Manny78

Manny78: multiple psychotropic drugs - which one first?

Gridley

Muscle spasms are recognized as a withdrawal symptom of tapering Abilify.  Insomnia is a common withdrawal symptom for many psychiatric drugs.

PDF Monthly List of Dr Glenmullen's Symptoms to Print & PDF Monthly List BLANK to Print

The amount you taper is determined by how well you are tolerating the reduced dosage.  When you taper a psychiatric drug, it will not be symptom-free.  But you should be able to tolerate the discomfort and continue your life.  If this is not the case with a 10% per month taper, you could slow it down to 5%.

Manny78

If you get akathisia, what do you? Taper fast or slow?

Manny78

If you get akathisia, what do you? Taper fast or slow? I am tapering abilify. Down to 15,5mg since march 1,2018.

Screenshot_20171125-201110.thumb.png.4a56dc1c25e92b6a402780433872cda2.png

Gridley

Akathisia is a withdrawal symptom, pointing to a too-fast taper. Did it begin when you began tapering Abilify?  I would slow down.

Manny78
On 13/2/2018 at 2:01 PM, Manny78 said:

March 1st,2018

abilify 15,5 mg: 3/1/18

risperdal 2 mg: 05/04/2017

klonopin 0,25mg:01/01/2018

cymbalta 60 mg: 06/05/2014

biperiden 4 mg: 06/28/2011

Manny78
23 hours ago, Gridley said:

Akathisia is a withdrawal symptom, pointing to a too-fast taper. Did it begin when you began tapering Abilify?  I would slow down.

Nope, i had it before,but now it is worse.should i go back to the dose i was before(16,2 Mg) or stay at the lower dose(15,5 mg). I have been on this dose (15,5 mg) for 6 days.

Gridley

Often a small reinstatement can reduce withdrawal symptoms.  Although you've been on the lower dose less than a week, your brain has adapted somewhat to the lower dose.  I suggest you add .5mg for a dose of 16.0 to see if that helps.   

It takes about 4 days for the dose change to get to full state in the blood and a bit longer for it to register in the brain.

Please read
About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms. -- at least the first page of the topic

Edited by Gridley

RealMe
On 11/24/2017 at 1:46 PM, Manny78 said:

Hello, my name is Manny. I was diagnosed 0CD and schizophrenic in 2008, but I been taking benzos and amiptriptiline since 2005. Currently,taking abilify 20mg,risperidone 2mg,cymbalta 60mg,biperiden 4mg. I am tapering klonopin down to 0,27mg from a dose of 1,25mg. I went to see my doctor this week because a blood test that I did. He said my hepatic transaminases are high because of the medication that I take. I am assuming the APs that I take. What can I do to get my liver function well? I know, quitting the APs, but I can t cold turkey. Any advice,please.  

Hi Manny78,

Good luck with your taper.  I was on Abilify until August 8, 2017; and when I began to have side effects the psychiatrist told me to just stop taking it.  Needless to say, that was before coming to this forum and learning to go very slowly.  Abilify was very difficult to come off of, and I would emphasize that it is important to go very slowly.  I've heard that horse radish is good for the liver.  Don't know how scientific that is, but I do eat a little of it now and then.  Drinking water and avoiding anti-inflammatories also helps.  Good luck to you.

RM

Manny78
On 6/3/2018 at 10:39 PM, RealMe said:

Hi Manny78,

Good luck with your taper.  I was on Abilify until August 8, 2017; and when I began to have side effects the psychiatrist told me to just stop taking it.  Needless to say, that was before coming to this forum and learning to go very slowly.  Abilify was very difficult to come off of, and I would emphasize that it is important to go very slowly.  I've heard that horse radish is good for the liver.  Don't know how scientific that is, but I do eat a little of it now and then.  Drinking water and avoiding anti-inflammatories also helps.  Good luck to you.

RM

Hello Real Me. I really appreciate your time to post on my thread. I want to ask you a few questions,did you cold turkeyed abilify? Did you feel worse? You emphasize to do a slow taper. Is that what you suggest me?   I am taking despatic to clean my liver. It contains milk thisle,desmodium,artichoke and choline.

Thank you,

Manny

Manny78
On 6/3/2018 at 10:29 PM, Gridley said:

Often a small reinstatement can reduce withdrawal symptoms.  Although you've been on the lower dose less than a week, your brain has adapted somewhat to the lower dose.  I suggest you add .5mg for a dose of 16.0 to see if that helps.   

It takes about 4 days for the dose change to get to full state in the blood and a bit longer for it to register in the brain.

Please read
About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms. -- at least the first page of the topic

Gridley, I  have already upped the abilify. I read the topic of reinstating and I chose to updose on my own responsibility. 

Manny78

How can i see my signature? I want to update my signature and it doesn't allow me to more than 12 lines.does the updated signature delete your old signature? 

Gridley

The link I sent previously will take you to your signature.  Signatures are limited to 12 lines.  When you press "save" (lower left) it deletes your old signature and replaces it with what you've just written.  Please copy what you have just written into your signature.  Then it will appear with each of your posts, and moderators won't have to search through your thread to find it. 

Manny78

January 1,2018 - klonopin 0,25mg

february 12,2018-klonopin 16,2 mg

february 15,2018 —abilify 17,1 mg

February 24,2018 —abilify 16,2 mg

March 1,2018 —Abilify 15,5 mg

March 7,2018 —Abilify 16,2 mg 

RealMe
5 hours ago, Manny78 said:

did you cold turkeyed abilify? Did you feel worse? You emphasize to do a slow taper. Is that what you suggest me?   I am taking despatic to clean my liver. It contains milk thisle,desmodium,artichoke and choline.

Thank you,

Manny

Hi Manny78,

I don't know anything about despatic for cleansing the liver.  Let me know how it works for you.  Did a doctor or a moderator here recommend it to you?

Yes I did cold turkey abilify on the advice of my doctor.  It was a terrible mistake, and I suffered severe withdrawal symptoms for at least three months.  The doctor said I was depressed and gave me more ADs to get me "through this depression."  The additional drugs made things much worse, I can tell you that.  So, although I heartily recommend a very slow taper from Abilify, I do not have any personal experience in doing so.  Perhaps the moderators can help you with that.  Ideally, a doctor would prescribe slightly lower dosing (10% reductions) over a period of time, but it is difficult to find a doctor who will do that.  I was not able to find one, but my doctor did agree to give me a liquid of the fluoxetine I am tapering from at this time, and I am doing my own 10% reductions.

Make sure you put your questions on your introductions page so the moderators can find and address them.

Keep in touch Manny.  We are on your team!

xo RM

Manny78

Hello,RealMe, thank you for keeping in touch. I am reducing abilify but it is not easy. Because of the liver problem (transaminases high)was adviced to either taper abilify or risperdal . I am taking a lot of medications and I can't finish tapering none. It really sucks not to be able to finish at least one medication. I have been tapering klonopin since 2016.I  was on 1,25mg and now I am at 0,25mg. I am so sorry what your doc did to to you with the abilify. I

I cold turkeyed klonopin too on the year 2007 and I couldn't get out of bed. I am being  advised to go faster in my Antipsychotics taper because of the akathisia. Did you suffer from aka? I reduce very slowly, but I guess I was going faster this time. I don't know. I wish this would be over. The despatic capsules that I take to cleanse my liver were giving to me by the herbalist. I am supposed to do a blood work again to find out if I got better on my liver transaminases.

RealMe
9 hours ago, Manny78 said:

Did you suffer from aka?

I reduce very slowly, but I guess I was going faster this time. I don't know. I wish this would be over. The despatic capsules that I take to cleanse my liver were giving to me by the herbalist. I am supposed to do a blood work again to find out if I got better on my liver transaminases.

Hi Manny,

I did not suffer from aka.  I'm at the other end of the spectrum with extreme lethargy :wacko:  and depression, especially in the morning.  I don't know why I have so much trouble facing the day.  I get better as the day goes on, but the mornings are very difficult.

9 hours ago, Manny78 said:

I am being  advised to go faster in my Antipsychotics taper because of the akathisia.

Manny, who is advising you and helping you figure out how to taper your antipsychotics?  Did you try Gridley's suggestions?  I hope your liver problem is being treated carefully by your doctor.

Best,

RM

Manny78
10 hours ago, RealMe said:

Hi Manny,

I did not suffer from aka.  I'm at the other end of the spectrum with extreme lethargy :wacko:  and depression, especially in the morning.  I don't know why I have so much trouble facing the day.  I get better as the day goes on, but the mornings are very difficult.

Manny, who is advising you and helping you figure out how to taper your antipsychotics?  Did you try Gridley's suggestions?  I hope your liver problem is being treated carefully by your doctor.

Best,

RM

RealMe,yes I tried increasing the dose as adviced by Gridley.My doc didn't do anything about my transaminases.  He knows they are the abilify and risperdal who are causing the problem,but my psychiatrist and him they wash their hands. I have to do some blood work to find out if my transaminases are ok now. 

RealMe
6 hours ago, Manny78 said:

RealMe,yes I tried increasing the dose as adviced by Gridley.My doc didn't do anything about my transaminases.  He knows they are the abilify and risperdal who are causing the problem,but my psychiatrist and him they wash their hands. I have to do some blood work to find out if my transaminases are ok now. 

Manny,

It's a good idea to update your signature.  I see that you indicated an increased dose of Abilify on 3/7/18.  You will also need to include all other medications and dosages that you are taking.  For example, if you are still on Klonopin and Respiridol (sp?), they should be included in your signature.

Good luck with your blood work.  I am sorry you are going through this and wish you good healing.

RM

Manny78
On 6/3/2018 at 10:29 PM, Gridley said:

Please read

Hello,moderators. I still have inner vibration.I am on the same dose like my signature indicates (abilify 18 mg) and the rest of the pills the same. Any advice???

Thank you,

Manny

Manny78

I don't know what I did wrong in my taper.I am forced to stay home,mostly in bed because these vibrations on my body. My anxiety is high. I cant even sleep well because my body shakes.

Gridley

If you Google "survivingantidepressants.org body shakes" you'll see that many people report this as a withdrawal symptom.  Some of the suggestions are

Please research all supplements first and only add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems.

RealMe

How are you doing, Manny?

Manny78
16 hours ago, RealMe said:

How are you doing, Manny?

Hello Real Me. I am not doing very well.my body keep vibrating all the time. I can't walk because it gets worse,and i cant tell my family.I haven't look it up for the magnesium and the fish oil.

RealMe

My tremors started on abilify, and I still have them though they are better than they were a few months ago.   Why can't you tell your family?  How old are you?  I am so sorry you are going through this.  Please write as much as you can, and maybe the mods will have suggestions for you.

xo RM

Manny78

Hello. I am 39 years old. My dad has been brainwashed by the  so called medical professionals.

Manny78

What happens if I switch abilify for a different Antipsychotic? Would I experience kindly? I know switching drugs can make it worse,is that correct? I can't go to my doctor because he will only put a patch whatever that is 

(Increasing klonopin and biperiden, or updosing the abilify or risperdal).I need suggestions.  Go to the doc or stay away from him?Thank you,

Manny

I have inner vibrations that don't go away.

RealMe
38 minutes ago, Manny78 said:

What happens if I switch abilify for a different Antipsychotic? Would I experience kindly? I know switching drugs can make it worse,is that correct? I can't go to my doctor because he will only put a patch whatever that is 

(Increasing klonopin and biperiden, or updosing the abilify or risperdal).I need suggestions.  Go to the doc or stay away from him?Thank you,

Manny

I have inner vibrations that don't go away.

Dear Manny,

I have no medical expertise whatsoever, so I can't help you medically; but I care about you and want to support you.  I know this forum suggests tapering meds by 10% reductions, then holding till you are stable before making another reduction. I think they recommend one medication should be reduced at a time.  Let's hope a moderator can give you some ideas about what to do.  A small amount of magnesium seems to have a calming effect on me. 

xo RM 

Manny78

Hello friends, I have inner body vibrations. They don't go away and my articulations get inflamed when I walk because my body is in tension. I can't do anything,and I would have to be in bed all the time.I can't stay in bed. I don't have the choice to stay in bed. What can I do? I cant go to the psychiatrist or the gp.I would be further drugged. No friend or relative would also help. Can I updose the abilify? I don't think that would help me. 

Thank you,

Manny

Manny78

Hello friends, can i ask a question?Anyone taking abilify? I stopped tapering abilify, but I don't get any better(inner tremors).do you know how long it takes to stabilize? I am going to taper klonopin again.

Manny

Gridley

If you taper the Klonopin, you risk further destabilizing your brain.  It would be better to hold on everything until you stabilize.  Unfortunately, no one knows how long it takes to stabilize.  Jumping around in doses--you mentioned earlier updosing the Abilify-- in an attempt to get relief is not a good idea. 

Manny78
12 hours ago, Gridley said:

If you taper the Klonopin, you risk further destabilizing your brain.  It would be better to hold on everything until you stabilize.  Unfortunately, no one knows how long it takes to stabilize.  Jumping around in doses--you mentioned earlier updosing the Abilify-- in an attempt to get relief is not a good idea.

12 hours ago, Gridley said:

Hello Gridley, if I take the abilify10 mg disintegrating tablets. How do I taper it? 

Gridley
   On 3/7/2018 at 4:01 PM,  mammaP said: 

Taken from the tapering abilify topic. 

You may be able to make a solution with the Abilify DISCMELT® Orally Disintegrating Tablets (available in 10mg and 15mg dosages); I don't know what the stability would be -- how long the liquid would be good.

For general instructions about making your own liquid http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2693-how-to-make-a-liquid-from-tablets-or-capsules/   

Manny, be sure to taper no more than 10% of your current dose per month.  

•  
Edited by Gridley

Manny78

Gridley, I am not sure I can do this.  I have been cutting the disintegrating tablets to find out that I may have not getting the right amount of abilify. What happens if I go back to my original dose to stabilize. These pills (abilify 10 mg discmelt tablets) are not soluble in water.

Gridley

What dose are you on now and what was your original dose?