SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

How long does depression from withdrawal last?

Hellbutrin

I know that there is no definitive answer to this question and I've read the articles and information that is available about the windows and waves pattern of recovery. I'm just curious to know what people's personal experiences are related to recovery? I haven't seen any improvement in my memory, concentration or depressive symptoms, and I've noticed the development of some concerning NEW withdrawal symptoms. Last night I went out and had some drinks with a coworker, I know that this is unwise since it can further throw your central neuro system off balance, but I had a stressful weekend and I didn't see the harm in a few drinks. I'm not too proud to admit that I was oh so totally underestimating how terrible of an idea this was. I've had a couple of drinks here and there since beginning my taper from Wellbutrin, but I never anticipated how bad it could effect me if I drank more than my usual one or two drinks. I had four drinks yesterday afternoon, and I came home and felt like I was going to come out of my skin. I felt more agitated than I've ever felt, and I felt like I needed to be constantly moving or I would go crazy. This was the most bizarre sensation! I felt like I needed to hit something, and my fiancee took me on a walk so that I could try to get some of my irritability and agitation out of my system. This helped enough to where I could finally go pass out on my couch. I woke up this morning and I was mortified and more embarrassed than I've ever been about anything. I feel so sorry for my fiancee having to put up with me when I'm like that, but I also don't know what I would do without him. He's a god send, and I'm not sure how I would get through this without him. Does anyone know if there is a specific symptom pattern when we are healing, or is the way we heal totally specific to the individual? I'm hoping that since I'm seeing all of these new emerging symptoms that they are a sign that my brain is trying to heal in other areas. It's difficult to remain positive when there's so little literature in circulation about what to expect during withdrawal. 

1. Started Wellbutrin 75 mg IR the end of 2015.
  2. Tried quitting cold turkey in June 30th- July 3rd 2017.
  3. Had severe withdrawals.
  4. Was placed on Wellbutrin 100mg SR so I could taper without withdrawal.
  5. Stabilized on 100mg SR for most of the month of July.
  6. Started tapering on July 17th,  2017.
  7. Completed taper on August 8th, 2017.
  8. Currently experiencing severe withdrawal.
  • Symptoms- Currently experiencing anhedonia, depersonalization/derealization, concentration/memory issues, chronic congestion, chronic dry eyes, dry skin, dislocated TMJ joint from teeth grinding during C/T withdrawal, waves of depression, anxiety, nausea, morning cortisol spikes, insomnia, agitation, food sensitivities, no tolerance for caffeine and chronic fatigue, burning muscle pain in upper and lower back and occasional tinninitus.
  • Supplements- Omega-3 fish oil supplement twice daily, 100 mg of magnesium once daily. 

• Moderator Emeritus

I suggest you check out this area of the forum Success stories: Recovery from withdrawal

Also, check out the members in the general forum with the "here comes the sun" symbol at the beginning of their title.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy