tezza: risperdal withdrawal

tezza

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Tezza, glad you are finding some relief from the tinnitus, it's not something I've suffered with for any length of time 

but can imagine it must be distressing. Good that you are sleeping better too, Hope the window stays open for you  :)

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Moderator Emeritus

I had awful tinnitus during  the first few months of withdrawal and then it gradually faded away. I don't remember exactly when it stopped or how, but you may be experiencing a windows-and-waves sort of thing with it as it gradually lessens.  I hope so. That was one of the very worst withdrawal symptoms I had, that high-pitched squealing sound from very early morning until early afternoon.

So glad to see that you can sleep!  That's when overall healing began for me.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you, Jemima, for posting. I had a horrible night, seems to always happen if I post about it being good. It was hard to fall asleep and I usually don't have that problem.

I feel awful, today but it will pass.

Yes, tinnitus is AWFUL! I really pray it stops, it makes me feel disconnected, somehow.

I feel awful, today but it will pass. 

It surely will.

Hang in there Tezza.

4 years aprox. on 150mgs.Effexor for situational major depression.No AD before.
Tapered 150-0mgs in 3 months.

Tapered Quetiapine,Xanax in the last 18 months.NO med of any kind anymore.
First 3 months off acute w/d
Protracted w/d ever since.
Symptoms:Anxiety,anhedonia,insomnia,tinnitus,PSSD

04/13/2014 Awful Relapse.Recovered fairly fast.

3 years and 4 months off.

waves and windows.Very much recovered.

November 2015,health issue.Setback.

• 2 weeks later...

Tezza,

You seem to be doing quite well as far as withdrawal and mood. Do I recall correctly that you had an injury and chronic pain, also? How are you doing with that? I'm in a terrible flair (neck) and back in full treatment with hydrocodone, chiro, acupuncture and nothing is working.

Hugs.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Barb, thanks for dropping in! I'm sorry you're in so much pain! I, too, am having a lot of aches and pains. I suppose it's arthritis or one of its relatives. Ever since we had the first, cold rain about three weeks ago, the pain has been bad.

I remember you saying it was raining a lot there, did that seem to aggravate the pain for you?

I am doing so much better, mood wise. Have you ever tried the Salonpas patches, they help a little.

Hugs

Tezza my mother was always able to tell when the weather was going to turn cold or rain...because her arthritis pain would flair up.  Could that affect the tinnitus as well? 

You are down to only 1mg. of remeron....that is wonderful

Hugs

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm sorry you are in pain Tezza, hope it gets better soon, weather changes always set off my arthritis.

I've heard of salonpas but not tried them, are there many side effects? I like the sound of them but

they are quite new here so don't know anyone who has tried them. 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Moderator Emeritus

Tezza my mother was always able to tell when the weather was going to turn cold or rain...because her arthritis pain would flair up.  Could that affect the tinnitus as well?  You are down to only 1mg. of remeron....that is wonderful Hugs

Thank you Nikki, I'm glad to be down to that on the Remeron. I guess the real test for this one lies here on . I've been close to tinnitus free since my last cut of Remeron on the 24th. Tinnitus came back today so I will reduce again, tonight. I do hurt more when it rains but it didn't stop this time when the weather cleared. Right now, my right hand is about to be un usable. Then, when I use the left to do everything, it gets swollen and inflamed and by then, the right hand is getting better so it goes back and forth between the two sides.It happens in the shoulders, too and the spine always hurts. It's strange how we can tell sometimes when a front is moving in.
  • Moderator Emeritus

I'm sorry you are in pain Tezza, hope it gets better soon, weather changes always set off my arthritis. I've heard of salonpas but not tried them, are there many side effects? I like the sound of them butthey are quite new here so don't know anyone who has tried them.

I've never had any side effects at all from the Salonpas. The active ingredients are Camphor 1.2%....Menthol 5.7%........and Methyl Salicylate 6.3% . They've been available here for a few years and I once told my GP about them, he said another patient told him they were good, too. They don't relieve ALL my pain but they help.Thank you for your well wishes!

I like Salon Pas also. I often have so many on my neck that it looks like a cervical collar.

The weather does seem to be a factor and this recent change has been bad. The pain effects my mood and outlook very badly and triggers a lot of fear because it's been disabling for many years. I wondered if you have similar reaction.

Thanks for your feedback, Tezza.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• Moderator Emeritus

Sometimes, I look like I'm being held together by those patches! I've hurt for so long, now, that it doesn't affect my mood much other than making me irritable with DH if he picks at me for moving slow and stiff.

The recent change in the weather has had a big impact on pain for me, too. I'm used to the normal back pain that I know will only get worse but when my hands and arms and legs hurt too, I start complaining. It's worse in the cold season for me.

I hope you feel better soon, Barb!

Teeza, I am glad for you!

You are on your way to recovery...it gives me hope.

Hugs, A.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Tezza, I think I'll give those patches a try. Could make a jacket out of them   ;)

2002  effexor. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Great news, Tezza!  You're definitely on the road back!

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you, Jemima, I sure hope the wind doesn't change directions.

Well, I've had my first creative spark! Couple of weeks back, DH lost his cell at work (on a Univ. Campus) and we had to go buy another.

While walking down the center isle, I noticed they had those weaving loom kits to make pot holders on display and 'it hit me'. We went on and got his phone and left the store.

I kept thinking about that kit so a few days ago we went back. DH had to go to the restroom and I went to find the kit. Of course, it wasn't still on display (I swear Walmart has a special crew that only MOVES stuff around at night) so I asked the young lady in the fabric dept. She said, "for kids?" Like I was much too old for that! I said, "yea, it COULD be for kids". She motions and says, "Next isle over".

So I got the kit and an extra box of loops. I think I was pretty young when I made these but the box says for "Ages 5+". When, I tried to finish the edge according to the instructions, I thought that would be difficult for a five year old, there is absolutely NOTHING electronic, it's all manual labor.

I got the hang of it but my hands were, somewhat, crippled for a couple of days. This is nothing compared to all the things I once loved to do but, hey, it's a start! It's the first time I've had any real urge to be creative since early 2011! Next, I may go to Hobby Lobby and get a crochet, afghan kit. That's how I learned to crochet when I was young. Maybe it wouldn't be so hard on the arthritis.

Tinnitus is a bit louder today, same way it happened last time I only dropped .1mg. I'll drop to .8 tonight and continue dropping by .2 if all goes well. It's been best when I drop .2 and hold until the tinnitus comes back.

Jemima, I'm so glad to know the tinnitus went away for you, thank you for sharing that because I had feared it would stay forever.

Hugs and love to all!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Well, I'm down to .2mg of Remeron for the past two nights, so far, so good. No tinnitus yesterday and today....very thankful for that.

I'm feeling more like my 'ol self'....again, very grateful.

Now, to get off the rest....sigh....however long, I am determined. I might could go faster on the Risperdal but I'm scared to. I was SICK A LONG TIME from ONLY TWO WEEKS OFF, THEN TAPERING TOO SOON AND TOO MUCH. I never want to be sick like that again.

It's like falling off a cliff before...now, I won't go anywhere near the edge for fear of falling off again! I hope I don't go there by accident, it's scary getting low.

When I'm off the Remeron (soon), I can concentrate on the last .1mg of Risperdal. Maybe next year by this time I can write my success story.

• Moderator Emeritus

That's great Tezza, Know what you mean about being scared. It is frightening thinking

about being back in that position again! I'm sure you'll be fine, you have knowledge

you didn't have before and will know what to watch for. 

I've just dropped 1 bead tonight, down to 2 now and a bit apprehensive too! 

2002  effexor. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Update: December 21 was the last dose of Remeron. Tinnitus has been less frequent and lower volume but not completely gone.

I'm doing pretty good, not as much motivation as was for a while but it comes and goes.

Now...here I come, Risperidone, and there you go!

You go, Girl! Very inspiring!

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

Yay!

Just read all 27 pages of your story tezza.

I just want to thank you for all the hope I got from it.

08 Cipralex 10mg for about 6 months. 11-12 Cipralex 20mg. Unsuccesful WD. 12-13 Zoloft 100mg with Diazepam 10-20mg as needed for anxiety.
Fall 13 Tapering Zoloft 100->50->25->12,5->0 in 2,5 months and CT Diazepam. 12/24/13 RI Zoloft 12,5mg

1/21/14 11mg

3/18/14 9,9mg

2/18/14 8mg

4/22/14 7,6mg

5/5/14 7,2mg

5/12/14 -> cutting 0,5mg per week, holding when necessary.

8/18/14 -> cutting 0,25mg per week holding when necessary.

10/20/2014 -> cutting 0,1mg per week, holding when necessary.
12/28/2014 Jump!

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks you guys!

Moodyblues, I'm grateful that my story has given you hope! As you can see, I was one SICK puppy for A LONG time. Only from leaving a med off for two weeks and reinstating. There IS HOPE!

Hugs and healing!!!

• Moderator Emeritus

Congratulations Tezza,well done, you've given me hope for getting off that last teeny tiny bead!  :D

2002  effexor. 

• Administrator

Congratulations, Tezza!  I'm so happy for you.  You've come a long, long way.  Look at all the drugs you've discontinued! 

We can see through your writing that you are getting stronger and stronger.  I'm just so excited for you I could do cartwheels :D .

2007 @ 375 mg Effexor - 11/29/2011 - 43.75 mg Effexor (regular) & .625 mg Xanax

200 mg Gabapentin 2/27/21 - 194.5 mg, 5/28/21 - 183 mg, 8/2/21 - 170 mg, 11/28/21 - 150 mg, 4/19/22 - 122 mg; 8//7/22 - 100 mg; 12/17 - 75mg; 8/17 - 45 mg; 10/16 40 mg
Xanax taper: 3/11/12 - 0.9375 mg, 3/25/12 - 0.875 mg, 4/6/12 - 0.8125 mg, 4/18/12 - 0.75 ; 10/16 40mg;

1/16 0.6875 mg; at some point 0.625 mg
Effexor taper: 1/29/12 - 40.625 mg, 4/29/12 - 39.875 mg, 5/11/12 - Switched to liquid Effexor, 5/25/12 - 38 mg, 7/6/12 - 35 mg, 8/17/12 - 32 mg, 9/14/12 - 30 mg, 10/19/12 - 28 mg, 11/9/12 - 26 mg, 11/30/12 - 24 mg, 01/14/13 - 22 mg. 02/25/13 - 20.8 mg, 03/18/13 - 19.2 mg, 4/15/13 - 17.6 mg, 8/10/13 - 16.4 mg, 9/7/13 - 15.2 mg, 10/19/13 - 14 mg, 1/15/14 - 13.2 mg, 3/1/2014 - 12.6 mg, 5/4/14 - 12 mg, 8/1/14 - 11.4 mg, 8/29/14 - 10.8 mg; 10/14/14 - 10.2 mg; 12/15/14 - 10 mg, 1/11/15 - 9.5 mg, 2/8/15 - 9 mg, 3/21/15 - 8.5 mg, 5/1/15 - 8 mg, 6/9/15 - 7.5 mg, 7/8/15 - 7 mg, 8/22/15 - 6.5 mg, 10/4/15 - 6 mg; 1/1/16 - 5.6 mg; 2/6/16 - 5.2 mg; 4/9 - 4.8 mg; 7/7 4.5 mg; 10/7 4.25 mg; 11/4 4.0 mg; 11/25 3.8 mg; 4/24 3.6 mg; 5/27 3.4 mg; 7/8 3.2 mg ... 10/18 2.8 mg; 1/18 2.6 mg; 4/7 2.4 mg; 5/26 2.15mg; 8/18 1.85 mg; 10/7 1.7 mg; 12/1 1.45 mg; 3/2 1.2 mg; 5/4 0.90 mg; 6/1 0.80 mg; 6/22 0.65 mg; 08/03 0.50 mg, 08/10 0.45 mg, 10/05 0.325 mg, 11/23 0.2 mg, 12/14 0.15 mg, 12/21 0.125 mg, 02/28 0.03125 mg, 2/15 0.015625 mg, 2/29/20 0.00 mg - OFF Effexor

I am not a medical professional - this is not medical advice. My suggestions are based on personal experience, reading, observation and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers

• Administrator

Amazing! Cartwheels here too!

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Congratulations my dear Tezza!

Hugs, A.