ANewMe2018

ANewMe2018: Support needed

ANewMe2018

Hello everyone. I was given a diagnosis of bipolar disorder during a difficult time in my life. The psychiatrist put me on lamictal, gabapentin, grapevine and Wellbutrin. Since then I've gotten sober and live a healthy lifestyle. I've been having bad side effects to the meds and told the psychiatrist I want to get off. She suggested doubling the dose of lamictal and adding an antipsychotic. She won't help me, so I found a holistic doctor and a chiropractor who are helping my taper. Got off the wellbutrin and tried with the gabapentin and was not able to continue because I could not function with the horrendous withdrawal symptoms. Currently tapering the grapevine and will take the landfall when I'm done with that. I need support and encouragement as I walk through this nightmare!! That's why I joined this group!

Edited by baroquep

Gridley

Hello, ANewME2018,

Welcome to SA, and congratulations on adopting a healthy lifestyle,  finding a new doctor, and getting off the Wellbutrin.  This is your main page where you can post updates and ask questions.

We ask all members to create a drug signature.  This will enable the moderators to give informed advice.  Please follow this format:

Summarize your history in a signature - ALL drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly.  Please be sure to put the start date, dosage and end date for each drug..

• Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses.
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs. 
  • Any drugs prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years.
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago)
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016.
  • Link to Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

Here are some links which will give you some information that should be helpful to you:

Why taper by 10% of my dosage? 

What is Withdrawal Syndrome?

Brain Remodelling

Taking multiple psych drugs? Which drug to taper first?

Tips for tapering off Lamictal (lamotrigine)

Tips for tapering off Neurontin (gabapentin)

Marmot

Hey ANewMe,

Welcome! Glad to hear that you're living healthier now. You'll find that the members and mods here are really supportive. I just joined a few weeks ago. 

Cheers,

Marmot

RealMe

Glad you are here and getting the help you need. This forum has been and continues to be such good support. 

nz11
3 hours ago, ANewMe2018 said:

I've been having bad side effects to the meds and told the psychiatrist I want to get off. She suggested doubling the dose of lamictal and adding an antipsychotic.

Some of the stuff I'm reading this morning on sa is leaving me speechless. This is unbelievable.

So glad you found sa ANM.

It would be well worth your while to read those excellent links from Gridley.