SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Empirical evidence about recovery and mental health

DoctorMussyWasHere

Empirical evidence about recovery and mental health | BMC Psychiatry | Full Text

I haven't completed reading this.

It's a long article: 8568 words = ±18 pages = ±40mins reading time.

But much shorter than a book.

It appears to be quite an excellent summary / response to the status quo and accepted narratives, with a solid social grounding.

The focus is largely schizophrenia, but it applies generally to other states.

While many seasoned members here may know the content of the article all too well, it's a good refresher at the very least.

At best I've already found a few nuggets which - when put together - joined some dots (aka neurons) in my head that needed joining.

My target audience for sharing this (apart from here) would be the occasional "psychiatric footsoldier"

- members of the public who have read the marketing hype, and can be quite coercive and destabilising.

I think this article could potentially turn them into allies

Authors:

Professor Mike Slade

Mike Slade (0000-0001-7020-3434) - ORCID | Connecting Research and Researchers

You searched for mike slade - Mad In America

Amazon.com: Mike Slade: Books, Biography, Blog, Audiobooks, Kindle

Dr Eleanor Longden

Eleanor Longden, PhD, Author at Mad In America

Amazon.com: Eleanor Longden: Books, Biography, Blog, Audiobooks, Kindle

Abstract

Background

Two discourses exist in mental health research and practice. The first focuses on the limitations associated with disability arising from mental disorder. The second focuses on the possibilities for living well with mental health problems.

Discussion

This article was prompted by a review to inform disability policy. We identify seven findings from this review: recovery is best judged by experts or using standardised assessment; few people with mental health problems recover; if a person no longer meets criteria for a mental illness, they are in remission; diagnosis is a robust basis for characterising groups and predicting need; treatment and other supports are important factors for improving outcome; the barriers to receiving effective treatment are availability, financing and client awareness; and the impact of mental illness, in particular schizophrenia, is entirely negative. We selectively review a wider range of evidence which challenge these findings, including the changing understanding of recovery, national mental health policies, systematic review methodology and undertainty, epidemiological evidence about recovery rates, reasoning biased due to assumptions about mental illness being an illness like any other, the contested nature of schizophrenia, the social construction of diagnoses, alternative explanations for psychosis experiences including the role of trauma, diagnostic over-shadowing, stigma, the technological paradigm, the treatment gap, social determinants of mental ill-health, the prevalence of voice-hearing in the general population, and the sometimes positive impact of psychosis experience in relation to perspective and purpose.

Conclusion

We propose an alternative seven messages which are both empirically defensible and more helpful to mental health stakeholders: Recovery is best judged by the person living with the experience; Many people with mental health problems recover; If a person no longer meets criteria for a mental illness, they are not ill; Diagnosis is not a robust foundation; Treatment is one route among many to recovery; Some people choose not to use mental health services; and the impact of mental health problems is mixed.

Full Text Versions

Empirical evidence about recovery and mental health | BMC Psychiatry | Full Text

Empirical evidence about recovery and mental health (PubMed version)

The empirical evidence about mental health and recovery: How likely, how long, what helps? (PDF Download Available)

I am here as a supporter to certain individuals undergoing withdrawal, and to learn from and contribute to the forum where possible.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy