SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Hello all,

I have been taking sertraline for some years now for clinical depression. When I started to quit smoking, I took a course of Zyban for 4 months. I felt better almost immediately as the anti depressant effects of the drug made me feel sunnier. When the drug ran out, I felt awful and tried to get it again, but in Australia, it can't be prescribed twice within a year period.  After a couple of years I had it prescribed again. I ran out a few days ago, and feel anxious and upset. I hadn't been told about tapering off the drug, but as I was loathe to give it up, I took 150 per day instead of 300 to make it last longer. I previously asked a doctor to prescribe me Zyban instead of Sertraline but he said no. Zyban wasn't for anti depressant use. I'm scared I'll get suicidal again which I haven't been for about a year. Has anyone successfully swapped sertraline for Wellbutrin?

• Administrator

Welcome, Kirst.

As this is a site for going off drugs, we don't usually counsel people about enhancing their drug cocktails or drug swapping, unless it's in the service of going off drugs altogether.

I'm sure many doctors will tell you many people successfully swap sertraline for Wellbutrin. Please be aware that even though you might be taking a new antidepressant, you may suffer withdrawal from the old antidepressant. Doing something called "cross-tapering" is easier on your system, ask your doctor about that.

You may find more information about swapping antidepressants on sites like depressionforums.org or PatientsLikeMe, both sites which will run ads selling you on more drugs.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thank you. I do indeed want to be rid of medications altogether. I'm just looking for advice on how best to taper off them. I didn't expect the Zyban withdrawal. Thanks.

• Administrator

Oh, sorry, do you mean swapping Wellbutrin for Zyban to reduce Zyban withdrawal?

As they both contain bupropion, yes, Wellbutrin could substitute for Zyban. To avoid adverse effects, you might try a dosage of the Wellbutrin SR (sustained-release) that is a quarter of the amount of buproprion in the Zyban you were taking.

Info https://www.drugs.com/pro/zyban.html

Please let us know how you do.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.