Reinstatement worries

Roxyrich

I know this is going to be controversial, but has anyone heard of anyone reinstating an ssri after an adverse reaction. 

You might just dismiss this and say no its impossible, once damaged by an ssri  in the form of an adverse reaction, there's no going back. 

This is where it gets controversial. 

Let's say your about to end it all , is it just game over ,or one would say , surely it's worth a try, in the ultimate form of life or death.

Opiates 18 months 2010 to 2012

Prozac 12 months 2012 to 2013

Prozac 7 doses of prozac late November 2015.

Adverse reaction on the 7th dose.

Stopped cold turkey on the last week in November 2015.

Immediately suffering from acute w/d.

Severe insomnia, anxiety, burning head.

Doctor prescribed propranolol for anxiety, adrenaline rushes.

Propranolol 10mg 4× a day.

Nearly 3 months after reaction, new symptoms include,

Awful insomnia,burning head.waves of depression and suicide ideation.

Hi Roxy

there was a recent post on SA from someone who had had a an adverse reaction to a reinstatement and had developed crushing fatigue that caused her to lose   her job and then had tried tiltrating up on a drug a few months after the adverse reaction and had posted an update about 2 weeks back saying the lion's share of their symptoms were now gone when she reached .4 mg of a drug whose name  I can't remember now.   Bellatrix was the poster.   .  Check out her story.

Poetjester

Edited by ChessieCat
removed quote

Court committed to take Prozac, Paxci, and Respiradol from 8/95 to 3/96.   developed severe akithisia and brain damage.  Was unable to speak and walking in circles 15 hours a day.  Went in for 5 sessions of ECT during a 10 day period in March of '96 and my forced medication was discontinued at that time.  My akithisia and brain damage cleared up within a few days of stopping the meds.

On Zoloft (200 mg) and Zyprexa (17.5 mg) March 1998- Feb 2014

In between was placed on Effexor 200 mg and Abilify for six months in 2004.  Developed mild akithisia which went away once I stopped the Abilify.  Developed severe GI issues in Dec 2001 and from that time on suffered from fatigue and hypersomnia where I would sleep between 12 and 20 hours a day and rarely ever left my apartment. 

Had tapered to 100 mg of Zoloft and 7.5 mg of Zyprexa at the time of going cold turkey Feb. 2014

Went 5 days without sleep at the beginning while vomiting all over my apt.  Had brain zaps for a number of weeks and also lightheadedness which both eventually went away.  However 2 1/2 yrs later I still struggle with insomnia, depression, and fatigue.

Curious about this too. Had an adverse reaction 10 months ago and it makes little sense for me to reinstate since it was a side effect not wd, but looking for anything 

Aug-Dec 2015 Prozac 20mg / Dec 2015-Feb 2016 Prozac 15mg / Feb 2016-May2016 Prozac 20mg

May 2016-June 2016 15mg

June 2016-August 2016 10mg

October 2016-January 2017 15mg, alternating agitation/akathisia sets in --> cold turkey

January 2017 Clonazepam .5mg 

February 2017 Clonazepam 1mg (for a week) then .5mg morning and .25mg evening for about a month. Came down to .25mg morning and evening. 

May 1, 2017 Clonazepam .25mg morning and .125mg evening. // May 20, 2017 Clonazepam .25mg morning and .0625 evening (.3125 total).

early June .28125 // early mid june .25mg // mid june .21875 // late june .1875 // early july .15625 // early mid july .125 

mid july .09375mg // late july .0625 //early August 2017 down to .03125mg once a day, hopped off in mid August

reinstated at .0625mg late August // Oct 16 - updose to .07mg and switch to oral Rosemont solution

Nov 17 2017 reinstate Prozac .5mg // Nov 21 2017 prozac 1.6mg // Dec 18 2017  3mg prozac / fast taper off the reinstatement -- probably completely off early Oct 2018

June 2019 begin tapering off .07mg Clonazepam, Finish taper December 2019

• ChessieCat changed the title to Reinstatement worries

This is a very frustrating position to be in. I sympathise with you very deeply!

I had an adverse reaction when reinstating Fluoxetine (prozac) after almost 5 months out of a cold turkey. I solved it by reducing the dosage. 

I'm on 05 mg now and I'm better. I also realised that it was important for me to take the meds after eating whereas before I could pop 3 pills (60mg) on an empty stomach, I now can only take a quarter of one pill (05 mg) on a full stomach after my first meal of the day.

"Let's say your about to end it all , is it just game over ,or one would say , surely it's worth a try, in the ultimate form of life or death."

Its definitely worth a try!!! Don't give up just yet. Play with it, tinker, experiment and the light will eventually emerge.

• Fluoxetine 40 mg: Sep 2014 - Dec 2014 (Cold Turkey)
  • Fluoxetine 60 mg: Mar 2015 - Apr 2017 (Cold Turkey) 
  • Fluoxetine 10 mg: 21 Sep 2017 (Reinstated)
  • Fluoxetine 05 mg: 23 Sep 2017 (Adjusted Down)
  • Fluoxetine 15 mg: 28 Sep 2017 (Adjusted Up)
  • Fluoxetine 20 mg: 29 Sep 2017 (Adjusted Up)
  • Fluoxetine 05 mg: 30 Sep 2017 (Adjusted Down)

Currently taking: Fluoxetine 05 mg, Doxylamine (for insomnia)Multivitamin, Magnesium, Omega 3 Fish Oil & Flax Oil, Green Powder Mix.

"If you fail ten times, do not be disheartened. If you should fail a hundred times, rise up and pursue your way. If you should fail a thousand times, do not despair. When the right Path is entered, success is sure if the Path is not utterly abandoned."

- James Allen

• 2 months later...
On 10/8/2017 at 10:16 AM, Roxyrich said:

I know this is going to be controversial, but has anyone heard of anyone reinstating an ssri after an adverse reaction. 

You might just dismiss this and say no its impossible, once damaged by an ssri  in the form of an adverse reaction, there's no going back. 

This is where it gets controversial. 

Let's say your about to end it all , is it just game over ,or one would say , surely it's worth a try, in the ultimate form of life or death.

This is kind of where I'm at only I had been on and off another SSRI Zoloft for years. When I was increasing I had a severe reaction and stopped it again. Been miserable since.. I've been off 9-10 months and have been debating about reinstating or not. I'm backed into a corner. Did you try this yet? If you did how did it go? 

2000 or 2001 drugged with LSD (I add this to the list due to it also affecting serotonin and 5-ht receptors.)
2000 or 2001 Dr gives me Paxil for the resulting severe anxiety from the LSD. Quit after few weeks
2000 or 2001 Dr gives me buspur without washing out Paxil bad
2000 or 2001  started "non habit forming" Zoloft 50mg
Between 2008-2010 cut down to 25 mg (still the name brand) no problems.
2012 quit Zoloft completely. No real problems I recall. 
2014 or 2015 Tried to restart Zoloft. Stopped. Then started again. Serious problems. 
2014-2015 Xanax 1 mg no problems starting or stopping

2017 March Tried to increase Zoloft from 12.5 and suddenly stopped. Severe withdrawal ever since. 
2017 March Prescribed Allegra. Steroids, numerous antibiotics
2017 June Prescribed Ativan, Valium, Klonopin all bad reactions.
2017 August Prescribed more xanax .50 and no longer tolerated

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't reinstate ,but I can't rule it out as im still quite ill.

As you've put it ,i feel cornered too.

Opiates 18 months 2010 to 2012

Prozac 12 months 2012 to 2013

Prozac 7 doses of prozac late November 2015.

Adverse reaction on the 7th dose.

Stopped cold turkey on the last week in November 2015.

Immediately suffering from acute w/d.

Severe insomnia, anxiety, burning head.

Doctor prescribed propranolol for anxiety, adrenaline rushes.

Propranolol 10mg 4× a day.

Nearly 3 months after reaction, new symptoms include,

Awful insomnia,burning head.waves of depression and suicide ideation.

Just want to add an experience here. 

I reinstated after 8 months off. I was in severe withdrawals, housebound, extreme anxiety and insomnia. I felt incredibly jittery, weak and afraid to add anything to the mix. 

But since I was getting worse with time, I eventually decided to reinstate a small amount. 

Initially,  symptoms intensified. My nervous system seemed to have a reaction to the introduction of the drug. But I definitely do not think this was an "adverse reaction". Instead, I think these were standard onset effects in the context of a hypersensitive nervous system. 

Things got temporarily worse for ~2-3 weeks then gradually got about 50% improved, which is where I am now 2 months after reinstatement. 

If I had interpreted this temporary worsening of symptoms as an "adverse" reaction, I would not have known that I would get better. 

I feel that the language used on this site often determines members interpretation of what is happening to them. This can be valuable but also cause them to instantly classify symptoms as "adverse reactions", leading them to abruptly stop out of fear and not find out if they would improve.

When starting SSRIs for the first time, there are usually onset effects. It's been my experience twice that this occurs in reinstatement too, but is usually a bit harsher due to the exhausted/anxious state. 

So in that sense, I had an "adverse reaction", things got worse. I did not interpret it this way, I just carried on and interpreted it as an onset effect, then I gradually got much better. 

I wish you luck and cant guarantee you will have the same experience I did

Jay

• 2008: Started Citalopram 30mg
  • Sept 2014: Tapered down Citalopram over 6 months and discontinued Feb 2015
  • Severe withdrawals peaked in July/Aug 2015. Totally housebound.
  • Sept 2015: Sertraline started @ 100mg on GP advice.
  • Oct to Dec 2015: Reduced to Sertraline 50mg due to side effects. 
  • Jan 2016 to March 2017: Tapered Sertraline to 2mg @ 10% per month. 
  • Severe withdrawals peaked again June 2017. Totally housebound. 
  • Diazepam: July 2017 5mg // Aug 2017 2.5mg // Sept 2017 1mg // 12th Dec 2017 0.85mg 
  • Sertraline Reinstatement: 23 Oct 2017 5mg // 15 Nov 2017 10mg // 23 Nov 2017 15mg 
  • 1 month later...

Our son is been reinstated few days after the new year. he CT zyprexa from 0.625mg. then reinstated to 1.25mg. of zyprexa. and still on the same dose. 

The one problem that did not go away is psychosis. he wants to go to school and work part-time but the hearing voices and talking to himself disturbed him. 

we are at lose. we have no idea how to help him. I know here, we are told keep slow and steady but giving poison to your son and staying steady frustrates us. 

I wish those with a lot of experience would recommend or list the things that help people in distress with natural remedies or vitamin to stay steady. 

I'm just writing this from frustration. But trying to find someone to connect with a similar problem or know something that I need to know. 

God bless. 

Hi, 

This is Tyson. I'm not sure if I'm doing this in the right place. But I'm doing this cause I thought I don't have a file here. 

I was trying to get some help from members with my son's withdrawal, but it's been lost somewhere. So, I thought maybe I should 

put my intro. and then that might help.

My son started Respiradol 3mg took that for three month and dropped it. Then Abilify 5mg for six month and due to his restlesnes, stopped by his doc. 

then got ordered to take zyprexa 15mg. He took zyprexa for five years but lowering with the help of doc and compounding pharmacy. he is now on 1.25mg. but 

things are getting tough. no nutrition guide or supplements. 

• Moderator Emeritus
2 hours ago, tyson said:

I wish those with a lot of experience would recommend or list the things that help people in distress with natural remedies or vitamin to stay steady. 

If we knew of anything which would help we would certainly tell people.  The only supplements which SA recommends are Magnesium and Omega-3 Fish Oil.  Try a small amount one at a time to see how you react.  It is best to make only 1 change at a time.  It is also better not to start taking a complex vitamin because if you experience issues you will not know what exactly is causing it.  B vitamins can be stimulating especially B6.  hypersensitive-to-b-vitamin-or-b-vitamin-complex  If trying anything new, start with a small amount to see how you react and build up to the recommended amount.

We strongly recommended learning and using Non-drug techniques to cope

There are many existing topics and discussions on this site.  You can use the site search function on the main page of the site at the top right, or use a search engine and include survivingantidepressants.org in your search string.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Our son is been reinstated few days after the new year. he CT zyprexa from 0.625mg. then reinstated to 1.25mg. of zyprexa. and still on the same dose. 

The one problem that did not go away is psychosis. he wants to go to school and work part-time but the hearing voices and talking to himself disturbed him. 

we are at lose. we have no idea how to help him. I know here, we are told keep slow and steady but giving poison to your son and staying steady frustrates us. 

I'm just writing this from frustration. But trying to find someone to connect with a similar problem or know something that I need to know. 

God bless. 

Hi, ChessieCat.

Thanks for your quick response. The reason I was asking for any help was that I read an article on Mad In America by Dr. Breggin. 

He mentioned about the psychiatric medication as poison pills and I agree with him. But I'm frustrated thinking about that cause I'm involved in feeding this poison to my son knowing that it's destroying his brain every day. I have been a regular follower on this site and others to find something that might help him. Anything that would fight that poison until he tapers to the last. 

Edited by ChessieCat
added spacing

Hi, 

This is Tyson. I'm not sure if I'm doing this in the right place. But I'm doing this cause I thought I don't have a file here. 

I was trying to get some help from members with my son's withdrawal, but it's been lost somewhere. So, I thought maybe I should 

put my intro. and then that might help.

My son started Respiradol 3mg took that for three month and dropped it. Then Abilify 5mg for six month and due to his restlesnes, stopped by his doc. 

then got ordered to take zyprexa 15mg. He took zyprexa for five years but lowering with the help of doc and compounding pharmacy. he is now on 1.25mg. but 

things are getting tough. no nutrition guide or supplements. 

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy