89abc123: recovering from Lexapro

89abc123

Hey guys,

ive been lurking on this forum for a while but decided to sign up and join in with the discussions and be a part of this community that I'm both grateful and resentful of (only resentful because none of us should have ever been put on these drugs in the first place).

i was on lexapro for 4 years from the age of 21 - 25 and like all of you I've never been the same since.

i won't bore you with the symptoms because you all have been through them yourselves. I'm pleased to say that I am seriously noticing improvements. March 2018 will be the 3 year mark of antidepressant withdrawal for me. Through the help of neurofeedback I've been able to regain some cognitive function and am so much more stable than I was 2 - 3 years ago. I've been able to work full time without a significant amount of sick days, I've gotten back into the gym and lost 12 kilos and The emotional lows and crying spells are happening less and less often. I've also been able to self motivate some online study which I struggled to do even before ever touching ssri's.

my main concern now is persisting pssd and anhedonia. I have read on these forums that these are usually the last things to recover. I guess I just need some reassurance that I'll one day be back to normal emotionally. Being a young single woman who can't orgasm brings about many challenges especially in today's hook up culture. 

Ive had some improvements in my sexual functioning. I can feel my muscles contracting when I orgasm but there's no pleasure there. I still have the desire and arousal but the arousal sensation is not as strong either.

Im hoping for my recovery story someday...as I hope all of you get yours too.

• Administrator

Welcome, abc.

First, let us all celebrate your improvement, and those gradual but frustrating signs it will continue.

As you've read here, it can take some number of years to fully recover. What were your most severe symptoms a year ago? What helped?

Many people do better with fish oil and magnesium supplements, see
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

A lot of people find them helpful. Try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Altostrata changed the title to 89abc123 Recovering from lexapro

Thanks for the encouraging message alto!

A year or more ago my worst symptoms were severe depression, severe brain fog, unable to concentrate, development of caffeine intolerance and severe emotional spirals. 

A lot of that has changed. I feel more stable and clear. I still have trouble with memory and concentration though.  

My worst symptoms now as I said are emotional flatness, pssd and my general vagueness. I have noticed that I have started getting chills before orgasm (pleasureless weak orgasm lol) so I'm not sure if that is a sign I am getting better.

thankyou for suggesting the supplements. I do take fish oil at a high dose and have found it helpful, but have days where I forget to take it. 

I'll really just continue to ride this one out.

• 2 years later...

@89abc123, how are you doing these days? 

2nd of April 2020 - 7th of April 2020 Sertraline 50 mg (adverse reaction).

2nd of August 2020 Omega 3 fish oil 1000mg (currently on).

• ChessieCat changed the title to 89abc123: recovering from Lexapro
  • 3 years later...

Hello @89abc123how are you doing now?

01/2017-12/2022 ~6 Years on Generic Escilitopram (5mg-20mg) because of repetitive panic attacks and anxiety that lead to depression. My tapering was not tapering as I read here. I consider it CT because of wrong directions of docs, I went from 20mg to 5mg in a short amount of time and then jumped to 0mg.

•01/07/23 Took maca root powder for pssd for 4 days only which I think worsened my symptoms a lot.(Not sure if that was the cause or what came was supposed to come)
•15/07/23-01/08/23 Prebagalin) 2x50mg

01/08/23 - 05/08/23.  75x50mg

06/08/23 - 18/08/23 2x75mg an then reduced 19/09/23 - 23-09 to 75x50mg 

24/09/23 - 1/12/23 2x50mg.

1/12/22- ongoing  2x45mg( on first week of December happened a mistake in liquid I made and took 4  times double dose  )

15/01/24 -  ongoing occasional 5mg  diazepam for anxiety.