SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

☼ bruno2016: Hello everyone, off Celexa

bruno2016

Hello brothers and sisters,

I am so relieved I found this site. I was on another site for anxiety, but seemed like everyone there was on an antidepressant and would not accept any critical comments or discussions about them. I wish people just really knew how dangerous these drugs can be.

Anyways, I am pleased to announce that I have started a fairly new type of treatment for anxiety and depression called Transcranial Electrical Stimulation (different from Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation). I have been on and off antidepressants for almost 8 years, and I must admit that my brain feels fried. I eventually got to the point that I could not handle the drug side effects anylonger and, thus, searched for another way. I tried various things: amino acid therapy, orthomolecular medicine, herbs, various supplements, acupuncture, etc. All this in an attempt to get off the drugs. The past 6 months or so I have been feeling depressed with some anxiety (ironically i never suffered from constant low mood until after antidepressant use). I knew from experience what would happen if I went to the doctor; more drugs. I decided to try something else (yes again). I eventually found a place here in Houston that offered this new electrical therapy along with a functional approach (although some of their test like the whole neurotransmitter testing thing probably has little value). They started me on the electrical therapy and by the second session I felt great. The following week I began to go off my celexa (was on 20mg). Mind you, this was my 3 time withdrawaling from antidepressants, so i was a bit scared. I the past, I felt withdrawal symptoms immediately. Once I began my withdrawal, they gave me intravenous nutrients to combat the symptoms. This helped a lot, along with the electrical therapy.

I am currently 4 days off the drugs and feel pretty good. I have been having brain zaps, some brain fog, and fatigue, but my mood is good. My biggest issue right now is concentration issues, focus, and processing info.

Anyways, I would be happy to provide details on transcranial electrical stimulation if anyone is interested. There are almost no reviews of it online bc it has been here for like 2 years. It is mainly used in Germany and Russia I believe.

I hope you all can also provide me some feedback on brain zaps ( i am taking fish oil already) and any other info you deem necessary. One weird syptom I am having is joint pain. Seems like after reducing the drugs, my joints began to hurt which seems unusual. Thanks and I hope to talk with you all soon.

Edited by Altostrata
merged topics and retitled

Various SSRIs/SNRIs 7- 1/2 years

Went Cold Turkey from Celexa 2011, Stayed Off

Psych Drug Free and Loving Life (over 6 years and counting)

How I Stay Well: Diet, exercise, meditation, supplements, etc

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bruno2016

• Altostrata

• spectio

• Petunia

• Administrator

Hi, Zepp, and welcome.

What was your tapering schedule off Celexa?

What you are describing are withdrawal symptoms. Low mood can also be a withdrawal symptom.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi, Zepp, and welcome.

What was your tapering schedule off Celexa?

What you are describing are withdrawal symptoms. Low mood can also be a withdrawal symptom.

Hello there,

well i know it sounds crazy, but this clinic took me off the drugs rather quickly, about 4 days. I am not sure what to think. I mean the place is run by a psychologist and they are paired up with an MD who is the medical director. They use an intravenous formula to get off the drugs, along with the electrical therapy. I must admit I am a bit confused; all that I read says to go extra slow, yet they did not. The psychologist even has a copy of Tracey Ann Blake's book "Prozac: panacea or pandora" sitting in the lobby! She has a great deal of experience when it comes to mental health and drugs. Surely they know how these drugs can have serious withdrawal issues. So I was left with asking myself: "are they on to something? Have they developed a faster, better way to get off drugs?" If so, this could be the start of something great and help so many people.

I suppose only time can tell. I dont really feel bad, but just severe brain zaps and joint pain. I get little bouts of saddness and anxiety like every other day, but it is nowhere near compared to what i went through on my other two withdrawal experiences (first paxil, then zoloft, now celexa).

So going back in time, I was off zoloft for about a month or so. I withdrew from that rather quickly as well, about 2 weeks. Eventually I got very bad and had to go back on drugs, so this time the new doctor i was seeing decided to use celexa. I got immediate improvement with celexa at 20mg along with tryptophan, phenylalanine, and some vitamins and minerals. It stayed that way for about 6 months then i began to feel bad again. The fatigue was horrible as well. So instead of upping my dose, I decided to try various other approaches: orthomolecular medicine, supplements, amino acids, etc. All gave me initial improvement, but did not last.

so yea, thats how i ended up where i am now. I am sorry, but there is something inside me that keeps telling me to do everything i can to get off the drugs, stay off, and never look back. To be honest, they scare me. I am afraid where i will be in 20 years from now if i stay on antidepressants...

Hi Zep. I think I saw you post about this before elsewhere and I thought it was very interesting. Do you mind if I share this method on my withdrawal website?

I completely got rid of brain zaps with Arsenicum Album 30C. I used to have them alot but now I'm not having them at all. I posted instructions on how to take Homeopathy here.

Wishing you the best!

Taper from Cymbalta, Paxil, Prozac & Antipsychotics finished June 2012.

Xanax 5% Taper - (8/12 - .5 mg) - (9/12 - .45) - (10/12 - .43) - (11/12 - .41) - (12/12 - .38)

My Paxil Website

My Intro

Hi Zep. I think I saw you post about this before elsewhere and I thought it was very interesting. Do you mind if I share this method on my withdrawal website?

I completely got rid of brain zaps with Arsenicum Album 30C. I used to have them alot but now I'm not having them at all. I posted instructions on how to take Homeopathy here.

Wishing you the best!

hello and thanks for your comments.

I have posted this elsewhere, i know for sure on a social anxiety site under the therapy section, and maybe somewhere else. Oh yes and on a paxil website. Before i started the nexalin therapy i was trying to find out as much info on it as possible, mainly any reviews. Apparently this device is fairly new and I could not find any reviews so offered to provide details to anyone who was interested.

So far I am doing well. I am a full time student and work full time, so i believe if i can balance these two things then i must be fairly stable. I still have more sessions of the nexalin therapy and tomorrow i am doing another IV drip bc today was a bit rough. I was taken off the celexa quick, and while my mood as been fairly stable, the brain zaps are what is getting me.

Perhaps if you want to wait a while and follow my progress before you post this technique. I would hate for anyone to jump into something and not have it work, especially something that is fairly expensive (nexalin is around $3500, plus the amino acid/nutrient IV drips at $200 each). The good news is, if you have a job you can do the care credit and make monthly payments for your treatment at many clinics. So, if the program works, then this very may well be a major step forward: mainly, using transcranial electrical stimulation along with IV therapy to quickly, safely, and successfully get one off antidepressants drugs. I am certain that if this program works for me, it will work for many others bc I have been on antidepressants nearly 8 years and have been through hell and back with these damned drugs.

There is another place here in houston that has a fairly good success rate (from what they told me) with IV therapy to come off drugs. I find IV therapy great so far and have read some promising things about this type of therapy. I will definitively keep anyone posted on my progress.

Wow, that is expensive. But worth it imo if a person can afford it or could do the credit. Okay, I'll wait and see how it goes. Keep us posted and good luck.

Taper from Cymbalta, Paxil, Prozac & Antipsychotics finished June 2012.

Xanax 5% Taper - (8/12 - .5 mg) - (9/12 - .45) - (10/12 - .43) - (11/12 - .41) - (12/12 - .38)

My Paxil Website

My Intro

• Administrator

Zepp, what was in the injection? What's in the IV therapy?

I would DEFINITELY want to know this!

Apparently the electrical stimulation is the Nexalin therapy, see http://nexalintechnology.com/?q=node/32 They claim a lot for it, but nothing for drug withdrawal.

I sure hope your withdrawal continues to go well. I agree, let's wait and see.

I would not leap to concluding this is a silver bullet for antidepressant withdrawal. There are a lot of treatments out there that are, hmmmm, not relevant but produce revenue.

If you're having brain zaps, that's a sign you've tapered too fast.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Can you post the names of these clinics?

a.k.a JMarie

Paxil since Mar.1998

2006-2007:40-20mg
2009: 20mg to 14mg 2010: 14mg to 10.5mg 2011: 10.5 to 7.6mg  2012: 7.5 to 6.8mg

2013: 6.7-6.3mg 2014: 6.2mg-5.8mg 2015: 5.7 to 5.15mg 2016: 5.1-4.6mg

1/19/17: 4.5mg 3/17/17: 4.4mg

6/15/17: 4.35mg 8/10/17: 4.3mg

1/29/18: 4.1mg 5/07/18: 4.0mg

7/31/18: 3.9mg

Zepp, what was in the injection? What's in the IV therapy?

I would DEFINITELY want to know this!

Apparently the electrical stimulation is the Nexalin therapy, see http://nexalintechnology.com/?q=node/32 They claim a lot for it, but nothing for drug withdrawal.

I sure hope your withdrawal continues to go well. I agree, let's wait and see.

I would not leap to concluding this is a silver bullet for antidepressant withdrawal. There are a lot of treatments out there that are, hmmmm, not relevant but produce revenue.

If you're having brain zaps, that's a sign you've tapered too fast.

there were no injections given, only IV therapy. I cannot remember exactly what was in the formula, but the doctor and staff developed this formula specifically for SSRI withdrawal (do not feel so comfortable giving the exact formula on here). I may have the formula paper still. Off the top of my head, i know that it contains a few basic things like vit c, zinc, etc. Further, it has glutatione (read this detox substance has done wonders for people), tryptophan, and something called freamine III which is an amino acid type complex. Amino acids are fundamental in repairing any damage caused by any drugs including SSRI, and whether people choose to believe it or not, the antidepressants do cause damage and create a real chemical imbalance. This brings up something else i was going to try, it is called neurotransmitter restoration therapy and is used in some detox clinics. This formula also utilizes IV amino acids to repair and stabilize people coming off illegal and prescription drugs. Perhaps i can attempt to locate some reviews on this.

The electrical stimulation was not developed for withdrawal, that is why the website does not have info on this. It was developed over many many years by a russian doctor, and is FDA approved for anxiety, depression, and insomnia. Naturally, if it works for these things, it will have its place during time of withdrawal bc it seems to stabilize me in a time where my body is going through a lot. Moreover, I understand that it is too soon to tell how effective my program is, that is why I have not been jumping to any conclusions, making claims, etc and am taking things slow. Believe it or not, I am very experienced in a variety of treatments and understand fully that what everything boils down to is money and most people have no problem selling you their "way" bc they, in the end, need to feed themselves and their families. The bottom line is this: look at what is being offered in a logical, reasonable since and listen to what your intuition tells you. If you feel that you may benefit then try it.

As far as brain zaps go, they have lessened a lot. I am aware that brain zaps usually signify that a withdrawal is going to quickly, but even a slow taper can produce brain zaps and other symptoms. Nevertheless, brain zaps alone are not so bad and would prefer to have them in place of depression, anxiety, fatigue, etc. So it looks like the clinic may have to modify a thing or two to deal with brain zaps.

I see you are in Houston. Weather has been nice the last few days no? Are you currently experiencing withdrawal issues or looking for treatment (I sound like I am doing a commercial)? I can provide you with the clinic name, but if you can watch my progress for a couple more weeks then you will know for sure if it is worth it or not to go there. I have invested a lot of time and money into my treatment and would not recommend it unless i had, not good, but GREAT results. This crap can get expensive and believe we deserve the best.

With that said, we are all very unique and we respond differently to different treatments. Likewise, there could be some underlying issues that you have that i do not, so yea. A few things the clinic looks for are things like gluten sensitivity, heavy metals, etc. One interesting thing that I recently was given by them to try is an an active form of folic acid called methylfolate (prescription only. The pharmaceutical companies jumped on this quick, even tho it is NOT a drug. They are currently trying to do the same thing with the active form of vit B6 called P5P). A number of individuals have some kind of gene problem (google it, dont remember all details) that prevents the folic acid from converting into methylfolate and reaching the brain, which in turn causes a neurotransmitter deficiency (google deplin and depression).

• Administrator

I have a lot of reservations about this. I've heard of using glutathione IVs to treat a lot of neurological ailments. I personally would not do this.

As I said, wishing the best for you, Zepp. Please let us know how you're doing as time goes on.

I see you are in Houston. Weather has been nice the last few days no? Are you currently experiencing withdrawal issues or looking for treatment (I sound like I am doing a commercial)? I can provide you with the clinic name, but if you can watch my progress for a couple more weeks then you will know for sure if it is worth it or not to go there. I have invested a lot of time and money into my treatment and would not recommend it unless i had, not good, but GREAT results. This crap can get expensive and believe we deserve the best.

Yes, we have been having lovely weather lately! It's when we are in transition from hot to cold months and vice versa that we seem to have the best weather here. :)

I was just curious as to their names, I definitely could NOT afford it lol. Thanks for your concern though, I totally understand what you are saying. I really hope it does work for you and please do keep us posted.

a.k.a JMarie

Paxil since Mar.1998

2006-2007:40-20mg
2009: 20mg to 14mg 2010: 14mg to 10.5mg 2011: 10.5 to 7.6mg  2012: 7.5 to 6.8mg

2013: 6.7-6.3mg 2014: 6.2mg-5.8mg 2015: 5.7 to 5.15mg 2016: 5.1-4.6mg

1/19/17: 4.5mg 3/17/17: 4.4mg

6/15/17: 4.35mg 8/10/17: 4.3mg

1/29/18: 4.1mg 5/07/18: 4.0mg

7/31/18: 3.9mg

• 3 weeks later...

hey everyone,

so its been nearly a month now since I have been off the antidepressants. I have had some tough moments but am still hanging in there. I have added some new supplements and continue to do TES therapy and have also started neurofeedback. Seems like my brain is sort of wacked out from all the years on drugs and I am having a hard time thinking cleary. At least I am doing physically well. I had some bad neck pain and some body aches but those have since gone away. I will tell you what really helps, exercise!! Read that it stimulates the production of BDNF, or something like that which causes neurogenisis. I could use some of that lol. Hope everyone is doing ok.

• Administrator

That's good news, Zepp. We're all agreed about exercise!

What symptoms did you have at first and which have gotten better?

How much fish oil are you taking? That seems to help a lot of people.

That's good news, Zepp. We're all agreed about exercise!

What symptoms did you have at first and which have gotten better?

How much fish oil are you taking? That seems to help a lot of people.

it seems like my symptoms change from time to time. I was told and I read that this is normal as the body adjust to living without the drugs. The drugs are in every tissue so I would imagine I will get some fairly weird and uncomfortable symptoms. For example, last week my neck all of a sudden began to hurt. Some days I will still have body aches and other days I will feel fine. My biggest complaint is the cognitive problems: inability to focus, concentrate, remember, processs, etc. That is one reason why I started neurofeeback. Hope it helps.

I am on a number of supplements including a nutrient compound from an orthomolecular clinic, inositol, 5htp, tyrosine, fish oil, and tumeric. I am currently at 4 grams of fish oil. I still have small brain zaps once in a while. I felt really sad yesterday and thought it was WD, but I then remembered that I did not take the 5htp the day before. About an hour after taking it I felt better. Am I now reliant on 5htp? Or do I really have some sort of biochemical problem to where I need to take 5htp? Makes me wonder. What confuses me is that I read neurotransmitters are not the sole cause of mental health problems as so many doctors claim. One study I read showed that even healthy, happy people can have low neurotransmitters. Some days I just want to run away and live in the forest. Get away from these doctors and their drugs and supplements. What also confuses me is the lack of agreement and organization when it comes to a protocol for getting off drugs. SOme say take supplements such as 5htp, some sources say do not and instead focus on a good diet and avoid all synthetic vitamins. They say that it is important to let the body heal itself and using things like 5htp hampers your bodies ability to regulate its own serotogeneric system. What I mess. Also, most people say get off slow. The place I went got me off 20mg celexa in a week (this is a pretty small dose tho). Some say avoid b vitamins, yet the place I went used a b complex in the IV formula. Really people, why is there so much debate about coming off AD? Can we not get some scientists together and find out the best approach? Over the next few years, I predict more and more people will realize that AD are not the solution and so there will be a higher demand for withdrawal programs and advice, so many folks will end up confused. ALso, they will get taken advantage of by some of those idiots out there who profit off our problems.

Well I think the important things is that I am off drugs and still doing relatively well. Like I said, its mainly my focus that is off, but this could be a result of my brain chemistry. When I read, my eyes tend to jump around and I cannot even focus. WTH? Anyways, I am starting a raw food diet soon. Read many great health benefits to that and look foward to staying away from processed foods.

• Administrator

That is true, "neurotransmitter imbalance" is a fraud. There's no way to measure the level of neurotransmitters in the brain, and nobody knows what they do, anyway.

However, when you are taking psychiatric drugs, they do affect neurotransmitters -- and all the other hormone systems in your body -- so you end up with an artificial neurotransmitter balance dependent on taking the drug.

If you're taking supplements that are supposed to boost neurotransmitters and they make you feel better, they're doing something else for you other than balancing neurotransmitters, like supplying nutrients.

Many people whose systems have been sensitized by withdrawal cannot take 5-HTP, inositol, etc. -- they cause bad reactions. If a supplement makes you feel better, it seems to be okay for you. It's a very individual thing.

When you're taking a "nutrient compound" with a lot of ingredients, you don't know which of the ingredients is making you feel better or worse, which is why we recommend that people not take pre-mixed remedies. But if it works for you, or at least doesn't make you worse, fine.

If you mean 4 capsules of fish oil when you say 4 grams, you may not be taking enough. The omega-3 fatty acids DHA and EPA are the important ingredients in fish oil. There are other oils in the capsule that aren't important. You may wish to take 6 capsules or more a day to get enough DHA and EPA. See Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil).

• 2 weeks later...

I have been off the drugs for about 5 weeks now and I have had some fairly good days and some not so good days. Today has been one of the worst and I am not sure why. I am feeling so depressed and I need some help. I dont know where to go bc obviously if i go to a doctor they will give me more drugs. Sometimes I am scared that this is the only way. I just wish these feelings would go away. What can I do?

Hi,zeppelin,I.ve been off remeron for nine weeks and have had similar days in the first month to month and a half. it's where you think, boy I hate to go through another day like this. What's happened with my wd, though, is that usually the next day is entirely different. it may not be any more comfortable, but instea d of depression. You'll have a jittery day or a nauseous day or a tolerable day. It's hard to say. I think it's just your brain no longer being bathed in poison and so is trying to find its way back to normal. I know these are really hard days, but if your depression is worse than it used to be, it's most certainly because you are no longer on the drug. I hate to use the word normal but I think you are having a normal withdrawal day. just think about it...you have been on the drugs for many years and now youre not. All the changes your brain made while on the drugs will not reverse for a while. Maybe well be one of the lucky ones and our withdrawal times will be short. Take care of yourself, be gentle in your expectations, and do some reading around the forum. It I'll give you insight into what we are up against. there are lots of caring, knowledgable people here who are anxious to help you. things really will get better. peace to you my friend.

I started withdrawing off remeron in August of 2009, with the help of a holistic physician.The reason for the withdrawal was a year or two of off and on nausea, deterioration in my thinking, and more depression. It took me a full year to work from 135 mg down to 45mg. At that point, more drops were causing more depression. Unfortuately, the nervousness that I was also feeling for the last year continued with the 45 mg. Thirty one days ago, I stopped the remeron. I am still feeling the nervousness every day and the last week, I am feeling what I think is depression but not sure. In bed in the morning, I'm already dreading another day feeling this way. I am intensely unsure of myself and find it very hard to do anything. I was a practicing veterinarian for 29 years until I found I could not practice anymore. First of all I couldn't think, or remember, and I had absolutely no confidence in anything I did. These were things I did with relative ease for twenty+ years. So, this feeling of no confidence has been during the time I was on the AD(the last 2 years) and today. I take no other medication other than my blood pressure meds. I tried supplements with my holistic dr. but they seemed to make the intense nervousness even more intense. Anyway, I truly feel stuck.

Hi,zeppelin,I.ve been off remeron for nine weeks and have had similar days in the first month to month and a half. it's where you think, boy I hate to go through another day like this. What's happened with my wd, though, is that usually the next day is entirely different. it may not be any more comfortable, but instea d of depression. You'll have a jittery day or a nauseous day or a tolerable day. It's hard to say. I think it's just your brain no longer being bathed in poison and so is trying to find its way back to normal. I know these are really hard days, but if your depression is worse than it used to be, it's most certainly because you are no longer on the drug. I hate to use the word normal but I think you are having a normal withdrawal day. just think about it...you have been on the drugs for many years and now youre not. All the changes your brain made while on the drugs will not reverse for a while. Maybe well be one of the lucky ones and our withdrawal times will be short. Take care of yourself, be gentle in your expectations, and do some reading around the forum. It I'll give you insight into what we are up against. there are lots of caring, knowledgable people here who are anxious to help you. things really will get better. peace to you my friend.

thanks for your words. Today is by far the worst day since i got off the drugs and i am not sure if it is just withdrawal. I am just so lost. I have done so much to try and overcome my problems and search for underlying things without using drugs. I have been to a number of places and have had little success.I recently spent all my money i had saved up and money from my student loans to get treatment at an alternative place that uses nexalin therapy. I paid about $4500. Now I am broke and am in worse condition than before I went there. My life seems to just have fallen apart. I had to drop my some classes and am barley holding on to the other two. I have lost weight, i cant think clearly. I'm scared that i will have to turn ti drugs to be stable and live a somewhat normal life.

Zeppelin...it took me one year to reduce my dosage to one third and another year to completely stop the drug. I remember having terrible depression especially after stopping the last 45 mg. I really think I have much less depression this last two months than I did while on the meds. Also, for the first year of reducing the meds, I worked with an alternative medicine dr. who put me on multiple supplements in attempt to rebalance my neurotransmitters and I think that greatly delayed my course of reducing and withdrawing from the meds. I also found that any attempt to introduce other supplements, antihistamines, fish oil, or overdoing exercise or trying to push myself to do things ultimately resulted in feeling worse. Since I've been monitoring this site , I've learned so much about recovering from this terrible dilemma. The administrator and the other wonderful staff members Will come on board for you soon and tell you more. What I've come away with since I've been here is that you really have to be gentle with yourself and not have a lot of expectations. In some ways we are recovering drug addicts and need peace and quiet, good food, and loving supportive friends and family. How you're feeling today will absolutely not indicate how tomorrow will be. How are you sleeping? please don,t go back to a dr until you hear from other members. We've all been where you are and know how absolutely terrifying it is. Talk to you tomorrow, dear. :)

I started withdrawing off remeron in August of 2009, with the help of a holistic physician.The reason for the withdrawal was a year or two of off and on nausea, deterioration in my thinking, and more depression. It took me a full year to work from 135 mg down to 45mg. At that point, more drops were causing more depression. Unfortuately, the nervousness that I was also feeling for the last year continued with the 45 mg. Thirty one days ago, I stopped the remeron. I am still feeling the nervousness every day and the last week, I am feeling what I think is depression but not sure. In bed in the morning, I'm already dreading another day feeling this way. I am intensely unsure of myself and find it very hard to do anything. I was a practicing veterinarian for 29 years until I found I could not practice anymore. First of all I couldn't think, or remember, and I had absolutely no confidence in anything I did. These were things I did with relative ease for twenty+ years. So, this feeling of no confidence has been during the time I was on the AD(the last 2 years) and today. I take no other medication other than my blood pressure meds. I tried supplements with my holistic dr. but they seemed to make the intense nervousness even more intense. Anyway, I truly feel stuck.

Zeppelin...it took me one year to reduce my dosage to one third and another year to completely stop the drug. I remember having terrible depression especially after stopping the last 45 mg. I really think I have much less depression this last two months than I did while on the meds. Also, for the first year of reducing the meds, I worked with an alternative medicine dr. who put me on multiple supplements in attempt to rebalance my neurotransmitters and I think that greatly delayed my course of reducing and withdrawing from the meds. I also found that any attempt to introduce other supplements, antihistamines, fish oil, or overdoing exercise or trying to push myself to do things ultimately resulted in feeling worse. Since I've been monitoring this site , I've learned so much about recovering from this terrible dilemma. The administrator and the other wonderful staff members Will come on board for you soon and tell you more. What I've come away with since I've been here is that you really have to be gentle with yourself and not have a lot of expectations. In some ways we are recovering drug addicts and need peace and quiet, good food, and loving supportive friends and family. How you're feeling today will absolutely not indicate how tomorrow will be. How are you sleeping? please don,t go back to a dr until you hear from other members. We've all been where you are and know how absolutely terrifying it is. Talk to you tomorrow, dear. :)

So then the alternative medicine doc did not help you? I know others on here have said that if we cannot handle it then its not so bad to go back on the drugs in order to bring some peace and reduce the suffering. I think you are right that just because I feel bad right now that it does not mean tomorrow or the next day will be the same. So what is your plan? You will always remain drug free? Did you consider going back on drugs?

My sleep is pretty good. I usually sleep late like around 2am and wake up late like around 1130 or 12 and sometimes later. I work evenings and a couple days out of the week I get home around 1230am so naturally sleep late. I have been eating a lot of raw, organic, whole foods lately and staying away from sugar and processed food. So i think this is a good idea.

I am currently taking a number of supplements including the amino acids. i cant say for sure if they are helping because obviously I am still suffering. Also, when i realized that drug therapy was not what I wanted, i turned to orthomolecular medicine and was first diagnosed with pyroluria, and now they are saying i am undermethylated. I have read of many people who have been helped by orthomolecular medicine and I thought Dr. Carl Pfeiffer and Linus Pauling were amazing doctors. I hope This approach works for me. The supplements they gave me for pyroluria made me feel great for a few weeks. Later, the clinic closed down and they sent me to another place. The other place had me take a pyrolle test and it turned out it was negative. I have done heavy metal testing, hair testing, nutrients, and other things. This is why sometimes I feel as though i may need drugs for the rest of my life bc nothing else seems to help. This world is fxxx up with all these people claiming they can help you and then you are left worse off and broke.

What will become of me I dont know. Lets hope I can make it through this. I will start some talk therapy soon and neurofeedback. I was doing so well too....

• Administrator

zepp, it's a good sign you have some good days and you're sleeping okay.

As spectio said, symptoms change all the time. Deep melancholia is one of them. You feel just awful (I used to call this the "black holes") but a couple hours later, you're feeling okay. This is your nervous system wobbling a bit.

It may take some time for your nervous system to recover from withdrawal. Going back on the medication may or may not help or make you worse -- and then you're back on the medication again, with all those problems.

Doctors don't know how to treat withdrawal and they don't know much about so-called mood disorders, either. That goes for alternative medicine, too. You didn't get "fixed" because whatever they were treating you for wasn't your central problem. This doesn't mean you'll never recover.

We are trained to think there's a quick fix for everything. For this situation, there is no quick fix. You may have to change some of your habits to take care of yourself and support your nervous system while it's healing.

For example, for sleep, it might be better if you go to bed earlier and get up earlier -- this puts your nervous system onto its "factory-installed" track and reinforces your sleep pattern. Don't stay up all night, don't drink, get exercise, and be as healthy as possible. You need to treat yourself gently to assist healing.

zepp, it's a good sign you have some good days and you're sleeping okay.

As spectio said, symptoms change all the time. Deep melancholia is one of them. You feel just awful (I used to call this the "black holes") but a couple hours later, you're feeling okay. This is your nervous system wobbling a bit.

It may take some time for your nervous system to recover from withdrawal. Going back on the medication may or may not help or make you worse -- and then you're back on the medication again, with all those problems.

Doctors don't know how to treat withdrawal and they don't know much about so-called mood disorders, either. That goes for alternative medicine, too. You didn't get "fixed" because whatever they were treating you for wasn't your central problem. This doesn't mean you'll never recover.

We are trained to think there's a quick fix for everything. For this situation, there is no quick fix. You may have to change some of your habits to take care of yourself and support your nervous system while it's healing.

For example, for sleep, it might be better if you go to bed earlier and get up earlier -- this puts your nervous system onto its "factory-installed" track and reinforces your sleep pattern. Don't stay up all night, don't drink, get exercise, and be as healthy as possible. You need to treat yourself gently to assist healing.

Thank you for your reply.

It has been rather a strange time for me; been doing very well then all of a sudden yesterday boom! Today I woke up with a weird since of 'not being all here'. Like, I am another person, like just feeling weird. Thank God I am not depressed today like I was yesterday, though.

I know many would say to stick through it. After all, it was my decision to get off drugs and no one forced me to. I wanted to get off for many reasons and also I think its important that I follow my intuition as I did. So, it would not make much since to have invested all this time and money in getting off the drugs and then go back to square one and start taking them again. My mind set is so anti-antidepressants that it would take a lot of work to accept a life on AD. I just have this underlying fear that I have some sort of brain dysfunction and that I cannot possibly live a "normal" life without AD or other drugs.

I know for sure how important it is to take it easy and treat my body and mind well while healing. But, it is just so hard sometimes and so you simply stop caring and you end up in the helpless state of being, just like that dog in that famous psychology experiment. I keep fighting and hoping, and I keeping losing and suffering so over time I find that I am becoming helpless and my will power has been taken from me. In these moments it is so easy to return to taking the drugs and also being vulnerable to these alternative people who claim they can help you.

So i was wondering, everyone is always saying how important it is to taper slowly. But it seems like that fro some this may not be the best way bc at lower doses it can sort of have that homeopathic effect; like you take a smaller dose and the effects are felt more than a higher one. You know what I mean? I just often wonder if tapering really is the best way. When I say tapering I mean going very very slow over years. Naturally we cant simply stop taking the drug cold turkey bc this is a major shock to the body.

That brings me to one last thing- has anyone on this site use the road back program? I searched the site but could not find.

• Administrator

It has been rather a strange time for me; been doing very well then all of a sudden yesterday boom! Today I woke up with a weird since of 'not being all here'. Like, I am another person, like just feeling weird. Thank God I am not depressed today like I was yesterday, though.

That weird feeling is called depersonalization.

I just have this underlying fear that I have some sort of brain dysfunction and that I cannot possibly live a "normal" life without AD or other drugs.

Propaganda generated to sell these drugs has put that thought in many people's minds. For most people taking antidepressants, it isn't true. The only situation in which they are remotely justified is Major Depressive Disorder, which is a paralyzing condition that lands people in the hospital -- and even then, drugs may not be the best treatment.

I know for sure how important it is to take it easy and treat my body and mind well while healing. But, it is just so hard sometimes and so you simply stop caring and you end up in the helpless state of being, just like that dog in that famous psychology experiment. I keep fighting and hoping, and I keeping losing and suffering so over time I find that I am becoming helpless and my will power has been taken from me. In these moments it is so easy to return to taking the drugs and also being vulnerable to these alternative people who claim they can help you.

We all know how this is, zepp. This is why we encourage each other. It's not an easy road. But when you develop this ability, it can help with any life problems you have when you are recovered and this is all behind you. Dealing with this stuff builds character, plus it focuses us on doing what's best for us -- which many people who are depressed are not good at doing.

So i was wondering, everyone is always saying how important it is to taper slowly. But it seems like that fro some this may not be the best way bc at lower doses it can sort of have that homeopathic effect; like you take a smaller dose and the effects are felt more than a higher one.

Tapering is the ONLY way we know to lessen withdrawal symptoms. The reason you feel it more at low doses is because the entire reduction has a cumulative impact on your nervous system. Also, at low doses, a reduction is a higher percentage of the total. A reduction of 1mg is 2% of 50mg, but it's 20% of 5mg. The homeopathic explanation doesn't make any sense.

BUT -- even very slow tapering, some people will still suffer withdrawal syndrome. This is because the drugs are powerful and affect some nervous systems in a way they need a long time to recover. There's nothing wrong with the nervous systems, it's because these drugs have been misrepresented.

That brings me to one last thing- has anyone on this site use the road back program? I searched the site but could not find.

Yes, we have a note about it here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1371-no-recommendations-for-commercial-programs-to-assist-withdrawal/page__view__findpost__p__12620 It's not recommended.

Hi,zeppelin: you asked me a couple questions yesterday. About the alternative doctors treatments: I don't really know. I tend to think not. While I was taking the supplements, I continued being horribly anxious. His thinking was that as soon as I was off the ad, the nervousness would lighten up and things would improve. It turned out the anxiousness continued and at times was nearly unbearable. After I started reading some of the posts here from people I decided to slowly stop the supplements, too. The nervousness improved by 50-75 % . I haven't taken any supplement, vitamin, antihistamine, fish oil, etc. for a month. Now my days are a mixture of all the symptoms I had while on the ad, except muted and for more abbreviated times. Some days the predominate symptom is depression ,some days nausea some days nervousness. There always seems to be a healthy dose of dizziness thrown in,too. Doesnt sound like a lot better, does it? Whille I was on the ad, I had nausea so bad, I could hardly function. It went on from first thing in the morning until 5 or 6 in the afternoon, day after day. And then there was the issue with memory and thinking. I could hardly think and had memory so bad, I didn't remember what I had done seconds before. The memory and thinking really have improved in the last couple of months. So no, i don't plan on returning to the drugs. I really didn't get that much benefit from them while taking them and every time I think ,how can a synthetic chemical possibly correct an organic problem in my brain. I wasn't suffering a deficiency of remeron! My plans are to take each day as it comes, hoping for a good one here and there and trying to do different things every day ,things that I like doing that would help me feel better. I am not asking a lot out of myself right now. I'm trying to get comfortable with not having to produce something that validates my existence. It's enough just to be here right now. What kinds of symptoms are you having today? Maybe you should keep a journal of your symptoms day to day. I'm glad your depression is better today. Hang on and don't let go :)

Hi,zeppelin: you asked me a couple questions yesterday. About the alternative doctors treatments: I don't really know. I tend to think not. While I was taking the supplements, I continued being horribly anxious. His thinking was that as soon as I was off the ad, the nervousness would lighten up and things would improve. It turned out the anxiousness continued and at times was nearly unbearable. After I started reading some of the posts here from people I decided to slowly stop the supplements, too. The nervousness improved by 50-75 % . I haven't taken any supplement, vitamin, antihistamine, fish oil, etc. for a month. Now my days are a mixture of all the symptoms I had while on the ad, except muted and for more abbreviated times. Some days the predominate symptom is depression ,some days nausea some days nervousness. There always seems to be a healthy dose of dizziness thrown in,too. Doesnt sound like a lot better, does it? Whille I was on the ad, I had nausea so bad, I could hardly function. It went on from first thing in the morning until 5 or 6 in the afternoon, day after day. And then there was the issue with memory and thinking. I could hardly think and had memory so bad, I didn't remember what I had done seconds before. The memory and thinking really have improved in the last couple of months. So no, i don't plan on returning to the drugs. I really didn't get that much benefit from them while taking them and every time I think ,how can a synthetic chemical possibly correct an organic problem in my brain. I wasn't suffering a deficiency of remeron! My plans are to take each day as it comes, hoping for a good one here and there and trying to do different things every day ,things that I like doing that would help me feel better. I am not asking a lot out of myself right now. I'm trying to get comfortable with not having to produce something that validates my existence. It's enough just to be here right now. What kinds of symptoms are you having today? Maybe you should keep a journal of your symptoms day to day. I'm glad your depression is better today. Hang on and don't let go :)

Hello again,

did you try to start a personal conversation with me? I got a message about it but could not open it so idk what happened.

Anyways, I find it interesting that once you stopped the supplements from the alt doc that your anxiety lessened. What were you taking? Amino acids? I am taking some amino acids and if I stop the 5htp, then I begin to get depressed and anxious.Also i noticed that after the effects where off, I get brainzaps, not as near as bad as the Ad, but they are still noticeable. Not sure if that means it works or that my body is reliant on it now. I can say for sure that one supplement I take as needed helps a lot with anxiety. Its called sedaplex and has a combo of relaxing herbs and theanine.

My memory has also been severely affected by AD. It can be quite embarrassing at times bc when I meet up with old friends and they talk about things we did or things i did, I cannot remember. Seems like the AD wiped out some of my memories, especially childhood memories.

Today I have had a pretty good day. I noticed I was pretty anxious during the early part of the day. Its similar to before the Ad, so perhaps it does not have to do with the withdrawal. For example, when I get around some people I get anxious and nervous, especially when I have to perform something in front of people, even if its simple things. Likewise, I have days and times where I feel very uncomfortable around anyone and have no desire to talk. Its quite depressing bc I see my family and friends carrying on a normal conversation and living life while I sit back and stay quiet and dont say anything.

I will be starting neurofeedback soon. I already have done a few sessions with the other place before I quit going there bc the so called president wanted more money even though I had already paid so much. I will also start talk therapy with one of the university psychology departments. Its cheap and I think some good talk therapy will work. What I really need is to get my cogintive functioning up so I can graduate school, right now I am barely holding on to two classes as my focus is totally off and sometimes since I feel bad I cannot do school work and so I fall behind. Thats where the neurofeedback may help.

Hi Zepplin,

I wanted to provide a belated welcome to the forum.

As an FYI, I tapered my meds very slowly over a 4 year period and got off of them in June, 10. I am still dealing with horrific insomnia that may or may not be due to withdrawal as I have sinusitis.

But even if it is withdrawal related, in my opinion, things would have been alot worse if I had tapered too quickly. I knew from my past history that going off of meds too fast was a disaster.

Regarding supplements, I tried going off of them completely and realized that at I at least need a low dose of fish oil, a multivitamin, and cal/mag. But if I consume anything else, I am asking for trouble.

I did try a tryptophan based supplement for sleep and it caused tremendous fatigue.

I just think these drugs cause so much damage that it takes quite awhile to get back to normal.

It sounds like you are doing the right things.

CS

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

• Administrator

Zepp, if 5-HTP helps you, great. Keep taking it -- very consistently, don't jump around with your supplements.

You might try meditative breathing to help manage that anxiety around people. This is a great technique to gain self-control in any situation. We have several topics on it in the Symptoms section.

As I've said before, alternative practitioners don't know any more than regular doctors about what we're going through and they'll throw in whatever they have around to treat you. It's as irresponsible as anything you'll find in conventional medicine and not any wiser.

Watch out for anything that's hyped as a cure, alternative or otherwise, especially if it's overpriced.

Neurofeedback -- I'm not sure what this is. Maybe you can explain how they're going to do it?

I know biofeedback can be helpful, and there are responsible practitioners out there. I've also had good experiences with acupuncture -- but, as in everything, how well it works depends on the skill of the practitioner and how well he or she listens to you.

Hi Zepplin,

I wanted to provide a belated welcome to the forum.

As an FYI, I tapered my meds very slowly over a 4 year period and got off of them in June, 10. I am still dealing with horrific insomnia that may or may not be due to withdrawal as I have sinusitis.

But even if it is withdrawal related, in my opinion, things would have been alot worse if I had tapered too quickly. I knew from my past history that going off of meds too fast was a disaster.

Regarding supplements, I tried going off of them completely and realized that at I at least need a low dose of fish oil, a multivitamin, and cal/mag. But if I consume anything else, I am asking for trouble.

I did try a tryptophan based supplement for sleep and it caused tremendous fatigue.

I just think these drugs cause so much damage that it takes quite awhile to get back to normal.

It sounds like you are doing the right things.

CS

Hi there and thanks for your message.

Wow, four years? That is a very long time. Was your withdrawal relatively smooth since you tapered so slow? No doubt it is better to go slow, I did it fast at the request of the stupid doctor. They did give me an IV formula but that did not do anything for long-term withdrawal. Buy long term I mean only after a few weeks. I do think the IV helped a lot because I have only have a couple really bad days since getting off the drugs. I currently experience a steady feeling of anxiety and being on the edge. I will start neurofeedback and talk therapy in order to overcome these, so i hope that works.

I agree that the drugs cause some damage as the chemicals are toxic and foreign to our sensitive bodies. Almost every so called professional I have talked to says that meds and therapy are the best approach. I cant say for sure if this is, but I know from my experience that the drugs were ok for a while and them the side effects crept up on me and eventually made me become disillusioned with these whole drug approach. Further, I just dont beleive that these drugs are safe for long term use and why these doctors keep people on the drugs for years and years. I know that some people swear that these drugs have changed their lives. I have gotten into many hot debates and nasty arguments with people about the efficacy and safety of the drug approach and psychiatry in general. Seems like some of these people absolutely 100% believe that AD are great and that they cause no damage. This i do not understand because the potential dangers of the drugs are well documented and researched. Some of the side effects are never reported and many doctors fail to find a link between the drugs and illness created by them. What they do instead is just treat the new illness with the same approach- take this pill.

I continue to try and remain strong and its tough having to deal with life's stressors without the crutch of drugs. I just hope I did not make the wrong decision going off the drugs and that I can gain some stability back in my life and live a productive life. There is no doubt I have some serious issues with anxiety and this has engulfed much of my life.

Zepp, if 5-HTP helps you, great. Keep taking it -- very consistently, don't jump around with your supplements.

You might try meditative breathing to help manage that anxiety around people. This is a great technique to gain self-control in any situation. We have several topics on it in the Symptoms section.

As I've said before, alternative practitioners don't know any more than regular doctors about what we're going through and they'll throw in whatever they have around to treat you. It's as irresponsible as anything you'll find in conventional medicine and not any wiser.

Watch out for anything that's hyped as a cure, alternative or otherwise, especially if it's overpriced.

Neurofeedback -- I'm not sure what this is. Maybe you can explain how they're going to do it?

I know biofeedback can be helpful, and there are responsible practitioners out there. I've also had good experiences with acupuncture -- but, as in everything, how well it works depends on the skill of the practitioner and how well he or she listens to you.

I will continue to take the 5htp for now as well as my other supplements. I will see how I do on them. I know that the orthomolecular clinic wants to add some things to my compound as they are now saying I am undermethylated. The nurtients I take will hopefully cause no further problems if it turns out that I am in fact not this so called undermethylation thing.

Yes for sure meditation helps a lot, its just difficult to be consistent about it. I found that if I get pure, natural incense from Tibet, then I enjoy the mediation more and also look forward to it. I order my incense from bighappybuddha.com and they have some great, natural, hand rolled incense from Tibet. One I use is a healing incense that has some herbs in there.

Speaking of Tibet, I found a man who wrote a book on orthomolecular medicine and Tibet medicine. I found this very interesting as Tibetan medicine seems like a rather different approach. I know its not good to constantly always be looking for new treatment and this is one of my problems. I am sort of stuck in the moment and my days consist of trying to find ways to overcome my issues and this leads to spending hard earned money. At the same time, I know this is natural- I want to heal and feel better so searching for cures and doctors actually makes me feel better because it tells my subconscious "look your problems can be dealt with and cured". I should not focus so hard though on trying to find a cure or another doctor or another way because I keep reinforcing to myself that "hey you have a problem and you need help". Perhaps this is where the therapy will help. I just need to get unstuck and move on.

Neurofeedback has shown some promise to many folks ad you can read about it here: http://www.eeginfo.com. They start out by taking a QEEG of your brain which measures the brain wave electrical activity and then develop a plan based in your symptoms and readings. They train the brain to function in a different way. Many brain wave patterns have been found to be associated with anxiety, depression, ADHD, etc. I really want to try it because my cognition is poor and I seem to have a learning disability. i found a place that is a non-profit clinic and so I get the therapy at a reduced price. Lets hope i can see some positive changes.

Hi Zepp,

"Wow, four years? That is a very long time. Was your withdrawal relatively smooth since you tapered so slow? "

I would say it wasn't bad until I tapered my two sleep meds. Then in spite of tapering slowly, all h-ll broke loose due to having rebound insomnia.

I can't remember, did you try CBT as that is supposed to help with anxiety.

CS

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

Hi Zepp,

"Wow, four years? That is a very long time. Was your withdrawal relatively smooth since you tapered so slow? "

I would say it wasn't bad until I tapered my two sleep meds. Then in spite of tapering slowly, all h-ll broke loose due to having rebound insomnia.

I can't remember, did you try CBT as that is supposed to help with anxiety.

CS

I did try CBT, nothing long term though. I could never afford it and the places I could afford did not seem to do a good job. So, hopefully this therapist at the university will help me. The neurofeedback will hopefully help as well. Seems like there is good evidence to support its efficacy.

• Administrator

....Many brain wave patterns have been found to be associated with anxiety, depression, ADHD, etc....

Statements like this make me suspicious, Zepp, because they're nonsense. That Web site is clearly promotional. But the process does not seem invasive, and I guess it won't bankrupt you. I hope you find it makes you feel better.

No matter what happens, it will be a learning experience. You seem to have an inclination towards high-tech alternative therapies.

What we've found with withdrawal syndrome is it tends to make your system hypersensitive to all kinds of things. I'd be wary of adding a lot of supplements. We often find that more is not better.

Be careful to add one thing at a time. If it makes you sick, then you know which thing to stop. For example, if you do neurofeedback, don't add supplements at the same time. You won't know which helps or hurts. Do one thing at a time, at least a few days apart.

Yes, using techniques like meditation to manage symptoms can be hard work. Nothing about healing oneself is easy. I wish it were!

• 1 month later...

Been over two months now and I am still drug free! Still having some bad days but I did have a long period where I felt great. It was during my neurofeedback therapy. The therapy seems to help calm my mind; it seems to have helped reduce the racing, intruding thoughts. I had to stop after ten sessions, though, because it is Christmas time and I need to buy gifts. Also my car is old and needs some repairs because I cannot pass inspection so yea. Well I will start again. Anyways, at least I am drugs free!

• Administrator

Good news that you're doing better, Zepp! Happy holidays.

Thank you, likwise to you. I sent survivingantidepressants a little donation for the holidays!