RiPeDi: Off meds and symptoms appeared suddenly after 8 months.

RiPeDi

Hi to all. I've been following this blog for the last two months.

Short introduction

I'm 27 years old and I'm from Portugal. I started to have panic attacks suddenly and I was medicated with 75mg of Venlafaxine (effexor) and 0.5 mg of alprazolam (i think the same as Xanas) for 6 years.

When the panic attacka subsided, sometimes i would forget to take the medication and always felt weird symptoms after 3/4 days. Then got awared that it was withdrawal symptoms.

Since last months of medication i was feeling emotional numbness and mainly sexual dysfunction. 

I decided then to ask my GP if I could taper off since I didn't have panic attacks anymore.

She told me firstly that it would me impossible because when there's a chemical unbalance there's nothing to do. But after me insisting a lot she said that I should be in a calm phase of my life to start doing it. So she told me to take minimum doses 37.5 venlafaxine and 0.25 of alprazolam for a month and then 0 of both. The tapering off was ok. The acute withdrawal phase mild.

I got off both at January.

I got the drunk feeling, nightmares, irritability, confusion, cognitive difficulties, etc for a week maybe. After that it was "only" irritability and sensibility to everything. Since i felt pretty normal, despite anxious, but i could deal with it with some physical exercise.

The problem now is that after 8 months suddenly I'm having weird symptoms and for now there's no wrong medical exam.

It all started walking in the street at work lunch time and I felt severe dizziness s. Next day felt the same but before basketball pratice at the end of the day. Next day again at random part of the day. Went to hospital, did blood test and heart ecg and nothing.

Dizziness became more common during the day. Like a vertigo state of mind. While walking i felt unbalanced somrtimea. And witb suddent movements there was mental confusion. I was practice in a basketball team and suddenly I could not run without feeling really dizzy, weak legs, feeling of lanic attack, extreme shakiness, shaky legs, hard coordination (like a delay in intention and body movements, words and thoughts not well articulated.

All this in this summer. I thought i had some hearth problem or hot weather. Did all hearth exams possible: ecg, eco, ecg with running, holter, TILT. All ok. Despite TILT (mixed response) where I almost fainted. But doctor said it is benign and i do not identify it with the symptoms that i have now daily.

I went to a neurologist and I'm waiting to do a mri, and a bunch of other exams.

I now feel like a wave pattern. But it is daily.

For example:

Two days ago i walking around with my girlfriend and i would feel my legs awkward, shaky, and every step i took it looked like there's was adelay in movements, or that feeling walking when you are a bit drunk and you just walk forward like your legs are heavy. Then inside of me i tried to distract my self but my body keeps aware of physical sensations. We went to a quiet restaurant and i felt resting my legs, but suddenly i was rushed with a panic attack. I controled it with deep breaths and we had dinner. After we came back and i felt that leg feeling but not so intense.

Yesterday I woke up with a sense of walking without proper control of leg movement, shaky legs, shaky fingers, switch words in a phrase with mental confusion again. I tried to ignore. I had it all morning and before lunch it got better. Then it got a little worse again until evening when i felt almost normal. It is like a wave pattern. 

Can it be post acute withdrawal. I follow a bunch of topics here but im not sure. This just started all suddenly after 8 months. I can't exercise for 2 months now.

Whenever i start to run. Even if I'm feeling better that day. It turns hell for a couple of minutes. I always played sports but i feel badly weak after 15 min in very low pace at treadmill. There's an extreme dizziness after stopping it (not the one caused by treadmills) but a kind of vertigo where weakness, mental confusion, etc comes back intensely for a coulple of minutes 

There was a week where i slept cery bad for 3 days. Superficial sleep. But then others tha i slept peacefully.

Unexplained Neck back pain for 2 weeks and now disappeared.

One day i had 4 panic attacks im classes. I overcame that hell. And the. The next week i felt pretty normal.

I dont know what this is. And im not in a stressfull part of my life. Im anxious because of symptoms that appear randomly and suddenly.

There's one that is present every day. A low frequency shakiness that is well seen in my fingers. And gets extreme with thise episodes that i told you. 

All the best to you.

(Sorry my english)

2010:

75mg Venlafaxine (effexor)

0.5mg Alprazolam (xanax)

2017 (January) quit meds with GP advise

37.5mg Venlafaxine (1 month taper)

0.5mg Alprazola.

2017 (September)

Sudden weird symptoms. Trying to find the cause.

• ChessieCat changed the title to RiPeDi: 6 years of Effexor and Xanax - off meds and some symptoms appeared after months
  • Administrator

Welcome, RiPeDi.

When you went off venlafaxine and alprazolam, what symptoms did you have? How long did you have them?

Do the dizzy spells occur at any particular time of day?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Bem vindo a batalha eles vão te ajudar aqui

1. Zoloft(Generic)100 mg From 06/06/2016 to 02/10/2016                         
  2. Lexapro(Generic) 20 MG From 03/10/2016 to 05/2017                               Supplements: vitamin complex 
  3. Lexapro (Generic) CT 05/2017 
  4. 6/08/17- reinstated 10mg Lexapro(Generic)(50%of original doses )
  5. 02/11/2017- 9 mg Lexapro(Generic) (10 % rule) (Homemade)
  6. 04/12/2017- 8.75mg Lexapro(Generic)(BrassMonkey slide)
  7. 19/12/2017- 8.5mg Lexapro(Generic)
  8. 06/02/2018- 8.35mg Lexapro (Generic)
  9. 16/2/2018- 8.22mg Lexapro(Generic)
  10. 25/2/2018- 8.09mg Lexapro (Generic)-05/03/2018- 7.9mg Lexapro (Generic)-28/03/2018-7.75mg Lexapro (Generic)-04/04/2018-7.66mg Lexapro (Generic)18/05/2018-7.64mg Lexapro (brand Liquid)
  11. 28/6/2018 7.50mg lexapro (Brand Liquid ) 15/7/2018 7.40 mg Lexapro(brand liquid) 7.30 mg Lexapro(Liquid) 27-07-2018
  12. Forgot to update this but i continued to taper down until 21/12/2019 and final dose was 1.3 mg  Time since Stoping  3y and 4 mouths
  13.  xanax 16-01-2023 started 0.25 whent to 0.5 RX 1 week Back to 0.25 
  14. corrent dose 0.25 devided in 4 parts 
11 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Welcome, RiPeDi.

When you went off venlafaxine and alprazolam, what symptoms did you have? How long did you have them?

Do the dizzy spells occur at any particular time of day?

I went off both at January 2017. I felt "drunk" dizziness, and vertigo, but tolerable. I felt irritability, emotional sensibility, nightmares and couldn't have a rest sleep maybe for a week. But i could manage them distracting myself studying, running or take a walk.

All together in one week.

From January to September i only felt emotional instability but nothing to worry because i didn't have any physical symptoms.

Since September. It all started with dizzy spells. It is like a big vertigo comingf from nothing and then it stays for the day or a period of the day and appears and disappears with no association. Examples:

The dizzy spells, or i would say vertigo have no pattern i believe. September and October, all day i was having this kind of instability or unbalance. It intensified with exercise, i mean, i can't exercise. There's a huge mental confusion, discordination, movement delays, after trying to run for a couple of minutes. 

Also everyday i feel muscle twitching. 

Now in December, the vertigo is not so intense, there's much less muscle twitching, but others symptoms come and go.

Example: this weekend i would feel like heavy legs and fatigue walking. Shaky legs and hands. Insomnia. Brain contractions. At random parts of the day.

Last week i was feeling it at the evening.

Today i woke up okay. But at mid morning i get random brain contractions. Like your brain is shrinking or moving.

Have no anxiety at all. I just get anxiois after the symptoms afraid it is something else.

There were days that I would get a panic attack after a short headache before sleep.

Algo when going to sleep i feel that falling symptom, or that a breath is missed. Right at the time when falling into sleep.

2010:

0.5mg Alprazolam (xanax)

0.5mg Alprazola.

2017 (September)

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to survivingantidepressants RiPeDi. 

It certainly does sound like you are experiencing withdrawal(W/D) symptoms from your medication cessation.  Oftentimes the prescribers' of these medications use a manner of getting people off the meds/drugs, that results in some significant difficulties.  Sometimes immediately felt and/or often protracted(lingering or reappearing later).

It does sound like you have had, and are going to do further medical investigation, into your symptoms.   And have read some on this site already, which explains what is happening.  Sometimes knowledge helps a lot.  However........you may not meet a medical professional who gives your new knowledge the time of day(any validity).  This frequently happens to us.

Good job on your signature.  As well as the further breakdown of symptoms that Alto asked you for.

Welcome again.  I'll work on getting you some more links/information later........there is a ton of collective wisdom here that I think you may benefit from.  Or another more experienced "linker" might beat me to it.......:blink::)

Best, Love, peace, healing/"in recovery", and growth,

manymoretodays

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• Administrator

Yes, this is withdrawal syndrome. It's a good sign that the symptoms are getting weaker. Waves and windows of symptoms are typical, see The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Treat yourself very gently during this time, your nervous system needs calm and low-stress, as it's telling you with the exercise intolerance. Try to get at least a half-hour of gentle exercise, such as walking, every day. Eventually, you'll be able to do more.

Many people do better with fish oil and magnesium supplements, see
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

A lot of people find them helpful. Try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, RiPeDi, 

Here are some other helpful links dealing with withdrawal:

Dr. Joseph Glenmullen's withdrawal symptom checklist

Brain Remodelling

What is Withdrawal Syndrome?

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there, 

Giving you an update, I have some symptoms daily that come and go. I also have panic attacks.

I did an MRI last friday so next week i'll have the result.

I have been experiencing everyday:

- muscle twitching all over the body, mostly in my legs after little effort, face, hands, arms, abs, back after carry backpack.

-the brain contraction eased a little bit but i still feel the weird sensation but mostly like lightheadness.

-constant unsteadiness all day. I started to take pills to vertigo but not helping. When i walk in the city it is impossible to not be worried with this sense of unsteadiness/delay movememt/boat sensation. And if i push a little bit it feels like i'm going to get an epileptic episode (i didnt have none, but im afraid of having one because all the symptoms that i feel when puahong my body a little bit)

Before taking the meds years ago i rebember i felt this weird symptoms that i cannnot push my body too hard. But disapeared when i started medication

Maybe this is a relapse? Should i reinstate? 

2010:

0.5mg Alprazolam (xanax)

0.5mg Alprazola.

2017 (September)

56 minutes ago, RiPeDi said:

I have been experiencing everyday:

- muscle twitching all over the body, mostly in my legs after little effort, face, hands, arms, abs, back after carry backpack.

-the brain contraction eased a little bit but i still feel the weird sensation but mostly like lightheadness.

-constant unsteadiness all day. I started to take pills to vertigo but not helping. When i walk in the city it is impossible to not be worried with this sense of unsteadiness/delay movememt/boat sensation. And if i push a little bit it feels like i'm going to get an epileptic episode (i didnt have none, but im afraid of having one because all the symptoms that i feel when puahong my body a little bit)

Before taking the meds years ago i rebember i felt this weird symptoms that i cannnot push my body too hard. But disapeared when i started medication

Maybe this is a relapse? Should i reinstate? 

Hi RIPeDi,

I hope one of the moderators has a suggestion for you.  Are you under particular stress today?  Holiday stress?  How long have you been feeling this way?  If our recovery is non-linear, I would expect former symptoms to pop up erratically for some time.  They are particularly distressing after a period of windows, and in your case an extended window period.  Hopefully, if you hang in there, you will get back to stability.  I certainly wish you strength and good healing.  I'm reading Claire Weeks (sp?) Relief From Nervous Suffering, and she says the fear of the symptoms is more distressing than the symptoms themselves, and that if we can accept the symptoms and let time pass, they will have no power.  I don't know if it works, but I'm trying to "float" by them.

Best,

RealMe

Alcohol periodic excessive 1963-1976, Valium sporadic 1964-1973,  Imipramine off & on 1982-1985, Fluoxetine 10mg-80 mg. Oct., 1995-Jan., 2014; Cymbalta, other ADs 1/2014-3/2014; Abilify 5 mg. 3/2014 - 8/8/17; Trintellix 20 mg. 3/2014 - 9/2017; Propranolol 60-80 mg. sporadically Sept-Oct, 2017; Seroquel few days Sept 2017 (c/t); Wellbutrin 150 mg. Sept, 2017 updosed to 300 mg. few days till c/t Oct 8, 2017, fish oil, vitD, vitE Oct 16, 2017-pres. Lipoflavonoid 4/2017-pres.  Fluoxetine 10 mg. Sept-Oct 8, 2017, 20 mg. 10/9- 10/15; 10 mg. 10/16 - 12/29;  9 mg. 12/30 - 2/9; 2 mL liquid (8.1mg) 2/10 - 3/7; 1.8 mL (7.29 mg) 3/8 -3/20; 1.6 mL (6.561mg) 3/20-4/2; 1.4 mL (5.9 mg) 4/3-4/14; 1mL (4 mg.) 4/15-4/22; .9mL (3.6mg) 4/23-5/1; .81mL (3.24 mg) 5/2-5/24; .73mL (2.916mg.) 5/25-6/8; .65mL 6/9-6/23; .6mL 6/24-7/17; .58mL 7/18-7/28; .525mL 7/29-8/13; .5 mL 8/14-21; .45mL 8/22-31; .4mL 9/2-21; .35mL 9/22-10/4; .3mL 10/5-28; .25mL 10/28-11/10; .2mL 11/11-11/24; .18mL 11/25-12/3; .1mL 12/4-12/18. Zero-12/19/18-present.

• Administrator

RiPeDi, can you get fish oil and magnesium supplements? Magnesium in particular can reduce the muscle symptoms.

• ChessieCat changed the title to RiPeDi: Off meds and symptoms appeared suddenly after 8 months.