• Moderator Emeritus

Hey K - 

I woke up this morning with a headache, and I thought of you.

At some point, our relationship will develop and I won't think of you when I'm in pain, but will instead think of you with delight.

But today - it was a headache.

Then, the next thought to come was the words:  "Headache.  I must be dehydrated."

Now, I know that you have had migraines, and those are quite serious, but when we get drugged, we tend to forget about the simple things, like drinking plenty of fresh, clean water.  And here's the miraculous thing - it's risk free!  Drinking more water can only help.  Only extremely rarely can it cause harm (and I don't think you plan to drink that much water!)

Also - I don't think I've acknowledged what you've been through.  You might enjoy going on Mad In America, where there are a lot of other survivors of extreme psych treatment.  They have a forum, but it's more a good place for getting the anger out, and listening and talking with others who have been abused by the psychiatric system.

I was listening to Peter Breggin the other night, and thought of you.  Now Uncle Peter is a kindly, gentle soul - but his words are often harsh truths, delivered with kindness.  This discussion talked about how neurologists depend upon referrals from psychiatrists for their bread-and-butter.  And that a neurologist is never likely to contradict the drugging behaviour of a psychiatrist.  But you can try, and it would be good to eliminate the possibility of any lasting damage.

But here's the thing - once you get off the drugs, much of the damage can be reworked - it's called neuroplasticity.  Norman Doidge, "The Brain that Changes Itself" is a very encouraging read.  I'll tell a personal story - my husband had a stroke, and now has a golf-ball sized hole in his brain.  He didn't lose any physical capacity - he lost words.   He could walk and dig the garden and play guitar - but he couldn't tell you what he had just done, or what he wanted, or how he feels (he still struggles with that one, much to my dismay).  With 6 weeks of intensive rehab (3 weeks inpatient, 3 weeks outpatient) - he got his words back, and was able to go back to work where he needed to talk on the phone, create reports, respond to software emergencies, and a number of other verbal tasks.  The brain is an amazing thing, and while he still has this huge hole over the Broca's area, he is 95% recovered.  All the outsiders believe he is fully recovered.

On 31/12/2017 at 12:18 PM, Kristine said:

28 days' (alcohol rehab comedy)... I thought wouldn't it be great to have that kind of support coming off these drugs!

I had an epiphany to "28 days."  It was unbelievable.  Sandra Bullock has no idea what she created with this one!

As I watched her life unravel in the movie, leaving wreckage and destruction in her wake - and I saw her attitude of "whatever, I just want to do what I want to do,"

I came to the realisation that my own selfish behaviour had left a similar form of wreckage.  I felt all the friends I lost in my 1995 "manic episode," I felt the cruelty, disregard and disrespect I had shown my mother.  The pressure and harshness I had brought to my own failed marriage.    Cheating, lying, stealing - all to fuel this selfish "I am the centre of the universe and nothing else matters" attitude.  This movie brought to me all of the wreckage and destruction I had created in my own life.  I cried for days after that movie.

(I know, that was not what the movie makers intended, but that's how it happened for me!)

I talked to my best friend about it - and I felt very strongly the "Make Amends" step.  I wanted - I needed - to go to all the people I had hurt, and make amends as best as possible.

My best friend, a doctor, said at the time was this:  "The difference between you and her - she was an alcoholic.  An alcoholic has choices.  An alcoholic makes a choice every time they drink.  A bipolar does not choose this."  That was back when I was still embedded in my diagnosis - or it was embedded in me.  While I accepted what she said - it still rang true that I was responsible for my choices and behaviour, and that much of what had been diagnosed as "bipolar," was a failure or inability to take responsibility for my moods, my behaviours, my choices.

And I seek to make amends as soon as I figure it out.

Now I am learning a Jewish word, "Tikkun."  That is correction.  "28 Days" was a huge correction for me, like a slap in the face (or worse).  But like any Art - you take it from correction by the Master, to self-correction.  For the first few years, it's fine to be told in karate that my stance needs correcting - but at some point I need to learn to do it myself.  Correct my own stance.  It is the same with life.  If I catch myself disrespecting another human being - I can apologize after - but isn't it so much better to catch it before it happens?  Tikkun.  (in my goyish understanding of it)

I've made it through page 4 of your thread!  

Closing in!  

I hope you see the sun today!

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Kristine!

Today I'm reading about your pain.  Oh boy.  That's been one of my bug-bears since I became an adult.  This past year, I found improvement - only 6 months of the year was spent in unrelenting tendon pain.  I have an endocrine condition - post drug, post surgery (so yours will probably improve and GO AWAY, unlike mine), and what you are describing sounds a lot like my tendon pain.

I see you've been recommended the mag baths.  Since you're Aussie, you might be happy to know about Blant's, a wholesale-to-the-public bulk magnesium supplier.  I buy big dog-food sized bags of the stuff, it's so much cheaper that way!  They were founded to help supply for autistic children - but have a great range of Epsom Salts, Mag Chloride, Dead Sea Salts, Borax (helps neutralize fluoride), as well as green soaps.

Not yet - but - there are other things I take to help pain.  Fish oil.  That's how I got started on it.  If you have something structural (such as "slipped discs" or arthritis or bad knees) then glucosamine/chondroitin is a good supplement (not to be taken by diabetics).  I take turmeric all day, every day, and put it in my food and smoothies, too.  And when I have flare-ups, I take tart cherry.  It seems to help.  BUT - these are supplements, and you are still in a destabilised state - so - if you do decide to try them (I'd start with the turmeric), please do so very carefully.  You can start the turmeric just as a spice - put it on your fish, in your cassaroles, on your eggs - anywhere you can - and see if you can tolerate it.

When I hurt too much to do yoga (just a few short years ago) I go back to tai chi and chi gung.  Very gentle!  

Try this, to see if you can do it:

(and if you want to post a video, just use the "Share" link on YouTube.)

And if you cannot move your body - you can always breathe:    Breathing for Well Being  

Your list of symptoms here sound a lot like dysautonomia.  Dysregulation of the autonomic nervous system.  It's part of the regulating process, and it's hellacious to go through because you never get used to any one symptom.  You know, when you have a sinus infection, you can recognize it because you've had it before?  Well - with dysauthonomia, it's all over the place.  Hot, cold, anxious, pain, nausea - anything along the vagus nerve is fair game.  Dysautonomia / Autonomic Dysregulation

Vagus nerve:

vagus-nerve.jpg

On 05/01/2018 at 11:36 AM, Kristine said:

the only other change that might have some significance is my increased sugar intake.  I usually don't eat much sugar at all but there have been multiple sweet treats available due to Christmas.  Eg. Mince Pies, chocolate, shortbread.  Staying clear of it now.

You might also consider wheat.  Yes, sugar is a direct drug, but wheat is often inflammatory.  I was reading again today about the role of gluten in schizoprhenia and autism - and possibly ADHD, too.  Dairy, too, can be inflammatory.  With your severe joint/tendon/whatever-it-is pain, you might want to reduce inflammatory foods.

I don't think the Vegemite could cause an issue - what they call "high in B vitamins" is not as much as a supplement.  I'm more suspicious of the toast that you put the Vegemite on.  But pay attention - you'll figure this out.

Most supplements in food form are safe - it's pretty rare to react to a spice or a vitamin in food.  It's more likely that you react to inflammatory types of food, not the vitamins in the food.

On 05/01/2018 at 3:58 PM, manymoretodays said:

Vegemite translation to American?  Any idea?

Nope.  Trust me on this.  I think the recipe happened when a bushranger fell asleep with his beer too close to the fire.  He woke up in the morning, and it had thickened to a black paste.  He tried it, liked it, and Vegemite was born!

(kudos to Sir Terry Pratchett, the origin of this story)

Though the English have a similar product, slightly less salty, called Marmite.

Thanks for sharing the old ad!  That happened before I moved to 'Straya, and it's always good to absorb Ancient Pop Culture!  ;)

I hope you see the sun today!

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

Hi JC,

7 hours ago, JanCarol said:

I woke up this morning with a headache, and I thought of you.

At some point, our relationship will develop and I won't think of you when I'm in pain, but will instead think of you with delight.

But today - it was a headache.

Then, the next thought to come was the words:  "Headache.  I must be dehydrated."

Now, I know that you have had migraines, and those are quite serious, but when we get drugged, we tend to forget about the simple things, like drinking plenty of fresh, clean water.  And here's the miraculous thing - it's risk free!  Drinking more water can only help.  Only extremely rarely can it cause harm (and I don't think you plan to drink that much water!)

Bugger 😞 You must have taken some of my pain away today because I only had a mild headache today!  Added to that, Another member Frogie and I were discussing headache causes and remedies and dehydration was mentioned. I have experienced migraines for over 5 years....they started after the first treatment (a prefer the word, torture) of ECT...coincidence? Doubt it!

Also - I don't think I've acknowledged what you've been through.  You might enjoy going on Mad In America, where there are a lot of other survivors of extreme psych treatment.  They have a forum, but it's more a good place for getting the anger out, and listening and talking with others who have been abused by the psychiatric system.

I'm a member of Mad in America and I get their newsletters.  I think it was on this site that I first heard of SA. I'm pretty sure it was a podcast...perhaps Johanna Moncrieff? Everything's a bit of a blur! 

But here's the thing - once you get off the drugs, much of the damage can be reworked - it's called neuroplasticity.  Norman Doidge, "The Brain that Changes Itself" is a very encouraging read.  I'll tell a personal story - my husband had a stroke, and now has a golf-ball sized hole in his brain.  He didn't lose any physical capacity - he lost words.   He could walk and dig the garden and play guitar - but he couldn't tell you what he had just done, or what he wanted, or how he feels (he still struggles with that one, much to my dismay).  With 6 weeks of intensive rehab (3 weeks inpatient, 3 weeks outpatient) - he got his words back, and was able to go back to work where he needed to talk on the phone, create reports, respond to software emergencies, and a number of other verbal tasks.  The brain is an amazing thing, and while he still has this huge hole over the Broca's area, he is 95% recovered.  All the outsiders believe he is fully recovered.

I have been believing that the ECT caused permanent brain damage but I've been rethinking this lately.  Your words, advice and sharing the experiences of your husband couldn't have come at a better time.  Your husband sounds like an amazing man....and your right, the brain is an amazing thing. So I am now thinking that I did suffer brain damage but it is not permanent. Besides I have a little bit of proof...in my journal over the time frames of ECT my handwriting was almost childlike and my written expression was a close match 😳 ...however I was on a cocktail of drugs as well.   Thank you for the book suggestion...I can't get enough of this kind of information!

4 hours ago, JanCarol said:

Your list of symptoms here sound a lot like dysautonomia.  Dysregulation of the autonomic nervous system.  It's part of the regulating process, and it's hellacious to go through because you never get used to any one symptom.  You know, when you have a sinus infection, you can recognize it because you've had it before?  Well - with dysauthonomia, it's all over the place.  Hot, cold, anxious, pain, nausea - anything along the vagus nerve is fair game.  Dysautonomia / Autonomic Dysregulation

It has a name! This makes so much sense. Slowly things are adding up and slotting into place....the more I understand the less scary this becomes. Knowledge is power 😉 Thank you JC

You might also consider wheat.  Yes, sugar is a direct drug, but wheat is often inflammatory.  I was reading again today about the role of gluten in schizoprhenia and autism - and possibly ADHD, too.  Dairy, too, can be inflammatory.  With your severe joint/tendon/whatever-it-is pain, you might want to reduce inflammatory foods.

Oh dear...I've been ignoring this one because I'm not sure I have the head space to eliminate bread/pasta/baked goods....and then dairy 😳 This would be easier for me to cut out at the moment.  But I need to change something! 

On 05/01/2018 at 4:58 PM, manymoretodays said:

Vegemite translation to American?  Any idea?

Nope.  Trust me on this.  I think the recipe happened when a bushranger fell asleep with his beer too close to the fire.  He woke up in the morning, and it had thickened to a black paste.  He tried it, liked it, and Vegemite was born!

(kudos to Sir Terry Pratchett, the origin of this story)

Though the English have a similar product, slightly less salty, called Marmite.

Thanks for sharing the old ad!  That happened before I moved to 'Straya, and it's always good to absorb Ancient Pop Culture!  ;)

😂 I haven't heard that story! Have I been living under a rock?!?!? Well....maybe I have 🙄

And thank you you for the QI gong clip....I'm going to try it tomorrow morning...maybe on the deck, to entertain the neighbours!

Over and out from Tassie,

• Citalopram 20mg - 40mg ~ approx 2010 - October 2015 (stopped over one week)
  • Parnate  20mg - 50mg and olazapine 5mg ~ Jan 2016 - May 2016 (ceased over 2 days) 
  • Lithium 450mg-900 mg and Thyroxin ~May 2016 - May 2017
  • Diazepam various doses (including PRN) ~ 2015 - 2017
  • Oxazepam various doses (including PRN) ~ May 2016 - June 2016
  • Lurasidone 20mg ~Mid May 2016 - Mid June 2016
  • Vortioxetine 10mg - 20mg ~ 6th June 2016 - 20th July 2016 (abruptly ceased)
  • Amitriptyline 200mg ~July 2016 - September 2016 (ceased over 1 week)
  • Nortriptyline  (dose ?) ~October 2016 ~ November 2016 (abruptly ceased)
  • Seroquel XR 100mg - 300mg ~ May 2016 - August 2017 (ceased over 3 weeks)
  • Escitalopram 10mg - 30mg ~ August 2016 - March 2017 (ceased over 2 weeks)
  • Bupropion 300mg ~ December 2016 - May 2017 (ceased over 1 week)
  • Clonazepam 1.5mg daily ~ July 2016 (started tapering May 2017 - September 2017 currently on 0.375mg..ie 0.125mg TDS) 27th May 2018 5% 0.357mg (possible paradoxical reaction - see benzo thread)  28th June 5% 0.337mg, 28th July 10% 0.303mg, 12th September10% 0.272mg, 18th September reinstated 10% due to intolerable WD 0.303mg, 1st October-11th Oct 10% (1% reduction over 10 days) 0.272mg, 22nd October clonazepam ceased crossed over 10mg diazepam
  •  Dexamphatamine 20mg ~ December 2016 (started tapering October 2017 - tapered 1.25mg 4th Dec 2017, 1.25mg 19th Dec 2017 6.25mg, Speed up decrease due to major interaction between Dex and fluoxetine- ref to thread 10% 17th Feb 2018 5.63mg, 10% 21st Feb 2018 5.1mg, 10% 26th Feb 2018 4.5mg 10% 28th Feb 4.1mg, 10% 1st March 3.7mg, 10% 5th March 3.3mg, 10% 8th March 3mg, 10% 10th March 2.7mg, 10% 12th March 2.4mg, 10% 14th March 2.16mg, 10% 16th March 1.94mg, 10% 18th March 1.74mg, 10% 20th March 1.57mg, 10% 21st March 1.41mg, 10% 22nd March 1.26mg, 10% 23rd March 1.13mg, 10% 24th March 1.01mg, 10% 25th March 0.9mg, 10% 27th March 0.81mg, 10% 29th March 0.73mg, 10% 31st March 0.66mg, 10% 2nd April 0.59mg , 10% 4th April 0.53mg, 10% 6th April 0.47mg, 10% 8th April 0.42mg, 10%10th April 0.37mg, 11th April 0.2mg, 12th April 0.1mg (last dose) OFF! 
  • Fluoxetine 40mg ~December 2016 - 31 Jan 2018 reduced to 20mg (probable serotonin toxicity) 10th March 2020 10mg (1:1 ratio), 7th April 9mg, 1st May 8.5mg, 15th May 8.0mg, 27th May 7.5mg, 8th Sept 7.2mg, 2nd Oct 7mg, 19th Oct 6.8mg, 28th Oct 6.6mg, 5th Nov 6.4mg, 26th Nov 6mg, 2nd April 2021 5.9mg, 9th April 5.8mg, 19th April 5.75mg, 22nd April 5.7mg, 26th April 5.65mg,28th April 5.6mg, 1st May 5.5mg, 4th May 5.45mg, 7th May 5.4mg, 10th May 5.35mg, 12th May 5.3mg, 15th May 5.25mg, 18th May 5.2mg, 20th May 5.15mg, 22nd May 5mg, 10th July 4.5mg, 9th Aug 4.48mg (switched from syringe to pipette method), 12th Aug 4.46mg, 14th Aug 4.4mg, 18th Aug 4.38mg, 19th Aug 4.36mg, 20th Aug 4.34, 21st 4.32mg, 22nd 4.3mg, 23rd Aug 4mg (hold), (micro-taper) 12th Oct 2021 3.98mg, 14th Oct 3.96mg, 15th Oct 3.94mg, 16th Oct 3.92mg, 17th Oct 3.9mg, 18th Oct 3.88mg, 19th Oct 3.86mg, 21st Oct 3.84mg, 22nd Oct 3.82mg, 23rd Oct 3.8mg, 24th Oct 3.78mg, 25th Oct 3.76mg, 26th Oct 3.74mg, 27th Oct 3.72mg, (WD reached intolerable level, reinstated 0.06mg) 28th Oct 3.8mg, 7th March 2022 3.7mg, 21st March 3.6mg, 4th April 3.5mg, 18th April 3.4mg, 2nd May 3.3mg, 16th May 3.2mg, 20th June 3.1mg, 4th July 3mg, 18th July 2.9mg, 12th September 2.7mg, 18th October 2.5mg, 14th Nov 2.3mg, 12th December 2.1mg, 18th January 2023 1.9mg, 9th July 2023 1.88mg, 16th July 1.86mg, 23rd July 1.84mg, 30th July 1.82mg, 6th Aug 1.80mg, 10th Sept 1.7mg, 12th Oct 1.68mg, 23rd Oct 1.66mg, 30th Oct 1.64mg, 6th Nov 1.62mg, 13th Nov 1.60mg, (2:1 ratio) 30th Dec 1.597mg, 7th Jan 2024 1.595mg, 8th 1.592mg,  10th 1.589, 11th 1.587, 12th 1.585, 13th 1.583, 14th 1.58 cont… 5th Feb 1.56mg, 11th Feb 1.55mg, 19th Feb 1.54mg, 26th Feb 1.53mg, 4th March 1.52mg, 11th March 1.51mg, 25th March 1.50mg, 1st April 1.49mg, 8th April 1.48mg, 15th April 1.47mg, 22nd April 1.46mg, 29th April 1.45mg
  • Diazepam 10mg ~ 22nd Oct 2018, 10th November 8mg, 14th Nov 7mg, 8th December 6mg, 30th December 5mg (Nocte), 7th March 2019 4.5mg,14th March 4mg, 5th April 3.5mg, 9th April 3mg, 18th April 2.5mg,1st May 2mg, 17th May 1.75mg, 25th May 1.6mg, 4th June 1.59mg, 5th June 1.58mg, 6th June 1.57mg, 7th June 1.56mg, 8th June 1.55mg, 22nd June 1.4mg, 4th July 1.2mg, 16th July 1mg, 30th July 0.8mg, 13th Aug 0.6mg, 28th Aug 0.4mg, 10th Sept 0.2mg, 23rd Sept Off! 
  • SR Circadin 2mg (melatonin) 25th May - 20th June 
  • Zolpidem 10mg 25th May (7 tablets)
  • Supplements: Magnesium glycinate (soluble - sip throughout the day) 

"Whenever you feel yourself doubting how far you can go,  just remember how far you have come.  Remember everything you have faced, all the battles you have won, and all the fears you have overcome"    Unknown 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey K - 

On 06/01/2018 at 11:01 AM, Kristine said:

To be honest I'm a little overwhelmed

Sorry about that.  I latched onto your writing style like a dog with a bone....

And for your other readers - Tassie is like Heaven on Earth.  I only say that about a few other places.  Western Wyoming.  Southeast Kentucky.  New Zealand.  Tasmania.  I can't pick a favourite, they are all Heaven on Earth.  Tasmania - I've been once - is pristine where it is untouched, rugged.  The food there (like New Zealand) is fresh and awesome goodness.  Lots of organic, cottage farms.  Frightening history - helps keep it remote.  It's the ends of the Earth, folks, but golly it's beautiful!

On 06/01/2018 at 1:50 PM, JS11 said:

Yes, I think to Chinese.  Had some recently which I thought was MSG free but got a headache right after

Okay, here's the tricky one.  MSG can be made into several different chemical cocktails that are not MSG.

Confused?  These are available in MSG free foods - but are still MSG.  I'm not a chemist, so I don't know how you can change a molecule and it be the same, but that's what I'm told.  Ah - I get it, these are foods with high "free glutamates" - like monopotassium glutamate, glutamic acid, glutamate, vegetable protein extract, gelatin, hydrolyzed vegetable protein, Accent, hydrolyzed plant protein, sodium  caseinate, calcium caseinate, disodium guanylate, disodium inosinate, senomyx, textured protein, yeast extract and autolyzed yeast.  So - when they advertise "MSG Free" they might have added one of these other flavour enhancers, instead.

On 06/01/2018 at 1:50 PM, JS11 said:

Oh, I also know the song about the "Big white boomers, snow white boomers,"  Well, that is all I can remember, about the kangaroos who pull Santas sleigh.  So like that stuff.  I assume that is for all of Australia rather than just parts. 

It's funny.  I remember before I ever went to school.,  My first "record player," it had 33 & 45 settings.  One of my very first 33's was "Tie Me Kangaroo Down Sport" in all its gruesome glory.

For an American child to grow up with that being one of the first songs that she learned - and then land in Australia.  Well - life is amazing, isn't it?

On 08/01/2018 at 7:43 AM, Kristine said:

Yesterday my mood was very low but the anxiety had decreased.  Always seems to be a trade off...a balancing of the scales.  The one symptom that has never decreased in severity is the fatigue...that's a constant.

"Balancing the Scales" is an excellent way to think about it.  Because that's what your body is trying to do.  There are about a thousand pendulums, all of them trying to come into synchronisation, all of them trying to find their balance.  And while they are balancing - it feels all screwed up.

Fatigue has been lifelong for me.  It's what got me medicated, time and again.  I couldn't get off the floor.  And of course, we didn't know then that the drugs aggravate fatigue!

You know about counting spoons?  This comes from a chronic illness forum for those of us who look normal, but who struggle.  (and I believe that a lot of CFS/ME and fibromyalgia is induced by these psych drugs and a few other drugs like statins, stomach drugs, etc.)

The Spoon Theory by Christine

We only have so many spoons in a day, and we need to make sure those spoons are the important ones.

And oh yes - nausea.  I spent a lot of energy on Frogie's nausea.  I know she has a long thread, but for a few months we were throwing all kinds of home remedies at her. 

Some of those remedies will be found here, also:  http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/16067-digestive-problems-nausea-diarrhea-bloating-gerd/

13 hours ago, wantrelief said:

I am a fellow nurse as well - well, ex-nurse

OMG.  I am not a nurse but I know more nurses and ex-nurses in here!  There are at least 1/2 dozen of them I can think of.

And I think it's not that y'all are stupid for trusting psychiatry - it's that psychiatry is so evil.  The devil loves it when you don't believe in him!  "We want to help you," and you are in distress so - you know people who claim "the drugs worked for me," and so you submit.  "It's the right thing to do."

After all, if you had a heart attack, you would submit to the cardiologist, right?  So when you have a "brain attack," you trust the psychiatrist, right?

It's probably harder for nurses to resist this flow, this trust.  They see people's lives saved all the time by brilliant surgeons and emergency room doctors.  Why would psychiatrists be any different?

(just for your information, I'm afraid I've come out the other side with a huge mistrust of the whole medical industry, especially pharmaceuticals, but surgeons too.  Oh yes, they are skilled - but how many unnecessary surgeries are performed?  Did I really need to lose my thyroid?  I'm having this debate right now about - egads - cardiologists.  How much do I listen?  How much do I heed?  They want me on BP drugs, but I don't have high BP, just an arrhythmia from cortisol spikes....I refuse their drugs, for now. And don't get me started about the corruption of medical "studies....)

13 hours ago, Kristine said:

Maybe push for a withdrawal facility for people coming off psychotropic medications!

YES!  The first medication free ward has been established in Norway.  It's a small unit (6 beds) for people who want to go through their crises without drugs - or - for people who want to taper off.

I read "Anatomy of an Epidemic" when it came out.  I thought that by now - years later - there would be more recognition of withdrawal.  I've seen small signs - but then - I also seem to be surrounded by drugged people.  Everybody's got their "cope with a sick world" pill.  And I can talk till I'm red in the face, but nobody believes me about slow tapering, either.  "She'll be right, mate," and my fears get ignored.  

Safe space for people in crisis sounds brilliant.  One of the other mods, KarenB, talked about a special facility in New Zealand for Mum's to have a "de-stress" for a week.  Even something like that would be amazing.  A place to go where we know it's safe to talk about hard stuff without getting drugged for having feelings, emotions, trauma and stress.

Kristine:

JanCarol is awesome!

She has/and still does help me tremendously.

She is very knowledgeable and will help you a lot.

I love her and she knows it!

Take care,

Frogie xx

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

9 minutes ago, Frogie said:

JanCarol is awesome!

She has/and still does help me tremendously.

She is very knowledgeable and will help you a lot.

I love her and she knows it!

Hi Frogie, Yes, I agree...I think JC is oozing awesomeness 😃 K

• Parnate  20mg - 50mg and olazapine 5mg ~ Jan 2016 - May 2016 (ceased over 2 days) 
  • Clonazepam 1.5mg daily ~ July 2016 (started tapering May 2017 - September 2017 currently on 0.375mg..ie 0.125mg TDS) 27th May 2018 5% 0.357mg (possible paradoxical reaction - see benzo thread)  28th June 5% 0.337mg, 28th July 10% 0.303mg, 12th September10% 0.272mg, 18th September reinstated 10% due to intolerable WD 0.303mg, 1st October-11th Oct 10% (1% reduction over 10 days) 0.272mg, 22nd October clonazepam ceased crossed over 10mg diazepam
  •  Dexamphatamine 20mg ~ December 2016 (started tapering October 2017 - tapered 1.25mg 4th Dec 2017, 1.25mg 19th Dec 2017 6.25mg, Speed up decrease due to major interaction between Dex and fluoxetine- ref to thread 10% 17th Feb 2018 5.63mg, 10% 21st Feb 2018 5.1mg, 10% 26th Feb 2018 4.5mg 10% 28th Feb 4.1mg, 10% 1st March 3.7mg, 10% 5th March 3.3mg, 10% 8th March 3mg, 10% 10th March 2.7mg, 10% 12th March 2.4mg, 10% 14th March 2.16mg, 10% 16th March 1.94mg, 10% 18th March 1.74mg, 10% 20th March 1.57mg, 10% 21st March 1.41mg, 10% 22nd March 1.26mg, 10% 23rd March 1.13mg, 10% 24th March 1.01mg, 10% 25th March 0.9mg, 10% 27th March 0.81mg, 10% 29th March 0.73mg, 10% 31st March 0.66mg, 10% 2nd April 0.59mg , 10% 4th April 0.53mg, 10% 6th April 0.47mg, 10% 8th April 0.42mg, 10%10th April 0.37mg, 11th April 0.2mg, 12th April 0.1mg (last dose) OFF! 
  • Fluoxetine 40mg ~December 2016 - 31 Jan 2018 reduced to 20mg (probable serotonin toxicity) 10th March 2020 10mg (1:1 ratio), 7th April 9mg, 1st May 8.5mg, 15th May 8.0mg, 27th May 7.5mg, 8th Sept 7.2mg, 2nd Oct 7mg, 19th Oct 6.8mg, 28th Oct 6.6mg, 5th Nov 6.4mg, 26th Nov 6mg, 2nd April 2021 5.9mg, 9th April 5.8mg, 19th April 5.75mg, 22nd April 5.7mg, 26th April 5.65mg,28th April 5.6mg, 1st May 5.5mg, 4th May 5.45mg, 7th May 5.4mg, 10th May 5.35mg, 12th May 5.3mg, 15th May 5.25mg, 18th May 5.2mg, 20th May 5.15mg, 22nd May 5mg, 10th July 4.5mg, 9th Aug 4.48mg (switched from syringe to pipette method), 12th Aug 4.46mg, 14th Aug 4.4mg, 18th Aug 4.38mg, 19th Aug 4.36mg, 20th Aug 4.34, 21st 4.32mg, 22nd 4.3mg, 23rd Aug 4mg (hold), (micro-taper) 12th Oct 2021 3.98mg, 14th Oct 3.96mg, 15th Oct 3.94mg, 16th Oct 3.92mg, 17th Oct 3.9mg, 18th Oct 3.88mg, 19th Oct 3.86mg, 21st Oct 3.84mg, 22nd Oct 3.82mg, 23rd Oct 3.8mg, 24th Oct 3.78mg, 25th Oct 3.76mg, 26th Oct 3.74mg, 27th Oct 3.72mg, (WD reached intolerable level, reinstated 0.06mg) 28th Oct 3.8mg, 7th March 2022 3.7mg, 21st March 3.6mg, 4th April 3.5mg, 18th April 3.4mg, 2nd May 3.3mg, 16th May 3.2mg, 20th June 3.1mg, 4th July 3mg, 18th July 2.9mg, 12th September 2.7mg, 18th October 2.5mg, 14th Nov 2.3mg, 12th December 2.1mg, 18th January 2023 1.9mg, 9th July 2023 1.88mg, 16th July 1.86mg, 23rd July 1.84mg, 30th July 1.82mg, 6th Aug 1.80mg, 10th Sept 1.7mg, 12th Oct 1.68mg, 23rd Oct 1.66mg, 30th Oct 1.64mg, 6th Nov 1.62mg, 13th Nov 1.60mg, (2:1 ratio) 30th Dec 1.597mg, 7th Jan 2024 1.595mg, 8th 1.592mg,  10th 1.589, 11th 1.587, 12th 1.585, 13th 1.583, 14th 1.58 cont… 5th Feb 1.56mg, 11th Feb 1.55mg, 19th Feb 1.54mg, 26th Feb 1.53mg, 4th March 1.52mg, 11th March 1.51mg, 25th March 1.50mg, 1st April 1.49mg, 8th April 1.48mg, 15th April 1.47mg, 22nd April 1.46mg, 29th April 1.45mg
  • Diazepam 10mg ~ 22nd Oct 2018, 10th November 8mg, 14th Nov 7mg, 8th December 6mg, 30th December 5mg (Nocte), 7th March 2019 4.5mg,14th March 4mg, 5th April 3.5mg, 9th April 3mg, 18th April 2.5mg,1st May 2mg, 17th May 1.75mg, 25th May 1.6mg, 4th June 1.59mg, 5th June 1.58mg, 6th June 1.57mg, 7th June 1.56mg, 8th June 1.55mg, 22nd June 1.4mg, 4th July 1.2mg, 16th July 1mg, 30th July 0.8mg, 13th Aug 0.6mg, 28th Aug 0.4mg, 10th Sept 0.2mg, 23rd Sept Off! 

"Whenever you feel yourself doubting how far you can go,  just remember how far you have come.  Remember everything you have faced, all the battles you have won, and all the fears you have overcome"    Unknown 

2 minutes ago, Kristine said:

Hi Frogie, Yes, I agree...I think JC is oozing awesomeness 😃 K

She is!

She was I think one of the 1st mods to help me.

I truly treasure her opinions and help.

Take care,

Frogie xx

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

Goodbye beautiful window...hello wave.  It's not a monster wave so I'm grateful...

• Last night my husband brought home takeaway 'noodles in a box'...I shouldn't have eaten it after all JanCarol said about gluten and MSG...think I'm paying the price....
  • only got two hours broken sleep and had very weird dreams. Woke in panic and feeling claustrophobic...like I wanted to rip my skin off.  Blah 😒
  • Increased muscular pain... most noticeable in arms and calfs 
  • nausea but only mild
  • headache
  • the usual amped up fatigue
  • flat mood...zero motivation (but that's not unusual)...I'm sitting in the middle of the "I don't care" zone 
  • It's nearly 1pm...I'm in bed...and can't seem to drag myself to the shower.  Feeling stinky 😳

It is what it is....🙄 

Love to you all. K

• Moderator Emeritus

Oh wow.  I'm sorry, I didn't mean to be that accurate.

Husbands.  Mine brings home Bacon and cheese rolls, and wheat buns, fills the house with bread-y stuff (and it shows on his tummy!).  They do it because they care about you - but - also because "it looks yummy"

I can now eat wheat, but I think of it as a shotglass.  I can have a shotglass a day (but take days off, too).  So I can "get away with" 1/2 slice of bread, or a mince pie (yay! but only one!).  But when I go to the States, I can be sick - I was sick - for 3 months afterwards.  It's a lot harder when travelling to "keep it clean."

You might have access to "artisanal wheat" which is less allergenic than mass produced wheat.  But it doesn't come from Noodle Box!

I came hear today because there is this awesome thing - a movie / music thing - done by a woman with extreme states (and extreme trauma).  I believe in the "Mad Pride" movement, that it's okay to have mental and emotional diversity.  Just because I think differently, feel differently, does not make me "sick."

But this - Music Mental Health Opera was the first thing I saw that made me feel Pride.  True Pride.   Be sure and watch the video!  This lady is AWESOMENESS!

It's one thing to say, "It's okay to feel that way, think that way" - it's totally another thing to say - it's AMAZING to express yourself, and I'm PROUD to have been where I've been, experienced what I've experienced.  That's what that short video did for me, and if the opera ever "comes to town," it will be required viewing, even if it's at the hoity-toity QPAC!

Remember the sun today!  It's a gorgeous (hot) day in Queensland!

1 hour ago, Kristine said:

Goodbye beautiful window...hello wave.  It's not a monster wave so I'm grateful...

My day was a wave also.  I thought it was futile for me to try to figure out why or what happened or what did I eat, but maybe I should look at what I ate today.  I ate two pieces of bacon and 1 scrambled egg and an apple.  Then for lunch I ate a cheeseburger (no bread). For a snack, 1/4 cup of salted cashew nuts.  I took a gentle walk in the sun.  Then the tinnitus started up big time.  Then I ate eggplant parm & chicken for dinner.  One of the things that came back recently is my appetite.  I have been thinking that's a good, healthy thing as long as I am somewhat disciplined.  I wonder if it was salt in the food.  I never add salt, but maybe it was in the food, especially the nuts which I never eat but did today.

Anyway, I cried and prayed till I was exhausted, then just distracted in the computer.  I just tried some prime subliminal tapes JS recommended.

Best,

RealMe

Alcohol periodic excessive 1963-1976, Valium sporadic 1964-1973,  Imipramine off & on 1982-1985, Fluoxetine 10mg-80 mg. Oct., 1995-Jan., 2014; Cymbalta, other ADs 1/2014-3/2014; Abilify 5 mg. 3/2014 - 8/8/17; Trintellix 20 mg. 3/2014 - 9/2017; Propranolol 60-80 mg. sporadically Sept-Oct, 2017; Seroquel few days Sept 2017 (c/t); Wellbutrin 150 mg. Sept, 2017 updosed to 300 mg. few days till c/t Oct 8, 2017, fish oil, vitD, vitE Oct 16, 2017-pres. Lipoflavonoid 4/2017-pres.  Fluoxetine 10 mg. Sept-Oct 8, 2017, 20 mg. 10/9- 10/15; 10 mg. 10/16 - 12/29;  9 mg. 12/30 - 2/9; 2 mL liquid (8.1mg) 2/10 - 3/7; 1.8 mL (7.29 mg) 3/8 -3/20; 1.6 mL (6.561mg) 3/20-4/2; 1.4 mL (5.9 mg) 4/3-4/14; 1mL (4 mg.) 4/15-4/22; .9mL (3.6mg) 4/23-5/1; .81mL (3.24 mg) 5/2-5/24; .73mL (2.916mg.) 5/25-6/8; .65mL 6/9-6/23; .6mL 6/24-7/17; .58mL 7/18-7/28; .525mL 7/29-8/13; .5 mL 8/14-21; .45mL 8/22-31; .4mL 9/2-21; .35mL 9/22-10/4; .3mL 10/5-28; .25mL 10/28-11/10; .2mL 11/11-11/24; .18mL 11/25-12/3; .1mL 12/4-12/18. Zero-12/19/18-present.

1 hour ago, RealMe said:

My day was a wave also.

Oh RM,  what are we to do?  Your food intake looks okay to me.  Very good in fact and I'm so pleased you have your appetite back. I don't even know if the noodles are related to this wave! I have felt so fatigued today (like every day!) and I thought....wouldn't it be lovely if someone came and delivered meals for people with healing nervous systems.  Non of the nasties, all of the goodies! Nothing that could potentially cause inflammation!  

2 hours ago, RealMe said:

I just tried some prime subliminal tapes JS recommended.

Is this for your tinnitus? I don't know what they are but I hope they help!!!!  I must drop by your thread and check it out.

We will get there RM...eventually 😉 K

2 hours ago, JanCarol said:

Oh wow.  I'm sorry, I didn't mean to be that accurate.

Husbands.  Mine brings home Bacon and cheese rolls, and wheat buns, fills the house with bread-y stuff (and it shows on his tummy!).  They do it because they care about you - but - also because "it looks yummy"

LOL...yes they do mean well.  I'm barely cooking at the moment so I don't blame hubby for dropping by the noodle box on his way back from work.  He does cook but we are all a bit worn out lately.  If my son cooks the kitchen is unrecognisable! Somehow he manages to use every pot and pan and utensil available 🙄

2 hours ago, JanCarol said:

But this - Music Mental Health Opera was the first thing I saw that made me feel Pride.  True Pride.   Be sure and watch the video!  This lady is AWESOMENESS!

It's one thing to say, "It's okay to feel that way, think that way" - it's totally another thing to say - it's AMAZING to express yourself, and I'm PROUD to have been where I've been, experienced what I've experienced.  That's what that short video did for me, and if the opera ever "comes to town," it will be required viewing, even if it's at the hoity-toity QPAC!

I needed this today. Thank you JC.

And a saw the sun 🌻 K

So much information, so little functioning grey matter.

I so enjoyed the proverbial "vat" of information provided by JanCarol, (as well as that meditation.)  

I have had some rheumatiod/fibromyalgia issues and was blessed with a wonderful Asian doc who was also into naturopathic healing.  

Sorry to bring up the topic of eliminating more foods, but the nightshades were mentioned.  Potatoes and tomatoes  were mentioned.  Also, something about the temperature of liquids.  I live do so adore iced tea (Americans do love their ice) and water, but both have to be cold.  I hope I am not messing this up---but I seem to recall that room temperature is better.  Something about the Chi, but can't remember what.  

Hope that monster whatever, has fled and left you in peace.

take care,

JS

26 years of Anti-depressants (probably 32, lost track, alone and/in combination Vyvanse 30mg Discontinued Feb. 22, 2013 Topamax  25-75mg Feb 23, 2013--Feb 2016 0.0 mg Discontinued  Lamotrigine 25-50mg Jan 15, 2016-Adverse Reaction Discontinued Feb 2, 2016 T3 25-50mcg Feb.11, 2016  Discontinued April 23, 2016

Escitalopram 20mg-omg fast taper Nov. 2015-Jan.7, 2016 Crash! Reinstated 20mg  Taper Jan 14, 2016  0.0mg Sept 2016 Reinstated Feb.21, 2017 Escitalopram  5mg Dosage Adjustments  Escitalopram to 2.5mg June 28-30; Increased to 3.75mg July 1-28, 2017    July 29-Aug 4 10mg, alternated between 5 and 10mg next couple days.  Aug 9, 7.25mg;  Aug 10-14 10mg; Aug 15-25 7.25mg, August 25-29, 10mg.   

Levofloxacin (January 2017 2 doses) (Adverse Reaction: Neurotoxcity; 3 daysE.R.$30k+tests)

Adderall 25mgXR (start April 23, 2013) (Nov.2016 20mg) (Dec.2016 15mg) (Feb. 5, 2016 10mg) (June 15, 2017) 5mg XR 

Crossover July 7 to Adderall I.M 5mg Discontinued  Reinstated Adderall 5mgXR  July 28th 

Minipress 1mg began July 20-23, 2mg July 24 last dose Discontinued  (Prescribed to assist with side-effects of updose of Escitalopram) WellbutrinXR 150 mg July 24, 2017 Discontinued;  Hydroxyline 25-200 mg daily, began July 20, Discontnued; (Prescribed for side-effects-sensitized; W/D)Gababentin 100mg August 28, 8/29: 00mg, 8/30/17 100mg discontinued (Prescribed for side-effects of sensitized, W//D)Zolipidem PRN (2.5mg.) Reinstated May 15, 2017 after18m+ discontinuation Between May and  Aug18-Aug 30, 2017 Discontinued

Aug. 30. 2017 Escitalopram 8.2mg, Sept. 6 Ecitalopram (7.25 tablet) September 28 Escitalopram   (7 mg tablet)   Omega 3's , October 1 Escitalopram (6.25...I think)  November 1, Escitalopram (approx. 5.75mg) December 1 (5mg)  Missed .75 for few days, lowered dose.  W/D ramped up Dec.23;  Escitalopram 4mg tab. .75ml liquid March 5.  Adderall XR 5mg, Synthroid 112mcg  March 23 Escitalopram 4mg tab .50ml liquid.April 23 Escotalopram 4mgtab .25ml liquid Escitalopram dropping .25 every 30 days; July 23, 2018 Escitalopram 3.50mg, Adderall XR 5mg, Synthroid 112mcg 

July 2021:  Took last dose of Escitalopram .02mg.  Do dah!

Current:   Synthroid/Generic 100mcg decreased November, 2018  (TSH has changed 5 times since August 30, 2018 resulting in both Hyper and hypothyroid symptoms.)  November 1, 2018, increased Adderall XR to 10mg to combat brain fog after decrease in Synthroid.

I’ve been reading all of Kristines  posts over again. I am looking for some conviction within myself. I am not as confident. I have lost a lot. ( As have all of you.)I think maybe my self image is so damaged. Maybe the rest of you were better put together to start with. I am afraid of my mind right now.  I am afraid I’m not doing the right thing. That’s why I’m reading and rereading. I am impressed with all of you, what you’ve been through , and how you are so sure about the path you’re on. 

2001 Remeron , Celexa, prozac a week on lithium. 

2014 went off effexor and trazadone in 3 weeks. 

2014 zoloft (hyper reaction) put on effexor 75 mg. Was stable until 2017 

2017  Trazadone 50 mg (June) Effexor to 113 mg (2 weeks) Effexor 150 mg for a month . Took 75 mg until November. . Lithium 10 days, Lamactil 10 day  aug-nov15 ativan

October : Prozac bridge to get off 75 mg of effexor Used 10 mg of prozac. Stopped prozac 3 wk 

Dec 6, 7 Upped trazadone from 50 to 100 mg Did it for 3 days Stopped it

Dec 7 , Dec 8 Took prozac again 0.1 , 0.1, 0.6 stopped it

Dec 11 and Dec 12 upped it to 100 again

Dec 15 , 16,17 went back to 50 mg of trazadone

December 18 Began 3 beads of effexor  Dec 25 began 5 beads of effexor take 10 mg of omneprazole daily

3 hours ago, JS11 said:

Sorry to bring up the topic of eliminating more foods, but the nightshades were mentioned.  Potatoes and tomatoes  were mentioned.  Also, something about the temperature of liquids.  I live do so adore iced tea (Americans do love their ice) and water, but both have to be cold.  I hope I am not messing this up---but I seem to recall that room temperature is better.  Something about the Chi, but can't remember what. 

Hi JS,  I am not disciplined in the food arena mainly because I'm lacking energy to prepare meals, imagination for interesting meals and nausea when I don't feel like eating meals!!!  So when I am lucky enough not to feel nauseated I'll tend to grab something easy.  Also love nightshade's, particually tomatoes. Cheese and tomato toasted sandwich anyone??!  And ice! I pretty much have ice in everything...one of the w/d symptoms is feeling hot..like my skin and blood is on fire...so ice it is. 

My day is a little better than yesterday 😊 I'll stop by your thread asap.

Cheers. K

3 hours ago, Downbutnotout said:

I’ve been reading all of Kristines  posts over again.

Blimey D!  That must have been a tough slog!  😉 (Sorry, bit of Australian slang thrown in)

3 hours ago, Downbutnotout said:

I am looking for some conviction within myself. I am not as confident. I have lost a lot. ( As have all of you.)I think maybe my self image is so damaged. Maybe the rest of you were better put together to start with. I am afraid of my mind right now.  I am afraid I’m not doing the right thing. That’s why I’m reading and rereading. I am impressed with all of you, what you’ve been through , and how you are so sure about the path you’re on. 

Oh, beautiful D 😊 I am filled with self doubt and lack of confidence!  Second guessing myself is not uncommon. Below is something I recently posted on Marmot's thread.  It includes some personal opinions and experiences.  I doubt anyone on this sight started these medications without a reason...emotional or physical pain has lead us all to psychotropic medications...as I say below "I am a work in progress" ....xox K  (for some reason Marmots quotes didn't come through so you may need to look at her page) 

1 hour ago, Kristine said:

Hi Marmot, I was excited when I saw your post, I know you only visit occasionally but I've missed you!

Many valid points Marmot.  We live in a fast paced, quick fix society.  People plaster their "perfect" lives across social media...the focus is perfection, the self absorbed "selfie" culture, flaws and differences are not celebrated and our society has become fickle and disconnected.  I don't think many of us even know how to deal with our inner turmoil because we have never been taught.  Then any open expression of negative emotions are shunned, pushed aside by ourselves or the people around us....in general emotional suffering is not accepted.  It must be fixed...quickly.   In Australia there is a mental health campaign called "Are you ok? Day".  I loathe it.  If I ask someone if they are ok.....I really want to know.  However, I have been asked that question many times and I have witnessed the glaze forming over the questioners eyes as they start to shuffle uncomfortably in their own skin.  Now, with most people, I answer.... "I'm fine, and you?"

You may be thinking "what on earth is she going on about!"  I guess my point is...if we don't "fit" into the "norm" our culture has the powerful ability to make us feel inadequate, isolated, alone and marginalised.  Then if we seek professional help and a label is attached to us, this validates that our culture is correct.  It sends a very clear message to our psyche.. we are not ok as we are, our brains are broken and damaged.  We need to be fixed and changed into something else.  We are being forced to "fit". I think this may lead to the frustration that you describe? 

You descibe going back to "untangle the mess" of your past...the loneliness and shyness which eventually lead to depression.  In my opinion this is the healthy part (painful but healthy).  I think it is essential that we understand who we are, how we react, why and what we react to....a could go on.  It's an ongoing process...I believe if we keep asking questions, keep moving forward, continue to make decisions we are on the right path.  Perhaps being stagnant is the most damaging.

Yes and no.  I'm a work in progress.  Ongoing trauma led me to the medication.  However, I believe it was ingrained negative beliefs about myself that kept me on them.  I was raised but a mother who had many "skeletons in the closet" but her main goal was to appear "perfect" to the world.  This included a relentless pressure on me, as an child and an adolescent to fit this image.  She would even scold me for laughing to loud.  I wasn't allowed to be emotionally expressive. Negative or positive.  If I wasn't perfect she would scream at me, belittle me and beat me.  Always behind closed doors of course.  Then she wouldn't talk to me for days.  My brother wasn't subjected to the same abuse.  Thankfully, I have escaped this.  I have put in place the neccessary boundaries to protect myself.  Because her behaviour was never about me.  She is an unhappy, destructive and bitter woman.  It makes me sad, it still hurts but her life is not my responsibility. I learnt that the hard way!  So for over ten years I been learning mindful meditation, literally meditating and sitting with emotional pain...giving it space, letting it be, instead of running away from it (I used to be a workaholic 😳).  The other practice is loving-kindness towards myself.  I am getting much better at this but I have a long way to go.  As I said.."I'm a work in progress" 😉

So so lovely to hear from you Marmot. Hugs to you. K

32 minutes ago, Kristine said:

Hi JS,  I am not disciplined in the food arena mainly because I'm lacking energy to prepare meals, imagination for interesting meals and nausea when I don't feel like eating meals!!!  So when I am lucky enough not to feel nauseated I'll tend to grab something easy.  Also love nightshade's, particually tomatoes. Cheese and tomato toasted sandwich anyone??!  And ice! I pretty much have ice in everything...one of the w/d symptoms is feeling hot..like my skin and blood is on fire...so ice it is. 

My day is a little better than yesterday 😊 I'll stop by your thread asap.

Cheers. K

Well, you are NOT talking to a gourmet here.  My idea of wealth would be to have my own personal chef.  Preparation is not my thing; I prefer the eating, although I do shop and help clean up!  

Yes, I went through the nausea thing and it has thankfully departed.  What a miserable feeling.  When I could get out of bed, I was sucking down ginger of some sort.  It did seem to help.  I noticed that you are a ginger girl too.  

As for the hot, I don't know about blood boiling for me, so very sorry! but the hot, yes.  I was dripping with sweat.  I know RachelSusan spoke of this as well. I have seen a couple other people as well.  True, it was summer but we are talking about looking like you have just completed some major athletic accomplishment. I had to change tops frequently.  

Some forward movement.  May there be more and more and more....you get the idea.  

And ice IS one of my food groups!

xoxo,

JS

26 years of Anti-depressants (probably 32, lost track, alone and/in combination Vyvanse 30mg Discontinued Feb. 22, 2013 Topamax  25-75mg Feb 23, 2013--Feb 2016 0.0 mg Discontinued  Lamotrigine 25-50mg Jan 15, 2016-Adverse Reaction Discontinued Feb 2, 2016 T3 25-50mcg Feb.11, 2016  Discontinued April 23, 2016

Escitalopram 20mg-omg fast taper Nov. 2015-Jan.7, 2016 Crash! Reinstated 20mg  Taper Jan 14, 2016  0.0mg Sept 2016 Reinstated Feb.21, 2017 Escitalopram  5mg Dosage Adjustments  Escitalopram to 2.5mg June 28-30; Increased to 3.75mg July 1-28, 2017    July 29-Aug 4 10mg, alternated between 5 and 10mg next couple days.  Aug 9, 7.25mg;  Aug 10-14 10mg; Aug 15-25 7.25mg, August 25-29, 10mg.   

Levofloxacin (January 2017 2 doses) (Adverse Reaction: Neurotoxcity; 3 daysE.R.$30k+tests)

Adderall 25mgXR (start April 23, 2013) (Nov.2016 20mg) (Dec.2016 15mg) (Feb. 5, 2016 10mg) (June 15, 2017) 5mg XR 

Crossover July 7 to Adderall I.M 5mg Discontinued  Reinstated Adderall 5mgXR  July 28th 

Minipress 1mg began July 20-23, 2mg July 24 last dose Discontinued  (Prescribed to assist with side-effects of updose of Escitalopram) WellbutrinXR 150 mg July 24, 2017 Discontinued;  Hydroxyline 25-200 mg daily, began July 20, Discontnued; (Prescribed for side-effects-sensitized; W/D)Gababentin 100mg August 28, 8/29: 00mg, 8/30/17 100mg discontinued (Prescribed for side-effects of sensitized, W//D)Zolipidem PRN (2.5mg.) Reinstated May 15, 2017 after18m+ discontinuation Between May and  Aug18-Aug 30, 2017 Discontinued

Aug. 30. 2017 Escitalopram 8.2mg, Sept. 6 Ecitalopram (7.25 tablet) September 28 Escitalopram   (7 mg tablet)   Omega 3's , October 1 Escitalopram (6.25...I think)  November 1, Escitalopram (approx. 5.75mg) December 1 (5mg)  Missed .75 for few days, lowered dose.  W/D ramped up Dec.23;  Escitalopram 4mg tab. .75ml liquid March 5.  Adderall XR 5mg, Synthroid 112mcg  March 23 Escitalopram 4mg tab .50ml liquid.April 23 Escotalopram 4mgtab .25ml liquid Escitalopram dropping .25 every 30 days; July 23, 2018 Escitalopram 3.50mg, Adderall XR 5mg, Synthroid 112mcg 

Current:   Synthroid/Generic 100mcg decreased November, 2018  (TSH has changed 5 times since August 30, 2018 resulting in both Hyper and hypothyroid symptoms.)  November 1, 2018, increased Adderall XR to 10mg to combat brain fog after decrease in Synthroid.

7 minutes ago, Kristine said:

Blimey D!  That must have been a tough slog!  😉 (Sorry, bit of Australian slang thrown in)

Oh, beautiful D 😊 I am filled with self doubt and lack of confidence!  Second guessing myself is not uncommon. Below is something I recently posted on Marmot's thread.  It includes some personal opinions and experiences.  I doubt anyone on this sight started these medications without a reason...emotional or physical pain has lead us all to psychotropic medications...as I say below "I am a work in progress" ....xox K  (for some reason Marmots quotes didn't come through so you may need to look at her page) 

9 minutes ago, Kristine said:

Now if I could just learn how to quote little bits and pieces like all of you so aptly do....

DownButNotOut, Yes, to everything K. said.  And to the other thing she qouted on Marmot's page.  (Love Marmots by the way, rather a mascot here.)

I am frequently a heaping mess and don't always post out loud as it is so very difficult to let people know what is really going on...

I also look at people's posts and think, Wow!  Look at them!  And then I look at me and think not so good thoughts.  I am trying so very hard to suck up all the hope here.  And, I suppose it should be yet another comfort that all of these intelligent, articulate, caring souls who found there way here, were also medicated as well.  Just like me!  Strength in numbers.  So much better together than alone.  For I feel alone so very much of the time, and it is a hellish place, just sayin'

xoxo to you both,

JS11  

15 minutes ago, JS11 said:

I also look at people's posts and think, Wow!  Look at them!  And then I look at me and think not so good thoughts.  I am trying so very hard to suck up all the hope here.  And, I suppose it should be yet another comfort that all of these intelligent, articulate, caring souls who found there way here, were also medicated as well.  Just like me!  Strength in numbers.  So much better together than alone.  For I feel alone so very much of the time, and it is a hellish place, just sayin'

Spot on JS...I think you just summed up the feelings of many of us. K. Xox

9 hours ago, JS11 said:

As for the hot, I don't know about blood boiling for me, so very sorry! but the hot, yes.  I was dripping with sweat.  I know RachelSusan spoke of this as well. I have seen a couple other people as well.  True, it was summer but we are talking about looking like you have just completed some major athletic accomplishment. I had to change tops frequently.  

I change clothes so frequently. Sweat, sweat and more sweat...doesn't exactly make me feel terribly feminine.  Then I'm thinking menopause...but no...it's w/d. 

9 hours ago, JS11 said:

And ice IS one of my food groups!

And it's not addictive! 

😆 K

On 1/10/2018 at 12:15 AM, Kristine said:

We will get there RM...eventually 😉 K

How are you doing today, Kristine?  I'm having a not so bad day.  Thankful for small improvements.   I posted in my introduction thread.

Hope you are feeling better.  Yes, I believe we will get there.  I have to fight the negative thoughts, especially the one that says I'm too old and have done too much damage to my brain and cns.   I have to count on neuroplasticity!

Alcohol periodic excessive 1963-1976, Valium sporadic 1964-1973,  Imipramine off & on 1982-1985, Fluoxetine 10mg-80 mg. Oct., 1995-Jan., 2014; Cymbalta, other ADs 1/2014-3/2014; Abilify 5 mg. 3/2014 - 8/8/17; Trintellix 20 mg. 3/2014 - 9/2017; Propranolol 60-80 mg. sporadically Sept-Oct, 2017; Seroquel few days Sept 2017 (c/t); Wellbutrin 150 mg. Sept, 2017 updosed to 300 mg. few days till c/t Oct 8, 2017, fish oil, vitD, vitE Oct 16, 2017-pres. Lipoflavonoid 4/2017-pres.  Fluoxetine 10 mg. Sept-Oct 8, 2017, 20 mg. 10/9- 10/15; 10 mg. 10/16 - 12/29;  9 mg. 12/30 - 2/9; 2 mL liquid (8.1mg) 2/10 - 3/7; 1.8 mL (7.29 mg) 3/8 -3/20; 1.6 mL (6.561mg) 3/20-4/2; 1.4 mL (5.9 mg) 4/3-4/14; 1mL (4 mg.) 4/15-4/22; .9mL (3.6mg) 4/23-5/1; .81mL (3.24 mg) 5/2-5/24; .73mL (2.916mg.) 5/25-6/8; .65mL 6/9-6/23; .6mL 6/24-7/17; .58mL 7/18-7/28; .525mL 7/29-8/13; .5 mL 8/14-21; .45mL 8/22-31; .4mL 9/2-21; .35mL 9/22-10/4; .3mL 10/5-28; .25mL 10/28-11/10; .2mL 11/11-11/24; .18mL 11/25-12/3; .1mL 12/4-12/18. Zero-12/19/18-present.

1 hour ago, RealMe said:

How are you doing today, Kristine?  I'm having a not so bad day.  Thankful for small improvements.   I posted in my introduction thread.

Hope you are feeling better.  Yes, I believe we will get there.  I have to fight the negative thoughts, especially the one that says I'm too old and have done too much damage to my brain and cns.   I have to count on neuroplasticity!

Hi RM,  The negative thoughts are tricky to deal with.  Sometimes I find distraction is the only method, I play that silly app farm heros...with the sound off 🙄 I'm somewhere in the middle today. Feeling very flat in mood.  That oh hum feeling.  Only managed three hours of broken sleep.. but it's better than nothing!  I'll pop by your thread today RM ☺️ K 

10 minutes ago, Kristine said:

Hi RM,  The negative thoughts are tricky to deal with.  Sometimes I find distraction is the only method, I play that silly app farm heros...with the sound off 🙄 I'm somewhere in the middle today. Feeling very flat in mood.  That oh hum feeling.  Only managed three hours of broken sleep.. but it's better than nothing!  I'll pop by your thread today RM ☺️ K 

Hi Kristine:

I'm glad you felt well enough to at least play a game. I did manage to take a nice hot bath. Thought it might help my akasthisia in my knees. I can't tell if it did or not. 

Take care,

Frogie xx

Hi RealMe, LRH, Frogie and Jane,  I woke with the usual headache this morning (11:15am currently)...unfortunately it is morphing into a brutal migraine...so I literally don't have the headspace to write any meaningful replies at the moment....dark room, cold flannel, peppermint oil and eye mask....😢 Love you all. K 🌻

Update....last night ate two homemade chicken wraps...lettuce, tomato, cucumber, cheese.

• 6:30 am woke from restless broken sleep..mild anxiety, headache, apathy, prickling skin, severe fatigue and muscle weakness.  Tightness and heavy chest.  No nausea
  • 7:00am normal meds. Big glass water
  • 7:30am can't move from bed
  • 8:30am Breakfast Sultana Bran..milk. Back to bed....husband talking to me..can't follow what he is saying/feel stupid/can not focus at all..feeling dead inside
  • 9:30 headache keeps increasing... 
  • 10:00am feeling the need to eat but don't feel hungry...eat dates
  • 11:00 Migraine/peppermint oil/cold flannel/eye mask/dark room...bed, bed, bed Took Mersyndol for migraine 🙄
  • 1:00pm son made me a sandwich. Deep sadness..filling my abdomen and chest...normal meds 
  • 2:00pm sadness is overwhelming now...but it Has nowhere to go, so desperately want to cry but I can't/ prob fluoxetine side effect/ need a outlet..release...feel like I'm bursting at the seams with sadness and despair.  Just want to sleep until this is all over..but I can't sleep.  Over it, to be honest.  
  • Forgot to mention..vertigo +++ it concerns me I also have it when horizontal in bed...just move my head slightly (left or right) and the whole world spins. Awful.  Does anyone else get horizontal vertigo?

Oh Kristine, so sad for you. I know you’ll get through it. I know you will find the way to get to the other side of this. Your too good a person to be suffering like this.  But  even while you are in all this misery, you managed to write a very coherent post. You give me a lot of strength and support. I want to do the same for you. I hope you get some needed sleep. I am betting when you wake up you will feel better. I know it. 

2017  Trazadone 50 mg (June) Effexor to 113 mg (2 weeks) Effexor 150 mg for a month . Took 75 mg until November. . Lithium 10 days, Lamactil 10 day  aug-nov15 ativan

October : Prozac bridge to get off 75 mg of effexor Used 10 mg of prozac. Stopped prozac 3 wk 

December 18 Began 3 beads of effexor  Dec 25 began 5 beads of effexor take 10 mg of omneprazole daily

7 hours ago, RealMe said:

I can relate to that old part. But I bet I’m older than all of you. So don’t feel bad. I was born in 1950. Neuroplasticity is key. Right? 

Thank you D...needed that, mean a lot to me. K xo

On 12/01/2018 at 9:59 AM, Longestroadhome said:

Oh wow, Kristine, you have been through so much 😥 it makes me so mad. Your story reminds me of the book that I read a few years ago about an Australian woman initially diagnosed with post natal depression and then subjected to years of medical abuse from psychiatry. Thankfully she lived to tell her story.

Good Morning LRH,  Thank you for dropping by 😊 Are you able to remember the name of the book?  I'd be interested in reading it.

If it were not for this site and people like Peter Breggin, David Healy and others I would be in a far worse state today than I am. All they seem to want to do is play around with medications. It does seem that your psychiatrist is one of the better ones. 

Same here.  For me I was experiencing all these terrifying symptoms with no real answers or validation.  I still find it astonishing that people like us are not formally supported by the medical profession to withdraw from these drugs.  There are clinic all over Australia to support people withdrawing from illicit drugs such as heroine and crystal meth, as there should be.  However, we are left to navigate our own path, flopping about like fish in a drying up river bed!  Thank God, for SA....I would be lost without the shared experiences of members and the wisdom and advice of the moderators and Alto.

All they seem to want to do is play around with medications. It does seem that your psychiatrist is one of the better ones. 

I imagine a group of psychiatrists in a room, blindfolded...throwing darts in the hope to hit a target...that is the extent of psychiatrys psychotropic intelligence.  Yes, my psychiatrist is open minded, willing to listen and is more focused on the 'non-drug' techniques...she referred me to another psychiatrist for a second option.  I was suffering from PAWS but she didn't recognise it, nor did I.  Nor did the new psychiatrist.  He destroyed me...but I'm ever so slowly coming back to life.

Today I am happy to say that my creativity is slowly returning. I am more like the wife in the movie The Castle in regards to creations of the strangest kind!

Thank you for writing this because it gives me hope.  My imagination is gon.  Love The Castle!  "How's the serenity?" 😉

44 minutes ago, Longestroadhome said:

Hi Kristine. I hope this morning is better. 

A herbal remedy for prevention of migraine headaches is feverfew in tincture form. You might want to look it up. 

I little better thank you...I am just so utterly exhausted with all of this, as are most people.  I haven't heard of that tincture, thank you.  I will look it up ☺️  I like teas as well but I'm keeping it simple at the moment...mainly drink green tea.  

I'll drop by your thread soon LRH.  Cheers. K 🌻

Hi All 😊  Just thought I should share some current situational events in my life.  We are renovation our house and will need to move on Tuesday to my brother in laws.  He's not living there at the moment.  The purpose of the renovation is to accomodate my 90 year old mother in law.  So..... level access, wheelchair friendly and so on.  My husband is mostly shouldering this burden of renovation and I'm feeling very guilty about that.  The other issue is this creative/imagination void I have....for example, colour schemes for the different rooms...I have been staring at paint colour samples...my mind is blank....which leads to feeling useless.  My mother in law moving in is a positive. She is an absolute sweetheart, strong as an ox (for her age) and has all her mental faculties! Needless to say, she has never taken an antidepressant.  

Love to you all. K 🌻

22 hours ago, Kristine said:
  • Forgot to mention..vertigo +++ it concerns me I also have it when horizontal in bed...just move my head slightly (left or right) and the whole world spins. Awful.  Does anyone else get horizontal vertigo?

Hi Kristine,

I have Meniere's Disease. I was diagnosed in my mid-teens. Nothing like having hangover symptoms without drinking a drop. When it's really, really bad, the world can spin standing, sitting, laying down.  It gets to the point I can't turn my head even 1 degree or wheeeeeeeeeeeeeee!  Until I was in my late twenties, I used Gravol (dimenhydrinate) to literally put me to sleep so it would settle down. Stress and lack of sleep are MAJOR aggravators in Meniere's.

Hope you're feeling better. Hugs. :wub:

My memory is a sieve.  What I can remember:

2006- Effexor started at 75mg upped to 300mg

somewhere after 2008- Switched to Cipralex started at 5mg upped to 20mg

2017- added Wellbutrin 150mg to Cipralex 20mg

occasional use of Ativan 0.5mg sublingual, usually given 7-10 tabs  -- (last used Nov 2017 ... previous? my mom's death probably? 2013)

Cold turkey Nov 13, 2017 (used Ativan once a day when it was unbearable until Rx finished)

24 Jan. 2018 - Reinstated Cipralex 5mg

31 Jan. 2018 - started Cetirizine Hydrochloride for severe allergies due to tattoo --- stopped 24 Feb. 2018

26 Feb. 2018 - Coversyl 4mg

Currently: 5mg Cipralex , 16mg Serc (for Meniere's), 4mg Coversyl (high blood pressure)

Supplements: 300mg Magnesium

On 1/10/2018 at 10:13 PM, Kristine said:

Spot on JS...I think you just summed up the feelings of many of us. K. Xox

Thanks JS  

43 minutes ago, JustCallMeJane said:

I have Meniere's Disease. I was diagnosed in my mid-teens. Nothing like having hangover symptoms without drinking a drop. When it's really, really bad, the world can spin standing, sitting, laying down.  It gets to the point I can't turn my head even 1 degree or wheeeeeeeeeeeeeee!  Until I was in my late twenties, I used Gravol (dimenhydrinate) to literally put me to sleep so it would settle down. Stress and lack of sleep are MAJOR aggravators in Meniere's.

Hope you're feeling better. Hugs. :wub:

Oh Jane 😞 That must be a beast to deal with over so many years.  Nice to know someone who understands the feeling!! I first experienced it two years ago when I was taken off the citalopram .  Then it hit full force back in October 2017.  Seemed to be get much worse when the Dex was dropped by 5mg (this was prior to SA and I was clueless)...balance and coordination out the window and this is when vertigo was also a problem when lying down.  The fun doesn't stop 🙄 Hugs to you. K

LOL Balance and coordination are in the negatives when my Meniere's hits. I've fallen into walls, doors and once off a toilet. Yeah, hilarious to think about now, but at the time, quite embarrassing... face plant on the bathroom floor. Thank God it was my own and not some filthy public washroom. My husband got it once, during a really bad flu season, and said to me afterwards, God, if that's what you go through on a daily basis, no wonder you're so bitchy! LOL Love that man's sense of humour.

occasional use of Ativan 0.5mg sublingual, usually given 7-10 tabs  -- (last used Nov 2017 ... previous? my mom's death probably? 2013)

Cold turkey Nov 13, 2017 (used Ativan once a day when it was unbearable until Rx finished)

31 Jan. 2018 - started Cetirizine Hydrochloride for severe allergies due to tattoo --- stopped 24 Feb. 2018

Currently: 5mg Cipralex , 16mg Serc (for Meniere's), 4mg Coversyl (high blood pressure)

Lol...😂 Not funny but funny 😂 I've been running into walls and doing my best not to fall off or fall over...fallen once...so putting everything into consideration, that's not too bad!  Add on the tremors...well let's just say you wouldn't want to put my in a China shop 😳 

LOL Yep, I understand that feeling.