bgoggles1: Postpartum and withdrawal

bgoggles1

I hope somebody can help me. I was on Zoloft for eight months at a low-dose of 25 mg during my pregnancy. After the pregnancy, it was not working. I had a lot of anxiety. I tried to go up on the dosage and it did not work, so my doctor prescribed Lexapro. She told me just to cut the 25 mg in half for two weeks and introduce Lexapro. Once I introduced Lexapro I had a bad reaction.  

Now it's been four months later and Im still withdrawing from Zoloft. I'm having terrible dizziness and feeling off balance still.  My anxiety has been through the roof. I've been to the ER multiple times for panic attacks. Not my depression is back with a vengeance. However I'm not tolerating meds very well

They tried to start me back on a low-dose of Lexapro at 2.5 but it caused a lot of major major anxiety.  I'm also having terrible brains zaps that run from really inside my brain to my neck. When I turn my head I had them when I talk I have them when I walk I have them. I think my nervous system has been shot. I should also mention my feelings are everywhere from confusion to worry and fear. I feel like I'm losing my mind. 

Do you eventually recover from this? Was their permanent damage to my nervous system when I stop Zoloft so quickly. No other medication is working and I'm trying to work with a psychiatrist on this.

Do you think my brain will eventually adjust on Lexapro? It's been now three weeks with Lexapro almost 4.Any help would be appreciated I need some reassurance. 

Edited by baroquep
white Space

Here it goes

March 2015- started 5mg Lexapro

November 2015- switched over to Cymbalta 30mg

August 2016- stopped Cymbalta cold turkey

Early December 2016- took Zoloft 25mg 

Tried to then cross taper over to Lexapro 5mg then up to 10mg for a week

Aug 2017- Stopped lexapro- not sure if seratonin toxicity was present. Er prescribed klonopin- currently tapering .25mg. 

Sept 2017-Tried resperidal 1mg for two weeks

November 2017- Tried Lexapro again 2.5 mg then to 5mg for two weeks then stopped

• ChessieCat changed the title to bgoggles1: Withdrawal from Zoloft now 4 months
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi bgoggles and welcome to SA,

We ask all members to create a drug signature so we can see your history at a glance.  Please use the following format:

A request: Would you summarize your history in a signature - ALL drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly?

• Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses.
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs. 
  • Any drugs prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years.
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago)
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016.
  • Link to Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

This is your own Introduction topic where you can ask questions and journal your progress.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Administrator

Welcome, bgoggles.

How much Lexapro did you take? Lexapro is several times stronger than Zoloft. It could be the Lexapro dosage was too strong for you.

Are you taking Lexapro now? At what dosage? What time of day do you take it? Do your symptoms have any daily pattern?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 1 month later...

I am not on anything anymore. I quit the lexapro 6 weeks ago. I'm still struggling with head symptoms... brain zaps, dizziness, pressure, mental fog, feels as if my brain is moving around in my head. I just don't understand! I was not on these meds for that long but it seemed as if I shocked my system getting off Zoloft then trying lexapro again. Plus, I had a baby 7 months ago. My body must be very sensitive. Please tell me I will heal if all this!! 

Here it goes

Aug 2017- Stopped lexapro- not sure if seratonin toxicity was present. Er prescribed klonopin- currently tapering .25mg. 

November 2017- Tried Lexapro again 2.5 mg then to 5mg for two weeks then stopped

• Administrator

Withdrawal symptoms tend to very gradually go away, but it can take a long time.

A very low dose of Zoloft, even 2mg, might help. You'd stabilize on it, then taper off it later. See About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

Do you have any Zoloft left? To take a small dose, you can make a liquid from it. See Tips for tapering off Zoloft (sertraline)

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• 4 months later...

I was wondering if someone can help me possibly the administrators.

I had made a post on here before.

However, I wanted to bring a new topic up. I have been on antidepressants for a little over two years.

I was on Lexapro 5mg for 9 months then they switched me to Cymbalta 30 mg for 9 months.

However I found out I was pregnant and was pretty much forced to quit the Cymbalta cold turkey. Then the Depression hit me during my pregnancy and I thought I was relapsing so they put me on Zoloft 25 mg for the rest of my pregnancy and then after the baby was born. However, after the baby was born I was having some anxiety, I went up on the dosage of Zoloft and it made me very jittery. I then went to my doctor and she tried to cross taper me over to Lexapro and started off with a too high of a dose.

The doctors might have thought that I had a little serotonin toxicity however I'm not sure that was the case. I was not ever officially diagnosed with serotonin syndrome after this.

After this event, I was forced to pretty much stop everything and then went into pretty severe withdrawal. My first months of withdrawal were hell. I was having severe panic attacks, psychosis, hallucinations, and akethesia. I went to find a good psychiatrist and he tried me on Risperdal a very low dose for like 2 weeks. I did not feel comfortable taking it so I told him I wanted to stop and then about two months later he tried me back on a very low dose of Lexapro 2.5 mg and it sent me through the roof. I woke up one night with a loud bang in my head and very intense shock to my brain. And then stopped the Lexapro completely.

Ever since I stopped the Zoloft I was going through extreme withdrawal and after the Lexapro reinstatement my withdrawal has gotten more severe, these are the symptoms that I'm currently dealing with. Intense brain zaps, I turn my head and I get a shock to my brain. Severe dizziness in the brain. My brain feels like it's moving around. I feel off balance when I walk. Weakness, Muscle and joint pain especially when I wake up in the morning severe neck pain and I have all the neural emotions such as dark depression, feeling very disconnected to reality, feeling off, not interested in any of the things that I used to be interested in, and just an overall lethargy. I also have this overall inner feeling of coming down with the flu or my nerves are just acting up all over my body. My brain fog is so intense that it's hard to organize things, pay bills, do any sort of intense work or even just work around the house. I feel like I'm literally going crazy. My symptoms also get more intense when I move around, like walk around the house and do things in the kitchen. My dizziness gets more intense and the pressure in my head gets more intense.

This is been extremely difficult on my family. We've had to have a lot of help from my family for I have three kids. My family has now been convinced that I should not still be withdrawal and it's mostly postpartum depression.

The thing is is that withdrawal already makes you feel like you're going crazy and then telling me this makes me even feel more like I'm going crazy. Do you all believe this is still withdrawal ??

I am 11 months from quitting Zoloft and 6 months to 7 months out from the Lexapro reinstatement. I have very difficult headaches and the tight band around my head with the squeezing. It's just very very hard to deal with.

The reason why I got on the drugs in the first place is because I got a pretty bad case of mono after my second was born and I was having some anxiety and panic attacks at work. It seems as if the virus caused havoc on my nervous system.

Do you all believe that I will heal from the withdrawal given the fact that I am postpartum? Your advice would be appreciated, I have read a lot of things on here and I really appreciate all the encouragement that's on this website about healing.

Also, I have pretty much then committed to not go back on any medication. I tried the reinstatement of Lexapro and it did not work. I'm not sure why my doctor didn't reinstate me with Zoloft but I'm not going to go back and try that now.

I feel like I am too late in the game and too much healing has already occurred for me to go back on any medications.

The only thing that did work in the beginning was a very low dose of Klonopin. However, I had no idea about these medications so I agreed to take it. I had such bad anxiety and akathisia that the Klonopin helped at the beginning. I'm now titrating a very low-dose off. I will be off by the end of August.

Edited by manymoretodays
just spacing for ease of reading

Here it goes

I have all the same symptoms.  I assure you this is WD and not your post partum depression.  I am 14 months out and still have a lot of debilitating symptoms.

My post partum symptoms: low mood, slept more, occasionally teary, irritable.

Despite the above: able to take care of my children, on the preschool board, play dates, socialize, date nights with husband, travel with family, manage and organize family household.

WD symptoms: Severe mood swings: rage, anger, suicidal depression, anxiety, apathy, anhedonia, uncontrollable crying spells, in ability to handle stress, severe headpressure, burning brain, weird brain sensations (pulsating, rolling, stabbing, pointing, throbbing), cognitive dysfunction, nerves on fire, flu like ache, electrical current running through my body, tingling, numbness, and so many other strange symptoms i’ve never experienced in my life.

Medical professionals and other well meaning people in your life will tell you it’s PPD or anxiety, but the are wrong.  They have no understanding of the severity of the symptoms.  It’s really indescribable.  Also, they ‘hear’ you but don’t really listen.  I was told repeatedly I just had anxiety when I was truly suffering from serotonin syndrome.

You May want to ask the mods if a reinstatement can help lessen your symptoms.  I’m sorry you’re going through this, but am glad you have family to help you with your kids.  You are not alone.

TTHO

Mid 2014 - June 2016 (~ 2.5 yrs): sertraline 75mg. Under advice of my Pysch NP, weaned off in 1 month

Sept 2017 - Feb 2017 (6 months): Latuda (dose 20mg up to 80mg). Under advice of Psych NP, weaned off in 6 weeks (Jan - mid Feb). Tirtated down 20mg every 2 weeks.

Nov 2017 - Feb 2017 (3 months): lamictal 100mg. Abruptly taken off. This was the "wean": 100mg, 50mg, then off

Feb 2017: sertraline 150mg for 1 week to bring me out of a severe suicidal depression. Abruptly stopped due to serotonin syndrome. Tried to reinstate 50mg a week later, but the serotonin syndrome symptoms came back. Not possible to reinstate sertraline.

March 2017: remeron 7.5mg. Took one dose that knocked me out for two days. Refused to take it again

February 2017 - March 2017: Ativan 1mg. Took 5 pills total spread out over the course of 3 weeks. No longer taking it.

6/16/18 - 6/26: celexa 1.25mg

6/27/18 - 6/29: celexa 2.5mg, 6/29 had burning and agitation within 30min of dose

6/30/18 - present: celexa 1.25mg

Thank you for the reply. Are you having any windows? I have some here and there but sxs are just less intense. My head sxs are my biggest ones.... Terrible pain, my brain banging around, severe dizziness, feeling like I'm being pulled down. I I still have terrible face Sensations as well. I have pressure in my face, nerve pain, even my teeth hurt. It's hard to even drink really cold stuff or hot stuff. It's like all my symptoms are in my head. I do still get the Burning Sensations an electrical current through my body Etc but those come and go but the head symptoms are just unbelievable. its awful. I can't even do stuff in the kitchen without getting severely dizzy and my brain moving around in my head. It's just horrid. But, I've heard in time these symptoms do disappear. I hope you get relief as well.

Here it goes

I don’t have windows where I feel 100%.  It’s more like tolerable moments vs wanting to off myself. ☹️

Yes, the head symptoms are horrendous.  I  also have face pain.  It makes me feel very agitated.  I have burning, tightness, tingling, numbness, and pressure in my face as well.  When it’s really bad it makes me want to rip my head off.

That is my hope that the symptoms will get less intense over time and will gradually disappear.  I hope that will happen soon for both of us.  Stay strong.  This is an uphill battle.

Are you working now?  How long wil you family be able to help you out?  I don’t have family in town so i’ve Had to hire a nanny.  Simple tasks are impossible for me to accomplish when the head symptoms ramp up.  

Mid 2014 - June 2016 (~ 2.5 yrs): sertraline 75mg. Under advice of my Pysch NP, weaned off in 1 month

Sept 2017 - Feb 2017 (6 months): Latuda (dose 20mg up to 80mg). Under advice of Psych NP, weaned off in 6 weeks (Jan - mid Feb). Tirtated down 20mg every 2 weeks.

Nov 2017 - Feb 2017 (3 months): lamictal 100mg. Abruptly taken off. This was the "wean": 100mg, 50mg, then off

Feb 2017: sertraline 150mg for 1 week to bring me out of a severe suicidal depression. Abruptly stopped due to serotonin syndrome. Tried to reinstate 50mg a week later, but the serotonin syndrome symptoms came back. Not possible to reinstate sertraline.

March 2017: remeron 7.5mg. Took one dose that knocked me out for two days. Refused to take it again

February 2017 - March 2017: Ativan 1mg. Took 5 pills total spread out over the course of 3 weeks. No longer taking it.

6/16/18 - 6/26: celexa 1.25mg

6/27/18 - 6/29: celexa 2.5mg, 6/29 had burning and agitation within 30min of dose

6/30/18 - present: celexa 1.25mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi goggles and welcome back aboard,

I think yes, you are experiencing W/D.  And it does sound like it has been quite the journey so far.

If you could kindly put some of your information into a signature for us that would be great.  This is section below each of our posts. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/12364-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

This will give us a better idea of your situation at a glance.......so that we can further advise you.  Thank you.

The kind of reinstatement that we suggest is at a much lower dose than what most prescribers recommend.

"and after the Lexapro reinstatement my withdrawal has gotten more severe "

http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/7562-about-reinstating-and-stabilizing-to-reduce-withdrawal-symptoms/

Try and read carefully through at least the first couple of posts ^

All for now and welcome back.

Love, peace, healing/inrecovery, and growth,

manymoretodays

p.s.  I'm a moderator. We can help you further when your information is a bit more organized.  I did some spacing to your initial post.

This can be helpful too in your beginning education around W/D.  Again.......special attention to the first couple of posts below(there's a whole index of other posts around W/D in the first post below, but definitely get to the one by Rhiannon).

http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/603-what-is-withdrawal-syndrome/

I've got your introductions all merged as well.  Just one Introduction per customer.......that's our policy. 

Edited by manymoretodays
clarity, courtesy :-) spacing

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• ChessieCat changed the title to bgoggles1: Postpartum and withdrawal
  • Moderator Emeritus
On 11/26/2017 at 3:08 PM, ChessieCat said:

Hi bgoggles and welcome to SA,

We ask all members to create a drug signature so we can see your history at a glance.  Please use the following format:

A request: Would you summarize your history in a signature - ALL drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly?

• Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses.
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs. 
  • Any drugs prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years.
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago)
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016.
  • Link to Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

This is your own Introduction topic where you can ask questions and journal your progress.

Maybe this will help^

Drugs, doses, dates.  Include the klonopin.

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• Administrator

Welcome, bgoggles.

Please stop tapering the Klonopin for now. That could be adding to your withdrawal symptoms.

What times of day do you take your drugs, and their dosages? Are the symptoms better or worse at any particular time of day?

Many people do better with fish oil and magnesium supplements, see
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/

http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

A lot of people find them helpful. Try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you.

Taken in small doses throughout the day, magnesium in particular can be helpful for anxiety.

Thank you for the reply... I just hate the fact that I am on Klonopin. I just want to get off this drug. I hate to be on it longer than I need to be. Plus, it's not helping me. I'm afraid it might be adding to my issues with the symptoms. I'm just not sure when my nervous system will settle down. I hate to be on the Klonopin for too much longer. Thank you for the suggestions of the supplements. I will give those a try at very low dosages. 

Also, my symptoms are worse in the morning... Get intense around mid morning, then less intense in late afternoon, evening .. but always still there. I really have not had great windows. I take the Klonopin mid morning. My anxiety has been better since last year but the tremors, brain sensations are very intense. 

Here it goes

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you for the signature bgoggles,

It does sound like the klonopin is now helping rather than hindering from what you say below.

On 6/4/2018 at 6:20 PM, bgoggles1 said:

Also, my symptoms are worse in the morning... Get intense around mid morning, then less intense in late afternoon, evening .. but always still there. I really have not had great windows. I take the Klonopin mid morning. My anxiety has been better since last year but the tremors, brain sensations are very intense.  

It does make sense that symptoms of anxiety would ramp up and be worse just around the time that your daily dose is due.

Clonazepam has a half-life of 18 - 50 hours, depending on how you metabolize it. It has a peak blood concentration of about 4 - 8 hours.  Which does seem to fit with what you are describing now, as far as your anxiety goes. 

Trying to further taper the klonopin right now is certainly not the answer to your A/D W/D symptoms. 

I hope you can see that.  Let's just get your A/D withdrawal symptoms as stable as possible, and give your poor brain and nervous system a rest, and a chance to recover, before tackling the benzo withdrawal.

Are you managing to sleep okay?

Take a look at the first couple of posts in the links on magnesium and omega 3's that Alto gave you. 

Try only one new thing at a time and get in the habit of keeping notes on paper as well of your symptom pattern:

Keep notes on paper about your drug dosages and daily symptom pattern

And it sounds like you are under a lot of pressure from your family to just "get well now".  Unfortunately......many or most all of us don't find that others really "get" this whole W/D thing.  I'm glad you are here and wanting to go the distance to stay free of antidepressants. 

Here are some further topics which you might find helpful in understanding and coping now as well:

Brain Remodelling

Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

Fear, terror, panic, and anxiety

Claire Weekes' Method of Recovering from a Sensitized Nervous System

You are now 6 months off of Lexapro?

Have you ever taken citalopram(Celexa is the brand name)?  And if so, any reactions to it?

It's possible that a very small reinstatement of that might help with some of your symptoms.

It's described by Alto as a gentler sibling to the Lexapro(your last A/D used). 

We would recommend a 1mg reinstatement.

Try and answer the questions for me.  And then we can go from there.

Take a look at the links that Alto gave you on omega 3's and magnesium as well.

Love, peace, healing/inrecovery, and growth,

mmt

additional link, posted June 6th am

Edited by manymoretodays
edited out weird edit thing that keeps popping up in this post

Thank you for the suggestions.. I'm starting a low dose of fish oil. We will see. About reinstating, I tried to reinstate with Lexapro. If you go back to my signature you would know that I was on the Zoloft the longest. And I am almost a year out of stopping that. I probably should have reinstated Zoloft instead of Lexapro. I appreciate your suggestion for reinstatement however, im a little fearful at this time to reinstate anything. I think just going through the withdrawal is the best option. And as my brain stabilizes and I get more windows, I will need to start tapering very slowly off of Klonopin. My anxiety is not as bad as it used to be. Therefore, I don't think the Klonopin is really doing much of anything.I do not want to be on this drug any longer than I need to. Thank you for your Insight and thank you for your suggestions, I appreciate it. Also, my sleep is okay. I wake up sometimes once or twice a night. for the most part I get 5 to 6 hours a night. I fall asleep easy but I do wake up probably around 2 or 3 in the morning. But I'm usually now able to go back to sleep. I wasn't before so I guess that's a good sign. Thanks again. I really do appreciate all that the moderators do on here. I know it must be so difficult to keep up. There's so much suffering with all this.

Edited by ChessieCat
removed unnecessary quoted post

Here it goes

• Administrator

The Klonopin is doing more than you know. Please keep to a very regular schedule with the Klonopin and let us know if there's any significant change in your symptom pattern.

You can taper the Klonopin later.

2 hours ago, Altostrata said:

The Klonopin is doing more than you know. Please keep to a very regular schedule with the Klonopin and let us know if there's any significant change in your symptom pattern.

You can taper the Klonopin later.

Ok thanks. I will say that I've had way more windows this week than ever before where symptoms are less intense. Thank you again. 

Here it goes

• 4 weeks later...

I just have a quick question for the moderators. I know that you guys see a lot on this website and have more experience in this area but I was wondering when the neuro emotions start fading out? When do you actually see in general people who start to heal, when do you actually see their neuro emotions getting better, one or two years? 3 years? I definitely know it's not an overnight thing but I'm in a pretty bad wave right now and I feel like I am just covered with the organic fear, DP, Dr, severe depression, lack of motivation, Etc. It's just awful. My mornings are filled with crying spells. When you're in the thick of it you really don't feel like you're going to heal. I know we do and I have to keep talking to myself but it's just so overwhelming. I have three small children and it's really hard to cope at times. Any advice would be great. 

Here it goes

• Moderator Emeritus

You know bgoggles......... it's hard to put a time frame on it.  Different variables involved with most of us........time frames of medication usages, different medication(s), etc.   When I used to be in the thick of it I could always find comfort in thinking that this was when the most healing was going on.  All kinds of weird stuff would come up.

Here's a thread that may help to look at.......

Neuro-emotions

And What does healing from withdrawal feel like?

I'll include this link to  brassmonkey's fine work as well.  He's had quite a bit more experience in this field than I.  He wrote a synopsis from what he observed working with many others going through withdrawal, which directly addresses your questionHow long is withdrawal going to take?

Look for the positives ^ and don't dwell on what may or may not be...... in your particular case.

It CAN feel extremely overwhelming........I hear you.  You are more than welcome to journal a bit here on your introduction.  It may help you over time to see your own progress.  I'm sure it can be hard to get much online time with 3 little kids in the summertime........ but don't be shy when here........travel about and find some of the other Mom's with small children and share coping, and support, and encouragement.  When you feel ready to do so.  Meantime, explore in symptoms and self care and hopefully you can find new non-drug coping skills that help too.

Morning tears are acceptable.  Some of the harder neuroemotions for me were the angry/irritable stuff.  I think that got better somewhere around a year or so out.  And I could always know inside that..........that was what it was.......neuroemotions and healing.  They would pass fairly quickly too......mini waves I guess.    

If you have to do time outs for yourself once in awhile........do so.  I had to when my now grown child was little.......and I WASN"T even in W/D then!   3 little ones would be very hard while in withdrawal.   Don't feel guilty if you need to employ babysitters or family help.  Tell them you've had an "adverse reactions to medication".  I used that one to explain what was going on with me early on.   Please don't try and over do, or overcompensate, for something that is indeed a very real condition for you right now.  I'm sure you are doing the best you can.  Don't listen to the shame and guilt feelings too, too much..........consider that those emotions are on steroids right now.........not a true indicator of your self and motherhood and all that.

Love, peace, healing, and growth,

mmt

Edited by manymoretodays

Thank you so much for replying. Your message was very comforting. Here's the thing too. Most of my symptoms and withdrawal have been in my head. I still have the burning skin, pins and needles, joint muscle pain, fatigue, Etc but those come and go. But I have intense symptoms in my head every day. It's either severe dizziness and vertigo in the brain, burning brain, my nerves are on fire in through my face, it's like acid has been poured on my brain and into my body, severe mental fog, memory problems, I can't do too much around the house without getting severely dizzy. and I have pretty bad nerve pain in my neck and shoulders that radiates into my head. I'm in a pretty bad way right now with intense ringing in the ears and bringing on all these symptoms. I've been bed-bound quite a bit these past few weeks. This whole journey is very scary to me. Especially the head symptoms, I know I don't have permanent brain damage but it sure feels like it. Are these common withdrawal symptoms that people suffer from? And do they go for most people, especially the ones in the head? I believe I can deal with the neuro emotions by continually talking to myself the physical ones are just out of my control and they are scary. Any comforting words would be great. I know this is definitely not an overnight healing process but it's hard to gauge at what length of time for healing. I have three small children so it is very hard. I have to have lots of help. My parents are over a lot and my husband has to kind of pick up the pace a lot too. It's been hard on the whole family.

Here it goes

On 7/6/2018 at 10:45 PM, manymoretodays said:

You know bgoggles......... it's hard to put a time frame on it.  Different variables involved with most of us........time frames of medication usages, different medication(s), etc.   When I used to be in the thick of it I could always find comfort in thinking that this was when the most healing was going on.  All kinds of weird stuff would come up.

Here's a thread that may help to look at.......

Neuro-emotions

And What does healing from withdrawal feel like?

I'll include this link to  brassmonkey's fine work as well.  He's had quite a bit more experience in this field than I.  He wrote a synopsis from what he observed working with many others going through withdrawal, which directly addresses your questionHow long is withdrawal going to take?

Look for the positives ^ and don't dwell on what may or may not be...... in your particular case.

It CAN feel extremely overwhelming........I hear you.  You are more than welcome to journal a bit here on your introduction.  It may help you over time to see your own progress.  I'm sure it can be hard to get much online time with 3 little kids in the summertime........ but don't be shy when here........travel about and find some of the other Mom's with small children and share coping, and support, and encouragement.  When you feel ready to do so.  Meantime, explore in symptoms and self care and hopefully you can find new non-drug coping skills that help too.

Morning tears are acceptable.  Some of the harder neuroemotions for me were the angry/irritable stuff.  I think that got better somewhere around a year or so out.  And I could always know inside that..........that was what it was.......neuroemotions and healing.  They would pass fairly quickly too......mini waves I guess.    

If you have to do time outs for yourself once in awhile........do so.  I had to when my now grown child was little.......and I WASN"T even in W/D then!   3 little ones would be very hard while in withdrawal.   Don't feel guilty if you need to employ babysitters or family help.  Tell them you've had an "adverse reactions to medication".  I used that one to explain what was going on with me early on.   Please don't try and over do, or overcompensate, for something that is indeed a very real condition for you right now.  I'm sure you are doing the best you can.  Don't listen to the shame and guilt feelings too, too much..........consider that those emotions are on steroids right now.........not a true indicator of your self and motherhood and all that.

mmt

Can you give me a little information on your experience with withdrawal? I am almost a year out from stopping Zoloft. I have cold turkey twice not intentionally. I had to when I was pregnant and the second time my doctor just took me off way to quick and it threw me over the edge. I was tried on two different other antidepressants, an anti-psychotic for 2 weeks and then back on Lexapro for another 2 to 3 weeks after. After I took the Lexapro, my withdrawal symptoms got ten times worse. So then, I felt like I had no choice but to just go into withdrawal. I feel that reinstating is really not an option at this point. My brain zaps got very severe. I thought I was having seizures. Then all these head symptoms really really started. I'm just really in the thick of withdrawal and I'm getting a little concerned because I really don't see much improvement. I know it takes time and I'm trying to be patient and really talking to myself and treating myself right with diet and what I can do to keep myself healthy. But I tell you, the head symptoms are very scary. I have them almost 24/7. I do have some windows mainly at night and some days they are less intense. They also mostly come with burning and tingling throughout my upper arms. Sometimes it feels like I'm being poisoned in my veins. And it radiates up into my head. I absolutely hate it. Man, I hope this improves. Any words of wisdom and encouragement would be great.

Here it goes

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi bgoggles,

Can you see my signature on the device you read here with?  I had a longer history on the medications and am past my childbearing age now.........so my experience may not be the same as yours.  Healing and recovery can be variable based on different factors like age, and previous medications, and I think that yes, absolutely if people can get off these medications more slowly and cautiously than you or I did......... oftentimes healing can occur faster.  But luckily........we are all a bit different.  Attitude IS hugely important.  Hope.  Things like that.  And I see you are venturing out and around the site a bit too.  That can be great to support and seek support from others.  Because it's really hard to find understanding for withdrawal anywhere else for so many or most of us.

After I arrived here though and began tapering off my last medications..........I pretty much had to take several months to take it easier overall.........before some of the symptoms let up enough.  And then I don't have small kids at home.........so in that way.........perhaps luckier, yet it can be really helpful to have other people around a fair amount too.  Which it does sound like that's likely in your present situation.

I also wasn't trying to work, which was helpful.  I had cold turkey ed pretty much off years of Lexapro ......... before I got here and then wound up with 2 additional medications to get off of.  So I too, had a fair amount of symptoms due to an unstable nervous system post medication.

On 7/10/2018 at 4:41 PM, bgoggles1 said:

But I tell you, the head symptoms are very scary. I have them almost 24/7. I do have some windows mainly at night and some days they are less intense. They also mostly come with burning and tingling throughout my upper arms. Sometimes it feels like I'm being poisoned in my veins. And it radiates up into my head. I absolutely hate it. Man, I hope this improves. Any words of wisdom and encouragement would be great.

Yes, some of the symptoms are scary..........as you read around though........... and I don't think I gave you this link yet..........Dr. Glenmullen's symptom checklist

You'll see that alot of the symptoms do fit for withdrawal and most do resolve with time.  It's a good idea to keep a journal or use a calendar or even print out the checklist and use it.  That way you can appreciate progress that you might have otherwise missed.

Are you still having the dizziness and tinnitus?..........I think you had noted that as well above.

Are you still on the 0.25 mg of klonopin as well?

To find out more about some of the symptoms you are having and what others have used for coping or relief, you can always just type in survivingantidepressants.org and then the subject(for example burining and tingling arms).  Or go to our symptoms and self care section and take a look through some of the top pinned topics first to see what might apply with your particular symptoms.  I had a lot of head whooshes for quite awhile.  I don't think have had any lately though.

I know.......it's a bear.  It does improve though.  And you are having some less intense days!!!  Which is great.  And I'm glad you are attentive to diet.  Are you able to do gentle exercise of some sort?  Movement is what really started to save me or make it seem like things went easier.  I mean you don't have to do real vigorous stuff to gain benefit.

I'll try and check back sooner so post away in the meantime okay?  This is a good place to do so...... and it still helps me to post on my own behalf once in awhile too.........I mean just on my own introduction........just to get it out and express myself.  B)  It's improved though........for me........by leaps and bounds!

mmt

Edited by manymoretodays

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Update bgoggles.......how are you doing?  You haven't checked in for awhile.  I'm hoping some of your symptoms are improving.

On 6/3/2018 at 11:43 AM, bgoggles1 said:

The reason why I got on the drugs in the first place is because I got a pretty bad case of mono after my second was born and I was having some anxiety and panic attacks at work. It seems as if the virus caused havoc on my nervous system.

I had meant to comment on this before as I had mono also.  Way back, when I was 17 years old.  It was a bad case though, and took a long time to recover my energy back from.  I've always wondered if that had something to do with me seeking treatment for depression, around the age of 30.  The Epstein Barr virus never completely goes away I guess.

Okay......let us know how you are faring.

mmt

hi there. Thank you so much for checking up on me and your words of encouragement. I'm sorry I have not come back on here and updated. I'm still hanging in there but it's been quite rough. I've had my waves and windows. I think my head symptoms are a tad, tad improving. But it's so hard to know. Right now I'm dealing with extreme anxiety, some Tremors, and that 24/7 fear. Seems to always be with me. That went away and now it's back. Even when I get a glimpse of Hope, symptoms always come roaring back. feels like I'm scared of everything. Even getting dressed makes me feel anxious. I absolutely hate it and it seems like sometimes I feel like I'm in this dark world and I just cannot get out of it. But, I have to normalize it and know it's just a heightened nervous system right now. 

I'm just trying to take things day by day, not read too much online, and just accept this condition. I have come to the realization, finally, that this process of healing takes time and for me, maybe longer than ever imagined. 

Thank you so much for checking in. I do keep in touch with a few members on here via private message. I try not to read too much. Because it can bring me down very quickly. 

Here it goes

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the update bgoggles.  I'm glad you are keeping in touch with a few members. 

It's good to reach acceptance........and it will get better.........never lose sight of that.

Try and stick with the symptoms and self care section for a bit.  The pinned topics there have indexes with links to all kinds of healing stuff you can do when you can get online with some kind of device.  Yoga, guided meditations, tips for sleep, etc.

non drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

important topics about symptoms, including sleep problems

Here's a couple ^ with lot's of coping ideas and links

I understand how other's suffering can be hard to read about, when you are going through so much yourself.  I sometimes have to avoid as well.  I thought I had Cancer and Lyme disease this past week.  However, I just need to get a root canal done, and am stressed about family coming to visit.  So it goes sometimes for me.......even still.  B)  I don't mean to make light of those conditions........  I do understand, is all I mean.

Try not to be a stranger here on the main introduction area.  Check in periodically.

mmt

On 8/21/2018 at 11:24 PM, manymoretodays said:

Thanks for the update bgoggles.  I'm glad you are keeping in touch with a few members. 

It's good to reach acceptance........and it will get better.........never lose sight of that.

Try and stick with the symptoms and self care section for a bit.  The pinned topics there have indexes with links to all kinds of healing stuff you can do when you can get online with some kind of device.  Yoga, guided meditations, tips for sleep, etc.

non drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

important topics about symptoms, including sleep problems

Here's a couple ^ with lot's of coping ideas and links

I understand how other's suffering can be hard to read about, when you are going through so much yourself.  I sometimes have to avoid as well.  I thought I had Cancer and Lyme disease this past week.  However, I just need to get a root canal done, and am stressed about family coming to visit.  So it goes sometimes for me.......even still.  B)  I don't mean to make light of those conditions........  I do understand, is all I mean.

Try not to be a stranger here on the main introduction area.  Check in periodically.

mmt

Mmd, thank you for responding. I do have a question. I've had a really rough withdrawal. A lot of symptoms that I experienced our physical. My main biggest symptom is all within my head. I feel like that I've done some nerve damage around my head and maybe into my neck. I have a lot of neck pain, discomfort in my neck and head that makes me feel like I want to move my head around all the time. I have shooting nerve pain in my head migraine like. Dizziness, zaps. However, these zapps are getting a bit better. I have this very tense pressure in my head that builds at certain time of the day. It goes into my face and it's very hard to focus and talk to people. And the brain fog is very intense. I've had other symptoms and other parts of my body but they have come and go. Is this normal in withdrawal? Are debilitating head symptoms constant normal in withdrawal? I also have the psychological symptoms, such as the impending doom, fear, depression, DP, Dr. They are lifting slightly. But my head symptoms are constant. It's hard to find people that have had symptoms that are constant. Any advice would be great. I'm a little bit nervous about the head symptoms.

Here it goes

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi bgoggles1,

Yes, you have had a really tough go of things.  No doubt you are feeling nervous about it all.

I know it won't take the symptoms away, but you might find comfort in some of Dr. Glenmullen's writings and thoughts.  In the first post of this link, not only is there a checklist that you can print off and use, but there are links to some articles as well.  Dr. Joseph Glenmullen's withdrawal symptom checklist

I think what you are experiencing is "dystonia" when you describe the pressure in your face, as well as that head and neck pain that makes you feel like you need to move it around a lot.  The term "dyskinesia" refers more to when people get uncontrollable movements of body parts.  At least that's my understanding, at present.

And then there's neuroemotions adding to and magnifying every symptom.  This stuff is no picnic in the park.

What's normal in withdrawal?  That's a great question........and fortunately or unfortunately as Altostrata says.........we are all n=1, as far as our stories, healing and recoveries go.  Others do experience a some of or all of what you are still experiencing.  I just want to ask one question.  Do you remember when the dystonia symptoms started?  Were you still on any medication?

I did have a bit of the dystonia, as well......I just referred to it as tension,  and still, to this day get a discomfort in my upper back......when stressed a bit about upcoming events.  I have a thing that is filled with dry rice that I can microwave to heat it up and then drape over the area(s) of discomfort.  I also use magnesium for relief.  See magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker

I imagine that any gentle exercise that you can do may help too.  Walks, yoga and stretching come to mind.  I do "pool yoga stretching" sometimes, after or during swims.

So psychological symptoms feel like they are lifting?  Yet, the physical sensations don't seem to be?  And you will be coming up on a year off, after briefly trying Lexapro again in November?  Just checking my reading comprehension........also good to know though.  Try and keep records.  Well, that's 4 questions total, and me playing with bolding things.

Keep on looking for the space between symptoms and focus on that. 

Love, peace, healing, and grrrrrowth(that part is for me!)

mmt

1 hour ago, manymoretodays said:

Hi bgoggles1,

Yes, you have had a really tough go of things.  No doubt you are feeling nervous about it all.

I know it won't take the symptoms away, but you might find comfort in some of Dr. Glenmullen's writings and thoughts.  In the first post of this link, not only is there a checklist that you can print off and use, but there are links to some articles as well.  Dr. Joseph Glenmullen's withdrawal symptom checklist

I think what you are experiencing is "dystonia" when you describe the pressure in your face, as well as that head and neck pain that makes you feel like you need to move it around a lot.  The term "dyskinesia" refers more to when people get uncontrollable movements of body parts.  At least that's my understanding, at present.

And then there's neuroemotions adding to and magnifying every symptom.  This stuff is no picnic in the park.

What's normal in withdrawal?  That's a great question........and fortunately or unfortunately as Altostrata says.........we are all n=1, as far as our stories, healing and recoveries go.  Others do experience a some of or all of what you are still experiencing.  I just want to ask one question.  Do you remember when the dystonia symptoms started?  Were you still on any medication?

I did have a bit of the dystonia, as well......I just referred to it as tension,  and still, to this day get a discomfort in my upper back......when stressed a bit about upcoming events.  I have a thing that is filled with dry rice that I can microwave to heat it up and then drape over the area(s) of discomfort.  I also use magnesium for relief.  See magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker

I imagine that any gentle exercise that you can do may help too.  Walks, yoga and stretching come to mind.  I do "pool yoga stretching" sometimes, after or during swims.

So psychological symptoms feel like they are lifting?  Yet, the physical sensations don't seem to be?  And you will be coming up on a year off, after briefly trying Lexapro again in November?  Just checking my reading comprehension........also good to know though.  Try and keep records.  Well, that's 4 questions total, and me playing with bolding things.

mmt

1 hour ago, manymoretodays said:

Hi bgoggles1,

mmt

The symptoms change all the time in my head. One day I'll have nerve pain, the next day I'll have an electrical feeling in my head and makes it hard for me to focus and concentrate and it radiates down into my arms. The next day I'll have significant pressure in my head. And sometimes it can change from hour to hour. it's very difficult for me to keep track of symptoms. I literally have symptoms every day. And I do have a pattern each day. My mornings are someone okay. But by mid-morning my nervous system really starts acting up and my symptoms start increasing till about 2 in the afternoon. Then I get a little bit of a break by three. I will admit though that things are much better since even a few months ago. I have improved. I am able to do more and function better. However I am still having intense symptoms. I've had these symptoms ever since I got off the Zoloft last August. I had severe dysautonomia when I would wake up in the morning. My heart we would go into the 140s. And I would literally blackout. I do not have that anymore thank goodness.So im definitely better from this time last year. honestly, I think I've had a pretty severe withdrawal compared to a lot of people. I know that everyone says that but symptoms in my head are just unbelievable. I just tried back some magnesium. So we'll see if that helps. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that I quit cold turkey twice and had severe reactions to reinstatements.   I think I just need encouragement that I will get better. I definitely know that I've had a tough go of things. It's been a very hard year for me and for my family. 

Here it goes

• Moderator Emeritus
23 hours ago, bgoggles1 said:

I just tried back some magnesium. So we'll see if that helps. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that I quit cold turkey twice and had severe reactions to reinstatements.   I think I just need encouragement that I will get better.

It will get better bgoggles1.  And.........we can celebrate the whole year now off the Zoloft/sertraline!!!  Happy dance.

Yes......dysautonomia.  Me too.......not severe, that's one of my favorite terms though to describe my NOW.

I hope the magnesium helps, and then if so........go on and try some Omega3's or fish oil, if you have not yet.  I thought I wouldn't tolerate them at first and then tried some back and I think it helps.  King of supplements: Omega- 3, fatty acids(fish oil)

Lot's of different forms with the magnesium that you can experiment with too.  If I miss too many days on that I find that I do get some more of the the dysautonomia. In my feet and even my hip flexor.  The nervous system is fascinating and complicated, that's for sure.

You have had it severe, no doubt in my mind.  I'm sure it is very difficult for your family to still see you struggling so.    I'm seeing lot's of improvements though.......progress in healing..........that's great! 

How are you doing with the klonopin now?  Are you still just doing the 0.25mg in the morning?  It might be worthwhile to do a drug and symptom log on paper.   

Date.  Time on the left.  Drug and/or supplement, name and dosage.  Symptoms.  It does help to see patterns more clearly. 

23 hours ago, bgoggles1 said:

And sometimes it can change from hour to hour. it's very difficult for me to keep track of symptoms. I literally have symptoms every day. And I do have a pattern each day. My mornings are someone okay. But by mid-morning my nervous system really starts acting up and my symptoms start increasing till about 2 in the afternoon. Then I get a little bit of a break by three.

Okay.  Love, peace, healing, and growth,

mmt

Edited by manymoretodays
grammar