different from liquid to pill; meaning 20mg in pill form won't have the same effect as 20mg in liquid form because the body absorbs them differently. Thus, I went back to liquid and stabilized for a few weeks, but my impatience with this whole experience (w/d), led me to increase my reduction rate and size so that now (5/8/12), I am now on 4mg! I wish I could say woopee! I feel great, but I don't have the privledge to feel that way yet (obviously :< ). Anyway, at this low of a dose of Zoloft, I'm becoming much more aware of everything that I have in years, which is really overwhelming. I also have to following symptoms:

-DP/DR and Disorientation

-SEVERE Depression/despair

-bouts of confusion

-bad weakness

-bad fatigue

-food cravings

-weird pychological things that are either a result of increased tolerance to benzos resulting in OCD type symptoms or me suffering a serious case of cabin fever (still don't really have any friends): -dots on walls or in my vision bother me, -any kind of movement annoys me, -constant ruminations on my sitution, the meaning of life, and angst at STILL NOT GETTING TO LIVE OUT ME ADOLESCENCE.

-body pains

-lightheadedness/dizziness

-perceptual disturbance

----------------------------------------------

I also had my first ever appointment with an acupuncturist; very interesting experience because although it relaxed me more than I have been in AGES, to finally release all my bodily tension caused me to have a long crying fit because I was so overwhelmed by my own lonliness, frustration, and distrust of the world.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Administrator

Very good to hear your Zoloft strategy is working, Goldy.

Did the doctor seem to know a lot about antidepressant withdrawal?

For anyone curious, here's more of my history with the drugs:

-I have been on various AD's since I was 13, for severe depression which would've resolved itself with time if I had been given the chance. The AD's made me sleep all day so i had to be homeschooled at the end of middle school. I spiraled further into depression and isolation before high school started, and started to develop delusions from being manic-y from the AD's and not having friends. I tried to go to my brick-and-mortar local high school, but I only lasted 3 months. I was too tired and would fall asleep during class, or would be very fidgety. So, I left the local high school and did cyber school with my mom for the rest of high school. Due to the craziness of being a hormonal adolescent combined with the stupid f*cking AD stimulation, I basically went crazy and was "diagnosed" :angry: "schizoeffective" and put on Geodon. Soon after Lorazepam was adde to the mix. I spent my entire high school years a complete zombie, and I had to fight to convince my parents the side effects I was increasingly suffering from Geodon were not a result of my 'illnes', but actual side effects. This and sleeping took up much of my time until I finally undertook withdrawal, the opportunity presented itself by a little luck when I got some neck spasms that my doc attributed to the geodon (but it wasn't-- my neck had just been strained, so no permanent movemnt issues.) So I spent my whole high school years struggling to even graduate, and add w/d into the mix and I had pretty much zero socialization during those ever-so-fundamental years. My mom helped as much as sh could, but she and dad never managed to find a knowedgable doctor, and I was too out of it to find one myself. Theres hardly any info avaliable anyway about neuroleptic w/d. Now, after many w/d struggles, I'm stuck with the resentment of what happened, but know I have to move on. To put it simply, my heart has literally been broken by this experience. I have little innocence left (how could I?), and I am completely weary of this world, despite looking from the outside a gorgeous healthy girl (I dream of probably going for high fashion modelling when all of this is over.-- only maybe not because that industry has its own suffering attached to it.) I hope I can turn this into a post-traumatic growth situation, with the help of my therapist. I have a lot of pain to be eased before that could be feasible though.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ANYWAY, yada yada yada, I hope anyone reading can appeciate my blog-style rant ;). I also have some technical questions:

I'm basically done with the Zoloft w/d, and my plan I agreed to with my therapist was to finish it this month, take the summer off and TRY to have some fun and make friends, and leave lorazepam w/d for autumn or winter. How should I approach the end of my AD w/d? I still have symptoms, but as usual I don't know if I should keep it gradual, and try to stabilize for a while, or finally just drop this thing for good. Right now I'm much more concerned with my presevering my last bits of pychological health than anything drug-related. I NEED to go out and make friends, to have some fun. Or seriously I think I'm imminenly at risk for a nervous breakdown (pyschotic, or breaking things/running away, or impulsive suicide.)

PLEASE, if anyone has advice, please tell.

-Goldy

• Administrator

What are your current withdrawal symptoms, Goldy?

-DP/DR and Disorientation; getting better

-SEVERE Depression/despair-- comes and goes, usually lasts several days

-bouts of confusion/blank mind

-body pains

-outburts of anger

-sedation- comes and goes

-bad weakness

-irritability

-intrusive thoughts

-bad fatigue

-food cravings

-weird pychological things -dots on walls or in my vision bother me, -any kind of movement annoys me, -constant ruminations

-body pains

-lightheadedness/dizziness

-perceptual disturbance

Goldy,

You describe your feelings so well...maybe because they are exactly what I feel but I'm MUCH older! Can you tell more about the need to run away? I ran away about a year ago after my taper off Pristiq and am feeling that urge again. Other words that jumped out at me: "reclaim life" and feeling as if psychotic break is imminent (although I've never experienced psychosis). I never felt that before withdrawal - like sitting on a fence between reality and 'someplace else' that may have provided an escape from the tension. Very hard to describe but I can 'feel' it in your words.

Alto will best advise on tapering, but slower always seems to be safer.

Hey, none of us found competent docs. It wasn't just your parents.

{{{HUGS}}}

Barbarannamated,

I'll elaborate on my urge to run away as a sense of being completely overwhelmed-- by the withdrawal itself, by memories of bad symptoms that occurred or horrible feelings that happened all over my house. It's a natural human emotion to want to escape a situation that one view's as harmful, and maybe "running away" really would help me because an unfamiliar but peaceful place wouldn't be heavy with the weight of bad memories. For me, I haven't gone into any elaborate escape plans or anything, but I always carry in my mind a powerful urge to escape: to run down the street and never look back, that type of thing.

And a way to look at the fear of/almost urge to lose reality is kind of escape, only into my own subconcious. Same root of the feeling, different form of expression.

Thanks for reading (HUGS BACK)

• Administrator

Goldy, you might hold at your present level of Zoloft for a bit. Your nervous system has been through a lot of uproar.

Goldy,

Excellent description. I especially like your use of the word "natural" as opposed to "normal" in relation to feelings and emotions. Important distinction!

Goldy, you might hold at your present level of Zoloft for a bit. Your nervous system has been through a lot of uproar.

Okay, I'll hold at 4mg for a bit. I'll also take your former advice by making smaller cuts more often,

-From 4mg I'll go to 2mg for a bit,

-Then hold at 1mg for a little longer,

-Then quit.

• Administrator

At 4mg, a small cut would be more like .25mg, not 2mg. 2mg is 50% of 4mg.

Please go slower! Hold for at least several weeks before making any more changes.

Hi Alto,

I find your taper suggestion for me to be too slow. I started at 50mg-- why do you think quitting in a week of two from only 4mgs would make that much of a difference?

I think a lot of my symptoms are Benzo tolerance w/d; and some might be purely pyschological based on my severe hypochondria/traumatized mind.

My p-doc has finally agreed to help me taper off Ativan over 5-6 months and to work with me. I won't know what symptoms are from setraline w/d or benzo tolerance until I quit the sertraline.

• Administrator

1) There's a question as to what "tolerance withdrawal" with benzos means. See http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2233-benzo-tolerance-withdrawal-does-it-exist

2) Hard to tell what your symptoms are from.

3) You've been tapering too fast and too erratically in the past.

4) If you want to do a micro-taper, you have to think in fractions of a milligram.

It's up to you, Goldy. You know how you're feeling. Have your symptoms changed since you've been zooming off Zoloft?

1. I'm pretty sure tolerance w/d from benzos is the Benzo losing it's sedative effects on the body, just like alcohol does when someone drinks it everyday-- they need more to get the same effect. My particular Benzo (Ativan), has a sedative effect on five aspects of the body: worsens memory, relaxes muscles, prevents convulsions, eases physical pain, and dulls the brain, thereby "relazing" the user. When someone takes it longer than the reccomended time (3-4 weeks), tolerance develops and the body can start getting w/d symptoms (mentions it on the extended Ativan leaflet and on WikiPedia).

My symptoms have changed somewhat: I no longer have convulsions, which was the most worrisome/dangerous symptom. My dp/dr has gotten better at times, and my symptoms are mostly mental/emotional and the physical ones are bearable. I agree that I tapered to fast in the past, but at this point I think I just need to quit. I'm taking the summer off (meaning no w/d's), to try to catch up on socializing and fun as much as I can (which I know is essntial to my well-being, both long and short term)

• Administrator

Hoping for the best for you. Please keep in touch and let us know how you're doing!

Thanks (hugs), will do. You've helped me a lot Alto and everyone else :).