Rosetta: cold switch May 2011 & too fast taper Feb 2017

Rosetta

Hi Rosetta, i was just searching on SA about akathisia and came across one of your updates a couple of years ago talking about being 'completely sane in the middle on insanity' and that just resonated me so much. It's like your mind is experiencing this unbearable emotion pain and tension, and you, the experiencer are aware you're grounded safely in reality yet helpless to feel it anyway.

It truly feels like my brain has been hijacked by some outside force. Anyway, probably a throwback for you but wanted to thank you for such a brilliant description of the experience

Started Lexapro 5mg Mid March 2020

Came off Completely September 2020

Hospitalised september 2021

Slowly worked up to 50mg lamictal and 60mg Prozac

reduced to 20mg Prozac September 2021

Holding 20mg Prozac and 50mg Lamictal for a good while to stabilise. November 2021

• Mentor
On 5/31/2021 at 12:45 PM, Rosetta said:

I wrote this to someone.  I think it is a very good way to help yourself get through the days with WD.

My suggestion is that you Create soothing rituals and do not give up on them if they don’t work.  

Exactly. I have come to understand that it is the nature of things that they don't always work. Sometimes nothing helps. That's just part of being human. But it's important to try. 

It's not a formula--do this and then that will go away. That is a very western--dare I say capitalist?--slant on things. I think it's an immature way to look at it. It's about the experience. It's about being with.

I also agree with you that over time, rituals themselves can create comfort and help!

Now: 100 mg Zoloft am, 50 mg Trazodone.  Daily drug burden decreased from 2050 in 2018 mg to 150 mg 🐢🐢

Zoloft: 1/24/23 increased to 100 mg after suicide attempt 9/17/22 cut 6 mg, 8/14/22 cut 6.5 mg, 5/7/22 cut 12.5 mg 3/20/22 cut 12.5 mg 10/26/21 cut 6 mg 10/17/21 cut 5 mg, 9/17/21 Cut 3 mg,  9/13/21 cut 4 mg, 8/29/21 Cut 2 mg 8/8/21 Cut 3 mg  7/30/21 Zoloft: Converted 25 mg to liquid. Also take 100 mg pill & 25 mg pill=150 mg total
🌞 Feb 28, 2021 0 mg Gapapentin 2021 Gaba each dose 4x/day: Feb 27 7 mg (one dose only), Feb 10, 7 mg, Jan 14 10 mg 2020 Current taper schedule from Aug 30-present: drop 8 mg every 2-3 weeks. Aug 20 31 mg, Aug 18, 33 mg, July 29, 35 mg, July 23 38 mg, July 22 40 mg Jun 24 42 mg, Jun 15 44 mg, Jun 9 48 mg, May 22 50 mg, May 14 54 mg, May 7 56 mg, Apr 16 58 mg, Mar 28 60 mg, Mar 18 62 mg. Feb 26 64 mg. Feb 19, 66 mg. Jan 23, 70 mg. 2019 Dec 19, 72 mg. Nov 14 ,76 mg. Aug 8, 80 mg. Aug 6, 85 mg. Jul 26, 90 mg. Jul 11, 95 mg.

Jul 16 trazodone from 100 to 50 mg.

Jun 17-July 10 Slowly changed gab fr pill to liquid at same dose 100 mg 4x/d.

Apr 24 Stopped klon!!! 🌞 Apr 4  Decreased gaba to 400 mg (100 mg 4x/day)-Apr 4, 2019   0.25 klon March 11  Klonopin .5 mg twice daily, varied dose til Apr 15. Started Klon fast taper 25%, short use

Mar 16, 450 mg gaba 3x/day cut 600 mg--not exact!--updose after learning w/d

Feb 20, 2019 1800 mg gabapentin; MD taper; off 3 days=mvt disorder & autonomic instability. July 2018 temazepam 15 mg 1-2; prn several x/wk til Jan/Feb 2019 when cold turkey, flu illness for months

July 2018 started gabapentin 100 3x/day; titrated up to 1800 mg (600 3x/day)

Buspar, I forget how much, 2 pills a day Jan 2017-July 2018 cold turkey. On Zoloft since maybe 2004? After trying many.

*I speak from my experience. Nothing I say is medical advice. I'm not a doctor.

@mva96 @ShiningLight  Thanks for dropping by.  I’m glad you found something useful in my musings.

Day before yesterday I had 2 cortisol awakenings, fear upon awakening, on the same morning several hours apart.  I had hot flashes after I awoke and then felt cold.  I was able to go back to sleep.  Last night, I felt activated at bedtime and didn’t fall asleep until late — about midnight.  This morning, I woke up at about 5:30.    I did not have a feeling of fear at that time.  I have had no problem sleeping late after I fell back asleep either morning.

Dystonia has not been much of a problem lately.  Tonight, I have a feeling of having a sore throat on my right side — the Dystonia side.  This has been happening off and on for months or years.  It always goes away.  

Other than feeling tired and low energy, I have been feeling pretty good the last few days.  Life is very quite right now.  No drama or big problems.  I’m lethargic most of the time.  My house is still a wreck, but Covid keeps everyone away at least.  It bothers me less, but I would like it to be fixed.  I hope I will find the energy soon.

Over the long weekend we went to stay at my mother in law’s guest house.  It was relatively easy to get packed to go.  I didn’t get stressed and freak out.  I felt quite irritated as we were trying to pack to go home.  I was tired.  That was on Sunday — about a week ago.

My husband says I am always worse February through May and by June, I am doing better.

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/16629-rosetta-ct-may-2011-too-fast-taper-feb-2017/?page=25

2001-2011 Celexa 10 mg raised to 40 mg then 60 mg over this time period

May 2011 OB Doctor's Cold switch Celexa 60 mg to 10 mg Zoloft sertraline (baby born)

2012-2016 - Doctors raised dose of Zoloft up to 150 mg

2016 - Xanax prescribed - as needed - 0.5 mg about every 3 days (bad reaction)

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Late 2016- Began (too fast) taper of Zoloft

Early 2017 - Trazodone prescribed for bedtime (doseage unknown)

Feb 2017 - Completed taper/stopped Trazodone

Drug free since Feb 2017

2017 - Unisom otc very rarely for sleep

Hey Rosetta-  I wanted to drop in on your thread and let you know how much i appreciate the support you’ve given to everyone.  I’m about 11 months off lexapro and a few other things, all short term, and I’ve recently hit a wave that i believe May be aka.  As I’ve learned more about it, i might have had a less severe case of it from the beginning.  I’m reaching out Because I’ve seen you have managed it for awhile.  My current systems which leads me to believe i am dealing with it is I’ve hard that feeling of inner restlessness (really throughout this, especially in my legs), I’m very jumpy (I’ve called it my startle reflex), i don’t handle crowds or things like that well, and now recently I’ve been waking with a feeling of fear or terror, gloom like i might die.  The reason I’m reaching out is trying to get thoughts on how to manage it.  Last night was very intense.  In fact my body just feels spent this morning. A small amount of that fear is left and my body is just off now. I’ve really backed off activities lately, especially driving.  I had been driving 3 days a week up to 5 hours a day plus working.  Up until about a month ago or so, i managed this okay.  I also was busy with my 3 kids doing all kinds of activities with them.  Again, i had symptoms but nothing like this.  So i backed off at the first inclination of it causing problems. I did drive 3 hours on Thursday last week and i feel like Friday this started to ramp up and last night was the peak.  My question is when you have your flare ups, do you just totally back away?  Right now i don’t feel like i could do anything but I’ll go for a very short light walk in nature because in know that is helpful.  Otherwise I’ll sit back today which is hard with 3 kids and a wife. Any suggestions or insight is greatly appreciated.  And thanks again for being a shining star for us all here. 

2003-2006-  Zoloft then Wellbutrin, Ritalin, concerta , Adderall.  Don’t remember dosage, tapers or timeframes. ADD treatment. I think I had some WD?  Definitely PSSD which resolved over time. 

Zoloft  100 MG April18-april 22, 2020

Buspirone 20 mg from April 18-May 18

10 mg from May 18 - May 27 2020

Lexapro 5 mg from April 22 through May 1st

10 mg from May 1 through June 1

5 mg from June 1 though june 18

2.5 mg from June 18 through June 25

1.25 mg from June 25 through July 4 2020

Ambien -  2.5 mg  April 21 and 26 2020

Trazodone 50 mg-  3 times late April and 4 days the first week in June 2020

Supplements:  Melatonin .23 mg

By the way, I’m sorry.  I should have tagged you on my thread.  I’m not the best with these things!  

2003-2006-  Zoloft then Wellbutrin, Ritalin, concerta , Adderall.  Don’t remember dosage, tapers or timeframes. ADD treatment. I think I had some WD?  Definitely PSSD which resolved over time. 

@Rosetta I'm finally having a small window today (I call a window feeling 50% right now haha) and was able to read through your story. Your symptoms and mine line up so well. I felt like I was reading my own journal sometimes. I actually just developed dystonia after 3 months off. I called it inner vibrations, so now I know what that is. My back starts shaking while I'm just sitting on my laptop laying down. It's very weird. I almost feel like it's making me motion sick sometimes. Anyway, thanks again for all the well written posts. 

5/24 - Started .5mg - 1 Klonopin as needed - 7/20 - Started Lexapro 5mg (still on Klonopin) - 7/27 - Lexapro 10mg - 8/5 - Started tapering Klonopin stabilizing on a daily dose of .25mg - 8/17 - Jumped at .065 (fast taper... but it seemed to work)

8/17 - Lexapro to 9mg (time to get rid of the next drug..) - 8/29 - Lexapro to 6.5mg from 9mg (probably too fast but I had only been on Lexapro for a month so I felt like I could get away with it), 9/8-9/13 - Had alcohol all week sporadically (1 to 2 drinks) because I was feeling so much better. I tested with 1 drink, got away with it, and just kind of got excited.. ugh 

9/13 - Lexapro was down to 2.78mg (so 8/29-9/13 6.5 to 2.78mg) way too fast I know. 9/14 - Had a dentist appointment, received probably Lidocaine - Had mild anxiety in the afternoon after Novocaine wore off - 9/15 - Feels like I'm starting back into acute benzo withdrawal, 9/16 - Definitely very back into acute something, feels like Benzo withdrawal with severe burning sensation on skin, doing laps around the house. 

9/17 - Updosed Lexapro to 3.9mg 

9/19 - Updosed Lexapro more to 4.46mg

9/21-9/22 - reinstated Klonopin for 2 days .03125 mg 

9/26-10/16 - reinstated Klonopin again .03125 mg-.046875mg 

9/29-12/1 - reinstated Klonopin again - 03215mg-.065mg Klonopin

12/1 - 0 Klonopin

3/2 - .67mg Lexapro - Having a terrible month

3/12 - 0 Lexapro - advised it may actually be causing adverse side effects

@Fightinghard

I’m responding to your post on my thread about akathisia.  Maybe you have a mild to moderate case of aka or maybe you have pretty extreme anxiety that increases and decreases with waves. 

Where the line is for aka vs. garden variety severe anxiety I don’t know.  I’m not sure I could say where it is for another person, but unless I have a restless leg feeling or an intense “need to do something” feeling along side anxiety, I don’t consider myself to have aka.

What is important for you to know either way is that: 1. It will resolve in a windows and waves pattern, and over time, it will lessen to a degree that you can tolerate it long before it goes away. 2. Drugs, lots of different drugs, and supplements, cause it or make it worse.  3. Withdrawal from various drugs or supplements can make it worse. 4. If you have aka, the way out is to let the episode peak and pass and to remember that it cannot hurt you unless you panic and act during the build up to the peak.  Usually, once a person knows what aka is and that it will go away, he finds it more tolerable.  

It always causes me distress to see someone with severe anxiety from SSRI withdrawal trying to treat it with drugs that cause aka.  Doctors prescribe SSRIs to people in benzo withdrawal and I cringe.  It makes me furious.  

It’s been my experience that akathisia can be very mild to severe.  Most people who have a mild case would not seek out a diagnosis.  They feel uncomfortable and uneasy.  They might feel as if they had had too much coffee.  They don’t think they have a medical condition, but rather a mental condition.  It is a medical condition, and it will heal.   People with severe cases may be so distressed that they feel as if they are on a high floor in a burning building with no safe way out.  People who have no idea akathisia is a condition that will resolve are most at risk, of course.  

Akathisia does not always present with pacing, inability to sit still, or restless legs.  I felt that I wanted to jump out of my skin, but I sat on the couch paralyzed by a feeling of terror.  Sometimes, it was even worse than that.  I thought I had PTSD.  Aka (and regular anxiety) is exacerbated by anything that would irritate the nervous system such as a scare, an argument, or a loud noise.  Sensitivity to light, sound, and touch may be present.  I could not stand a breeze on my skin.  I could not drive.  I could not be alone, but riding in a car was stimulation that I did not need.  Walking through crowds was awful, and I did not want anyone to touch me or even get close.  I had an exaggerated startle reflex.   Aka causes irritability, anger, and explosions of fury.  

In an extreme form, aka can cause paranoia.  In that case, the drive to figure out who or what is making one feel so threatened, both mentally and physically, is strong.  It is easy to start to wonder who is untrustworthy and plotting against one.  God forbid someone expressed a wish to harm a person who had severe aka!  You seem very reasonable and sane to me.  I only mention that for other people who are reading here.  It’s really important to put off confrontations and arguments because things are said that can’t be taken back.  It’s best to disengage completely until the aka is gone.

Aka doesn’t always resolve immediately after the drug is removed.  In fact, it can get worse when the drug is removed as it did for me.  However, it will resolve if one avoids adding further drugs and carefully, slowly tapers a drug.  People who taper may have it, and they suffer through knowing it will ease and resolve after each reduction.

The degree of aka waxes and wanes just like the degree of anxiety waxes and wanes for other people who do not have aka.  It peaks during an episode of it.  There can be more than one episode of it during a wave.  I have heard it said that aka involves anxiety, but anxiety is not aka.  That’s somewhat true except that anxiety isn’t a good description for the mental distress of aka.  It’s something more involved.  There aren’t any good words to describe aka except that burning building analogy, and that is for extremely severe cases.  

The terrors are gone, and the “need to jump out of my skin feeling” is gone or it’s very mild.  Before I became very ill, I had a propensity to address my severe discomfort by finding a problem in my life and anxiously pouring energy into attacking it with no regard for how doing so might affect anything or anyone else.  That is quite under control now.  I wish had the energy and drive that I used to have when aka was new and mild, but not debilitating, but I think I will get that back.

See these websites:  

https://missd.co

https://rxisk.org/akathisia/

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/16629-rosetta-ct-may-2011-too-fast-taper-feb-2017/?page=25

May 2011 OB Doctor's Cold switch Celexa 60 mg to 10 mg Zoloft sertraline (baby born)

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

Thank you so much for your thorough thoughts on this!  I think i have a mild case that was made moderate by all the stimulation. I also learned that melatonin may not be great for aka.  About 3 weeks ago i started reducing it by half;  i was taking .3 so i emptied half of a pill and took them. One night i forgot to take one. Anyway between driving and those changes I’m not sure but my symptoms ramped way up. They are settling down.   Today was ok for me.  Very low symptom overall.  i now take .27 mg of melatonin and I’ll reduce that over the next few months until I’m off all together.  I’m not taking any chances with big changes. I’m also avoiding driving outside of maybe a trip to the store. At least until it settles down.  I’ve noticed the windows and waves.  One day my startle is intense, next it’s my fear, then my legs. Each day is a new challenge. But all have dropped off the past day and I’m hoping it continues. 

thanks again!  I hope you are well!  

I had adverse reactions to each AD.  I think my system was sensitive from having emergency surgery when I was 18.  I tried nortriptyline the next year.  I did not like it, and so, I never took it regularly, and I gave up very quickly, but I remember being very angry at the psychiatrist and having an ugly conversation with him and the therapist.  I became suicidal.  It was awful.  

The next time I tried one was when I was about 25.  I took only a few doses.  I was having trouble because I had cracked a vertebrae, and I had been given a barbiturate for pain, also when I was 25.  I got depressed.  Duh!  So, a few weeks later I had some sort of AD.  I don’t remember which. I took only a few doses.

Then, a few weeks later I was given one dose of some sort of benzo one day at the clinic, and that was not good, probably because I had decided to quit the barbiturate, and that caused WD, but no one explained that to me.  No one told me to taper.  Not one word was said.  

I did quit the barbiturate CT when I was 26.  After that I could not sleep, and a doctor gave me Ambien.  I took maybe 5 of those.  They did work, but the doctor did not want to give me too many more.  That scared me, and I decided to not ask a third time.  

Then, I was given Paxil which literally made me slam my head against a fence.  SSRIs were supposed to be safe.  I was not expecting to lose my mind.  So, I quit that right away, but the barbiturate withdrawal — that I did not know was happening — I did not crave it, I did not seek it, I just spent thousands of dollars on a physical therapist for pain, and eventually the pain was tolerable.

Eventually, I had Celexa when I was about 30 or so.  I think I never came out of withdrawal because I drank socially.  Somehow, I became suicidal again when I was 30.  I probably had some adverse reaction to alcohol that made it worse.  Shortly after I started Celexa, I was burned in a fire, and I had a short course of oxycodone.  

Celexa seemed to work, and I took it for 10 years, but my husband said it was bad for me, and I should quit.  He saw the changes.  When I had my baby, the cold switch to Zoloft made me very sick.  I got through that, but the Zoloft dose was raised over and over because I was unwittingly in wd from the Celexa.  That went on for 5 years.  Every raise of the dose kindled me.  Adverse reaction after adverse reaction.  Xanax was added when the anxiety was too much.

After I quit Zoloft and Xanax, I took Trazodone for a few weeks.  Here I am, 4 years after I quit Zoloft.  I have dystonia.  I have lost a lot of muscle tone.  I feel lethargic, but the akathisia is so mild that it barely bothers me now.  I’m more traumatized emotionally than anything.

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

💔 

2021:  started celexa 10mg feb 2nd 

feb 25th took my last 10g; feb 26th 5mg; feb 27th 5mg; feb 28th 2021 cold turkey 

currently taking mag

Hey Rosetta-  just want you to know I’m appreciative of your support and I’m definitely rooting for you.  It sounds like you’ve made progress over the years and you’re getting closer?  I hope so. 

Oh, yes.  Much progress @Fightinghard  I seem to be in the home stretch.  Who knows how long that will take, but I can relax a lot of the time.  Tension and fight or flight mode are no longer the default.  Evenings continue to be better.  The cortisol wake ups are still happening, but they are milder, and the effect fades away faster.  The startle reflex is less likely to occur.  If I am startled or scared, the hormones are not released for as long a period of time as before.  My system can correct itself and calm down on its own much of the time.  I’m still having trouble with my monthly hormone changes.  They stir things up.  

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

Great to hear!  Hopefully things will just continue to melt away.  I’m sure they will soon.  

Things are a little better here. Well much better than a few days ago but still in the wave that started 2-3 weeks ago.  My instincts tell me the melatonin change started this since it does affect dopamine and serotonin.  So I’m going to slowly taper off with really small cuts. Maybe in 4-5 months I’ll be done. 

when you’re in a wave, do you completely avoid activity?  Today I’m home and I’ve done some small chores because I’m bored. Nothing exhausting just wiping things down.  I also do a walk early in the morning. Its so hard when you feel a little better to know whether you should do this or not.  I’m always debating this. I basically stay home orders otherwise. 

keep up the fight!  I bet you’re success story  is coming soon!

• Mentor
On 6/10/2021 at 3:59 PM, Rosetta said:

I’m more traumatized emotionally than anything.

Well put, @Rosetta.

• Prozac | late 2004-mid-2005 | CT WD in a couple months, mostly emotional
  • Sertraline 50-100mg | 11/2011-3/2014, 10/2014-3/2017
  • Sertraline fast taper March 2017, 4 weeks, OFF sertraline April 1, 2017
  • Quit alcohol May 20, 2017
  • Lifestyle changes: AA, kundalini yoga

"If you've seen a monster, even if it's horrible, that's evidence of divinity." – Damien Echols

@Rosetta I’m so happy to hear this 💕💕💕💕🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰

feb 25th took my last 10g; feb 26th 5mg; feb 27th 5mg; feb 28th 2021 cold turkey 

currently taking mag

@FarmGirlWorks  I don’t want to give the impression that I’m not seething with anger over the dystonia.  It’s a real problem.  When I sleep, it ramps up, and I wake up with seizing muscles in my jaw, my face, my eye.  Heck of a way to wake up in the night or every morning.  Once in a while, I wake up without that sensation.  Not very often.  I cannot read as much as I would like.  I can’t use my right arm as much as I would like or the dystonia in my arm and hand increases as does the dystonia in my back, leg, foot and toes.

Supposedly, dystonia can last permanently, but mine has improved so much that I don’t worry about that too much.  I don’t think that there has been enough research done on people who quit the drugs and never went back to them.  There is a theory that there is damage to the basal ganglia in people with dystonia.  Perhaps this is caused by the drugs and results in dystonia.  That dystonia can heal, there is no doubt as I no longer have the same degree of dystonia as I did.  I don’t know how much longer healing will take or if it will be complete.  

I believe that the severe sleep apnea that I have is caused by dystonia.  As you can imagine I’m furious that when I was diagnosed with sleep apnea, there was no discussion of Celexa or it’s effects on my body.  To have gone on taking Celexa after that diagnosis, and then take Zoloft for over 5 years . . . I am livid.  I had no idea the two were linked, but it is unconscionable that no investigation into the cause of dystonia was done.  There was no easy explanation such as being overweight at the time.

However, the sense of emotional trauma I feel outweighs that physical issue.  It’s that intense, the emotional trauma that I live with, and having my trust in doctors destroyed affects me, also, but it affects my husband, as well.  Neither of us feel that we can get treatment for anything without undisclosed risks.  We don’t feel we can get treatment for our daughter or our mothers without undisclosed risks.  The attitude of the doctors when we question them or when we decline drugs is very concerning.  Some of them take it well, but not all.  What a failure that profession has become.  I can hardly believe it.

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

Hi Rosetta, thank you so much for reading this. Im a mother to 4 great kids. For the past 2,5 months I've been suffering with something that could be delayed AD WD precipitated by vigorous exercise (running). Im almost certain exercise caused this, but I'm not sure if AD has to do with it or not (I've been off of it for 3 months by then without any problems). Anyway, my symptoms are mainly awful anxiety, panic attacks, cortisol nights/mornings, and what could be a mild akathisia. I've been put back on 2 ADs that made things way worse. I've been off of them, and off of trazodone, for close to 2 weeks now. In fact, I've been off of all psych meds and I feel better. Last week was so good, I truly felt as if I was recovering a lot of the time. And then I did something stupid. I started getting a drink some days with dinner. I usually feel better most evenings so I relaxed and allowed myself a glass of wine. It goes wonderful in the evening but I notice the next day suffers. Every night I drink, the next day is worse and worse. I'm wondering if I can be kindling my nervous system? Should I completely abstain from alcohol, you think? Did I do a lot of damage to myself by drinking? 

Also I wanted to ask you, could it be that an episode of WD symptoms completely clears up after something as simple as talking to someone? I went to see my primary care in the midst of my usual "episode" and after talking to her for 20min I felt completely back to myself. This lasted the remainder of the day and even most of the next day. Is this possible to change things so dramatically just by talking to someone?

Thank you so much for reading my message. Im just trying to figure out what's going on with me. Im scared, lost, frustrated, and feel completely alone. I was labeled "anxiety episode" by everyone and noone would believe a word i say about anything else. Im not sure if its AD WD, or even if its a WD at all. All I know is that something has destabilized my nervous system and now my life has been turned upside down. It is not just anxiety that's for sure. I read a lot of info on this forum and I can identify with many things and symptoms voiced here, including the waves and windows pattern. So I decided to reach out and see if I can get some insights. You are a great Mom and such a courageous warrior. Im wishing you all the best in your recovery!

My thread: https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/24990-surviving82-my-story-wd-from-antidepressants-please-help/

2016-2017: sertraline for approx. 1.5 years for anxiety and OCD outbreak following birth of my son (all the way from 2mg to 200mg), rapid tapered from 150mg for about 6 weeks without issues. Approximately 2 years psych drug free.

Nov 2019 - Feb 2020: fluvoxamine to prevent anxiety/OCD outbreak following birth of my daughter. Had to go off due to constant somnolence.

Feb 2020 - Dec 2020: started escitalopram while rapid tapering fluvoxamine. After 9 months decided to get off due to weight gain, rapid tapered from [I think] 15mg for about 6 weeks without immediate issues.

March-April 2021: started excessive strenuous exercise and dieting regimen for weight loss. Was doing great (or so I thought) for 3 weeks until early April 2021 when out of nowhere massive panic attacks, other dysautonomia symptoms. AWFUL CRASH.   

Mid-April 2021: fluoxetine 10mg for 1 week then 20mg for 1 week. Massive side effects, suicidality. Was told to go CT. Side effects gradually started resolving.

Mid-Late May 2021: sertraline for 11 days, fine at low doses but same side effects as prozac at 25 to 50mg. Was told to either drop CT or hold at 1/4 of a 25mg pill. 

April-May 2021: trazodone 50mg PRN for sleep. Do not take every day, the only side effect I noticed is dry mouth.

June 8, 2021: stopped all psych meds. Truing to trust that with God's help, my body will heal on its own. 

September 9, 2021: reinstated escitalopram 1mg. Gradually worked up to 2.5mg by September 30. Reinstatement seems to be helping!

Other: Hashimoto thyroiditis for 11 years (on levothyroxine varying doses, between 88mcg and 125mcg), history of anxiety/GAD including health anxiety, OCD. History of autonomic dysfunction (migraines, vasovagal episodes).

@Rosetta, sorry forgot to tag you, im very new to this. Thank you 

My thread: https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/24990-surviving82-my-story-wd-from-antidepressants-please-help/

2016-2017: sertraline for approx. 1.5 years for anxiety and OCD outbreak following birth of my son (all the way from 2mg to 200mg), rapid tapered from 150mg for about 6 weeks without issues. Approximately 2 years psych drug free.

Nov 2019 - Feb 2020: fluvoxamine to prevent anxiety/OCD outbreak following birth of my daughter. Had to go off due to constant somnolence.

Feb 2020 - Dec 2020: started escitalopram while rapid tapering fluvoxamine. After 9 months decided to get off due to weight gain, rapid tapered from [I think] 15mg for about 6 weeks without immediate issues.

March-April 2021: started excessive strenuous exercise and dieting regimen for weight loss. Was doing great (or so I thought) for 3 weeks until early April 2021 when out of nowhere massive panic attacks, other dysautonomia symptoms. AWFUL CRASH.   

Mid-April 2021: fluoxetine 10mg for 1 week then 20mg for 1 week. Massive side effects, suicidality. Was told to go CT. Side effects gradually started resolving.

Mid-Late May 2021: sertraline for 11 days, fine at low doses but same side effects as prozac at 25 to 50mg. Was told to either drop CT or hold at 1/4 of a 25mg pill. 

April-May 2021: trazodone 50mg PRN for sleep. Do not take every day, the only side effect I noticed is dry mouth.

June 8, 2021: stopped all psych meds. Truing to trust that with God's help, my body will heal on its own. 

September 9, 2021: reinstated escitalopram 1mg. Gradually worked up to 2.5mg by September 30. Reinstatement seems to be helping!

Other: Hashimoto thyroiditis for 11 years (on levothyroxine varying doses, between 88mcg and 125mcg), history of anxiety/GAD including health anxiety, OCD. History of autonomic dysfunction (migraines, vasovagal episodes).

I’m having that allergic reaction again.  It started last night.  Both of my eyelids are swollen and itchy, and my lips hurt all around the edges.  Last time, it took over 8 days for my eyelids to stop itching.  My lips healed before that. It got worse before it got better.  The skin cracked and peeled even on my eyelids.  I can feel it on the roof of my mouth and inside my nose, too.  

I think I’m allergic to mangoes.  They have an oil in them that is similar to the oil in poison ivy and oak.  Some people have contact allergies with their skin and some people have allergies from eating them, too.   I have had no grapefruit since this happened last time, but yesterday, I had less than 1/4 of a mango. I’ve never had a problem with mangoes before.  

I touched the skin, and then I touched my eyes I guess.  The mango itself touched my lips. When I woke up with this allergy reaction again today, I took 1/2 a dose of Benadryl.  The Benadryl isn’t taking the allergic reaction away entirely.  

For the last 3 days I have had cortisol awakenings in the morning.  They aren’t mild.  They aren't the worst type either. This morning I had one.   I’m scared when I wake up and then I worry.  I’ve been worrying about my daughters teeth this morning.  She has to have two pulled so that her permanent teeth will come in to those spots.  I should have scheduled it by now.

I went back to sleep after the Benadryl.  I had been up from about 3:30 to about 6:00 am.  At around 9 I woke up because my husband woke me up.  I’m very anxious and upset because I wanted to do something special with my daughter today.  She’s going to a lesson this morning.  I feel too uncomfortable in my eyes to go out in the sun and the car.  So, my husband took her, and I’m here at home.

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

I used to describe windows and waves long before I found SA.  I said that I felt I was swimming in a canal such as the Suez Canal.  I swam across one lock while the water level dropped beneath me.  On the other side I would have to climb the wall to get out.  I could see the water level close to the top of the wall.  Climbing out would be quick if I could get there fast enough.  I was swimming against the current created by the water flowing out a point behind me. By the time I reached the wall, the water had dropped so far that I had a long climb ahead.  As I climbed, water rushed back in above my head, and washed me off the wall and back to the other side.  I would start to swim again as the water flowed out behind me.  That was what PWS felt like for me.

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

My eyes and lips were itchy and swollen again this morning.  I took 1/2 a dose of Benadryl last night before bed.  The itching was pretty annoying all day and my skin started to hurt around my eyes.  Tonight, everything is better.  It’s still itchy, but not as much.  

I’m in a wave.  I’m having muscle cramps on my sides.  The last few days it was on my left side and tonight on my right.  It’s not very painful.  My left wrist hurts as if I over extended it.  I think these aches and cramps are WD related.  

Yesterday, I was crying because I had the allergic reaction and couldn’t go out with my daughter.  I was really distraught.

This afternoon, the dog did something bad, and my husband got angry.  He showed me the dress the dog ruined.   He was upset for about 2 minutes.  Then, he went back to whatever he was doing.  My alerting system went nuts. I was shaking for about 1/2 an hour or more.  At this point in WD, my physical response is still extreme sometimes.  

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

@Rosetta I’m feeling the same as you right now—mornings are hard and my reactions to normal life are not normal. But they are better than they’ve been in the past. I know I’m (we’re) healing—it’s just so slow. I appreciate your description of the wave. I usually describe mine as a cloud I can’t see past and no matter how I adjust my view, it won’t go away. 

I’ve seen more physical symptoms lately too. I figured those would be long gone by now so it’s quite a surprise when I get them—especially ones I’ve never had before. I haven’t had a cold sore since before withdrawal and I had 2 in the last month. 🤷🏻‍♀️ I’ve never had more than one in a year before. 

I read somewhere on here that the body protects our immune system at the beginning of withdrawal because we can’t actually deal with physical illness. Kind of like a newborn baby. Maybe that protection has worn off at this point?  I hadn’t been ill for at least 4 years until the last few months. 

I hope the sun☀️comes out for you soon or that you can at least find a way to peak around the clouds. ❤️

Sheera 

Started Lamictal and Brintellix in November 2015

May 2016 Discontinued Lamictal 100 to 50 and then stopped completely.

October 20, 2016 discontinued Brintellex 10 to 5 then went from 5 to 0 on November 10, 2016.

Currently off all antidepressants

Current Supplements:  L-Theanine, Natural Progesterone, L-Methylfolate, Vitamin D, Omega-3's, Probiotic

Hi @Sheera @Phoenixmama @Surviving82 @Fightinghard @FarmGirlWorks  I have written on your threads.

Today, I’m doing ok.  My eyes are still swollen and itchy.  My lips are chapped and uncomfortable, but no longer itchy.  I didn’t take Benadryl last night.  I’m trying to avoid more of that.  

We got up early for my daughters camp.  She had to be there at 9.  She is used to having school starting at 11:45 am.  She will be at camp 32.5 hours a week for the next month.  What an adjustment this will be.  The little one had only 13 hours of school a week this past year, one hour on zoom on Mondays and 3 hours a day Tuesday through Friday.  

When the kids were not on campus because of Covid, she had zoom school at 8:00 on Monday until 9:00 and from 8:00 until 11:00 am Tuesday through Friday.  That went on from late August until October 19, 2020 and for all of January 2021.

I went for a long walk in the woods today.  It was nice.  Hot, but nice.  I need to get back to exercising and building the strength in my muscles back up.  The dystonia has eased lately.  I’m still waking in the night with a cortisol jolt, but it’s lessening, as well.  

The roller coaster is becoming less of a steel behemoth and more of an old-fashion wooden railway coaster.  I seem to be having more shallow waves.  I recover faster from stressful events, and I feel that I can think more clearly.  It’s a relief.

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

2 minutes ago, Rosetta said:

The roller coaster is becoming less of a steel behemoth and more of an old-fashion wooden railway coaster.  I seem to be having more shallow waves.  I recover faster from stressful events, and I feel that I can think more clearly.  It’s a relief.

@Rosetta, well these are good news, aren't they? You have been dealing with this for so long, I am hoping to see your success story very soon. By Thanksgiving time, perhaps? 😉 

Your daughter is very fortunate to have you, I hope that you know that. There is nothing that you wouldn't do for her, no matter how bad you may feel yourself. I can only hope that I can handle everything like you, regardless of how long this nightmare lasts. 

Wishing you the very best Summer evening. Hopeful that tomorrow would be a little bit better for all of us...

This makes me happy ☺️ Thanks for sharing... 🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰

currently taking mag

This sounds like a great post overall to me!  You’re on your way!  I’m rooting for you and thinking of you!  This is so nice to see.  You’ve been through so much and have come so far.  

• Mentor

Hi Rosetta,  I was reading through alan1234 thread and have to comment on the Seroquel and getting psychotic .  I ct Seroquel 150mg after a 5 week titrate up 50- 100-150.  I had some interesting things happen.  These drugs do some pretty wild things to our brain.  I was sitting in my living room and I could here the birds singing out side the window. Out of the blue the thought popped into my head  I wonder if those birds could start to tell me something.  I really was freaked out and was worried.  Then when I was outside I would here the wind and the thought popped into my head  will I hear a mans voice in the air talking to me.  I also found it hard to be outside for awhile because of a dreadful feeling that I should be in fear of something.  Creepy. 

I also wanted to say I am very humbled by your endurance and the  strength to go through what you did.  I have to admit I was in a bad wave when I started reading it and I could not rap my head around going through something so pain for so long.  I can only hope I will find the strength and courage that you have.

Take Care 

Greatful

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/24894-greatful-is-this-withdrawal-or-to-many-med-changes-at-once/

1995? Prozac,  tried several Paxil, Serzone, St John's Wart back to Prozac and Trazodone ct:d Traz

Lexapro. Tried to stop Crash in 2015  Kindled   Hospitalized, Vybrid, Seroquel, Effexor, Abilify  Pristiq, Wellbutrin-- 2016  ended back on   Prozac and Lamictal 200mg

5/2020  thru 12/2020 taper from 20mg  Prozac  down to 3mg.  Crashed  12/13/2020 Zoloft 50mg 1/29ct  1/29/2021 Seroquel 50mg ct  2/12/2021 Wellbutrin 75mg.  Became hypo manic 2/1  6ct Trazodone 50mg 4/25  25mg 2/5/ 2021 Lamictal 150mg.  2/24  100mg   4/9  75mg   4/21 37.5 

2/16/2021 Seroquel 50xr  3/3 100mg  3/17  150mg  side effects ct   4/3 2021 Lexapro 5mg  4/14  7.5mg  4/30 10mg  5/10  7.5mg 

2021/ 5/16  5mg Lexapro   37.5 Lamictal   25mg trazadone,   xanax  .0625mg  3x a day   

Lexapro  Taper> Sept/01/2021  4.90mg>  Sept/25  4.75mg>   Oct/19 4.69mg > Nov/14 4.2mg    Jan/30/2022-- Split dosing 2x a day All liquid  4.2mg  (2.20mg at 8am & 2mg at 4pm) 2/17 4mg>  2/24  3.8mg  slow taper to  Aug/12/2022 2.04mg  2023> 2mg,  1.90mg, 1.80mg, 1.70mg, 1.5mg, 1.4mg, 1.3mg 1.2mg, 1.1mg, 1mg, 0.9mg, 0.8mg, 0.7mg 0.65mg, 0.6mg, 0.55mg, 0.5mg, 0.45mg, 0.4mg, 0.35mg, 0.3mg, 0.25,mg, back to once a day dosing 0 .1mg, 0.07mg , 0.05mg 4/1/2024   0

Lamictal  taper  4/17/ 2022 25mg, 9/9/ 22 -20mg, 9/25/22- 15mg , 10/20/22-   0

Trazodone..2023.>down to 14mg, 7mg, 6mg  July 2023   0

Xanax  0.0625 3 x a day,  2023>  0.042 3x a day

Supplements  Magnesium glycinate, Omega 3, D3, vitamin c , zinc, NAC 

My allergic reaction is still occurring.  It’s not getting worse, but it’s changing.  One moment one ear lobe is itchy and swollen, the next my nose feels tingly, then my chin feels a bit hot or the inside of my ear itches.  My husband says my face is flush.  Every so often my eyelids swell more and itch more.  The skin on my eyelids and lips is dry and powdery.  Some parts of my face and nose are, too, one cheek and the tip of my nose and septum.  At times, the roof of my mouth feels warm and slightly tingly.  The inside of my nose feels the same way.   My whole face feels slightly swollen.  At times, I’m itchy just about everywhere.  Night before last, I felt nauseous as I went to bed.  These are signs of mild anaphylaxis.

I looked up mango allergies again.  The substance urushiol is found in the skin of the fruit.  It causes contact dermatitis on the mouth, of course, but also, I found a medical report of the eyelids swelling and even the genitals — evidence of a more systemic reaction.  That explains something -  slight swelling and itching on one side of my lady parts.  That comes and goes like the other symptoms.  Some people get blisters on the mouth in the same way that poison ivy and oak cause fluid filled blisters, but don’t have blisters.  

Persistent cough is another symptom.  I have had that for weeks and weeks since I had an upper respiratory infection.  I was tested for Covid about a few weeks ago because of it.  I felt that that was resolving this past week.  Is still a productive cough, but much less frequent, not in the middle of the night anymore, and not too bad in the mornings.  

Apparently, systemic urushiol allergy can take 14 days to resolve, but for some it takes months.  My dilemma is that as nervous as I have been to get my second Covid shot, I had decided to get it on Friday — two days from now.  Should I get it while having an ongoing allergic reaction like this?  @brassmonkey @JanCarol. I wish I could call the nurse and get an answer that I could trust, but I don’t trust them.  

I’m in a wave — waking in a panic, finding it very hard to calm down after that, daymares after waking, having a dystonic headache at my right temple and twisting of my neck, insomnia, lethargy, anxiety, intrusive thoughts.

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

Dearest Rosetta ~ I am so sorry about the allergic reaction you are experiencing and that you are in a wave.  Hang in there and you'll get through this as you have so many other challenges along the way. I am thinking of you and sending big hugs your way. 💗WR

-1/06 - 3/07 Cymbalta. Fast taper (essentially CT); withdrawal symptoms after 4 mos (didn't realize was WD)

-10/07: 100 mg Zoloft; 1 mg Klonopin - tapered off Klonopin after 4 mos. Several unsuccessful slow tapers of Zoloft; went up and down in dose a lot

-Spring 2013 back on 1 mg Klonopin to counter WD symptoms; switched over 5-6 mos from Zoloft to 35 mg citalopram
-Two attempts at slow tapering citalopram, always increased dose due to WD; also increased Klonopin to 1.25 mg in 2014, then to 1.5 mg in 2015

-8/17-9/17: After holding one year at 20 mg, feeling withdrawal symptoms due to stress - slowly increased to 25 mg. No change in symptoms after 6 months (? tolerance ?)  - decided to start citalopram taper February 2018 (still on Klonopin 1.5 mg).

Supplements: fish oil; magnesium; vitamin D3; curcumin

Citalopram taper:  2/2018 - 12/2019: 25 mg - 11.03 mg I 2020: 10.89 mg - 7.9 mg I 2021: 7.8 mg - 5.26 mg I 2022: 5.2 mg - 3.36 mg I 2023: 3.3 mg - 1.47 mg 2024: 1/5/24: 1.44 mg; 1/19/24: 1.40 mg; 1/26/24: 1.37 mg; 2/2/24: 1.34 mg; 2/9/24: 1.31 mg; 2/23/24: 1.28 mg; 3/1/24: 1.25 mg; 3/8/24: 1.22 mg; 3/15/24: 1.19 mg; 3/29/24: 1.17 mg; 4/5/24: 1.14 mg; 4/13/24: 1.11 mg

❤️🌞

currently taking mag

sending you light 🌞 and love ❤️

currently taking mag

Bring it up when you go in for the shot. They have experts on staff that can give an additional screening to see if it is safe.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

6 hours ago, Rosetta said:

My allergic reaction is still occurring.  It’s not getting worse, but it’s changing.  One moment one ear lobe is itchy and swollen, the next my nose feels tingly, then my chin feels a bit hot or the inside of my ear itches.  My husband says my face is flush.  Every so often my eyelids swell more and itch more.  The skin on my eyelids and lips is dry and powdery.  Some parts of my face and nose are, too, one cheek and the tip of my nose and septum.  At times, the roof of my mouth feels warm and slightly tingly.  The inside of my nose feels the same way.   My whole face feels slightly swollen.  At times, I’m itchy just about everywhere.  Night before last, I felt nauseous as I went to bed.  These are signs of mild anaphylaxis.

I looked up mango allergies again.  The substance urushiol is found in the skin of the fruit.  It causes contact dermatitis on the mouth, of course, but also, I found a medical report of the eyelids swelling and even the genitals — evidence of a more systemic reaction.  That explains something -  slight swelling and itching on one side of my lady parts.  That comes and goes like the other symptoms.  Some people get blisters on the mouth in the same way that poison ivy and oak cause fluid filled blisters, but don’t have blisters.  

Persistent cough is another symptom.  I have had that for weeks and weeks since I had an upper respiratory infection.  I was tested for Covid about a few weeks ago because of it.  I felt that that was resolving this past week.  Is still a productive cough, but much less frequent, not in the middle of the night anymore, and not too bad in the mornings.  

Apparently, systemic urushiol allergy can take 14 days to resolve, but for some it takes months.  My dilemma is that as nervous as I have been to get my second Covid shot, I had decided to get it on Friday — two days from now.  Should I get it while having an ongoing allergic reaction like this?  @brassmonkey @JanCarol. I wish I could call the nurse and get an answer that I could trust, but I don’t trust them.  

I’m in a wave — waking in a panic, finding it very hard to calm down after that, daymares after waking, having a dystonic headache at my right temple and twisting of my neck, insomnia, lethargy, anxiety, intrusive thoughts.

So sorry to hear all you’re going through, Rosetta. I really hope this wave passes quickly and a bright window is on the horizon for you. Thinking about you and sending strength xx 

Mid-August 2020 - started 15mg Mirtazapine, increased to 30mg 2 weeks later. Late-September 2020 - switched to 20mg Paroxetine as Mirtazapine exacerbated RLS. October 2020 - stopped Paroxetine because of worsening RLS, muscle twitching and general restlessness.

Mid-October 2020 - Switched to 50mg Sertraline. Restlessness, muscle twitching and other symptoms even worse. Stopped taking it on 18 November following advice from GP - took every other day for a week before stopping completely. Mid-November 2020 - GP prescribed Propranolol to take as and when required for anxiety. Have only taken a few times as it makes me very light headed. January 2020 - currently taking magnesium citrate powder in evenings to help with RLS. Also taking high strength omega-3 fish oil. 

Thanks everyone for your well wishes.  Thanks @brassmonkey  I will do that.  I’ve tried to look it up, but I’m not finding anything.  The mainstream info says that unless one is allergic to an ingredient in the vaccine there is no need to avoid it.  

I think there is a mast cell activation going on.  I’m worried about the vaccine causing my body to identify everything I come into contact with during the time period around the moment my immune system is activated.  That does not usually happen, apparently.  Usually, an egg allergy is a problem if the virus was made using eggs, for example.   I think it’s quite plausible that a vaccine using eggs can create an egg allergy, but the Moderna Covid vaccine does not use eggs.  I haven’t been vaccinated during an allergic reaction before.  The last vaccine shot happened AFTER the last time I ate mangoes, (and I had a similar reaction.)

My husband’s inflammation has returned after the vaccine preceded a lull in those symptoms.  His “shooting pains” headaches upon bending over have not returned.  So, that’s a relief for him.  He definitely reacts to wheat that is not organic.  We think he’s sensitive to glyphosate.  When we were in Spain all his inflammation receded, and he ate bread there frequently.  He also lost weight while we were there that he has gained back since we returned.  We were walking so much during those months.

I think my house is full of allergens at the moment.  Dust mostly.  So much dust.  Between WD and Covid there hasn’t been much dusting done around here.  I was feebly hoping to get rid of some of the dust before I got the second shot, but I’m worried about waiting.  

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

You know what’s interesting?  The itching is worse in the mornings and less troublesome in the evenings.  So much like WD syndrome.  Curious.

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

🤔

currently taking mag