SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Gastrointestinal issues: small intestinal overgrowth syndromes SIBO, SIFO

rowinghippy

I'm writing to

1. hopefully get some insight,
  2. see if anyone had problems they assumed were WD, but turned out to be something else that once addressed led to noticeable improvement, and 
  3. see if anyone has symptoms not shared by most others here (i.e. my insane hunger/destroyed cues).

Even if you don't read this whole post (long, sorry) answering 2 or 3 would be great!

Long story short, I was recovering from anorexia when put on Celexa. My body was unstable then, and the drugs made it worse. A month in I had increased hunger, looser bowel movements, insomnia, etc. Slowly I developed food sensitivities, dairy first, then gluten, and now it seems a whole host of things.

Recently went to a gastro, was diagnosed with sibo. Took xifaxan for 2 weeks, saw some really good improvement the first week, then worsened the 2nd. Back to where I started before the antibiotic by now. 

I'm struggling to determine if the sibo is what has actually caused my food sensitivities, leaky gut, increased hunger, weight gain (really driving me crazy, especially since I worked so hard to gain weight/stay stable after anorexia), etc. or if my gut is just messed up b/c of the meds and sibo is a result, reinforcing the above issues. Part of me doesn't think it's entirely WD, since I don't see many people here with the problems I'm facing.

But hunger, etc. problems got to be the worst both times I tapered before, slowly evening out to my state now (not driving me suicidal) which makes me think the sibo/issues are tied to WD (also since the sibo problems seemed to come back immediately after the antibiotic).

I'm going crazy trying to figure everything out (between anorexia recovery, celexa side effects, and now WD, I don't know what 'stability' is). Keep messing around with my diet in the meantime, with little success.

moderator note: SIBO = small intestine bacterial overgrowth

Edited by ChessieCat
removed obscenity

4/24/16: 20 mg citalopram

8/1/16: 15 mg

8/22/16: 10 mg

9/16/16: reinstated to 12 mg

12/1/16: 11 mg

2/20/17: 10 mg

11/20/17: CT, med free

1/18/18: began regimen (keto, synthroid, supps, etc.)

11/21/18: off keto, lowered synthroid, began exercise

2/07/19: off synthroid/all supps

4/15/19: began tirosint (clean version of synthroid, with less side effects)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Rowing,

I am not clear about the weight issue. Are you saying you are overweight now or underweight? I suffer from extreme hunger myself from Remeron. I wish I could get a handle on it. I am sure my leptin/ghrelin is out of whack.

My daughter has SIBO, took xiflaxin with slight improvement, and continues to have pain but can go for longer periods without pain. There is a SIBO fb page if you are interested. She has never taken an antidepressant so we can't blame wd on this SIBO case.

WD and SIBO symptoms can overlap, I'd say, knowing the symptoms of both. It would be hard to isolate which came first. 

Leahy

2001-2007 Rem 90 mg, xanax 2 mg synthroid 112mcg - 2007-2014 Rem 60 mg xanax 3-4 mg

2015   Feb Rem 45 mg xanax 2 mg, March Rem 30 xanax 2, April  Rem 22.5, May Rem 30  xanax .25x4 hrs, June Rem 26 xanax 2-3, July Rem 22.5 xanax 2, Aug Rem 15 xanax 2, Sept Rem 22 xanax 2, Oct Rem 18 mg xanax .25 mg /4 hrs, Nov Rem 23 mg xanax .5mg, Dec Rem 24 xanax 2 

2016  Jan Rem 20 xanax 2,  Feb Rem 18 mg xanax 1.5, Feb Rem 14 12 mg xanax 1 mg, March Rem 10 9 mg xanax 1-2 mg Rem 7.3 8 xanax 1-2, April Rem 10 12 mg xanax 2 mg, May Rem 11 xanax 1 .75mg Nov Rem 10mg Xanax 2mg 2017 May Rem 10.25 Xanax 1 mg, November Xanax 1mg

Sorry, still overweight. Put on fat pretty easy, lose muscle the minute I undereat/my metabolism is stressed (probably a combo of anorexia recovery + meds). Look as bad as I feel.

The xifaxan I took a few weeks back got rid of the worst of the sibo, but you're right in that it's hard to differentiate sibo from med stuff. At this point I'll just have to accept things until I'm off the meds. If it gets real bad again, I'll beg the doc for more xifaxan (although the side effects, given my state, weren't great).

Wish you and your daughter the best.

• 1 year later...

Hi, is there anyone else who has experience of gastrointestinal issues after tapering of SSRI ? I wonder if it can all be damages that the SSRI caused cause the serotonin are mainly in the gut and thay also excist in the mastcells which is involved in allergic reactions! I havce developed histamineintolerance after tapering....never had allergies before...

My functional DR thinks I might have SIBO /SIFO /Candida/Leaky gut and wants to treat me for that. But I wonder if it cant all be just still damages from SSRI ??

I have developed histamineintolerance and joint/muscle cramps , brain fog etc. that  I had a lot combined with akatisia and other horrible symptoms during Withdrawal which took me approx .2 years and now its 3 years since I started tapering of SSRI - have been free from ssri for 2 years.

Very grateful to your replies to this !

fluoxetine since 13years followed doctors advice tapered 40 mg to 0mg in 4 months july 2015 august crasched in panic attacks etc end of september akatisia , nausea, crying alot no one told me it could be something called withdrawal I read it and also about going back to last dose No one knew if it was worth it. tried reinstate autumn 2014 5 mg prozac then 10mg since 29/11-2014 feel only worse sucidal for real, tried antihistamine 10 mg or oxascand (benso) 5 mg or valerian for anxiousness but sick feeling taking this. 6mg prozac to taper slowly down since 15/2-2014 (30ml out of 100ml water with 20 mg pill) tapered 10-20% per month until June 2015 super anxious depressed tired. Got Buspar may 2015 5mg 10mg 15mg headache etc
June 2015: 10mg buspar plus around 3 mg prozac quit this cold turkey in July 2015. One week later crying spells and suicidal. Tried 5htp.magnesium omega 3 until September. October 2015 tested vit D was 17 . Since October 2015 ONLY Vit D and magnesium . nov 2016 can laungh again! but still too anxious ,depressed or lethargic in waves can't focuS, Crying spells , scared, social fobia, bitterness. .. . Did not reinstate prozac again . Trying to survive ....

july 2016-troathpain /reflux starts...

It's common in WD.  I thought I was having gut issues and saw a functional doc who was giving me herbs and vitamins which I was reacting too.  This was before I knew I was in WD from swapping meds and dropping dosages.   

Lexapro 1/17 - 3/17 10 mg.  Switched to Elavil 3/27/17 10 mg

Upped to 20 mg June 5, 2017 3 days, back down to 10mg June 8

Up again to 20 mg June 12, 2017 4 days, back down to 10 June 16

9/17 dropped to 9.5 mg

11/17 dropped to 9.3mg

2/18/17 dropped to 8.8 mg

February 14/2018 Adverse reaction to zofran pill at clinic

10/7/19 8.48 mg

12/22/19 7.3 mg, 2/7/20 6.5 mg, 5/23/20 5.84 mg,  5/7/23 .70 mg

But I am not in WD any more! It was three years ago since I quit prozac. The WD lasted for 1.5 year ....

So now I think it is more likely due to lasting damages to my receptors and the whole serotonin system after 14 years with prozac :/// (I was just a teenager when they started to give that **** to me). 

But also maybe it is fungus or SIBO... Did an urine and a breath  test that suggested so. .. did You do any tests when your functionAl Dr said that u had it?

fluoxetine since 13years followed doctors advice tapered 40 mg to 0mg in 4 months july 2015 august crasched in panic attacks etc end of september akatisia , nausea, crying alot no one told me it could be something called withdrawal I read it and also about going back to last dose No one knew if it was worth it. tried reinstate autumn 2014 5 mg prozac then 10mg since 29/11-2014 feel only worse sucidal for real, tried antihistamine 10 mg or oxascand (benso) 5 mg or valerian for anxiousness but sick feeling taking this. 6mg prozac to taper slowly down since 15/2-2014 (30ml out of 100ml water with 20 mg pill) tapered 10-20% per month until June 2015 super anxious depressed tired. Got Buspar may 2015 5mg 10mg 15mg headache etc
June 2015: 10mg buspar plus around 3 mg prozac quit this cold turkey in July 2015. One week later crying spells and suicidal. Tried 5htp.magnesium omega 3 until September. October 2015 tested vit D was 17 . Since October 2015 ONLY Vit D and magnesium . nov 2016 can laungh again! but still too anxious ,depressed or lethargic in waves can't focuS, Crying spells , scared, social fobia, bitterness. .. . Did not reinstate prozac again . Trying to survive ....

• 2 weeks later...

I also had and I still have intestinal issues after I quit cipralex. I have been tested through  ELISA method on IGg antibodies against food, and I have several intolerances...I managed to partially reverse those inflamation through diet, but I still have something going on. I feel like i do not absorb the food in the right way.

Cipralex starts : Mid- May 2013 10mg

Cipralex dose increased: July 2013 20mg

First attempt to quit : December 2013 ( very fast tapering, all happened in 1 month)

I started again cipralex: January 2014 10 mg

Cipralex dose increased: March 2014 20mg

Cipralex discontinuation: Between June and Agust 2014 I discontinued cipralex (about 3 or 3,5 months tapering)

1 hour ago, carlos099 said:

I also had and I still have intestinal issues after I quit cipralex. I have been tested through  ELISA method on IGg antibodies against food, and I have several intolerances...I managed to partially reverse those inflamation through diet, but I still have something going on. I feel like i do not absorb the food in the right way.

Same here, I have a SIBO breath test ("Aerodiagnostics") sitting here waiting for me to do.  Am planning to do it when things are less hectic, as it requires a special diet for 3 days whilst the samples are being collected.

Stress has also impacted my gut's ability to digest food properly, and I suffer from bloating, flatulence and gas in general - "IBS" if you will.

I'm taking a whole load of supplements to counteract the effects stress is having on my GI tract and body.

Have tested negative for Candida overgrowth, and have VERY LOW level intolerances (IGg food panel antibodies) to some foods - also caused by stress, and as confirmed by my Naturopath.

So, after Christmas I'm going to start FODMAPS food elimination rotation.

This all flared up last year, when my body was inflamed and my whole upper body (inc. face) broke out into severe eczema.

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

Re-located to UK from Canada: Jan 2016

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

On 2017-12-16 at 7:40 PM, carlos099 said:

How long were you on cipralex and from what age ? Did never had issues with food before taking this drug ?

Can you please describe what you mean by not absorbing food the right way ? What are your symptoms?  

Grateful to your reply!

/Trying to survive

On 2017-12-01 at 6:04 AM, Meeto said:

It's common in WD.  I thought I was having gut issues and saw a functional doc who was giving me herbs and vitamins which I was reacting too.  This was before I knew I was in WD from swapping meds and dropping dosages.   

But I got this issues AFTER WD is like prolonged damages to the mastcells and the gut after ssri.... mastcells deal with serotonin too :((( sigh! How much have these **** drug destroyed me :////? Will it ever heal :((( no one knows .. not even the researchers and Dr in the subject. ... :*(

This is an interesting topic.  I have same issues.  Massive yeast symptoms and I knew I wasn't obsorbing nutrients due to my lack of muscle tone and the sudden bald spots.  I took an OATs test and it proved I had both.  I am gearing up for IV vitamin/mineral/amino acids next year as i'm healed enough to be not super sensitive to them.  I will be targeting yeast with oregano oil and olive leaf extract.

I am allergic to many foods.  Last week I went to a resto and listed the foods I can't eat to a waiter.  They just felt so sorry for me.  Like most here, this didn't start till everything fell apart from withdrawals.

ps.  I was told to stop probiotics and fermented foods cause my gut is fermenting anything I eat.  My gut is obviously sluggish and doesn't react like a normal persons not in withdrawal.

<p>10 years of ssri and finally tapered off in 2 years. Off Celexa by jan/28/2014 and off benzos by March/6th/2014 after only two months use and still experiencing withdrawal symptoms.

I have many symptoms now in ad wd at 8.5 months. I am starting to become terrified because within the last two months, I've noticed that I've lost a tremendous amount of weight and my muscles are deteriorating. From the beginning, I had constipation which became chronic. Idk, something is just not right with my digestive system. Now from searching the Net, I find that all of this might mean I am afflicted with malabsorption. Any thoughts, anyone?

In a state of panic,

Callie

Lexapro: 2004-2010; Effexor XR 225 mg.: May 2010 - April 2017

Abilify 5 mg.: May 2010 - April 2017; Buspirone 60 mg.: 2004 - April 2017; Trazadone 100 mg.: 2004 - April 2017; Xanax: as needed; Fast taper

On ‎18‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 4:55 PM, tryingtosurvive said:

How long were you on cipralex and from what age ? Did never had issues with food before taking this drug ?

Can you please describe what you mean by not absorbing food the right way ? What are your symptoms?  

Grateful to your reply!

/Trying to survive

I have been on cipralex for about 1,5 years, from 23yo to almost 25yo. I did not have any food problems before taking it. I noticed a slightly weight gain while taking it (maybe 1kg or so... ), but as soon as I discontinued I gained a lot of weight without any reason. Cellulite, swelling, strange sensation after eating such as nausea and heaviness. Moreover, as I reported in my original post, I started to have some problem with alchool digestion, I could not drink any alchool at all... a single glass made me feel like I drunk a whole bottle of whiskey. Anyway, after almost 2 years of strict gluten free diet and other restriction on diary and junk food in general, I got back my body shape... However, I still have some problems... I am now eating quite a lot, but  I am not able to gain weight at all...along with this I can't put muscles on too... It's quite weird I am on the other side of the coin now... Do you experience something similar to it? Have you been on escitalopram too?

First attempt to quit : December 2013 ( very fast tapering, all happened in 1 month)

Cipralex discontinuation: Between June and Agust 2014 I discontinued cipralex (about 3 or 3,5 months tapering)

On ‎22‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 9:35 PM, Tootsieroll said:

This is an interesting topic.  I have same issues.  Massive yeast symptoms and I knew I wasn't obsorbing nutrients due to my lack of muscle tone and the sudden bald spots.  I took an OATs test and it proved I had both.  I am gearing up for IV vitamin/mineral/amino acids next year as i'm healed enough to be not super sensitive to them.  I will be targeting yeast with oregano oil and olive leaf extract.

I am allergic to many foods.  Last week I went to a resto and listed the foods I can't eat to a waiter.  They just felt so sorry for me.  Like most here, this didn't start till everything fell apart from withdrawals.

ps.  I was told to stop probiotics and fermented foods cause my gut is fermenting anything I eat.  My gut is obviously sluggish and doesn't react like a normal persons not in withdrawal.

What kind of supplements are you going to take? I also experience bald spot and lack of muscle tone, even if from athletic point of view it everything seems to be ok, I still perform well.

Have you ever thought about fasting for a while? 

17 hours ago, carlos099 said:

What kind of supplements are you going to take? I also experience bald spot and lack of muscle tone, even if from athletic point of view it everything seems to be ok, I still perform well.

Have you ever thought about fasting for a while? 

Sorry I don't have a list of supplements as of yet but he did call it a modified myers cocktail.  He also mentioned a small amount of b2 since I am low in that.  My apptment isn't till 2nd week of January so stay tuned.

I haven't tried fasting only because I experienced hypoglycemic symptoms.  If I didn't eat within a certain time frame I would start to shake and get dizzy.  I may try a strictly vegan diet but only once the IV cocktail commences.

<p>10 years of ssri and finally tapered off in 2 years. Off Celexa by jan/28/2014 and off benzos by March/6th/2014 after only two months use and still experiencing withdrawal symptoms.

• 1 month later...

Callie    I am in a similar situation to you.  I am still at a low dose of Paxil, but I have lost masses of weight and my muscles are disappearing on my legs.  I also have diarrhea,  and don't think my body is absorbing any nutrients.  It's a frightening experience.  Have you found anything that helps?

Nada

On Paxil 10mg  2008-2015

Withdrew Paxil Sept 2015 - Dec 2016

Reinstated 1mg Paxil end Jan. 2017

Updosed  to 2.5mg Paxil June 2017

Reinstatement not working

Benadryl 25mg some nights 

Yes I also developed a caffeine intolerance as well as IBS type symptoms. This happened suddenly after about a year of withdrawal. It’s still ongoing.

• ChessieCat changed the title to SIBO /SIFO/food allergies/histamine intolerance after SSRI ?
  • 1 year later...

@rowinghippy

Could you share how your SIBO/leaky gut story ended? My specific questions are:

• On what basis were you diagnosed with SIBO (some breath test maybe)?
  • Did you take Xifaxan second time? Did it help?

I am asking cause I am having GI issues too - though different than you. My doctor gave me Xifaxan IN CASE it was SIBO.

But he didn't order any test for it (I already knew about some breath tests but forgot to ask him how reliable they are). I see he doesn't seem to know what's wrong with me. And I am afraid to take any antibiotic again (I took one for lamblia and had very bad side effects. Of course it didn't help).

[2013 - 2017] >10 meds and combos (some breaks without meds; last in May-Sep 2016)

[2017] Mar 22 - venlafaxine 150; initially with mianserine 20 which I stopped around June due to serious stomachaches and bloating; 1 month of break in Aug when: duloxetine 60 + esketamine clinical trial)
Sep 05 - venlafaxine 150 + bupropion 150
Oct 11 - tapering off venlafaxine while still on bupro 150; Oct 21 - venla 37,5
Nov 06 - venla 37,5 + bupro 150 + >START buspirone 30>
Nov 20 - venla 12,5 + bupro 150 + buspirone 30;   Nov 29 - [STOP venla]
Dec 01 - [tried to STOP buspi cold turkey] / Dec 03 - HELL unleashed;   Dec 10 - buspi 10;   Dec 17 - buspi 20 (+ still bupro 150); Jan 02 [STOP] bupro;
[2018] Mar 17 - >START quetiapine 50 SR> for tension, restlessness and attacks of fury (buspirone persisting w/d symptom)

Apr 24 - FINALLY STOPPED buspirone (5-month taper; worst in my life) - w/d symptoms continue... Jun 02 - STOP quetiapine
Now taking: mirtazapine 7,5 mg (helps to fall asleep quickly, doesn't help for waking at dawn; didn't tolerate higher doses); for restlessness / akathisia: taurine; antihistamines (small amounts cause still can cause headache and dry mouth even at 12,5 mg of hydroxyzine or promethazine); melatonin 1 mg; omega-3 (330 EPA, 220 DHA); Mg.

• ChessieCat changed the title to WD effects vs non-related symptoms
  • 2 weeks later...

I took xifaxan a second time, although it didn't seem to help (made things worse in some ways it seems; it was a while ago and my memory is a bit foggy from that time); it's a powerful antibiotic, and I had side effects from it to boot. I was initially diagnosed via the breath test. Not sure if it was really sibo, or just withdrawal crap all along.

My gut was messed up for a while after the xifaxan rounds (would have been even if I didn't take xifaxan though). I messed with probiotics and different diets, but I think time was the main factor, as was finally getting off the med completely (even while tapering, the fact that I was on the med still was making my gut worse). I started strict keto around the time I finally jumped off, which for the next year helped with many things, gut included (I modified it further to match my food sensitivities). I also went on synthroid for a year which made things worse again, but since getting off that and having been off the ssri for over a year plus being 2.5 years into withdrawal, my gut has recovered a lot over time.

Thank you for your time.

I couldn't wait any longer and I am already by the end of Xifaxan treatment (7th day). It seems it didn't help - no surprise. Next proof it's withdrawal and nothing can save me, except from my own mind / body and time.

[2013 - 2017] >10 meds and combos (some breaks without meds; last in May-Sep 2016)

[2017] Mar 22 - venlafaxine 150; initially with mianserine 20 which I stopped around June due to serious stomachaches and bloating; 1 month of break in Aug when: duloxetine 60 + esketamine clinical trial)
Sep 05 - venlafaxine 150 + bupropion 150
Oct 11 - tapering off venlafaxine while still on bupro 150; Oct 21 - venla 37,5
Nov 06 - venla 37,5 + bupro 150 + >START buspirone 30>
Nov 20 - venla 12,5 + bupro 150 + buspirone 30;   Nov 29 - [STOP venla]
Dec 01 - [tried to STOP buspi cold turkey] / Dec 03 - HELL unleashed;   Dec 10 - buspi 10;   Dec 17 - buspi 20 (+ still bupro 150); Jan 02 [STOP] bupro;
[2018] Mar 17 - >START quetiapine 50 SR> for tension, restlessness and attacks of fury (buspirone persisting w/d symptom)

Apr 24 - FINALLY STOPPED buspirone (5-month taper; worst in my life) - w/d symptoms continue... Jun 02 - STOP quetiapine
Now taking: mirtazapine 7,5 mg (helps to fall asleep quickly, doesn't help for waking at dawn; didn't tolerate higher doses); for restlessness / akathisia: taurine; antihistamines (small amounts cause still can cause headache and dry mouth even at 12,5 mg of hydroxyzine or promethazine); melatonin 1 mg; omega-3 (330 EPA, 220 DHA); Mg.

• Altostrata changed the title to Gastrointestinal issues: SIBO, SIFO, histamine intolerance
  • 2 months later...

I am wondering if anyone knows what might cause SIBO in withdrawal? 4 years ago I got SIBO when I went off Celexa. I treated it sucessfully and felt great for 3 years until I can off my meds again recently. It always comes back when I stop my SSRI (confirmed with breath test) . 

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Read these for background about leaky gut and SIBO:

This is a good overview of leaky gut -- ignore the sales pitch from Amy Myers for another expensive supplement (like Bio-HPF, but without the SIBO-killing herbs) at the end: https://www.amymyersmd.com/2019/02/9-signs-you-have-leaky-gut/

Chris Kresser gives reliable integrative advice without too much of a sales pitch:

About leaky gut https://chriskresser.com/how-to-tell-if-you-have-a-leaky-gut/

How to treat different "leaky gut" conditions https://chriskresser.com/5-causes-of-ibs-your-doctor-may-not-be-looking-for/

Here's a test for leaky gut. It may be covered by insurance. https://www.gdx.net/product/intestinal-permeability-assessment-urine

It could be you have a very severe case of SIBO, leading to leaky gut. Here's a paper to discuss with your gastroenterologist.

Here is the Web site of naturopath Allison Siebacker, the small intestine bacterial overgrowth (SIBO) expert. Here are tests for SIBO

There was a gastroenterologist in my city who treated SIBO -- I had the wireless motility capsule test, which was covered by my insurance. The idea is that if your intestinal motility is slowed, which can be an adverse effect of drugs, that gives bacteria a chance to grow where they shouldn't.

Gastroenterologists treat motility issues. They may also prescribe a very expensive antibiotic, rifaximin (Xifaxan) to kill the bacteria, but it was found that herbal treatment was as effective, see this paper about herbal treatment of SIBO.

Bio-HPF is a kitchen sink of gut-healing herbs, etc. (What's missing is glutamine, which is very important.)  Problem is, some things cancel out the others. Berberine, barberry, oregon grape are used to kill small intestine bacterial overgrowth (SIBO) and can be hard to tolerate themselves.

I'd be careful with undenatured licorice, it can cause adrenal problems. Here's  Amy Myers's own list of supplements for leaky gut https://www.amymyersmd.com/2018/10/6-nutrients-to-repair-your-gut/ Note that it contains denatured licorice (DGL) -- not undenatured licorice as in Bio-HPF. Her list is

• 3 grams of L-Glutamine
  • 2 grams of arabinogalactan
  • 300mg of soothing marshmallow root
  • 300mg of DGL
  • 100mg of slippery elm
  • 50mg of aloe vera

The two main supplements to heal leaky gut are glutamine and quercetin (which Amy Myers must have overlooked). You wouldn't want to add SIBO-killing herbs unless you thought you had SIBO.  At any rate, it's far safer to add the above ingredients (plus quercetin) one at a time to see how you tolerate them rather than take them all in combination. They are available relatively inexpensively at Swanson Vitamins.

If you want to treat SIBO, the bacteria-killing herbal supplements are also available at Swanson Vitamins. I used oregano oil and black cumin see oil. Both of these are very strong herbal oils. You can tell when they hit your gut. (I believe I found berberine and peppermint oil disagreed with me.)

But they did eliminate my SIBO. (I also took glutamine and quercetin for gut healing, and still use DGL for acid burb indigestion.)

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Administrator
On 6/16/2019 at 9:36 AM, KMart95 said:

I am wondering if anyone knows what might cause SIBO in withdrawal? 4 years ago I got SIBO when I went off Celexa. I treated it sucessfully and felt great for 3 years until I can off my meds again recently. It always comes back when I stop my SSRI (confirmed with breath test) . 

SIBO can be caused by a slowdown in gut motility or reduction in stomach acid content. Conceivably, this can be an adverse effect of drugs (including PPIs) or withdrawal from them.

Your natural gut peristalsis keeps everything in balance.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• Altostrata changed the title to Gastrointestinal issues: Small intestinal overgrowth syndromes SIBO, SIFO
58 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

SIBO can be caused by a slowdown in gut motility or reduction in stomach acid content. Conceivably, this can be an adverse effect of drugs (including PPIs) or withdrawal from them.

Hello @Altostrata, I have a quick question. Do GI problems go away once withdrawal resolves itself or do we have to actively treat it with antibiotics, probiotics, etc? Thank you 

Adepsique: January 2016 - July 2016 (took half a pill in the mornings for 6 months) the dosage was 5 mg of amitriptyline, 1.5 mg of diazepam, and 1 mg of perphenazine 

Escitalopram: 10 mg: July 2016 - April 2018

Olanzapine 2.5mg: July 2016 - October 2017

• Administrator

It depends on what's causing your GI issues. If it's SIBO, you'll probably have to treat it.

• ChessieCat changed the title to Gastrointestinal issues: small intestinal overgrowth syndromes SIBO, SIFO
  • Administrator

Here's another article from Chris Kresser's site about SIBO diagnosis and treatment https://chriskresser.com/sibo-update-an-interview-with-dr-mark-pimentel/

A good overview https://www.medicinenet.com/small_intestinal_bacterial_overgrowth_sibo/article.htm#sibo_symptoms_and_signs

If I thought I had SIBO and wanted it treated by a medical doctor, I would try to have a phone conversation with the doctor, to see if he or she actually treats what I've got, before paying for a visit.

Be forewarned, most likely an MD is going to want to prescribe an antibiotic. (I would avoid all floxins.) But if SIBO is diagnosed, you can always say you want to try herbs first, if that's what you want to do. You can take the herbs much longer than the antibiotics, to discourage return of the bacteria.

• Administrator

Those of you who have resolved your SIBO or SIFO, Lilbit could use your help in his Intro topic.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/18/2019 at 9:41 PM, Altostrata said:

On 6/16/2019 at 6:36 PM, KMart95 said:

I had the same issue after WD from prozac(fluoxetine) my whole body ; hormonal, gastrointestinal, immunological went out of balance . Prozac set of Mast cell Activation disorder in me so now I am struggling with cramps, allergies and joint/connective tissue issues..:/ in order to manage this I have to take mast cell stabilizers and eat only histamin3 free food.  Any one else got allergies or similar during or after WD from SSRI ?

It's been 5 years soon since WD of Prozac after 14 years on it for me now and I have tried several natural and conventional "treatments" for WDanxiety , SiBO, Candida, borrelia,TWAR etc.. so many strange symptoms made the doctors and functional medicine try everything. How to heal damage after SSRI is still very much unknown by most.

I am now doing TCM.

What altostrata said the SSRI f-cked up our but motility.  I have also read research saying that  SSRI is antimicrobial in itself so then it has already caused dysbiosis .. that plus gut motility and hormonal imbalance no wonder these drugs are so dangerous and most doctors acknowledge that to this date they still don't know what these drugs actually DO in the body .." blocking serotonin receptors " well most serotonin is in the gut  and the mast cells which are an huge part of the immune system allows the body also has serotonin receptors..  hence the effects and damage of these drugs is all over the body.

OMG I'm so glad TCM was mentioned here.  I have been working with a new chinese herbalist and yesterday was my FIRST day drinking the tea she prescribed.  She says my body is completely imbalanced.  Spleen, liver, kidney, lungs.  EVERYTHING.  I didn't drink my dose today as I felt it is better to wait for my aunt flo to end before I continue with the next 7 day batch.  I swear...today, my symptoms are still with me but something is different.  As if the energy around me opened up and it no longer feels like I'm wading under water.  Before it was groundhog day everyday and suddenly today I feel like I move with "time".  I remember those horrid days of anxiety/ocd where I would be thinking one thought and it's 7:00 and by the time I look at clock again it's 10:00 yet I haven't moved from my spot.  It was very bizarre.  I don't know if this window will close since I didn't drink my tea today but I hope it helped open a "qi" for me and I can now heal once I keep up with it.  I will probably take up daily acupuncture once my funds allow it.  I'm so excited!

I swear SSRIs are the most evil meds. My gut issues got really bad on Celexa, then when I stopped that I found out I had SIBO. Switched to Prozac, went off that and developed histamine intolerance (possibly mast cell) , POTS, SIBO again and depression, all things I NEVER had before. I can't believe these drugs can actually cause new illnesses to occur, or at least the symptoms of chronic illness. Sometimes I think i'll be stuck with it all forever. I don't even look the same as I used to after all this. My skin is a mess, my hair is falling out, my under-eyes are dark purple, all my muscle tone is gone, i'm always bloated.. it's just great!

• Mentor
11 hours ago, KMart95 said:

I swear SSRIs are the most evil meds. My gut issues got really bad on Celexa, then when I stopped that I found out I had SIBO. Switched to Prozac, went off that and developed histamine intolerance (possibly mast cell) , POTS, SIBO again and depression, all things I NEVER had before. I can't believe these drugs can actually cause new illnesses to occur, or at least the symptoms of chronic illness. Sometimes I think i'll be stuck with it all forever. I don't even look the same as I used to after all this. My skin is a mess, my hair is falling out, my under-eyes are dark purple, all my muscle tone is gone, i'm always bloated.. it's just great!

Hey, have you ever changed your diet? I found this being the best thing for me. I was unable to come off of my AD. But was finally able to once I changed my diet. I am also having my autoimmune disease reverse with diet change. But the amount of GI distress removing my AD from my life caused was a huge eye opener to me. 

I follow The Plant Paradox lifestyle by Dr.Gundry. This lifestyle has given me my life back and I feel better than I have ever felt in my life. It has enabled me to finally get off of this medication and truly live my life. Nutrition is the key to health!!!!! 

2008 to 2019  - 20 mg Paroxetine

Attempted 2 CT's around the 5-6 year mark. Were absolutely terrible and reinstated. Was never explained by the doctor the seriousness of the short half life of this drug. 

2017 - Attempted a tapered discontinuation of this drug and reinstated after being unsuccessful.

2019 - Feb. 12 - After a three month taper I am off of paroxetine. The 3 months were terrible, awful withdrawal feelings. I followed the doctors guidelines for the reduction of this drug and now know it was way too fast. 
2019 - Oct. 12 - 8 months off paroxetine. 75% improvement since coming off the drug. Definitely have had tons of challenges along the way. Let’s go!!!! 

2021 - Feb. 12 - 24 months off paroxetine. I have minor challenges now. Tinnitus/Headaches are still around but are reduced by a massive amount. 

On 7/6/2019 at 6:33 AM, KMart95 said:

I wonder if Prozac is more prone to cause mast cell /histamineintolerance compared to other SSRI...?

Hope you feel better 

2 hours ago, tryingtosurvive said:

I wonder if Prozac is more prone to cause mast cell /histamineintolerance compared to other SSRI...?

Hope you feel better 

It's possible for sure. It's the oldest SSRI I believe ? Prozac seems to be one of the most common ones to trigger new health problems. 

5 hours ago, KMart95 said:

It's possible for sure. It's the oldest SSRI I believe ? Prozac seems to be one of the most common ones to trigger new health problems. 

😕 it is still VERY common here in Sweden...I am so sad that they prescribed me that sh-t and destroyed my body ... 

But how do you know it seems to be the most common to cause health problems? If there is/you know some statistic on this here or elsewhere? I am interested in seeing it :)

On 7/6/2019 at 5:54 PM, Cocopuffz17 said:

Hey, have you ever changed your diet? I found this being the best thing for me. I was unable to come off of my AD. But was finally able to once I changed my diet. I am also having my autoimmune disease reverse with diet change. But the amount of GI distress removing my AD from my life caused was a huge eye opener to me. 

What time of dietchanges helped you ?:)

• Mentor
48 minutes ago, tryingtosurvive said:

What time of dietchanges helped you ?:)

I follow a book called the Plant Paradox. It eliminates lectins from your diet and has been giving me great results. Just the withdrawals from this paroxetine have been tough. 

I follow The Plant Paradox lifestyle by Dr.Gundry. This lifestyle has given me my life back and I feel better than I have ever felt in my life. It has enabled me to finally get off of this medication and truly live my life. Nutrition is the key to health!!!!! 

2008 to 2019  - 20 mg Paroxetine

Attempted 2 CT's around the 5-6 year mark. Were absolutely terrible and reinstated. Was never explained by the doctor the seriousness of the short half life of this drug. 

2017 - Attempted a tapered discontinuation of this drug and reinstated after being unsuccessful.

2019 - Feb. 12 - After a three month taper I am off of paroxetine. The 3 months were terrible, awful withdrawal feelings. I followed the doctors guidelines for the reduction of this drug and now know it was way too fast. 
2019 - Oct. 12 - 8 months off paroxetine. 75% improvement since coming off the drug. Definitely have had tons of challenges along the way. Let’s go!!!! 

2021 - Feb. 12 - 24 months off paroxetine. I have minor challenges now. Tinnitus/Headaches are still around but are reduced by a massive amount. 

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy