Rosetta: cold switch May 2011 & too fast taper Feb 2017

Rosetta

Today is Monday.  My last post was on Saturday.  I just spent four hours over two days combing dread locks out of my daughter’s hair.  When I gave up on it last night, I felt pretty distraught. I had only cleared about 1/3 of the tangles.  It’s very tedious work.  I don’t see well.  Normally, I keep her hair braided.  I’m trying to be grateful I was able to get the tangles out.

Trying to teach a child to be independent while fluctuating between windows and waves and cortisol spikes and trips on the emotional rollercoaster is not for the faint of heart.  I can’t stay on top of things.  I can’t nag her to comb her hair.  I can’t keep the laundry done either.  I can’t set a good example.  I do make her brush her teeth.  That failure can’t be fixed so easily.  I have to choose the lesser evils.

I’m feel that I’m wading through a mire, endlessly, while beating back the crocodiles as they surface, and never making much progress toward firm ground.  Much of the time I’m sitting on the couch resting after exhausting myself mentally by trying to do just about anything.  It’s not the same physical exhaustion I used to feel.   That was worse indeed.  It’s much more a mental exhaustion.  I feel physically exhausted after about 8/9 pm.

When I look at what I can’t do I realize how much more I can do than I could do before.  I am so much better than I was two summers ago.  I’m not sure I’m a lot better than last Summer in terms of what I can do physically, but I am much better cognitively.  I don’t think I could have taught my daughter last Summer.

Most days all I can do is:   

schoolwork,

cook, 

clean up after a meal, 

walk

Some days I can’t even do that.  The schoolwork is very taxing.  I am mentally and emotionally exhausted by that.  Some days that’s just about all I do besides make lunch.  

I wash my hair about once a week.  I can’t strip the bed every week.  I can’t do any other housework.  I might do laundry once every 2-3 weeks, and if so, it’s one to two loads.  My husband has to do most of the housework, poor guy.  A lot just doesn’t get done.  This is not how I want to live, but for now it’s the best I can do.

Getting to the clutter is nearly impossible.  I make little dents here and there, but they don’t last.

I thought I was doing pretty well the last week, but when I discover that I have let something go — like keeping my daughter’s hair combed and braided — I realize that I was not doing so well.  My husband has been saying that he sees me slipping into a wave again.  He says that when I get clumsy he knows I’m slipping into a wave.  He says the anger comes after that.

I’ve been rather clumsy lately.  I burned my arm on the oven quite badly about 5 days ago.  There’s a spot about the size of a pea that is a second degree burn.  The rest of it that is the size of two nickels is first degree.  I haven’t gone to the doctor because it seems to be healing.  I accidentally ripped the scab off the middle,  which is the second degree part, last night.  I haven’t fallen.  I’ve come close.  I keep knocking things over and dropping things.

My daughter and I have been getting along well, and I was able to play with her yesterday.  That is so rare.  I wish I could play with her every day.  She is 9 now.  She was 5 Years 9 Months when I quit Zoloft, Xanax and Trazodone.  It will have been 3 1/2 years next months.

We have been trying to get through her English Language Arts school work.  I have her caught up with what she missed last Fall, and now we are trying to complete what she should have learned after the March closure due to Covid.   We did almost everything the school sent us to do, but there was a lot her teacher did not send us.  There was no grammar, no phonics/spelling, no guidance at all regarding the point of each reading passage or writing assignment.  Now that I have taught her with an understanding of the curriculum and with a teacher’s guide, the reading and writing assignments make more sense.  We have about three weeks of work left to do.  

I’m glad that we worked on the ELA this Summer because I feel much less stressed about the Fall schoolwork.  I think she’s going to be more comfortable with it, too.  It’s still boring sometimes and tedious, but we have developed a relationship as teacher-student that will help us get through the Fall.  It was miserable to get to this point, believe me, but being past it, I think the teaching and learning experience will be better and easier.

I may not try to complete the 3rd grade math.  I’m afraid the school will start that on subject where her class left off in March.

I want to do crafts and science with her.  I keep hoping I can find the energy.  I want to build a slip n slide for her.  I want to build a treehouse.  I want to take her camping, to see the Sequoias, to see the stars and to see the comet.  I want to teach her to build a fire.  There’s so much I want to do with her before it’s too late.

I suppose I should be grateful that I have all these desires.  I could be anhedonic instead.

Night before last I was awake for a long while in the night, and then last night, I slept well until 5:30 am with only a couple of wake ups.  I had a strong cortisol spike at 5:30 that caused me to wake in a panic. I was able to go back to sleep after that.  

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/16629-rosetta-ct-may-2011-too-fast-taper-feb-2017/?page=25

2001-2011 Celexa 10 mg raised to 40 mg then 60 mg over this time period

May 2011 OB Doctor's Cold switch Celexa 60 mg to 10 mg Zoloft sertraline (baby born)

2012-2016 - Doctors raised dose of Zoloft up to 150 mg

2016 - Xanax prescribed - as needed - 0.5 mg about every 3 days (bad reaction)

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Late 2016- Began (too fast) taper of Zoloft

Early 2017 - Trazodone prescribed for bedtime (doseage unknown)

Feb 2017 - Completed taper/stopped Trazodone

Drug free since Feb 2017

2017 - Unisom otc very rarely for sleep

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rosetta

• Rabe

• wantrelief

• Carmie

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You are welcome, Mimi.  Thanks you for being here, too.  Too bad we had to meet under such circumstances, but I’m glad we did. @Mimi79   Well, last night was a night of insomnia.  I was awak

Londoner,   You haven’t lived yet if you are 30 and you have been battling these drugs for 11 years.  There is so much out there in the world that is awe-inspiring. You can’t appreciate it b

My Dear Friend, I have been reading your posts.  I am so sorry things have been so rocky of late....made my heart ache to read it all. Then I got to your most recent posts and was so so grateful

@Rosetta

hello my sweet friend. I know your not feeling the best and I know you can’t keep up with everything you want to keep up with but you are noting that you are much better. I can relate and I can relate to the stuff with your daughter as I have two kids and feel like an awful mother. My house is not as clean as I would like either. Physically it’s a lot to keep up with. I also have my dogs and raising puppies so I’m literally always busy and it’s saving my life. Right now I can’t keep up with everything in the house I try to be gentle on myself with that, easier said than done. Honestly I find myself saying, Atleast I’m alive. The other stuff is just stuff as annoying and irritating it is to not be super clean an organized I do my best everyday. The mental stuff for me is still a daily struggle so I note that as well. You are healing and I think maybe I’m wrong but I think your in a place where your doing more normal life and normal things are becoming more frustrating and that’s a huge stage of healing! Like now your upset you can’t finish your daughters hair or make a dent in organizing you know? Before it was just getting through the day. It’s hard to see I understand 100% but your healing. And this time next year you’ll be able to do so much more. I’m so glad to hear you got to play with your daughter. My fiancé wrote me this morning and said it was so nice to see me laugh last night. I think part of this journey is learning how to take the teeny tiny accomplishments and be “proud” of even the little things! I’m no where near where you are. Mentally it’s still very hard, I’m looking forward to the day that I’m confident in my healing & the suicidal and akasthia stuff is gone completely. Hugs to you

13 months on 25 mg of sertraline.

Fast taper in march 2018, reinstated 12.5mg

Cold turkey sertraline april 17,2018

Zyprexa 5mg april 17,2018

Zyprexa taper to lamictal May 4-13 (life threatening rash)

Back on zyprexa 5mg for 10days & tapered over 5 weeks.

21 months off sertraline 

19 months off zyprexa

22 months into withdrawl 

Hi Rosetta!  I have SO missed you!  I am working on a new computer.  In the mean time someone nearby in this building has allowed me to use hers now and then which is so kind!!  Im so grateful!!

On 7/20/2020 at 7:35 PM, Rosetta said:

I’m trying to be grateful I was able to get the tangles out.

I was wondering if you have ever used a detangler on your daughters hair?  I didnt even know there was one.  My daughter uses it on Evie's hair and it is unbelievable how well it works!  I was amazed!!  I dont know the name of it but I can sure get it for you if you'd like.  😀

I make little dents here and there, but they don’t last.  

I can’t keep the laundry done either.

I can remember when just the thought of trying to declutter or do the laundry was too over whelming, much less making a dent.  Do you remember?  Im so excited about your dents and your laundry!!

I burned my arm on the oven quite badly about 5 days ago.  

Im so sorry Rosetta!!  I burn myself in this oven nearly every week! I know they hurt! I did finally get one of those mitts.  

You dont want it to get infected though.  I use Emu Oil on my burns and just about everything that is sore.  It is a miracle oil truly and has been used on burn patients.  I get it from Olivu online.  I healed a cellulitis in my big toe after bumping it badly with the oil.  The doctor couldn't believe it.  She had wanted me to take antibiotics.  Do you  think the clumsiness could be a later part of the healing?  Because I dont remember you mentioning it in r/t waves before? 

My daughter and I have been getting along well, and I was able to play with her yesterday.  That is so rare.  I wish I could play with her every day.

This makes my heart sing!!!   💞

There was no grammar, no phonics/spelling, no guidance at all regarding the point of each reading passage or writing assignment.  Now that I have taught her with an understanding of the curriculum and with a teacher’s guide, the reading and writing assignments make more sense.  We have about three weeks of work left to do.  

Most parents wouldn't recognize this much less figure out what to do to correct it!  I think that is so so wonderful Rosetta....you are truly amazing!!  That whole thought was so clear and strong and positive.  Seems when you are teaching/working in that part of your mind you sound so confidant and strong.

I suppose I should be grateful that I have all these desires.

Yes!!  I was thinking the same thing...how wonderful it was that you were WANTing to do so many things!!  I hope I get to that point!!

This is not how I want to live, but for now it’s the best I can do.

From what I have read along the way you have ALWAYS done your best and far far more, Rosetta.  And I have always thought you to be such a loving mom, wife, friend ....and a most special person!  Blessings and love to you!!  Hope you sleep well!💜

-Nardil 1976 < year, stopped. React to AD's. Klonopin .5BID 1990, 2.5mg til 2016

-Klonopin doubled Jan '16. Taper to 2.25mg May to Nov '16. Bad react to Lexapro, stop. React to Prevacid too, taper off. 

-November '16 Tapered .25mg Klonopin in hospital. Jan '17 started Viibryd, 20mg from Feb to June '17,     

-20mg to 10mg Viibryd from 3/25 to 6/10 2017, 12/15 10% Viibryd taper...back up next day

-Clonazepam 2mg to 1.85mg 4/14 '17 to end November; taper to 1mg Clonazepam in hospital 9/1 tp 9/14 '17

-Feb '18 Amiloride .25mg  5/18 off Amiloride d/t react. Clonaz compounded  

-4/27 '18 Viibryd 9.5mg, 6/11 9.0 mg, 1/27 '19 Viibryd 8.75mg, ; Clonazepam .2mg 530pm and .7mg 1130pm, Premarin .3mg 830PM CARAFATE QID 2/27/19 to 3/5/19

-July 6'19 1/2 10mg Claritin 230pm, stopped it about July 18, started Oct 11 '19, 

-7/27 Viibryd 8.5, 8/29 8.25, 10/24 8.0, 12/19 7.75, Feb '20 7.50, 3/20 7.25, 5/20 7.0, 6/20 6.75, 7/20 6.5, 8/20 6.25, 10/2 20 6.0, 11/25'20 5.75, 1/9/21 5.5, 2/23 5.25

-1015 AM Viibryd, vit D 4,000IU 130, 415 Clonazepam .2mg, 815 Premarin .3mg, 1015 Clonaz .7mg,

1115 3t fish oil+D 1145 Castor Oil 650mg(4) 1230 Carafate 1/2GM,Methylated B Vit  1/week,Reacted Mag prn

They multiple, nightly cortisol jolts continue over and over.  During the day, I am ok, usually.  I had a day with high anxiety recently, but the last few have been better.  

Life isn’t bad except in the night and right after wake up in the morning.  It’s hard to get going in the morning.  I often think that if I got up instead of falling asleep again, and having another cortisol spike, I would feel better over all.  I don’t do that.  I try to get more sleep and my sleep is so broken. After a spike, I have a hot flash, and then I get very cold, it’s hard to fall asleep again, and the cycle repeats.  At least my days are ok.  I’m not anxious this morning, for instance.

I have not been having much dystonia lately.  I’m not depressed.  I’m not anhedonic.  

I am, however, lonely, but it’s circumstantial.  I don’t feel lonely-depressed.  No one ever calls me.  I have no friends.  That is probably the worse part of the pandemic for me.  The friends I did have are gone.  They are living their lives, ignoring the pandemic, and never make any effort to say hello.  I try to message them every so often, but because it’s always me making the effort, I get discouraged.  They respond, but then the silence begins again.    That’s the way it is when I live in a place I don’t belong where the people don’t share my values, I suppose.  They weren’t really friends.  That realization makes me sad.

I have a couple of people who could become friends.  I’m working on those relationships, and I know that if I keep trying there’s a chance there will be a friendship there.  They are both so afraid of catching Covid that it’s hard to get together, but we do sometimes.  Their kids are friends with my daughter.  That’s what’s important - that she has friends.

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/16629-rosetta-ct-may-2011-too-fast-taper-feb-2017/?page=25

May 2011 OB Doctor's Cold switch Celexa 60 mg to 10 mg Zoloft sertraline (baby born)

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

So, here’s the positive part:  I flew a kite yesterday.  I got it aloft, and then I gave it to my daughter.  That was the first time she flew a kite.  She loved it.  We were at the beach.  She had been swimming with her father.  I wish I had pictures.  

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

@Rabe I’m so happy to hear from you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  You sound as if you are better.  That is wonderful.  Everything about your writing indicates you are healing.  I’m so happy to see that. I can’t wait to see more of your posts.  I hope you can get the computer soon.  I use a smart phone for most of my posts.  Maybe you could check that out.  

@Elyssa143  Aww, thanks for your encouraging words.  I really need those sometimes.  I DO have friends!  They are here.

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

Having fairly intense cortisol awakenings.  Last night, I was up for quite a while Until about 5:30 am after several nights of sleeping until 5:30 am with only short periods of wakefulness.  A cortisol  awakening happened again at around 8:00 am.  Then I was quite anxious for hours.  it was around 1:00 pm before it stopped.

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

@Rosetta

im very sorry your having such a hard time with the cortisol mornings :(. Sounds like your adrenals are really trying to adjust? Do you take any vitamins or supplements? I’m having a really hard time with the akasthia :( 29 months this week, really praying that lessens for me and the suicidal goes soon. Hugs to you-

21 months off sertraline 

19 months off zyprexa

22 months into withdrawl 

Up again for the second night in a row.  I think I woke up at about 3:00.  Yesterday, it was similar and I was up until 5:30 or 6.

I have dystonia from using my hand too much to order Legos.  

Today was much less anxious.  It’s remarkable how calm I felt today compared to the other day when I had a surge of anxiety.

I worry a lot when I’m awake in the night.

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

It’s 4:30 a.m.  I’ve been up since about 2:00 maybe.  I have mild akathisia.  I had it when I went to bed, too.  When I woke up, I was afraid, but I know this is just a dysfunction of the cortisol or adrenaline release.  So tiring.  I’ll fall asleep again, eventually.

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

Now, it’s almost 6.  Every time I fall asleep, I wake up to a cortisol spike and a hot flash.

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

Oh Rosetta, I am really sorry you are going through this.....it sounds so challenging to deal with not only not sleeping but then when you do, the cortisol spikes as well. It will straighten itself out but in the meantime, you are being your usual brave and courageous self to get through it.  I hope things settle soon.  Thinking of you, WR.

-1/06 - 3/07 Cymbalta. Fast taper; withdrawal symptoms after 4 mos (didn't realize was WD)

-10/07: 100 mg Zoloft; 1 mg Klonopin - tapered off Klonopin
-Tried several times to slowly taper Zoloft by 10%, then 5% every 4-6 weeks; could never get below approx. 40 mg - spring 2012 experienced major WD symptoms due to stress; tried to updose but no relief, back on Klonopin 1 mg.
-Switched over 5-6 mos from Zoloft to Citalopram. Finished Zoloft 1/13; Citalopram 35 mg and 1 mg Klonopin.
-8/13: 27 mg Citalopram; 1 mg Klonopin

-11/14: 12.6 Citalopram - began to have bad withdrawal symptoms; out of desperation increased to 1.25 mg Klonopin at the beginning of December.  12/13/14 16 mg Citalopram - going to stay here to try to stabilize; stabilized on 16 mg Citalopram after 4-5 months

-7/15 - 3/16: reduced to 15 mg; ~ 2 months later w/d hit hard (probably r/t stress); 6/16 updosed to 20 mg Citalopram and trying to stabilize. Updosed to 1.5 Klonopin as well. Stabilized on 20 mg Citalopram after 4-5 months

8/17-9/17: feeling withdrawal symptoms at 20 mg Citalopram (due to stress) - slowly increased to 25 mg. No change in symptoms after 6 months (? tolerance ?)  - decided to start citalopram taper February 2018 (still on Klonopin 1.5 mg).

Supplements: fish oil; magnesium; vitamin D3; curcumin

Citalopram taper:  2/2018 - 12/2019: 25 mg - 11.03 mg I 2020: 10.89 mg - 7.9 mg

2021: 1/3/21: 7.8 mg (1.27% drop); 1/24/21: 7.7 mg (1.29%); 1/31/21: 7.6 mg (1.17%); 2/7/21: 7.5 mg (1.19%); 2/14/21: 7.4 mg (1.34%); 2/28/21: 7.3 mg (1.25%); 3/7/21: 7.2 mg (1.25%); 3/21/21: 7.1 mg (1.25%); 3/28/21: 7.0 mg (1.25%); 4/25/21 - 5/5/21 : generic clonazepam switch; 5/16/21: 6.9 mg (1.25%); 5/23/21: 6.85 mg (1.25%); 5/30/21: 6.8 mg (1.25%); 6/6/21: 6.7 mg (1.25%)

❤ Sending you lot of love Rosetta  ❤

2006 : 20mg Paroxetine + Bromazepam(no specific dose) 2008 : cold turkey of both

2010 : 20mg Deroxat + Bromazepam

2013: Switch from Bromazepam To Prazepam

2014-June2017 : Prazepam taper

2018 to August 2019 : Paroxetine 20mg taper (3% every 15 days).

- 22nd August updosed To 10mg (was at 8.4mg)

25th Sept 2019 To April 2020 : found SA, holding at 10mg Paroxetine. 

April 2020 : Paxil to Prozac bridge. Details topic/21457-

Current Supplements : magnesium citrate/ fish oil/ evening primrose oil 

Current medication :  7mg Fluoxetine (since 20 Aug 2020)

+ 1mg Diazepam (since 29 Aug 2020)

(Toothpick Paroxetine from September 2020 to 17th March 2021)

Thank you, Errell and Wantrelief.  I know you are both dealing with your own issues.

Yesterday morning, I finally took some Benadryl.  I slept from about 6:30 am until 10, and I was groggy for much of the day.  

I went to bed at about 9:30.  I just woke up to a cortisol spike at 12:45 am.

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

Another spike at 2:50 am

Hot flash

Then, by 3:00, I’m cold

Not feeling as sick to my stomach as usual

Some akathisia feeling in my limbs and chest.
I’m very tired

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

I woke up at 7 without a strong spike.  I was cold instead of hot.  Not sweaty.  Perhaps there was no hot flash.  I had been clenching my jaw.  Back to sleep.  I awakened with a stronger spike at 7:20.  Hot flash.  I’m still so tired.  I want to sleep again, but I don’t want to experience another spike.

I have been having cramps in my calves the last few nights.  This happened during my last wave.  Potassium deficiency perhaps?

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

Four wake ups so far.  The first was around 12:30 am, I don’t know the time of the second, and the third was just before 5:00.  That one was the strongest.  The fourth was at 5:45.  That one was not as bad, but I am so, so tired of this.  The third made me sick to my stomach, and so did the fourth one.  The third made my heart ache like it would after I was frightened suddenly.  Exhausting.

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

Oh dear, these cortisol spikes can really exhaust us !

I'm thinking of you, remember that we are here to support you ❤

2006 : 20mg Paroxetine + Bromazepam(no specific dose) 2008 : cold turkey of both

• Mentor
23 minutes ago, Rosetta said:

Four wake ups so far.  The first was around 12:30 am, I don’t know the time of the second, and the third was just before 5:00.  That one was the strongest.  The fourth was at 5:45.  That one was not as bad, but I am so, so tired of this.  The third made me sick to my stomach, and so did the fourth one.  The third made my heart ache like it would after I was frightened suddenly.  Exhausting.

Rosetta:

I'm sorry you are going through this. Like Erell said, they are exhausting!

I hope you find some relief soon.

Take care,

Frogie xx

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal and Prilosec from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine

Xanax 1mg three times a day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) three times a day to .003 grams three times a day.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional. The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

Thanks @Frogie @Erell @Elyssa143 @Rabe

You are all so kind to write to me here.  I’m very lonely most of the time.

I did have two play dates the last week, and it was nice to talk to another adult besides my husband.  It was exhausting, and I had had little sleep, but it was still nice.  Reminding the kids to stay away from each other is a never ending issue.  It’s like having a toddler again who might hurt a baby if we are not constantly vigilant!  It really is.

Last night, I didn’t fall asleep.  Really amazing given his little sleep I have had.  Finally, at 2:00 am, I went to sleep after taking Benadryl, and I didn’t wake up in a cortisol spike.  At one point, I went to the bathroom, but I went right back to sleep.  At about 7:30 a.m, I awakened and anxiety began to build from there.  It was mild, and I have been able to have a normal day thus far.

I haven’t been taking supplements, but I’m think about trying magnesium or fish oil.

Yes, homeschooling it is for the next month and a half at least.  We have been working on English Language Arts all Sunner to catch up with what we missed last Fall.  We did some writing and research.  (It’s amazing, but kids are taught research in Third Grade.  They aren’t expected to learn it; it’s covered to expose them to the concept.  At this time, I am trying to get through what she missed after the school closed — grammar, phonics, spelling, Latin roots, suffixes, and prefixes.  Very little of that was covered in the “distance learning.”  

We have been ignoring math for a couple of months, and getting back to it is painful.    I’m trying to make it fun, but failing, I’m afraid.

School starts at the end of August, but we will all be at home until the end of September.  After that, the idea is that half of the kids will go to school for 1/2 of the day, and the other half will go in the afternoon.  I’m trying to “cross that bridge” when I come to it, but I’m sick with fear, frequently, that we will get sick or die if she goes back to school.  I’m not sure what I’ll do if the day comes whf. She’s suppose to go there.  We have the option of staying home, but the school forced us to choose one of the two plans about two weeks ago.  We didn’t want to choose full distance learning for the next 4 months without knowing what the situation might be in late August.  I hope we will stay home until January.

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

@Rosetta

i understand completely! I’m sorry your having to deal with the school situation as well. We’re doing online too Atleast for the first nine weeks. That’s stressful on top of how I feel already. The inner akasthia has been pretty relentless lately. I do have much better hours and some really good times but then back down again. The suicidal stuff is still here and makes things extremely hard :( I’m scared I won’t make it. The feeling of dread and inner akasthia in my chest is so hard too. I’m sure u can relate. 29 months, really holding onto that 3 year marks as this stuff will improve I pray. I can’t live forever like this. Hugs to u sweet lady, I’m always here to talk!!! I am glad u didn’t have the cortisol morning that’s huge!!!

21 months off sertraline 

19 months off zyprexa

22 months into withdrawl 

Headache for 3 days.  It finally lessened around 9 o’clock last night.  It’s 4:00 am.  Hot flashes and cortisol spikes keep waking me, over and over.  I’m so tired.  I want to sleep, but . . . This is Hell.  I know it will stop eventually.  I have to keep telling myself that.

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

4 hours ago, Rosetta said:

Headache for 3 days.  It finally lessened around 9 o’clock last night.  It’s 4:00 am.  Hot flashes and cortisol spikes keep waking me, over and over.  I’m so tired.  I want to sleep, but . . . This is Hell.  I know it will stop eventually.  I have to keep telling myself that.

It will, it will ! ❤💪

Yes, Errol, it will. @Erell

I need to test this idea, but I may have found a solution to cortisol wake ups.  A couple of times, I have placed my shoulder wrap (bead filled heating pad shaped like a rectangle) on my chest.  I did that because my muscles were tense all across my chest (and my shoulders and my neck, my head, my face, etc.).  Last night, I did it to see if the warmth from the pad would help me sleep.  It did.  I don’t know if the weight or the warmth or both helped.  I didn’t have another cortisol wake up.  Oh, if this could be the key!!!

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

@Elyssa143 This is a hard time for you.  Telling you it will end helps very little, I know.  As far as school, after having taught my daughter through akathisia, I do not recommend it.  My anxiety and anger made it all much, much worse.  She didn’t learn much except to hate having me as a teacher.  I’m hoping that your school will do a better job of distance learning than ours did last Spring, and you can leave the teaching up to the teachers.  Depending on the ages of your kids, I can recommend shows on Netflix and Prime that teach a lot in a fun way.

Hang in there!

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

Went to bed late — about 11:00.  Slept most of the night for a change.  Had two strong cortisol spikes this morning.  The kind that make me wake wake up terrified as if I had a very bad dream.  The first was at about 6:30.  I tried to go back to sleep, and I had another at about 7:00.  I decided to get up to avoid a thirds. 

I don’t think the weighted heating pad helps.  What a shame.

Otherwise, my mental state is not too bad. My days aren’t too bad.  I’m doing ok except for the tiredness and lack of motivation.

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

1 hour ago, Rosetta said:

Otherwise, my mental state is not too bad. My days aren’t too bad.  I’m doing ok except for the tiredness and lack of motivation.

I'm sorry to hear (read) about the disturbed sleep, but glad to read you're doing ok.

Healing is taking place ☀️

I know I'll read your Success Story one day, and can't wait for it 😊

Someday, @Erell.  Someday.

I had akathisia yesterday morning after I posted my update.  I had to wait for it to go away before I could be with my family.  Eventually, it did.  On the night last night, I had a cortisol awakening at about 3, but I was able to go back to sleep.   This morning, I had at least 2 before 7 am.  I feel awful when I wake up everyday.  It’s hard to live this way.  It’s hard to believe I’ve been waking up like this for so long.  Once in a while, I wake up feeling ok.

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

Hard night. Awake at about 3:00 until about 5:30 or 6 am.  Several cortisol spikes.  Two around 3:00 am.  Two around 5:00 am.  Akathisia today.  It’s almost 3:00 pm, and I still have akathisia.

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

• Mentor

Hi @Rosetta

Sorry to hear about your struggles 

I hope you will get some relief soon.

My best wishes to you🙏

Prescribed Paxil 20 mg year 2000 for panic attacks.

Many attempts through out the years to quit.

2019 tapered from 20 mg to 10 mg. Got stuck there, decided to bridge with Fluoxetine. 
2020 March off Fluoxetine 

2020 Oct- nov started deteriorating, followed by severe crash. 2021 Reinstated fluoxetine by small amount, until I reach 9 mg

12/5 2021- 8.5 mg 21/5 8.0 mg holding 

Hi Rosetta,

I see you’re having hard times. I hope that you will be better soon. You are a strong person, I’m sure you will...

I have a question (maybe I’m ignorant), what does it look like to have cortisol spike? What the symptoms are? I was thinking that I didn’t have it, but I’ve had some hard wake up in the last couple of weeks, with awful nightmares, and I’m questioning myself if it is caused by cortisol spikes. 
Take care of you, dear Rosetta! 

Mimi

2008-2019: various ADs at various doses, initially for anxiety related insomnia.

2015: C/T Paxil - GP switch me to Mirtazapine and Pristiq. 2018: Switched Pristiq to Venlafaxine (For tapering)

2019-01: Stopped Venlafaxine after a 10 months taper. Updosed Mirtazapine to 45mg.

Summer 2019: Fast taper of Mirtazapine. Sept 2019, down to 30mg, hit bad W/D symptoms, so updosed to 45mg.

Tried escitalopram 10mg, C/T after 4 weeks. Tried Buspar, C/T after 5 days.

Jan 2020: Second mirtazapine weaning attempt, but end of january, big wave of symptoms, back to 45mg Mirtazapine.

Feb 2020: 50mg quetiapineXR, CT after 1 week. 21 Feb 2020, found SA and staying on 45mg Mirtazapine, waiting for stabilization.

Quetiapine 25mg  PRN since may 2019, March 2020 stopped.

Mirtazapine taper, from 45mg:  2020-10-21 43.88mg, 10-28 42.75mg, 11-04 41.63mg, 11-11 40.5mg, 11-24 41.6mg, 12-03 42.20mg, updose 2021–01-15 to 42,7 and holding.

Ativan prn since jan 2021. Became accidentally dep. March 2021.
2021-03-21 Ativan 0,29mg / 2021-03-28 0.28mg/ 2021-04-08 0.27mg/ 2021-04-26 0.25mg

Supplements: Magnesium Glycinate, Omega-3, D vit, Probiotic.

Spikes at 12 midnight, 3:00 and again about 3:30.

Thank you, @Hanna72

@Mimi79 Some are more intense than others.  Tonight they are quite strong.  I wake up afraid as if there was a loud noise or someone attacked me.  My heart is hurting.  It’s being squeezed hard.  Am I having a heart attack?  My stomach feels sick.  It’s that feeling I get if someone tells me really bad news.  It lingers.  So does the heart ache.  I know some sort of hormone like adrenaline has been delivered to both my heart and gut.  I worry  about what this is doing to my body; what long term consequences are there?  

Slowly it fades.  I’m tired, even sleepy, but I’m wired at the same time.  I worry about the past, the future, what I have lost, and what I will lose.  It’s very emotional, but also intensely physical.

At times the spikes are milder.  I wake up, feel scared for a while, and go back to sleep.  At those times there is no pain in my chest or sickness in my stomach.  There might be hot flashes and cold sweats.  These don’t seem to occur when I feel very sick in the aftermath.  Maybe they do, but not tonight.  

I’m afraid to fall back asleep, but I’m so tired I can’t help it.  

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

It’s 5:44.  I had another spike.  I had finally fallen asleep.  I was up since 3:00.  I’m having daymares again.  The thought of horrible things happening.  Very visual.  I’m sick to my stomach again.  My heart doesn’t hurt too much compared to earlier.  I’m having akathisia again.  My legs are restless, I’m nervous, anxious.  Wishing I had never been born,

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

I was up from about 3:00 am until about 5:00 am last night after a cortisol spike.  I woke with a cortisol spike at about 6:90, but it wasn’t too harsh.  Then I slept until about 8:00.  No aka, not much anxiety today.  I have restless legs tonight interfering with going to sleep.  I have my heating pad on my legs.

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

• Altostrata changed the title to Rosetta: Cold Switch May 2011 & too fast taper Feb 2017

How are you, dear Rosetta?

2008-2019: various ADs at various doses, initially for anxiety related insomnia.

2015: C/T Paxil - GP switch me to Mirtazapine and Pristiq. 2018: Switched Pristiq to Venlafaxine (For tapering)

2019-01: Stopped Venlafaxine after a 10 months taper. Updosed Mirtazapine to 45mg.

Summer 2019: Fast taper of Mirtazapine. Sept 2019, down to 30mg, hit bad W/D symptoms, so updosed to 45mg.

Tried escitalopram 10mg, C/T after 4 weeks. Tried Buspar, C/T after 5 days.

Jan 2020: Second mirtazapine weaning attempt, but end of january, big wave of symptoms, back to 45mg Mirtazapine.

Feb 2020: 50mg quetiapineXR, CT after 1 week. 21 Feb 2020, found SA and staying on 45mg Mirtazapine, waiting for stabilization.

Quetiapine 25mg  PRN since may 2019, March 2020 stopped.

Mirtazapine taper, from 45mg:  2020-10-21 43.88mg, 10-28 42.75mg, 11-04 41.63mg, 11-11 40.5mg, 11-24 41.6mg, 12-03 42.20mg, updose 2021–01-15 to 42,7 and holding.

Ativan prn since jan 2021. Became accidentally dep. March 2021.
2021-03-21 Ativan 0,29mg / 2021-03-28 0.28mg/ 2021-04-08 0.27mg/ 2021-04-26 0.25mg

Supplements: Magnesium Glycinate, Omega-3, D vit, Probiotic.

• ChessieCat changed the title to Rosetta: cold switch May 2011 & too fast taper Feb 2017

I am better.  The cortisol spikes still happen, but they are weaker.  I’m awake for hours perhaps or only 1/2 an hour, but I don’t feel sick to my stomach.  Tonight, I’m having muscle tension, and I’m clenching my jaw.  This is better than what was happening before!

@Hanna72 @Mimi79 @Elyssa143 @Frogie @wantrelief Thank you all for being there for me recently.  It was very helpful.  I think I’m in what is a window for me.  It’s still hard, but I’m better.  All my love to you, and I hope you are doing well.

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017