SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Hellbutrin: Wellbutrin nightmare - advice welcome

Hellbutrin

8 minutes ago, Hellbutrin said:

Do you think given my current state that i would be better off reinstating and tapering slowly off over a number of years?

If you feel like you can’t handle it you could try to reinstate a very very low dose to try to see if it helps. If that works and you feel better, add more to get to a comfortable dose then taper off extremely slowly.

2005-2015 sertaline, 2015 to November 2018 escatalopram. Used liquid titration to drop doses. By 0.5mg at first then drops as small as 0.01mg at end of taper. Jumped of at 0.02mg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus
On 4/19/2018 at 7:47 PM, Hellbutrin said:

Do you think given my current state that i would be better off reinstating and tapering slowly off over a number of years?

If you're interested in learning more about reinstatement, here is a link about it. Keep in mind that you're now several months out from your rapid taper, 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/7562-about-reinstating-and-stabilizing-to-reduce-withdrawal-symptoms/

2020: After 18+ years (entire adult life) on Paxil, a dangerous doctor-led "taper" in 2015, and four years tapering off the last 1 mg thanks to SA and the Brassmonkey slide, 

I AM COMPLETELY FREE OF PAXIL! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! Forever.

2021: Began conservative, proper, CNS-respecting taper of Zoloft, led by the only expert on me -- me. Making own liquid. 5-10% plus holds.

2022: Holding on Zoloft for now. Current dose 47 mg. Hanging in, hanging on. Severe protracted PAWS, windows and waves. While I may not be doing "a lot" by outside standards, things are graaaaadually getting better

Yoga (gentle to medium); walks; daily breath practice; nutrition, fruits/veg; nature; water; EastEnders (lol); practicing self-compassion, self-care; boundaries; connection; allowing feelings; t r u s t ing that I, too, will heal. (--> may need to be reminded of this.)

"You are not alone, and this is not the end of your story." - Baylissa

20 hours ago, SkyBlue said:

If you're interested in learning more about reinstatement, here is a link about it. Keep in mind that you're now several months out from your rapid taper, 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/7562-about-reinstating-and-stabilizing-to-reduce-withdrawal-symptoms/

Right, that is my main concern. But I'm also worried that this withdrawal could possibly be doing further damage to my brain. I feel like I'm getting steadily worse. My baseline is not getting any better. I'm almost at 10 months post C/T, so I don't know how I will handle it if I continue to get worse. I'm also not sure why I seem to get steadily worse, from most of the accounts I've read, base lines are supposed to get better over time. I feel like I'm some sort of anomaly... But I guess everyone that goes through this probably feels like that to some extent... Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it.

1. Started Wellbutrin 75 mg IR the end of 2015.
  2. Tried quitting cold turkey in June 30th- July 3rd 2017.
  3. Had severe withdrawals.
  4. Was placed on Wellbutrin 100mg SR so I could taper without withdrawal.
  5. Stabilized on 100mg SR for most of the month of July.
  6. Started tapering on July 17th,  2017.
  7. Completed taper on August 8th, 2017.
  8. Currently experiencing severe withdrawal.
  • Symptoms- Currently experiencing anhedonia, depersonalization/derealization, concentration/memory issues, chronic congestion, chronic dry eyes, dry skin, dislocated TMJ joint from teeth grinding during C/T withdrawal, waves of depression, anxiety, nausea, morning cortisol spikes, insomnia, agitation, food sensitivities, no tolerance for caffeine and chronic fatigue, burning muscle pain in upper and lower back and occasional tinninitus.
  • Supplements- Omega-3 fish oil supplement twice daily, 100 mg of magnesium once daily. 
  • Administrator
On 4/16/2018 at 3:08 PM, Hellbutrin said:

It's the most bizarre thing. I haven't had a menstrual cycle for the last three months in a row and I've been in withdrawal for 9 months. I'm wondering if this is normal and if this is just one of the many areas of my body's biological clock that has been ravaged by withdrawal. It's frustrating not knowing if I should worry about this or not, I'm only 28 so there's no reason that my cycles should have stopped all of a sudden..

Are you eating regularly? Is there any possibility you might be pregnant?

On 4/19/2018 at 4:02 PM, Hellbutrin said:

Hi Altostrata,

What would you recommend for people that are in my situation?

I tried to taper off of Wellbutrin 9 months ago by skipping days for three weeks, obviously this was not nearly long enough for a "taper" and my doctor told me to taper by skipping doses, which obviously made my situation worse. I'm terrified that I might have permanently destabilized my nervous system. I haven't had ANY windows in the 9 months since I quit taking the medication. On bay days I'm suicidal and on good days I feel like hell. I still have all of the classic withdrawal symptoms such as anhedonia, memory loss, lack of ability to concentrate on anything, depression and anxiety, head pressure, muscle burning and intrusive thoughts. None of which did I have prior to quitting the medication, I started taking Wellbutrin for some mild anxiety that I was having at school, and now I'm here. I've been seeing frequent reports of individuals who end up in protracted withdrawal for years, and in some cases permanently. I know that typically these are cases of individuals who had been taking the medication at high doses for decades, and I was only taking the lowest dosage of mine for less than two years. But I feel like with how extreme my reactions have been so far, that I could end up being one of those lucky few that gets stuck like this. I know that this is a negative way to think, but I want to be prepared for how I'm going to handle this. I don't want to reinstate, and I don't want to ever take another psychiatric drug ever again. But I'm starting to wonder if I need to start thinking about some other options since I'm this far into withdrawal and I feel like I'm getting worse. 

Hellbutrin, you've been wavering on reinstatement since last August. Are you at a point where you might as well give it a try?

Have you had problems with health anxiety in the past?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

13 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Are you eating regularly? Is there any possibility you might be pregnant?

Hellbutrin, you've been wavering on reinstatement since last August. Are you at a point where you might as well give it a try?

Have you had problems with health anxiety in the past?

Hi Alto,

Yes, I’m eating regularly and no there’s no chance I could be pregnant, I’m abstinent.

I have a lot of significant concerns about reinstatement. I tried it about 5 days after when I first C/T, my plan was to reinstate and then taper off much slowly. But I ended up doing a rapid taper of only a few weeks because the reinstatement didn’t help. I also read your excerpt about reinstatement, and you said that sometimes it can go paradoxical, that’s pretty much the main thing that’s keeping me from trying it. I know you say we all eventually heal, but I’m so concerned that I haven’t seen any improvement in my symptoms yet. 

The only symptom that that seems to have improved is my sleep. I’m consistently getting around 5-6 hours per night, and have been for most nights the last 2 months. The other mental symptoms have stayed pretty much the same, or gotten steadily worse.

I’ve had significant health anxiety since my C/T, but I never had it prior to using psych drugs, or while using them. 

Thanks for your feedback, sorry I’m a downer, I can tell my posts frustrate you. I genuinely do try not to post that often. If I posted as often as I had a question I’d be posting multiple times per day. Thanks for all that you do, this forum is a life saver.

• Symptoms- Currently experiencing anhedonia, depersonalization/derealization, concentration/memory issues, chronic congestion, chronic dry eyes, dry skin, dislocated TMJ joint from teeth grinding during C/T withdrawal, waves of depression, anxiety, nausea, morning cortisol spikes, insomnia, agitation, food sensitivities, no tolerance for caffeine and chronic fatigue, burning muscle pain in upper and lower back and occasional tinninitus.
  • Supplements- Omega-3 fish oil supplement twice daily, 100 mg of magnesium once daily. 
  • Administrator

You've been seeking certainty about reinstatement, how long will this last, etc. Believe me, if we could give you definite answers, we would.

As we've said before, there are no guarantees regarding reinstatement. However, it does seem to help a lot of people, and we recommend very small test doses to limit any adverse effects. That's all the assurance we can give. The decision is up to you.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

2 hours ago, Altostrata said:

You've been seeking certainty about reinstatement, how long will this last, etc. Believe me, if we could give you definite answers, we would.

As we've said before, there are no guarantees regarding reinstatement. However, it does seem to help a lot of people, and we recommend very small test doses to limit any adverse effects. That's all the assurance we can give. The decision is up to you.

If I attempt to try reinstatement is there a chance that if it fails I will be set back in the progress that I've made so far if I have to stop taking it again?

• Administrator

If you have an adverse reaction to reinstatement, it will take some time for you to recover from that.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been having localized headaches and an extremely itchy scalp for the past few days. I don't have a dry scalp or anything like that, so I'm wondering if this could be a sign that my brain is trying to heal itself. Somewhere akin to a healing injury starting to itch when it starts healing. Anyone have familiarity with this particular symptom? At 10.5 months post C/T, new symptoms seem to pop up everyday. 

• Administrator

The itching is probably something you're putting on your hair. Are you itchy anywhere else?

Your brain does not express itself through your scalp. The headaches could be withdrawal-related. Are you light-sensitive? Do you have allergies?

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/23/2018 at 4:09 PM, Altostrata said:

The itching is probably something you're putting on your hair. Are you itchy anywhere else?

Your brain does not express itself through your scalp. The headaches could be withdrawal-related. Are you light-sensitive? Do you have allergies?

Hi Alto,

Sorry, I just came back to my introduction topic and realized that you had left a posting, but it didn't alert me for some reason.

I haven't changed my shampoo or anything like that, so I don't know if it's something I put in my hair, I guess I could be developing a sensitivity to the shampoo I normally use. 

I don't have any allergies that I know of,  but I used to be able to eat extremely spicy food and now I can't eat anything even remotely spicy.

I have developed light sensitivity since being withdrawal that I didn't have before. I think it could partially be because I rarely go outdoors anymore unless I'm in a car so my eyes don't get a lot of bright light exposure. 

• Administrator

If you're light-sensitive, you could get headaches from too much light. Wearing dark glasses can help.

Can anyone direct me to success stories from people that recovered from dopaminergic agonist drugs like Wellbutrin? I’ve read so many and could really use some encouragement.

• Administrator

Hellbutrin, you've asked some version of this question a million times. The answer is still the same. Please use search in Introductions.

• Mentor

I haven't gone through your thread, so I don't know if anyone has sent you this link.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/forum/28-success-stories-recovery-from-withdrawal/

Rachel

I am not a health professional in any way.  I do not give medical advice.   Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a professional medical practitioner.

NEW INFORMATION FOR GABAPENTIN TAPER

April 29, 2022 900 mg to 800 mg (11%), May 29, 2022 800 to 700 mg (12.5%), June 20, 2022 700 to 650mg (8%), July 20, 2022 650 to 575 (12%), August 20,  575 to 500 (13%),  Sept 20, 2020 500 to 475mg (5%) Nov 7, 2022 475 to 425 (11%), Nov 21, 2022 500mg

Medications: Gabapentin, Prednisone 1.5mg a day, Cortisol Inhaler daily. 

HISTORY FOR ZOLOFT TAPER

Feb. 2016 to June 2016  - Was on 150mg Zoloft.  Put on Gabapentin at 900mg a day in 2016 due to antidepressant withdrawal. 

Quit Zoloft (Sertraline) June  2016,  reinstated 50mg of Zoloft July 2016.  From July 2016  to October 2016 went from 50 mg down 2.3 mg. I up-dosed in November 2016 to 12.5 mg. Held there until January 2017 when I started a much slower taper.

STARTING SENSIBLE  ZOLOFT TAPERING USING GUIDELINES FROM THIS SITE

Dec. 10 2016  - switched to Liquid Zoloft (Sertraline) @ 12.5 mg.   Jan. 4, 2020 1.875 mg (6.3%). Jan. 25, 2020 1.75 mgFeb. 29, 2020 1.625mg (7.10%).  Apr. 4, 2020 1.5 mg.  May 9, 2020 1.375 mg.  June 6, 2020 1.25 mg. (9.10%).  July 4, 2020 1.125 mg. (10%).  August 15, 2020 1.0 mg.  Oct 24, 2020 .875 mg.  Nov. 28, 2020 .75mgJan 16, 2021 .685mg (8.7%).  Feb 13, 2021 .62mg. March 12, 2021 .56mg.  May 1, 2021 .375mg.  May 29, 2021 .25mg. June 26, 2021 .0125mg. July 25, 2021 .065mg. August 22, 2021 .048mg.  October 2, 2021 .043mg.  October 10, 2021 .038mg.  October 23, 2021 .035mg.  October 30, 2021 .032mg.  Nov. 13, 2021 .030 mg.  Dec 4, 2021 .0285 mg.  Dec 11, 2021 .0265 mg. Dec 18, 2021 .0246 mg. Dec 25, 2021 .023mg. Jan 1, 2022. 0 mg. OFF COMPLETELY

1 hour ago, Altostrata said:

Hellbutrin, you've asked some version of this question a million times. The answer is still the same. Please use search in Introductions.

I’m starting to feel unwelcome from posting questions.

Edited by ChessieCat
extracted response
1 hour ago, RachelSusan said:

I haven't gone through your thread, so I don't know if anyone has sent you this link.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/forum/28-success-stories-recovery-from-withdrawal/

Rachel

Thanks RachelSusan,

Yes, I’ve read through many of the success stories. I just wanted to see if anyone could direct me to specific success stories from people who had been on dopaminergic drugs and recovered. 

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, Altostrata said:

you've asked some version of this question a million times.

36 minutes ago, Hellbutrin said:

I’m starting to feel unwelcome from posting questions.

Asking questions is okay.  It's when members keep asking the same question over and over again after the question has been answered that it becomes extremely frustrating.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Administrator

1) Wellbutrin is not a particularly dopaminergic drug; 2) We have a lot of people tapering Wellbutrin, why isn't that information convincing to you?

One thing about going off psychiatric drugs, if you want to believe you're forever damaged, thinking will make it so.

We would not be working so hard to get people off drugs if they never recovered, there would be no point to it.

What you want to know is what's in your future, and nobody can answer that in any way that's definite.

Have you reduced stimulation from light to reduce your light sensitivity? Small things like this can help your system settle down. Food sensitivities alone could be responsible for itching and other symptoms; you might go on a low-irritation diet. Pain in upper back and arms could be from too much computer use (physical therapy, exercise, acupuncture, chiropractic can help).

Have you looked carefully at the topics here Important topics about symptoms, including sleep problems to see which might apply to you?

PS This is a big win

The only symptom that that seems to have improved is my sleep. I’m consistently getting around 5-6 hours per night, and have been for most nights the last 2 months.

On 6/3/2018 at 7:31 PM, Altostrata said:

1) Wellbutrin is not a particularly dopaminergic drug; 2) We have a lot of people tapering Wellbutrin, why isn't that information convincing to you?

One thing about going off psychiatric drugs, if you want to believe you're forever damaged, thinking will make it so.

We would not be working so hard to get people off drugs if they never recovered, there would be no point to it.

What you want to know is what's in your future, and nobody can answer that in any way that's definite.

Have you reduced stimulation from light to reduce your light sensitivity? Small things like this can help your system settle down. Food sensitivities alone could be responsible for itching and other symptoms; you might go on a low-irritation diet. Pain in upper back and arms could be from too much computer use (physical therapy, exercise, acupuncture, chiropractic can help).

Have you looked carefully at the topics here Important topics about symptoms, including sleep problems to see which might apply to you?

PS This is a big win

1.) I think I'm slightly confused on the exact way that Wellbutrin reconfigures the brain if it doesn't directly impact dopamine. I thought that was the main mechanism for action for how it worked. 

2.) I know there are a lot people tapering Wellbutrin, but all of the one's that I've seen that have tapered Wellbutrin have also been working through tapers with additional drugs. So I can't understand how I am having such an extreme withdrawal. I know everyone must feel that way. 

I appreciate your patience, I assure you I'm not normally so testy. 

• Administrator

You're situation is not unprecedented. You need to get serious about self-care. See links above.

Your assumptions about Wellbutrin's poorly understood multi-modal action are incorrect. Any way, how it works is irrelevant to you, it's in your past.

You do not have a dopamine problem. Read this again What is withdrawal syndrome?

Please review all the responses that have been given to your questions in this topic.

Hellbutrin, I too am getting healthy after going off Welbutrin 300xl. I was on it for 8 years. I just hit the 1 year mark and I have made progress but it is VERY slow. My most severe symptoms are, constant dizziness, occasional vertigo and a brain that feels like all of the circuits are completely disconnected. 

What I have found that helps, is constant reminders to myself, that this too shall pass and that I have to take it one day at a time and, sometimes, I hour at a time. I tell myself that every hour could be different and my symptoms may get better, even if for a short time. I do walk my dogs every morning and I tell myself that one day I will take this walk and feel normal and healthy and I know that will be true. I do some form of exercise every day as well. Some days it isn't much but I make myself do something. 

I have had windows and waves but have never had a window that was symptom free. I do thank God for life and being able to get through each and every day. I have to stay positive. Don't get me wrong, I have had many days of boo hooing but then I have to kick myself and get back on track. 

Started Wellbutrin 300xl mid July, 2009. Stopped Wellbutrin 300xl cold turkey May 8, 2017

Started having symptoms started June 2, 2017. Started Wellbutrin 150xl July 7, 2017

Started Remeron 15mg August 15, 2017. Increased Remeron to 30mg October 4, 2017

Increased Wellbutrin to 300xl November 24, 2017. Lowered Wellbutrin 300xl back to 150xl January 8, 2018

Started weaning off of Remeron 30mg. Cut to 22.25mg January 11, 2018

Cut Remeron to 15mg January 18, 2018 Cut Remeron to 7.5mg January 25, 2018

Cut Remeron to 3.5mg January 30,2018. Stopped taking Remeron February 1, 2018

Currently taking: Fish Oil, Magnesium, Calcium, Vit D, Progesterone,

Hormone Replacement Pellets-Estrogen Testosterone 

Hi . I just hit my 1 year mark free of the drugs. While I have made improvements, I still struggle every day and still have a lot of symptoms. That said, I do go through each day as I would have normally. I tell myself I will get better and one day this will all be behind me. 

You have to really focus on taking each day, one at a time. There are even days when I take it one hour at a time. Telling myself that the next hour will be better. 

Hope this helps. 

Started Wellbutrin 300xl mid July, 2009. Stopped Wellbutrin 300xl cold turkey May 8, 2017

Started having symptoms started June 2, 2017. Started Wellbutrin 150xl July 7, 2017

Started Remeron 15mg August 15, 2017. Increased Remeron to 30mg October 4, 2017

Increased Wellbutrin to 300xl November 24, 2017. Lowered Wellbutrin 300xl back to 150xl January 8, 2018

Started weaning off of Remeron 30mg. Cut to 22.25mg January 11, 2018

Cut Remeron to 15mg January 18, 2018 Cut Remeron to 7.5mg January 25, 2018

Cut Remeron to 3.5mg January 30,2018. Stopped taking Remeron February 1, 2018

Currently taking: Fish Oil, Magnesium, Calcium, Vit D, Progesterone,

Hormone Replacement Pellets-Estrogen Testosterone 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Hellbutrin, I've just moved one of your posts and reply from Mirage to your introduction topic from the head noise topic as they are about your particular situation.

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2004-2008  paroxetine (various failed tapers) 
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct 15mg … slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg
2019  15 Mar 3.6mg  21 May 3.4mg  26 Dec 3.2mg 

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

2021   29 Aug 2.4mg   15 Nov 2.3mg

• 4 weeks later...

I know I'm not supposed to post negative posts, but this is my introduction topic. Today is one year since my C/T, and I wish I felt better. The anxiety has abated some, but I still have no ability to feel emotions other than terror, my memory is still significantly impaired to the point that I can't remember anything further back than yesterday, and I have constant dark depression. I hope this next year will end in me feeling at least a little better than this. I can't do this for another year. I've seen no progress this year except getting more used to feel horrible all the time. 

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Hellbutrin said:

I've seen no progress this year except getting more used to feel horrible all the time. 

This is not true. You said the anxiety has abated.

As we have explained, emotional anesthesia is a common result of taking these drugs. When we say it very gradually goes away over a long time, we mean years, not weeks.

I am sorry your recovery is not progressing as fast as you like, but your exaggerating the negativity does not help it along. Please do not use the privilege of posting here to hurt yourself. Are you seeing a counselor face to face? You should address your tendency to extreme negativity with this person.

How much fish oil and magnesium are you taking, at what times of day and in what dosages? How is your sleep?

19 hours ago, Altostrata said:

This is not true. You said the anxiety has abated.

As we have explained, emotional anesthesia is a common result of taking these drugs. When we say it very gradually goes away over a long time, we mean years, not weeks.

I am sorry your recovery is not progressing as fast as you like, but your exaggerating the negativity does not help it along. Please do not use the privilege of posting here to hurt yourself. Are you seeing a counselor face to face? You should address your tendency to extreme negativity with this person.

How much fish oil and magnesium are you taking, at what times of day and in what dosages? How is your sleep?

My sleep is around 5 hours per night give or take. I'm still taking fish oil everyday at 500 mg, but I'm not sure if it's helping. I haven't taken magnesium in a while because it was giving me pretty bad stomach aches

• Administrator

How much magnesium were you taking at one time?

13 hours ago, Altostrata said:

How much magnesium were you taking at one time?

I was taking 100 mg at night

• Administrator

What kind of magnesium? Taking 50mg at a time might be more tolerable.

Magnesium glycinate is less likely to cause stomach upset.

On 7/3/2018 at 12:26 PM, Altostrata said:

What kind of magnesium? Taking 50mg at a time might be more tolerable.

Magnesium glycinate is less likely to cause stomach upset.

I used the magnesium chelate. Sorry, I didn’t get a notification about this posting. 

Can I ask a general question about the depression that’s associated with withdrawal? 

This is is a symptom that I still struggle with that hasn’t changed. Does depression tend to stick around long term from a C/T? 

• Moderator Emeritus

Instead of asking this question I think it would be more helpful to learn and use non drug coping techniques to help you.

On 6/6/2018 at 11:39 AM, Altostrata said:

You need to get serious about self-care.

I've just googled survivingantidepressants.org depression and found this topic how-i-am-coping-with-depression

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Administrator

Whatever habits of mind you had before taking psychiatric drugs may be there when you go off psychiatric drugs. Learning non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms is invaluable whether they're from withdrawal or pre-existing.

23 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Whatever habits of mind you had before taking psychiatric drugs may be there when you go off psychiatric drugs. Learning non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms is invaluable whether they're from withdrawal or pre-existing.

My habits of mind didn't have much of an impact on my over all happiness prior to withdrawal. I was a little pessimistic by nature, but nothing compared to where my mind wanders now. I posted this on another part of the forum but I'd really appreciate your perspective on this. I'll paste my question below...

I got the Skyla birth control exactly three months before I started taking antidepressant medication. The extent of time that you are supposed to have Skyla IUD is three years, and three years is up for me this month. I'm terrified that if I go get it removed that the hormonal disruption will cause me to spiral back into suicidal depression like I did in November three months after my C/T. But I also wonder if the Skyla birth control could be a contributor to why my C/T is as bad as it is. Maybe my body is having a hard time leveling out because the Skyla synthetic hormonal birth control is "poisoning" me in a way. I got my hormones checked a few weeks back and everything came back looking okay. But I've always been VERY sensitive to anything that I put in my body, so I'm wondering if the synthetic version of the hormones that Skyla is releasing into my blood stream could be making me worse. But I also read that once you get the IUD removed your body can sometimes crash because it doesn't know how to produce it's own hormones anymore (Much like what happens in withdrawal). I'd love any first hand experience feedback with this issue, thanks! 

• Administrator

Hellbutrin, you need some coaching to learn to manage your health anxiety. Cognitive behavior therapy can help with this.

Your IUD has been losing hormonal content over the years. It's at a very low level now.

21 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Hellbutrin, you need some coaching to learn to manage your health anxiety. Cognitive behavior therapy can help with this.

Your IUD has been losing hormonal content over the years. It's at a very low level now.

So it likely wouldn’t do anything either way then. I’m going to have it taken out today