kesh

Is smoking bad for withdrawal?

kesh

There is a lot of talk about healing on this board. Healing our messed up nervous system. But I wonder how much healing I csn be experiencing if I smoke so many cigarettes. 

I only restarted smoking because of how awful my medication has made me feel (restlessness, agitation, akathisia, whatever you want to call it. Plus brutal insomnia). It seems to help. Little 15 minutes of calm.

Who here smokes and what do you think of it? Is it just another med we need to taper? And where should it be on the tapering of polypharmacy? Last? First?

Merry Christmas  (ironic laugh)

Edited by Altostrata
retitled

manymoretodays

Hi Kesh,

Definitely, for me, I look at it as another medication now.........that I need to taper.  In light of my own now, somewhat compromised, nervous system......post psychiatric medication, and other psychoactive drugs.    And am happy to report a decrease in total cigarettes consumed/day!!

I don't know how long you have been smoking or how many times you have quit?  For me, it's been a lot of years and I also tend to go back to them, cigarettes, after a quit, when a general mood shift comes on, or just out of frustration.   For me......it's now my last psychoactive substance, to get clear of after many, many years.  Oh, it's highly addictive.  I'm sure you know that.  As well as a factor in so many physical conditions it isn't even funny.    Contributing to this topic has got me craving one.  :o

Ironic, isn't it?  As by smoking cigarettes........we only add to our restlessness and insomnia.  For a basic cognitive approach to getting off cigarettes, I like a book by Allan Carr.  It looks like he has several out now.

It's my last one to taper.  I do think though, that if you can find other coping skills, and I'm certain that you can, you might consider moving it up on your priority list.

To Life and a healthier one,

Best,

mmt

Edited by manymoretodays

MiguelFreeman
27 minutes ago, manymoretodays said:

Hi Kesh,

Definitely, for me, I look at it as another medication now.........that I need to taper.  In light of my own now, somewhat compromised, nervous system......post psychiatric medication, and other psychoactive drugs.    And am happy to report a decrease in total cigarettes consumed/day!!

I don't know how long you have been smoking or how many times you have quit?  For me, it's been a lot of years and I also tend to go back to them, cigarettes, after a quit, when a general mood shift comes on, or just out of frustration.   For me......it's now my last psychoactive substance, to get clear of after many, many years.  Oh, it's highly addictive.  I'm sure you know that.  As well as a factor in so many physical conditions it isn't even funny.    Contributing to this topic has got me craving one.  :o

Ironic, isn't it?  As by smoking cigarettes........we only add to our restlessness and insomnia.  For a basic cognitive approach to getting off cigarettes, I like a book by Allan Carr.  It looks like he has several out now.

It's my last one to taper.  I do think though, that if you can find other coping skills, and I'm certain that you can, you might consider moving it up on your priority list.

To Life and a healthier one,

Best,

mmt

I wasn't vaping before I stopped my meds but now even if I wanna try to stop it just makes everything worse i stopped yesterday and today had terrible Nero fear + suicidal intrusive thoughts  prob have to bump up my nico from 2 mg to 4 mg

Altostrata

Smoking is horrible for your circulation and your overall health.

My brother and mother, both heavy smokers, each lost a lung to cancer.

Enough said.

kesh
On Thursday, December 28, 2017 at 1:40 AM, Altostrata said:

Smoking is horrible for your circulation and your overall health.

My brother and mother, both heavy smokers, each lost a lung to cancer.

Enough said.

Trouble is, we're reaching for a cigarette to stop thinking about suicide. So future death/illness vs immediate risk.

Anyway. I'm basically regarding cigarettes as another thing to taper. Have stabilized my intake for now.

manymoretodays

Hi kesh,

For me......it's more habit/addiction at this point.  Although I can see that when presented with such intrusive thoughts, it may work as a brief distraction.  There are lot's of other distractions though that you might find healthier.........since it sounds like you just picked up the cigarettes again, recently?

I guess my main point was......and after reading Allan Carr, and my own experience.........was that often times the smoking can INCREASE those feelings of fear/anxiety- restless, agitation.  I don't think I would ever recommend to someone to deal with W/D symptoms.

Have you seen our threads on magnesium and Omega 3's?

Best, Love, peace, healing/inrecovery, and growth,

mmt

xXShatteredXx

Well, nicotine increases dopamine which is what makes you feel better after smoking. Oddly enough 75-80% of people with schizophrenia smoke and it's suspected to be because of the dopamine factor. Picking up smoking to get through withdrawal is trading one addiction for another. Definitely not something I would recommend. On the same note, I would also not recommend trying to quit smoking until you are healed from withdrawal. I do smoke and it's not doing me any favors. However, I absolutely couldn't dream of going through nicotine withdrawal right now in the state that I'm in. I would also advise against ever taking Chantix to quit because it also causes mental disturbance. 

ChessieCat
On 11/28/2018 at 4:49 PM, Altostrata said:

A friend managed to taper off cigarette pretty quickly by substituting herbal cigarettes instead, it satisfied her smoking habit, then she cut down on the herbal cigarettes.

Giving up smoking is very difficult.  I like Alto's idea of using herbal cigarettes.  Not wacky tobacky (ie marijuana or any other concoction containing mind altering ingredients).  You could do a cross over eg alternate herbal and regular to start with then 1 regular and 2 herbal cigarettes etc.  That way you reduce the physical dependency of the nicotine and then you can work on the habitual dependency of the act of smoking, instead of trying to do both at once.

Just found this:  https://whyquit.com/joels-videos/what-about-using-herbal-cigarettes-to-quit-smoking/

You would need to make sure of the ingredients.  Joel in the video says that tests on some herbal cigarettes showed they had tobacco blended in.