Digestive problems: nausea, diarrhoea, bloating, GERD

alexjuice

When I took headmeds every morning without fail I ate porridge oats.I couldn't eat it now if you paid me.The thought just makes me reach.Same with orange juice,chilli,peppercorns,curry,garlic and any strongly flavoured foods.Anyone else experienced this ?

Sertraline 100mg amytrip 60mg diazepam 4mg (and when needed) since late 90's.Reduced all meds over 6 wks (too short) last doses 13 wks ago.Still having withdrawals.I would have done it differently

5th august 2015 reinstated 5mg amytripiline.increased to 10mg amtrip 9th sept 2015.

• Administrator

If you don't care for it, stop eating it for a while. Let your nervous system settle down.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Oh, i never thought about these things affecting the nervous system..

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Nightmare that could have been avoided!

My gut seems to settle better on milk and eggs.strange I didnt really care for these previously.

Sertraline 100mg amytrip 60mg diazepam 4mg (and when needed) since late 90's.Reduced all meds over 6 wks (too short) last doses 13 wks ago.Still having withdrawals.I would have done it differently

5th august 2015 reinstated 5mg amytripiline.increased to 10mg amtrip 9th sept 2015.

• 2 weeks later...

Ive had pale stools since I had my last dose of the first taper.Is this a common symptom ? At what stage in withdrawal does is end ? (At least theyre firm now)

• Administrator

You need to have liver function blood tests.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Ive read on other sites that its quite common with withdrawals especially with benzo's.If it continues I might have to just to be sure.

Has anyone experienced side/flank pain and/or stomach bloating after a bowel movement? It feels like gas but why would it hurt after a bowel movement?

This has begun to happen after I eat a lot of the times too. I eat very clean and don't eat large meals. Thanks!

Lexapro from October 2012-October 2014

10mg from Oct 2012-Feb 201320mg from Feb 2013-June 201310mg from July 2013-April 2014
Began taper via liquid Lexapro from April 2014-September 2014(Roughly 6 month taper)---0.00 on Oct 1 2014--WD began in December 2014

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reinstated to 10mg - 10mg Tablet October 15, 2015 - Stable by Mid-January, 2016

2016 - 9mg 3/26/16....8mg 5/11/16....7mg 7/05/16....6mg 8/26/16....5mg 10/31/16

2017 - 4mg 3/06/17....3mg 6/24/17....2mg 9/07/17...1.25mg 10/21/17....1mg 11/04/2017

2018 - 0.75mg 1/21/18....0.5mg 2/18/18....0.25mg 3/13/18....0.125mg 3/27/18....0.000 4/9/18

Supplements - 15B probiotic on and off. Usually helps w/ mood but sometimes is too activating.

• Administrator

It could also be from eating a lot of rice or pasta -- pale foods.

I've had side, back and flank pain after eating. For me, it feels like nerve pain and is worse when standing. I have no explanation to offer, but I speculate that it's just another aspect of the nervous system healing. I had it in one area, then it moved, and now, it's moved to a different spot again. I've been seeing a chiropractor and that's helped a lot, as has acupuncture.

Have you looked on the thread about digestive issues? I can't think of the title of it right now, but there's a lot of discussion about things like probiotics and diet in it, along with various symptoms.

Remeron for depression. Started at 7.5 mg. in 2005. Gradual increases over 8 years, up to 45 mg. in 2012.Began tapering in June 2013. Went from 45 to 30 mg in the first 3-4 months. Held for a couple of months.Started tapering by 3.75 mg every month or 2, with some longer holding periods. Eventually went down to 3.75 mg. about April 2014. Stopped taking Remeron August 2014. Developed issues with histamine a week after stopping--symptoms reduced through diet and a few supplements. Currently having issues with a few foods. Most of the histamine intolerance has resolved or is at least, in remission.

Current Medications:

Current Supplements: Cannabis (CBD and THC), Vitamin C, D, Quercetin, CoQ10, Tart Cherry, Probiotic, Phytoplankton oil, magnesium, Methyl B. What has helped me most: spending time in nature, qi gong, exercise, healthy diet, meditation, IV vitamins, homeopathy, massage, acupuncture, chiropractic, music, and cuddling my cats..

My introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/8459-mirtazapine-withdrawal-freespirit/#entry144282

Please note: I am not a therapist or medical practitioner. Any suggestions offered come solely from my personal experience in recovering from childhood trauma, therapy, and AD use. Please seek appropriate care for yourself.

“After a cruel childhood, one must reinvent oneself. Then re-imagine the world.”
Mary Oliver

Yes! A hoarse cry of recognition. I had three week-long episodes of excruciating flank pain while in the middle of a mirtazapine taper. Strangely, it was accompanied by constipation and bloating, which I've never had before or since. Told doctors I thought it might be related to wd and was made to feel like an idiot. They tested for every possible cause any of us could think of and couldn't confirm any of them. Finally it just went away, so they decided it was probably a (tiny) kidney stone. (Fine explanation for something too small to show up on a CAT scan except two episodes were on one side and one on the other.) I suspect it was nerve-muscle things, but that doesn't explain the co occurring constipation. Saw many doctors and none had ever encountered anything like it. This was about 1.5 years ago, I'm off mirt, though still experiencing insomnia and other minor but annoying symptoms, and am knocking on wood that the pain hasn't returned.

Just for comparison purposes I'll mention that the pain was most unbearable when I lay down, especially on my back, so I had to attempt to sleep in a chair. (Tends to confirm the neuromuscular explanation.) Also, about this time, a routine physical turned up blood in my urine, which a series of tests couldn't explain, and which went away in a week or so. (This was what led to the kidney stone theory.) 

Diagnosed w/ ADD and minor depression in 1990. Fluoxetine 20 mg/day. Also methylphenidate, but hated it and quit after about a week. Quit fluoxetine cold turkey (ignorance) 18 January 2013. Experienced brain zaps, flu symptoms, heart palpitations. Nothing after August 2013. Mirtazapine 15 mg/day for sleep beginning around 1999. Began tapering August 2013.  As of March 2015 I'm off mirtazapine and antidepressant free. Don't sleep well after sunrise, feel anxious and sad some of the time, still have tinnitus. Still occasionally take lorazepam for anxiety but never more than 1 mg.  Prescribed metoprolol (beta blocker) for atrial fibrillation diagnosed June 2013. Medical  opinion (two cardiologists) is that it's not caused by fluoxetine w/drawal and is a dangerous, chronic condition requiring lifelong medication. As of Aug 2013 heart palpitations for the most part ceased. Tapered beta blocker and am off of it as of Jan 2015. No wd symptoms or recurring afib at all so far. Maybe it was wd after all, but doctors don't think so, surprise surprise. However, a small victory: the last doctor I related this to shrugged her shoulders. Getting lots of exercise, which has me physically pretty robust at age 71 in spite of persistence of mirt wd symptoms, mainly insomnia and anxiety, but also jaw-clenching annoyance at noises of a certain pitch and timbre. Incessant media fixation on the presidential campaign has ruined my disposition and my faith in the future. My Introduction.

Ive been thinking about this ALTSTR its probably all the milk and yoghurt I consume. :unsure:

Thanks all! Glad to hear I'm not alone. It certainly moves from my flank, to the front of my stomach and the worst is up underneath my ribs. I'm assuming it's nerve pain/bloating and I'm more sensitive to it since being in WD. I've also noticed I get very shaky and almost non functional after I eat sometimes. Even though i eat very clean. No rhyme or reason to this stuff!

Thanks!

10mg from Oct 2012-Feb 201320mg from Feb 2013-June 201310mg from July 2013-April 2014
Began taper via liquid Lexapro from April 2014-September 2014(Roughly 6 month taper)---0.00 on Oct 1 2014--WD began in December 2014

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017 - 4mg 3/06/17....3mg 6/24/17....2mg 9/07/17...1.25mg 10/21/17....1mg 11/04/2017

2018 - 0.75mg 1/21/18....0.5mg 2/18/18....0.25mg 3/13/18....0.125mg 3/27/18....0.000 4/9/18

Supplements - 15B probiotic on and off. Usually helps w/ mood but sometimes is too activating.

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm renaming this thread and merging it with another that covers similar issues.

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

• 2 weeks later...

Not suggesting this is a cure for anyone. But following one acupuncture treatment, I've had normal digestion for the past 2 weeks. I still have some times of pain while standing or walking, but I'm addressing this through chiropractic and stretching. The pain is significantly less than it was a few months ago. The chiro and acupuncturist both commented on the torque I have going on in my spine and rib cage...which they suspect is related to the digestive issues. For me, this likely is not all WD...as I had a very serious MVA a number of years ago, from which I'm still recovering. But I didn't have digestive things following that, just a lot of muscle injury and pain.

Remeron for depression. Started at 7.5 mg. in 2005. Gradual increases over 8 years, up to 45 mg. in 2012.Began tapering in June 2013. Went from 45 to 30 mg in the first 3-4 months. Held for a couple of months.Started tapering by 3.75 mg every month or 2, with some longer holding periods. Eventually went down to 3.75 mg. about April 2014. Stopped taking Remeron August 2014. Developed issues with histamine a week after stopping--symptoms reduced through diet and a few supplements. Currently having issues with a few foods. Most of the histamine intolerance has resolved or is at least, in remission.

Current Medications:

Current Supplements: Cannabis (CBD and THC), Vitamin C, D, Quercetin, CoQ10, Tart Cherry, Probiotic, Phytoplankton oil, magnesium, Methyl B. What has helped me most: spending time in nature, qi gong, exercise, healthy diet, meditation, IV vitamins, homeopathy, massage, acupuncture, chiropractic, music, and cuddling my cats..

My introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/8459-mirtazapine-withdrawal-freespirit/#entry144282

Please note: I am not a therapist or medical practitioner. Any suggestions offered come solely from my personal experience in recovering from childhood trauma, therapy, and AD use. Please seek appropriate care for yourself.

“After a cruel childhood, one must reinvent oneself. Then re-imagine the world.”
Mary Oliver

Does anybody else feel like they have a burp stuck that won't come out?

Yes, me. It makes me very uncomfortable. Very anxious and nauseas. Usually takes me a few burps over a few hours and then I feel better. I chalk it up to withdrawal. It's SO ANNOYING! I can definitely relate WiggleIt...If you ever wnt to talk message me.

I found that L-glutamine helps so much with stomach issues like ikam mentioned.

Current meds: Escitalopram

Was put on 20mg Lexapro for 4 years; was at 18mg for ~1 week.

4/19/15: 15mg; WD symptoms include: loss of appetite, weight loss, nausea and indigestion after eating, diarrhea, and anxiety. Most of these happen at night.

6/5/15: 13mg; WD symptoms include: tiredness/lightheadedness, indigestion, numbness (emotionally)

7/6/15: 11mg --> 7/10/14: 11.7mg (wanted to taper by 10%)

8/10/15: 10mg; WD symptoms include: anxiety, nausea, GI upset, headaches

9/1/15: bumped back to 10.5mg (back to tapering by 10%); 10/5/15: back to 10mg

11/8: down to 9mg: feeling depressed so far ---> 11/16: bumped back to 10mg :(

1/23: back to 9mg; headaches, "motion sickness" feeling, anxiety

3/24: 8.5mg; 5/24: 8mg; nausea and dizziness bumped back to 8.5mg 3/26 :(

blog: https://offwithyourmeds.wordpress.com

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone have days where you have acid reflux all day, whether you have eaten or not? Should I chalk it up to stress/anxiety of WD? Nothing helps it.

I am still struggling with daily nausea. Also would like to start decreasing my gabapenten. I take 2 300mg caps 3 times a day. How do I do a 10% reduction? Take capsule apart?

I'm on 1800 mg of gabapentin 3x600, .325 Klonopin(.25 in am, .125 afternoon), in the evening I take cymbalta 30mg down from 60mg, remeron 30mg and lamictal 100 mg. Nausea and anxiety are my worst symptoms. C

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all

Can anyone offer advice please. I have reduced Lexapro 10mgs over the last 20 months or so and have only got down to 2-2.5mgs. I have been on various SSRIs over 15 yeaars or so and have had a couple of failed taper attempts that is why I am going so slow. I have got off pretty lightly compared to some but have had muscle issues, dizziness, low mood and irritability etc. For some reason my GI tract is now playing up. The best way to describe it is "in distress". I have severe bloating and it feels irritated by everything I eat or drink. When I wake in the morning it is like my stomach and intestines go in to overdrive and get hyperstimulated.

I have been a vegetarian for 30 years or so and have recently really tried to increase my fruit and veg (maybe too much) and cut out sugar completely. I do drink tea and coffee (not decaf). I don,t have loose stools or constipation but just this kind of overstimulated distress.

Can anyone relate?

Love to all.

PN x

1995-1998 various SSRIs then withdrawal

2000 Sertraline

2003 Sertraline then changed to Prozac to attempt withdrawal.

2004 failed at withdrawal so Citalopram.

2010 attempted slow withdrawal over 12 months but failed- sever episode depression 2012

2012 3 days of Mirtazepine with bad reaction so started escitalopram 20mgs

2013 started very very slow taper with a number of slight reinstatements

Currently on between 0.5 and 1mg escitalopram drops at day.

• Moderator Emeritus

Please see: Digestive problems: Nausea, Diarrhea, Bloating, GERD ... (topics merged)

Edited by Petunia
updated

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Hi all

Can anyone offer advice please. I have reduced Lexapro 10mgs over the last 20 months or so and have only got down to 2-2.5mgs. I have been on various SSRIs over 15 yeaars or so and have had a couple of failed taper attempts that is why I am going so slow. I have got off pretty lightly compared to some but have had muscle issues, dizziness, low mood and irritability etc. For some reason my GI tract is now playing up. The best way to describe it is "in distress". I have severe bloating and it feels irritated by everything I eat or drink. When I wake in the morning it is like my stomach and intestines go in to overdrive and get hyperstimulated.

I have been a vegetarian for 30 years or so and have recently really tried to increase my fruit and veg (maybe too much) and cut out sugar completely. I do drink tea and coffee (not decaf). I don,t have loose stools or constipation but just this kind of overstimulated distress.

Can anyone relate?

Love to all.

PN x

Sounds just like me. I've been going super slow but GI issues are my top withdrawal symptom. My anxiety doesn't help either since I have a huge huge huge fear of getting sick. How many mg are you on now?

4/19/15: 15mg; WD symptoms include: loss of appetite, weight loss, nausea and indigestion after eating, diarrhea, and anxiety. Most of these happen at night.

6/5/15: 13mg; WD symptoms include: tiredness/lightheadedness, indigestion, numbness (emotionally)

PN,

That describes very well how things were for me when I jumped off. It took a number of things and period of time for that to settle. Because everyone is so different, it's impossible to know exactly what combination of things might work for you. In my case, it was changing to low histamine diet, eventually adding a few supplements, acupuncture, qi gong, chiropractic, IV vitamins.

Even with eating a low histamine diet, there have been things that are safe on that list that I can't eat...so that's all a matter of trial and error too. I used to eat a mostly vegetarian diet, with a little chicken or turkey. That had to change because of histamine, because I could no longer tolerate tofu, beans, dairy, nuts, seeds, etc...so had to have some way of getting protein.

Current Medications:

Mary Oliver

Blackrabbit, 

I am on roughly 2.2mgs of Lexapro now. Over the last 48 hours or so my GI symptoms have improved slightly but I still bloat easily. It is almost like my system goes in to overdrive. When I wake my stomach is comfortable and fairly flat. (I am rather small in size) within 10 minutes of getting out of bed I start bloating. It is so frustrating. I do feel quite stressed at the moment as we have a few issues at home with an elderly father in law and some financial issues so may be that doesn't help.

Freespirit

I may look in to the low histamine diet thank you.

Love to all

PN x

1995-1998 various SSRIs then withdrawal

2000 Sertraline

2003 Sertraline then changed to Prozac to attempt withdrawal.

2004 failed at withdrawal so Citalopram.

2010 attempted slow withdrawal over 12 months but failed- sever episode depression 2012

2012 3 days of Mirtazepine with bad reaction so started escitalopram 20mgs

2013 started very very slow taper with a number of slight reinstatements

Currently on between 0.5 and 1mg escitalopram drops at day.

If the majority of serotonin our body manufacturers is in the gut, has there been any scientific research to show that withdrawal leads to gut problems because of the lack of meds? I am so curious if anyone's psychiatrists have concluded this or agreed with these issues.

I just realized when I was off my meds for 3 weeks and my stomach was a complete mess, I thought it was all due to the E. coli they found in my stool test. I hadn't even realized it could have also been due to being cold-turkeyed off my meds. I had horrendous GERD, stuck burps, flank pain, diarrhea, nausea, no appetite, etc.

Since 1990s: Various meds depression/anxiety. A little benefit from Effexor; Zoloft/Sertraline. Unsuccessful tapers

Feb 2015: Neurological crash / Hemiplegic Migraine after Sertraline taper slower than pdoc's suggestion 50-37-25-12-6-0mg.

Found SA. Reinstated 25mg Sertraline

July 2015:  Medical occurrence thought to be due to Sertraline. Told to D/C. Hypomania/anxiety resulted. Reinstated

Sept 2016: Increased to 37mg Sertraline due to depression/anxiety symptoms or more likely withdrawal symptoms

Dec 2016: Insurance company refused to fill 37mg (1 1/2 pills) Given 25mg.

2017: Started taper, got fearful of possible withdrawal effects, stopped.
May 2018: Still dealing with side effects. New pdoc. 25mg Lamictal added to 25mg Sertraline. 5 mg Melatonin added. Feeling better. Would still like to wean off Sertraline and then Lamictal, but holding for now. I have a very sensitive system with meds.

No other meds. Supplements: Multivitamin, Vitamin D, Probiotic, Fish oil.

i have no appetite, stomach ache, sometimes nausea.  Still on Pristiq which I am reading can cause this.

Currently on 50mg of Pristiq.  Been on AD for 18 years.  Off Xanax since June 2, 2015, Tapered.  Pristiq has caused stomach issued and increasing cholesterol since May 2014.  Time to find a way off.

Just want to share something that has worked very well for me and I just figured this out in the last week or so. I have had some of the worst stomach problems on this forum and things are getting better. Chewing on Raw Ginger preferebly Organic because if your writing on this board that means you are super sensitive.  Buy Raw Ginger and slice a half inch worth and suck and chew it slowly . It has made a huge difference for me. I have been drinking ginger tea throughout WD but chewing on it seems to work way better. It settles my stomach down and helps with digestion , gerd and pretty much everything. Give it a try. 

Was on 30mg (Lexapro) for 7-8yrs20mg for 3 months (This was my choice my Doc wanted me to drop much faster)15 mg 2week10mg 2 weeks 5 mg 1 week0 since August 24th . PPI Dexlant  30 mg taper has begun. Cutting 20% currently.  using zantac as needed.  Benzo is currently 0.10mg 

I find it works good before eating and after eating. Before eating it seems to get the digestive juices going .. Its really been amazing.

Was on 30mg (Lexapro) for 7-8yrs20mg for 3 months (This was my choice my Doc wanted me to drop much faster)15 mg 2week10mg 2 weeks 5 mg 1 week0 since August 24th . PPI Dexlant  30 mg taper has begun. Cutting 20% currently.  using zantac as needed.  Benzo is currently 0.10mg 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi There,

I am new to this forum.

I was taking zoloft off and on for about 13 years.. mostly on. Somewhere in that time frame of off.. I tried lexapro and was on it for 5 years or so.. it made me suicidal and other symptoms. Ive been off of that one since 2011.

I got off zoloft about 2 years ago. 16 months ago I started with terrible GI symptoms.

I have also developed some sort of histamine intolerance.

I am just learning about all this now.

I am really having trouble digesting foods. I need to take a digestive enzyme, but having so much trouble with gastritis that I cant.

Ive tried different things to coat my stomach and lining.. but I just found out that dgl blocks the doa enzyme that breaks down the histamine in our bodies...so that was making my symptoms worse.

I can not tolerate a lot of foods.

I have tried working with a couple different practitioners.. the last one put me on saurkraut, applecidar vinegar, and some other things that I just found out thru the grace of God that they were high histamine foods...

I am having some histamine reactions.

What do you folks do to help heal your gut.

I dont do much broth because it is also high in histamine..

Thank you for this forum!

Started Zoloft 150 mg 1997 for symptoms of PTSD. 1998 on Ativan for about 2 months. Came off zoloft around 2004. Had terrible feelings of anxiety, loneliness, depression, eating disorder. Hospitalized and placed on Lexapro. Struggled with feelings of dread and SI. Came off lexapro in 2008 to try to have a baby. 2009 miscarried twins. Very depressed and SI. Hospitalized and placed on Cymbalta, remeron and "top" something for about a month. Came off all those without tapers and restarted zoloft 75mg. Then weaned off quick taper. 2010 restarted Lexapro for pms. Within 3 days dread and urges of anxiety, SI returned. Immediately went off of it and restarted zoloft 50 mg. 2013 tapered off Zoloft quickly within 2 months. Used Amino acids to help. I did not know I was experiencing withdrawal symptoms: insomnia, irritability, exhaustion,tinnitus,very sensitive to sounds, very sensitive to scents and chemicals. Severe GI symptoms July 2014. Pain and bloating with all veggies, lost weight, job, marriage. Emotional liability, extreme fear,not feeling safe, trauma resurfacing. Main issue now is severe GI issues, unable to advance foods, extreme small intestine sensitivities, pain, food intolerances, histamine issues, bile reflux, gastritis, gallbladder and liver pain,tinnitus,unable to tolerate supplements at this time. Low energy due to malnourished. Thought I had SIBO. Oh..and I just entered menopause at 47..no period for 1 year.

Hi guys
I now realize why im having such a problem....since last November I started to come off zyprexa it took 8 months. it took 4 mo to see a psychiatrist, he continued the taper 50% in the beginning.....then cut doses to 25 % but i still had lots of problems...He took me of both Zyprexa & Lexapro @ the same time alternating dose cuts 30 days apart. Major problem, doctors just have no idea what to expect. I am off zyprexa 5 months and down to 1.6 Lexapro very sick the while long 3 months now. biggest problem is Gas Bloating & insomnia just cant sleep 3.5 months now always full I wake At 2 or 3 am with severe gastro issues like ive just mentioned need to see if any solutions have been found re gastro or insomnia cant stand it any more please help if you can. my last dose cut was from 2mg to 1.6 been about 48 days on 1.6 lex will have to see what happens at day 60 which is on the 25 of November fingers crossed.....the doc im seeing now never mentioned the 10% dose reduction I found it on your site.....I hope I can get back on track.....Im on 1.6 hope I will stabilize soon and then will cut the dose between 5and10% probably closer to 5% is what im thinking.....I posted my drug history tonight....please look at it and give me some input......TY Nivek

25 October 2015 - 06:26 PM

November 2014 2.5 olanzapine cut 50% to 1.25 in dec 2014

January 22nd 2015 olanzapine cut 60% to .50 for 30 days

February 2015 .25 olanzapine for 30 days

Feb 2015 cut escitalopram/ Lexapro from 20 to 15 mg

March 2015 .1875 olanzapine 30 days

April 2015 .14 olanzapine to june 1st than off

march 2015 12.5 lex

April 2015 10 lex may 7.5 june 5mg

july 3.75 aug 2.5 sept 2mg

oct 2015 1.6

The things that help me when my stomach is really bad is going dairy and wheat free. Eating cooked veggies with chicken or fish . Rice for the most part is okay with me aswell. Chewing slowly on Raw ginger has made a massive difference for me after meals.   Trial and Error with food for you right now . See what works.  My guess is your system is going to take a while to calm down but once it does you will be able to tolerate more foods. 

The things that help me when my stomach is really bad is going dairy and wheat free. Eating cooked veggies with chicken or fish . Rice for the most part is okay with me aswell. Chewing slowly on Raw ginger has made a massive difference for me after meals.   Trial and Error with food for you right now . See what works.  My guess is your system is going to take a while to calm down but once it does you will be able to tolerate more foods.

Ive read about chewing ginger a lot, but what exactly do you mean by chewing? Do you just chew and swallow the juices? Or do you chew and swallow like youre eating it. Honestly i hate of ginger...i cant drink ginger tea, only lemon and ginger tea. The taste alone grosses me out.

I just buy the raw ginger. I cut a small piece  like half an inch or so than peel the skin. I suck on it like a candy and really slowly bite down on it so the juices come out. Eventually I chew it and eat all of it. Its easier to chew and eat the rest when some of the juice is gone so its not as potent. The small piece can take anywhere from 10-30 minutes for me to finish. It has really worked wonders for me . I probably have 2 a day. Its much more potent than the teas Ive had because I dont think I was consuming as much ginger.

I just buy the raw ginger. I cut a small piece  like half an inch or so than peel the skin. I suck on it like a candy and really slowly bite down on it so the juices come out. Eventually I chew it and eat all of it. Its easier to chew and eat the rest when some of the juice is gone so its not as potent. The small piece can take anywhere from 10-30 minutes for me to finish. It has really worked wonders for me . I probably have 2 a day. Its much more potent than the teas Ive had because I dont think I was consuming as much ginger.

Ok thanks. On another note, I see you got of Lexapro pretty quickly it seems. Did you suffer many withdrawal symptoms? I [thought I] was tapering slow. I went from 20mg in April to 9mg a week ago and I'm still feeling lousy (indigestion, nausea, anxiety--mostly at night, and tiredness and emotional numbness--mostly during the day). What was your tapering process like? What helped (besides the ginger part). Thanks in advance!

Hey ya I got hammered with severe WD symptoms and im still feeling too many things. now 14 months off.  However my symptoms have improved, My stomach issues have improved alot. I was unable to eat for almost 3 months and in tremendous pain for 10 months. My gut is probably functioning at around 60% on bad days and 75-80% on good days. My tapering was like being thrown off a cliff ! However I did okay until I hit 5mg. I was suffering from WD symptoms without knowing it while I went from 30-5mg. But when I hit 5mg the WD symtoms were too strong and it knocked me on my butt!  It wasnt a CT though.  I have had almost all the WD symptoms that are common on this thread during my 14 months so far. Most symptoms have gotten way better but some are still pretty strong. I am hopefull that his next year I can make even bigger improvements. 

Besides Ginger the things that helped me was fennel teas  and a hot pack or water bottle gently on my stomach. Doing my best to focus on things I like and not focus on how much my gut hurts. And the number 1 factor is time . Only time will truly heal us all.  

hi guys......I am looking for some direction here.....I've been going to fast but now in a slow slow mode....I have been on 1.6 Lexapro liquid for in a few day 2 months...most of the problem is BLOATING gas gut issues etc. and when I eat no matter how light I feel like so so full its crazy. also insomnia so the question is do I stay on 1.6 another mo or drop to 1.4 1/2 which is a 10% reduction my oral syringe lets me go 1/2 tic if I don't want to go 1- 10th which is a tic Gonna try raw ginger for gut issues....hope it works....also what about the insomnia......taking 200 mg 5-htp And 3mg melatonin and 12.5 trazodone and get 4hrs very interrupted sleep at best..... I wake usally about 1 hr or so after I go to bed on and off the best I get is 4 hrs....looking for some direction TY Nivek

25 October 2015 - 06:26 PM

November 2014 2.5 olanzapine cut 50% to 1.25 in dec 2014

January 22nd 2015 olanzapine cut 60% to .50 for 30 days

February 2015 .25 olanzapine for 30 days

Feb 2015 cut escitalopram/ Lexapro from 20 to 15 mg

March 2015 .1875 olanzapine 30 days

April 2015 .14 olanzapine to june 1st than off

march 2015 12.5 lex

April 2015 10 lex may 7.5 june 5mg

july 3.75 aug 2.5 sept 2mg

oct 2015 1.6

Hey Nivak I was on the Lexapro at 30mg and my doctor had me almost CT. The gut issues were horrendous as you could imagine. So I can totally relate and I understand feeling full and gut issues.  I dont know much about tapering but id maybe stay on that dose if the symptoms are still really strong 

I dont know much about melatonin or 5htp but I did try it. Both were no help for me. Melatonin made me feel drunk even at a low dose 

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy