SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Peggyb: Struggling with Celexa

peggyb

I tapered off 20 mg Celexa at the end of August not understanding that I did it too quickly after being on  for 20 plus years. I cut dose in half first two weeks and then took one every other day third week and then quit. The first two weeks I had flu like symptoms and dizziness plus angry rages and felt much better when that was over until about week six off medicine and started having anxiety and depression which comes in waves.

Fish oil helps a little and so does taking a bit more of my ADHD supplement but I'm still not functioning well.  I can barely concentrate to even do simple things to take care of my home such as my weekly menu. I have gone from working a full time job as a therapist(I will never recommend antidepressants to clients again) to barely being able to function every day. I have job interviews and job offers coming in and have to turn down full time work.  My company shut down and I was unemployed due to that but now cannot work due to depression and fatigue.

I had to go to emergency room three weeks back due to gallbladder bottoming out after taking estrogen and a medical test and the Gallbladder and IBS are definitely part of the problem with the depression- due to-inflammation. My worst symptoms of depression started after having to go to emergency room. Now that I am having major issues I have been researching and found this site. I may have to go back on medicine to see if I can get back to work because I need food!

Perhaps I can get advice on tapering and withdrawal and try again but slower next time. Neuropathy has been much better since off the antidepressant so want to get off this crap! I cannot remember depression symptoms 20 years ago when I went on med so have so way to assess what is depression and what is withdrawal.  Even on med I had worsening depression w/menopause and could not take estradiol due to it bothering gallbladder.

Four years ago tapered off and tried St Johns but that and 5htp make me feel bad. At that time I thought the symptoms of horrible depression was an overactive tyroid but now I am having same symptoms again with going off Celexa. I am going today to buy some saffron and try that and if that doesn't work I'm going to have to refil my Celexa prescription and see if that helps. I can't handle the depression anymore and must get back to work.  

I thought I would try just 10 this time and see if it helped enough for me to get back to work. Any feedback tips would be much appreciated. I'm so unhappy and wanting to die but not actively suicidal.  I'm not understanding signature part of this post trying to read how to do it but my cognitive function is way down!

Female

Edited by baroquep

1996 Celexa- slow taper down starting 2020, started at 10ml compounded liquid down to 5.6 ml. Have decreased several times by .5 with several months wait in between. Tapered by .2 quite a few times with time in between- do not have any other specific details about my taper as I have lost the paper it was written on and cannot remember taper details. 

2000-2023 30 mg Buspar at bedtime

• ChessieCat changed the title to Peggyb
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi peggy and welcome to SA,

I can understand you not being able to function cognitively because that was how I was feeling when I joined SA.  Your signature can wait for a bit, however we do need to confirm the length of time you have been off completely.  My estimation is that it has been about 8 or 9 weeks.  Do you know how long it has been?

You had been on 20mg Celexa and then took 10mg for 2 weeks and then averaged 5mg for 1 week.

SA's recommendation when reinstating is to start with a small amount to see how you react.  You could try 2.5mg (two and a half mg).  It is possible to get small doses by making your own liquid.  Please too the tips topic below.  It takes about 4 days for the drug to get to a steady dose in the blood and a bit longer for it to register in the brain.  It's a good idea to keep daily notes of your symptoms so you can see improvements which you might not feel.

Please read Post #1 of this topic:  About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Dr Joseph Glenmullen's WD Symptoms Checklist

Tips for tapering off Celexa (citalopram)

Keep Notes on Paper

Rate Symptoms Daily to Check Patterns and Progress

How do you talk to a doctor about tapering and withdrawal?

What should I expect from my doctor about withdrawal symptoms?

Brain Remodelling

Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

A request: Would you summarize your history in a signature - ALL drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly?

• Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses.
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs. 
  • Any drugs prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years.
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago)
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016.
  • Link to Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

This is your own Introduction topic where you can ask questions and journal your progress.

Edited by ChessieCat

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

That is correct- it has been nine weeks.  Thank you so much. Am so grateful for the information and this website:D 

1996 Celexa- slow taper down starting 2020, started at 10ml compounded liquid down to 5.6 ml. Have decreased several times by .5 with several months wait in between. Tapered by .2 quite a few times with time in between- do not have any other specific details about my taper as I have lost the paper it was written on and cannot remember taper details. 

• 2 weeks later...

Chessiecat I'm not sure which part of site I should go on for help so I'm hoping you can help as I'm feeling suicidal.  I had been doing a little better adding  celexa back in- most notably my energy increased. My concentration is still not improved much. Five years ago when I tried quitting celexa I had all the same depression and physical symptoms but did not have the cognitive issues- I was going to college and making good grades. I wonder if it is because I have been taking a larger dose the past year due to menopause- 5 yrs ago it was 10 and then bumped to 20. Anyway this past weekend because my anxiety was very bad trying to work just one day last week I bumped up Saturday by 5 mg. By sunday morn I was suicidal and have no longer taken anymore extra dose  but I can't get straitened out and I need to go to work tomorrow. I am only working one day a week and am in poverty so need to return to work. Do you know of anything other than the fish oil which I am taking that might help this? I have been doing  an evidence based subliminal tape, positive affirmations videos and EFT which only take a little edge off. My therapist said she feels this is all chemical and it is not my normal self that she sees. The only other time in my life that I felt that determined to commit suicide was 5 years ago when I went off celexa. When I was younger before I started antidepressant I would have bad anxiety at times and bad depression and wanted to die but never came to the point of wanting to actually do it.

• Administrator

peggy, how  much Celexa were you taking before you increased it by 5mg? How much are you taking now? At what time of day?

What happened after you increased by 5mg on Saturday?

Is your anxiety worse at any particular time of day? Please keep notes on paper about your symptoms, when you take your drugs, and their dosages.

Magnesium citrate can help anxiety, see http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I have been taking 10 mg for 2 weeks and increased by 5 on Saturday.   I always take my Celexa in the morning . can't do liquid to increase as I can't figure out how to do it myself and will need to get a pharmacist to do. I'm just going to stick to the 10 mg from now on until I can feel better cognitively and try to get a liquid to up gradually. After I increased by 5 I became very cranky and then depressed within a couple of hours and then by Sunday feeling suicidal. My  anxiety is mostly social anxiety so related to being around people sometimes that are new or stressful such as work. It had been much better for several  years because I take  a supplement for ADHD so I wonder if being in the discontinuation syndrome is affecting the anxiety. I take the magnesium but I hadn't thought about increasing it so I will do that before stressful situations. I will start documenting - thank you so much.

• Moderator Emeritus

Please increase the magnesium gradually as it can have a laxative effect if you take too much.  Everybody is different.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of Feb. 22: 7.6mg

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Thank you.☺

• Moderator Emeritus

What supplement are you taking for ADHD?

That's a very dubious label in itself. What symptoms did you have that led somebody label you that?

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

had testing at age 50 from a very good psychiatrist who did a whole battery of psychological educational testing.  I  use a subliminal CD that he recommended as well as a supplement called attend by vaxa. I had been misdiagnosed with anxiety disorder when i was 25 and the supplement improved my anxiety by about 80%. I'm more patient,  less irritable, focus is improved so much and I can handle more sensory input such as noises. I was getting ready to start a master's program and it was so much easier then The Bachelors program once I was on the supplement. I feel like getting the diagnosis changed my life and I learned a lot about how my brain works. Adhd can also have strengths that go along with it such as having good physical energy for work,  quick-thinking for certain jobs , tenacity, thinking outside the box, creativity  and being outspoken and I try to teach this to the kids I work with. My personal beliefs are ADHD is a brain issue and its genetic.   also think that it's on the rise from the research I've done and that it is from chemicals and bad food altering our genetic material.

I have been feeling a little less suicidal but still horribly depressed since taking that extra 5 mg. Can't take any more magnesium as it upsets my stomach so I am obviously at my max dose of that already. I'm afraid to do any change in dosage with the Celexa right now and not sure what to do. Should I rest and just ride with the depression and give it some more time for 10 mg I reinstated to kick in?(this is starting my third week back on) Or should I add in some liquid in minute amounts to see if that helps the depression. I was taking 20 mg celexa before but wanted to reinstate at 10 because of the celexa induced neuropathy in feet and also want to get off this **** eventually. Also if I add in more with a liquid how much should I taper up? Thank you so much for this site and the help. My therapist is just not helping at this time and I think that this is my nervous system/brain and not something emotionally I can work on. I also have IBS and gallbladder issues and attacks with my tummy make depression worse- its the inflammation I"m sure.

I went off medication in September not knowing about the hell that is the withdrawal and am now reinstating because of feeling suicidal and horrible cognitive function.  Will readdress going off in the future when I am feeling better and with a plan to use this site as a guide to taper off more slowly next time. My question is- I started with 10 mg to reinstate(my original dose before quitting was 20 mg celexa)I tried going up to 15 one day  and ended up feeling even more suicidal- it was horrible!!! My MD jus suggested a liquid and said go to 11 mg for now then gradually add in. Anyone have any suggestions as to how many milligrams I should up dose and for how long? I'd also like to say this site is wonderful and I actually read about it in an article the other day on Psychology Today blog. It is comforting to know that there are some mental health and medical professionals who are listening and realizing this problem.

• Mentor

Hi PeggyB,

I wanted to say welcome to the group.  I'm so glad you found us but I'm not happy that you found us because you are suffering withdrawal symptoms.  I'm sure a moderator, or at least someone with more experience than me will be along to answer your questions. I did want to say hello though and tell you that relief does happen.  I was a cold turkey gal that had to reinstate as well.  I did get relief. Hang in, help is one the way.

Rachel

I am not a health professional in any way.  I do not give medical advice.   Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a professional medical practitioner.

NEW INFORMATION FOR GABAPENTIN TAPER

April 29, 2022 900 mg to 800 mg (11%), May 29, 2022 800 to 700 mg (12.5%), June 20, 2022 700 to 650mg (8%), July 20, 2022 650 to 575 (12%), August 20,  575 to 500 (13%),  Sept 20, 2020 500 to 475mg (5%) Nov 7, 2022 475 to 425 (11%), Nov 21, 2022 500mg

Medications: Gabapentin, Prednisone 1.5mg a day, Cortisol Inhaler daily. 

HISTORY FOR ZOLOFT TAPER

Feb. 2016 to June 2016  - Was on 150mg Zoloft.  Put on Gabapentin at 900mg a day in 2016 due to antidepressant withdrawal. 

Quit Zoloft (Sertraline) June  2016,  reinstated 50mg of Zoloft July 2016.  From July 2016  to October 2016 went from 50 mg down 2.3 mg. I up-dosed in November 2016 to 12.5 mg. Held there until January 2017 when I started a much slower taper.

STARTING SENSIBLE  ZOLOFT TAPERING USING GUIDELINES FROM THIS SITE

Dec. 10 2016  - switched to Liquid Zoloft (Sertraline) @ 12.5 mg.   Jan. 4, 2020 1.875 mg (6.3%). Jan. 25, 2020 1.75 mgFeb. 29, 2020 1.625mg (7.10%).  Apr. 4, 2020 1.5 mg.  May 9, 2020 1.375 mg.  June 6, 2020 1.25 mg. (9.10%).  July 4, 2020 1.125 mg. (10%).  August 15, 2020 1.0 mg.  Oct 24, 2020 .875 mg.  Nov. 28, 2020 .75mgJan 16, 2021 .685mg (8.7%).  Feb 13, 2021 .62mg. March 12, 2021 .56mg.  May 1, 2021 .375mg.  May 29, 2021 .25mg. June 26, 2021 .0125mg. July 25, 2021 .065mg. August 22, 2021 .048mg.  October 2, 2021 .043mg.  October 10, 2021 .038mg.  October 23, 2021 .035mg.  October 30, 2021 .032mg.  Nov. 13, 2021 .030 mg.  Dec 4, 2021 .0285 mg.  Dec 11, 2021 .0265 mg. Dec 18, 2021 .0246 mg. Dec 25, 2021 .023mg. Jan 1, 2022. 0 mg. OFF COMPLETELY

Thank you so much Rachel. I feel like I have lost two months of my life dealing with this but hearing your story and reading others is giving me hope. The Celexa was causing neuropathy which went away while off of it and I also think it's causing other neurological damage so really hope to get off of it eventually.

• 3 years later...

I began to taper using a liquid Celexa and tapered very gradually on my own because I had forgotten all about your website having recommendations for taper dose. I have horrible memory .I've gone down from 10 mL ( 20 mg) to 7.5 ml over about a year. But I didn't do It consistently which may have been more helpful now after reading more on your website. I did only decrease by 5 ml at a time and spaced quite a few months apart. So starting last year I started getting more depression and suicidal ideation a few times along with no tolerance for people being mean to me. But I also work as a therapist and I know that is impacting my tolerance for people being mean to me. Because of my job I've had to develop my own empathy and also after many years of therapy but now it's hard for me to be around people that don't have empathy. And well I just want  healthy relationships around me and so that has put me very isolated because I just stay away from mean people and drama the past year. My ex cheated on me in a traumatic way two and a half years ago and I'm starting EMDR for that, childhood and feeling traumatized by my health issues that I've experienced since I was in my twenties. I have chronic fatigue syndrome, dysautonomia,  bad food and other  allergies, possible heart problems with an implantable heart monitor, gallbladder issues, IBS so I'm constantly struggling to get things done with work and here living by myself. I have to cook everything here at home, cannot eat out and have a limited diet . I have a cyst on thyroid that they at first thought was cancer and second opinion said no and it's giving me subclinical low thyroid and - I can't remember right now which one it was maybe T3. As soon as I started having mild pain in front of my throat  which  got me diagnosed with the cyst my mental health began plummeting down much worse and that's when I've had the couple of times of suicidal ideation -when my adult son was cruel to me. He's the only family I have. And because I refuse to be around mean people, I don't have any friends right now and live in a rural area  with no way to make new connections especially  with covid. And I can't even start talking about my financial situation stress because of being a single parent for so many years, that's too much info. The point of all this is I can't figure out if my worsening mental health is from the thyroid ,the dosage I've gotten to with the Celexa or so many bad life circumstance with little support and a job that is a very giving job. I have been on Celexa for 25 years. When menopause hit 7 years ago I spiraled into depression and went up to 20 mg Celexa. Years ago when I was first in mental health what really would have been best for me was for someone to have done trauma work with me and better therapists to help me deal with being a single parent living in poverty. Nobody and all the therapy I ever had taught me any kind of calming skills or any CBT. I didn't know any better and when I became a therapist I felt upset with ones I've seen. I don't think it's good for my body to be on the Celexa for this many years. And even before I started the taper last year it wasn't doing me much good, wasn't helping the depression. I'm tired of dealing with the depression being worse but I don't want to give up on my taper and what if it's not the reduced dose. what if it's my life ,my job, post menopause, my thyroid that are causing all the depression. I do mindfulness at least four times a week, diaphragmatic breathing everyday. Eat super healthy and 8-9 hours of sleep every night can't function without it. Yesterday my gut made the depression worse and I tried all of the above plus havening technique ,Peter Levine hand soothing technique ,and brainspotting on myself and nothing stopped me crying most of the day. It's been 4 months since I've done a taper and I'm going to make sure and look at the recommendations on here before I do anymore. I'm suffering right now and I'm at a loss and can't see a light at the end of the tunnel.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Peggy,

Please note that each member has only 1 Introduction topic which is the best place to ask questions about your own situation and where you can journal your progress.  This way all your history is in one place and means that you do not have to repeat yourself.

You now have 3 Introduction topics.  They will all be merged into the original one here:

Original Introduction topic:

peggyb

This is a link to the 2nd one:

question-about-reinstating-to-help-symptoms

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

Should I have posted this to one of the other boards in order to get feedback or help? And thank you for putting them all together

• Moderator Emeritus

One of the other mods will merge them together.

There are a couple of mods taking time off from SA at the moment.  Someone will respond to your post as soon as they are able.

To help us out please create our drug signature which allows us to see your drug history at a glance and means that we do not have to read through your posts to get the information.  Thank you.  Follow these instructions.

Instructions:  Withdrawal History Signature

Also, when making a post, please add some spacing to make it easier to read.  Thank you.

I apologize about the lack of spacing.  I'm very sick physically and mentally right now. I added in my signature and hopefully it's showing up and I did it right. Thank you for the feedback

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello, and welcome to SA.  We are a peer owned and run forum of people who have been or are getting off of psychiatric drugs.  My heart goes out to you.  It sounds like you have been through so much for such a big part of your life.  I can relate.  I want to give you hope.  I, too was on Lexapro, the turbo charged cousin of Celexa, and I'm also post menopausal.  I was on it 15 years when I started tapering, and I'm almost off of it.  

It sounds like you are already using a lot of non drug techniques, which is great.  Also it is good that you are able to sleep well.  

Thank you for giving us your drug history in your signature.  However, we will need more specific information about it so we can give you appropriate suggestions.  Please read the link below for instructions.  We need specific drugs, dosages, and dates. 

How to List Drug History in Signature

A lot of what you are describing sounds like it could be withdrawal syndrome.  These links below will explain more.  

This helps you understand what withdrawal syndrome is: 

What is Withdrawal Syndrome?

Here is some information about how these drugs actually work.  

How Psychiatric Drugs Remodel Your Brain

Tapering is best done extremely slowly, and we taper by 10% of the current dose, so that the taper becomes exponentially smaller.

Why Taper by 10% of my Dosage  

Also, as we are tapering, we suggest keeping things slow, simple, and stable. 

Keep it Simple, Slow, and Stable

When we recover, there are times of feeling OK mixed in with times of feeling bad.  This is called windows and waves.

Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Here are some techniques to cope with symptoms: 

Non Drug Ways to Cope with Withdrawal Symptoms

We don't suggest many supplements, but 3 that many of us find helpful are magnesium, omega-3, and melatonin. Here are the links for info about those. It is suggested to add one at a time, and start with a low dose to see how it affects you. 

Magnesium

Omega 3 Fish Oil

Melatonin

I've given you quite a bit of information here.  Please read through it, and mull it over, and we will take it from there. In the meantime, take care of yourself, and take heart.  We in this forum have been through this, and we understand first hand the pain and discomfort you are going through.  Please know that the brain is amazing in it's healing abilities.  It takes time, but healing can and will happen. 

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly 

• getofflex changed the title to Peggyb: Struggling with Celexa
  • 4 months later...

Last time I posted put in wrong forum due to depression at that time which was from low magnesium. I started tapering year-and-a-half ago with liquid compounded celexa from Pharmacy as I need sorbitol free liquid. I took 10 mg of Celexa for twenty five years - then about five years ago went up to 20mg when I hit menopause because I started  having  bad depression the first month my periods stopped . Then the 20 mg stopped working but it was after a couple of traumatic events. I would like to completely taper off and try natural supplement for depression as the supplement I take for ADHD works  well. I have  bad memory problems especially long-term and had forgotten that this website gave tapering suggestions. I also cannot remember how I tapered but I had gone down from 10 ml to 7.5 in a year or more and went down in increments of .5 I think about every 3 months. Have not done any taper at all for seven months or more now . My depression did get worse after I started the whole tapering but was having trauma at the same time so don't know that I can blame it all on the taper. I can say  perhaps the taper has made it harder for me to handle the trama. I have a had quite a few  mid grade traumas that have affected me the past three years along with a lifetime of not getting treatment for childhood trauma. When I got trained as a therapist seven years ago I was appalled when I realized that mental health practitioners had let me down so much in multiple areas .Also have gut issues and other health issues that are affecting my depression. I'm a  doing mindfulness, diaphragm breathing, bilateral stimulation, very healthy diet and  brainspotting on myself because so far I haven't been able to find a nice therapist. Oh and gardening and being out in nature is the number one thing that helps my depression and I wish my health for good enough I could do something out in nature for a living. I have very bad learning disability in math and when I'm reading  tapering instructions on here am struggling to understand. I want to finish my taper in  best way possible w/ dosage and time as not to trigger symptoms and wondering if anybody can break it down for me ,help me understand- think explaining to someone in Middle School as that's probably where my brain is at with math. I take magnesium because I have to because of cramping/low mag which is one of the reasons I need to get off Celexa as well as I don't feel it is good for my heart issues. Can anyone recommend any other supplements that could help with the depression. I was considering trying lithium orotate . I had side effects with SamE, St John's Wort before celexa. Marijuana also helps my chronic fatigue syndrome and other health issues but it is not legal here and because of not having a dispensary so I could get strains I know work- occasionally I would get some that made my depression worse. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Previous post moved to your intro topic to keep your history all in one place.  Please post questions and discussion about your situation in this one thread, to avoid confusion and duplication of efforts.  Thank you.  

Back in March I posted some links about how to taper, and about withdrawal and other related issues.  Please read those links, they should answer a lot of questions.  Are you now on 7.5 mg of Celexa? 

Can you please put more details in your drug signature about your Celexa taper?  Can you please give us specific information about your drug history for all drugs you are on and have been on, especially for the past 18-24 months?  It would be especially helpful to have the details of your drugs in a concise list (no symptoms), only drug names, specific dates (as best you can say for example early March if you don't recall the day) and dosages of each medication decrease or increase.  Please read the link below for instructions.  This will allow us to give you the best guidance.

How to List Drug History in Signature

How are you feeling now?  It's good you have been on the same dose for the past 7 months.  Hopefully you are pretty stable by now.  If you are, you can commence tapering.  If you are on 7.5 mg of Celexa now, then I suggest you reduce your dose by 10%.  Ten percent of 7.5 is .75.  So you would subtract .75 from 7.5.   7.5 - .75 = 6.75 mg.  So you new dose would be 6.75 mg of Celexa.  Another way to calculate this is 7.5 X .9 = 6.75.  

This link will explain how to taper and measure your Celexa dose: 

tips for Tapering Celexa

I would carefully research lithium orotate.  If you do try it, start with a very small amount to see how it affects you.  Here is a link with a discussion about lithium orotate.  

Lithium Orotate

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

I will figure out how to put it in my signature - it is just Celexa I'm tapering off of do not want to quit my buspirone which helps me sleep. Thank you for the examples with the taper and the Celexa information . I'm not stable, my depression is severe which is why I had stopped with the taper for so long. Most of the severe depression started after I felt heartbroken by my son's treatment of me as I said in the post. I function very well at work with my opt clients  even though I do have some compassion fatigue. Overall work helps my depression. But I have times where I get waves of depression and anxiety which feel like chills in my body and not sure if that's taper or PTSD or thyroid. I am suffering but I do not want to give in and go back on the Celexa because I feel very strongly that it's not good for my body. That's why I was asking about supplements and hoping there was something that I could take with the taper other than the magnesium. 

• Moderator Emeritus
On 8/1/2021 at 11:51 AM, peggyb said:

Most of the severe depression started after I felt heartbroken by my son's treatment of me as I said in the post

Peggy, I'm deeply sorry to hear about your son's poor treatment of you.  I would be heartbroken too.  

I am suffering but I do not want to give in and go back on the Celexa because I feel very strongly that it's not good for my body

I admire and applaud your strength to continue on and not go back on the Celexa.  Am I correct in understanding that you are still on 7.5 mg of Celexa now?  Or have you stopped it completely?  If so, when?  

To put the info in your drug sig, click on your name in the upper right of the screen, click on "account settings", then click on "signature".  Then, click "save" when you are done.  

But I have times where I get waves of depression and anxiety which feel like chills in my body and not sure if that's taper or PTSD or thyroid.

I, too, have some PTSD, and I'm on meds for hypothyroid, so I know what you mean.  Only I'm in menopause, so I get hot flashes instead of chills.  

No problem about the Buspirone, I completely understand.  Sleep is very important and essential, and you have enough to deal with without sleep issues as well. 

I function very well at work with my opt clients  even though I do have some compassion fatigue. Overall work helps my depression.

I'm glad to hear this.  It's great that you are able to function well at work.  

That's why I was asking about supplements and hoping there was something that I could take with the taper other than the magnesium. 

We also suggest you try fish oil for the omega 3 (assuming you are not vegetarian).  Please start with a small amount, and slowly increase it. 

Omega 3 Fish Oil

Please keep us posted, and let us know how you are doing. Let us know when you are ready to taper the Celexa again.  There is no hurry, so wait as long as you need to, and take gentle care of yourself.  I'm glad you are here.  

Thank you so much for your kind words, information and support. I and still on Celexa but I think I wrote the wrong amount down it is 6.5 ml now. Menopause isn't Fun is it? My depression became much worse after my periods stopped. I'm very thankful for you and this website 🙂

• Moderator Emeritus

No problem, it would help if you could update your drug sig with this info, that way it will be automatically included with each post, and the busy staff can see you info without wading through a bunch of posts.  Just click on your name in the upper right hand corner, click on "account settings", then click on "signature", and click "save" after you type it in.  Using a computer to do this is easiest.  

I can relate, I'm also menopausal.  Hang in there, and I'm glad we are able to be of help.  

Edited by getofflex

• 3 months later...

Reinstatement

I'm going to have to reinstate again to see if it helps depression as I am not doing well and starting to struggle with crying at work in between seeing clients. Want to leave the Earth and don't want to leave the Earth but I do not have any kind of suicidal plan .I am a therapist and  have done brainspotting, EFT, somatic exercises and multiple interventions on myself which are not helping. I eat very healthy, get good sleep. Fish oil bothers my stomach but I take magnesium . Trying to find a good therapist for support but have had bad luck with a few bad therapist in a row so looking again for one. Am also saving up for a local dr who does hormone optimization because as I have posted in here before menopause made everything much worse. I tapered celexa with a liquid, stopped at 6.5 ml about 8 months ago. Went down w gradual taper for about a year from beginning dose of 10 mL compounded Celexa so I can have no sorbitol formula. I have read information about reinstatement on here but didn't see any recommendations for amount and time frame for tapering back up. I am at 6.5 ml and need to taper back up to the 10 mL. I have been on Celexa about 25 years. Tried multiple times before knowing about this website to go off through the years and always had to reinstate. I can't put any of that information in my signature because I didn't record anything before I knew about this website and the only thing I can remember is the past year going from 10 mL to 6.5 ml

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title before merging with intro topic

• Moderator Emeritus

I merged your new topic with your Introduction topic.  This keeps your history in one place and means that you do not have to repeat your story.

3 hours ago, peggyb said:

I have been on Celexa about 25 years.

Q:  Have you been on 6.5mL for several months or more and your symptoms have gradually started worsening instead of improvement?

Because you have been on Celexa for so long one thing that you might consider is that your drug may have reached tolerance / tachyphylaxis / poop out.  Especially if you answered Yes to my question.

As a general "rule" withdrawal symptoms usually occur shortly after making a reduction and reduce within a reasonable amount of time afterwards if you have made a conservative reduction (ie no more than 10% of the current dose).

With poop out, the worsening of symptoms comes on gradually and it feels like the drug is no longer working.  The difference with poop out is that when a reduction is made, the person can actually feel a bit better for a while and then gradually they start to feel worse again.

What can happen when a drug poops out is that the dose is increased, the person feels improvement and then as the drug poops out again things get worse again and the drug might be increased again.

Tachyphylaxis, Reaching Tolerance or as It's Lovingly Known “Poop-Out”

tolerance-or-poop-out-or-tachyphylaxis

Brassmonkey had to taper off Paxil whilst in poop out and he managed to do it.

Yes I have been on the 6.5 ml for at least 8 months now. I did not feel any better when I did this last reduction. Since the last reduction which I believe was January of this year I have  gradually gone downhill and the past two months rapidly gone downhill with my depression. When I have done reductions I have done .5 or 1 ml and space them apart quite a bit but I can't tell you specific time frame because I didn't write it down which I will from now on. It sounds like it's poop out except I didn't feel better when I made the reduction. I had chills and  anxiety when I first made the reduction and then depression gradually went downhill.  I'll look over the links. Thank you so so much for responding quickly. Looks like I need to figure out if this is my depression with less medication or poop out?

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you for the extra details.  To me it would seem to be poop out.  The only way to know for sure would be to make a reduction and keep notes for yourself.

17 minutes ago, peggyb said:

It sounds like it's poop out except I didn't feel better when I made the reduction.

It might take a few reductions before you feel better after a reduction.  I will try to find information that Brassmonkey has given to members about tapering out of poop out.

The other thing to take into consideration is any stresses that have occurred.  One thing thing that may be affecting you is the Covid situation.  It started early 2020 and has gone on for a very long time, and even now, with life opening back up, it is not returning to the normal that it was before, but it is different and therefore has an unknown which can be stressful.  Things to consider, isolation, job loss or changes, financial stress, relationship stress, sickness, vaccination.  Even if you thought you had been handling things okay, because of how long it has been going on it can creep up on us without us realising how much it is affecting us.

Other things to consider:

Is it withdrawal or relapse?  Or something else?

How do I know it's withdrawal and not relapse?

• Moderator Emeritus
6 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

I will try to find information that Brassmonkey has given to members about tapering out of poop out.

Found them.  He mentions that he would still get withdrawal symptoms sometimes which is why he tailored a tapering method to try to overcome this issue (mentioned in the second link).  He managed to continue working during his taper and has been off Paxil since April 2017.

brassmonkey-talking-about-myself/comment=298433

brassmonkey-talking-about-myself/296080

the-brassmonkey-slide-method-of-micro-tapering

I have a ton of environmental things going on so that is a big part of it. I was isolated before covid because of my chronic health issues and resulting fatigue which makes socialization hard. My gut issues affect my depression as well. I don't remember anything about my depression 25 years ago before I went on meds because I have long-term memory issues. I do know that since I started menopause I have not been the same , have anhedonia which I never had when I was younger and problems with depression w/ socialization which I never had no matter how depressed I was. I tend to have days now where I'm doing fine and then something upsetting can trigger me and cause a depressive meltdown. But there are also many days that nothing is happening and I get severely depressed. There are times of waves of it hitting me that I think is withdrawal still. I'm going to keep track of everything in a notebook now with my symptoms to see if that helps me figure out. If I make a reduction how will that tell me it's poop out versus withdrawal or relapse?

• Moderator Emeritus
26 minutes ago, peggyb said:

If I make a reduction how will that tell me it's poop out versus withdrawal or relapse?

Did you read Brassmonkey's posts?

I'm sorry getting sleepy and brain fog I had overlooked the links. I'll start reading them now, thank you very much.

• 2 years later...

I have been having a lot of unusual neurological symptoms wondering if it's discontinuation. Last two typers were .2 ml about a month apart. Have multiple health issues so attending to that so much going on I haven't tried to taper anymore. I am having a lot of cognitive issues concerned about early Alzheimer's because my memory is so poor. About a year ago I started having weird neurological symptom of burning, shock, dread sensation that would wake me up very early a.m. Only happened at  most about once a week sometimes would go a month before it would happen .One of the worst things I've experienced in my life. Recently I've had many rounds of  antibiotic to fight pneumonia that was reoccurring... and now the sensation is happening almost every day but not early a.m. I'm concerned about the antibiotic doing liver, gut, neurological damage because it was six rounds counting iv in the hospital. Neurologist ruled out MS and said it could be something due to spine compression wants to do neck MRI. I have not had the sensation after a taper but I am having a problem because of my cognitive issues... of occasionally forgetting my liquid Celexa once or twice a week because I have to keep it in the refrigerator as I had special compound made with no sorbitol. I made a chart with a dry erase board to mark off days and still can forget it. I've put several alarms in my phone and that is now helping some but this past week I forgot a night again. I have an empty bottle so I'm going to try putting that on  stove where I will see it everyday to see if that helps. So has anyone experienced that kind of symptom associated with withdrawal or missing doses?

• Administrator
2 hours ago, peggyb said:

occasionally forgetting my liquid Celexa once or twice a week because I have to keep it in the refrigerator as I had special compound made with no sorbitol. I made a chart with a dry erase board to mark off days and still can forget it. I've put several alarms in my phone and that is now helping some but this past week I forgot a night again.

Forgetting or skipping doses could be the cause of many of your "unusual neurological symptoms" -- which are withdrawal symptoms -- particularly if you do it repeatedly.

Antibiotics can also trigger increased withdrawal symptoms.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.