SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

RuthS

Thanks for your thoughts on phenibut.  I have heard it can be addictive as well.  Good luck on the remainder of your taper.

Paxil 25 mg — January 2010 — June 2012

Wellbutrin 300 mg — December 2012 — September 2016

Prozac 20 mg — December 2012 — September 2016

Trazadone — 100 mg December 2012 — September 2016

10 mg Prozac — October 2016 — November 2017

25 mg Trazadone — October 2016 — present

8 mg Liquid Prozac November 2017 — present

• Moderator Emeritus

Here's what we've got on Kavinance, Phenibut, or PhenylGABA for sleep

" As with benzos and other neurologically active drugs, tapering is required if you use phenibut regularly. Its withdrawal syndrome is very similar to a benzo withdrawal syndrome, with sleeplessness being prominent. " (taken from the link)

More posts on the subject, can be found with a site search on phenibut.  There's a number of posts saying NOT to use it, and why.

It's not something we endorse here.

I've been tapering down my melatonin successfully.  I was on 3 mg and now do just fine with 1 mg.  Yes, definitely easier than using the Phenibut, I expect.

Just adding my 2 cents as well. B)

Thanks Idlehnds, for sharing your experience too.

Love, peace, healing, and growth,

mmt

Edited by manymoretodays

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• 3 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi there,

The staff at SA are wondering how you are.  We'd love to hear how you are doing now.   Would you mind dropping by and giving an update?

Thanks.

CC

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Thanks for checking in.  I am still off the Prozac.  However, I had some anxiety and insomnia so I started taking 25-50 mg of Trazadone in December, which has helped a lot.  I don’t feel too bad because 50 mg of Trazadone is still a low dose and when I follow my diet I feel great.  I spmeyimez even sleep through the night without waking.  

I ate a lot of sugar and refined carbohydrates in December, which caused the anxiety.   It’s the reactive hypoglycemia/cortisol roller coaster.  The holidays are always stressful and hard for me.  But they’re over now.

The anxiety always subsides when I eat right and exercise.  Nothing too intense; mostly walking.    After two days of good eating I am already feeling better.  The paleo diet works best for me along with gentle exercise and meditation.  

I plan to taper off the Trazadone in the spring, if not before.  For now, I Xmas enjoying some sleep.  

Wishing everyone success.

Ruth

• Administrator
1 minute ago, RuthS said:

I spmeyimez even sleep through the night without waking.

Maybe this is "sometimes even sleep through the night without waking"?

Ruth, you went off the last of the Prozac in September?

When did the anxiety start? What did it feel like? When did you start trazodone again?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Yes, I sometimes sleep the night.  And I took my last dose of Prozac in August.

I have had anxiety on and off since August.  It feels like fear. I worry about things unnecessarily and my body feels tense.  

I get anxiety whenever I eat refined carbohydrates or drink any amount of alcohol or even too much fruit!   I have reactive hypoglycaemia which causes a spike in cortisol, the flight or fight hormone that causes anxiety.  As long as I eat a paleo diet without too much fruit, I’m fine, I.e, little to no anxiety.  But I ate a lot of carbs foods around Thanksgiving and into December.  I also drank wine on several days, and started not sleeping well.  So then I started the Trazadone in mid-December to get through the holidays.  

I didn’t get back on the strict diet until two days ago, but I’m beginning to feel less anxious already.  

• Administrator

Please take care of yourself and avoid those carbs!

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• 5 months later...

I just wanted to send an update on my recovery.  I stopped taking Trazadone in April and I have been completely drug free since then.  I keep getting better and better.  I have no symptoms of depression or anxiety at all.  However, I was still having trouble sleeping.  I’m a 45 year old woman and I thought maybe my insomnia was caused, not by antidepressant withdrawal, but by a drop in my hormones due to menopause.  Low progesterone can cause insomnia.  I asked my doctor for bio-identical progesterone (a.k.a Prometrium) and it has been nothing short of amazing!!!!  I take 100-200 mg at night and sleep like a child—a deep sound sleep.  The sleep I am getting is very restorative.

After taking it for a few months, I felt as well as I did before ever taking antidepressants and I wondered if the bio-identical progesterone had healing effects on my nervous system.  I did a little research and, lo and behold, it does!!!!  Progesterone is neuroprotective, repairs myelin, and other parts of the nervous system.  Researchers are investigating it as a possible treatment for brain damage caused by strokes or traumatic brain injury.  

Bio-identical progesterone is chemically identical to the progesterone made by the human body.  It is different from the synthetic progestins found in birth control pills and Provera.  Prometrium is the brand name.  It is made with peanut oil, but if you have a peanut allergy or sensitivity, you can get it without peanut oil from a compounding pharmacy.  

I just wanted to share this information because it has helped me so much.  I feel really great.  I also still take a B complex, extra methylated folate (because I have MTHFR), vitamin D, B-12 shots (because I have snps in my MTR and MTRR genes that cause me to use up B-12 faster than normal), and fish oil.  I try to walk or jog daily, drink lots of water, and get good sleep.  

I hope this this information is helpful to those still working on the taper.  I went through hell, but I am much better now.  

• 4 months later...

Hello,

I finished my taper in August 2018, fifteen months ago.  I have continued to improve and wanted to share some things I learned along the way.  I have a snps in many of the genes involved in methylation such as MTHFR that can cause depression and anxiety.  I started  following the dietary recommendations of Chris Masterjohn of chrismasterjohnphd.com and my symptoms have completely vanished.  No more agitation, anxiety, or depression.  I highly recommend you check out his website for valuable information on methylation and nutrition.

Thanks to Dr. Masterjohn, I also discovered the work of Weston A Price and read his fascinating book called Nutrition and Physical Degeneration.  It seems that my snps don’t matter if I obey Mother Nature and eat a nutrient dense diet that provides all the nutrients I need to support methylation.  I have started eating liver once a week.  I don’t enjoy it; I take it like medicine and it works!   I also eat eggs almost everyday and supplement with glycine.  Since incorporating these foods into my diet, my agitation and anxiety have completely resolved.  I am also sleeping great.  I also eat a lot of vegetables and take a trace minerals supplement with nutritional doses ( the amounts you would get from diet) as opposed to massive pharmacological doses that I think override you system like drugs.  I now believe that if we work with Mother Nature rather than trying to control her, we are better off.  Dr. Weston A. Price said:  “Life in all its fullness is Mother Nature obeyed.”  

I wish everyone endeavoring to get off their drugs the best of success.  Keep plugging away.  It’s hard, but if you persevere, you will make it!

• manymoretodays unlocked this topic
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi RuthS,

I'm one of the moderators here.  I've been taking a bit of time off, yet still reading from time to time and following here.  I noticed a couple new posts from you this morning and had remembered you from less than a year ago.  I had meant to get your posts altogether in your original introduction then.  Apologies.  And of course you are still a success, as you continue to heal......no doubt in my mind about that!

I've reopened your main introduction today,  and am going to move your posts in our success stories back there/here for now.  This is your introduction page, and a great place for you to keep us updated and informed.  @RuthS

The Success Stories forum is reserved for those who have been off all drugs,  ADs(antidepressants) and others, for a year.

How to write your success story

On 11/16/2012 at 9:24 AM, Altostrata said:

If your withdrawal syndrome is completely resolved -- you've been off ALL drugs for a year -- please open a topic for yourself here.

Have you completed your Trazodone taper?  Can you tell us a bit more about the Trazodone taper?  Or how you came off of it, if that is the case.  And okay, I'm seeing that you may have come off of the Trazodone in 2019 April(finding that in your narratives).

On 1/6/2019 at 8:04 PM, RuthS said:

However, I had some anxiety and insomnia so I started taking 25-50 mg of Trazadone in December, which has helped a lot.  I don’t feel too bad because 50 mg of Trazadone is still a low dose and when I follow my diet I feel great.  I spmeyimez even sleep through the night without waking.  

On 1/6/2019 at 8:04 PM, RuthS said:

I plan to taper off the Trazadone in the spring, if not before.  For now, I Xmas enjoying some sleep.

Presently your signature looks like this:

Signatures are seen below each members postings.  To edit and update yours, please go to:  Account Settings

You may want to look at the first post in: Please put your withdrawal history in your signature  before updating and editing and then, please ask, right here, if you need help with this.

We welcome you back and thank you for posting encouragement and support to other members too, RuthS.

Love, peace, healing, and growth,

mmt(manymoretodays)

Edited by manymoretodays
spacing and other goobly goo

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• Administrator

Green leafy vegetables for the win! What was your diet like before you remodeled it?

Because you're feeling better, I added our cheerful "here comes the sun" symbol ☼ to the title of your Intro topic, to show you're recovering.

Please continue to let us know how you're doing. I hope you will add your story to our Recovery Success Stories eventually!