SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Hopefulstill: 20+ years on Paxil

Hopefulstill

Hi I am Hopefulstill and new.

I started at 20 mg. Paxil......    

Now years later on 50 mg.

but seems to have pooped out. 

I am going to try tapering off.  Started with 46 mg. yesterday

Here goes!  Glad I found this site

1995 - 2003 - Lithium -(300 mg 2xday), Paxil - (20mg),  2003 - Stopped Lithium, Paxil eventually increased up to 50 mg  

beginning Paxil reduction:

October 14, 2017 46 mg., Jan 2018  42 mg., April  40 mg,  Feb 8, 2019  37 mg,  Feb. 23,  35 mg.(approx),  March 22,  40 Holding

Levothyroxin - 112/125 mcg, Profanone - 150 mg, Metoprolol - 25 mg Telmisartan - 40 mg, Altostatin - 10 mg , Calcium, Vitamin, Magnesium, Fish Oil

• ChessieCat changed the title to Hopefulstill: 20+years on Paxil
  • Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hopefulstill

• Cheeky

• ChessieCat

• dreamspirit

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Hopefulstill and welcome to SA.  I'm really glad you found this site too.  There is a wealth of information and it's good for members to get support from and be able to support each other.  If you click on the tags under your topic title top left it will list other members with the same tag.

It would seem from your dose reduction that you already know about at least something about tapering.  However I will give you the information which we provide new members.

Please follow these instructions and create your drug signature.  Please remember to update it whenever you make a change so that it remains current and we can see the information at a glance without having to read back through your topic.  Thanks.

A request: Would you summarize your history in a signature - ALL drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly?

• Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses.
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs. 
  • Any drugs prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years.
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago)
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016.
  • Link to Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

Before you begin tapering what you need to know

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Dr Joseph Glenmullen's Withdrawal Symptoms

Tips for tapering off Paxil (paroxetine)

How do you talk to a doctor about tapering and withdrawal?

What should I expect from my doctor about withdrawal symptoms?

These really helped me to understand SA's tapering protocol and how reducing by no more than 10% of the previous dose and holding for about 4 weeks allows the brain to adapt to not getting as much of the drug:

Brain Remodelling

Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

Even a slow and careful taper can cause withdrawal symptoms and it is very important to built up your tool box of Non-drug techniques so that when issues arise you can use them.  It is important not to panic.  When we panic we want an immediate solution but if we have our tools we can use these to help us get through the tough spots without turning to drugs.

Please note that it's important to make only one change at a time otherwise if you develop an issue you won't know what caused it.  The only 2 supplements which SA recommends are Magnesium and Omega-3 Fish Oil  It is best to try a very small amount first to test it and then build up the dose.  B vitamins, especially B6, can be activating.  Also alcohol and caffeine may cause problems during the course of tapering.

This is your own Introduction topic where you can ask questions and journal your progress.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Thank you for your reply and telling me how to put in my drug signature.  It took me a couple times to edit it but hopefully it is okay now.  Omg, so you have taken ads a long time too.  I believe Pristiq is the same as Paxil?  I cant believe you are at 18 mg. currently!!  That is amazing.  I hope I can do as well.  How are you feeling now?

1995 - 2003 - Lithium -(300 mg 2xday), Paxil - (20mg),  2003 - Stopped Lithium, Paxil eventually increased up to 50 mg  

October 14, 2017 46 mg., Jan 2018  42 mg., April  40 mg,  Feb 8, 2019  37 mg,  Feb. 23,  35 mg.(approx),  March 22,  40 Holding

Levothyroxin - 112/125 mcg, Profanone - 150 mg, Metoprolol - 25 mg Telmisartan - 40 mg, Altostatin - 10 mg , Calcium, Vitamin, Magnesium, Fish Oil

So I guess I update information here on my introduction page?

October 16, 2017 - Paxil 45 mg. - actually felt more upbeat hoping I can get off Paxil and be normal again!

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Hopefulstill, yes, please post all of your questions by posting here on your introduction page and one of the moderators will get back to you.  Please also feel free to connect with other members of the Surviving Antidepressants community by posting in their introduction pages, they are a supportive group, know what you are going through and are here to help.

As ChessieCat mentioned above, please have a look through the links provided so that you have a good understanding of the recommendations made here so that you can successfully taper off of Paxil while lessening your withdrawal symptoms.

Before you begin tapering what you need to know

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Dr Joseph Glenmullen's Withdrawal Symptoms

Tips for tapering off Paxil (paroxetine)

Current Prescription Drugs for Hypothyroidism:  Synthroid 100mcg / Cytomel 5mcg (15 years Pristiq/Effexor)

Tapering Schedule
September 15, 2016 - switched from Pristiq 50mg to Effexor XR 75mg; November 10, 2016 - reduced to 67.5 Effexor XR
December 9, 2016 - reduced 60.75
January 5, 2017 - reduced 54.67
January 30, 2017 - reduced to 49.0
February 20, 2017 - reduced to 44.0 
May 20, 2017 - reduced to 40.25 (holding for additional month due to late onset of withdrawal symptoms after this taper)
July 17, 2017 - reduced to 38.24
August 15, 2017 - reduced to 37.5 (50% of my original dose)

October 15, 2017 - reduced to 35.6

November 12, 2017 - reduced to 33.8
December 15, 2017 - up-dose to 35.6
December 28, 2017 - up-dose to 37.5

I understand after reading that there are withdrawal effects (brain zaps, dizziness, etc) when stopping anti-depressants.  But, is one of the effects depression? 

If so, how do you know if its a withdrawal effect or because you really needed the med?

Okay thanks Baroquep!

10/17/2017

I guess I will put in a journal note here.  I hope this is correct that I went to introductions and created a new topic, then I guess I just keep responding to this.

Well, so far so good - hee-hee its been a whole 2 days!  It was hard to do the 10 percent when getting fractions so I take 10 percent and if there is a decimal I go to the lesser whole number.  Lately I have been very obsessive going over and over things too much.  But, this is not a withdrawal effect because I have been that way for some time.  Whenever I get stressed, I do that.  Today I will get dressed and go to the aquatic center for some water exercise.  I have bursitis in my hip and been coping with that for the whole summertime.  Not being able to walk hardly.  Now it is better so this is my physical therapy hopefully to get it healed.  This is good also for my moods and the reduction in medication process. 

Hi Hopeful. Happy to see a fellow north carolinian here! I'm in Raleigh myself. One of the moderators will likely move this topic to the symptoms/self care forum and they will likely merge your other journal entry post into your original topic. They like every member to have one topic on this forum so that things are easy to find and to keep it nice an organized. To answer your question, yes depression is absolutely a side effect of withdrawal. As many other members here will tell you, there is even evidence to suggest that ADs can worsen depression in the long run (absolutely what happened in my case). If the depression you are experiencing is worse than your original problem, chances are its from the withdrawal. When people are withdrawing from these meds they still have to contend with their original symptoms/diagnosis. Many people who went on these meds for issues other than depression suddenly develop depression when attempting to stop these meds. This is how people end up on the "merry go round" of meds, doctors try to prescribe drugs to cover up withdrawal issues. Regardless of the cause of your depression, its important to develop non drug coping techniques to handle it. It's very difficult, but it can be done. I'll link the topic about this below. 

I wish you the best of luck in your journey to become med free, and feel free to message me or write in my topic if you need any support :) This site is a great place for people like us who are struggling while on meds and while attempting to come off of them.

Drug History:  Zoloft(sertraline) since 2008. Was up to 100mg/daily before CT in May 2017. Reinstated 3 weeks later at 50mg.

September 10, 2017 Updose Zoloft to 62.5mg

Current dose as of 5/11/2018  50mg Zoloft and 0mg Remeron

Remeron(mirtazapine) started June 2017. Accidental CT after 1 month. Reinstated 7.5mg on 9/26/17 after hospital stay.

Current Symptoms: Depression, Anxiety, DP/DR, Anhedonia, SI, Tinnitus, Fatigue

• Moderator Emeritus
12 hours ago, Hopefulstill said:

I guess I will put in a journal note here.  I hope this is correct that I went to introductions and created a new topic, then I guess I just keep responding to this.

Hi Hopefulstill,

I've merged your 2 new topics with your Intro topic.  Each member has only 1 Intro topic where they can ask questions about their own situation and journal their progress.  This way your history is kept in one place which is helpful for both you and other members/guests.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• Moderator Emeritus
13 hours ago, Hopefulstill said:

If so, how do you know if its a withdrawal effect or because you really needed the med?

withdrawal-or-relapse-or-something-else

I'm sorry.  My concentration is way off. 

So I just hit reply to this my introduction page and put my question or comment here? Someone may reply to me here.  

October 18, 2017 -  Day 5 - Paxil - 46 mg. No problems,  just nervous about how things will go.

Thank you all that have replied to my questions.  Sure helps me.

October 20, 2017 - 46 mg. Paxil (liquid form) -

Feeling a bit depressed and actually like I could cry easily.  Its been 7 days so could be a w/d effect.  I usually cant cry,  though I want to in order to feel better.  Feel more closer to tears today.

• Moderator Emeritus
7 minutes ago, Hopefulstill said:

Feeling a bit depressed and actually like I could cry easily.  Its been 7 days so could be a w/d effect.

It is good to remember this.  Some people find that their withdrawal symptom/s show up immediately and some find that it can be 10 or more days later.

Understanding that it is withdrawal means that you know what it is and are less likely to panic.  It's important to learn Non-drug techniques to cope to get through the tough spots.

If you start feeling scared about making your next reduction you could always make a smaller reduction instead of 10%.

Thank you Chessiecat!!  That is good advice.  Sometimes we cant think clearly during this time and need logical advice to help us along!   

Its only natural to think well yes on the physical effects to happen -  makes sense from a decreasing of a med you were on for so long.  Its the mental stuff, like depression or anxiety which is the one thing you were taking the a/d and benzos etc for.  You think, oh okay so I really did need this afterall -  better get back on it.  I remember when I stopped 20 mg. (too fast, but by advice of pdoc) I crashed into the worst depression I ever had.  Well, I didn't realize it was withdrawal or that it was too fast.  So with advice of pdoc off we went on the journey to find something that would get me out of this horrible hole.  And here I am years later on Paxil again but 30 mg. higher than I was to begin with.

I am concerned that since I am such a long-term user, it wont work for me.  But sure do want my brain to be healthy and natural again.

Don't think I could do this without people like you who are willing to take their time to be there with support and knowledge.  

Thank you guys - you are saints!! 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Hopeful, it's very difficult to distinguish between a withdrawal symptom and just a side-effect from the drug itself, especially when there are so many side-effects associated with these drugs.  Withdrawal depression is different than "depression" in the clinical sense and it does tend to resolve over time and a lot quicker than "real" depression.  I remember when I could first start crying once I started getting lower on my dose, it was such a relief to actually be feeling emotion for the first time in what seemed like years.  When I cry now, I see it as a true blessing that we actually do have the ability to regain our emotions after them being blunted for so many years.  

I'm attaching a couple of links below so that you might find helpful.

Withdrawal or Relapse or Something Else?
How do I know it's withdrawal and not relapse?

Current Prescription Drugs for Hypothyroidism:  Synthroid 100mcg / Cytomel 5mcg (15 years Pristiq/Effexor)

Tapering Schedule
September 15, 2016 - switched from Pristiq 50mg to Effexor XR 75mg; November 10, 2016 - reduced to 67.5 Effexor XR
December 9, 2016 - reduced 60.75
January 5, 2017 - reduced 54.67
January 30, 2017 - reduced to 49.0
February 20, 2017 - reduced to 44.0 
May 20, 2017 - reduced to 40.25 (holding for additional month due to late onset of withdrawal symptoms after this taper)
July 17, 2017 - reduced to 38.24
August 15, 2017 - reduced to 37.5 (50% of my original dose)

October 15, 2017 - reduced to 35.6

November 12, 2017 - reduced to 33.8
December 15, 2017 - up-dose to 35.6
December 28, 2017 - up-dose to 37.5

October 21, 2017 Thank you Baroquep - Yeah it doesn't bother me really.  It feels okay like I am feeling things more.  It does seem easier to tear up tho I haven't much I can tell its there..  Only been a week since reducing by 4 mg. so maybe I am imagining things.  Still okay with me.  Going out with the girls today looking forward to that.

On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 2:09 PM, Hopefulstill said:
23 hours ago, Hopefulstill said:

October 21, 2017 Thank you Baroquep - Yeah it doesn't bother me really.  It feels okay like I am feeling things more.  It does seem easier to tear up tho I haven't much I can tell its there..  Only been a week since reducing by 4 mg. so maybe I am imagining things.  Still okay with me.  Going out with the girls today looking forward to that.

Hi I am Hopefulstill and new.

I started at 20 mg. Paxil......    

Now years later on 50 mg.

but seems to have pooped out. 

I am going to try tapering off.  Started with 46 mg. yesterday

Here goes!  Glad I found this site

Other meds I take besides Paxil:

Levothyroxin - 137 mg, for thyroid

Profanone - 150 mgHeart rythmn

Metoprolol - 25 mg Heart rythmn/blood pressure

Valsartin - 80 mg Blood Pressure

Altostatin - 10 mg Cholestrol

Is it possible to edit my first post to make the med list look more clear.  Just wondering.  Not important I guess.

• Moderator Emeritus

We look at the drug signature so your first post doesn't matter. However, please keep your signature updated so it remains current and we can see your drug changes at a glance.

I guess what I am asking is I forgot to put in other meds besides the Paxil. I don't know how to update the signature to show that.

23 hours ago, Hopefulstill said:

Other meds I take besides Paxil:

Levothyroxin - 137 mg, for thyroid

Profanone - 150 mgHeart rythmn

Metoprolol - 25 mg Heart rythmn/blood pressure

Valsartin - 80 mg Blood Pressure

Altostatin - 10 mg Cholestrol

October 24, 2017 - 11 days now on 46 mg. (down from 50 mg)

Saw regular doctor today for thyroid check.  Told him I was withdrawing from Paxil.  He said your brain does not stop making Serotonin.  I had told him I didn't think it was working anymore. Paxil keeps the serotonin in the synapse longer instead of reuptaking it which is how it makes you feel better.  So maybe it doesn't block the reuptake any longer?  I dont know.  He suggested to talk to psychiatrist to let him know and he might want to do cross-tapering where he adds something while taking away some Paxil.  He did agree that you don't always need the a/d for life and said after 6-9 mos doctors should start withdrawing to see how you do.  Mentioned how Paxil does not stay long in body so the cross-tapering might help.  I guess I will see how things go.  I had a very bad headache today.  Thought it was seasonal allergy.  Might be,  but pollen count is low.  It got better with 2 Extra strength Tylenol (650mg) and lying down for an hour.  It went away.  

• Moderator Emeritus

This link takes you directly to your signature.  Remember to hit Save when you have finished:   Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature. 

Because you are taking multiple prescription drugs, please put them in the Drug Interactions Checker and copy and paste the results here in your topic.

Changing drugs is generally not a good idea.  You can end up experiencing withdrawal from Drug A, and start up and/or side effects and possibly even a bad reaction to Drug B.  If things worsen you will not know what is causing it.

If he is considering a Prozac Switch or Bridge we have a topic on that:  survivingantidepressants.org/topic/1463-the-prozac-switch-or-bridging-with-prozac

Thank you ChessieCat for your reply.

Have had a few pressure type headaches since last post, but decided they are seasonal sinus allergies.  Just like other sinus headaches I have had before.  Others have been going through this as well with Fall now beginning.  Glad its not from Paxil decrease.

Still on 46 mg - no problems, no side effects.

November 3, 2017 - Still taking 46 mg Liquid Paxil - (down in the dumps, could probably cry easily but haven't). 

• ChessieCat changed the title to Hopefulstill: 20+ years on Paxil
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey Hopefilstill,

Ive read through your thread and have alot of similarities to you. I too have been on paxil a long time and am struggling coming off it. I am now at  36mg but have found it difficult.

I'm happy to join you on your journey and offer you support when you needed it, it sure is going to be a long road ahead of us, but will make it to the end.

1995 started Paxil 20mg slowly increasing to 50mg until 2014

-2014 I decided to tapper myself not knowing how too and crashed , DR added 50mg Seraquel

-2015 tried tapering again and crashed

Started Tapering Both drugs at the same time 6% per month doing daily micro-taper 

Guided by Mark Horowitz

24/09/23  14.47mg Seroquel.  16.19mg Paxil 

27/11/23.  12.13mg. Seroquel.   13.85mg Paxil

Hi Cheeky,

Yeah, I see we are very much alike with the Paxil.  So you are at 36 mg?   How is it going? 

Hey hopefulstill,

II'm about a 5 out of 10 at the moment, I'm just trying to stabilize and won't do another drop till the new year. its going to be hard coming off this poison, but i want to be the person i used to be. We can all do this together, at least we understand each other, that helps.

-2014 I decided to tapper myself not knowing how too and crashed , DR added 50mg Seraquel

Started Tapering Both drugs at the same time 6% per month doing daily micro-taper 

Guided by Mark Horowitz

Yeah the first time I tried to stop Paxil, they took me off too fast and for the next few months I was in the worst depression ever.  Worse than when I first started it.    Paxil at 20 didn't work anymore, even 30 did not work.  After many different a/d tries, Wellbutrin did the trick with Xanax.  Then finally off Wellbutrin and Xanax, back on Paxil but had to up it to 40, then 50.  Its odd that when you get off even for a short time, it doesn't work anymore, you always have to go to something else.

I am still down to 45 mg. from 50 mg. beginning October 14, 2017.  I am depressed but able to fake it.  I am able to tear up too, which before I didn't.   

Sometimes I wonder what I am doing.  At my age, 68 is this very smart to do? 

So you went from 43 mg to 36 mg since January 2017?  7 mg decrease in 10 months?

Hi hopeful,

to answere your question, no I went from 40mg to 36mg of paxil and 50mg of Seraquel to 36.5 mg in the last 7 months. I was put on Seraquel 3 years ago after I crashed going basically cold turkey under a doctors advice because I no longer felt I need it. Big mistake that was, I ended up in hospital being told all these symptoms were my current problems, the funny thing is I never had aniexty in my life or server depression, this was a complete meltdown. 20

years on paxil then being withdrawn from that in s week. What were they thinking, makes me so angry.They then tried me on cymbalta on the highest dose for 6 weeks then when that didn’t  work they toke me off that CT then added Zoloft higedt dose for another six weeks, again nothing worked. I then found this website while I was in hospital and asked to be put back on paxil and they added the seraquel.

That is my story, sad but true and I’m good to taper to get off this stuff.  I’m 41 and I don’t  want to die on anything. 

This tapering is so difficult and sometimes i doubt ever being able to get off.

How are you going with all of this ?

Guided by Mark Horowitz

Okay, I see.  You are wise going slowly.    How are you doing since tapering?    

I can’t seem to do more then 2%, I’m nervous system is so sensitive. I nne to function as I have two children and need to be able to work, but I have been struggling. It comes in windows and waves pattern. How are you been going with your tapering ?

Guided by Mark Horowitz

I can imagine it being tough with 2 children and working.  I think I am like you with a sensitive nervous system.  I went down 5 mg (10%) of 50 since Oct. 14 2017 so a little over a month.  I was thinking am I doing wrong tapering off? Because being 68 do I want to go through depression and withdrawal symptoms for how long?  I may not have that many years left as it is.  So it seems dumb, kind of.  Then I remind myself I was depressed on the 50 anyway.  Able to function but getting no joy out of things and with a sadness lingering always.  So in that case, maybe I will be lucky and more ups in my emotions will come back.  Don't know though.  So far, I notice more depression and easier ability to cry.  What is Seroquel for?  Was it hard tapering off down from it?  I am hear to listen and talk anytime.  Maybe we can support each other in this.  You are doing very well so far it seems.

Hey hopefulstill,

seraquel is a antysicotic that was given to me a a sleeping aid, I wish I never toke that also. Tapering from that is the same just as bad, they are all as bad as each other . 

Support is what we need to

get through this , it’s going to be a hard ride.

Are you married  ?

Guided by Mark Horowitz