SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Gastrointestinal issues: small intestinal overgrowth syndromes SIBO, SIFO

rowinghippy

On 7/8/2019 at 12:59 AM, Cocopuffz17 said:

I follow a book called the Plant Paradox. It eliminates lectins from your diet and has been giving me great results. Just the withdrawals from this paroxetine have been tough. 

Aha, I have tried a little from that book too but as my diet is already restricted to a few things due to the horrible MCAS and histamine intolerance that came after prozac taking away all lectines too will mean I can only eat like 5 things :/... 

So I try to alternate... there is also the Wahls diet she is a doctor who got very ill in ME but got well from ME by diet!

fluoxetine since 13years followed doctors advice tapered 40 mg to 0mg in 4 months july 2015 august crasched in panic attacks etc end of september akatisia , nausea, crying alot no one told me it could be something called withdrawal I read it and also about going back to last dose No one knew if it was worth it. tried reinstate autumn 2014 5 mg prozac then 10mg since 29/11-2014 feel only worse sucidal for real, tried antihistamine 10 mg or oxascand (benso) 5 mg or valerian for anxiousness but sick feeling taking this. 6mg prozac to taper slowly down since 15/2-2014 (30ml out of 100ml water with 20 mg pill) tapered 10-20% per month until June 2015 super anxious depressed tired. Got Buspar may 2015 5mg 10mg 15mg headache etc
June 2015: 10mg buspar plus around 3 mg prozac quit this cold turkey in July 2015. One week later crying spells and suicidal. Tried 5htp.magnesium omega 3 until September. October 2015 tested vit D was 17 . Since October 2015 ONLY Vit D and magnesium . nov 2016 can laungh again! but still too anxious ,depressed or lethargic in waves can't focuS, Crying spells , scared, social fobia, bitterness. .. . Did not reinstate prozac again . Trying to survive ....

july 2016-troathpain /reflux starts...

On 7/8/2019 at 12:59 AM, Cocopuffz17 said:

I follow a book called the Plant Paradox. It eliminates lectins from your diet and has been giving me great results. Just the withdrawals from this paroxetine have been tough. 

So no squash at all for example ? Or you alternate ? 

fluoxetine since 13years followed doctors advice tapered 40 mg to 0mg in 4 months july 2015 august crasched in panic attacks etc end of september akatisia , nausea, crying alot no one told me it could be something called withdrawal I read it and also about going back to last dose No one knew if it was worth it. tried reinstate autumn 2014 5 mg prozac then 10mg since 29/11-2014 feel only worse sucidal for real, tried antihistamine 10 mg or oxascand (benso) 5 mg or valerian for anxiousness but sick feeling taking this. 6mg prozac to taper slowly down since 15/2-2014 (30ml out of 100ml water with 20 mg pill) tapered 10-20% per month until June 2015 super anxious depressed tired. Got Buspar may 2015 5mg 10mg 15mg headache etc
June 2015: 10mg buspar plus around 3 mg prozac quit this cold turkey in July 2015. One week later crying spells and suicidal. Tried 5htp.magnesium omega 3 until September. October 2015 tested vit D was 17 . Since October 2015 ONLY Vit D and magnesium . nov 2016 can laungh again! but still too anxious ,depressed or lethargic in waves can't focuS, Crying spells , scared, social fobia, bitterness. .. . Did not reinstate prozac again . Trying to survive ....

• Mentor
3 minutes ago, tryingtosurvive said:

Aha, I have tried a little from that book too but as my diet is already restricted to a few things due to the horrible MCAS and histamine intolerance that came after prozac taking away all lectines too will mean I can only eat like 5 things :/... 

So I try to alternate... there is also the Wahls diet she is a doctor who got very ill in ME but got well from ME by diet!

Ah ic, I still find a variety of foods from the book, but I don’t know what mcas/histamine intolerance limits you to as well. I just can’t wait for paroxetine withdrawals to get better! Only time though! 

I follow The Plant Paradox lifestyle by Dr.Gundry. This lifestyle has given me my life back and I feel better than I have ever felt in my life. It has enabled me to finally get off of this medication and truly live my life. Nutrition is the key to health!!!!! 

2008 to 2019  - 20 mg Paroxetine

Attempted 2 CT's around the 5-6 year mark. Were absolutely terrible and reinstated. Was never explained by the doctor the seriousness of the short half life of this drug. 

2017 - Attempted a tapered discontinuation of this drug and reinstated after being unsuccessful.

2019 - Feb. 12 - After a three month taper I am off of paroxetine. The 3 months were terrible, awful withdrawal feelings. I followed the doctors guidelines for the reduction of this drug and now know it was way too fast. 
2019 - Oct. 12 - 8 months off paroxetine. 75% improvement since coming off the drug. Definitely have had tons of challenges along the way. Let’s go!!!! 

2021 - Feb. 12 - 24 months off paroxetine. I have minor challenges now. Tinnitus/Headaches are still around but are reduced by a massive amount. 

• Mentor
3 minutes ago, tryingtosurvive said:

So no squash at all for example ? Or you alternate ? 

No squash. I stick to broccoli, spinach, arugula, and numerous other greens. I used to eat 3000-5000 calories daily and was constantly hungry and since switching to this lifestyle I eat between 1500-2000 and never have my tummy rumble like it used to. 

I follow The Plant Paradox lifestyle by Dr.Gundry. This lifestyle has given me my life back and I feel better than I have ever felt in my life. It has enabled me to finally get off of this medication and truly live my life. Nutrition is the key to health!!!!! 

Attempted 2 CT's around the 5-6 year mark. Were absolutely terrible and reinstated. Was never explained by the doctor the seriousness of the short half life of this drug. 

2017 - Attempted a tapered discontinuation of this drug and reinstated after being unsuccessful.

2019 - Feb. 12 - After a three month taper I am off of paroxetine. The 3 months were terrible, awful withdrawal feelings. I followed the doctors guidelines for the reduction of this drug and now know it was way too fast. 
2019 - Oct. 12 - 8 months off paroxetine. 75% improvement since coming off the drug. Definitely have had tons of challenges along the way. Let’s go!!!! 

2021 - Feb. 12 - 24 months off paroxetine. I have minor challenges now. Tinnitus/Headaches are still around but are reduced by a massive amount. 

I do the low histamine diet and the specific carbohydrate diet. It is very difficult to do both so I allow myself a little bit of histamine and a little bit of high fodmap foods here and there so that my body doesn't develop an intolerance to them from avoiding for so long. I have SIBO and histamine intolerance from withdrawal and diet makes a huge difference, especially in my mental health.

12 hours ago, KMart95 said:

I do the low histamine diet and the specific carbohydrate diet. It is very difficult to do both so I allow myself a little bit of histamine and a little bit of high fodmap foods here and there so that my body doesn't develop an intolerance to them from avoiding for so long. I have SIBO and histamine intolerance from withdrawal and diet makes a huge difference, especially in my mental health.

This is a big dilemma for me now I don't wish to get more intolerance by avoiding but if I eat more then the "zeros" on the histaminlist I get reactions and have to take extra quercetine and/or antihistamines... so I wonder how do you reintroduced histamine foods ? And how much reactions is healthy to get ? 

Not speaking of dangerous anaphylaxis but I get swollen throat, brain fog, body pain ,stomach pain , connective tissue issues by triggering the mast cells with histamine food.....

Are you eating the "1:s" or the "2:s" when you eat histamine food ?

Very grateful to your reply or any tips on how to reintroduced histamine  foods...

Kindest regards

/trying to live...

5 hours ago, tryingtosurvive said:

This is a big dilemma for me now I don't wish to get more intolerance by avoiding but if I eat more then the "zeros" on the histaminlist I get reactions and have to take extra quercetine and/or antihistamines... so I wonder how do you reintroduced histamine foods ? And how much reactions is healthy to get ? 

Not speaking of dangerous anaphylaxis but I get swollen throat, brain fog, body pain ,stomach pain , connective tissue issues by triggering the mast cells with histamine food.....

Are you eating the "1:s" or the "2:s" when you eat histamine food ?

Very grateful to your reply or any tips on how to reintroduced histamine  foods...

Kindest regards

/trying to live...

I'm not sure about that list, I have never heard of it so i'm not sure what the numbers mean. But basically I will have an orange every now and then , or half an avocado type of thing. I will do it when I feel like the histamine in my body is under control. I'm sure you already know but having histamine intolerance is like a bucket and everyone's body has different tolerance levels. The goal is to not let the bucket overflow and have a bad reaction. But if I just have something small every now and then my histamine bucket remains low and I usually only get mild symptoms. I am lucky that I don't go into anaphalaxis but I do get an itchy mouth and throat, swollen lymph nodes, blocked ears, swollen sinuses, excess mucus, watery burning eyes, headaches and a slew of neurological problems if I overdo it.

6 hours ago, KMart95 said:

I'm not sure about that list, I have never heard of it so i'm not sure what the numbers mean. But basically I will have an orange every now and then , or half an avocado type of thing. I will do it when I feel like the histamine in my body is under control. I'm sure you already know but having histamine intolerance is like a bucket and everyone's body has different tolerance levels. The goal is to not let the bucket overflow and have a bad reaction. But if I just have something small every now and then my histamine bucket remains low and I usually only get mild symptoms. I am lucky that I don't go into anaphalaxis but I do get an itchy mouth and throat, swollen lymph nodes, blocked ears, swollen sinuses, excess mucus, watery burning eyes, headaches and a slew of neurological problems if I overdo it.

Yes I have heard of that histaminetheory but eating even the smallest piece of advokade or orange is out of question.  I will get a reaction instantly :*(...  maybe the bucket theory doesn't work once there is a mast cell activation disorder?

This is what damage Prozac gave me :(( I use to eat everything... I really miss alot of foods like fish , chocolate, coffee,... cheese etcetera etc!..:*(

The list I am talking about is the list used in Europe among ppl and doctors working with histamine issues :

https://www.histaminintoleranz.ch/en/downloads.html#foodlist

31 minutes ago, tryingtosurvive said:

Yes I have heard of that histaminetheory but eating even the smallest piece of advokade or orange is out of question.  I will get a reaction instantly :*(...  maybe the bucket theory doesn't work once there is a mast cell activation disorder?

This is what damage Prozac gave me :(( I use to eat everything... I really miss alot of foods like fish , chocolate, coffee,... cheese etcetera etc!..:*(

The list I am talking about is the list used in Europe among ppl and doctors working with histamine issues :

https://www.histaminintoleranz.ch/en/downloads.html#foodlist

Maybe that is true ! I'm sure it is different for mast cell. I'm not sure which one I have. I know a lot of people with mast cell take medications such as Cromolyn or Ketotifen to make symptoms a little more manageable. Perhaps became I am on a very small dose of Prozac I am able to tolerate a little more histamine than I could before I reinstated. I don't know what it is about Prozac specifically that causes all of these problems for us ;( I will have a look at that list, thank you!

14 hours ago, KMart95 said:

Maybe that is true ! I'm sure it is different for mast cell. I'm not sure which one I have. I know a lot of people with mast cell take medications such as Cromolyn or Ketotifen to make symptoms a little more manageable. Perhaps became I am on a very small dose of Prozac I am able to tolerate a little more histamine than I could before I reinstated. I don't know what it is about Prozac specifically that causes all of these problems for us ;( I will have a look at that list, thank you!

I took Prozac for 14 years and they started me in that **** when I was a teenager cause I had anorexia. Was never depressed before the Prozac   :*(

Well mast cells have serotonin receptors ... so since the SSRI impacts these and if you do that long enough ... no one really knows what happens ..but that's only one of many reasons why we are so damaged as we are after SSRI...

And sad as I am to have to take medication again... but my body ended up so bad that they had to put me on ketotifen so taking that now...  It doesn't help at all with the food allergies  though, but the bodily cramps are gone so I can get out of bed again...

• 5 months later...

I'm likely back on this bandwagon too 🤪

Testing required to find out what's going on with my gut.

19 months out from last dose of Lexapro.

Gut issues triggered by stress (as usual).

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

Re-located to UK from Canada: Jan 2016

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

13 hours ago, Junglechicken said:

19 months out from last dose of Lexapro.

Congratulations, @Junglechicken.

Did you have gut issues while coming off the Lexapro as well?  I’m having awful gut problems and it doesn’t even seem to matter that I’ve omitted wheat & dairy.  I’m trying to figure out what I can do, what I can eat.  
Cathy

1999-2006 Luvox, xanax

2007-2009 Prozac, xanax, klonopin

2009-2018 Zoloft, xanax, klonopin

2019 January zoloft 150mg, February 100mg, April 75mg, mid-May 50mg, July 25mg, (xanax .5mg or .25mg as needed)

August zoloft 25mg HOLD, CT xanax, reinstate 50mg zoloft, September reinstate 100mg zoloft w/.375 klonopin, mid-September lower to 75mg zoloft

2020 January:  .125mg klonopin 

February 1st: .112mg klonopin

February 24th:  60.3mgai zoloft

2020 December 1st:  off klonopin completely

currently on 15mgai zoloft 

• Mentor
12 minutes ago, Cathy4 said:

Did you have gut issues while coming off the Lexapro as well?  I’m having awful gut problems and it doesn’t even seem to matter that I’ve omitted wheat & dairy.  I’m trying to figure out what I can do, what I can eat.  
Cathy

Check out The Plant Paradox by Dr.Gundry.  I am 12 months off of paroxetine now because of this nutrition lifestyle. These medication absolutely cause havoc in our gut. A majority of our serotonin is there. 

4 minutes ago, Cocopuffz17 said:

Check out The Plant Paradox by Dr.Gundry.  I am 12 months off of paroxetine now because of this nutrition lifestyle. These medication absolutely cause havoc in our gut. A majority of our serotonin is there. 

Thank you so much, @Cocopuffz17, I have heard of that but haven’t tried strictly following his protocol.  I will try that.  I really appreciate your help.  

1999-2006 Luvox, xanax

2019 January zoloft 150mg, February 100mg, April 75mg, mid-May 50mg, July 25mg, (xanax .5mg or .25mg as needed)

August zoloft 25mg HOLD, CT xanax, reinstate 50mg zoloft, September reinstate 100mg zoloft w/.375 klonopin, mid-September lower to 75mg zoloft

• Mentor
7 minutes ago, Cathy4 said:

Thank you so much, @Cocopuffz17, I have heard of that but haven’t tried strictly following his protocol.  I will try that.  I really appreciate your help.  

Not a problem! It is the only variable I changed with this attempt of coming off the medication as opposed to the other 3 times I failed. It is the reason I had the courage to finally get off this drug. 

You are welcome! 

5 hours ago, Cathy4 said:

Cathy

@Cathy4 yes I did have issues coming off Lexapro.

At the moment I'm struggling to tolerate anything.

These are the worst issues I have had since getting involved with Lexapro.

Uggh!

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

19 hours ago, Junglechicken said:

At the moment I'm struggling to tolerate anything.

I’m really sorry to hear this, @Junglechicken.  I wish so much that it were a case of “okay, now that the drug is done, withdrawal is done.”  I try to explain this to people but they don’t believe it.  

I hope your late wave & awful gut issues pass soon.  
Cathy

1999-2006 Luvox, xanax

3 hours ago, Cathy4 said:

I’m really sorry to hear this, @Junglechicken.  I wish so much that it were a case of “okay, now that the drug is done, withdrawal is done.”  I try to explain this to people but they don’t believe it.  

I hope your late wave & awful gut issues pass soon.  
Cathy

Thank you Cathy, so do i 👍

Unfortunately, "it is, what it is", so I have to go through the testing phase and find out what's going on.

I hope you find relief soon yourself.

Major Life Events: 

• 2 months later...

Hi I've got a question haven't been here for a while because my family told me to distance myself from any triggers but I'm struggling again now. For the past few months my symptoms have seemed to become shorter and weaker if that makes sense to anyone. The main ones being some kind of adhd and trouble concentrating aswell as feeling wired mentally at night, DR and the occasional obsessive angry thoughts which lessoned aswell. Anyways my gut doctor has told me to cut out all dairy gluten and sugar which I've been having a lot of. I'm day four without any of these and my cortisol mornings which eased to the point of being rare and depression and crying came back today and I can't even remmeber the last time I had that oh and anxiety and agitation came back too? Is my withdrawal exacerbating my gluten sugar and dairy withdrawal? Because I feel as if I'm going backwards when really I feel I need to heal my gut to get better fully. I'm almost 100% sure I'm withdrawing from gluten etc and it's making my symptoms worsen again. All advice would appreciated man, really struggled today after such a long time. Kinda heartbreaking lol not even kidding. 

Fluanxol dosage n/a - 6 months cold turkey Start/ may 2015 end/august 2015

Sertraline 100mg - 10 months cold turkey start/ may 2015 End/Feb 2016

• 5 months later...
On 6/16/2019 at 9:36 AM, KMart95 said:

I am wondering if anyone knows what might cause SIBO in withdrawal? 4 years ago I got SIBO when I went off Celexa. I treated it sucessfully and felt great for 3 years until I can off my meds again recently. It always comes back when I stop my SSRI (confirmed with breath test) . 

@KMart95Hi there, I know this is an older post but I’m going through this right now. I am pretty sure sibo started right away for me when I tapered off lexapro last year and kept getting worse over the past year until we figured it out. I got pretty bad constipation too. I think the body tries to get back to homeostasis after the serotonin is taken out and motility is slow during that process? Or something with the receptors in the gut.  My anxiety has skyrocketed and my sibo isn’t gone but I don’t want to get back on Lexapro for fear of dealing with this again when trying to get off next time. 
Were you able to get rid of the Sibo?

Lexapro 20mg 2009-2011

Lexapro 20mg 2013-2014, tried Zoloft, trintellex and celexa during this time but did not have good reactions. Effexor 2014-2017 pristiq 2017-2018 lexapro 20mg 2018- June 2019

now treating sibo

• 1 month later...

I have had histamine sensitivity most likely due to gastrointestinal issues. I am now working with a Naturopath with the assumption that I may have leaky gut/SIBo probably due to the slow down of my digestion. I just had a hysterectomy this summer and I am not able to eat carbs without much gas. I mostly have constipation and histamine reactions in my eyes and sinus. Most of my issafter  happen at about 2 to 4 hours of having eating. Most ikely as food is going down the small intestine. Just wondering if anyone has this issue and what you are doing about it? I am at 0.30 mg of Celeaxa cutting 10% every 4 weeks.

2006-2007 Lexapro (not sure of dose) in 2006

2007 Stopped abruptly. Developed serious wd symptom.Went back after two weeks and  tapered successfully over 3 months

November 2013  started 10 mg of Celexa for hormonal symptoms

early 2014 cutdown Celexa to 5 mg.Attempted to get off it November 2014 and had  

Anxiety increased  every time I used  an OTC or had stress.

April-May Cortisol spike problems 

July 2016 Started taking liquid Celexa 7.5 mg

June 2021 I finished my taper en

Severe anxiety and insomnia

June 2022 symptoms omproved

July 2023 gut issues and sleep issues contnue

Hi all,

Herbal Antibiotics for SIFO/SIBO

I'm aware that antibiotics are known to trigger setbacks for those of us in withdrawal. I was just wondering if anyone has any experiences with herbal antibiotics such as oregano, caprylic acid etc?

I'm 3 months into withdrawal, have been seeing slow but definitely steady progress. Took a herbal antibiotic blend earlier and have definitely noticed a spike in anxiety this evening. I'm thinking its probably best to accept the SIBO/SIFO for the time being and treat it in a year or so.

Interested to hear other peoples experiences.

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title

Started Lexapro 5mg Mid March 2020

Came off Completely September 2020

Hospitalised september 2021

Slowly worked up to 50mg lamictal and 60mg Prozac

reduced to 20mg Prozac September 2021

Holding 20mg Prozac and 50mg Lamictal for a good while to stabilise. November 2021

• Moderator Emeritus
12 minutes ago, mva96 said:

I was just wondering if anyone has any experiences with herbal antibiotics such as oregano,

Everyone's different, so what works for me might not work for you.  I use echinacea, oregano oil and Colloidal silver when I have a cold and haven't experienced any bad reaction to them.  Keep in mind that oregano oil and colloidal silver, like regular antibiotics, kill both the good and bad bacteria, so I make sure to supplement as best I can with probiotics when taking herbal antibacterial/viral supplements.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of Feb. 22: 7.6mg

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• 9 months later...
On 11/30/2017 at 5:06 AM, tryingtosurvive said:

Hi, is there anyone else who has experience of gastrointestinal issues after tapering of SSRI ? I wonder if it can all be damages that the SSRI caused cause the serotonin are mainly in the gut and thay also excist in the mastcells which is involved in allergic reactions! I havce developed histamineintolerance after tapering....never had allergies before...

My functional DR thinks I might have SIBO /SIFO /Candida/Leaky gut and wants to treat me for that. But I wonder if it cant all be just still damages from SSRI ??

I have developed histamineintolerance and joint/muscle cramps , brain fog etc. that  I had a lot combined with akatisia and other horrible symptoms during Withdrawal which took me approx .2 years and now its 3 years since I started tapering of SSRI - have been free from ssri for 2 years.

Very grateful to your replies to this !

@tryingtosurviveHow did you cure your SIBO/candida/leaky gut? I was diagnosed with the same issues from my functional dr but I'm reacting to all the probiotics and herbal supplements. Do I really have these issues and can they heal on their own in time with a good diet or will I have to take supplements for them to heal? Im scared it will take years because I cant do traditional healing treatments due to intolerance from hypersensitivity. 

-2014: Lexapro/escitalopram 10 mg, 2015-2021: Lexapro/escitalopram 20 mg

-10/2020-3/2021: decreased 20 mg to 15 mg, 1 mg a month

-4/2021: decreased to 10 mg, held for 11 days, 4/2021: decreased to 5 mg, held for 8 days

-4/2021: 3-6 days cold turkey lexapro, withdrawal symptoms so reinstated 2.5 mg 

-omeprazole taper: 9/2021 cut 25%, 10/20/21 25% cut, 12/1/21 25%, 12/28/21 25% cut, (9/36 beads of 40 mg)

-11/2020 omeprazole 20 mg, 3/2021: omeprazole 40 mg,

-Nordic Naturals Ultimate omega 3 fish pill: 1280 mg

-montelukast: 10 mg dailyzyrtec: 10 mg daily 

-3/20/2021-7/25: mesalamine 1.2 GM, 3 times a day - dropped

-birth control: Trilinyah 2014- 2/1/2021 quit cold turkey middle of pack 

7/16/2021-8/1/2021 Quicksilver Liposomal multivitamin liquid: biotin, zinc, Vitamins A, C, D E, K, Niacin,, Thiomine, Riboflavin,Vitamin B6, B12, 7/16/2021- 8/25/2021 - boswelia complex (tumeric. ginger, celery) - 2 a day - dropped

7/16/2021 - probiophage probiotic - dropped 

On 6/18/2019 at 4:44 PM, Altostrata said:

It depends on what's causing your GI issues. If it's SIBO, you'll probably have to treat it.

@AltostrataBeofre I realized lexparo withdrawal was causing my stomach issues, my dr put me on mesalamine (anti-inflammatory), hyoscyamine (antispasmodic to slow down the diarhea) and omeprazole a ppi for acid reflux. I know now I have sibo. I came off of both the anti-inflammatory and antispasmodic and working on reducing the ppi. As you mentioned PPI and slow motility of the gut can cause sibo, which I did both with these drugs from traditional drs that made me worse. If I get off all these, will that heal the sibo or will I have to wait until I can tolerate probiotics to heal it? my functional dr recommend bax 3000 allergy treatment to help me tolerate more foods since probiotics are not tolerated by me. I believe it stimulates the CNS though so Im hesitant to do that treatment. Have you heard of this? 

-4/2021: decreased to 10 mg, held for 11 days, 4/2021: decreased to 5 mg, held for 8 days

-omeprazole taper: 9/2021 cut 25%, 10/20/21 25% cut, 12/1/21 25%, 12/28/21 25% cut, (9/36 beads of 40 mg)

7/16/2021-8/1/2021 Quicksilver Liposomal multivitamin liquid: biotin, zinc, Vitamins A, C, D E, K, Niacin,, Thiomine, Riboflavin,Vitamin B6, B12, 7/16/2021- 8/25/2021 - boswelia complex (tumeric. ginger, celery) - 2 a day - dropped

1 hour ago, Sicksagittarius said:

@AltostrataBeofre I realized lexparo withdrawal was causing my stomach issues, my dr put me on mesalamine (anti-inflammatory), hyoscyamine (antispasmodic to slow down the diarhea) and omeprazole a ppi for acid reflux. I know now I have sibo. I came off of both the anti-inflammatory and antispasmodic and working on reducing the ppi. As you mentioned PPI and slow motility of the gut can cause sibo, which I did both with these drugs from traditional drs that made me worse. If I get off all these, will that heal the sibo or will I have to wait until I can tolerate probiotics to heal it? my functional dr recommend bax 3000 allergy treatment to help me tolerate more foods since probiotics are not tolerated by me. I believe it stimulates the CNS though so Im hesitant to do that treatment. Have you heard of this? 

1 hour ago, Sicksagittarius said:

@tryingtosurviveHow did you cure your SIBO/candida/leaky gut? I was diagnosed with the same issues from my functional dr but I'm reacting to all the probiotics and herbal supplements. Do I really have these issues and can they heal on their own in time with a good diet or will I have to take supplements for them to heal? Im scared it will take years because I cant do traditional healing treatments due to intolerance from hypersensitivity. 

hello! i used to deal with SIBO/ Leaky gut, bloating. and i found eliminating certain foods such as fruits high in sugar/carbs + fiber for a period of time got rid of most of the symptoms. if you have a local Sprouts/ Mother's or organic natural grocery store in your area, look for "Raw Kefir" It is an amazing probiotic that truly helped heal my gut + digestive issues + bloating. Coconut oil kills Candida/SIBO. You need to stick to a diet that eliminates processed sugar + even fruits for a while like i mentioned. Such as "Keto Diet" or "Carnivore Diet". Look these up on Youtube, they will help you see what is allowed and what's not allowed on the diets. i personally found following a carnivore diet, consisting of meat, eggs, some dairy, high fats , such as butter, ghee tallow, bone marrow. and eliminating fruit , processed sugar and pasteurized dairy truly helped. Also look up the GAPS Diet. And Nourishing Traditions". "Heal your gut guy" on Youtube. Keep eating fermented Raw Kefir, Saurkraut. Take probiotic capsules. Do this for atleast 6 months. Then add Raw Milk, if you start to notice you can handle it. Liver is also a great superfood that heals the gut. As well as Bone Broth + Collagen Peptides.

March 18, 2015: Zoloft 25 - 50 mg.discontinued zoloft after a couple of months, started prozac 10mg - 20mg. January 1st, 2016: Cold turkeyd prozac 20mg. October 26, 2016: Wellbutrin SR, lowest dose, increased to Wellbutrin XL 150, then 300mg. November 1, 2016: Took Effexor, and Ambien once,then stopped completely. May 12, 2017: began taking Gabapentin, 100 mg - 300 mg 2-3 times a day. then lowered to only 300mg a day.

June 1st, 2017: Took prozac once in desperation to feel better. February 15, 2019: Went to hospital and asked for a tapering schedule for Gabapentin 300mg. Took low dose of Ativan for a week.September 1st, 2019: Started cutting Wellbutrin 150mg in half, until i stopped completely one day. June 30th, 2020: Began taking Wellbutrin 150mg - 300mg. December 16th, 2020: I went off Wellbutrin 150mg Cold turkey.

January 30th, 2021: I began Wellbutrin again at 150 mg. April 28th, 2021: I began taking Lamictal 25mg.I stopped the Wellbutrin 150mg. May 14, 2021: Upped Lamictal to 50mg. May 29, 2021: Upped Lamictal to 100mg. June 19, 2021: Upped Lamictal to 150mg. I have been on Lamictal 150mg since then. 

On 11/30/2017 at 2:06 AM, tryingtosurvive said:

Hi, is there anyone else who has experience of gastrointestinal issues after tapering of SSRI ? I wonder if it can all be damages that the SSRI caused cause the serotonin are mainly in the gut and thay also excist in the mastcells which is involved in allergic reactions! I havce developed histamineintolerance after tapering....never had allergies before...

My functional DR thinks I might have SIBO /SIFO /Candida/Leaky gut and wants to treat me for that. But I wonder if it cant all be just still damages from SSRI ??

I have developed histamineintolerance and joint/muscle cramps , brain fog etc. that  I had a lot combined with akatisia and other horrible symptoms during Withdrawal which took me approx .2 years and now its 3 years since I started tapering of SSRI - have been free from ssri for 2 years.

Very grateful to your replies to this !

hello! i used to deal with SIBO/ Leaky gut, bloating. and i found eliminating certain foods such as fruits high in sugar/carbs + fiber for a period of time got rid of most of the symptoms. if you have a local Sprouts/ Mother's or organic natural grocery store in your area, look for "Raw Kefir" It is an amazing probiotic that truly helped heal my gut + digestive issues + bloating. Coconut oil kills Candida/SIBO. You need to stick to a diet that eliminates processed sugar + even fruits for a while like i mentioned. Such as "Keto Diet" or "Carnivore Diet". Look these up on Youtube, they will help you see what is allowed and what's not allowed on the diets. i personally found following a carnivore diet, consisting of meat, eggs, some dairy, high fats , such as butter, ghee tallow, bone marrow. and eliminating fruit , processed sugar and pasteurized dairy truly helped. Also look up the GAPS Diet. And Nourishing Traditions". "Heal your gut guy" on Youtube. Keep eating fermented Raw Kefir, Saurkraut, Yogurt. Take probiotic capsules. Do this for atleast 6 months. Then add Raw Milk, if you start to notice you can handle it. Liver is also a great superfood that heals the gut. As well as Bone Broth + Collagen Peptides.

March 18, 2015: Zoloft 25 - 50 mg.discontinued zoloft after a couple of months, started prozac 10mg - 20mg. January 1st, 2016: Cold turkeyd prozac 20mg. October 26, 2016: Wellbutrin SR, lowest dose, increased to Wellbutrin XL 150, then 300mg. November 1, 2016: Took Effexor, and Ambien once,then stopped completely. May 12, 2017: began taking Gabapentin, 100 mg - 300 mg 2-3 times a day. then lowered to only 300mg a day.

June 1st, 2017: Took prozac once in desperation to feel better. February 15, 2019: Went to hospital and asked for a tapering schedule for Gabapentin 300mg. Took low dose of Ativan for a week.September 1st, 2019: Started cutting Wellbutrin 150mg in half, until i stopped completely one day. June 30th, 2020: Began taking Wellbutrin 150mg - 300mg. December 16th, 2020: I went off Wellbutrin 150mg Cold turkey.

January 30th, 2021: I began Wellbutrin again at 150 mg. April 28th, 2021: I began taking Lamictal 25mg.I stopped the Wellbutrin 150mg. May 14, 2021: Upped Lamictal to 50mg. May 29, 2021: Upped Lamictal to 100mg. June 19, 2021: Upped Lamictal to 150mg. I have been on Lamictal 150mg since then. 

• Administrator

@Sicksagittarius please stop tagging me to consult about your gut issues. I cannot advise you in any detail about your medical problems. I cannot answer questions like these:

19 hours ago, Sicksagittarius said:

If I get off all these, will that heal the sibo or will I have to wait until I can tolerate probiotics to heal it? my functional dr recommend bax 3000 allergy treatment to help me tolerate more foods since probiotics are not tolerated by me. I believe it stimulates the CNS though so Im hesitant to do that treatment. Have you heard of this? 

Use common sense. Has your functional medicine doctor been insightful or helpful or has this person been throwing supplements at you?

You will want to join a SIBO group or histamine intolerance group or a group that is about whatever gut condition you decide you have. There are many such groups on Facebook. 

@gigithemagiccat FYI People who have histamine intolerance probably would be made worse by the regimen you recommend.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

5 hours ago, Altostrata said:

@Sicksagittarius please stop tagging me to consult about your gut issues. I cannot advise you in any detail about your medical problems. I cannot answer questions like these:

Use common sense. Has your functional medicine doctor been insightful or helpful or has this person been throwing supplements at you?

You will want to join a SIBO group or histamine intolerance group or a group that is about whatever gut condition you decide you have. There are many such groups on Facebook. 

@gigithemagiccat FYI People who have histamine intolerance probably would be made worse by the regimen you recommend.

yeah you're probably right since fermented foods are high in histamines,it's better to incorporate these little by little with saurkraut, kefir etc. 

focus on meat,eggs, raw dairy such as milk. Vitamin C is good for healing histamine intolerance, so citrus fruits, berries.  Herbs such as Turmeric, Oregano, Ginger, Neem, Garlic, etc. temporarily are good as well. but to heal SIBO you must avoid sugars, pasteurized dairy,most plant toxins, oxalates. there are ways to do that. overconsumption of fruits very high in sugar. I'm just stating what worked for me, which was a carnivore diet, GAPS/WAPF, Nourishing Traditions Diet. I'm not forcing my diet by any means. 

• 3 months later...
On 9/4/2021 at 10:53 PM, gigithemagiccat said:

yeah you're probably right since fermented foods are high in histamines,it's better to incorporate these little by little with saurkraut, kefir etc. 

focus on meat,eggs, raw dairy such as milk. Vitamin C is good for healing histamine intolerance, so citrus fruits, berries.  Herbs such as Turmeric, Oregano, Ginger, Neem, Garlic, etc. temporarily are good as well. but to heal SIBO you must avoid sugars, pasteurized dairy,most plant toxins, oxalates. there are ways to do that. overconsumption of fruits very high in sugar. I'm just stating what worked for me, which was a carnivore diet, GAPS/WAPF, Nourishing Traditions Diet. I'm not forcing my diet by any means. 

Thank you for your amazing advice! I'm in the process of lowering oxalates, salicylates and histamine buckets right now then working towards GAPS. I eat only a handful of foods like flash frozen fish, iceberg lettuce, carrots, sweet ptoato, kale, argula, olive oil, some peanut butter (tapering off it). Were you able to handle all the herbs while in withdrawals? Did lowering your histamine and salicylates be considered a detox, worsening WD symptoms at all for you? 

On 6/18/2019 at 3:38 PM, Altostrata said:

If you want to treat SIBO, the bacteria-killing herbal supplements are also available at Swanson Vitamins. I used oregano oil and black cumin see oil. Both of these are very strong herbal oils. You can tell when they hit your gut. (I believe I found berberine and peppermint oil disagreed with me.)

But they did eliminate my SIBO. (I also took glutamine and quercetin for gut healing, and still use DGL for acid burb indigestion.)

Reading this makes so much sense. After I stopped the fluoxetine in May, a month later I had diarrhea everyday for 19 days and my stomach hasn’t been the same, I’ve had persistent nausea. And a doctor told me I have leaky gut in July. However I just ignored it and thought my anxiety was causing my stomach issues. @Altostratai know you typically say to not take any supplements besides mag and omega 3. However, should I treat the leaky gut issues ? Will it hurt my nervous system? 

ProzacNovember 2019: 10MG start

January 2021: up to 60MG 

march 2021: Valium everyday 2MG twice a day for a month or after that take as needed 

April 2021-May: taper to 0MG

June 2021: Zoloft 7 days and ween off. 
August 2021: escitalopram 5MG-10MG

August 2021: Propanol 10MG-20MG as needed 

September 2021: weened off escitalopram over a week.

October 30th: Citalopram 20MG 

November 10th: stopped - 10MG 2 days. 
November 14th: Prozac 20MG

November 18th: stop C/T 

• Administrator

@OptimisticRP, you are tagging me for every little question. We are about self-care here. You have the ability to search for discussions in the Symptoms and Self-Care forum. You have the ability to join Facebook groups for SIBO and gut erosion. You have the ability to Google to answer your own questions. Please do this and do not tag me except for tapering questions.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

I have been looking into SIBO and have seen people with similar problems, so I thought I would leave what I found here in case it is of any help. Hopefully it will help people who just started on this journey.

I am not an expert. I would recommend against taking one person's word as that could lead you down the wrong path.

Ok let me see what I remember from SIBO. From what I remember SIBO is a symptom itself. You can treat it but it would be hard to without fixing the underlying cause. In other words it may keep coming back even it you treat the SIBO itself. Antibiotics are a short term fix for many people (some people it works and SIBO doesnt come back). So the question you may have to ask is how severely is SIBO affecting you? If you have no other choice than you may consider taking the antibiotics. I personally recommend only taking them in life threatening situations as we have no Idea how you will react.  It may do nothing to you, It may ramp up your symptoms, kindle you or through you into a set back, It can also make you bedbound and in severe pain with more unbearable symptoms. Not trying to scare you but it is something you have to consider if you are willing to risk. I would recommend using the search feature on this site to find how others reacted to antibiotics to get a better idea. Always use the search feature. You will get a wide variety of views and can weed out information that applies to you. For this reason many people avoid antibiotics. Congrats on anyone following diets. It is hard because of the conflicting information out there.

Supplements my help you but there is no way to predict how you will react to them. Follow the supplement guidelines for this site if you choice to do so. Try simple methods first like diet.

So what are the underlying causes? No surprise,  ssri/ssrn can lead to underlying causes.

https://bioadaptivemedicine.com/new-blog/root-causes-sibo

As you can see from the link it can be caused by many things. So it's a process of elimination. 

There is is a lot of info on this site about SIBO. If you wish to treat SIBO with out antibiotics you can ask your doctor for help. Say you cant take them for whatever reason. See if they can determine the root cause from the link. (It's easier to through antibiotics at people) I will also tell you SIBO is stubborn. Join a SIBO support group if you can there are many on facebook.

The serach function is your best friend. Use it as much as you can. Also find topics in symptoms you can post in. It helps keep most information in one place

If you are considering taking the antibiotic it may be helpful to post in your intro topic. There the mods can see your past history.  

Also google is your best friend. You are going to have to get good at researching the $h!t out of things. 
Dr. google says:

SIBO can be cured in most people by treating the underlying cause and eradicating the bacterial overgrowth with one or two weeks of antibiotic therapy. The effectiveness of antibiotics, however, may be limited. In many cases, patients successfully treated with antibiotics will experience SIBO again within nine months.

Current: Bupropion 450mg, Neurontin 800mg, Klonopin 0.5mg

History:

July 2020: started Cogentin 1mg, Lamictal 50mg, Zoloft 150mg, Zyprexa 5mg (+5mg as needed), Klonopin 0.5mg

November 2020: stopped all meds cold-turkey

February 2021: started Latuda 60mg, Lithium 300mg, Melatonin 5mg, Protonix 40mg, Topamax 25mg

2 weeks later: stopped Topamax, increased Lithium 900mg, started Klonopin 1mg, Lexapro 20mg, Neurontin 400mg

April 2021: started Bupropion 150mg, Revia ?mg

May 2021: stopped ReviaProtonixLexaproincreased Neurontin 800mg, started Celexa 10mg

August 2021: decreased Celexa 5mg (stopped Celexa 2 weeks later), increased Bupropion 300mg

September 2021: increased Latuda 80mg

October 2021: decreased Lithium 600mg for 4 daysLithium 300mg for 4 daysstopped LithiumLatuda

increased Bupropion 450mg, started Remeron 15mg, decreased Remeron 7.5mg, stopped Remeron

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/18/2019 at 3:38 PM, Altostrata said:

If you want to treat SIBO, the bacteria-killing herbal supplements are also available at Swanson Vitamins. I used oregano oil and black cumin see oil. Both of these are very strong herbal oils. You can tell when they hit your gut. (I believe I found berberine and peppermint oil disagreed with me.)

But they did eliminate my SIBO. (I also took glutamine and quercetin for gut healing, and still use DGL for acid burb indigestion.)

Those two herbs eliminated the SIBO? 

and what dosage?  

ProzacNovember 2019: 10MG start

January 2021: up to 60MG 

march 2021: Valium everyday 2MG twice a day for a month or after that take as needed 

April 2021-May: taper to 0MG

June 2021: Zoloft 7 days and ween off. 
August 2021: escitalopram 5MG-10MG

August 2021: Propanol 10MG-20MG as needed 

September 2021: weened off escitalopram over a week.

October 30th: Citalopram 20MG 

November 10th: stopped - 10MG 2 days. 
November 14th: Prozac 20MG

November 18th: stop C/T 

• Administrator

Read the referenced links in the post.

• 6 months later...

This is a comment written by @tsranga and originally posted in @FeralCatman's intro topic. 

It's so informative that I am re-posting it here as I think it could be of interest to a wider audience.

Thank you, tsranga. 

14 minutes ago, tsranga said:

I did the sibo test which was positive. Went through 4 months of herbal antimicrobials instead of rifimaxcin.  Symptoms improved but my repeat  sibo test was still positive, in fact, it had higher hydrogen numbers.

So, sibo ia a red herring..  I did have food intolerances and reactions to raw onion, garlic, fiber but I realized that it was more due to a hypersensitive gut/nervous system rather than major gut dysbiosis.  

I also did a gi-map test which showed mild gut dysbiosis for which I took Spanish black radish. 

Again, didn't notice much of a difference. 

What helped me most was to cook everything, especially high fodmap foods, and reintroduce them very slowly.  It took me a year for my food tolerance to improve, and now I can have salads and high fodmap foods without issues. I still do it in moderation, and not make a meal of it. 

The most important thing for us is to focus on gut motility and increasing digestion - as long as the gut is moving well, there is less likelihood of sibo.  I added a teaspoon of fresh ginger, lemon and salt before food to get th enzymes going, followed food combining guidelines (have fruit as a separate meal and not with other food), spacing meals (atleast 4 hrs) without snacking between meals, timing your biggest/densest meals to when the sun is at its peak.

I find that excessive gas/burping is a sign of excess parasympathetic activity at night, so I try to get th air/gas out during the day with a exercise (walking, yoga) and diaphragmatic breathing lying down after meals to get the gut moving.

1996-2018 - misc. polypharmacy, incl. SSRIs, SNRIs, neuroleptics, lithium, benzos, stimulants, antihistamines, etc. (approx. 30+ drugs)

2012-2018 - 10mg lexapro/escitalopram (20mg?)    Jan. 2018 - 10mg -> 5mg, then from 5mg -> 2.5mg, then 0mg  -->  July 2018 - 0mg

2017(?)-2020 - vyvanse/lisdexamfetamine 60-70mg    2020-2021 - 70mg down to 0mg  -->  July 2021 - 0mg

March-April 2021 - vortioxetine 5-10mg (approx. 7 weeks total; CT)  -->  April 28th, 2021 - 0mg

supplements: magnesium powder (dissolved in water) as needed throughout the day; 1 tsp fish oil w/ morning meal; 2mg melatonin 

August 1, 2022 - 1 mg melatonin

Courage is fear that has said its prayers.  - Karle Wilson Baker

love and justice are not two. without inner change, there can be no outer change; without collective change, no change matters.  - Rev. angel Kyodo williams

Holding multiple truths. Knowing that everyone has their own accurate view of the way things are.  - text on homemade banner at Afiya house

I am not a medical professional; this is not medical advice. 

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy