Are you taking something that causes insomnia? Vitamins, fish oil, chocolate, artificial sweeteners, caffeine?

compsports

I know this sounds crazy but could the fact I quit taking a multivitamin caused my sleep issues to worsen?

As I ran out, I didn't buy anything new because it just seemed like it wasn't helping. I also had started taking cod liver oil/butter oil that has helped with my teeth so I didn't want to risk taking to much vitamin A.

But since I have made this change my sleep issues have worsened. Not that I was sleeping great before but at least I would rate the quality a C+. Not it feels more like a D.

I guess the only solution is to buy a multivitamin supplement and test out the theory. But the thought of taking anything doesn't appeal to me.

I am finding I am really tired of taking pills of any kind.

By the way, I did take a liquid multi and that didn't seem to make any difference. Maybe I will try Chocolate emerald Balance as that has vitamins and I really liked the taste. I will purchase it where I can get my money back.

CS

PS - I know it sounds like I am gasping at straws but I can't help it.

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

I know this sounds crazy but could the fact I quit taking a multivitamin caused my sleep issues to worsen?

CS

PS - I know it sounds like I am gasping at straws but I can't help it.

Well, I'll grasp with ya.

I have found that, lately, my sensitivities/symptoms are not immutable. They change all the time, inreaction to changes I've made and sometimes they just change for reasons unknown.

Change, abrupt change, has rarely been a positive as I look back at my journey over the last 20 months. Maybe tapering the multi would be better. I try to ramp up/down with everything that seems to affect my mental/psychological functioning b/c stopping/starting has been so bad with the meds. A multi seems problematic too b/c so many component elements... which is the culprit?

I wish I had an answer for you, cs. I know others have a different view, but I generally don't take any supps instead try to eat to the best of my ability for sufficient nutrition.

Certainly I send you good-sleep energy. It sucks that this continues. I wish I had a solution for you and everyone else. Hang in.

Alex

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

• Administrator

Hard to tell, cs. Your system has always been very sensitive in unusual ways.

There are so many things in a multivitamin, could be something there was helping stabilize your nervous system.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thanks Alex, it is hard to know what to do.

I did finally get my C+ quality sleep last night which is an improvement after several nights of D sleep.

I guess I will make my decision about MV after seeing how I sleep tonight.

CS

Hard to tell, cs. Your system has always been very sensitive in unusual ways.

There are so many things in a multivitamin, could be something there was helping stabilize your nervous system.

Thanks Alto.

As I said to Alex, I will see what happens tonight

I have read that a few B vitamins help with sleep as long as the dose isn't too high. If necessary, perhaps I will try the remaining B complex vitamins that I have.

That doesn't exactly excite me as I think I have developed a real aversion to pills.

Anybody know of a multivitamin substance that taste like Godiva chocolate:)?

CS

Out of sheer desperation, I took a B complex vitamin yesterday because I was going out in the evening and didn't want to miss out. It worked like a charm even though I did my usual falling asleep after dinner routine.

But fortunately, I was with people who were aware of my problems with sleep and very understanding.

Anyway, I think the problems I may have been attributing to lack of sleep were due to missing necessary vitamins. I hate like heck being a slave to pills but if that is what keeps me functioning optimally, so be it. At least, I am not hooked on psych meds.

CS

• 6 years later...

A doctor had me start fish oil supplements a long time ago, probably while I was on Paroxetine. When I got off Paroxetine, I suffered the same anxiety and sleeplessness everyone else does. After a couple years, and with a little DHEA, the anxiety disappeared. I cut way back on supplements, because I continued having problems I suspected were caused my taking things I did not need. And after a couple years off Paroxetine, I finally started sleeping through most of the night—nothing like I did while on Paroxetine, but better than in a long, long while!

Days ago, I noticed the bottles of fish oil I was no longer taking, and decided to start up again—for my heart health, you know. The next day I started waking up at one or two in the morning, just as I did when going through withdrawal. Only this time I had a clear mind and the ability to recognize the only thing in my life that had changed.

I googled "fish oil insomnia." Turns out it is a thing. Just read the NIH case report.

I stopped taking the fish oil and started sleeping better a couple days later. After two years of Paroxetine withdrawal, I'm a bit touchy about my sleep, and am going to be very careful when adding any supplement to my diet in the future. Never would have imagined fish oil could keep me up at night.

Hope this finds a way to help someone else one day.

Began in 1998 at 20mg/day. Dropped from 20 to 10mg/day around 2006. Dropped from 10 to 5mg/day in June of 2014. Dropped from 5 to 0mg/day in June of 2015. Rough times, indeed.

• 1 year later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

I'm a member of a weight loss group. I've suffered with severe insomnia for months, which I assumed was due to my tapering off of Lexapro. However, my good TOPS friend just said that Splenda can cause insomnia.  I looked it up on google, and did find several articles concurring with this.  Now I need to quit Splenda and other artificial sweeteners.  

My question: is it safe or advisable to just quit Splenda and other artificial sweeteners cold turkey while I'm tapering off of my Lexapro?  I really would like to resolve this insomnia, but am afraid that quitting Splenda cold turkey could worsen my withdrawals.  What are your recommendations for what to do about Splenda?   

Edited by getofflex

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly 

• ChessieCat changed the title to Splenda artificial sweetner - insomnia?
  • Moderator Emeritus

artificial-sweeteners-phenylalanine-sorbitol-etc

And a couple of things I found when I googled survivingantidepressants.org splenda:

On 5/19/2013 at 8:12 PM, Petunia said:

Several months ago, I stopped all artificial sweeteners, thinking that it would help my recovery and healing. I have used equal and splenda in drinks for years and often drank pepsi max. Now, after reading through a thread here and following some of the links, I think I might also be detoxing from aspartame.

I couldn't find any information about how long aspartame withdrawal can last, its been over 6 months that I haven't had any. Although about a month ago I suddenly got a craving for some pepsi max and decided to try a little to see what happened. I poured a little bit in the bottom of a glass and tasted it, it tasted like metallic chemical poison, I took another sip to make sure I wasn't imagining it - I wasn't. Then I threw the rest out. About 20 minutes later, I got stomach cramps.

On 1/14/2015 at 1:04 AM, luv2knit said:

I know sometimes it's just part of the pattern, but I'm always trying to determine if something has caused these setbacks. Here's what happened yesterday... Anybody think it could be related? Our daughter got my husband a Keurig for Christmas. He wanted to order K-Cups online, and knowing I'm not drinking coffee or tea right now, he wanted to order something I could drink. I will drink an occasional hot chocolate here with the cold weather, so he ordered some hot cocoa. We checked the sugar content, and it was pretty low. Our daughter was over, they were having coffee, and I was doing pretty well, so I decided to try a cocoa. Based on the sugar content, I was expecting it to not be very sweet, because I know he would not get anything with artificial sweetener. Well I took a sip, and it was pretty good--not as "unsweet" as I was expecting for 6g of sugar. I took another sip or two, and said, "Are you sure this doesn't have artificial sweetener in it?". It didn't taste like it, but tasted like more than 6g of sugar. My daughter went to check, and yelled out from the kitchen, "Don't drink any more of it!" Then she came in and said that sucralose (Splenda) was pretty low down on the list. It already seemed to me that my feet were starting to "buzz". I thought maybe I was imagining it, and it would go away, but my symptoms have kept getting worse since then. Seriously?! Three or four small sips of something with sucralose low down on the list of ingredients... Really?! I just don't know. Obviously I'm not drinking any more, but has anyone had this type of reaction to something like this? (I do not have this kind of reaction to an occasional cup of cocoa without sucralose.) Incidentally, apparently ALL the cocoa K-Cups have sucralose in them

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the information.  I would like to quit Splenda CT, but am worried it will worsen my WD symptoms.  I will either taper off Splenda, or go off cold turkey. 

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

• Moderator Emeritus

If you are consuming a lot of it I think I would go the cautious route and taper it.  It will also be easier to transition to the different taste, either of using sugar or reducing the sweetness of food.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm not consuming very much of it.  I have cut way back.  I did have a muffin this morning that I baked with Splenda, but that was it.  Let's see what happens tonight.   

• 4 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

I have discovered a positive correlation between eating dark chocolate at night, and my insomnia.  That is, up until a few days ago I ate an average of 3 dark chocolate promises about 3 to 5 hours before bedtime, and it was taking me an average of 2 hours to fall asleep.  One night, I ate too much for supper, so skipped the chocolate, and was able to fall asleep right away.  So, I decided to avoid the dark chocolate, and ever since then I've been falling asleep much more quickly and easily.  I'm still not sleeping normally, but I am sleeping much better than I was, and feeling better.  I realize correlation does not mean causation, so this may be a coincidence.  However, the chocolate could have been compounding the W/D insomnia for me.  Chocolate has not only small amounts of caffeine, it also has theobromine, which can cause insomnia and increased heart rate. 

• Altostrata changed the title to Are you taking something that causes insomnia? Vitamins, fish oil, chocolate, artificial sweeteners, caffeine?
  • 2 years later...

FYI, for anyone about to eliminate coffee or in the process of doing so:

Caffeine Withdrawal: Symptoms, Timeline, What to Expect

1996-2018 - misc. polypharmacy, incl. SSRIs, SNRIs, neuroleptics, lithium, benzos, stimulants, antihistamines, etc. (approx. 30+ drugs)

2012-2018 - 10mg lexapro/escitalopram (20mg?)    Jan. 2018 - 10mg -> 5mg, then from 5mg -> 2.5mg, then 0mg  -->  July 2018 - 0mg

2017(?)-2020 - vyvanse/lisdexamfetamine 60-70mg    2020-2021 - 70mg down to 0mg  -->  July 2021 - 0mg

March-April 2021 - vortioxetine 5-10mg (approx. 7 weeks total; CT)  -->  April 28th, 2021 - 0mg

supplements: magnesium powder (dissolved in water) as needed throughout the day; 1 tsp fish oil w/ morning meal; 2mg melatonin 

August 1, 2022 - 1 mg melatonin

Courage is fear that has said its prayers.  - Karle Wilson Baker

love and justice are not two. without inner change, there can be no outer change; without collective change, no change matters.  - Rev. angel Kyodo williams

Holding multiple truths. Knowing that everyone has their own accurate view of the way things are.  - text on homemade banner at Afiya house

I am not a medical professional; this is not medical advice. 

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy