SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

☼ Glosmom: my daughter's taper

Glosmom

• Moderator Emeritus

For those who follow Glo stories....I have a bit of an uplifting one that may bring a smile during the wild times in our current world......

So Gloria used to LOVE to go to the movie theatre.  We would go often and have a wonderful time watching the new releases and eating popcorn.  Glo loved all the Disney shows including Frozen.  I was very sad when the new Frozen 2 was released to theatres months ago and Glo was unaware, uninterested and unable to go.  Although she has done much better in the last 6 months of watching all types of shows on TV or streaming, she just has had no interest in going to the movie theatre or re-watching Frozen. 

Disney released Frozen 2 this past Sunday on their streaming service, Disney +, which was 6 months earlier than planned (due to Coronavirus and public places).  Glo was having a pretty good day on Sunday so I asked her if she wanted to watch the new Frozen 2 movie.  She said, "Sure, Mom, that sounds good."  So I put it on for her.

I am pleased to report that our dear Glo watched that movie VERY intently and SANG the songs during the movie!!  She ended up watching it two more times through Monday evening and continued to sing the songs when they came on during the show!!  We added the songs to her Spotify playlist so she has some "fresh material." :)

Glo continues to have more good moments (she still has bad too and is not healed) BUT we are happy with the progress she is making.  Just wanted to share...

May all of you who are suffering find peace, hope and continued healing.   Glosmom

2016 - Oct -Daughter started Risperdal (for steroid induced psychosis that never went away after stopping prednisone)

Nov - dose increases stopped at 1.5mg in Dec

2017 - Jan- weaned from 1.5 to 1.0 in 2 weeks then 1.0 to .5 in two weeks and then off. Feb. 3 weeks of increased psychosis, pacing, insomnia, other awful symptoms so late Feb  - Back on 1.5 mg Risperdal. May  - decrease to 1.25mg, two weeks later 1.0mg - symptoms started again. June - held steady at 1.25mg for 6 weeks and switched to liquid (3 ml syringe). July - started 10% taper every 3 weeks, October -  .8 mg, December - .7 mg .

2018 -Jan- 0.65 mg,  Feb- 0.59,  Mar-0.50, late April - .40mg, July- .36 mg, Aug - switched from 3 mL syringe to 1 mL syringe for more accuracy (her dad and i were not sure we were giving her the same dose when in between the 'dashes' on the 3 mL syringe.) Aug -.30 mg (3mL syr)/.44 mg (1 mL syr) difference due to med in the tip of both syringes). Sept- .28 mg (3mL syr)/.42 mg (1 mL syr). Oct - .16 mg (3 mL syr)/.30 mg (1 mL syr). Nov.- .06mg (3mL syr)/.20 mg (1mLsyr). Dec. - tip only/unmeasurable (3mL syr)/.10 mg (1mLsyr)

2019- Jan -.06 mg (1 mL syr), Feb- .025 mg (1 mL syr), Feb 27, 2019 - jumped to zero!!

I love these happy updates!!!! Thank you for sharing 

May 2018:  1 dropper liquid marajuana

june 2018. Trazadone ambien 10 mg

july 2018 seroquel 37 mg ambien 2.5mg lex 5

October 2018 taper seroquel added hydroxizine 25 mg

nov ambien taper lex taper 

dec 2018 off of lex off of phenibut

October 2018- added a lot of supplements.  night: 3mg melatonin Passion flower tincture valerian tincture lavender magnesium glycinate liquid gaba herbal blend Theanine 450 mg tryptophan 1.5 grams 

May 2019. Down to the following at night 

4-6 mg hydroxizine. 250 mg tryptophan (1/2 pill).75 mg melatonin pill .75 herbal blend pill magnesium citrate 

Feb 2020:Off all supplements and pills.

What a lovely story!  Glo has made so much progress.  I look forward to more.  Thank you for sharing this!  

My psychiatric drug history goes back, on and off, to 1999.  This is my taper chronology:

Jan. 2018:                        900 mg  Lithium                      1 mg Risperidone               250 mg Lamotrigine 

Jan. 2018:                        0 mg  Lithium*                        1 mg Risperidone               250 mg Lamotrigine 

Jan. 2019:                        0 mg Lithium                           0.625 mg Risperidone       175 mg Lamotrigine

Jan. 2020:                       0 mg Lithium                           0.260 mg Risperidone       175 mg Lamotrigine

Feb. 2021:                        0 mg Lithium                           0 mg Risperidone              175 mg Lamotrigine

August 2021                    0 mg Lithium                           0 mg Risperidone              0 mg Lamotrigine

*I had to cold turkey lithium because of life-threatening side effects.

Measuring doses: The Withdrawal Project at the Inner Compass Initiative website, which explains how to do the microtaper to make it as smooth as possible   Nutrition: The Clean Gut Diet by Alejandro Junger, MD, and Viva Naturals Omega 3 Fish Oil Supplements.  Psychological: "Dr. Bruce H. Lipton Explains How To Reprogram The Subconscious Mind" (on YouTube) and PSYCH-K (an alternative healing modality).  

• Mentor

I am so glad to read Glo is healing.  This is a slow process but she is getting there.  Thank you for the good news.

I am not a health professional in any way.  I do not give medical advice.   Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a professional medical practitioner.

NEW INFORMATION FOR GABAPENTIN TAPER

April 29, 2022 900 mg to 800 mg (11%), May 29, 2022 800 to 700 mg (12.5%), June 20, 2022 700 to 650mg (8%), July 20, 2022 650 to 575 (12%), August 20,  575 to 500 (13%),  Sept 20, 2020 500 to 475mg (5%) Nov 7, 2022 475 to 425 (11%), Nov 21, 2022 500mg

Medications: Gabapentin, Prednisone 1.5mg a day, Cortisol Inhaler daily. 

HISTORY FOR ZOLOFT TAPER

Feb. 2016 to June 2016  - Was on 150mg Zoloft.  Put on Gabapentin at 900mg a day in 2016 due to antidepressant withdrawal. 

Quit Zoloft (Sertraline) June  2016,  reinstated 50mg of Zoloft July 2016.  From July 2016  to October 2016 went from 50 mg down 2.3 mg. I up-dosed in November 2016 to 12.5 mg. Held there until January 2017 when I started a much slower taper.

STARTING SENSIBLE  ZOLOFT TAPERING USING GUIDELINES FROM THIS SITE

Dec. 10 2016  - switched to Liquid Zoloft (Sertraline) @ 12.5 mg.   Jan. 4, 2020 1.875 mg (6.3%). Jan. 25, 2020 1.75 mgFeb. 29, 2020 1.625mg (7.10%).  Apr. 4, 2020 1.5 mg.  May 9, 2020 1.375 mg.  June 6, 2020 1.25 mg. (9.10%).  July 4, 2020 1.125 mg. (10%).  August 15, 2020 1.0 mg.  Oct 24, 2020 .875 mg.  Nov. 28, 2020 .75mgJan 16, 2021 .685mg (8.7%).  Feb 13, 2021 .62mg. March 12, 2021 .56mg.  May 1, 2021 .375mg.  May 29, 2021 .25mg. June 26, 2021 .0125mg. July 25, 2021 .065mg. August 22, 2021 .048mg.  October 2, 2021 .043mg.  October 10, 2021 .038mg.  October 23, 2021 .035mg.  October 30, 2021 .032mg.  Nov. 13, 2021 .030 mg.  Dec 4, 2021 .0285 mg.  Dec 11, 2021 .0265 mg. Dec 18, 2021 .0246 mg. Dec 25, 2021 .023mg. Jan 1, 2022. 0 mg. OFF COMPLETELY

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Symptoms That Seem To Have Resolved Update: Glo's urinary issues and her cortisol mornings. 

For many months (maybe years actually) Gloria has struggled with urinary symptoms. Hours would pass and she would not sense that she had to urinate. Or she would go to the restroom but would sit there and not urinate.  Or she would go to the restroom multiple times and urinate a little or not at all.  It was very frustrating to watch, of course, because  I know how awful it feels when I have a full bladder or have that pressure feeling from a urinary tract "infection like" situation.  I believed these observations to be that she was having urinary urgency, pressure, maybe even pain, although she could not articulate to me what was happening. The worst time I recall about this was when we were driving home from Florida last year (April.) Even though she drank fluids in the morning and along the road, this child did NOT pee until we hit Indiana! Folks, that was at least eleven hours!  Don't know how many of you have woken up in the morning and drank fluids all day and not urinated until 7pm at night, but that is just not right!  It was an awful drive for me (and I can only imagine how uncomfortable for her)...I was so uncomfortable FOR her. Luckily, it wasn't always that bad but this was just a vivid memory for me.  It also is a good time stamp to remind me that this has been going on for over 12 months...it might actually be more like 2 years.  Anyhoo...

Recently (last few weeks), Gloria has been getting up to go to the bathroom on her own (as she used to do before all this iatrogenic BS) and actually urinates completely when she goes.  She also has been telling me "I have to potty, Mom" if we are doing something or going somewhere and then goes to the restroom and actually urinates.  This means she is sensing when her bladder is full, has the brain power to connect the dots to get up and go,  and her urethra is functioning to start and stop streams as it should.  What a freaking blessing!!  Praise The Potty gods!!

Also, even though her sleep schedule is still screwed up (she had a great 2 or 3 weeks of normal sleep but not so much right now) she wakes up calm!  So now...when ever she wakes up, she is calm, has "sleepy eyes", talks/or responds appropriately to sentences, and participate in relatively normal morning functions.  She doesn't have that wild-eye, agitated, get up and pace the house syndrome!  She has struggled with the cortisol morning issue off and on during most of her taper (over 2 years) and many, many months since jumping to zero. It has been many weeks since she has experienced one.  It is so wonderful to walk in her room after I hear her stir, see her pretty blue eyes and hear her say back to me after I say, "Good Morning, Gloria" with a....... "Good Morning, Mom"   :) 

Gloria is still not her normal self.  I hope to post more updates about her cognition, memory, 'emotional cycling' and other waning symptoms in the future.  But for now, I thought this bit of "Good News" would nice for those of you who find significance on this Spring Weekend!

Thank you to those of you who have wished Glo well ( @goosie, @carefulprayer, @rachelsusan, most recently) and I wish all of you, continued healing.  Peace, Glosmom

2016 - Oct -Daughter started Risperdal (for steroid induced psychosis that never went away after stopping prednisone)

2017 - Jan- weaned from 1.5 to 1.0 in 2 weeks then 1.0 to .5 in two weeks and then off. Feb. 3 weeks of increased psychosis, pacing, insomnia, other awful symptoms so late Feb  - Back on 1.5 mg Risperdal. May  - decrease to 1.25mg, two weeks later 1.0mg - symptoms started again. June - held steady at 1.25mg for 6 weeks and switched to liquid (3 ml syringe). July - started 10% taper every 3 weeks, October -  .8 mg, December - .7 mg .

2018 -Jan- 0.65 mg,  Feb- 0.59,  Mar-0.50, late April - .40mg, July- .36 mg, Aug - switched from 3 mL syringe to 1 mL syringe for more accuracy (her dad and i were not sure we were giving her the same dose when in between the 'dashes' on the 3 mL syringe.) Aug -.30 mg (3mL syr)/.44 mg (1 mL syr) difference due to med in the tip of both syringes). Sept- .28 mg (3mL syr)/.42 mg (1 mL syr). Oct - .16 mg (3 mL syr)/.30 mg (1 mL syr). Nov.- .06mg (3mL syr)/.20 mg (1mLsyr). Dec. - tip only/unmeasurable (3mL syr)/.10 mg (1mLsyr)

2019- Jan -.06 mg (1 mL syr), Feb- .025 mg (1 mL syr), Feb 27, 2019 - jumped to zero!!

• Administrator

Oh, thank you for that lovely update. It sounds like you're both feeling better!

Since Glo went off completely Feb 27, how has she been doing overall?

Sorry about the poor sleep. These tips might help

Tips to help sleep -- so many of us have that awful withdrawal insomnia

Music for self-care: Calms hyperalertness, anxiety, aids relaxation and sleep

What is the sleep cycle?

Melatonin for sleep: Many people find it helpful

TV or computer use in evening can disrupt sleep: Bright light signals the brain that it's daytime

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi Glosmom, 

Thank you for writing here about the wonderful progress Glo is making!  I am glad to hear how much she is healing.

I also have those urinary problems, and it gave me hope to read your post tonight.

Hope you enjoy the weekend and take good care!

CarefulP

My psychiatric drug history goes back, on and off, to 1999.  This is my taper chronology:

Jan. 2018:                        900 mg  Lithium                      1 mg Risperidone               250 mg Lamotrigine 

Jan. 2018:                        0 mg  Lithium*                        1 mg Risperidone               250 mg Lamotrigine 

Jan. 2019:                        0 mg Lithium                           0.625 mg Risperidone       175 mg Lamotrigine

Jan. 2020:                       0 mg Lithium                           0.260 mg Risperidone       175 mg Lamotrigine

Feb. 2021:                        0 mg Lithium                           0 mg Risperidone              175 mg Lamotrigine

August 2021                    0 mg Lithium                           0 mg Risperidone              0 mg Lamotrigine

Measuring doses: The Withdrawal Project at the Inner Compass Initiative website, which explains how to do the microtaper to make it as smooth as possible   Nutrition: The Clean Gut Diet by Alejandro Junger, MD, and Viva Naturals Omega 3 Fish Oil Supplements.  Psychological: "Dr. Bruce H. Lipton Explains How To Reprogram The Subconscious Mind" (on YouTube) and PSYCH-K (an alternative healing modality).  

She sounds like she's progressing wonderfully! What a blessing. We take the most simple things like knowing when to go to the bathroom for granted. But I'm thrilled to hear she's getting back to her more "normal" ways as time goes on. Much love to you and Glo ❤

Celexa 10mg: 2007 to June 2018, stopped CT

No meds: June 2018 to December 2018

PROTRACTED WD-- major depressive episode for 2+ weeks

Lexapro 10mg: December 12, 2018 to January 19, 2019, severe adverse reaction

Celexa 10mg: January 20, 2019

June 24, 2019: 9mg

July 22, 2019: 8.5mg

Jan 8, 2020: 8mg

Aug 25, 2020: 7.2mg

Supplements: Magnesium, Fish Oil

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you @Altostrata, I hadn't really thought about trying to use melatonin for Glo, but I may try that.  She has gotten into a bad habit the last couple weeks, of not falling asleep till early morning (3am to 7am) and then may sleep up to 6 hours.  So she is all backwards. It hasn't been that way for too long as she was falling asleep between 11pm and 2am and getting anywhere from 5 to 10 hours of sleep before that.  So the melatonin may be a good assist to get her back on the right track of falling asleep in the evening (9pm to 11pm).

Overall she is making progress from her jump to zero, 13 1/2 months ago. She has had the typical window and waves pattern over these months but her baseline is improving over all.  Especially in the last couple months..... her overall mood is better, her ability to talk is better and her emotional cycling patters are getting further apart, less intense and shorter in duration.  The current world situation is not helping, unfortunately. So it will be nice when we can get her back to her Day Program and back into some more healthy social interactions.  We are pleased to see some good signs although disappointed with how long this whole journey is taking.  Us and everyone else though, eh? :)

In all honesty, even though we tapered her over ~ 2 years it was probably too fast for her CNS.  My belief with antipsychotics are that after each drop (whatever the %) the holds should be at a minimum 8 weeks, otherwise the withdrawal affects are cumulative and have to be 'unwound' once zero is reached.  So she probably could be considered a too fast taper or even a CT, really.  I don't regret getting her off the poison, but do know her recovery is taking more time.  I have more hope now than I have ever had though,  that she will continue to improve and maybe....just maybe she will recover fully.  Can't go all in on that 100% recovery just yet though. :)   Thank you so much for your kind reply!  Your website and support are truly a wonderful gift to all who are trying to get their lives back after these horrible drugs.  I do, and will continue to do so, pass along this site and its wealth of information to anyone who will listen!!  I hope all is well for you and your loved ones.

Thank you so much @carefulprayerful and @puthappinessfirst for your continued support and well wishes!  I wish the best for both of you and hope for the day that I get to turn this young girl's story into a Success Story Post!  Warmest Regards, Glosmom

• Administrator

You're welcome, Glosmom. Please come back and tell us how you and Glo are doing. Stay safe!

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

I’m very glad to hear how well Gloria doing.  How wonderful for both of you!  To be done with cortisol mornings!  What a huge relief that is for me!  It will change her life so much.  All my best, R

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/16629-rosetta-ct-may-2011-too-fast-taper-feb-2017/?page=25

2001-2011 Celexa 10 mg raised to 40 mg then 60 mg over this time period

May 2011 OB Doctor's Cold switch Celexa 60 mg to 10 mg Zoloft sertraline (baby born)

2012-2016 - Doctors raised dose of Zoloft up to 150 mg

2016 - Xanax prescribed - as needed - 0.5 mg about every 3 days (bad reaction)

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Late 2016- Began (too fast) taper of Zoloft

Early 2017 - Trazodone prescribed for bedtime (doseage unknown)

Feb 2017 - Completed taper/stopped Trazodone

Drug free since Feb 2017

2017 - Unisom otc very rarely for sleep

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you @Rosetta, for your support and well wishes!  Happy to hear they are gone for you as well!  Glosmom

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

I am posting something I placed on Rosetta's timeline, just to keep it on Glo's thread.

"Thank you, again, Rosetta for going even deeper.  Gloria is mentally handicapped so her ability to communicate, learn and understand was always different than "normal" before this iatrogenic medication event 4 years ago.  But she was happy and could talk and communicate...it was just always in her simple, sweet yet "special way."  So all of these awful and tragic things happening to her brain would be very difficult for her to express if she was functioning at her full (pre med injury) level.  So now that her brain has been hijacked it has been even more difficult to try and understand what is happening.  She pretty much stopped talking all together for about 2 years...but her speech and talking has improved and increased just in the last few months. It has been in these last few months that she has begun talking about what she is 'seeing' and feeling although it is cryptic.  It is a puzzle for me to solve sometimes when the words/emotions come rushing out as they don't really make sense to me....but I know she is trying the best she can to talk about what is going on.  I think she has the same issue you spoke about...she knows it is a spoon but can't find the word for spoon.  Anyway....her expression and talk is getting better and more understandable.  I am sure it is the DP/DR, irritability, vision floaters, distorted sounds from a fan.....all of that!  It just comes out that she sees ghosts and is dead.  So, again, from the bottom of my heart.....your descriptions are clues to what may be happening to her.  It is a wealth of information that I cherish.  So again, my gratitude is overflowing. Glosmom"

💜💜

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/16629-rosetta-ct-may-2011-too-fast-taper-feb-2017/?page=25

May 2011 OB Doctor's Cold switch Celexa 60 mg to 10 mg Zoloft sertraline (baby born)

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

• 1 month later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Update - It has been 15 and 1/2 months since Glo jumped to zero.  I just wanted to document that I took Glo on a 4 day /3 night trip this past weekend.  In comparison to the trip I took her on a year ago April to Florida, she did much better.  She had no urinary/bowel issues during the drive or while we were there. The trip was less stressful on me and she was much better at following instructions and enjoying herself away from home.  She is still healing and has a long way to go. However overall, she is talking more, focusing better, agreeable to get out more and is starting to return to some of her normal habits (as normal as things can be as we return to normal from COVID 19 issues.)  I am able to have conversations with her (simple) and she is able to express her emotions/fears and describe some of her feelings and thoughts.  For example, on our trip she was hanging out on the deck with all of us and said, "I can't remember anything these days."  As bad as that sounds....we all laughed because she was able to tell us that.   I was then able to help her understand that she is healing and not having a good memory is common with people going through what she is going through and it will hopefully return soon!   She is also now able to tell me, "No, mom, I don't want to do that...that scares me."  If I am asking her to go somewhere or do something.  Whereas before she would just yell and swat and be agitated.  She does unfortunately continue to struggle to get on a normal sleep schedule and she still has mini anger spirals that we have to work through. But they are much shorter and much, much less intense.  She also still struggles with anxiety and fear but again, at a much lower level.  Her cognition is not what it used to be at all....so I hope that starts to kick in soon.

I laugh at myself as I look back on my notes over the past 4 years of this journey.  I used to document any little improvement and remark that she was healing!! But compared to the healing she is doing now, I see that I was grabbing at anything I possibly could to give myself hope.  I know it was (and still is) a survival mechanism to focus on the positive and remain hopeful.  However, the healing she is doing now....is really more substantial as she slowly progresses toward her "normal" level of functioning (pre iatrogenic medication nightmare).  This is good news....not so much that I used to say she was 30% healed when she actually wasn't .....but that the healing she is doing now is very promising.  I continue to have hope that throughout this second year of being off meds she will continue to progress in wonderful ways.  

Stay strong and stay hopeful.  I wish all of you who are suffering continued healing.  Warmest Regards, Glosmom

• Administrator

Glosmom, you are maybe the best mother ever. It is a delight to read your accounts of Glo's recovery.

The drug effects and tapering must have confused and frightened her a great deal, but with your love, she is emerging again.

Because Glo is feeling better, I added our cheerful "here comes the sun" symbol ☼ to the title of your Intro topic, to show she's recovering.

Please continue to let us know how Glo is doing. I hope you will add her story to our Recovery Success Stories eventually!

• Mentor

@Glosmom: that is a fantastic update. I am so happy for both of you.

• Prozac | late 2004-mid-2005 | CT WD in a couple months, mostly emotional
  • Sertraline 50-100mg | 11/2011-3/2014, 10/2014-3/2017
  • Sertraline fast taper March 2017, 4 weeks, OFF sertraline April 1, 2017
  • Quit alcohol May 20, 2017
  • Lifestyle changes: AA, kundalini yoga

"If you've seen a monster, even if it's horrible, that's evidence of divinity." – Damien Echols

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you for the "here comes the sun" symbol @Altostrata!!    When I first saw it, I was scared to death thinking, "oh my....Glo has so much more healing to do....we aren't ready for the 'here comes the sun" symbol!!"  Then I calmed myself down....haha....and thought....the symbol represents 'feeling better' and she is feeling better.  She is not anywhere near a Success Story, yet, but we are up for the challenge!!!  I am forever grateful to you, and this website, for being a guiding light on this journey. It has been the hardest 4 years of my life (and Glo's obviously.)   I am hoping we are over the hump of the worst of it.  Many blessings to you always!

And thank you @FarmGirlWorks.   The road is long to hoe, as you very well know.   I wish you continued health and peace.  Warmest Regards, Glosmom

Sending all my love to you, Gloria, and the rest of your family. Your updates on your daughter are always the best and so inspiring. 

Celexa 10mg: 2007 to June 2018, stopped CT

No meds: June 2018 to December 2018

PROTRACTED WD-- major depressive episode for 2+ weeks

Lexapro 10mg: December 12, 2018 to January 19, 2019, severe adverse reaction

Celexa 10mg: January 20, 2019

June 24, 2019: 9mg

July 22, 2019: 8.5mg

Jan 8, 2020: 8mg

Aug 25, 2020: 7.2mg

Supplements: Magnesium, Fish Oil

• Mentor

@Glosmom This is a wonderful update, it just warms my heart to see how a kind mother you are!

Sending love to you and to your daughter❤️

Cymbalta 30 mg- 60 mg 

06/2016-  10/2018 ( Cold Turkey) 

• Mentor

Hi Glosmom,

Thank you for your update. It really has been a difficult journey, for both you and Glo. So glad you are both getting some much needed relief. I hope it continues to get better and better for both of you.

I am not a health professional in any way.  I do not give medical advice.   Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a professional medical practitioner.

April 29, 2022 900 mg to 800 mg (11%), May 29, 2022 800 to 700 mg (12.5%), June 20, 2022 700 to 650mg (8%), July 20, 2022 650 to 575 (12%), August 20,  575 to 500 (13%),  Sept 20, 2020 500 to 475mg (5%) Nov 7, 2022 475 to 425 (11%), Nov 21, 2022 500mg

HISTORY FOR ZOLOFT TAPER

Feb. 2016 to June 2016  - Was on 150mg Zoloft.  Put on Gabapentin at 900mg a day in 2016 due to antidepressant withdrawal. 

Quit Zoloft (Sertraline) June  2016,  reinstated 50mg of Zoloft July 2016.  From July 2016  to October 2016 went from 50 mg down 2.3 mg. I up-dosed in November 2016 to 12.5 mg. Held there until January 2017 when I started a much slower taper.

Dec. 10 2016  - switched to Liquid Zoloft (Sertraline) @ 12.5 mg.   Jan. 4, 2020 1.875 mg (6.3%). Jan. 25, 2020 1.75 mgFeb. 29, 2020 1.625mg (7.10%).  Apr. 4, 2020 1.5 mg.  May 9, 2020 1.375 mg.  June 6, 2020 1.25 mg. (9.10%).  July 4, 2020 1.125 mg. (10%).  August 15, 2020 1.0 mg.  Oct 24, 2020 .875 mg.  Nov. 28, 2020 .75mgJan 16, 2021 .685mg (8.7%).  Feb 13, 2021 .62mg. March 12, 2021 .56mg.  May 1, 2021 .375mg.  May 29, 2021 .25mg. June 26, 2021 .0125mg. July 25, 2021 .065mg. August 22, 2021 .048mg.  October 2, 2021 .043mg.  October 10, 2021 .038mg.  October 23, 2021 .035mg.  October 30, 2021 .032mg.  Nov. 13, 2021 .030 mg.  Dec 4, 2021 .0285 mg.  Dec 11, 2021 .0265 mg. Dec 18, 2021 .0246 mg. Dec 25, 2021 .023mg. Jan 1, 2022. 0 mg. OFF COMPLETELY

That’s wonderful!  You are the best mom!!  She’s so lucky to have you.  She will continue to improve.  My memory did come back, and it’s not as good as it was, but it is getting better. 

All my love, Rosetta

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you @puthappinessfirst @Amira123 @RachelSusan and @Rosetta, for your kind words and support!  It means so much and I am eternally grateful.   I wish all of you continued success with your healing journeys.  Glosmom

Hi Glosmom.  Thank you for this hopeful update!  So glad for Glo and you that she is off this drug and experiencing so much healing :) 

• 6 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

22 Month Post Zero Update
Wanted to document a few updates for Glo.  Today marks 22 months since Glo jumped to zero from risperidone.  She will turn 25 tomorrow and so I have a bit of sadness in my heart as she basically has been ‘missing’ from her own life for almost 5 years now.  However, all is not gloom and doom.  I think it is important to come back and post for others so that they know although it is a long road to hoe….to not give up because improvements do happen.  I think it is also important for people who are looking for a quick fix to understand….there is none.   Just time, and then more time after that.

The lucky ones who don’t experience withdrawal or those whose withdrawal is limited to a few months to a year, probably don’t quite understand what the rest of us have to endure.  It is a true testament to the strength of the human spirit.  Nothing has challenged me more in life than this, and I am not the one experiencing the withdrawal.  Just a Mother who loves her child and wants so much for her brain to heal.  
I posted this at 15 ½ months and now have to laugh at myself AGAIN…..

“I laugh at myself as I look back on my notes over the past 4 years of this journey.  I used to document any little improvement and remark that she was healing!! But compared to the healing she is doing now; I see that I was grabbing at anything I possibly could to give myself hope.  I know it was (and still is) a survival mechanism to focus on the positive and remain hopeful.  However, the healing she is doing now....is really more substantial as she slowly progresses toward her "normal" level of functioning (pre iatrogenic medication nightmare).  This is good news....not so much that I used to say she was 30% healed when she actually wasn't .....but that the healing she is doing now is very promising.  I continue to have hope that throughout this second year of being off meds she will continue to progress in wonderful ways.”

I have to laugh again because, the same mind set still exists for me.  I was/am grabbing at every little straw of goodness to keep rowing the boat of positivity. However, I do want to confess that after I posted that 15 ½ month update, Glo really did quite awful for several months.  Probably from month 16 to 20 ½ months it was a very difficult time for her.  She continued to have horrible insomnia, horrible emotional spirals, lots of agoraphobia, very little communication and yadayadayada.  It was a rough time and it seemed as though we were back at square one.  I was losing hope that Glo’s brain would actually heal. Maybe because she has a ‘special’ brain to start with. I did continue to look at whatever good improvements I could see, but it was a rough time and other things were going on in my life at the same time too.    When people would ask me how “Glo” was doing I would always say, “Her goods are getting better, but her bads are still really, really bad.”  

Until about a month and ½ ago…..which would be around 20 ½ months.  Glo’s overall mood started smoothing out.  We noticed that the emotional spirals were coming less frequently, for shorter periods of time, and were not as intense.  Now mind you, I have said that before on here (thus the laughing at myself as mentioned above)….and it was true. However, now, it is really very noticeable to see the ‘spinning’ cycle slow down.  

Glo rarely has angry spells any more.  She rarely has crying or yelling spells, either…except when she is watching a sad movie.  She continues to have no urinary issues that I can observe.  She continues to NOT have any signs of pacing or what I figured was ‘akathisia’/that inner torment that would keep her moving and / or in a constant state of irritation.  

She is doing better at communicating what she does and does not like. She can tell us which movie she wants as opposed to us just picking one for her.  She tells us when songs come on that she does not want to hear.  She is getting better at saying what food she wants to eat or not eat. Although this communication is more frequent, she is still not near her ‘pre medication injury’ level. 
Glo used to easily tell us all these things and be able to control her own TV, Phone, Ipad , Shower, Washer/Dryer, Microwave. Get her own food if she was hungry and move about freely from inside and outside the house.  She still, unfortunately, is not doing many of those things independently.  But again, we are widening her conversations around those things…which is an improvement.

Glo is also able to talk more about abstract concepts. For example, when she was afraid or scared before now, she would scream or cry or swat at herself or me, appear to be ‘in her own head’ talking to herself and not connecting to the world around her.  Now she is able to say, “I am scared, Mommy.”  She is able to tell me this if she is taking a bath, in her bed watching a show, or other places.  She now sits on her bottom and scoots down the stairs, instead of fighting like a wild cat when we need to go down the stairs to leave the house. She is not quite able to tell me why she is scared of the stairs…but at least I know that they scare her and she has figured out an alternative way to handle her fear until she is ready to walk down them as she used to.  She has no issues going up the stairs…just down them.

Glo is now starting to tell me about the conversations she is having with herself.  It appears she is having memories or intrusive thoughts but when I ask her who she is talking to, she tells me.  She doesn’t give me the entire thought or memory but she is able to respond to my question and give me a little bit of info about it. This is helpful to me because I can then try and piece together if it is a memory from the past or she is still mixing up her dream state with present conditions.

She has been coming to sleep with me on a few occasions in the night, and tells me she is scared.  We have actually been able to have some midnight conversations when this happens. This is way better than the pacing, running, screaming and crying she used to do for nights, weeks and months on end.

Glo still struggles with falling asleep at night but I know this is due to COVID and the fact that her Day Program has still not allowed her to return because she doesn’t keep her mask on independently.  She wears a mask fine for me when we go out, but they won’t help her keep it on. So, until she has a reason to get up every morning, I know she will struggle with falling asleep. The good thing is most days, once she falls asleep she is sleeping for 6 to 8 (sometimes even 10 hours) at a time. Which is a HUGE improvement.  

Well, this post is getting way too long, so I will wrap it up.  Overall Glo is doing better.   I see it, her dad sees it and most of the family commented over Christmas that she seems ‘better.” Glo is still no where near her ‘pre’ self but she is continuing to improve.

The advice I would give to anyone trying to cope with the length of time it takes to ‘get back to normal’ would be….compare yourself to your worst moments during tapering and withdrawal and see if you are better. Do not compare yourself to who you used to be…..that can be very upsetting. But when you look back and see that things are sooooooooo much better than the worst times, it continues to offer hope and proof of healing.

I will come back again and post positive updates when they happen.  I have gone to full time work again and my life is more hectic, but I will return.

May all of you continue to have hope on this journey!!  May more healing find you in 2021….don’t give up!

Peace be with you, Glosmom

I’m very happy you are seeing these improvements, and that they are accelerating.  I had trouble with stairs for years.  

I started falling down stairs long before I quit Zoloft, long before my medication was switched cold over 9 years ago.  My right foot didn’t connect with my brain.  I know that now, but I could not have told anyone why I fell.  I simply fell the same way I drop things and spill things out of the blue for no apparent reason.  I believe it is because of dystonia so slight I don’t feel it, but the muscles just do not react the way they should.  It’s rare now that I fall.  I still marvel that stairs are not an issue for me very often.

Poor Glo.  It breaks my heart that she has been so scared in the night.  I used to wake up and ask my husband to talk to me as I was terrified.  There were several months I needed him to sit next to me and stay awake because I was afraid to go to sleep without him as a guard.  It’s truly insane what these drugs do to people.

I’m coming up on 4 years off.  I know you will see Glo start to get better and better.  People say there is so much progress during year three.  There is, and there is more during year four.  It starts to speed up a bit, the lows are higher, the highs are higher, and there are longer periods between waves for most people.  I seem to be on the 2 waves a month plan, but that’s for other (hormonal) reasons, I believe.  

I am so pleased that you are reaching this point.  You and Glo have been through quite the ordeal, and I am hoping she will herself again soon.  It’s so hard to wait for that to happen, I know.  All that wonderful sleep she is getting!  That is really healing. 

What a shame she can’t attend her program.  Perhaps her skin is still too sensitive.  I have noticed that issue to lessen for me in the past two years to the point that it is almost gone.

Hang in there, Glo’s mom.  She is so lucky to have you.

All my best, Rosetta

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

• Moderator Emeritus

Oh......thank you Glosmom.

18 hours ago, Rosetta said:

Hang in there, Glo’s mom.  She is so lucky to have you

And yes, I completely agree with ^ 

And please take care of yourself too.  Hectic isn't all it's cut out to be......not that it has ever been looked at as a decent way of life.  I mean, I do know some who do seem to thrive, running hectic, but I think it can sometimes catch up with you.  You do, however, sound like superwoman!  So maybe you'll be fine.

Happy Holidays too.  Much joy in reading the incremental progress of Glo, and how you keep moving forward in hope!

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you for your kind words @Rosettaand @manymoretodays!

It is comforting to hear that lots of progress is to be made during year 3 (and 4)!  Glo actually did very well at dinner for her birthday last night. We were pleased that she actually smiled a few times, laughed once or twice and blew out her candles!  Big improvement over last year's birthday.

And I am not choosing the hectic, for sure! Was required to go to full-time work, my 83 year old mother broker her hip and wrist, son moved into a new house that needs painting from top to bottom (and now a baby on the way), the Holidays and of course, caring for Glo all the while.  haha....I am managing. Just saying 'no' to alot of things in order to not run out of energy.:)

Wishing you both a lovely New Year!!  Thanks again for your support, Glosmom

Hi @Glosmom

Thank you so much for this update on Glo's story!  The improvements are so encouraging.  I'm so glad to see she's feeling more like herself, with all the ups and the downs.  There have been so many valuable take-aways for me from Glo's story. 

I slept 3 h Sun. night and 8 h last night.  I'm choosing to expect the best tonight!  

Glad to see you are a Moderator!  Well deserved.

Sending you and Glo wishes for a peaceful and healthy new year, 

CarefulP

• 2 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Gloria’s 2 Year Post Zero POSITIVE Update

It was 2 years on February 27th that Glo jumped to “zero.”  The journey continues but I wanted to offer a brief hopeful summary to those suffering from antipsychotic withdrawal.  I have been recording Gloria’s journey (now and 87-page document) since October 1, 2018.  Before that I was using paper and pencil. 😊 I have a lot I could say but time is precious these days so I will keep it simple….

Overall, the “goods” keep getting better and the “bads” aren’t as bad as they used to be.  For more detail, please read her thread.

Timeline of healing since jumping to “zero”
Month 0 to Month 6 – not a lot of change from her tapering days.  We thought we would magically see her ‘all better’ and it never occurred.  She continued with neuro-emotional cycling that changed from a minute to minute, hour by hour, day by day bases.  Sometimes we would see “sparks” of good but she was very far from being normal and had little ability to talk and care for herself.  We took trips an tried to do things but nothing really turned out as good as we wanted.

Month 7 to Month 15 – the neuro-emotional cycling seemed to spread out.  More time would pass between the good moments and the bad moments. We thought we ‘saw patterns’ definitely noticed her monthly cycle played into many ‘bad times.’  We could see improvements but we had to continue to read and hope and search for things that would make her better because she was still so far from who she used to be.  Biggest issues were insomnia, urinary issues, neuro-emotional cycling, zero cognition, sparse communication. Her baseline was improving somewhat….

Month 15 to Month 20 – THINGS GOT WORSE!! Folks, during this time it felt as bad as it ever felt during the tapering process and any of the post-zero bad times.   Her good times were better, but her bad times were AWFUL. I was losing my resolve to believe she would ever heal or that I would ever see my beautiful, happy, smiling Glo again.

Month 21 – Month 23 – Things got better.  Her baseline improved, her ‘good’ times were increasing and her ‘bad’ times were decreasing.  More talking, more smiles….still not Glo but life seemed less stressful and more hopeful. We hired a ‘companion’ to come ‘hang’ with her a couple days a week, since she is not allowed into her day program due to them not being willing to help keep her mask on all day.  Companion has been able to take her out for short trips to McDonalds, or shopping, on walks etc. Companion saw improvements in her mood.  Still suffers with insomnia and emotional spirals but they were coming less frequently and the duration of them was much shorter.  Talking a bit better...still poor cognition/learning ability.

Month 24 to current – She had the best day in 5 years yesterday!  We were out at my mother’s for 6 hours visiting family, then we went to my son’s house for a visit.  She came home and road her bike.  Was talking in sentences (although Glo is still having difficulty expressing her thoughts. She gets her words all jumbled…but she is making great efforts to try and convey her feelings and wants)  She then wanted to go for a walk after her bath!  She was like the energizer bunny. 😊 She also is now swimming once a week with her companion (although this ramps up her CNS and she doesn’t sleep the night after…but pros outweigh cons here.)  She is starting to write her name again and her cognition seems to be improving.

I don’t know if this/these improvements will stick or not. I believe they actually will. I imagine, however,  it may cause a follow up downward cycle. She truly seems to 'get better' after 'bad' spell.  If we continue to see these GREAT improvements, I actually have hope that one day I will be writing Glo’s success story.....in 2021 maybe ;)

Antipsychotic withdrawal sufferers…….You CAN HEAL..just hang in there. Stay off the medication (or taper slowly until you get there)  do NOT expect life will be roses after you jump to zero.  Do NOT be discouraged if all hell breaks lose, months after you jump to zero.  Keep taking care of yourself and go slowly and steadily.  The brain has to work (cycle) its way through healing and nothing but time (away from drugs) will help.
Wishing all of you a Hopeful Spring and Healthy 2021! Glosmom

Edited by Glosmom

• Mentor

Than you for this wonderful update.  I appreciate your closing paragraph; the words of encouragement mean a lot.

HISTORY FOR ZOLOFT TAPER

I’m so glad that your daughter is getting better. It is truly heartbreaking what happened to her. I’m withdrawing from antipsychotic medication at the moment and your update gives me hope. Thank you!

She’s so lucky to have a Mum like you.

2019 Nov-2020 January 5mg Olanzapine 

2020 January-2020 March 2,5 mg Olanzapine 

2020 March- 2020 August 5mg Olanzapine

2020 August-2020 Sept 2,5 mg Olanzapine 

2020 September-2020 November 5mg Olanzapine 

started 10% reduction 

2021 March 3,5 mg Olanzapine 

2021 April 2,5 mg Olanzapine 

• Mentor

Great to read the positive update! Things will continue to get better! 

I follow The Plant Paradox lifestyle by Dr.Gundry. This lifestyle has given me my life back and I feel better than I have ever felt in my life. It has enabled me to finally get off of this medication and truly live my life. Nutrition is the key to health!!!!! 

2008 to 2019  - 20 mg Paroxetine

Attempted 2 CT's around the 5-6 year mark. Were absolutely terrible and reinstated. Was never explained by the doctor the seriousness of the short half life of this drug. 

2017 - Attempted a tapered discontinuation of this drug and reinstated after being unsuccessful.

2019 - Feb. 12 - After a three month taper I am off of paroxetine. The 3 months were terrible, awful withdrawal feelings. I followed the doctors guidelines for the reduction of this drug and now know it was way too fast. 
2019 - Oct. 12 - 8 months off paroxetine. 75% improvement since coming off the drug. Definitely have had tons of challenges along the way. Let’s go!!!! 

2021 - Feb. 12 - 24 months off paroxetine. I have minor challenges now. Tinnitus/Headaches are still around but are reduced by a massive amount. 

@Glosmom

Wow,very encouraging words to me and fellow members .

Offlate birthday wishes to miss glo.

May god bless her with abundance of joyful, prosperous, peaceful days with full of great health.

Great news!, that our glosmom is a moderator now.

That's very helping of fellow members,as you have divine patience in your general demeanor.

I appreciate whole heartedly.

As always warm regards.

Cold turkeyed risperidone (1m.g)and trihexyphenidyl combination drug out of ignorance,In August 2016 after one month use.

Withdrawal symptoms settled at dreamful,disturbing sleep.

Thus introduced to olanzapine for sleep.Started using olanzapine out of ignorance.

Tapering olanzapine 10 m.g from February 2017.

May 2018 :Still suffering dreams,Still tapering olanzapine at 0.625.100ml water+2.5 mg olanzapine. June 2018 22.5ml=0.57mg.July 2018 20ml,August 2018-17.5ml,September 2018-15ml,October 2018 10 ml,December 2018 7 ml, BrassMonkey slide method so far at lower doses.2 nd December cold turkeyed , only to reach minure doses as reinstatement to cutshort endless tapering process.4rth December started 1ml.

Almost no symptoms and sleep is better,So started 0.5 ml from 17-12-2018.

"0"from31-12-18.Re birth happened from 10- 2020,as rejuvenation took whole2019.Completely recovered now.

It’s so good to read this story of Glo’s.  I believe this positive phase will last, and Glo is very lucky to have you!!

• 5 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

2 years and 6 months since jumping to Zero update

It was 2 and ½ years on August 27th.  Glo is continuing to heal.  She is back at her day program 2 to 3 days a week.  She went swimming several times this summer. She doesn’t remember how to swim but she was agreeable to work on her swimming skills with me.  She once again is enjoying the water she so used to love.

She continues to sleep better (although still has a couple nights a week of insomnia.)  She is continuing to communicate better.  She has tried to tell me about what she has gone/is going through and it comes out “what happened to me?” or ‘it is hard to ‘splain, mom.” 😊   This is progress because she is cognizant that she just went through HELL and now is feeling better, but can’t really tell me all the crazy stuff her brain did or is doing.  I am very proud of her for talking with me about it.  Mostly I just ask, “you doing okay now (meaning this moment in the day)?” and she will say, “yes, I’m fine”, or give me a thumbs up, or a smile.  PRICELESS!!

She now walks down the stairs by herself without scooting.  She verbalizes ‘she is scared’ of things still, but this is happening way less.  Her mood seems to be stable most of the time with very little volatility. She is agreeable to go anywhere (out to dinner, shopping, zoo, swimming, visit family) although when she gets there, the circumstances can overwhelm her a bit.  But she wants to go and isn’t throwing fits or getting angry any more.  She is calm and actually interacts from time to time.  This makes me so happy because we are getting back to our old days of doing EVERYTHING together!!!

Her cognition has started to improve in the last 2 weeks. She can actually remember who she saw that day or yesterday.  She is identifying colors, numbers and words much better….although she is not at her normal level at all.  But I would say, cognition improvements are the most recent occurrence and that makes me so very happy and very hopeful, that this young whippersnapper might make it through this hell after all.

Overall…..she is still not the Glo she used to be, but her progress has really ramped up, especially in the last 2 weeks.  

I will return with more positive updates when they occur.

Warmest Regards to All who are on this Healing Journey. Hang in there….time is making everything better. Glosmom