SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

• Moderator Emeritus

I've asked the other mods for their thoughts about you reinstating a very small dose of the last drug you were taking.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

On 1/6/2018 at 12:00 PM, WuGang said:

UPDATE!

First of all, I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas. 

I have been on 0.5ml of liquid fluoxetine since the 20th of December now. Haven't noticed a difference yet. I really hope this is enough to avoid a big crash of withdrawing too fast previously. 

Will keep you updated. 

did you stay on the low dose of liquid fluoxetine? if so how did it go? how are your symptoms now? 

Took prozac 40 mg for 20 years.

January 2017 started cutting down prozac by 12.5% a week. End of February 2017 completely off prozac and withdrawals began.

Currently taking Levothyroxine 75 mcg, Magnesium citrate 200mg,Sage leaf 50mg daily

Amlodipine: October 2017 , discontinued 26 Feb 2019; Candesartan:  26 Feb 2019, 4mg.

Discontinued magnesium citrate 200mg Apr 3rd 2019

Reinstated prozac:  14 Jan 2019, 1mg; 26 Jan, 1.5mg; 4 Feb, 2mg; 16 Feb, 2.5mg; 2 Mar, 3mg; 5 Mar, 2.5mg, 23 Mar, 3 mg; 6 Apr, 3.5mg, 14 Apr 4mg, 23 Apr 5mg, 10 Jul 8mg, 1 Dec 20mg, 1 Apr 2020 40mg 

@ChessieCat

You mean Fluoxetine? 

Been on SSRIs, Fluoxetine, for approx 20 years. Decided in 2017 to come off the medicine. The doctor told me a real quick, simple plan to withdraw. Only took a couple of months. After being informed of the risk involved in a too fast stopping of fluoxetine I have decided to reinstate the medicine at 2mg and cut down much slower at the safer, recommended 10% rule. Been roughly 2 months since stopping the fluoxetine, a little worried about hypersensitivity, will have to see what happens. 

Was also on amitriptyline for several years. Stopped that too. Hoping just reinstating the fluoxetine would be enough.

Fingers crossed!

@thecowisback

I did stay on it for a little while, stopped completely though. Couldn't notice any difference when taking it, the dose was so low. My symptoms have been good except the brain fog, I am finding it very difficult to concentrate and think clearly, even on things I enjoy like game, music, movies. I definitely can't read books at the moment and haven't been able to since last year, when people talk to me I struggle to understand. My mind just isn't my own now, it's like stopping Fluoxetine has broken it or aged it a few decades. The anxiety is as bad as ever and admittedly I'm falling back into depression which is why the doctor wants to put me on Sertraline. 

Been on SSRIs, Fluoxetine, for approx 20 years. Decided in 2017 to come off the medicine. The doctor told me a real quick, simple plan to withdraw. Only took a couple of months. After being informed of the risk involved in a too fast stopping of fluoxetine I have decided to reinstate the medicine at 2mg and cut down much slower at the safer, recommended 10% rule. Been roughly 2 months since stopping the fluoxetine, a little worried about hypersensitivity, will have to see what happens. 

Was also on amitriptyline for several years. Stopped that too. Hoping just reinstating the fluoxetine would be enough.

Fingers crossed!

Just now, WuGang said:

@thecowisback

I did stay on it for a little while, stopped completely though. Couldn't notice any difference when taking it, the dose was so low. My symptoms have been good except the brain fog, I am finding it very difficult to concentrate and think clearly, even on things I enjoy like game, music, movies. I definitely can't read books at the moment and haven't been able to since last year, when people talk to me I struggle to understand. My mind just isn't my own now, it's like stopping Fluoxetine has broken it or aged it a few decades. The anxiety is as bad as ever and admittedly I'm falling back into depression which is why the doctor wants to put me on Sertraline. 

it's horrible going through this. i have depression which i never had before taking prozac. the anxiety has (i hope) lessened over the last few months. i was checking my diary the other day and last autumn and over christmas i was in a terrible state and even begged the doctor for something to help. he gave me sertraline but i only managed one pill and it made me really ill so i never took any more. my windows are becoming more frequent so i just hope i'm making progress. i have days like today when i burst into tears at literally anything and these are the hard days to handle. i hope you manage to keep off the drugs. the lure to go back on them is so strong!! keep us posted as to how you get on 😊

January 2017 started cutting down prozac by 12.5% a week. End of February 2017 completely off prozac and withdrawals began.

Currently taking Levothyroxine 75 mcg, Magnesium citrate 200mg,Sage leaf 50mg daily

Amlodipine: October 2017 , discontinued 26 Feb 2019; Candesartan:  26 Feb 2019, 4mg.

Reinstated prozac:  14 Jan 2019, 1mg; 26 Jan, 1.5mg; 4 Feb, 2mg; 16 Feb, 2.5mg; 2 Mar, 3mg; 5 Mar, 2.5mg, 23 Mar, 3 mg; 6 Apr, 3.5mg, 14 Apr 4mg, 23 Apr 5mg, 10 Jul 8mg, 1 Dec 20mg, 1 Apr 2020 40mg 

@ChessieCat

So no one's tried Sertraline and can tell me about it?

Fingers crossed!

1 minute ago, thecowisback said:

it's horrible going through this. i have depression which i never had before taking prozac. the anxiety has (i hope) lessened over the last few months. i was checking my diary the other day and last autumn and over christmas i was in a terrible state and even begged the doctor for something to help. he gave me sertraline but i only managed one pill and it made me really ill so i never took any more. my windows are becoming more frequent so i just hope i'm making progress. i have days like today when i burst into tears at literally anything and these are the hard days to handle. i hope you manage to keep off the drugs. the lure to go back on them is so strong!! keep us posted as to how you get on 😊

@thecowisback

So you don't recommend going back on any medication? To be honest, I don't really want to, I just don't know what else to do, my doctor has already prescribed them to me, I've yet to pick them up. I have diazepam for really big things, like when I have to visit the dentist or hospital at the end of the month for toenail removal. And to get through my wedding! I'll let you know what happens. 

Fingers crossed!

13 minutes ago, WuGang said:

@thecowisback

So you don't recommend going back on any medication? To be honest, I don't really want to, I just don't know what else to do, my doctor has already prescribed them to me, I've yet to pick them up. I have diazepam for really big things, like when I have to visit the dentist or hospital at the end of the month for toenail removal. And to get through my wedding! I'll let you know what happens. 

after reading lots of posts on here i'm very reluctant to go back on meds. all the horrilbe things i've been through since stopping prozac will have been in vain if i go back to it now. i am getting better very very slowly, i'm sure of it, but i want it faster and i want it now!!! if you see what i mean, and i'm sure everyone going through withdrawals feels the same. i've been reading the posts of aeroman on here who has recovered. he talks about 'burning through time', doing anything, anything at all to fill the time during withdrawal so that you don't have time to ruminate and wallow in the horrible withdrawals and his posts make a lot of sense. like i say i'm still hovering about going back on meds but it seems from other peoples' experiences on here that it only makes things worse going back on the drugs. if someone could guarantee that i could go back on meds and feel tickety-boo then i would take them like a shot, despite the side effects as i'm really really low right now but i must also start to have faith in myself that i can and will get better. 

my husband says i'm a far more understanding person since coming off the meds. i have more empathy for people now (too much really) and care for people much more. you could do what i'm doing right now - taking each day as it comes, telling myself i can try the meds next week if things get too much, and hopefully i can managed to stay off them. when i gave up smoking years ago i kept cigarettes unopened in the house and that worked for me - when i threw them all away i would panic and go and buy more and smoke them but if i knew they were there if i needed them i never bothered to smoke them. 

@thecowisback

Yeah, that does make a lot of sense. I will pick up the meds, take them if I get worse, but in the meantime, I think I'm going to try and ride it out. see if I can overcome. Maybe this bout of depression could just be the withdrawals of Fluoxetine I was warned about?? If that's the case then yeah, I just need to ride out the storm. 

Fingers crossed!

• Administrator
11 hours ago, WuGang said:

@thecowisback

When was the last time you took fluoxetine, at what dosage, and for how long?

We haven't heard from you for more than 6 months. Has your symptom pattern improved, gotten worse, or stayed the same?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

@Altostrata

Hello,

I can't remember the dose, I think it was mentioned on the 10% tapering off Fluoxetine link that was shared with me. It was a very tiny amount, the doctor didn't believe it would do anything it was so small. I took it from December I think to the end of February. 

Was stable for a while but, anxiety has stayed the same, unbearable and can't cope. And now the depression is back in a huge way, so the doctor has prescribed me Sertraline. Don't really want to go through all that again though to be honest. 

Fingers crossed!

• Administrator
On 8/11/2018 at 3:44 AM, WuGang said:

Was stable for a while but, anxiety has stayed the same, unbearable and can't cope.

When you say "a while," up to when? Maybe March?

When you took the Prozac, did the anxiety reduce at all? Any change in symptom pattern?

Of course your doctor didn't believe it would do anything, they don't know anything about withdrawal syndrome or tapering. We often see small amounts of the drug help quite a bit, because the nervous system is sensitized.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

@Altostrata

Yes, must have been around March. The Fluoxetine never helped with the anxiety, it was just there to treat the depression, even though anxiety is the bigger issue for me. Well was... 

Anyway, no medication the doc gave me ever worked on the anxiety. 

I have a question of the brain fog/slow down/can't concentrate if you don't mind, will it wear off or is this permanent like I've done permanent damage being on them so long or do I need to just wait it out? Also, in regards to the depression being back and as bad as ever, is that withdrawals still going on, so just wait it out, or is the depression really back? I know you're not a trained doctor but just want to know your thoughts. Thanks. 

Fingers crossed!

• Administrator

Did you have anxiety before you took any psychiatric drugs? Did you have anxiety while taking Prozac?

Fluoxetine has a very long half-life. It is plausible that, although you couldn't feel it doing anything, it contributed towards stabilizing your nervous system, and going off it put you back into withdrawal.

When someone tries low-dose reinstatement and doesn't feel it doing anything, we might suggest an increase in dosage. This might have worked for you, but we didn't hear from you, so we didn't get a chance to suggest it.

If your symptoms have not reduced over the last 6 months, if I were you, I'd try a low dose of fluoxetine, perhaps 1mg to start. This topic explains how to take a small amount of fluoxetine Tips for tapering off Prozac (fluoxetine)

I am suggesting 1mg because we don't know how much you took last time. You may need more to address the symptoms you're feeling.

Sertraline is just another SSRI like fluoxetine, there's no magic to it, plus it's more difficult to go off than fluoxetine.

This time around, please let us know how you're doing. Be sure to keep daily notes on paper about your symptoms, when you take your drugs, and their dosages. Use a simple list format with time of day on the left and notation (symptom, drug and dosage) on the right.

@Altostrata

Yes, I had anxiety long before taking any antidepressant, I also had anxiety during taking them, including Prozac.

It was 0.5ml I was taking; I found it earlier on this thread.

If Fluoxetine has such a long life and spends so long in your system, now that I’m finally clean of it, do I really want to reintroduce it back into my system again albeit in a small amount? Wouldn’t that delay the whole withdrawals thing? I can’t help but feel the best option is to weather the storm, to ride this out.

I read about this guy who has stopped taking SSRI’s and after 3 years, he’s finally starting to feel normal again, after 3 years! Surely if he had started taking them again, that would have delayed the whole thing?

I mean, if I take 1mg and it doesn’t work, would you recommend a higher dose, if that doesn’t work would you recommend higher, and before I know it, I’m on a full dose again?

I’m not turning away any advice but please understand my reluctance to be dependent on these things again and being on them since I was a mid-teenager to now finally being free. I certainly don’t intend to be rude or insult anyone, I appreciate all advice given.

I could agree to take SSRI’s again if symptoms get worse?

P.S. Has anyone had any trouble with the reply section, about 3 times now I have been writing a reply on here, pressed something and lost most if not all of what I was typing, so now I type it out on Word and paste it on here.

Fingers crossed!

that';s why i'm still holding off taking more pills. i really don't want to 'waste't the time i've had going through withdrawal. i hope you can manage without going back on prozac xxx 

8 minutes ago, thecowisback said:

that';s why i'm still holding off taking more pills. i really don't want to 'waste't the time i've had going through withdrawal. i hope you can manage without going back on prozac xxx 

@thecowisback

Thank you I'll try. Good luck to both of us! 

Fingers crossed!

we can do it!!!!! 🤘

• Administrator

Anything that stabilizes your nervous system is a good thing. Reinstatement does not prolong the recovery phase, it's a support for your nervous system while it's adjusting. It's up to you whether you want to see If you can recover without reinstatement.

• 6 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Wugang, 

How are you doing?💚

Been on APs, benzos, ADs and opiates, for chronic pain. Had Akathisia in the past that made me suicidal. Still on Seroquel. 2019:➡️ March10=7.25mg ✔️ April17=7.0✔️ June5=6.75✔️ July14=6.50✔️ Aug28=6.25✔️ Oct10=6.20  ✔️ Oct21=6.0✔️ Dec16=5.80 ✔️ 2020➡️ Jan 21=5.60 ✔️ April2=5.40 ✔️ May29=5.20 ✔️ Aug14= 5.0 ✔️Sep29=4.80✔️2021➡️ Jan31=4.60 mg✔️ April24=4.40mg✔️Jul17=4.30mg ✔️ Aug 28=4.20 ✔️ Oct 11=4.15✔️Nov1=4.10 ✔️ Nov21= 4.05✔️ Dec13= 4mg ✔️2022 ➡️ Jan8=3.95✔️ Jan31=3.90✔️ March2=3.85 ✔️ April4=3.80 ✔️ June16=3.75✔️ July26=3.70✔️ Sep2=3.65✔️ Oct21=3.60 ✔️ Dec8=3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️ March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

• ChessieCat changed the title to WuGang: hello all

@Carmie Actually not too good. My wife and I have just had our first baby in January, she's got sick now, my dad's health is in a bad way and put together with a load of other worries and disturbed sleep I can't cope anymore. Seeing the doctor in 2 weeks to discuss going back on antidepressants...

Fingers crossed!

• Moderator Emeritus
On 8/10/2018 at 8:49 PM, WuGang said:

I have diazepam for really big things

Q:  Are you taking diazepam.  How often and at what dose?

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Administrator

WuGang, do you still have withdrawal syndrome? What is your current symptom pattern?

• Moderator Emeritus
17 hours ago, WuGang said:

@Carmie Actually not too good. My wife and I have just had our first baby in January, she's got sick now, my dad's health is in a bad way and put together with a load of other worries and disturbed sleep I can't cope anymore. Seeing the doctor in 2 weeks to discuss going back on antidepressants...

Hi WuGang, 

I’m so sorry you’re going through such a hard time. I’m sorry you’ve got so many stresses in your life too, congratulations on the birth of your baby though. Who is sick now? Your wife or your baby? 

You said that antidepressants never helped with your anxiety in the past. I’m just curious why you want to go on them again. 

Could you please answer Chessiecat and Alto’s questions. Thanks 💚

Been on APs, benzos, ADs and opiates, for chronic pain. Had Akathisia in the past that made me suicidal. Still on Seroquel. 2019:➡️ March10=7.25mg ✔️ April17=7.0✔️ June5=6.75✔️ July14=6.50✔️ Aug28=6.25✔️ Oct10=6.20  ✔️ Oct21=6.0✔️ Dec16=5.80 ✔️ 2020➡️ Jan 21=5.60 ✔️ April2=5.40 ✔️ May29=5.20 ✔️ Aug14= 5.0 ✔️Sep29=4.80✔️2021➡️ Jan31=4.60 mg✔️ April24=4.40mg✔️Jul17=4.30mg ✔️ Aug 28=4.20 ✔️ Oct 11=4.15✔️Nov1=4.10 ✔️ Nov21= 4.05✔️ Dec13= 4mg ✔️2022 ➡️ Jan8=3.95✔️ Jan31=3.90✔️ March2=3.85 ✔️ April4=3.80 ✔️ June16=3.75✔️ July26=3.70✔️ Sep2=3.65✔️ Oct21=3.60 ✔️ Dec8=3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️ March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

@ChessieCat Hello,

I don't take Diazepam that often, only for really big events to help calm my anxiety. 

Fingers crossed!

@Altostrata Hello

I still have terrible brain fog and don't feel right within myself mentally, my brain feels a lot slower and difficulty understanding things. It's been over a year so I'm thinking that might now be permanent. Unless it improves when I'm back on the fluoxetine. 

Fingers crossed!

@Carmie Hello,

Thank you.

My wife is unfortunately sick.

The antidepressants didn't help the anxiety, but they did help the depression, which is what I need them for as with all the stress of everything, I've sunken right back down again. 

Fingers crossed!

• Administrator

It can take a long time to fully recover.

A lot of people find fish oil and magnesium supplements helpful, see
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/
http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

Try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you.

• Moderator Emeritus

I’m sorry your wife is sick WuGang, I hope she feels better soon. 

It can take quite a long time to recover once off meds, especially if you’ve gone off them quickly, like you did. You are probably still getting withdrawals. People can have withdrawals for years, especially after abruptly going off meds. Our brains have a marvellous capacity to heal though, but it can take a while. Just remember that each day is a day closer to healing. 

Try taking some magnesium or fish oil and see if that helps a little. Just check the links above. A few people can’t tolerate these supplements, but a lot of people have found they have really helped. Just start with one on a low dose and work your way up, and then try the other one. 

Wishing you all the best on your continued recovery.💚

@Carmie

Hopefully things will improve when I go back onto Fluoxetine. 

Fingers crossed!

i hope you get some relief soon x i ended up reinstating prozac even though i was adamant i would never do that. 

• Moderator Emeritus

9 hours ago, WuGang said:

@Carmie

Hopefully things will improve when I go back onto Fluoxetine. 

Hi WuGang, 

You probably already know this, but reinstating this far out might not work. You’ve tried reinstating in the past, and gave up on it. It can take a long time to stabilise after reinstatement, it’s taken some people a couple of years, as you know.

This journey is certainly a journey of patience, but our brains are healing a little more each day. Our brains really do have a marvellous capacity to heal, it just takes a long time. 

I’m sorry you are still going through withdrawals, but stopping and starting meds all the time can sensitise our symptoms even more. Off course, it’s up to you what you do, I hope you don’t have more problems going back on your meds. Your system is sensitised already by you going off your meds quickly in the past. You already know only to reinstate low doses. Please be careful, or you could cause yourself more problems. When we are in a panic or struggling sometimes we can do things that cause more harm than good.

I hope your wife starts feeling a bit better soon, Sending hugs🤗

• 1 month later...

how are you now wugang?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Wugang, 

I’m wondering how you’re doing too. Did you end up reinstating? 

I hope your wife is feeling better. 

Sending hugs🤗