PrivatePyle: introduction

PrivatePyle

In 2014, I was diagnosed with major depressive disorder. I tried Lexapro, Zoloft, and Effexor XR. None of them gave me any benefit whatsoever. I didn't feel any better for a single day. Yet, when I went off them I felt crummy. I went from sleeping 8 hours per night to 6. My appetite increased and it became harder to keep weight off. Two years later I decided that this problem was with me for life so I may as well return to an SSRI with the hopes of returning to normal. In October 2016, my CPN advised me to try Wellbutrin. The Wellbutrin was the first thing that had any affect on me. I had more energy, but also more anxiety. I then asked if I could go back to the Lexapro or Zoloft. She was not warm to that idea because I had clearly told her that they did absolutely nothing. We compromised. She said that Prozac was what usually gets the results for her patients. She asked if I wanted 10mg or 20mg. In my naivety, I thought, "Well these pills don't do much for me so let's start with 20mg." I had an anxiety attack within hours of taking the first pill. After taking the third pill, I couldn't take anymore and quit. This was December 2, 2016. The anxiety lasted for a couple weeks, and when it stopped I felt worse than ever and still do. I could just kick myself for taking this poison. Everyday, I wish I could go back. I never would have went back to the CPN if I knew that in 3-6 years there likely was light at the end of the tunnel.

I feel that what makes me different from other people on this site is that I never received any pleasure or positive effect whatsoever from SSRIs. I was not even on them that long. My impression was that the way drugs work is that you get pleasure now, but are taxed later. There is no free lunch. I accepted and understood that going in. However, in my case, I am still paying for a lunch I never got. For that reason, I don't like to refer to this as withdrawal, but as brain damage. It would have been better if they prescribed me cocaine. That's how awful these drugs are.

Today, I manage my misery with St. John's Wort. It does help. I removed gluten and casein from my diet and that also helps. Other than that, I am suicidal basket case on a daily basis.

April 2014: 5 mg Lexapro (the beginning)

May 2014: 10 mg Lexapro

June 2014: 50 mg Zoloft

July 2014: 100 mg Zoloft

Oct- Nov 2014: 75 mg Effexor XR

Nov- Dec 2014: 150 mg Effexor XR

Nov 29- Dec 1 2016: 20 mg Prozac (Yes, only 3 days and caused further damage!)

Dec 2016- Feb 2018: 900 mg St. John's Wort

January 2018- April 2018: 100- 200 mg per week of Dihexa

May 2018- June 2018: 40 mg per day of 7,8-Dihydroxyflavone

August 2018- September 2018: 800 mg of Skullcap (4:1 concentrate) per day

• ChessieCat changed the title to PrivatePyle: Introduction
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hello, PrivatePyle and welcome to survivingantidepressants.org.

What are your current symptoms?

It would be helpful if you could summarize your history in a signature - all drugs, dates, doses as well as discontinuations and reinstatements, particularly in the last 12-24 months.  Please indicate whether you tapered the drug (and if so at what rate) or quit cold turkey.

• Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses.
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs. 
  • Any drugs prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years.
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago)
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016.
  • Link to Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

You are not alone.  Many, many members have gotten no benefit from the drugs they've been prescribed, yet are being forced to "pay the piper" in terms of withdrawal.  All pain, no gain is unfortunately an all-too-common occurrence.

Regarding St. John's wort, this link is informative::

Dr Joseph Glenmullen's WD Symptoms Checklist

Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Brain Remodelling

Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

How do you talk to a doctor about tapering and withdrawal?

What should I expect from my doctor about withdrawal symptoms?

Edited by Gridley

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• 1 month later...

PP any update.

Would be excellent if you could do the drug sig that Gridley requested

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

• 2 months later...

I heard of a nootropic called Dihexa on Longecity and was impressed by what I heard. It acts similarly to BDNF, but 10 million times stronger. I know that sounds like hyperbole, but this is coming from people that know what they're talking about. NSI-189 takes a month to begin working and regrows brain cells. Where as, Dihexa begins working immediately and reconnects brain cells, which is what we are more in need of. It's growth effect is so potent that some people have suggested it could be cancerous. However, the studies done with rats show no indication of that so I figured that I'd take my chances.

In January 2018, I purchased 500 mg for $60. I consumed 50-100 mg orally every 2 or 3 days. They say that is way too much, since Dihexa has a half life of 12.68 days, but I have suffered for so long I was extremely eager and willing to take risks. About two weeks in, I started having headaches. A few days later I felt a huge improvement in happiness and mental strength. I was able to ween my self off the 900 mg of St. John's Wort I had been taking for over a year. Before, I was too miserable and weak to get off of it. I was so excited. I figured I found the magic bullet cure and ordered 2000 mg more. However, I have not made any progress since. :(

There is a thread on this website about the benefits of psychedelic mushrooms and someone said that our fragile and damaged brains cannot be helped by being slammed with a hard drug. To that person, I would insist that I have found an exception to that rule. I most certainly have benefited from Dihexa and would recommend trying it for anyone with our ailment. 

Edited by Altostrata
approved post

• ChessieCat changed the title to Privatepyle: Dihexa - breakthrough & disappointment
  • Administrator
3 hours ago, PrivatePyle said:

I most certainly have benefited from Dihexa and would recommend trying it for anyone with our ailment. 

Welcome, PrivatePyle. What do you think "our ailment" is?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

18 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Welcome, PrivatePyle. What do you think "our ailment" is?

Tardive Dysphoria is the name given to SSRI induced depression. Isn't that what we suffer from? Isn't that what this website is about? I didn't mean to be offensive with that. I'm in the same boat as you guys.

• Administrator

We don't call anything tardive dysphoria, that's a term used in journal articles, where physicians communicate with other physicians by creating stereotypes and labeling them.

Each person's case here is different. Many people do not suffer from low mood in particular. Many people experience an emotional anesthesia on and sometimes off the drugs and call that "depression."

What exactly is your "tardive dysphoria" like?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• Administrator
22 hours ago, PrivatePyle said:

I heard of a nootropic called Dihexa on Longecity and was impressed by what I heard. It acts similarly to BDNF, but 10 million times stronger.

We don't endorse using any gray-market drugs or nootropics, no matter how fashionable. You don't know what you're getting, and even if genuine, results are unpredictable in people whose nervous system have been sensitized by going on and off psychiatric drugs. By the way, many of these substances also incur dependency and require tapering.

I'm glad your experiment had positive results for you. If you'd like to discuss your experience in more detail, I suggest http://bluelight.org

55 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

We don't endorse using any gray-market drugs or nootropics, no matter how fashionable. You don't know what you're getting, and even if genuine, results are unpredictable in people whose nervous system have been sensitized by going on and off psychiatric drugs. By the way, many of these substances also incur dependency and require tapering.

I'm glad your experiment had positive results for you. If you'd like to discuss your experience in more detail, I suggest http://bluelight.org

What about the stuff on here about mushrooms? I'm just trying to help people out. I'm not selling anything.

• Moderator Emeritus

From http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/1598-what-will-get-you-warned-or-banned/

On 6/16/2011 at 4:45 AM, Altostrata said:

- Drug shopping or recommending drugs
This is a site for going off drugs. It is not a site for finding out what drug to take next, comparing drug cocktails, or recommending what drug to add. This could be dangerous. People could be hurt by your advice.

(We do not know of any drugs or drug combination that will fix withdrawal syndrome. Reinstatement of the original drug, often at a low dose, sometimes helps and sometimes does not.)

If you feel you must tell a member to seek help from a physician, please specify the physician. Most likely, the member has joined this site because of lack of success finding a knowledgeable doctor.

If you believe taking  psychiatric drugs will help a particular member, please specify drug and dosage. Take responsibility for your advice. If you cannot do this, don't tell people to take more drugs. They don't know what to take and neither do their doctors. I and the staff here on SurvivingAntidepressants.org don't know, either.

For the safety of our members, we cannot permit people to give irresponsible drug advice on this site. If you get a warning for this, please take it to heart.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Administrator
1 hour ago, PrivatePyle said:

What about the stuff on here about mushrooms? I'm just trying to help people out. I'm not selling anything.

Good point. I've put a warning about street drugs, etc. in What Will Get You Warned or Banned.

Personally, I'm not an anti-recreational drug person, but people who come here have vulnerable nervous systems and it's best not to encourage them to take psychedelics, somebody could get hurt very badly.

• 1 year later...

Topic title:  Can SSRI damage make you more prone to concussions?

I used to get on roller coasters all the time growing up. Now, they give me a concussion. One of the few things I enjoy in life, gone. One less reason to keep living. Could the SSRI damage be the cause of this? I'm only 26 and otherwise physically healthy.

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title

• ChessieCat changed the title to PrivatePyle: introduction

How are you determining that you have received a concussion from riding a roller coaster?

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

7 minutes ago, brassmonkey said:

How are you determining that you have received a concussion from riding a roller coaster?

I went on one in October 2017 and got a concussion. I went on one in September 2018 and got a concussion. I don't just get concussions walking down the street.

hat didn't answer my question.  How did you determine you got a concussion? What were the symptoms? How did you injure your head? A concussion has a very specific cause and pathology, we can't answer your question until we can understand what has happened.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

21 minutes ago, brassmonkey said:

hat didn't answer my question.  How did you determine you got a concussion? What were the symptoms? How did you injure your head? A concussion has a very specific cause and pathology, we can't answer your question until we can understand what has happened.

There was nausea and dizziness the day it happened.  The next two or three weeks, I had a constant feeling of pressure in my head. When I drove over a bump in the road, I felt an ache in my head. When I plopped down on a couch too hard, I felt an ache in my head.

I'm finding no published reports of this happening, but SSRIs are commonly used post concussion for treatment. There are no references of SSRIs making the brain more sensitive to physical damage.  If there was no significant blow to the head then I don't think an actual concussion happened.  However, what you describe is consistent with a symptom wave that could be triggered by the sharp movements.

• 10 months later...

LSD Worsened Me

I finally started healing around the three year mark, which was late 2019. Every month or two I get what I call a "surge" in my head. That is, my brain made an leap forwards back to normal. Well, three days ago I decided to try something moronic. Feeling depressed that I am 27 and haven't done much with my life, I decided to try a small dose of LSD. Remember, I wasn't a happy person before I started with SSRIs, but misery is a depthless ocean. Things can always get worse. My justification was that psychedelics are completely different from SSRIs. I had no idea they work by heavily stimulating the 5-HT2A recptors. If I would have known that, I wouldn't have touched it with a ten-foot pole. Even with SSRI damage, I got away with marijuana, alcohol, ephedrine, and even shrooms, which work in a similar way to LSD, but are not as powerful or long-lasting. Those of you on here that promote the "healing benefits" of psychedelics are dead wrong. Do you realize that there are people out there who say SSRIs are healing to the brain? Messing around with the serotonin receptors is never safe and shouldn't be advocated for.

The question is whether I have derailed my brain's healing process. Will my other receptors continue to grow in September or does the three-year clock start over?

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title

• Moderator Emeritus

One of the things which I have learned from being here at SA is to research everything BEFORE taking it.

Like any hiccup in withdrawal and recovery you've probably only made a small set back in recovery.  It is highly unlikely that you have gone back to square 1.

Check out the sub-topics in this topic.  It was recently updated:

are-we-there-yet-how-long-is-withdrawal-going-to-take

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management