exitdoxepin: Withdrawal from Doxipen

exitdoxepin

I have gotten myself off Depakote which was hard and now i am trying to get off doxipen which my psychiatrist prescribed to help me sleep. I was addicted to Ambien and when I went into a treatment center to get off it they diagnosed me as bipolar and put me on a whole lot of other drugs that I am fre of except this damn doxipen.

I thought I could just quite and clean out my system but Nooo. If I don't have some for in two days I vomit and have diarrhea cold sweats, chills anxiety and it interferes with my abiity to climax. I was taking 50 mgs to sleep. the capsules are filled with powder so I would break then open and just take a bit on my finger to taper off. But now I am off for a few days then I need to go back and I am not sure how much I am taking by dipping my finger in. It's like a rollar coaster ride and I am at piece until the most recent dose wears off then I am soooo miserable I don't want to go on.

What to do? I'ts hard to taper when the drug is in powder form.

Edited by baroquep
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi exitdoxepin,

Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants.  Am glad that you found the site.  It sounds like you have had some difficulties along the way and hopefully we can help you get back on track.

Surviving Antidepressants recommends tapering by 10% of your current dose with at a hold of at least four weeks before your next decrease.  The 10% taper recommendation is a harm reduction approach to going off psychiatric drugs.  Some people may have to taper at an even more conservative rate as they are sensitive to even the smallest drops.

What is Withdrawal Syndrome?
Before you begin tapering what you need to know
Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

We ask all members to create a drug signature so we can see your history at a glance.  Please use the following format:

A request: Would you summarize your history in a signature - ALL drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly?

• Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses.
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs.
  • Any drugs prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years.
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago)
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016.
  • Link to Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

This is your own Introduction topic where you can ask questions and journal your progress.

Current Prescription Drugs for Hypothyroidism:  Synthroid 100mcg / Cytomel 5mcg (15 years Pristiq/Effexor)

Tapering Schedule
September 15, 2016 - switched from Pristiq 50mg to Effexor XR 75mg; November 10, 2016 - reduced to 67.5 Effexor XR
December 9, 2016 - reduced 60.75
January 5, 2017 - reduced 54.67
January 30, 2017 - reduced to 49.0
February 20, 2017 - reduced to 44.0 
May 20, 2017 - reduced to 40.25 (holding for additional month due to late onset of withdrawal symptoms after this taper)
July 17, 2017 - reduced to 38.24
August 15, 2017 - reduced to 37.5 (50% of my original dose)

October 15, 2017 - reduced to 35.6

November 12, 2017 - reduced to 33.8
December 15, 2017 - up-dose to 35.6
December 28, 2017 - up-dose to 37.5

• ChessieCat changed the title to exitdoxepin: Withdrawal from Doxipen