RealMe

☼ RealMe: fighting depression/withdrawal from Abilify, Trintellix now on Prozac

RealMe
Just now, Kristine said:

Haven't quite got that far yet but will.  I haven't been able to pick up the new script...feeling not so good.  But I'll let you know when I do.  Prob Monday or Tuesday xo

Ok.  The doctor just called me tonight with the instructions.  I haven't picked up the prescription yet, probably tomorrow.

Kristine
Just now, RealMe said:

Ok.  The doctor just called me tonight with the instructions.  I haven't picked up the prescription yet, probably tomorrow.

On my thread ChessieCat explains the crossover process from tablet to liquid.  K xo

Littlegrandma
38 minutes ago, Downbutnotout said:

I  thought the Mayo Clinic was a premier place. So none of them know what they’re doing? I’m wondering if I should cancel my tms try out on Tuesday. I’ m afraid it’s going to shake up my brain too much. I want to sue them all or get a cat scan before they shake up my brain. It just feels unsteady. 

Mayo Clinic medical dept is the best. I don’t have any more faith in their psych dept than I do any other pdoc. They all live by the pamphlets of the drug companies. 

Wow D. Don’t know what to say about the tms. That’s such a personal decision. If it worries you, think long and hard about it. I don’t know much about it. Have you tried anything holistic? Accupuncture? Reiki? Reflexology?

i had a reiki treatment yesterday. It was great. I think it would be better for someone like you that doesn’t have many physical symptoms. My reiki would be perfect for you. She is so positive and smart. No one could possibly be depressed if you spent time with her on a regular basis. 

Downbutnotout

I had a friend do reiki on me. All I felt was heat for a minute. It didn’t do anything for me! Tms is supposed to relieve depression. My main problem and symptom is depression. I’ve read where it helps the depression but Ramos up the  anxiety. Like I said, it completely failed last time. I really wanted it to work but now I have doubts. 

samanthaelizabeth
8 minutes ago, Littlegrandma said:

Mayo Clinic medical dept is the best. I don’t have any more faith in their psych dept than I do any other pdoc. They all live by the pamphlets of the drug companies. 

Wow D. Don’t know what to say about the tms. That’s such a personal decision. If it worries you, think long and hard about it. I don’t know much about it. Have you tried anything holistic? Accupuncture? Reiki? Reflexology?

i had a reiki treatment yesterday. It was great. I think it would be better for someone like you that doesn’t have many physical symptoms. My reiki would be perfect for you. She is so positive and smart. No one could possibly be depressed if you spent time with her on a regular basis. 

Hi Little grandma- What is a reiki treatment?

Downbutnotout
2 hours ago, RealMe said:

All I wanted to do was slowly titrate down.  For someone who didn't think I should stop taking 10mg, why he decided with the therapist that I should completely withdraw in one month is beyond me.

Tell them what you’re doing and tell them you want to do it your way, not theirs! They are all complete fools. Ive talked to 3 different psychiatrists who thought it was okay to get off 75 mg if ffexir in 2 weeks. Tell them what you’ve been doing and how it’s succeeded. 

RealMe
7 minutes ago, Downbutnotout said:

Tell them what you’re doing and tell them you want to do it your way, not theirs! They are all complete fools. Ive talked to 3 different psychiatrists who thought it was okay to get off 75 mg if ffexir in 2 weeks. Tell them what you’ve been doing and how it’s succeeded. 

I know you're right, DBNO.  Right now I seem to have only enough energy to try to distract myself from my symptoms.  When the doctor was giving me the directions over the phone, I was busy writing down what he was saying.  I hadn't even realized what it all meant until I hung up the phone!  For now, I'm going to stay on my 9 mg. until I hear from the mods.

Downbutnotout
14 minutes ago, RealMe said:

I know you're right, DBNO.  Right now I seem to have only enough energy to try to distract myself from my symptoms.  When the doctor was giving me the directions over the phone, I was busy writing down what he was saying.  I hadn't even realized what it all meant until I hung up the phone!  For now, I'm going to stay on my 9 mg. until I hear from the mods.

I know you’ll do it. Your no wilting lily. Haven’t you successfully tapered down for months. 

Littlegrandma
20 minutes ago, samanthaelizabeth said:

Hi Little grandma- What is a reiki treatment?

Hi Sam 

its alternative treatment that uses healing hands of the reiki therapist.  Hard for me to explain. But it works on chakras. Your energy. It involves sounds and tones. I’m typically a skeptic. But it is so relaxing and I had no anxiety during treatment. She teaches meditation and breathing techniques. I had a girl in training give me a mini treatment a few months ago. She didn’t touch the body at all. Just laid hands above the skin and you could feel the heat. The reiki I saw yesterday put hands on. Mostly neck and head. And she works with crystals. 

She told me my soul was depleted. Well, that is correct. Because I am depressed. She gave me homework to do. Besides journaling, do something that brought me joy as a child. Like coloring, running in a field, laying in the grass. Just examples. 

Sounds like black magic, right? I am going back. This girl is the most positive person I’ve ever been around. Super smart. I wish I could take her home with me. 

Downbutnotout
1 hour ago, Littlegrandma said:

Hi Sam 

its alternative treatment that uses healing hands of the reiki therapist.  Hard for me to explain. But it works on chakras. Your energy. It involves sounds and tones. I’m typically a skeptic. But it is so relaxing and I had no anxiety during treatment. She teaches meditation and breathing techniques. I had a girl in training give me a mini treatment a few months ago. She didn’t touch the body at all. Just laid hands above the skin and you could feel the heat. The reiki I saw yesterday put hands on. Mostly neck and head. And she works with crystals. 

She told me my soul was depleted. Well, that is correct. Because I am depressed. She gave me homework to do. Besides journaling, do something that brought me joy as a child. Like coloring, running in a field, laying in the grass. Just examples. 

Sounds like black magic, right? I am going back. This girl is the most positive person I’ve ever been around. Super smart. I wish I could take her home with me. 

I may ask my friend to do another treatment. She’s a master reiki person, but all I felt was the heat. I think I’ll try a massage. But my sense of touch and pleasure is off. I actually was going to learn how to do it before I lost my cookies. I will know I’m all better when I enjoy my cookies. Tonight was a lot better than last night. Almost felt normal. Good advice about finding something that gave you pleasure when a child. Trying to think of something. Paint by number. Lol roller skating. Interrupting other people’s conversations Ike i’m doing right now. 

RealMe
4 hours ago, RealMe said:

The therapist called my physician, and the physician just called me.  This is what he wants me to do:

Pick up a 20 mg. solution with dispenser.

Week 1:  2.5 ml alternate with 1.25 ml

Week 2:  1.25 ml

Week 3:  1.25 ml every other day

Week 4:  Discontinue & go to dr. office visit

If depression or anxiety surface, call the office.

Moderators, please help me.  I think I'm on my own or I'm s_____d.

RealMe

The therapist called my physician, and the physician just called me.  This is what he wants me to do:

Week 4:  Discontinue & go to dr. office visit

Moderators, please help me.  I think I'm on my own or I'm s_____d.

AliG

Hi RM. I'm sorry that you have been put in this position ~ and been given the runaround by your doctors, whilst trying to taper off sensibly. Needless to say, I would not alternate doses but stick to the gentle 10% tapering method.

Have you got a script for the liquid? Can you get more if you need to, down the track?

You said you have 30 days of Fluoexetine capsules. Perhaps you could change over to making your own liquid out of these, to get a much more accurate dose, than you have been getting previously ( by shaving off) and then slowly ease into the compounded liquid as you start to get low in capsules.

For very gradual tapering, for example, you can dissolve a 10mg capsule in 10mL of water to make a solution with 1mg Prozac in 1mg of water. To take 1mg Prozac, use an oral syringe to take out 1mL.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/759-tips-for-tapering-off-prozac-fluoxetine

There is an instruction video in this link:

How to make a liquid from tablets or capsules

Does that sound like a taper plan that you would be comfortable with, at this point? Either that or you could possibly go straight to the compounded liquid ( if you can get it). You could do a crossover from tablet to liquid ~ taking about 6 days but I'm not sure your measurements are accurate ( with the shaving off 1 mg). What are your thoughts?

Ali

nz11

Realme sounds like you are the winner! You wanted liquid and you got it. Congratulations.

What line did you give the therapist to use on the doctor so you could get liquid. lol . Could be good to know for future cases.

Im sure it is 20mg : 5 ml but if you could confirm that it would be great.

Please follow AliG's advice and dont alternate. 

RM please dont taper like the doctor wants its best to follow the  10% method. Your doctor is putting you in harms way if he wants   you  off in one month.  You may need to put aside in the vicinty of two years to get to 0.5mg.

nz11
4 hours ago, RealMe said:

Well well well the doctor has already put his cards on the table.

Withdrawal is unacknowledged and its going to be blamed on the patient and called ...'relapse'.

That is unfortunate.

Again if i were you i would follow the sa taper method.  

nz11

You know its almost as if the doctor already knows the outcome of his taper approach...severe withdrawal symptoms.

And its as if its nothing new to him. Hes even expecting it.

I reckon this doctor has many patients kept long term on these drugs. And  possibly polydrugged at that. And kept misinformed. 

Sorry to harp on about the doc. RM. 

nz11

ChessieCat
9 hours ago, RealMe said:

SA recommends taking the same dose at about the same time EVERY DAY.

Skipping Days vs Every Day Dosing Graph

Edited by ChessieCat
fixed up link

RealMe
8 hours ago, AliG said:

10mg capsule in 10mL of water to make a solution with 1mg Prozac in 1mg of water. To take 1mg Prozac, use an oral syringe to take out 1mL.

Hi AliG, I am going to stick to the 10% reduction, hold, 10%, hold, etc. plan.  (no every other day)  What you say above reads like Greek to me.  I simply have no head for numbers and mLs and mgs.  I can't figure it out.  

Ok, the capsule has 10 mg.  I open it up and put it into 10mL of water. (have to get something to measure mLs?).  Then I need a syringe of some sort to take out 1mL.  So, if I take 1mL of the liquid, that equals 1 mg?  Thus, to taper by 10%, I would take how many mLs?

My biggest problem now is how to put together my own schedule of 10% reductions with what I have at my disposal:  30 10mg. capsules (I have one renewal, so I actually have 60 capsules) and a 20mg. bottle of liquid.

RealMe
8 hours ago, nz11 said:

Realme sounds like you are the winner! You wanted liquid and you got it. Congratulations.

What line did you give the therapist to use on the doctor so you could get liquid. lol . Could be good to know for future cases.

Im sure it is 20mg : 5 ml but if you could confirm that it would be great.

Please follow AliG's advice and dont alternate. 

RM please dont taper like the doctor wants its best to follow the  10% method. Your doctor is putting you in harms way if he wants   you  off in one month.  You may need to put aside in the vicinty of two years to get to 0.5mg.

I told the therapist that my goal is to slowly taper by 10% and for that I would need therapeutic support and liquid instead of 10 mg. capsules from the doctor.  He said, "What if you become unglued?"  I said, in that case, I would reinstate.  I told him that my goal in therapy was to learn to deal with my depression and anxiety using his therapeutic methods.  He said he would speak to the physician.  Obviously, they spoke; but what they said to each other must have been gobbledegook.

I had no words for the doctor when he called me with his directions.  I couldn't even comprehend what he was saying.  I just wrote down the directions verbatim.  He asked me if I understood, and I said I did.  But I really didn't until I hung up and looked at the schedule.  My biggest problem now is how to put together my own schedule of 10% reductions with what I have at my disposal:  30 10mg. capsules (I have one renewal, so I actually have 60 capsules) and a 20mg. bottle of liquid.

AliG

Today was both good and difficult.  Difficult because tinnitus is ramped up and driving me up a wall.  Can't stand it, no escape.  My physician told me yesterday that I need to exercise even if the tinnitus acts up, so I did today; and I guess that is why it is ramped up.  Don't know.  Difficult because he called me today that my cholesterol is up and I need to take meds which, of course, I hate to even think about.  I have been sedentary and not watching my diet for weeks now.  I didn't load up on carbs at all, but too much fat, I think.  I will see if watching diet and exercise will help.

Good because my new therapist is on board with helping me get the physician to prescribe liquid prozac so I can taper slowly.  He is new to the idea, but he is accepting my goal.

Hi again RM. Regarding the cholesterol : I would advise you to do your homework ( as always) and then come to a decision of your own.

I was given a script for Crestor five years ago ~ ripped it up, as I already knew about Statins and their side effects ~ lose muscle, brain and more...

This is a fairly concise video that really summarizes cholesterol:

I know you have more immediate concerns but this is important for your long term health,  as well. At least watch and do some research, first.

To answer your question above:  10 mg = 10 ml , so for 9 mg = 9ml , you would take out ( subtract) a ml and the rest ( what is left) would be your dose. I would stick to that for a while.

You can get a syringe from the chemist: have a look at the video, I posted above.

How to make a liquid from tablets or capsules

Let me know if you are still unsure.

Edited by AliG
added link

RealMe
14 minutes ago, AliG said:

Today was both good and difficult.  Difficult because tinnitus is ramped up and driving me up a wall.  Can't stand it, no escape.  My physician told me yesterday that I need to exercise even if the tinnitus acts up, so I did today; and I guess that is why it is ramped up.  Don't know.  Difficult because he called me today that my cholesterol is up and I need to take meds which, of course, I hate to even think about.  I have been sedentary and not watching my diet for weeks now.  I didn't load up on carbs at all, but too much fat, I think.  I will see if watching diet and exercise will help.

Good because my new therapist is on board with helping me get the physician to prescribe liquid prozac so I can taper slowly.  He is new to the idea, but he is accepting my goal.

Hi again RM. Regarding the cholesterol : I would advise you to do your homework ( as always) and then come to a decision of your own.

I was given a script for Crestor five years ago ~ ripped it up, as I already knew about Statins and their side effects ~ lose muscle, brain and more...

This is a fairly concise video that really summarizes cholesterol:

I know you have more immediate concerns but this is important for your long term health,  as well. At least watch and do some research, first.

To answer your question above:  10 mg = 10 ml , so for 9 mg = 9ml , you would take out ( subtract) a ml and the rest ( what is left) would be your dose. I would stick to that for a while.

You can get a syringe from the chemist: have a look at the video, I posted above.

Let me know if that's not clear.

Thanks so much for your help, Ali.  I already decided to decline the script for cholesterol on the basis of having tried it in the past with the result of hardly being able to walk due to pain and stiffness.  I actually lowered it through diet and exercise, but I haven't been scrupulous about diet since I started WDs in August, 2017 or about exercise since the tinnitus started in October.  All I can do is gentle walking at this point.  Your video on cholesterol is very informative.  Thank you for that.  Big Pharma is brainwashing everyone.

I truly appreciate your explanation of how to take the prozac in liquid form.  I think I understand and will do my best. 

RealMe
10 hours ago, nz11 said:

You know its almost as if the doctor already knows the outcome of his taper approach...severe withdrawal symptoms.

And its as if its nothing new to him. Hes even expecting it.

I reckon this doctor has many patients kept long term on these drugs. And  possibly polydrugged at that. And kept misinformed. 

Sorry to harp on about the doc. RM. 

nz11

I can't imagine how the conversation between the therapist and the doctor went.  I was clear that I wanted to go slowly to find the lowest effective dose.  At first the doctor said it wasn't a good idea to change the dose.  Then he said maybe we could reduce it to 5mg.  Then after talking to the therapist he has me doing an alternate day taper to nothing in 3 weeks.  Incredible.  I feel so sorry for myself for relying on doctors for so many years.  Better late than never.  I am going to the drug store now to pick up the liquid, but I'm going to make my own liquid from the 10mg. capsules and stay on 9mg. for a while.

RachelSusan
On 12/7/2017 at 8:00 PM, RealMe said:

You know the character Harvey from Suits?  He says, "when your back is against the wall, break down the g-d damn wall!"

Hi RealMe,

Allow me to introduce myself to you.  I am Rachel and I've been around here since 2016. I have lots of healing under my belt but still a long way to go. I read you thread and I love your quote. 

Am I reading correctly, that you aren't getting what you need in the way of a prescription in order to do you taper? That you want to do a slow taper and your doctor somehow got the impression you are going off, and now he has you reducing at his speed?  Is your concern that regardless if you make your own liquid or if purchase liquid Fluoxetine you might run out before your taper is completed? If that is your concern then I have the same concern for you.  You don't need any pressure on you to move faster than you feel comfortable with. I've been in that situation, with the pressure that is, no fun. If I am reading correctly I can make a suggestion in what to say to the doctor but I don't want to barge in with my ideas if I have misinterpreted your situation or you already have it under control.

Here's some other information about the liquid you do need to be aware of.  If you use the prescribed liquid there is sometimes a difference in how the same dosage of a hard pill or capsule versus the liquid will affect you. When I went from 12.5 mg or hard pill to the equivalent of 12.5 mg liquid I got really bad withdrawal symptoms because of this difference.  There are some instructions on this web site on how to move from hard pill to liquid.  I tried to find it for you but wasn't able to today. Perhaps one of the mods might know where it is?  If you are making your own liquid I don't know if there is a difference or not.

Don't let the mg or ml scare you, I'm not good at it either, but there are enough mods around here that are wizards at it and can guide you.

It was really nice meeting you.  Please forgive me if I stuck my nose where it didn't belong. Hopefully things are all in order for you.

Rachel

nz11

It sounds like the therapist has put the doc on the spot by maybe saying whats his taper plan and he now knows he cant get away with blither so has made something up on the spot.

So what you are now saying is you are going to make your own liquid and dont need the doc to prescibe liquid. Then maybe ask the pharmacist not to give liquid but go with the original and get tablets/capsules then so you can continue to make your own.

We know you are not going to do the docs plan so the question now is will the doc renew prescriptions after this 'one renewal' or he may want to know why you need more.

Its so frustrating isnt it when doctors clearly dont understand what 'slow'means. This is why a lot of people are tapering covertly.

Maybe this is an option for you. 

Sounds like the therapist doesnt know about  wdl symptoms either.

RealMe
2 hours ago, RachelSusan said:

Don't let the mg or ml scare you, I'm not good at it either, but there are enough mods around here that are wizards at it and can guide you.

It was really nice meeting you.  Please forgive me if I stuck my nose where it didn't belong. Hopefully things are all in order for you.

Rachel

Thank you, Rachel.  I definitely appreciate any advice and experience you have to share, and I will certainly take care with the transition.  I will look for that transition from pill to liquid link.

Nice meeting you too.  Keep in touch as we heal together.

Best,

RealMe

Rosetta
5 hours ago, RealMe said:

Then after talking to the therapist he has me doing an alternate day taper to nothing in 3 weeks.  Incredible.  I feel so sorry for myself for relying on doctors for so many years.  Better late than never.  I am going to the drug store now to pick up the liquid, but I'm going to make my own liquid from the 10mg. capsules and stay on 9mg. for a while.

Three weeks.  You are looking for another doctor, I hope, and you will never reveal to that doctor that you are tapering, I hope.  For the love of God!!

RealMe

I just picked up the liquid fluoxetine, and while the doctor is wrong about the alternating days and too fast taper, his calculations are not off as I originally thought.  The bottle says each 5mL is the equivalent of 20mg fluoxetine.

Week 1:  2.5 mL (10 mg.) alternate days with 1.25 mL (5 mg.)

Week 2:  1.25 mL (5 mg) per day

Week 3:  1.25 mL (5 mg) every other day

Week 4:  0

The bottle contains 120 mL, and I have 3 refills.  That means 120 x 4 = 480 mL.  480 mL/2.5 = 192 daily 10mg. doses.  or 6 months.  I think I can work with this.  I just have to figure out how many mL would equate to 9mg. if 5mL equates to a 20mg. dose.

Can any mods help with this conversion?

RealMe
4 hours ago, nz11 said:

So what you are now saying is you are going to make your own liquid and dont need the doc to prescibe liquid. Then maybe ask the pharmacist not to give liquid but go with the original and get tablets/capsules then so you can continue to make your own.

We know you are not going to do the docs plan so the question now is will the doc renew prescriptions after this 'one renewal' or he may want to know why you need more.

I don't need to make my own liquid, nz11.  I picked up the prescription liquid, and it contains 120 mL with three refills.  Each 5mL equates to 20mg. So, each 2.5 mL equates to 10 mg.  That means I have about 6 months worth of 10 mg. dosages.  I just need to figure out how many mLs equate to 9mg.  Any math majors here?  Certainly not I.

RealMe
18 hours ago, AliG said:

You could do a crossover from tablet to liquid ~ taking about 6 days but I'm not sure your measurements are accurate ( with the shaving off 1 mg). What are your thoughts?

What does a crossover mean?  I know I approximated 9mg., but I have been shaving off the same tiny amount every day since December.  

If each 5mL contains the equivalent to 20mg. fluoxetine base, how do I measure a 9mg. dosage?  Can you help me figure this out?  I just got the bottle of liquid fluoxetine, and it contains 120 mL.  He gave me 3 refills, so I figure I have at least 6 months.  I can work with that for now.

Kristine
47 minutes ago, RealMe said:

I don't need to make my own liquid, nz11.  I picked up the prescription liquid, and it contains 120 mL with three refills.  Each 5mL equates to 20mg. So, each 2.5 mL equates to 10 mg.  That means I have about 6 months worth of 10 mg. dosages.  I just need to figure out how many mLs equate to 9mg.  Any math majors here?  Certainly not I.

Hey RM, This is how I work it out...hope this helps...

Dose to be given       X     Stock Volume             

Stock strength

9mg         X      5ml.    =   2.25ml   (Amount of liquid to take for 9mg)

20mg

Therefore for one 120ml bottle you will have approx 53 dosages.  You have three more refills which will equal 212 dosages...think that's a bit over seven months.

think that's right, maybe others can check my maths! 

RealMe
46 minutes ago, Kristine said:

Hey RM, This is how I work it out...hope this helps...

Dose to be given       X     Stock Volume             

Stock strength

9mg         X      5ml.    =   2.25ml   (Amount of liquid to take for 9mg)

20mg

Therefore for one 120ml bottle you will have approx 53 dosages.  You have three more refills which will equal 212 dosages...think that's a bit over seven months.

think that's right, maybe others can check my maths! 

I'm so lucky to have such brilliant new friends!  Thank you very much.  Would 8mg. be 2mL? (I was never the math student) Wait.  I need to figure out 10% reduction of 9mg.

RM

Kristine
1 minute ago, RealMe said:

I'm so lucky to have such brilliant new friends!  Thank you very much.  Would 8mg. be 2mL? (I was never the math student)

Lol..I just need to know these formulas for nursing...actually it's good to put it into practice again! I'd wait for a mod...I think I've read you need to round up numbers (otherwise impossible to measure)  ie 2.25ml would either be 2.2ml or 2.3ml...see what the mods say.

yes, your right :)  You are an A+ maths student :D

8mg       X     5ml.    =   2ml.  

20mg

Love to you RM. K xo

RealMe
2 minutes ago, Kristine said:

Lol..I just need to know these formulas for nursing...actually it's good to put it into practice again! I'd wait for a mod...I think I've read you need to round up numbers (otherwise impossible to measure)  ie 2.25ml would either be 2.2ml or 2.3ml...see what the mods say.

yes, your right :)  You are an A+ maths student :D

8mg       X     5ml.    =   2ml.  

20mg

Love to you RM. K xo

Such fun finally being an A+ math student!  If I'm not imposing too much, can you help me figure out what a 10% reduction of 9mg. would be?

Kristine
13 minutes ago, RealMe said:

Such fun finally being an A+ math student!  If I'm not imposing too much, can you help me figure out what a 10% reduction of 9mg. would be?

:wub:  so...10% of 9mg would be 0.9mg  =  8.1mg

Therefore.....

8.1mg  X 5ml    =   2.025ml .....2ml       (Then the next 10% drop dosage should be 1.8mls) 

20mg

You could never impose RM.  Hugs K xo

RealMe
2 minutes ago, Kristine said:

:wub:  so...10% of 9mg would be 0.9mg  =  8.1mg

Therefore.....

8.1mg  X 5ml    =   2.025ml.....so still 2ml....but again I'd wait for a mod! 

20mg

You could never impose RM.  Hugs K xo

Thanks again!  Just putting together my tapering plan while I'm in a bit of a window.

Kristine
2 minutes ago, RealMe said:

Thanks again!  Just putting together my tapering plan while I'm in a bit of a window.

Long may your window last! Xo K