Downbutnotout: Started a bridge to get off effexor

Downbutnotout

Glad you had a good day.

Please tell me your niece is not on these drugs.

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Downbutnotout

• Frogie

• Littlegrandma

• Kristine

On 12/11/2017 at 2:41 AM, Marmot said:

Hey DBNO,

It sounds like you're really suffering, but you still aren't sure what you want to do about the meds. Newbeginning gave some really good suggestions, do you want to choose one and tell us how it goes in the meanwhile? It might help you feel better for now while you sort out what you want to do.

Take care,

Heather

2001 Remeron , Celexa, prozac a week on lithium. 

2014 went off effexor and trazadone in 3 weeks. 

2014 zoloft (hyper reaction) put on effexor 75 mg. Was stable until 2017 

2017  Trazadone 50 mg (June) Effexor to 113 mg (2 weeks) Effexor 150 mg for a month . Took 75 mg until November. . Lithium 10 days, Lamactil 10 day  aug-nov15 ativan

October : Prozac bridge to get off 75 mg of effexor Used 10 mg of prozac. Stopped prozac 3 wk 

Dec 6, 7 Upped trazadone from 50 to 100 mg Did it for 3 days Stopped it

Dec 7 , Dec 8 Took prozac again 0.1 , 0.1, 0.6 stopped it

Dec 11 and Dec 12 upped it to 100 again

Dec 15 , 16,17 went back to 50 mg of trazadone

December 18 Began 3 beads of effexor  Dec 25 began 5 beads of effexor take 10 mg of omneprazole daily

My niece was telling me how she chunked off of  Trazadone. Take a chunk off one week, another chunk off another week, and another chunk off in a month. I didn’t want to tell her that’s not out to do it. Sounds like something my psychiatrist has been telling me, but she does it a lot faster. (The psychiatrist). 

Yes, she’s been on all of them, but she’s been smart enough to get off them. She shares all my genetics. Having a happy life, not right now. But she hangs in there, and tries. I’d be so happy if I could get off all this crap. It isn’t going to happen anytime soon. 

I just wish I could get up tomorrow and feel this good although it’s not great. I actually had a good hour tonight. Almost normal. I’m afraid to go to bed. 

I still have to deal with more withdrawal tomorrow. 

2017  Trazadone 50 mg (June) Effexor to 113 mg (2 weeks) Effexor 150 mg for a month . Took 75 mg until November. . Lithium 10 days, Lamactil 10 day  aug-nov15 ativan

October : Prozac bridge to get off 75 mg of effexor Used 10 mg of prozac. Stopped prozac 3 wk 

December 18 Began 3 beads of effexor  Dec 25 began 5 beads of effexor take 10 mg of omneprazole daily

I'm sorry to read that your niece has been on many of these drugs.

I hope she is smart enough to et off and stay off and not get pushed onto a new one. 

Don't worry you will get off this stuff if you taper slow and then as JC says you can sneak off and your body will hardly notice.

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

Well, the only one I have left is the trazadone. I still haven’t decided if it’s smart to reinstate effexor since I think it will make me manic and hyper. All the reading I’ve done says its not smart to reinstate it if if does that to me. I’ve been off it for a month and a half. I’m guessing I shouldn’t start something else. I hate the psychiatrist. I’d like nothing more than never see her again. She really didn’t endear me to her by suggesting I try a little seroquel to feel so much happier than I do now. I guess she’d love me to be so asleep that I didn’t have time to email her. 

The jury is out. But believe me if I get off this freaking trazadone it is going to be s-l-o-w-l-y.  I may be overly optimistic in thinking I can just get out of this depression with nothing other than that. 

On 12/10/2017 at 5:58 PM, bheb said:

At what point on that timeline did you start feeling the way you do now? 

I'm not sure what advice to give you, but it seems that common approach would be to reinstate whatever you had been withdrawing from before. But it seems you have tried that without success with Prozac and Effexor. Are you still feeling bad from the reactions or are you suffering from previous withdrawal do you think?

I have done so much reading about how to do this. I upped my trazadone to 100 mg for 2 nights. Should I continue this for a month. Then downgrade it in a month back to 50. I an afraid if the effexor. I’m afraid it’s going to make me manic. The trazadone doesn’t seem to do this, but it does make my eye twitch. 

On 12/13/2017 at 12:39 AM, Downbutnotout said:

On 12/13/2017 at 12:51 AM, nz11 said:

I'm sorry to read that your niece has been on many of these drugs.

I hope she is smart enough to et off and stay off and not get pushed onto a new one. 

Don't worry you will get off this stuff if you taper slow and then as JC says you can sneak off and your body will hardly notice.

Advice: I had an awful reaction to prozac. I had a pretty activating reaction to 5 beads of effexor. I upped the trazadone to 100 mg. Should I continue doing this for a month, then get it down to 50? My eye is twitching. I am so scared. 

I'm sorry you're struggling but often there are no easy answers. This will be brief as I don't have any time right now, but just wanted to quickly answer. You may want to try just 1 or 2 beads of Effexor , if 5 was too much. It could help ~ start with 1.

Unless you have had a positive effect from upping the Trazadone, as it has only been a dose or two, You might want to drop it back down to 50 mg as it will be less to taper and it is also the dose you have already been on for longer, I think.

I will check in later, when I have more time. I'm sorry, it's a busy time of the year for us all. I hope this helps.

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ANSWERING ME! I did think it had a positive effect though. But I will try 1 or 2 beads of effexor. I just freaked myself out by writing about Naomi judd’s Recommendation of trying all kinds of nasty medicine to solve depression. 

24 minutes ago, AliG said:

I'm sorry you're struggling but often there are no easy answers. This will be brief as I don't have any time right now, but just wanted to quickly answer. You may want to try just 1 or 2 beads of Effexor , if 5 was too much. It could help ~ start with 1.

Unless you have had a positive effect from upping the Trazadone, as it has only been a dose or two, You might want to drop it back down to 50 mg as it will be less to taper and it is also the dose you have already been on for longer, I think.

I will check in later, when I have more time. I'm sorry, it's a busy time of the year for us all. I hope this helps.

Ali

I did think it did have a positive effect though. The trazadone, except for the eye twitching. 

I want to apologize. I just reread the guidelines and realize I have not been following them. I will be careful from now on. It’s difficult to be out here by myself. I think this website would’ve been better for me several years ago when I was trying to get off effexor and was not depressed at the time.  I am confused because I’m not sure I can survive without antidepressants although they are not helping me right now. I guess I should find a good therapist. One who isn’t telling me my brain is chemically unbalanced and I need antidepressants to balance it out. Yes, after 22  years of putting  garbage in it. Or my internist who says the same thing. Or the psychiatrist who says the same thing, and keeps searching for more items to help me. 

On 15/12/2017 at 11:45 AM, Downbutnotout said:

I guess I should find a good therapist.

Hey Downbutnotout,

This is a great idea. Having someone who actually listens compassionately and gives tips to cope with the challenges that you're facing can help a lot. You could talk to them on the phone before making the first appointment to check if they see your perspective and won't try to tell you that there's something wrong with your brain. One other pointer, is to look for someone who can support you in becoming empowered too. Some therapists aren't too good at helping you to believe in yourself / become self-sufficient, while others are. Sorry I missed your other stuff, I only come to the forum once in a while.

Cheers,

Marmot

2004: Clonazepam and Celexa. 2005 - 2006: Effexor, then increased to high dose, then switched to Valproate and Seroquel. 2007: Wellbutrin + Strattera + Celexa. 2007 - 2008: Wellbutrin + Adderall + Paxil. 2008 - 2012: Wellbutrin + occasional SSRIs when I had worsened "depression", which happened around 4 times, usually after CT of WB. 2012 - 2014: WB + Sertraline, then WB + Pristiq (awful W/D) then WB + rTMS, then ketamine. 2014 - 2016: Wellbutrin 200 mg + Abilify 4 mg + Adderall 20-40 mg + Cipralex 20 mg. Oct 2016: "Tapered" Cipralex, felt outrageously anxious, irritable. Dec 2016: "Tapered" Adderall, then felt depressed, hopeless, fatigued.  Feb 6 2017: reinstated 20 mg Adderall. Mar 2017: switched to Vyvanse, upped to 30 mg. May - Aug 2017: "Tapered" Vyvanse + Abilify to zero. Oct 25, 2017: Wellbutrin from 200 to 100 mg. Sep 10, 2018:  Wellbutrin from 90 to 60 mg. Oct 29, 2018: WB from 60 to 50 mg. Dec 19, 2018: WB from 50 to 45 mg. Apr 15, 2019: WB 41 mg. May 14, 2019: WB 37 mg. Jun 8, 2019: WB 33 mg. Jul 22: WB 30 mg, then down by around 10% per month. Aug 2020: 0

Working hard to take my life back. Anything I say here is as a friend or peer supporter; it is not medical advice.

Hi D. Just checking in to see how you are going. What did you decide to do?

What effect did the increased Trazadone have? Can I ask why you upped it? How many doses of 100 mg have you had? How are you feeling now ?

I hope you're doing a little better ~  let us know how you are.

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Bad right now. I upped to100 for 2 days , went down to 50 up to 25 during the day, horrible fit in sat night. Down to 50 day  enormous anxiety right now! Don’t know what to do! 

My head is going crazy! 

My anxiety us up to the sky. And I have nothing to take! I’m afraid of ativan and vistaril. 

Please slow down and take a breath, because ~ yes: this is not making any sense. 

I should’ve tried the effexor beads. I listened to my husband who said not to keep the trazadone at 100. I should’ve just kept it st a 100 for a few days.,I’m going to end up in the mental hospital, but I’m afraid of them giving me very strong drugs. Now I’m afraid if psychiatrists and any drugs at all. 

Did you try 1 or 2 beads of Effexor?  What dose of Trazadone have you been taking?  If you don't answer the questions ~ it is difficult to help you. Please try and keep calm. How are you doing , today?

I took 10O mg if trazadone for 2 days. My husband convinced me this wasn’t a good idea. Then I went to 50 the next day. Then. During the day, I added 25 thinking that would be helpful. It backfired. I got manic and upset. Last night I was so upset that I went to sleep. I woke up st 2:45 am and took 50mg if trazadone. I was tempted not to take anything after how manic it made me. He had to hold me down. I was that worked up. This morning around 10 am I got very anxious but didn’t take anything. The anxiety passed a little. Now, I’m trying to go out with my husband . I’ve been. Unable to get out of bed for 2 days. I am feeling light headed. I know I continue to do everything wrong. I shouldn’t have doubled the trazadone, but I felt it was working for 2 days. I suppose I should’ve kept it up? I didn’t want to try the effexor since I’m afraid it would make me hyper. The ativan also makes me hyper as well as the vistaril. My husband keeps hoping if I get off everything I’ll return to the old me. I was doing a little better before I pulled the stunt with the trazadone. So what should I do now? Keep taking the trazadone at 5O? Ct would be a disaster? I don’t think it has a good effect on me. But I suppose I’d really lose it with nothing? I wish I wouldn’t have touched it. 

Edited by Downbutnotout
Spelling mistsjes

Dbno are you able to update your drug sig.

It would be helpful to put dates.

It might be helpful to get your husband to read the links on this site about slow tapering.

IMO 2 weeks  at 100mg could be sufficient time to induce dependance.

Recovering paxil addict

The aim is to get stable. If you are on 50 mg trazadone, now and have been for the majority of time (apart from a few updoses) then that is the dose you should probably aim to stabilize on. Please stick to this dose for now.

Are you still on Ativan and Vistaril?  When do you take them and at what doses? Please add to your signature if you can, as well as answering in your next post.

What are you doing about the Effexor? Have you tried 1 bead?

Once you get stabilized, this will be so much easier but until we get there, you will hopefully be consistent both with what you are taking and also your answers - here.

Please correct me if i'm wrong NZ but I thought it was 2 days ~ not 2 weeks.

I took 10O mg if trazadone for 2 days .

I am really feeling flat emotionally right now. Does this ever go away? How will I know when I’m stabilized? If I try the effexor bead. What will that do for me? I took ativan for a couple of weeks not consistently . Since it has a bad effect on me, I quit it. The vistaril did the same thing. Will the depression go away if I just stabilize it is this my fate the rest of my life. If I thought there was an antipressant to help should I take it? Unfortunately, they’ve all made me hyper and crazy. Effexor worked for years but I was taken off because I was in a bad depression. Now all she wants to use on me are mood stabilizers. I tried lithium and didn’t like it. I get the impression that most people on here are not in the middle of mental depressions. I wish I could believecsomething was going to Help. I’m feeling very desperate. I just want to be me again. I’m starting to forget what that was like. Does ect ( electric shock) ever help? My husband is worried about me getting hooked on Effexor again. Do the neurotransmitters ever bounce back? Does it take years? 

Hi Alig

Its in the second to last line of the drug sig. maybe I’m reading it wrong.

Recovering paxil addict

Alig on a second look I think you are right. 

The drug sig has room for improvement

Recovering paxil addict

It doesn’t matter. I don’t see how things are going to improve. I’m very discouraged. 

How long would it take me to get off the 5O mg of trazadone.,if I did 10 percent a month. I would use a scale? 

should I try another antidepressant? I was thinking if lexapro. Anyone tried vibryiid? Although the psychiatrist says we shouldn’t go with ssris. 

My emotions are very flat. Like non existent. At least I haven’t gone manic today yet. At least I got myself out of bed for part of the day.

Should I mess with the Effexor beads? The only other things I’ve ever tried are Zoloft ( mania) celexa ( suicidal) and Effexor ( pooped out) . 

I think this this is the cruelest disease. It’s so unfair to my husband. To my children and to me. 

21 hours ago, Marmot said:

Hey Downbutnotout,

This is a great idea. Having someone who actually listens compassionately and gives tips to cope with the challenges that you're facing can help a lot. You could talk to them on the phone before making the first appointment to check if they see your perspective and won't try to tell you that there's something wrong with your brain. One other pointer, is to look for someone who can support you in becoming empowered too. Some therapists aren't too good at helping you to believe in yourself / become self-sufficient, while others are. Sorry I missed your other stuff, I only come to the forum once in a while.

Cheers,

Marmot

Thsnk you you for answering me. I fo have a therapist but she keeps saying I need the drugs to bdlsnce my brain. That’s what she learned st school. 

6 hours ago, Downbutnotout said:

I fo have a therapist but she keeps saying I need the drugs to bdlsnce my brain. That’s what she learned st school.

And what do you think about this?

DBNO did you take trazodone for two days or two weeks ? If so could you make it clear in the drug sig and  date it.

Could  you date all your alterations in the drug sig as that would make it easier for mods to expediate replies.

Why did you stop the Prozac 0.3 and 0.6 after three days. You said earlier you found it helpful or did you not?

How long would it take me to get off the 5O mg of trazadone.,if I did 10 percent a month. I would use a scale? 

About 3.5 years plus or minus a month or two.

should I try another antidepressant?

No it may make things worse.

When you took 100mg of trazodone how did you feel on that?

Recovering paxil addict

I added 3 beads of Effexor today. I am now on 50 mg of trazadone and 3 beads of Effexor. I’m following the advice of other members. don’t know how I’m ever going to straighten out this mess I’ve made of my brain. I used different times and added and subtracted dosages. Can I fix this now?  I don’t know if that’s possible. Believe it or not, adding 3 beads started up my eye twitch. 

11 hours ago, nz11 said:

And what do you think about this?

DBNO did you take trazodone for two days or two weeks ? If so could you make it clear in the drug sig and  date it.

Could  you date all your alterations in the drug sig as that would make it easier for mods to expediate replies.

Why did you stop the Prozac 0.3 and 0.6 after three days. You said earlier you found it helpful or did you not?

About 3.5 years plus or minus a month or two.

No it may make things worse.

When you took 100mg of trazodone how did you feel on that?

I thought I felt a little better. But at this point I’m not sure. Going back to 50 took a toll, but I don’t think I should switch it up again. I added 3 beads of Effexor. I was following the advice of a member who has been communicating with me daily and I think understands my situation. I’m so freaked out I only tried out 3 beads.ive been feeling so horrible that I feel I have to do something. That’s my problem. I feel horrible that I feel I have to do something then I make changes. I guess my best bet is to just stick with the 3 beads and the 50 mg of trazadone. 

This might seem like a really silly question or it may be a really difficult question.......please help me out here .....for how long  dId you take the 100mg of trazodone

Recovering paxil addict

1 hour ago, nz11 said:

This might seem like a really silly question or it may be a really difficult question.......please help me out here .....for how long  dId you take the 100mg of trazodone

Took it for about 3 days. Stopped with the eye twitch. Started again last week for 2 days . Took 3 beads today of Effexor. Managed to play majong. I hate myself. 

I feel like the 3 beads had an effect. Is this psychological or could this be so? I didn’t get hyper.