Hopefulstill: 20+ years on Paxil

Hopefulstill

Hi Jackie!!  Good for you deciding!!  So you came off all drugs?  Wow.  How long have you been off and what method did you choose?  I am still on 37 mg. Paxil.  I noticed I am getting very irritable and angry all the time at things.  My husband can be very difficult due to his temper and way he talks to me so it has always been a challenge.  Now, though, I don't want to hear any of it.  And, I make no bones about it.  Of course, this just escalates everything.  He is also very sweet, loyal and good.  It is his awful childhood that made him this way.   I tend to be more sensitive than most (due to my past) so we are a twosome.  I can't seem to help getting mad.  And cynical.  Ugh.  Hopefully it will ease up.  I am holding at 37 mg for now since I feel this way.  When it goes away, hopefully, I will again try reducing some.  Nice to talk to an older person!!  Good Luck to you!!  Hope to hear from you again!! 

1995 - 2003 - Lithium -(300 mg 2xday), Paxil - (20mg),  2003 - Stopped Lithium, Paxil eventually increased up to 50 mg  

beginning Paxil reduction:

October 14, 2017 46 mg., Jan 2018  42 mg., April  40 mg,  Feb 8, 2019  37 mg,  Feb. 23,  35 mg.(approx),  March 22,  40 Holding

Levothyroxin - 112/125 mcg, Profanone - 150 mg, Metoprolol - 25 mg Telmisartan - 40 mg, Altostatin - 10 mg , Calcium, Vitamin, Magnesium, Fish Oil

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hopefulstill

• Cheeky

• ChessieCat

• dreamspirit

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, Hopefulstill said:

Hi Jackie!!  Good for you deciding!!  So you came off all drugs?  Wow.  How long have you been off and what method did you choose? 

there was only a brief time I was on a bunch of meds (luckily!) so I was able to just stop all but lexapro after however many weeks it was (4? 8?). I had been diagnosed as Bipolar II and they sure believe you need more and more pills for that! - turns out, when I got off the others and cut back on lexapro, the hypomania went away. (but it took me a years to be sure about that.) now I know the SSRIs (I started on paxil) made me worse and going down made me better but at the time it was kind of a blur.

I tapered the lexapro very slowly with no help or plan, just cut back a bit and waited. it took me years and years. last May I thought it would be easy to stop completely since I was only on 5 mg every other day (and had been a long time - a year? two?) but then I went into withdrawal.  it was pretty mild compared to what others here describe but it was bad enough I could not function well for a couple months and things have gradually gotten better.

I noticed I am getting very irritable and angry all the time at things.

the whole time I was going down in dose and now that I am off, the symptom that has been worst has been anxiety and often what it looks like is irritability/anger. but I live alone so I can avoid people except when at work. 

and now, I am TIRED of living alone. today I go to meet with a woman who advertised "roommate wanted" and it probably won't work (too many pets, and my little dog is very timid) but at least I am trying. 

My husband can be very difficult due to his temper and way he talks to me so it has always been a challenge.  Now, though, I don't want to hear any of it.  And, I make no bones about it. 

although it's more intense since you are married, this is what happened between my landlady and me. we have had a major problem for years that I just didn't care about until I stopped the drug. then, I got angry over it in what I still think is a perfectly appropriate way but she now calls "you went crazy on me" - I guess since I made the mistake of talking about the med with her. but she was wrong and I am allowed to get angry!

anyway, have you and your husband considered counselling?  it must be very challenging to go through this while you are also living with someone. 

anyway, since I spent decades on first Paxil and then Lexapro I figured we had that in common. I wish you all the best!! 😍

Currently taking Ramapril (blood pressure) 5 mg twice a day

Omeprazole 10 mg AM and 20 mg PM  (the taper has gone nowhere after the first cut)

Famotidine   once a day (and I still needs tums sometimes)

magnesium 200 mg at night

as of yesterday 2 fish oil capsules "EPA-DHA 1000"

off Lexapro as of 5/2018  - last dose had been 5 mg every other day for a couple years

highest dose had been 20 mg at which point I was diagnosed with Bipolar II, which went away when I cut the lexapro down to 15 mg. 

I spent years on Paxil before Lexapro (can't remember dose), briefly on Effexor and Abilify and others I have forgotten. in fact, when I was diagnoses with BPII I was put on all kinds of things which made me feel so bad I stopped them cold turkey within maybe 3 or 4 weeks, thank goodness. since then I've known these pills were terrible and I weaned down the Lexapro with zero help or support over I'm not sure how many years. 

He went one time when I was also going separately.  The doc said (in this one visit) he doubts there is one minute he goes without being stressed.  So that is the problem basically.  One time he took Paxil for a week or so and he was much calmer and easier to get along with, but it made him tired and he quit.  He won't take any medication of any kind. It is up to me to have peace when he gets upset.  He's great when he is not upset.  I did well when I took Lithium (haha) because things didn't bother me much.  But lately, I am stressed and anxious too so it is not helpful. 

I think that is brave of you to look into a roommate.   If you can have space and separation to live your way that would be good.  I wish you all the best too!

1995 - 2003 - Lithium -(300 mg 2xday), Paxil - (20mg),  2003 - Stopped Lithium, Paxil eventually increased up to 50 mg  

October 14, 2017 46 mg., Jan 2018  42 mg., April  40 mg,  Feb 8, 2019  37 mg,  Feb. 23,  35 mg.(approx),  March 22,  40 Holding

Levothyroxin - 112/125 mcg, Profanone - 150 mg, Metoprolol - 25 mg Telmisartan - 40 mg, Altostatin - 10 mg , Calcium, Vitamin, Magnesium, Fish Oil

Just checking in.  Well, soon I will see how my thyroid levels are.  Will let you know.  For now, no changes in the med.  Still on 37-38.  But that is an improvement from 50 in October 17.  I am going very slowly.  I figure I will not reduce until I feel very stable.  Then, probably less than 10 percent.  I am in no hurry.  If it turns out, my life ends before I get to zero, so be it.  At least I have less drug in my system and can let my brain adjust gradually.  

Hope everyone is doing well and hanging in there.  So glad we have this site.  It would be hard if you had no one who is going through the same thing and you were on your own.  HUGS!!!

Today is January 17, 2019 (my birthday, actually).  I turned 70.  I have been dreading it for sometime, just the sound of the number.  But I awoke this morning feeling very fine and happy!  All I wanted was a sunny day and now I have it.  Lucky me.  Then, out of the blue, I feel like crying.  The tears are close.  But, I dont feel any different than I did this morning.  I am not sad.  Maybe I am melancholy?  Or, it is a wave coming on.  I also realized that it has been 2 years and 3 months when I first started to decrease the Paxil.  I was thinking it was 1 year.  Thats good because for me, 1 year is quite fast to go down by 13 mgs.  

Good Luck to all and I hope you enjoy your day today!!

• Moderator Emeritus

🍰  🥂  🎈 🎉 ☺️

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Happy Birthday HF,

I hope you have a wonderful day xx

• 1995 started Paxil 20mg slowly increasing to 50mg 2014 I decided to tapper myself not knowing how too and crashed , DR added 50mg of Seroquel

• Through the years made many mistakes tapering

• Started Tapering Both drugs at the same time 7.5% per month Paxil 9% Seroquel doing daily micro-taper 

• Guided by Mark Horowitz

• 31/3/24 Paxil 10.31mg

• 31/3/24 Seroquel 9.9mg

@Hopefulstill  Happy Birthday!! 

Currently taking Ramapril (blood pressure) 5 mg twice a day

Omeprazole 10 mg AM and 20 mg PM  (the taper has gone nowhere after the first cut)

Famotidine   once a day (and I still needs tums sometimes)

magnesium 200 mg at night

as of yesterday 2 fish oil capsules "EPA-DHA 1000"

off Lexapro as of 5/2018  - last dose had been 5 mg every other day for a couple years

highest dose had been 20 mg at which point I was diagnosed with Bipolar II, which went away when I cut the lexapro down to 15 mg. 

I spent years on Paxil before Lexapro (can't remember dose), briefly on Effexor and Abilify and others I have forgotten. in fact, when I was diagnoses with BPII I was put on all kinds of things which made me feel so bad I stopped them cold turkey within maybe 3 or 4 weeks, thank goodness. since then I've known these pills were terrible and I weaned down the Lexapro with zero help or support over I'm not sure how many years. 

Happy Birthday!

Hydrochlorothiazide 25 mg, Multi vit., Calcium, D3,  Magnesium, Fish Oil, Melatonin,  Ambien 3.3 mg 1 or 2X/mo.  Benadryl-seldom, .......2002 - eliminated alcohol

2002- Paxil - 20 mg (3 WD attempts: 2005, 2008, 2010)

2011 - 30 mg 

2018 - 40 mg- Sept to Nov} {Dec - 37.5}

Jan 2, 2019 - 35 mg

Jan 11 -  33.75 mg

Jan 28 - 32.5 mg

Feb 4 -  33.75 mg 

Mar 4 - 32 mg

Mar 30 - 30 mg

Thank you for the kind birthday wishes!! 

Well, this is an example of my befuddled mind of late - No,  it has been 1 year and 3 months since reducing my Paxil.  Lord have mercy, my thinking is not real great these days.  I saw the Oct. 2017 and thought two years.  But no, just 1 yr and 3 mos.  More teary feelings coming forth but have not cried.  I am close though.  And, I am not sad.  I do get teed off easier than ever though and hurt feelings.  I guess my emotions are all flooding back to me.  

Thats all for today!

• 1 month later...

On February 23, 2019 I decided to go down by 2 mg., so I am now at 35 mg. Paxil.  

The biggest things I notice are being more sensitive and having more anxiety.

I could cry pretty easily if I let myself.   I am doing better with my irritability - thinking before speaking.

I am a codependent person with some controlling issues.  My mother was an alcoholic so I was always trying to fix things.   My husband is very controlling so we can really push each other's buttons.  So, I am teaching myself to let go, do less and let people do what they want even if I think it's not a good idea, Lol!!.   It makes life much easier on everyone, but ironically it is very hard to do at the same time because it is my natural way. 

So, all in all I am doing pretty good.

• 2 weeks later...

March 19, 2019

I am still at 35 mg Paxil.  Having a lot of anxiety, fear.  Have little confidence, thinking too much and all negative, feeling inadequate.  Can't find the proper words, spacy, unable to concentrate well, feeling stupid essentially.  Keep doing things wrong, forgetting things, absent-minded.  Ugh! Also depression like I have no life and just pushing myself to do things when I have no interest.  That about sums it up.

Here is a summary of my reductions:

for years:  Oct 13, 2017 - 50 mg

starting reduction:

Oct 14, 2017 - 46 mg   -  Jan 7, 2018 - 40 mg  -  April 21, 2018 - 38 mg  -  Feb 23, 2019 - 35 mg

Hi hopefulstill, I’ve been on Paxil over 20 years too. Was on 40mg now on 37mg. Only tapered 3mg in almost 3 years time. Still have waves and windows. My last taper was almost 2 years ago. 

So I know exactly how you feel. If I were you I would hold for awhile... no need to hurry.. 

I have had all the same symptoms as you. Crazy how you can have waves after two years of not tapering. It definitely can catch up to you. Ugh! 

I cant taper very fast at all. Just do what you can do. It passes but those waves just come and go and it gets old real fast.. 

Been on Paxil since 96”-97”, 40mg tried 3 times to get off and didn’t work, started a very slow taper Jan 2016, have only dropped down by 3 mg.. on 37mg currently.. have very delayed withdrawals. Last drop was in July 2017.. still have waves and windows. 

Magnesium 200mg, foilc acid 1 mg, vitamin d3 5000iu, Blood pressure meds-Verapamil & Irbesartan... Smoke cbd flower once in awhile. 

5 hours ago, Hopefulstill said:

Here is a summary of my reductions:

for years:  Oct 13, 2017 - 50 mg

starting reduction:

Oct 14, 2017 - 46 mg   -  Jan 7, 2018 - 40 mg  -  April 21, 2018 - 38 mg  -  Feb 23, 2019 - 35 mg

Hey Hopefull,

sometimes you need to stop tapering for awhile to let things settle down. It took me nearly one and a half years to go to

40mg to 30mg and if suffered for 6 weeks after every drop. I think us long timers need to be very careful on how we taper.

Give the tapering at least 4 months before dropping again and do small drops. 

I only k ow this because I stuffed up so many times and had to start again.

huggs to you 

• 1995 started Paxil 20mg slowly increasing to 50mg 2014 I decided to tapper myself not knowing how too and crashed , DR added 50mg of Seroquel

• Started Tapering Both drugs at the same time 7.5% per month Paxil 9% Seroquel doing daily micro-taper 

• 31/3/24 Paxil 10.31mg

• 31/3/24 Seroquel 9.9mg

13 hours ago, dreamspirit said:

Hi hopefulstill, I’ve been on Paxil over 20 years too. Was on 40mg now on 37mg. Only tapered 3mg in almost 3 years time. Still have waves and windows. My last taper was almost 2 years ago. 

So I know exactly how you feel. If I were you I would hold for awhile... no need to hurry.. 

I have had all the same symptoms as you. Crazy how you can have waves after two years of not tapering. It definitely can catch up to you. Ugh! 

I cant taper very fast at all. Just do what you can do. It passes but those waves just come and go and it gets old real fast.. 

Hi Dreamspirit,

Thank you so much for your reply. Yes, we are in the same boat it seems!    It helps to know you had the same symptoms.  What is the duration of a wave or a window for you?   Like do you go a month with no waves and then try to taper?  

8 hours ago, Cheeky said:

Hey Hopefull,

sometimes you need to stop tapering for awhile to let things settle down. It took me nearly one and a half years to go to

40mg to 30mg and if suffered for 6 weeks after every drop. I think us long timers need to be very careful on how we taper.

huggs to you 

Hey Cheeky,

Thanks for the reply.  Maybe I should stay here for a year?  If I still have the waves then, does that mean don't taper?

2 hours ago, Hopefulstill said:

Hi Dreamspirit,

Thank you so much for your reply. Yes, we are in the same boat it seems!    It helps to know you had the same symptoms.  What is the duration of a wave or a window for you?   Like do you go a month with no waves and then try to taper?  

No, I wait longer than a month. I haven’t tapered in 2 years and I’m still getting waves. Although they are getting better. Not as much blurry vision and etc.... 

I just wait till I feel that I’m ready again. I’ll be dropping another 1mg soon. I think people still taper when they get waves because you can get waves off and on for years. Some people do that is.... apparently I’m one of them. 

The brain can heal but it takes a long time... I’m going slower than a snails pace... I’m just listening to my body. I’ve set goals for myself.. my first goal is to get down to 30mg... I’m not sure I’ll be able to get fully off of Paxil but as long as I live I’ll just keep tapering the best I can.

maybe set a small goal and just work on that first.. and then go from there 🙂... 

Been on Paxil since 96”-97”, 40mg tried 3 times to get off and didn’t work, started a very slow taper Jan 2016, have only dropped down by 3 mg.. on 37mg currently.. have very delayed withdrawals. Last drop was in July 2017.. still have waves and windows. 

Magnesium 200mg, foilc acid 1 mg, vitamin d3 5000iu, Blood pressure meds-Verapamil & Irbesartan... Smoke cbd flower once in awhile. 

7 hours ago, dreamspirit said:

No, I wait longer than a month. I haven’t tapered in 2 years and I’m still getting waves. Although they are getting better. Not as much blurry vision and etc.... 

I just wait till I feel that I’m ready again. I’ll be dropping another 1mg soon. I think people still taper when they get waves because you can get waves off and on for years. Some people do that is.... apparently I’m one of them. 

The brain can heal but it takes a long time... I’m going slower than a snails pace... I’m just listening to my body. I’ve set goals for myself.. my first goal is to get down to 30mg... I’m not sure I’ll be able to get fully off of Paxil but as long as I live I’ll just keep tapering the best I can.

maybe set a small goal and just work on that first.. and then go from there 🙂... 

Thanks so much for your suggestion.  I will do that, wait till I feel stable before reducing anymore.  Best to you!!

18 hours ago, Cheeky said:

Hey Hopefull,

huggs to you 

Thank you Cheeky for your reply.  I will make sure to give plenty of time.  Being that my thyroid meds have had to be adjusted not long ago, it also makes it more touchy.  Hope you are doing well yourself!!

11 minutes ago, Hopefulstill said:

Thank you Cheeky for your reply.  I will make sure to give plenty of time.  Being that my thyroid meds have had to be adjusted not long ago, it also makes it more touchy.  Hope you are doing well yourself!!

I’m doing okay, it’s a bit harder for me as I have to come off two drugs, one was added 4 years ago with I came of Paxil too quick and I was desperate for relief,  that’s why I say go slowly.

• 31/3/24 Paxil 10.31mg

• 31/3/24 Seroquel 9.9mg

Okay I am really feeling unstable.  I made an appt. for a thyroid check.  I took a little more than 35 mg today.  I took 20 ml (40 mg) but left a little trace of liquid in the measure cup.  I dont know how to measure that exactly except to say it is slightly less than 40.  This measuring is not very accurate.  The increments are by 5 ml (10 mg) so when I try to measure half its not too bad but when I try to measure half of the half it gets harder,  and less than that its a guess.  Leaving a thin trace on bottom is even harder so I am never really sure of the exact number.  Today I left a trace after taking the 20 ml (40 mg.)  but it didn't quite reach a whole layer substance across the surface so I don't know what that total is really 1 whole ml (2 mg)? or 1/2 ml (1 mg).  I am thinking I better go to the 20 ml mark (40 mg) from now on, since I don't know what I am getting.  It is still 10 mg. reduction altogether from 50 mg. on October 14, 2017 (17 months)

Well I couldn't just go to the lab for a thyroid check, I have to see the doctor so I have an appt. for tomorrow morning.  These symptoms could be from a change in my thyroid level.  If it is still normal, I guess I can assume it is the reduction in Paxil causing this.   

On 3/20/2019 at 7:55 PM, Cheeky said:

I’m doing okay, it’s a bit harder for me as I have to come off two drugs, one was added 4 years ago with I came of Paxil too quick and I was desperate for relief,  that’s why I say go slowly.

Cheeky,

Wow, looking at your chart, you generally decrease by only .5 mg to 1 mg.   In my liquid form, that would be .25 ml. to .50 ml.   How in the world do you measure that?

5 minutes ago, Hopefulstill said:

Cheeky,

Wow, looking at your chart, you generally decrease by only .5 mg to 1 mg.   In my liquid form, that would be .25 ml. to .50 ml.   How in the world do you measure that?

What I do is dilute the tablet in water, like 1ml to 1mg of tablet. It makes it easier then

• 31/3/24 Paxil 10.31mg

• 31/3/24 Seroquel 9.9mg

I went to the doctor and got a thyroid blood test.  I found out today that it is normal.

So, this anxiety is from the withdrawing from Paxil evidently.  He advised me to at least increase it back to 40 and maybe even the original 50 mg.    

His feeling is:  sometimes you become depressed (situational) and an a/d can help, but after 6 mos or so they should try to wean you off to see how you do.  If you are fine, good.   But, some people need to take it long term.  Depression is genetic and some people are more prone to it.

I have gone back to the 40 mg. and will hold and see how I do.

1 hour ago, Hopefulstill said:

I went to the doctor and got a thyroid blood test.  I found out today that it is normal.

So, this anxiety is from the withdrawing from Paxil evidently.  He advised me to at least increase it back to 40 and maybe even the original 50 mg.    

His feeling is:  sometimes you become depressed (situational) and an a/d can help, but after 6 mos or so they should try to wean you off to see how you do.  If you are fine, good.   But, some people need to take it long term.  Depression is genetic and some people are more prone to it.

I have gone back to the 40 mg. and will hold and see how I do.

Hey Hopfull,

i knew it wouldn’t be your thyroid, is so hard to except it’s withdrawals.  Obviously you went back which is one option or the other is to just ride it out. I’m no professional but understand the desperation to feel better . No

judgment in to what you do , I just wish you all the best.

• 31/3/24 Paxil 10.31mg

• 31/3/24 Seroquel 9.9mg

Hey Cheeky,

Yeah i know what you're saying.  Its so hard to know what to do.  Are there ever times when depression needs to be treated long term, do you think?

6 hours ago, Hopefulstill said:

Hey Cheeky,

Yeah i know what you're saying.  Its so hard to know what to do.  Are there ever times when depression needs to be treated long term, do you think?

I think the only treatment we need is looking within us and trying to understand what makes us feel certain ways. Sad, happy, scared, aniexty, fear and laughter I believe are all natural responses to being a human being. This is only my point of view though. 

• 31/3/24 Paxil 10.31mg

• 31/3/24 Seroquel 9.9mg