☼ Ippia: My story

Ippia

Hello everyone
this is my first post on SA, although I read here since 2015. I’m a 37 old male from Italy, so forgive me for my poor English. I wish to express my gratitude for Alto and for the entire staff of this community for their efforts to give support to all the members.
Briefly my story. I think I have used AD (escitalopram 10mg) in the worst way that can be used, that is go on it on and off. That is, I usually took AD for, say 9 months and then, after feeling good, quit them cold turkey. After a period of 3-4 months without AD inevitably unpleasant symptoms follows. This pattern went on like this for many times, and I think I have used them for a cumulative time of 6-7 years in a total time of 15 hears. Finally, in November 2013 I learned the lesson and I began to suspect a withdraw problem. Last month I celebrated 4 years since my last pill.
Here a list of some symptoms I have had in this years:

Insomnia
brain fog
brain zaps (only for few days after quitting)
muscle pains
stuffy nose, specially upon awakening
loss of interests
frequent urination
IBS like syndrome
food sensitivity

but the list can continue.
The pattern of symptoms is very well know here: windows and waves and not all the symptoms in the same period.

All I can say is that in this years my suffering has been deep and painful. I can say too, without exaggeration, that this was the most profound experience of my life. I even can say that I am grateful to this syndrome because I consider me now a better person.
I think I’m 80% recovered and the worst symptoms like insomnia have gone away. But I think also that are necessary another couple of years to fully come back. But I know this will be a cake walk compared to what I left behind.

It is very difficult for me to tell in English all the aspects of my story but I hope I have given a taste of it.

After introducing myself I want to ask a question. I’m considering to take a supplement for hair loss (I think it’s not correlated to withdraw syndrome). It contains saw palmetto (serenoa repens) and nettle root. Now, I’m a little concerned about the first one because, reading various stories on the web, it seems to acts as finasteride on 5-AR receptors and, as you can imagine, I don’t want to mess my up again. Now I don’t now if there is a link between the receptors I have messed up with AD use and those implicated with 5-AR.
So my question is: it can be safe to take a small amount of serenoa repens (320 mg)? Is there anyone who has tried it?

I thanks everybody for reading my story and for all those can give me suggestion about saw palmetto.

I whish healing for everyone.

(for moderators: I don’t know if this is the right place to post)

• Altostrata changed the title to Ippia My story
  • Administrator

Welcome, Ippia.

You have had those symptoms for 4 years?

Going on and off drugs can make your nervous system very sensitive to other drugs, supplements, and even foods. It's good to hear you have recovered about 80%. You may need to do some work to move your recovery forward.

First, to work on sleep. What is your sleep pattern? See

Tips to help sleep -- so many of us have that awful withdrawal insomnia

Waking with panic or anxiety -- managing cortisol spikes

What is the sleep cycle?

Melatonin for sleep: Many people find it helpful  Melatonin in particular can be helpful taken at nightfall -- then turn off the lights.

TV or computer use in evening can disrupt sleep: Bright light signals the brain that it's daytime

White noise devices for sleep

Light therapy for sleep problems

I don't know anything about saw palmetto or curing hair loss. We have seen that many people do better with fish oil and magnesium supplements,

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

A lot of people find them helpful. Try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you.

You may have acquired food sensitivities, which have caused your gut problems. An exclusion diet might help

Elimination or exclusion diets for reactions to food (food intolerance)

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thanks for the reply, Alto.
You must know that this site and your dedication have been very precious in these years for me, although I have never written in this time.
I remember reading here from someone (perhaps you?) something like this: this syndrome makes us similar to zen warriors because we must develop patience and perseverance. So true. This sentence has been a guiding light throughout this years.
So yes, I have followed many tips I have read here, from doing physical activities, eating well, and using some supplements.
I’m currently use magnesium, omega 3 and vitamin c.
I want to clarify that now I have only few manageable  symptoms. But I must also say that times to times small waves occurs, even if are shorter and less intense.
I still improving, I know that, but the healing process is not complete.
Turning back to my question about saw palmetto, I only want to know if it safe to take it.
I try to ask my question on the Symptoms and self-care section. 
Thanks again.

• Administrator

Thank you, Ippia. Very happy to hear you're doing better.

I added our cheerful "here comes the sun" symbol ☼ to the title of your Intro topic, to show you're recovering.

Please continue to let us know how you're doing. I hope you will add your story to our Recovery Success Stories eventually!

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Ippia,

"Patience and perseverance" -- yes, you have it!  Thank you.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Just an update for now. Day 2 (3?I'm so confused right now) of breaking down and taking 5mg of Prozac. I feel asleep finally around 5am this morning or so... I think. I slept pretty well despite my usual horrible nightmares, until around noon. I had a missed call from the sheriff's department on my phone around 7am which makes me wonder if I was screaming in my sleep again... Will need to set up signs activated recorder app on myself again I guess.

The first thing I noticed getting up was the HORRIBLE anxiety/panic coursing through me. Worse than yesterday. I used to get this pretty much daily for years while on Paxil. 

Besides the anxiety I am still unable to think clearly. I'm nauseated and have no appetite. I have palpitations and I'm very shaky. I know it's not my blood sugar, as I have forced down some Gatorade and a protein shake.

And I still just feel so hopeless.

When can I have my "life" back?

Ativan 1or2mg PRN: 2003 - present 

Paxil up to 60mg: Aug 2005 - Feb 2013

Adderall XR Varied dosages on and off: 1994? - present

Pristiq 100mg: Feb 2013 - Feb 2014

Effexor XR 150mg: Feb 2014 - Jun 2016; then gradual taper. D/C'd in Nov 2017.

Xanax 1mg: PRN 1998 - Jan 2018

Zoloft 200 mg: 2016, Taper then CT Dec 2017 AMA. Destroyed my life. And everyone I love. 

Prozac 5mg daily: JAN 2018 - OCT 2018, CT'D against my will and despite my protests.

Current: (NOV 2018) Ativan 1mg prn, Adderall XR 15mg daily, Clonidine 0.1mg twice daily

My apologies Ippia, 

I thought I was on my post. Please feel free to disregard and delete (if you can) my prior post.

UPC

Ativan 1or2mg PRN: 2003 - present 

Paxil up to 60mg: Aug 2005 - Feb 2013

Adderall XR Varied dosages on and off: 1994? - present

Pristiq 100mg: Feb 2013 - Feb 2014

Effexor XR 150mg: Feb 2014 - Jun 2016; then gradual taper. D/C'd in Nov 2017.

Xanax 1mg: PRN 1998 - Jan 2018

Zoloft 200 mg: 2016, Taper then CT Dec 2017 AMA. Destroyed my life. And everyone I love. 

Prozac 5mg daily: JAN 2018 - OCT 2018, CT'D against my will and despite my protests.

Current: (NOV 2018) Ativan 1mg prn, Adderall XR 15mg daily, Clonidine 0.1mg twice daily

Many thanks for the feedbacks. Unfortunately writhing in English is a big limitation for me and I can’t express myself at the best. Many thanks for the sun, Alto. It is very encouraging for me. Actually I consider myself a small “veteran”, and I want to say that this site has become a second family in these years. As everyone know here it’s so hard to explain to the others, family and friends, what's going on, and finding empathy it’s only possible comparing oneself with those who are going through the same thing. 

I want to share below some thoughts and experience (in random order, and some very well known) that I consider of some interest:

1-Rubik cube process: I firmly confirm this kind of pattern (a genius who had find this example!). I have seen by now a wide range of symptoms, not present all together, appearing, disappearing, turning in a chameleonic way one into each other, and so on. 

2- Congestion: link between dopamine and lymphatic system? I don’t know if it has already been discussed, but there may be a connection. I say this because I have had bad puffy and sunken eyes (not still completely gone, but improved), probably due to a nasal congestion, and in turns it can be due to a stagnant and not proper functioning of the lymphatic system. Somewhere I read dopamine and lymphatic system are linked. But another dowel of the puzzle can be hydration. To alleviating congestion I have to drink ton of waters. This gave me some relief. So I suspect an hidden link (in some order) between dopamine system-lymphatic system-hydration status.

3- The final step: I guess (at least in my case) that the so called higher functions of the central nervous system is possibly the last to heal. I mean here especially brain fog that seems to me particularly hard to defeat despite many progress. Brain fog for me means a kind of mental patina interposed between me and the reality. Although it’s worth to say that the intensity of this symptom highly fluctuates during the day: from a bad peak at the first afternoon to almost normal functioning in the evening.

4- Nicotine: when I quit smoking some months ago (after 15 years of heavy dependence) I have slept as never before. I mean 8-9 straight hours for almost a week. I knew it would be an hazard to quit during the withdraw but I wanted to do anyway. Some explanation for this weird phenomenon?

5- Insomnia: keep going, the big bad boy can be defeated over time. And this becomes a boost in the healing process. 

Hi ippia, just want to thank you for sharing your success story to help others who are still on the road!

wish you fast and full recovery soon!

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

2009 Mar.: lexapro 10mg for headache for 2 weeks.

2009-2012: on and off 1/4 to 1/3 of 10mg

2012 June--2013 Jan,: 1/4-1/3 of 10mg generic, bad jaw pain

2013 Jan-Mar: 10 mg generic. severe jaw and head pain;

2013 Mar--Aug. started tapering (liquid ever since) from 10 to 5 (one step) then gradually down to 2.25 mg by July. first ever panic attack, severe head/jaw pain

2013 Aug.: back to 2.75 mg; Nov: back to Brand Lex. 2.75mg -- 3mg,

2014 June: stopped PPI, head pressure/numbness. up-dosed 4.5mg, severe reaction mental symptoms added on

2014 Aug--2015 Aug: Micro taper down to 3.2mg, .025mg (<1%) cut holding 2-3 weeks.

2015 Aug 15th, Accidental one dose of 4.2mg. worsening brain non-functional, swollen head, body, coma like, DR

2016 Feb., started dosing 10am through 11 pm everyday 2/13--3.2mg, 3/15-- 2.9mg, 4/19-- 2.6mg, 6/26--2.2mg, 7/22 --1.9mg, 8/16--1.8mg,8/31--1.7m g, 9/13--1.6mg, 9/27--1.5mg, 10/8--1.4mg, 10/14--1.3mg, 11/1--1.2mg, 11/29--1.1mg, 12/12--1mg, 12/22--0.9mg

2017: 1/7--0.8mg, 1/15--0.7mg, 1/17--0.6mg, 1/20--0.52, 1/21--0.4mg, 1/22--0.26, 1/23--0.2, 2/13--0.13mg, 2/20--0.06mg, 3/18--0.13mg, 6/1--0.12mg, 7/6--0.1mg, 7/14--0.08mg, 8/17--0.04mg, 8/20--0.03mg, 8/28--0.02mg, 9/6--0.0205mg, 9/8--0.02mg, 9/17--0.015mg, 9/20--0.01mg, 9/21--0.0048mg, 9/22--0.0001mg,

• ChessieCat changed the title to ☼ Ippia: My story