SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Chocolate & withdrawal... potential trigger?

NoMoreADs

From what I understand, chocolate actually increases serotonin. Will ingesting a little bit of chocolate set my brain back from healing?

• 1992-Feb. 2016- Took almost every antidepressant on the market. Cold turkeyed most of the medications I took.

Stopped taking Paxil February 8 2016. I tapered the dose from 50 mg to 0 over the course of about 10 weeks

On no medications as of Feb. 8, 2016

As of 10/23/16-Still unable to sleep more than 4 to 5 hours a night, sometimes less

• Moderator Emeritus

It's unlikely.  If you're concerned, keep track of your symptoms on paper. Be sure to include the time that you take your meds doses and when you eat chocolate. Then after a few days, review your notes. Do you see a pattern related to the time of your chocolate consumption?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

It's unlikely.  If you're concerned, keep track of your symptoms on paper. Be sure to include the time that you take your meds doses and when you eat chocolate. Then after a few days, review your notes. Do you see a pattern related to the time of your chocolate consumption?

Hi, I can't really say that chocolate had an effect on my symptoms. 

• 1992-Feb. 2016- Took almost every antidepressant on the market. Cold turkeyed most of the medications I took.

Stopped taking Paxil February 8 2016. I tapered the dose from 50 mg to 0 over the course of about 10 weeks

As of 10/23/16-Still unable to sleep more than 4 to 5 hours a night, sometimes less

• Moderator Emeritus

I've discovered that I can handle about 1 small 'square' of chocolate, and any more makes my symptoms ramp up a bit.  You'll be able to work out your personal limit over time. 

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

I've discovered that I can handle about 1 small 'square' of chocolate, and any more makes my symptoms ramp up a bit.  You'll be able to work out your personal limit over time. 

Thanks for the insight. I appreciate it. Did you have really bad insomnia for many months after you quit taking your antidepressant by the way?

• Moderator Emeritus

Well I haven't actually quit yet, but once I started tapering I did experience moderately bad insomnia.  Not as bad as some here, but not too good either.  It improved a bit when I got to a more appropriate reduction rate, and then improved vastly once I started taking MSM.  For the last weeks - maybe a month or so now - my sleep has actually been perfect, or very close to it. 

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

• 2 weeks later...

I ate 4 Belgium chocolates saturday night and had a terrible stomach, another thing I can no longer tolerate. Life can be cruel.

Started Fluoxetine 40mg In 2010

Switched to citalopram 2011.Fluoxetine made me very drowsy.

Came off citalopram 2014 over 2 weeks tapering as advised by GP. Mild WD symptoms, brain zaps.

Almost 2 years med free, happy and less anxiety.

June 2016 start 20mg citalopram for anxiety, experince akathisa, intrusive harming thoughts, hallucinations, hypermania, negative ruminations, insomnia, no appetite, dioreah, racing thoughts/mind chatter.

Droped to 10mg for 1 week after 10 days on 20mg, then 1 week at 15mg by alternating doses then 1 week at 20mg before dropping to 10mg again for 1 week then 5 days at 5mg. Quick taper due to reaction.

Started .5mg lorozepam/ 2.5mg diazepam every other day from week 2 on cit sometimes daily for about 2 weeks stopped CT as was put on 25mg quetiapine.

Stopped cit 01/8/16. Stopped quetiapine 3/8/16

Taking fish oil

• 1 year later...

I had a pretty good day today, good sleep last night. Shivers and fog started around 3pm (6 1/2 hours ago), but were slight and quickly passed.

I just had some chocolate, maybe equivalent to a bar and a half. Now my pulse seems to be throbbing in my ears. I'm edgy and having a hard time concentrating. The blood boiling sensation is back, even though I'm not hot. I'm getting a stress headache and wondering if I should take a Tylenol, but my biggest question is, has anyone ever had some chocolate, or caffeine, and had their withdrawal symptoms either reappear or increase?

My son is in the other room with his gf, they are watching something on Youtube, kinda sounds like Mickey Mouse on helium... I'm ready to barge in there, rip the computer out of their hands, throw it, and the tv out the window. Overreactive I realize, but quite justified, if you ask me.

My memory is a sieve.  What I can remember:

2006- Effexor started at 75mg upped to 300mg

somewhere after 2008- Switched to Cipralex started at 5mg upped to 20mg

2017- added Wellbutrin 150mg to Cipralex 20mg

occasional use of Ativan 0.5mg sublingual, usually given 7-10 tabs  -- (last used Nov 2017 ... previous? my mom's death probably? 2013)

Cold turkey Nov 13, 2017 (used Ativan once a day when it was unbearable until Rx finished)

24 Jan. 2018 - Reinstated Cipralex 5mg

31 Jan. 2018 - started Cetirizine Hydrochloride for severe allergies due to tattoo --- stopped 24 Feb. 2018

26 Feb. 2018 - Coversyl 4mg

Currently: 5mg Cipralex , 16mg Serc (for Meniere's), 4mg Coversyl (high blood pressure)

Supplements: 300mg Magnesium

Hi JustcallmeJane,

It is quite common when you are experiencing WDS, to find your self reacting to certain type of foods/suppliments, that trigger WDS.

That happened to me the other day,  I had coffee ice-cream,and experienced  WDS trigger.  I normally avoid caffeine,  but I felt like having some coffee ice cream.  I felt really weird and had hard time falling asleep. 

Try to avoid chocolate if you can help your self. I know that is really hard.

Who doesn't love a bit of chocolate? 

Do you experience WDS if you have cinnamon or similar type spices?

I do, I avoid those too.

I hope that I have answered your question. 

Take care,  Hopefull.

DRUG HISTORY:

November 2013- Zoloft, ( Bad reaction).

January 2014 - March 2014 Seroquel.( Quit Cold Turkey).

January2014- Mirtazapine, I was taking 15mg at one stage, reduced to 7.5mg, Pgad reactions to Mirtazapine. Doctor kept increasing it to 37.5mg, until July 2014. No improvement, experiencing panic attacks, on 37.5 mg. I had enough by October 2014. Began tapering.

October 2014- Started tapering Mirtazapine from 37.5mg.

September 2015- Down to 4mg of Mirtazapine. Crashed.

September 16th- Up dosed to 5mg. Held this dose for almost 5 months. Stabilised.

February 2016- Began tapering again. From 5mg to 4.5mg of Mirtazapine. (Rocking the boat, again)! Lol. :(

Hi Hopefull, love the nick

It wouldn't surprise me that I'm sensitive to chocolate, as once I calmed down later last night, I remembered how it made me feel during pregnancy. That being said, my husband believes it to be either more due to the stress of our son (being home, university itself, and other factors) that brought on the WDS.

I had a Cinnabon yesterday morning with no adverse signs, so I don't think I have to worry about cinnamon.

Thanks for the pop in, it's nice to know that someone else has had these experiences.

occasional use of Ativan 0.5mg sublingual, usually given 7-10 tabs  -- (last used Nov 2017 ... previous? my mom's death probably? 2013)

Cold turkey Nov 13, 2017 (used Ativan once a day when it was unbearable until Rx finished)

31 Jan. 2018 - started Cetirizine Hydrochloride for severe allergies due to tattoo --- stopped 24 Feb. 2018

Currently: 5mg Cipralex , 16mg Serc (for Meniere's), 4mg Coversyl (high blood pressure)

Justcallmejane,

Your welcome.  Take care,  Hopefull.

DRUG HISTORY:

November 2013- Zoloft, ( Bad reaction).

January 2014 - March 2014 Seroquel.( Quit Cold Turkey).

January2014- Mirtazapine, I was taking 15mg at one stage, reduced to 7.5mg, Pgad reactions to Mirtazapine. Doctor kept increasing it to 37.5mg, until July 2014. No improvement, experiencing panic attacks, on 37.5 mg. I had enough by October 2014. Began tapering.

October 2014- Started tapering Mirtazapine from 37.5mg.

September 2015- Down to 4mg of Mirtazapine. Crashed.

September 16th- Up dosed to 5mg. Held this dose for almost 5 months. Stabilised.

February 2016- Began tapering again. From 5mg to 4.5mg of Mirtazapine. (Rocking the boat, again)! Lol. :(

• Mentor

I have had trouble with caffeine and chocolate and anything with a lot of sugar or simple carbs.

This was esp true early in my taper. Now I am able to have some chocolate and other treats, even the rare half a cup of decaf coffee, without any serious effects.

as long as you are paying attention to your body, you can figure out what things you're now sensitive to, and  adjust your diet accordingly.

don't be surprised if the things that bother you changes over time, and don't be discouraged if you have trouble with something you love, because chances are, you'll be able to enjoy it again at a later time in your recovery.

then too, as your husband mentioned, it may be due to other stressors in your life. 

glad you're feeling better now

• pysch med history: 1974 @ age 18 to Oct 2017 (approx 43 yrs total) 
  •  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  2013 too fast taper down to 5mg but WD forced me back to 20mgs
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Tapered off to zero by  Oct. 2017 Doing very well. 
  • Nov. 2018 feel 95% healed, age 63 
  • Jan. 2020 feel 100% healed, peaceful and content
  • Dec 2023 Loving life! ❤️ with all it's ups and downs ;) 

Hey Happy, thanks for the pop in. I have come to the realization that sugars and caffeine do affect me. I'm doing my best to avoid these, however, the Christmas holiday bakings are so darned tasty!

• Administrator

That's a lot of chocolate! Might be a good idea not to eat any for a few weeks, and then only small amounts, you might be sensitized to it.

Please note chocolate probably doesn't affect serotonin in any significant way. However, it often contains caffeine and it always contains histamine and tyramine, substances that sensitive nervous systems might find activating.

Edited by Altostrata
merged related topics

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

5 hours ago, Altostrata said:

That's a lot of chocolate! Might be a good idea not to eat any for a few weeks, and then only small amounts, you might be sensitized to it.

Chocolate's always been my drug of choice. In fact, I'm pretty sure my blood is 99% chocolate. I guess for most people that would have been considered a lot of chocolate. However, for me, that was a nibble. A bad day of emotional eating can easily bring me to devouring a pound of chocolate without even blinking an eye. I have been known to repurchase Easter or Halloween candy 3 or 4 times due to eating them beforehand. 

I don't smoke, drink or do drugs, aside from those prescribed... I chocolate :) But I will definitely refrain from this habit since it seems to affect my WDS.

• 2 years later...

Can definitely relate to chocolate enhancing withdrawl symptoms. Last years i had no problems with it, but now since 11/2019 it increases WD symptoms. That goes for caffeine too. Looking forward to being able to eat/drink these products again. In WD since 6 months now. Sometimes balance seems just around the corner but it doesn't really kick in. Never using diclofenac again. Ever. 

• 45 years old male
  • job in spatial planning
  • into sports, animals and nature
  • Started using 20 mg Paroxetine (Paxil) in 2004 for stressrelated anxiety/depression
  • Attempted several times to stop, starting a few years after 2004
  • Found out in 2015 about paxil withdrawal symptoms and the 5-10% taper guideline
  • Started using liquid paxil in 2015/2016
  • 2018 --> 11.2 mg of paxil
  • 2019-2023 developed severe food- and other sensitivities (anti imflammatory, anti oxidant, food colourings, oils, herbs, chemicals etc.)
  • 12/2023 Poop-out/tolerance, introducing brassmonkey slide method 0.1mg/week
  • 26/1/2024 10 mg (journey halfway).

Hello,

I have been eating chocolate for 3 days and it has been worse
Do I understand that this affects withdrawal symptoms more strongly?

Xanax 0,5mg 1999-2019 a Xanax 0,5mg paar korda kuus, vajadusel

Cymbalta 30mg 2012-25.04.2018 kitsenev 2-3 kuud,rasked sümptomid 1 nädal pärast viimast annust

Amitriptüliin 25mg 25.05.18-20.01.19 ,kitsenev 2-3 kuuga, unetus, paanika-ärevus, segasusseisund, iiveldus

Valdoxan 25mg 10.02.19-10.03.19, ei stabiliseerinud olukorda, Lorasepaam 10.02.19-20.02.19 vajadusel üleöö

Brintellix 5mg 10.03.19-30.06.19 ,ei stabiliseerinud olukorda, hirme, segasust ja unetust, olin haiglas 1 nädal

Olansapiin 5mg 01.03.19-02.08.19,unetuse leevendamiseks suureneb segasus, suureneb depressioon, tekib raske akatiisia Cymbalta 30mg 30.06.19-01.08.19,ei tööta enam, olukord ei stabiliseeru, jälle haiglas 2 nädalat

Levomepromasiin 5mg 03.08.19-20.12.19 aitas magada, kuid suurendas segadust ja depressiooni

Anafraniil 75mg03.08.19-15.12.19  15.12.19 , 35mg  17.05.20  , 27mg 01.01.21 16.07.21 oli päevane A19 mg 01.04.22 11mg 01.11.22 8,6mg, 01.11.23 6,5mg 01.01.24 5mg

1 hour ago, Estman said:

Hello,

I have been eating chocolate for 3 days and it has been worse
Do I understand that this affects withdrawal symptoms more strongly?

Absolutely, sugar can send me off into a wave. Unfortunate, but true. I find that if I have it just once and a small amount, I'm okay....but the problem is, I seem to eat it once and then have it a few days....it's so addictive, that danged sugar......and then experience worse symptoms. Am currently experimenting with cutting out for a month and then just having a small amount, once in the month, as a little treat.

January 2008 to April 2015 Citalopram 20mg to 5mg, reducing in 50 per cent leaps. Jumped off at 5mg

March 2016 used MDMA triggered setback

April 2016 Citalopram 10mg October 2016 cut to 5mg, May 2017 cut to 2.5mg

May 2018 used MDMA triggered setback

June 2018 Citalopram 2.5mg up to 10mg, then back to 5mg

July/ August 2018 7.5mg, then 10mg

June 2019 updosed to 20mg Citalopram

August 2019 cold switch to Venlafaxine 75mg XR

Supplements; 1100mg fish oil daily; also 100mg Magnesium Glycinate. Tried Vagifem 10mcg from mid May 2021 to mid June 2021; caused depression, so stopped.

Ah, god, but this is such a bummer! WHYYYYYYY?? It's so unfair. Sugar really makes me crash, but I should add, I'n not exactly good at having 'just a bit' of chocolate. I tend to have a bit and then have a bit more over the next couple of days and that never works out well. It sends me into a wave. Currently am cutting out sugar for a month or two and will then experiment with having a little bit, just for one day, and seeing what happens. If necessary, will cut it out until more stable :(

January 2008 to April 2015 Citalopram 20mg to 5mg, reducing in 50 per cent leaps. Jumped off at 5mg

March 2016 used MDMA triggered setback

April 2016 Citalopram 10mg October 2016 cut to 5mg, May 2017 cut to 2.5mg

May 2018 used MDMA triggered setback

June 2018 Citalopram 2.5mg up to 10mg, then back to 5mg

July/ August 2018 7.5mg, then 10mg

June 2019 updosed to 20mg Citalopram

August 2019 cold switch to Venlafaxine 75mg XR

Supplements; 1100mg fish oil daily; also 100mg Magnesium Glycinate. Tried Vagifem 10mcg from mid May 2021 to mid June 2021; caused depression, so stopped.

I also give up chocolate
I have used honey every day
Can it also stimulate-irritate?

Cymbalta 30mg 2012-25.04.2018 kitsenev 2-3 kuud,rasked sümptomid 1 nädal pärast viimast annust

Amitriptüliin 25mg 25.05.18-20.01.19 ,kitsenev 2-3 kuuga, unetus, paanika-ärevus, segasusseisund, iiveldus

Valdoxan 25mg 10.02.19-10.03.19, ei stabiliseerinud olukorda, Lorasepaam 10.02.19-20.02.19 vajadusel üleöö

Brintellix 5mg 10.03.19-30.06.19 ,ei stabiliseerinud olukorda, hirme, segasust ja unetust, olin haiglas 1 nädal

Olansapiin 5mg 01.03.19-02.08.19,unetuse leevendamiseks suureneb segasus, suureneb depressioon, tekib raske akatiisia Cymbalta 30mg 30.06.19-01.08.19,ei tööta enam, olukord ei stabiliseeru, jälle haiglas 2 nädalat

Levomepromasiin 5mg 03.08.19-20.12.19 aitas magada, kuid suurendas segadust ja depressiooni

Anafraniil 75mg03.08.19-15.12.19  15.12.19 , 35mg  17.05.20  , 27mg 01.01.21 16.07.21 oli päevane A19 mg 01.04.22 11mg 01.11.22 8,6mg, 01.11.23 6,5mg 01.01.24 5mg

Chocolate and also most teas contain cafeïne this particularly enhances wd. So avoid icecreams, cookies and chocbars containing chocolate. 

• 45 years old male
  • Started using 20 mg Paroxetine (Paxil) in 2004 for stressrelated anxiety/depression
  • Found out in 2015 about paxil withdrawal symptoms and the 5-10% taper guideline
  • 2019-2023 developed severe food- and other sensitivities (anti imflammatory, anti oxidant, food colourings, oils, herbs, chemicals etc.)

Yes honey contains a lot of sugar.

• 45 years old male

How you have given up sugar and sweets has helped to reduce withdrawal symptoms
I have added honey to the tea because I have bees

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy