Rosetta: cold switch May 2011 & too fast taper Feb 2017

Rosetta

@jonnypeters1234567 and @EdinburghGuy Thanks.  I hope it gives you the hope that you need.  Everyone heals.

@mirage Yes, the Windows get longer.  Mine have been very short, but frequent.  I call it yo-yoing.  I don't think I've had a window that was longer than a couple of days until this past window that is lasting and lasting.  For some people that's the way it goes.  Others have longer Windows than mine have been all along the journey.  

@RealMe The children certainly make this challenging, but they make us see what's important, too.

@Rabe Thank you, honey!

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/16629-rosetta-ct-may-2011-too-fast-taper-feb-2017/?page=25

2001-2011 Celexa 10 mg raised to 40 mg then 60 mg over this time period

May 2011 OB Doctor's Cold switch Celexa 60 mg to 10 mg Zoloft sertraline (baby born)

2012-2016 - Doctors raised dose of Zoloft up to 150 mg

2016 - Xanax prescribed - as needed - 0.5 mg about every 3 days (bad reaction)

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Late 2016- Began (too fast) taper of Zoloft

Early 2017 - Trazodone prescribed for bedtime (doseage unknown)

Feb 2017 - Completed taper/stopped Trazodone

Drug free since Feb 2017

2017 - Unisom otc very rarely for sleep

I hope you avoid a wave and enjoy your week with your daughter Rosetta

2009-2010 Citalopram 20mg CT no problems

Sertaline 2010- 6monnths

2011- 2017 June 2017- Citalopram 20mg CT

@Rosetta Thank you! It is reassuring to hear you are having more windows and you are having a pretty good long one. I haven't had a window that has been free of symptoms but I have had easier days. This wave is a rough one with the dizziness. On the other hand, my sleep is better. Hmm...I know that is all healing taking place. You are such a great example to your children and to all of us here.

Hugs and prayers. 

Started Wellbutrin 300xl mid July, 2009. Stopped Wellbutrin 300xl cold turkey May 8, 2017

Started having symptoms started June 2, 2017. Started Wellbutrin 150xl July 7, 2017

Started Remeron 15mg August 15, 2017. Increased Remeron to 30mg October 4, 2017

Increased Wellbutrin to 300xl November 24, 2017. Lowered Wellbutrin 300xl back to 150xl January 8, 2018

Started weaning off of Remeron 30mg. Cut to 22.25mg January 11, 2018

Cut Remeron to 15mg January 18, 2018 Cut Remeron to 7.5mg January 25, 2018

Cut Remeron to 3.5mg January 30,2018. Stopped taking Remeron February 1, 2018

Currently taking: Fish Oil, Magnesium, Calcium, Vit D, Progesterone,

Hormone Replacement Pellets-Estrogen Testosterone 

@Rosetta A quick question. Prior to your current windows, how were the ones you had around the 1 year mark? I am at 13 months and I have not had a window, free of symptoms. I've had what I think are windows. Minutes/hours that were easier and my symptoms were less extreme. Waiting for that true, good window. 

Started Wellbutrin 300xl mid July, 2009. Stopped Wellbutrin 300xl cold turkey May 8, 2017

Started having symptoms started June 2, 2017. Started Wellbutrin 150xl July 7, 2017

Increased Wellbutrin to 300xl November 24, 2017. Lowered Wellbutrin 300xl back to 150xl January 8, 2018

@mirage. Hi.  If you go back to page 7 of my thread you will see February 2018.  I was having a hard time.  I was determined to not miss my daughter's life.  So, I was doing as much as I could to get to events and volunteer in her classroom.  My emotions were all over the place.  I cried a lot.  I was depressed and anxious.  It was Winter, of course.  My windows were very short and waves were long.  That pattern continued until month 16, but the intensity of the symptoms became gradually less severe.

There are some symptoms that were very problematic such as lack of appetite and dystonia which have improved at lot since the 1 year point.  The anxiety and cortisol spikes did not improve much, but they would change in intensity.  It's really only in the last two weeks that those problems have improved.  

Windows are not free of symptoms, but they are markedly different from the rest of the time.  They are obvious only after the fact at first.  Then, later I think as one learns what they feel like, it's possible to know when they are happening.  (It may be different for taperers who were stable when they started tapering.  I practically CT'd and did not reinstate.  Taperers seem to know when they are in Windows.  They expect waves after they drop the dose and some even know how long after the dose the wave is likely to start.)

Mirage, I honestly don't know how many of my issues are caused by my hormones or whether this journey would have been the same even without the PMS.  Being perimenopausal may be a big part of the intensity of my WD.  While in WD all things are amplified. I have been feeling better since my period took a break that's for sure.  Back in Feb one of the Moderators remarked that he saw positive changes occurring, but I felt awful most of the time.  It does not appear that women have a harder time with WD and yet we are able to trace some of our waves to our cycles.  

Dehydration on is a major issue.  We are not able to take care of ourselves well while in WD.  I believe a lot of our symptoms could be improved by drinking a lot of water and also keeping protein in our diets.  I try to have protein at least twice a day.  When I'm having cortisol spikes I find that eating cheese sticks in the middle of the night helps.

I hope you feel better soon! - Rosetta

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/16629-rosetta-ct-may-2011-too-fast-taper-feb-2017/?page=25

May 2011 OB Doctor's Cold switch Celexa 60 mg to 10 mg Zoloft sertraline (baby born)

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

Journal:

The muscle tension in my jaw and neck -- on both sides -- seems to have replaced the dystonia on my right side.  It happens while I sleep and while I read and type -- just like the dystonia.  This happened last night and the night before.  It's a change, but of course I don't like it. It's a miserable way to sleep.  I'm drinking a lot of water to avoid dehydration, and I wake up a lot in the night.  Sleep is not good or very deep.

My days are not bad though unless I read and then my neck, jaw, cheeks, and even my eyes and forehead ache.  I don't see anyone else having this reaction to reading, but it's probably similar to the "head pressure" others complain about.  I suppose someday this problem will stop.  

Friday, I missed my walk because we had see my husband's cousin while he was in town.  He wanted to have breakfast with us.  It wasn't a very positive experience because there was a misunderstanding.  I was pretty frustrated to have missed my walk for that.  Then, we picked up my daughter from her last day of camp and went to dinner.  My appetite is better than it used to be, but it's still pretty rare that I enjoy eating as opposed to doing it because I have to.

Yesterday, my daughter's friend came to play and his grandmother stayed while my husband and I went for a walk at the beach.  Then, in the afternoon, my friend and her husband brought her family over to play.  I had to take breaks from the chaos of two boys, 4 and 6, a girl who is 8 and my 7 year old all being kids together.  It was stressful.  It was also very hot outside, but I managed to handle it.  This is a huge milestone for me.  We haven't invited anyone over in over a year.  I don't want to do it again soon, but I managed ok with the help of my husband.

Last night, I had another night of muscle tension, but I was able to go back to sleep several times this morning.  I had to keep breathing and monitoring my breath in order to fall back asleep.  I didn't get up until after 9:00 am! All through the night I kept drinking water and going to the bathroom in the hopes that avoiding dehydration would help me have a better day.  It was 105 here on Friday and about 100 yesterday.  Today is 99.  I'm stuck inside.  That usually means I have a bad day, but I'm hoping to go to the beach later in the day.  It's 85 there at 2:00 pm.

I have not had much anxiety today.  

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

@Rosetta Thank you dear friend for contacting me and for shedding a lot of light on things for me. You are truly kind! 

I am for sure having more, long waves and short windows here and there. You are so right when you say you don't notice the windows until after they happen. I never recognize them as windows because I still always have some symptoms. It is when another wave comes that I think, "oh, I had a window". Also, they are very short lived. Maybe just an hour or two here and there. 

My worst symptoms are, head and jaw tension/pain, dizziness and anxiety. 

I can push through most days. A few month ago, no way. In fact, a few months ago I would not commit to anything. I would tell people I had to play everything day to day and there were many times I had to cancel doing things at the last minute. Now, I can stay committed and plug along. 

I agree with what you are saying about pms and hormones. I completed menopause last year. I know that based on blood work that was taken 2 years ago and then again in March of 2017. I could see I was menopausal in 2015 but was still making estrogen. In my March 2017 labs, my numbers for estrogen, progesterone and testosterone were all tanked. Thus, the completion of being a young lady. lol. That is why I stopped my med cold turkey. I was put on it by my obgyn for pms and since I no longer had any, I thought I no longer need the med. She never told me I needed to wean off. I don't blame her. I think the advice she gave me  was based on the knowledge she had. I also think most people don't get this extreme withdrawal. It is the lucky, smaller percent of us that do. I found out, a few months ago, through some genetic testing one of drs did, that I am a very slow metabolizer of these meds. That said, I wonder if there is any connection with that, to those of us who suffer so, compared to others who can successfully come off of them with no problems? 

Going back to hormones, I am getting bio-identical hormone replacement through pellets. I have a gyn here that specializes in menopause and she is remarkable! I get them every 3 and a half months and I do think they are helping me with this recovery. At least I am staying balanced with that. 

I agree with you on staying hydrated and eating protein. I too, am doing both. I was not a big protein eater prior to this journey. Mostly ate veggies and salads. I never ever ate red meat. Well, that has changed. Each and every day, I do eat the same things. I do a good, healthy protein shake every morning for breakfast, followed by a boiled egg a couple of hours later and for lunch, I do whole, organic, no salt no sugar peanut butter on chia seed bread and a banana and for an afternoon snack, I eat cheese and fresh berries. For dinner, I go with what ever we decide to make or go out and get. I lost a lot of weight during this journey. I was very small to begin with 116lbs. I got down to 104. I could barely sip water. I am back to my normal weight and able to maintain it. Like you, I eat because I know it is important but i'm not there yet on craving anything or loving our long dinners out that we use to have. My family will ask what I feel like eating and there is never anything I particularly want. But, I can eat now. 

It is nice that you live by the ocean. How therapeutic. I would love that. I live in a big park so I take my walks there with my dogs. Not quite the same as hearing the beautiful sounds of ocean waves. Speaking of waves, I am have a really rough one right now. Very intense dizziness and jaw/head pressure. It started last Wednesday and other than a few hours on the 4th, it is staying with me. 

I include you in my prayers and I look forward to the day of reading your success story. Big hugs to you dear friend.

Heart zaps in my sleep:

I haven't had these lately, but I wrote about the way they feel to someone else and wanted to document it here.  I didn't have brain zaps, but I had these horrible shots of adrenaline to my heart.  I can't say they are a stronger form of a cortisol spike because there was a different quality to them, but I suspect cortisol has a role.  I think adrenaline is involved more than anything.

It felt like what I assume a mild heart attack might feel like (although I've never had a heart attack, and I've never been tased either.).  My heart would hurt like a sore muscle for hours afterward.  I think a cortisol spike is involved, but I don't know.  It's definitely like the feeling you get when you've almost had a car accident only more intense and without the pounding lasting as long.  It results in very strong fear.  Maybe there's a thread on it here.  I've never looked.  Strangely, going back to sleep wasn't too hard unless I started thinking about bad things, other scary things, death, etc.. Once it happened many times I learned to not feel too worried about the zap itself, but if I was in a deep wave that caused me to lie awake worrying anyway then being awakened by this zap was a real issue.  

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

On 7/2/2018 at 5:44 AM, Rosetta said:

I dream of the day I can relax at home the way I used to, and feel recharged

Hello Rosetta, again.  I've read a bit more of your thread and realise that it's a rocky road for you still.  The quote above so aptly reflects one of the things I dream about getting back!

Best

Neroli

2006 Citalopram 20mg on and off to 2013.  April 2013 - July 2014  Sertraline, Venlafaxine, Fluoxetine, Mirtazapine v. bad reactions. July 2014 - CT Mirtazapine.  July 2014 - February 2016 Medication free, long term w/d.  February - July 2016 Fluoxetine.  Medication free, long term w/d syndrome.  2017 Jan physical breakdown.

2017 February - March Escitalopram, Nortriptyline instated.  Lorazepam, Zopiclone PRN.  April 2017 Lithium Carbonate 250mg 1 wk. 14 August 2017 finish cross to Diazepam 22.5mg daily, stop Zopiclone

Tapers:

Diazepam 

2017 21 August - 30 Dec 21.25mg to 14.5mg 2018 6 Jan - 11 May to 12mg.  2 June updose to 12.25mg - hold. 2019 (0.5mg cuts) 12 Jan - 28 Dec 12mg to 10mg 2020 (0.25mg cuts) - 25 Jan - 29 Dec 9.75mg to 6.25mg 2021 *May have bungled dose and accidentally took 1mg more for about a month (7.25mg), so 4 Jan started again at 6.5mg; 19 Jan 6.25mg; 1 Feb 6.0mg; 23 Feb 5.75mg; 9 Mar 5.5mg; 23 Mar 5.25mg; 9 Apr 5.0mg; 6 May 4.75mg; 13 May 4.5mg; 6 Jun 4mg; 12 July 3.5mg; 2 sep 3.0mg; 15 Sep 2.5mg; 1 Nov 2mg; 15 Nov 1.5mg; 16 Dec 1mg; 26 Dec 0.5mg; 2022 1 Jan - OFF

Escitalopram - 2022 1 Mar to 9mg; 29 Mar 8mg; 24 May 7mg; 21 Jun 5mg; 19 Jul 4mg; 1 Sep 3mg; 23 Sep 2.5mg; 31 Oct 1.5mg; 22 Nov 0.5mg; 2023 1 Jan 0.25mg; 1 Mar OFF

Nortriptyline  2018 90mg to 2020 1 Dec down to 72.5mg; 2021 20 May 70mg; 8 Jun 67.5mg; 24 Jun 65mg; 31 July 60mg; 12 Oct 55mg; 23 Oct 50mg; 2022 13 Jan 40mg; 22 Jan 30mg; 29 Mar 20mg; 26 Apr 10mg; 3 Aug 5mg; 23 Sep 2.5mg; 2023 1 Jan - OFF

1 March 2023 - off all drugs - 6-year taper off three drugs.

11 hours ago, Rosetta said:

didn't get up until after 9:00 am! All through the night I kept drinking water and going to the bathroom in the hopes that avoiding dehydration would help me have a better day.  It was 105

Hi Rosetta, 

If after drinking water you need to go to the bathroom, it means that you are hydrated enough! 

There is no need to disturb your precious sleep around it. 

Best regards and take care 

Kostas 

Citalopram 20 mg

Mid June 1994- end March 1995 Then tapering 3 months 

Mid August 1995-end August 1996 Tapering 6 months 

Mid January 2000-end September 2001 Tapering 6 months

Mid October 2003-end October 2005 Tapering 7 years. 

More detailed drug history is here - ☼-kostas

Off any drug from October 2012 

@Kostas One would think so, but honestly, I think something about my body wasn't working properly.  

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

There's been a change again.  The muscle tension is gone, and I didn't have it in the night!  I woke up without anxiety, and I had no cortisol spikes in the night.  I did wake up about 2:00, and I spent about 1 1/2 hours awake.  I started to worry by the time I was able to go back to sleep.  I'm back to having slight bathroom troubles from the magnesium.  Before I was having a very normal bathroom experience for many days.

These past few days, I felt dehydrated - slight headache, muscle tension, dry skin, lack of appetite, low energy, white tongue with a crack in the middle -- the whole package!  I could not drink enough water to get rid of the signs, and I wasn't having caffeine or alcohol either.  I do live in a desert, but I believe there was some malfunction in the way my body was processing al the water I drank.  I feel better now, but the white tongue is still white and cracked to a lesser degree.    Today, it's 88 and overcast.  The muscle tension disappeared in the night, and I was able to sleep at 74 degrees whereas I needed 71 degrees the past few nights.    I suspect my body was getting rid of the water too quickly without using it the way it should -- if that's even possible!  Maybe it was because of my cycle which is very wonky right now.

I suppose my gut could have been going through some healing process that was requiring something different.  This all very, very strange as all of you know.

I feel pretty good today.  Of course, I'm nervous and a bit anxious.  That comes up whenever I'm not distracted. 

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

Change is good. Im pleased to hear that the muscle tension and cortisol spikes have gone.

I have the white tongue with a crack down the middle, think its zinc related.

2009-2010 Citalopram 20mg CT no problems

Sertaline 2010- 6monnths

2011- 2017 June 2017- Citalopram 20mg CT

Thank you for your kind messages on my thread, Rosetta.  I am so glad you are feeling pretty good today!

-1/06 - 3/07 Cymbalta. Fast taper (essentially CT); withdrawal symptoms after 4 mos (didn't realize was WD)

-10/07: 100 mg Zoloft; 1 mg Klonopin - tapered off Klonopin after 4 mos. Several unsuccessful slow tapers of Zoloft; went up and down in dose a lot

-Spring 2013 back on 1 mg Klonopin to counter WD symptoms; switched over 5-6 mos from Zoloft to 35 mg citalopram
-Two attempts at slow tapering citalopram, always increased dose due to WD; also increased Klonopin to 1.25 mg in 2014, then to 1.5 mg in 2015

-8/17-9/17: After holding one year at 20 mg, feeling withdrawal symptoms due to stress - slowly increased to 25 mg. No change in symptoms after 6 months (? tolerance ?)  - decided to start citalopram taper February 2018 (still on Klonopin 1.5 mg).

Supplements: fish oil; magnesium; vitamin D3; curcumin

Citalopram taper:  2/2018 - 12/2019: 25 mg - 11.03 mg I 2020: 10.89 mg - 7.9 mg I 2021: 7.8 mg - 5.26 mg I 2022: 5.2 mg - 3.36 mg I 2023: 3.3 mg - 1.47 mg 2024: 1/5/24: 1.44 mg; 1/19/24: 1.40 mg; 1/26/24: 1.37 mg; 2/2/24: 1.34 mg; 2/9/24: 1.31 mg; 2/23/24: 1.28 mg; 3/1/24: 1.25 mg; 3/8/24: 1.22 mg; 3/15/24: 1.19 mg; 3/29/24: 1.17 mg; 4/5/24: 1.14 mg; 4/13/24: 1.11 mg; 4/20/24: 1.09 mg

• Moderator Emeritus
10 hours ago, Rosetta said:

These past few days, I felt dehydrated - slight headache, muscle tension, dry skin, lack of appetite, low energy, white tongue with a crack in the middle -- the whole package!  I could not drink enough water to get rid of the signs, and I wasn't having caffeine or alcohol either.  I do live in a desert, but I believe there was some malfunction in the way my body was processing al the water I drank.  I feel better now, but the white tongue is still white and cracked to a lesser degree.    Today, it's 88 and overcast.  The muscle tension disappeared in the night, and I was able to sleep at 74 degrees whereas I needed 71 degrees the past few nights.    I suspect my body was getting rid of the water too quickly without using it the way it should -- if that's even possible!  

I think ADs can mess with antidiuretic hormone.  I would also suggest replacing electrolytes as well as water.

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2004-2008  paroxetine (various failed tapers) 
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct 15mg … slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg
2019  15 Mar 3.6mg  21 May 3.4mg  26 Dec 3.2mg 

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

2021   29 Aug 2.4mg   15 Nov 2.3mg

Hi Rosetta,

WOW!  I think you are healing more and more!  To be missing your walks, to have people AND kids ;) over to the house, t to have less anxiety and thought spiraling, and so much more....I just am so grateful for you to hear it all!!!  

I wanted to say that when my potassium is low I go to the bathroom much more, and much more at night,  and am much more thirsty, drier skin etc.  Salt makes it worse so I try to drink things with more potassium and less salt.  Milk, some pedialytes and foods....in any case just wanted to let you know.

Continue to take care of you!!! 💜 

-Nardil 1976 < year, stopped. React to AD's. Klonopin .5BID 1990, 2.5mg til 2016

-Klonopin doubled Jan '16. Taper to 2.25mg May to Nov '16. Bad react to Lexapro, stop. React to Prevacid too, taper off. 

-November '16 Tapered .25mg Klonopin in hospital. Jan '17 started Viibryd, 20mg from Feb to June '17,     

-20mg to 10mg Viibryd from 3/25 to 6/10 2017, 12/15 10% Viibryd taper...back up next day

-Clonazepam 2mg to 1.85mg 4/14 '17 to end November; taper to 1mg Clonazepam in hospital 9/1 tp 9/14 '17

-Feb '18 Amiloride .25mg  5/18 off Amiloride d/t react. Clonaz compounded  

-4/27 '18 Viibryd 9.5mg, 6/11 9.0 mg, 1/27 '19 Viibryd 8.75mg, ; Clonazepam .2mg 530pm and .7mg 1130pm, Premarin .3mg 830PM CARAFATE QID 2/27/19 to 3/5/19

-July 6'19 1/2 10mg Claritin 230pm, stopped it about July 18, started Oct 11 '19, 

-7/27 Viibryd 8.5, 8/29 8.25, 10/24 8.0, 12/19 7.75, Feb '20 7.50, 3/20 7.25, 5/20 7.0, 6/20 6.75, 7/20 6.5, 8/20 6.25, 10/2 20 6.0, 11/25'20 5.75, 1/9/21 5.5, 2/23 5.25

-1015 AM Viibryd, vit D 4,000IU 130, 415 Clonazepam .2mg, 815 Premarin .3mg, 1015 Clonaz .7mg,

1115 3t fish oil+D 1145 Castor Oil 650mg(4) 1230 Carafate 1/2GM,Methylated B Vit  1/week,Reacted Mag prn

@Rosetta Just saw your post from yesterday. I love hearing your good news and your progression for the positive. You are doing great and your positive attitude is paying off. It won't be long and we will be reading your success story. I look forward to it! You are amazing! 

Big hugs! 

Cheering on you and sending lots hugs!

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

2009 Mar.: lexapro 10mg for headache for 2 weeks.

2009-2012: on and off 1/4 to 1/3 of 10mg

2012 June--2013 Jan,: 1/4-1/3 of 10mg generic, bad jaw pain

2013 Jan-Mar: 10 mg generic. severe jaw and head pain;

2013 Mar--Aug. started tapering (liquid ever since) from 10 to 5 (one step) then gradually down to 2.25 mg by July. first ever panic attack, severe head/jaw pain

2013 Aug.: back to 2.75 mg; Nov: back to Brand Lex. 2.75mg -- 3mg,

2014 June: stopped PPI, head pressure/numbness. up-dosed 4.5mg, severe reaction mental symptoms added on

2014 Aug--2015 Aug: Micro taper down to 3.2mg, .025mg (<1%) cut holding 2-3 weeks.

2015 Aug 15th, Accidental one dose of 4.2mg. worsening brain non-functional, swollen head, body, coma like, DR

2016 Feb., started dosing 10am through 11 pm everyday 2/13--3.2mg, 3/15-- 2.9mg, 4/19-- 2.6mg, 6/26--2.2mg, 7/22 --1.9mg, 8/16--1.8mg,8/31--1.7m g, 9/13--1.6mg, 9/27--1.5mg, 10/8--1.4mg, 10/14--1.3mg, 11/1--1.2mg, 11/29--1.1mg, 12/12--1mg, 12/22--0.9mg

2017: 1/7--0.8mg, 1/15--0.7mg, 1/17--0.6mg, 1/20--0.52, 1/21--0.4mg, 1/22--0.26, 1/23--0.2, 2/13--0.13mg, 2/20--0.06mg, 3/18--0.13mg, 6/1--0.12mg, 7/6--0.1mg, 7/14--0.08mg, 8/17--0.04mg, 8/20--0.03mg, 8/28--0.02mg, 9/6--0.0205mg, 9/8--0.02mg, 9/17--0.015mg, 9/20--0.01mg, 9/21--0.0048mg, 9/22--0.0001mg,

(Window seems to have ended in the night.  I'm not sure yet.)

Thanks everyone for your kind comments about my window, mirage, Jonny, Wantrelief, Rabe, LexAnger and Songbird.  Perhaps it is an electrolyte issue.

Journal:

Yesterday, I felt good all day.  I took my daughter to nighttime zoo from 6-9 pm, and we had a wonderful time.  We rode the skyway which is like a ski lift to the high point of the zoo.  We saw the polar bears and fed strawberries to some bushy tailed squirrels who were "volunteers."  We saw some monkeys who had two playful babies.  Then we saw a parade.  I'm so glad I took advantage of the day.  I felt so normal.

Today, I've been feeling anxious and afraid.  It seems to be getting stronger.  I woke up feeling a little anxious and out of sorts.  I felt some sadness and anxiety when I was awake in the night.  I was able to sleep late, and then I woke up with a small cortisol spike.

My friend came over with her 4 year old, and I was distracted for a while by that.  She's one of the few people who knows what's going on with me, and she's very understanding.  Having her here with all three of her kids is very challenging, but sometimes just the one is ok.  Sometimes not as he's 4.

Now, I'm irritable, anxious, afraid and I anger easily.  I feel tension in my face and neck.  My face feels tight and hot as if I had just been humiliated by something very embarrassing.  I've described this feeling before.  Maybe it's a form of Akathisia?  This paragraph describes the most classic feelings of withdrawal for me.  I know this feeling is unrelated to anything that's happening in real life (aside from the fact that the United States seems to be imploding.  Maybe it's fairer to say that this feeling is very exaggerated and outsized given what is happening to me personally in my immediate vicinity.). I feel persecuted, but I know (now, I know) it's my own brain making me feel that way.

I'm having some hormone shifts as if my cycle is trying to start.  This is based on some physical signs.

I'm doing my best to avoiding spiraling.  It is soul crushing to come out of a window.

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

I am so sorry you aren't feeling as well today as you did yesterday.  Your day yesterday sounds amazing - how wonderful it must have felt to feel normal!!  I really hope you get back to that place very soon.  

Thank you so much for your supportive message on my thread.  Your continued encouragement means a lot to me.

Sending you a big hug, 

WR

-1/06 - 3/07 Cymbalta. Fast taper (essentially CT); withdrawal symptoms after 4 mos (didn't realize was WD)

-10/07: 100 mg Zoloft; 1 mg Klonopin - tapered off Klonopin after 4 mos. Several unsuccessful slow tapers of Zoloft; went up and down in dose a lot

-Spring 2013 back on 1 mg Klonopin to counter WD symptoms; switched over 5-6 mos from Zoloft to 35 mg citalopram
-Two attempts at slow tapering citalopram, always increased dose due to WD; also increased Klonopin to 1.25 mg in 2014, then to 1.5 mg in 2015

-8/17-9/17: After holding one year at 20 mg, feeling withdrawal symptoms due to stress - slowly increased to 25 mg. No change in symptoms after 6 months (? tolerance ?)  - decided to start citalopram taper February 2018 (still on Klonopin 1.5 mg).

Supplements: fish oil; magnesium; vitamin D3; curcumin

Citalopram taper:  2/2018 - 12/2019: 25 mg - 11.03 mg I 2020: 10.89 mg - 7.9 mg I 2021: 7.8 mg - 5.26 mg I 2022: 5.2 mg - 3.36 mg I 2023: 3.3 mg - 1.47 mg 2024: 1/5/24: 1.44 mg; 1/19/24: 1.40 mg; 1/26/24: 1.37 mg; 2/2/24: 1.34 mg; 2/9/24: 1.31 mg; 2/23/24: 1.28 mg; 3/1/24: 1.25 mg; 3/8/24: 1.22 mg; 3/15/24: 1.19 mg; 3/29/24: 1.17 mg; 4/5/24: 1.14 mg; 4/13/24: 1.11 mg; 4/20/24: 1.09 mg

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, Rosetta said:

My face feels tight and hot as if I had just been humiliated by something very embarrassing.  I've described this feeling before.  Maybe it's a form of Akathisia?  This paragraph describes the most classic feelings of withdrawal for me.  I know this feeling is unrelated to anything that's happening in real life (aside from the fact that the United States seems to be imploding.  Maybe it's fairer to say that this feeling is very exaggerated and outsized given what is happening to me personally in my immediate vicinity.).

I get something similar, like a rush of blood to the head and my face feels like it is flushing, but it looks normal.  There's always a trigger but it's like a big overreaction to something small.

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2004-2008  paroxetine (various failed tapers) 
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct 15mg … slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg
2019  15 Mar 3.6mg  21 May 3.4mg  26 Dec 3.2mg 

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

2021   29 Aug 2.4mg   15 Nov 2.3mg

It is absolutely soul crushing to come out of a window.  We have to look at them as positive signs that we will eventually have those good times and they will last.  I am sorry to hear that you are not feeling as well, but it really does sound like you are making big improvements overall, so hopefully the next window will be here before you know it!

Zoloft 50 mg Fall 2003-October 2016

I went up to 150 mg for several months during the winter of 2016 after going through a tough time trying to stabilize.

Lexapro 5 mg and then 10 mg October 2016-December 2016

Paxil December 2016 to present.  Started at 10 mg went up to 20 mg for three weeks and started reducing by 5mg every 2 weeks per doctors orders.  Got down to 7.5 mg and ran into trouble, found this website and updosed to 10 mg.

9mg paroxetine June 18-6.5 mg in am 2.5 mg pm.  

July 20 began switch to Citalopram-9 mg Paxil and 5 mg citalopram

July 24-7.5mg paroxetine and 7.5mg Citalopram 

July 27-5mg paroxetine and 10 citalopram 

July 30-2.5 paroxetine and 10 of Citalopram 

August 2-2mg paroxetine and 10mg Citalopram, dropped paroxetine Aug. 3

August 8 increased to 15 mg citalopram

Take 1mg lorazepam as needed and 3mg melatonin at night.

Were you out in the heat and sun all day yesterday Rosetta?  I do know that, for me, when I have done that...it takes more than a day for things to reset themselves as far as my dehydration and electrolytes etc. Often it is hard for me to tell whether Im having that imbalance or whether the anxiety and fear and depression and what is like a strange childlike agitation are more r/t to the WD.  I have gone in to have my blood drawn cause Im sure my electrolytes are off...and they are absolutely normal.  How the symptoms mimic each other has been astonishing to me.  

Im sorry you are struggling today and do hope tonight and tomorrow are better for you, Rosetta.  You said it so well...it is soul crushing to come out of a window...😞  Take care!  Perhaps rest a bit and do at least some inside things tomorrow.💜

-Nardil 1976 < year, stopped. React to AD's. Klonopin .5BID 1990, 2.5mg til 2016

-Klonopin doubled Jan '16. Taper to 2.25mg May to Nov '16. Bad react to Lexapro, stop. React to Prevacid too, taper off. 

-November '16 Tapered .25mg Klonopin in hospital. Jan '17 started Viibryd, 20mg from Feb to June '17,     

-20mg to 10mg Viibryd from 3/25 to 6/10 2017, 12/15 10% Viibryd taper...back up next day

-Clonazepam 2mg to 1.85mg 4/14 '17 to end November; taper to 1mg Clonazepam in hospital 9/1 tp 9/14 '17

-4/27 '18 Viibryd 9.5mg, 6/11 9.0 mg, 1/27 '19 Viibryd 8.75mg, ; Clonazepam .2mg 530pm and .7mg 1130pm, Premarin .3mg 830PM CARAFATE QID 2/27/19 to 3/5/19

-July 6'19 1/2 10mg Claritin 230pm, stopped it about July 18, started Oct 11 '19, 

-7/27 Viibryd 8.5, 8/29 8.25, 10/24 8.0, 12/19 7.75, Feb '20 7.50, 3/20 7.25, 5/20 7.0, 6/20 6.75, 7/20 6.5, 8/20 6.25, 10/2 20 6.0, 11/25'20 5.75, 1/9/21 5.5, 2/23 5.25

-1015 AM Viibryd, vit D 4,000IU 130, 415 Clonazepam .2mg, 815 Premarin .3mg, 1015 Clonaz .7mg,

1115 3t fish oil+D 1145 Castor Oil 650mg(4) 1230 Carafate 1/2GM,Methylated B Vit  1/week,Reacted Mag prn

12 hours ago, Rosetta said:

Today, I've been feeling anxious and afraid.

I relate. This is my main symptom. It makes it hard to function. I hope you are feeling better. Cold showers help me. I start out warm and slowly cool it down.

2001- Klonopin 0.125 mg.  2011- increase to 1 mg.  2018- increase to 1.5 mg. Taper 2023-2024. Taper complete!

2010- Trials of SSRI's, several.

2011- Saphris 5 mg. CT. 6/2017- retry Saphris 5 mg sublingual, begin taper August 2020 10% taper with scale, and final taper liquid sublingual, August 2019- taper complete!

2011- Geodon 20 mg. Begin taper Sept 2019. 10% liquid taper. 2020: December-5 mg. 2021: Jan-4.5mg. (held Feb.for vacation). March-4mg. Apr-3.6mg. May-3.2mg. June-2.8mg. (Held July for vacation). Aug-2.4mg. Sept.- 2.2mg. Oct. 2mg. Dec 2022 - Taper complete!

2011- Gabapentin 300 mg to present- 2020. Increase 2023 to 400mg.

2014- Vyvanse 20 mg, 2020- Vyvanse 5 mg. Increase August 2022 20mg. CT (unavailable) 4/2023

2016- Lithium 300 mg, June 2016 - FT.

2017- Cogentin 0.5 mg. June-August 2019- off Cogentin.

2018- Lamictal 300mg. Holding

2021 - Hydroxyzine 30mg. Holding.

2014 Omeprazole 20 mg and holding, Omega 3's/fish oil, Magnesium

Hello.  Thanks for all your supportive messages.  They are very appreciated.

I'm doing better than I thought I would be today.

This is a gratitude list:

I slept well.  

I woke at the usual 1:30-2:00 am time and managed to keep the spiraling thoughts at bay well enough.  I went back to sleep after heating my shoulder wrap twice.  

No bruxism

No dystonia

No cortisol spike

No anxiety upon awakening, but lying in bed brought it on

Motivation is present despite some anxiety

Appetite is present

Some observations about my clutter issue:

When I feel motivation, I'm very anxious about my clutter.

When I have no motivation, I am less troubled by the clutter.

In both instances, the thought of taking action causes anxiety.

The anxiety is related to my confusion, inability to sort, organize and make decisions, fear of making mistakes, fear of being reminded of past mistakes, hurts, abuse, fears, etc.  

This anxiety is something I will have to confront in order to get started on a solution.  I'm not ready yet.

As I heal, the anxiety will be less and less severe, and one day I'll take some action, make some progress and feel good about that progress.  I know this will happen.  I don't know when.  I'm very impatient for that day to come.  Impatience is a key issue for me to tackle.  

Im beginning to have the cognitive ability to implement some work-arounds so that I can function despite the clutter.

Im beginning to have the ability to tolerate some anxiety while I use the work-arounds.

Im progressing!!

Now, Im going to take a shower and go to the beach with my family!!

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

@Rosetta HURRAY!!! All of this is great news! It is wonderful to hear so much positive happening for you. You are getting closer and closer to being able to write your success story. So awesome!! 

Big hugs to you!

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Rosetta, 

That’s great that your symptoms are less, your gratitude list certainly has many positives in it, so happy for you.

Enjoy the beach, it’s my happy place too, the sound of water is amazing, very soothing.

Sending hugs🤗

Seroquel. 2019:➡️ From 7.25mg to 5.80mg✔️ 2020➡️From 5.60 to 4.80✔️ 2021➡️From 4.60 to 4.0✔️ 2022➡️From 3.95 to 3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️
2024➡️Jan15=3.20✔️ Feb19=3.15✔️ March26=3.10✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

WOW Rosetta!  THAT was FABulous to read!!! :) It was like writing a letter and putting it in a bottle and letting the ocean take it away....how was the beach????  Sounds SO wonderful!  And to just say Im going to the beach with nothing in front of that thought or behind it was just lovely to hear!!!

I, too, believe you will be writing your success story soon....so much progress just since I came here...which hasn't been long!  HUGSSSSS!💜

@Rabe

It was very hard to get myself together to go yesterday.  I find it so difficult to pull together all the things we will need.  This is some kind of issue with the way my brain (doesn't) work in WD.  What should be simple and uneventful becomes overwhelming.  It was about 2:00 before we left to go, but we did it.  And I was able to sit on the beach and watch my husband and daughter play.  Then I built a sand castle with my daughter.  We walked up the beach to meet my husband later and went to my MILs for a while.  This morning, I am again struggling to get going.  With my daughter being home this week I'm trying to take her places so we don't stay in my cluttered house that makes me feel so confused and upset.

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

Thanks Carmie and Mirage for your sweet notes.

Last night's sleep was not good.  My daughter was very active in her sleep.  With the heat, I don't have a good solution for this matter of sleeping in her bed with her.  Not one that I have the energy to implement.  However, I did sleep past my normal 1:30-2:00 am wake up.  It was after 3:00 when my daughter started thrashing about.  I was awake for about 2 hours constantly trying to fight off spiraling thoughts.  I woke up around 9 or so with her thrashing about again.  I suppose over all I slept enough, but it was an unpleasant experience.  

I woke up with anxiety, and then after I got up I felt OK, but while I was using SA my husband was waiting for me to eat the breakfast he made for me.  That caused me anxiety.  Then, he got irritated that my daughter wouldn't eat a sausage patty because it was too chewy compared to a sausage link!  That caused me anxiety.  My husband started helping me figure out what time we need to leave the house today in order to take him to the beach before we go to a water park, and I got completely overwhelmed.   So, this morning I had a mini-melt down.

I'm trying to avoid the news.  I never feel better after reading it, only worse.  There's nothing I can do about anything right now and it does me no good to know about all the issues.  The way the headlines and the news are written is designed to cause anxiety.  I don't need any more of that!!  It is very hard to avoid looking at the news websites.  I feel disconnected from the world, but I know it's better for me.  I decided that when I saw that those Thai kids were out of that cave I would stop reading the news.  They are out, and today is my first day of cold turkey!!  I'm determined to see if I can feel better by avoiding the news!

So, now I need to get all the stuff together to go out today.

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

• Moderator Emeritus

I totally agree with you Rosetta, 

Stay away from the news. I’m not a tv watcher so I never know what’s happening unless I’m at someone’s place and they have the tv on. I watch DVDs and Netflix. Why would you want to wTch all the stress that’s happening around the world. We’ve got enough to deal with.

Sorry you had an overwhelming day, hope the next day is better💚💚

Seroquel. 2019:➡️ From 7.25mg to 5.80mg✔️ 2020➡️From 5.60 to 4.80✔️ 2021➡️From 4.60 to 4.0✔️ 2022➡️From 3.95 to 3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️
2024➡️Jan15=3.20✔️ Feb19=3.15✔️ March26=3.10✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

I woke up from a bad dream and a strong cortisol spike at 7:30 this morning.  My dream had horrible elements -- abandonment, betrayal, SI, self-harm, having to move my home, being alone emotionally, and some other negatives that I can't articulate.  I woke feeling like a terrified little child who had lost her parents and her best friend was leaving her.  I've been crying since I woke up.  It's not a hard cry.  It's just tears.  That's an improvement.  The cortisol is slowly wearing off.  It's sunny outside.

I have that feeling of being emotionally disconnected from my husband.  I miss him terribly, and he's right here everyday.  In my dream he had found someone else.  I was devastated.  The years of me being confused and anxious had taken a toll, and he fell in love with another woman.  I wanted to die.  It was so real.  I'm not worried I'll lose him that way in real life, but I am constantly worried he will have an accident.  

There was a lot of abandonment and betrayal in my life as a child.  I really thought I could grow up and run away from all that.  I thought I could make my own life, and I have.  Yet, the fear remains.  I often wonder if I would feel it this strongly if not for the WD.  I suppose not.  These are neuro-emotions.  

I've been a perfectionist because of all the chaos of my childhood.  It's made it hard for me to feel that I've done enough.  This overwhelming feeling that something terrible will happen because I can't keep my house in order is back and it's pretty strong.  I keep using CBT.  Everything is ok.  It's not ideal.  It's not comfortable, but it's ok.  It will get better.  

As to fake anxiety

In the past, I did so many things that other people were amazed by.  I was fearless.  I had normal anxiety that spurred me to make changes and get off my tail when I needed to.  This is fake anxiety.  However, our brains try to make sense of it.  So, we are constantly seeing danger everywhere.  Nothing is comfortable.  Even little things are upsetting and confusing.  It's fake, but that's very hard to internalize.  I read somewhere that the body reacts to danger before the mind and it sends the signal to the mind to react.  That makes sense.  We hear a sound or smell something without even realizing it.  But the information goes to the brain, and it reacts quickly to get us up, at attention and moving automatically.  That's what's happening -- at random -- for no reason -- over and over again.  It's exhausting.

I want to care for my husband better.  I'm worried about his health.  I'm worried that all this clutter is harming him.  He's stressed.  I want to make things better for him.   Someday I'll be able to do that.  I hope it's not too late.

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

• Mentor
2 hours ago, Rosetta said:

I woke up from a bad dream and a strong cortisol spike at 7:30 this morning.  My dream had horrible elements -- abandonment, betrayal, SI, self-harm, having to move my home, being alone emotionally, and some other negatives that I can't articulate.

((((((((((((((( Rosetta ))))))))))))))

• Prozac | late 2004-mid-2005 | CT WD in a couple months, mostly emotional
  • Sertraline 50-100mg | 11/2011-3/2014, 10/2014-3/2017
  • Sertraline fast taper March 2017, 4 weeks, OFF sertraline April 1, 2017
  • Quit alcohol May 20, 2017
  • Lifestyle changes: AA, kundalini yoga

"If you've seen a monster, even if it's horrible, that's evidence of divinity." – Damien Echols

Thanks @FarmGirlWorks. I really appreciate that.  Constantly trying to forget about it and redirect.

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

• Mentor

Good strategy, Rosetta. Redirecting definitely helps. I've been reading Success Stories more than usual recently as they help me stay on this path. Got a response today from pug who I find inspiring as he did a CT from sertraline and recovered.

• Prozac | late 2004-mid-2005 | CT WD in a couple months, mostly emotional
  • Sertraline 50-100mg | 11/2011-3/2014, 10/2014-3/2017
  • Sertraline fast taper March 2017, 4 weeks, OFF sertraline April 1, 2017
  • Quit alcohol May 20, 2017
  • Lifestyle changes: AA, kundalini yoga

"If you've seen a monster, even if it's horrible, that's evidence of divinity." – Damien Echols

It's almost 2:00 pm, and I still have tension in my face, jaw and arms.  This happened yesterday, too, but it went away in the late afternoon.

Still able to avoid the news!! Yea!

(Thank you so much @FarmGirlWorks. I wrote on your thread.)

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017