Tam1975: Effexor withdrawal

Tam1975

I have been on effexor XR for about 5 years. It worked very well for me but recently i moved from one state to another. My PCP will not renew my perscription told me i need to find a provider in my area. So now i am out of my meds no tapering or anything. I ran out once before for almost 2 weeks and the withdrawl is very brutal. You feel like your dying and going crazy.

Tam1975

Tam1975 venaflaxine xr discontinuance started 4 years ago 225mg daily stopped on 10/16/2017. 

• ChessieCat changed the title to Tam1975: Effexor withdrawal

Hi Tam. Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants ( SA). I'm so sorry that you are going through this. I'm from Australia and we have a different system, so pardon my ignorance but can you see a new doctor in your current state for a prescription? As far as I know , you do not need a script from a psychiatrist. A general practitioner should be able to provide you with one. I would try to locate one as soon as possible.

How long have you been off the Effexor? If it has only been a few weeks or even months, a small reinstatement may help to ease some of your withdrawal symptoms and help your nervous system stabilize.

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

We ask all our members to fill in their signature with their drug and tapering history. Please follow the directions at the link below :

Please put your withdrawal history in your signature

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

I had medical insurance through the state i previously lived in and where i live now does not accept another states insurance so i am waiting to get approved for new insurance. I am going to search for a dr in my area but do not have the money to pay for a dr appointment. So several things are complicated however if the withdrawls get as severe as they were previously i will go to the emergency room. I was without it for a week migraine started within 24 hours then nausea over emotional aggitation sensitivity to light sound smells hot and cold flashes confusion. Pharmacy gave me one dose eased symptoms within an hour but now have none. This drug is brutal to withdrawl from. Im dreading waking up in the morning. Last does was yesterday around noon headache has gradually been coming back for a few hours now.

Tam1975

Effexor xr 225 mg daily

Day one without medication  

Tam1975 venaflaxine xr discontinuance started 4 years ago 225mg daily stopped on 10/16/2017. 

Update

Its been three days and so far foggy mind fatigue and got flashes have started. Little over emotional such as wanting to and almost crying over trivial things. Oh and the shakes. Advise always plan ahead if you are moving out of state. Never stop medication without seeking a doctors help. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Tam1975, I don't have any first-hand knowledge of whether this program would apply to you, but thought seeing as you are in the midst of trying to get coverage, that you might qualify, even temporarily for a low cost prescription.  As I said, I don't have any first-hand knowledge and can't personally recommend this site, but it looks legit and you might be able to save yourself from going into full-blown withdrawal.  

https://www.effexorxr.com/choice-card

Current Prescription Drugs for Hypothyroidism:  Synthroid 100mcg / Cytomel 5mcg (15 years Pristiq/Effexor)

Tapering Schedule
September 15, 2016 - switched from Pristiq 50mg to Effexor XR 75mg; November 10, 2016 - reduced to 67.5 Effexor XR
December 9, 2016 - reduced 60.75
January 5, 2017 - reduced 54.67
January 30, 2017 - reduced to 49.0
February 20, 2017 - reduced to 44.0 
May 20, 2017 - reduced to 40.25 (holding for additional month due to late onset of withdrawal symptoms after this taper)
July 17, 2017 - reduced to 38.24
August 15, 2017 - reduced to 37.5 (50% of my original dose)

October 15, 2017 - reduced to 35.6

November 12, 2017 - reduced to 33.8
December 15, 2017 - up-dose to 35.6
December 28, 2017 - up-dose to 37.5

• Moderator Emeritus

As well, and I'm not sure about New Jersey, but here in Canada, you can get samples from a family doctor or hospital ER and that might help tide you over until your insurance comes through.

Current Prescription Drugs for Hypothyroidism:  Synthroid 100mcg / Cytomel 5mcg (15 years Pristiq/Effexor)

Tapering Schedule
September 15, 2016 - switched from Pristiq 50mg to Effexor XR 75mg; November 10, 2016 - reduced to 67.5 Effexor XR
December 9, 2016 - reduced 60.75
January 5, 2017 - reduced 54.67
January 30, 2017 - reduced to 49.0
February 20, 2017 - reduced to 44.0 
May 20, 2017 - reduced to 40.25 (holding for additional month due to late onset of withdrawal symptoms after this taper)
July 17, 2017 - reduced to 38.24
August 15, 2017 - reduced to 37.5 (50% of my original dose)

October 15, 2017 - reduced to 35.6

November 12, 2017 - reduced to 33.8
December 15, 2017 - up-dose to 35.6
December 28, 2017 - up-dose to 37.5

Thank you i will definately look into it. I never knew til about a year ago how extreme the changes to your brain were from antidepressants. That your brain becomes ao dependent on them even if they are no longer doing the job they were meant to. Thank you