wynninio: Paxil advice

wynninio

Hello everyone,

Glad to find this forum as I have been lost without advice and the GP is clueless. I am also a health care professional myself. So I was started on Seroxat/Paxil in 2001( 20mg ) and have been on it for over 16 years. Altering doses but hovered around 10mg on the liquid form for majority.

I then decided this year to taper and went too fast. I went from 10mg to 2mg in around 4 months. I then kind of crashed only a few weeks ago. I then upped my dose to 8mg and have been on that dose for 5 weeks. I still feel crap and all the initial ssri side effects of when I originally started. Horrific. 

My question is how long do I wait at 8mg to feel better or at least balance? My plan is to wait until week 8 and if no improvement up my dose to 12mg but its taking me in the wrong direction. I want to come off this drug.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated?? :rolleyes:

Edited by baroquep

Paxil/ Seroxat since 2001 (16 years) 

10mg since 2010

Tapered from 10mg February 2017 to 2mg until August 2017 (crashed)

Currently on 8mg

• ChessieCat changed the title to wynninio: Seroxat/Paxil advice
  • Administrator

Welcome, wynninio.

How has your symptom pattern changed since you increased to 8mg Paxll? What are the "initial ssri side effects" you feel? When do they occur relative to when you take Paxil each day?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thanks for your reply.

The symptoms seemed to increase to intense anxiety, nausea, sleep disruption, lack of appetite, no motivation, unable to work after upping the dose.  Since then the symptoms have calmed down but i'm still left with good and bad days, nausea, sleep disruption, no appetite and mild anxiety and thought it would have balanced by now after 5 weeks. I was wondering wether upping my dose would be effective to get me more functional again and then taper or do I sit it out?

The symptoms initially were straight away after taking the meds but I'm now seeming to feel better after taking the meds at night but feel rough early morning and mornings are a real struggle. What do you think? 

10mg since 2010

Currently on 8mg

• Administrator

If those are familiar Paxil side effects to you from your pre-withdrawal days, it could be that 8mg is too much for you.

Or are the Paxil start-up symptoms and your withdrawal symptoms the same? It sounds like things changed when you reinstated.

Going on and off drugs can make your nervous system hypersensitive to drugs, supplements, even some foods. A dosage that you were used to before might cause new upsets.

If I were you, I might try 7mg. Keep daily notes on paper of your symptoms, when you take your drugs, and their dosages.

If you feel a bit better, you'll know that you're going in the right direction.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi, Thanks for your advice. The symptoms definitely got worse when I went to 8mg. The withdrawl symptoms were not as bad as these. I only know from google that I appear to be having all the classic side effects of starting a ssri. 

I think you may be right as hypersensitivity maybe the culprit here. So you think increasing my dose would make things worse? I just assumed that an increase in dose would help stabilise me quicker and then I can taper when  ready? 

People have mentioned that because the drug is already in my system that upping dose would have minimal side effects but not sure thats the case?

thanks again 😊

10mg since 2010

Currently on 8mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Wynninio, When a person has become hypersensitive to these drugs, more is definitely not better.  Even in small doses, these drugs are very powerful.  As Alto mentioned, you might want to reduce your dose from 8mg to 7mg and see if that alleviates the increased symptoms.  It takes approximately four days for your body to register the change in dose, so please make sure that you keep daily notes on paper of your symptoms, when you take your drugs, and their dosages and let us know how you are doing.  Also see the attached link and pay particular attention to the text I've copied from the link below.

About Reinstating and Stabilizing to Reduce Withdrawal Symptoms

Additional reasons to reinstate only a partial dose
Reinstating at a low dose reduces the risk of severe adverse reactions in case reinstatement does not work.

• Experiencing withdrawal may have sensitized you to drugs and a larger dose will cause an adverse reaction.
  • These drugs are vastly more powerful than they need to be; often reinstatement at half dosage AT MOST is sufficient and many people do well with a lot less. You want to be taking only the lowest EFFECTIVE dose. 
  • Your receptors may have adjusted somewhat (upregulated) during the time you were tapering or had withdrawal symptoms.
  • If you can stabilize on a lower dose, you have less to taper when you finally do go off.
  • If you had adverse reactions while you were taking the drug, a low dose may not trigger the adverse reactions but still reduce withdrawal symptoms. Adverse reactions tend to be dosage-related: The higher the dose, the worse the reaction.

Edited by baroquep

Current Prescription Drugs for Hypothyroidism:  Synthroid 100mcg / Cytomel 5mcg (15 years Pristiq/Effexor)

Tapering Schedule
September 15, 2016 - switched from Pristiq 50mg to Effexor XR 75mg; November 10, 2016 - reduced to 67.5 Effexor XR
December 9, 2016 - reduced 60.75
January 5, 2017 - reduced 54.67
January 30, 2017 - reduced to 49.0
February 20, 2017 - reduced to 44.0 
May 20, 2017 - reduced to 40.25 (holding for additional month due to late onset of withdrawal symptoms after this taper)
July 17, 2017 - reduced to 38.24
August 15, 2017 - reduced to 37.5 (50% of my original dose)

October 15, 2017 - reduced to 35.6

November 12, 2017 - reduced to 33.8
December 15, 2017 - up-dose to 35.6
December 28, 2017 - up-dose to 37.5

Hi,

Thanks for the information. Very interesting. I can feel my body trying to rebslance itself and obviously when you are in the worst of it you just want a quicker route. I will see what the next couple of weeks bring and let you know.

Thank you for the support. 

10mg since 2010

Currently on 8mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Current Prescription Drugs for Hypothyroidism:  Synthroid 100mcg / Cytomel 5mcg (15 years Pristiq/Effexor)

Tapering Schedule
September 15, 2016 - switched from Pristiq 50mg to Effexor XR 75mg; November 10, 2016 - reduced to 67.5 Effexor XR
May 20, 2017 - reduced to 40.25 (holding for additional month due to late onset of withdrawal symptoms after this taper)

Thanks all. So the lesson here is to wait and lower my dose if anything and not increase?? It's great information as I wrongly thought that upping my dose would stabilise me quicker and alleviate symptoms but after reading the forum posts it appears updosing should be a last resort. 

Any other advice or links is greatly appreciated. 😊

10mg since 2010

Currently on 8mg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Has anyone had adverse reactions when changing the time of day when they take their medication? I changed from the evening to the morning for three days and this seemed to send me in to a few days of the old strong reactions I had initially. I crashed 8 weeks ago  when down to 1ml paxil and have been rebuilding since then. I stupidly upped my dose to 8mg initially as I had not found this form or advice. Lesson learned. 

So in short has anyone had reactions when changing their time of day when taking their meds or is this just because Im in a period of recent recovery?

Any advice appreciated. 

10mg since 2010

Currently on 8mg

• Moderator Emeritus

When changing dose time it is best to move it forward/back by 1 hour each day so that it is less of a shock to your CNS.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Oh wow, I have totally under estimated the impact. I probably shifted 12/13 hours. what an idiot. Oh well lesson learned.

Thank you for the information it's much appreciated. 

10mg since 2010

Currently on 8mg

Wynninio, I am also on Paxil and tapering off. Are you still on 8mg? Did you ever drop to 7 to see how your body reacts? And just as you, I learned the hard way that every small change can impact our systems. 

Meg

Sep '18 - became pregnant  in late August, then on 9/5 insomnia/anxiety went THROUGH the roof. I tried a lot of things but here is what is current: 

Paroxetine: 6.2mg (began 9/5/18, and there was a new manufacturer of which I just found out 2 days ago) during the day

Olanzapine 7.5mg at night

Ambien: 5-10mg at night

Xanex: 5-10mg at night

Fish Oil: for prenatal things

• Aug '18: Paroxetine 6.6mg, (30mg thyroid hormone, fish oil, vit D3, SBI protect, probiotic. Following AIP diet)
  • Mar '16: began taper from 20mg. Decreasing .75mg or less each month or more. Sporadically used Ambien &/or Trazodone for insomnia. 
  •  Sep'15: tried to come off slower. Used fish oil, vit D3, and regular exercise/healthy diet to assist. (Taper sched= 18mg for 60days, 15mg for 60d, 10mg for 30d, 8mg for 30d) At my 3rd week of 8mg in Nov '15, insomnia and panic attacks began. Back up to 20mg after a month of horrible withdrawal. 
  • Oct'12-Sep'15: 20mg Paxil
  • Sep'12: 1st attempt to get off, naively tried cold turkey per Dr. suggestion. Couldn't work for 2 months. Another Doc upped dose to 20mg.
  • Jun '09-Aug '12: 10mg Paxil for severe insomnia due to anxiety. Also took Ambien/Trazodone for sleep.  Other meds taken sporadically: Ativan, Abilify, Xyrem 

My hope is built on nothing less, than Jesus' blood and righteousness. 

1 hour ago, megb said:

Wynninio, I am also on Paxil and tapering off. Are you still on 8mg? Did you ever drop to 7 to see how your body reacts? And just as you, I learned the hard way that every small change can impact our systems. 

Meg

Hi Meg, I stayed on 8mg just to give my system a rest and not adjust too much. The adverse symptoms are slowly dying down so it makes sense to stay put for a while and then review. How are you getting on? 

10mg since 2010

Currently on 8mg

• Moderator Emeritus
On 2017-09-30 at 1:59 PM, wynninio said:

So the lesson here is to wait and lower my dose if anything and not increase??

Hi there, this was one of the lessons I learned fairly early on after running into trouble a couple of times.  Long holds are our friend and to make as few changes as possible.  For me, I would rather suffer through a bit of discomfort and do a longer hold rather than up-dose.  To me, up-dosing, would mean that my CNS has to make an additional adjustment to accommodate the up-dose.  For me anyway, you may find that something else works for you, but in my situation, I feel it's best to "stress" the CNS only once with a change (at the time of decrease) and to only up-dose when it's an absolute necessity.  

Tapering Schedule

That is a wise decision to stabilize before making any other changes, well done you! I'm getting on well at the moment, which is a huge blessing. This is my 3rd taper and most successful so far. I've gone from 20 to 10mg in almost two years. In my calculations I will be done in another 7 years. I plan to hold my current dose for 6 months total. 

Luckily, I am sleeping great and have a wonderful support system :) Keep trucking along!! Time and patience is key (not easy though!)

Meg

Sep '18 - became pregnant  in late August, then on 9/5 insomnia/anxiety went THROUGH the roof. I tried a lot of things but here is what is current: 

Paroxetine: 6.2mg (began 9/5/18, and there was a new manufacturer of which I just found out 2 days ago) during the day

Olanzapine 7.5mg at night

Ambien: 5-10mg at night

Xanex: 5-10mg at night

Fish Oil: for prenatal things

• Aug '18: Paroxetine 6.6mg, (30mg thyroid hormone, fish oil, vit D3, SBI protect, probiotic. Following AIP diet)
  • Mar '16: began taper from 20mg. Decreasing .75mg or less each month or more. Sporadically used Ambien &/or Trazodone for insomnia. 
  •  Sep'15: tried to come off slower. Used fish oil, vit D3, and regular exercise/healthy diet to assist. (Taper sched= 18mg for 60days, 15mg for 60d, 10mg for 30d, 8mg for 30d) At my 3rd week of 8mg in Nov '15, insomnia and panic attacks began. Back up to 20mg after a month of horrible withdrawal. 
  • Oct'12-Sep'15: 20mg Paxil
  • Sep'12: 1st attempt to get off, naively tried cold turkey per Dr. suggestion. Couldn't work for 2 months. Another Doc upped dose to 20mg.
  • Jun '09-Aug '12: 10mg Paxil for severe insomnia due to anxiety. Also took Ambien/Trazodone for sleep.  Other meds taken sporadically: Ativan, Abilify, Xyrem 

My hope is built on nothing less, than Jesus' blood and righteousness. 

Hi Meg,

Yes I managed to get down to 2.5mg and was fairly stable. I went at a quick pace too and was still ok and I have been on 16 years. So there is definitely hope. This is my first withdrawal episode experienced and as such I have taken time out of work. I work as a critical care paramedic so stress is part of the job :) . Do whatever you are comfortable with. I am still healing and getting better but have learned so much from this forum. 

I have realised the importance of patience and stability. Maybe its the metaphor for life :)  

Keep on truckin. 

10mg since 2010

Currently on 8mg

Hi wynninio, my goodness, you're doing a great job maintaining your dose and not making any further changes - you're dead right, stabilising is your best taper friend right now. Plenty of us read about stabilising, but then kind of fail when it comes to putting it into practice, especially when we're in distress and desperate for relief.

Are you still on a break from work? Love your attitude to self-care!!! xxxmollyn

Drug history

• 20mg paxil in 2001 - 4 months use  
  • 20mg paxil in 2003 - 2 months use 
  • 20mg paxil in 2008 - 8 years continuous

Withdrawal history:

• March 2014 - disastrous alternate day taper
  • Jan 2015 - 15mg to 10mg. Disaster
  • Sept 2015 -  10mg to 5mg. Disaster. Reinstated to 6mg. Relief
  • Oct 2015 - started slow 10% taper 
  • Oct 2016 - at 4mg- stop taking paxil (not recommended)

I'm not a medical professional. Seek advice from a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

21 minutes ago, MollyN said:

Hi wynninio, my goodness, you're doing a great job maintaining your dose and not making any further changes - you're dead right, stabilising is your best taper friend right now. Plenty of us read about stabilising, but then kind of fail when it comes to putting it into practice, especially when we're in distress and desperate for relief.

Are you still on a break from work? Love your attitude to self-care!!! xxxmollyn

Hi Molly,  oh Auckland I stayed in Ponsonby for a few months in 2001 :) I also travelled around NZ. I love NZ. Yeh my ego got in the way and I was pushing to just get off the drug. This has been 9 weeks of hell all because I did not have the knowledge. I went from 2mg to 8mg and suffered adverse effects due to the hypersensitivity. I am still not right and taking my time to heal but it has been tough. I have only had 5 weeks from work so far and i get full pay for six months so I am putting my self first for a change :) . I so want to be off this drug but I have learnt that slow and steady wins the race. Did you often find relief by lowering your dose rather than upping?

10mg since 2010

Currently on 8mg

Paxil is such a nightmare, honestly, I was astounded by how powerful it was. 2, 4, 8mg: those seemed such small figures, alas no. I'm delighted to hear you have 6mths break up your sleeve - that's wonderful (and hard won I'm sure over your years of service).

If you feel like you might be stabilising on the 8mg now, then perhaps stay on it for the 4 weeks as per the suggested taper. Otherwise, there is the option to drop to 7.5mg perhaps, then hold there. Really you'll be guided by how you feel, and don't forget the windows and waves of recovery we experience, so if you find yourself feeling quite good, followed by a period of feeling horrible, that's quite normal (although not much fun!). Here's a discussion of this experience if you'd like to learn more. The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Personally, I took big cuts in the drug in the early days - 15 to 10mg was horrendous - I don't need to describe it to you! When I dropped from 10 to 5mg, it was appalling. Alto suggested updosing to 6ml - just that one little milligram made the world of difference and within hours I was back to paxil normal. When I tapered at 10% of the last dose I did really really well, barely noticed a thing.

So glad you enjoyed it here, travel is such a blast! Ponsonby is where the cool cats hang, I'm in the less salubrious, but much quieter west of the city :) You're welcome anytime! xxxmollyn

Drug history

Withdrawal history:

I'm not a medical professional. Seek advice from a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

Hello All,

I'm very grateful for this forum and advice. A quick question. I started withdrawing from 2mg paxil in August and had not found this forum then so felt so bad that I upped my dose to 8mg. I am now close to 10 weeks at 8mg and it has been a rough ride. Early weeks were unbearable anxiety, sleep loss, weight loss etc. I am now feeling marginally better but still stuck with low mood, waves and windows type emotions along with when will this end type scenarios.

Do I up dose to 9mg to see if that helps?

Do I down dose to 7mg to see if that helps?

Do I ride it out and hope it passes?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as at times I feel lost.

Regards, 

10mg since 2010

Currently on 8mg

Hi wynninio,

I've just merged the new thread you started into your original one, it's easier if we keep it to one journal per person so any questions, advice, details are in the one place, hope you don't mind.

It sounds like you're not feeling great, sadly that's to be expected when we withdraw from paxil quickly - it's one heck of a drug. I'm glad that you have experienced some let up in those initial strong symptoms and that you've got an understanding of the windows and waves pattern. You will heal, but it does take time and careful tapering from here on in.

You mention having held nearly 10 weeks at 8mg, you may consider starting your reduction taper of 10% of that dose, or alternatively you could consider that you are stabilising after a period of change and that to give your brain time to adjust properly, this might be a time to stay where you are, especially considering you are finding those acute symptoms are lessening. I do know it's hard and we all want to feel better sooner rather than later, but honestly, the slower you can manage to do all this, the more successful your taper will be. 

During this time of stabilisation and tapering, it's a great time to develop and enhance your self-care toolkit. I found the stuff that worked to reduce my anger/fear/anxiety (for me: qi gong, EFT tapping, simple yoga poses) by trial and error and desperation! I'll add some links below to discussions on here around what different people found useful, it's so individual. I guess it's about trying things when you are feeling distressed or low that get you through the day. 

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

Magnesium

Omega-3 fish oil

Here's also a discussion on Emotional Spirals that might be helpful. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Big hugs xxxmollyn

Drug history

Withdrawal history:

• ChessieCat changed the title to wynninio: Paxil advice

Hi Molly,

No problem at all. Thanks for the advice :)  Yeh I feel it's the frustration of time frames that is my biggest concern so you start looking at quick fixes and maybe its the realisation that it will just take as long as it takes. 

Hugs 

10mg since 2010

Currently on 8mg

You got it in one!! Absolutely agree with you! For me it was quick fixes that got me into this pickle with drugs in the first place: wanting to feel better, wanting not to feel upset or stressed or unable to cope.

I wish so much I could have been offered rest, care and many cups of tea, wrapped in a soft blanket on the couch rather than a prescription for a drug that would hold me in its grasp for years to come. Now, when I feel bad, I know it's only up to me to deal with that. So I try and use the soothing techniques I've learnt during the chaos of withdrawal. I often do them poorly, but something about the attempt seems to take the edge off enough to see the light. I do so wish you all best during this special time when you can focus on yourself and caring for yourself, since you obviously have spent a great deal of time caring for others.

xxxmollyn

Drug history

Withdrawal history:

Hi Molly,

yeh I understand. The lesson I have learned here has been the chemical reactions in my body that I was never truly aware of. I separate the two between my true organic emotions and the med induced emotions. Lines can become a bit blurred obviously but trying to keep the two under check can help when in the midst of a storm. Thank-you for your kind words.

Hugs xxxx

10mg since 2010

Currently on 8mg

I could learn a lot from you!  I'm still rubbish at distinguishing between these two! xxx

Drug history

Withdrawal history:

• 2 months later...

Any update?

Have you stabilised on the 8mg

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

14 hours ago, nz11 said:

Any update?

Have you stabilised on the 8mg

Hello mate,

Well what a journey. I am four months in and still struggling. Nowhere near as bad as the initial few weeks. I now seem to be trapped in the windows and waves which are currently at about 50/50 so one week window and one week wave. The waves are much less intense but when in a wave i suffer from nausea, low mood, lethargy and the fear (Will I always be like this) Ive taken complete time away from work. (very stressful job with bully boss and no support) and tried to show myself some compassion and TLC. I never realised how strong this drug was, totally underestimated. Thank God I learned about windows and waves on here or I would have been so scared.  How are you doing? What's your story with paxil?

Also in hindsight I would have stabilised at 3mg and not 8mg but I had not found this forum then. I'm looking at the six month mark, so March to see where I am at and what the next steps are. Its been really tough but time is the healer so they say.

Best wishes

10mg since 2010

Currently on 8mg

Thanks for taking the time to update Wyn.

I see you are remaining positive and that's something during this rollercoaster ride.

I was a little like you long term paxil user then tapered from 20 to 5 all hell broke loose and I thought things couldn't get worse so I jumped off. 7 years later still recovering!

Look forward to reading the march update.

Hang in there.

nz11 

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

• 3 months later...

So it took over six months to recover from the crash and horrendous side effects. So I start my journey again. I'm currently on 8mg paxil and have decided to try 5% reductions every four weeks. Today is day one. Wish me luck and I will keep you updated :)

I may also write a post about my theory on repressed emotions caused by the use of SSRI's and that some of the side effects are also a mixture of never actually fully expressing emotions as they are meant to be expressed. I'll save that for a rainy day.

Hope everyone is safe and taking it slowly. Big love. 

10mg since 2010

Currently on 8mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi wynninio, ,

Yes, please keep us updated. 5% is the way to go after a big crash.

I’m so glad you’ve come out of the crash.

Take it slow and if you need to hold more than four weeks. Sometimes the tapering sneaks up on us even after four weeks. 

Tapering from 10mg to 2mg in about seven months or so  is really quick. I’m soooo glad you’ve come out of the crash.

Wishing you all the best in this slower taper xx

Seroquel. 2019:➡️ From 7.25mg to 5.80mg✔️ 2020➡️From 5.60 to 4.80✔️ 2021➡️From 4.60 to 4.0✔️ 2022➡️From 3.95 to 3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️
2024➡️Jan15=3.20✔️ Feb19=3.15✔️ March26=3.10✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

• Moderator Emeritus

Glad to see you have recovered.  Your taper plan looks good.  Remember you can always hold a bit longer if you need to.  I believe SSRIs repress a lot of things -  emotions and thoughts and the difficult parts of ourselves.  Then when we taper off them, these parts can bounce back and hit us quite strongly.

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2004-2008  paroxetine (various failed tapers) 
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct 15mg … slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg
2019  15 Mar 3.6mg  21 May 3.4mg  26 Dec 3.2mg 

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

2021   29 Aug 2.4mg   15 Nov 2.3mg