Rosetta: cold switch May 2011 & too fast taper Feb 2017

Rosetta

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Rosetta!

On 11/01/2018 at 2:19 PM, Rosetta said:

it's just a travesty that first graders have homework

Yeah.  The Seventh Day Adventists have a theory that children shouldn't even be in school until age 8 or 10. 

The "Age of Reason" in Catholic (and other religions) is 7.

Children learn best through play, not homework!  And  all of their learning should be play-based until age 7!

But how do you change the system?  There's a lot to be said for homeschooling....

(just my non-parental educational theories - but I grew up in an educational family - University and HS and educational processes and theories were dinner table discussions.)

After sleeping on these thoughts - and hearing about your frustration with doing homework with her - I wonder - 

What kind of play can you pursue with her?  Physical play?  Imagination play?  Making funny faces and funny voices?  This would go a long way to showing her how much you love her without all the pressures of gymnastics, music lessons and maths homework...

On 13/01/2018 at 4:16 AM, Rosetta said:

Why do so few people complain about this symptom?  I believe that the loss of cog function is very hard to describe -- hard to put into words -- and it's the least of one's worries if sky high, constant anxiety is a daily battle.  

I reckon that all of us have deep societal conditioning about what we accept as "normal aging."  "Normal arthritis," "normal memory loss" - when really none of these things are normal - we've just been conditioned to think that (because everybody is on statins or something) it's "normal."

If you were to complain to someone - "I just can't find words when I want them," or "my vocabulary is shrinking" or even "I forget how to spell things," or (the one that really disturbed me, "I have to read the paragraph over and over to understand what it means..." - the someone you complained to would say, "Oh honey, you're over 40, that's normal."  Or even - "all Mothers have to let go of some things to make room for other things."

Rage, rage against the dying of the light!  It's not just about death, but also cognition!

If I present to someone, they'll call me "intelligent and knowledgeable" but you should've seen the fish that got away!  I used to see 16 moves ahead in chess (that was the first skill to go).  I picked up a guitar the other day - granted, it had been a few years, but I remembered even less than the last time I picked one up.  I used to read MedScape and studies and understand them.  Now - I know better.  I could understand them, but the time and effort it would take to do so is too much.  Would I rather spend 6 hours reading one report?  Or would those 6 hours be better spent on something else?  So when I see that a link goes to NIH (studies) or Medscape - I sigh, and don't even click anymore.

So - GOOD FOR YOU! - for learning the violin in the depths of your distress!  Don't accept it, always challenge it, and find new ways to work it!

I deeply appreciate the way you've spelled out the different ways cognitive ability is affected - thank you for doing that - I will be saving this paragraph for future reference:

On 13/01/2018 at 4:16 AM, Rosetta said:

For me there have been various incarnations of impaired cog function: demotivation is caused by ADWD.  One isn't simply confused, one is uninterested in taking action, or if one does feel inspired to take action - has motivation -- one can't follow through.  The executive function isn't working.  I would/will think of something I wanted, or more often needed, and I couldn't take the steps to get that object.  Either I lost motivation or I couldn't turn motivation into action.  Inability to plan is another symptom.  Sometimes I could not/cannot formulate a plan.  I would try to write one out, but I would become confused and feel that my plan wasn't complete or was nonsensical.  Ability to remember and form memories may be impaired, too.  Often, I cannot find the word for a simple object -- a spoon -- I'm was looking at a spoon; I needed that spoon, but I couldn't tell my husband what I needed.  I could say "that metal thing that I use to eat," but I couldn't say "spoon."  The inability to find a word is a frequent complaint on this board.  

I am going to add to your Inability to plan - in that - when we are in withdrawal and the world is so up-and-down, topsy turvy, or we have physical symptoms (mine was IBS) - it makes it difficult to plan.  Will I be well enough in a week's time to meet you for coffee?  If I start this project now, will I be capable of finishing it?  Or will I just leave it in piles all over the house?  You begin to function in very short term, indeed, moment to moment.  In some ways (mindfulness) this is good - but at some point - you want to live and do things that require more than a moment at a time!

You express yourself so clearly - that I have great confidence in your ability to heal, and you will help many along the way with your clear descriptions of what it feels like.

When I'm in an emotional muddle, or a cog fog, I may not be able to express what is happening to me.  But when I read your words, it becomes easier to say, "Yes.  It's like THAT, she's said it so well!"  In this regard you are a shining light for others.

On 13/01/2018 at 7:05 AM, Rosetta said:

I kept trying to count my breaths, and then I would start to worry again.

You sound like an excellent candidate for some mindfulness.  I find Jon Kabat-Zinn recordings extremely helpful.  My husband has a CPAP machine, and I can't fall asleep to the sound of that thing, so I have cheap headphones-in-a-hairband (only I put it over my eyes like a blindfold, too)

th?id=OIP.SHYvJMes4R-FBWfEissiHAHaHO&pid

Then I can distract myself from the wheezing and snorkeling of hubby next to me (and the high pitched whine of the fan on hot nights), and listen to meditations and meditation music.

And Jon Kabat-Zinn is the best at distracting me from rumination (oh, I'm really really good at rumination!):
Jon Kabat-Zinn Cure Depression and Anxiety

Jon Kabat-Zinn Very Peaceful Guided Meditation

and

Jon Kabat-Zinn Body Scan

It's deeper than counting breaths.  Counting breaths still engages your mind - and the point of mindfulness is to detach from the mind and just observe it.  "Oh, I'm thinking again, thinking thinking."  It's minding the mind, instead of letting it run rampant over you.

I hope you see the sun today!

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

12 hours ago, JanCarol said:

Hey Rosetta!

Thank you, JanCarol!  I'm very appreciative of your time and effort.  It means a great deal.

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/16629-rosetta-ct-may-2011-too-fast-taper-feb-2017/?page=25

2001-2011 Celexa 10 mg raised to 40 mg then 60 mg over this time period

May 2011 OB Doctor's Cold switch Celexa 60 mg to 10 mg Zoloft sertraline (baby born)

2012-2016 - Doctors raised dose of Zoloft up to 150 mg

2016 - Xanax prescribed - as needed - 0.5 mg about every 3 days (bad reaction)

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Late 2016- Began (too fast) taper of Zoloft

Early 2017 - Trazodone prescribed for bedtime (doseage unknown)

Feb 2017 - Completed taper/stopped Trazodone

Drug free since Feb 2017

2017 - Unisom otc very rarely for sleep

Thank you @Cheeky @Scorpio. I'm touched that you care.  It helps to know that.  All my best, Rosetta

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/16629-rosetta-ct-may-2011-too-fast-taper-feb-2017/?page=25

May 2011 OB Doctor's Cold switch Celexa 60 mg to 10 mg Zoloft sertraline (baby born)

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

Hi rosetta

How are you feeling today, hopefully some improvements,  

‘’my dental appointment was cancelled due to him being ill.  

Im thinking of you. 

2006 After sudden death of mother put on 20mg of citaloprom for depression. 

2014 Drug stopped working after two weeks of panic attacks felt fine. 

Aug 2014. Doctor put me on lyrica for rash on face, diarrhoea, sleeplessness,muscle cramp, bruising. Initial dose too strong, halved dose.  Stopped taking it 22/10/14

2014 severe anxiety after several ssri's attempted, seem to have developed severe  sensitivity to any drug, but giving severe  reactions put on cipralex drop form.started on 2 drops and had to increase by 1 drop every 3 days. Eventually got to 12 drops and had to stop as side effects every step of the way dreadful. Psychiatrist kept telling me to stick with it and my body would get used to it.  Eventually down to 8 drops. Bad reactions throughout the time I was on it

Have been on this until may 2017. Stopped over two weeks. Felt fine for 5 weeks after initial dizziness, nightmares, nausea, insomnia.  

Given diazepam by gp and told to take them when anxiety bad. Have only taken them very rarely as they frighten me. 

Last two weeks severe anxiety returned and feeling hopeless 

11July 2017. Cipralex 2mg. Anxiety, nausea still severe

13 July 2017 Cipralex 1mg due to advice of too high dosage  by kind person on thus site. so dropped from 2mg to 1mg and feelings of anxiety still at severe. As well as nausea, headaches, fatigue. 

15 July still feeling extremely anxious verging on panic. Nausea, feelings of fainting, fatigue. Lots of head pains 

3 August. Three weeks into trying to stabilise on one drop of cipralex. Still have waking from 4am. Sporadic upset stomach. Nausea.  High anxiety.  Throbbing/burning in nether regions seems to have eased for time being but stabbing/burning in calves of legs. Tinnitus. Occasional half to whole better days but mainly still struggling. Fatigue   

1 hour ago, Scorpio said:

Im thinking of you. 

Thank you, Scorpio.  I'm teary that you are checking on me.  

It's a "grind it out" kind of day as DaveB would say.  I had a very bad night.  There's probably some PMS going on making this worse.  It's one Hell of a wave, but I'm white knuckling it.  I have that internal vibration/restlessness again.  I went out to breakfast, for a walk by a lake, and I got my hair cut.  If I need to keep busy because of the Akathisia type issue I guess I'm better off outside and distracted although my instinct is to hide and isolate.  

I would hide and isolate today if I could.  My husband caught a cold from my daughter.  He's down for the count.  So, it's she and I for the rest of the day.  I hope she's not crabby when I pick her up.  

I wanted to spend today hiding in the dark on the couch watching Star Trek Voyager.  I'm very close to the end of the series, and I'm trying to space them out because I think I'll be devastated when my "friends" are gone.  Yes, I'm pathetic and proud of it!  The happy endings keep me sane.  I guess I'll watch The Next Generation when this is over although many of the characters annoy me.  Many happy endings there, but I always liked Voyager much more.

Cortisol spike at 3:00 am

Intense Crying for long period in night after cortisol spike

Neuro (faux) SI

Upon returning to sleep the Kindle beeped and woke me up.  I was very angry, but I guess that I was exhausted enough to go back to sleep.  Maybe the hormones released from crying helped.

Cortisol awakening 

Med-high anxiety

Visible shaking/trembling

Light Sensitivity

Inner restlessness calmed by walking (returns upon the end of the walk) -- Akathisia

Lack of appetite

Low blood sugar feelings

Muscle tension/dystonia in neck, face and eye, arm and fingers

Gastrointestinal issues have resolved for the day

Day 19 of my cycle

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

Hi rosetta

you amaze me, all these symptoms and you can still get yourself out for a walk, one strong lady.  That lack of appetite gets me every time I go downhill. 

Are you playing nurse for your husband too or is he quite resilient. I assume your daughter is in school, what hours does she do. Our schools all seem to have different starting and finishing times these days. The one nearest us starts at 8.30 and ends at 2.45 which seems a really short day compared to when I was at school - in the dark ages. It was 8.50 until 4. 

‘’Tomorrow I have to pull myself together as I pick my 15 month grandson up from nursery at 12 for the afternoon while my daughter is at work. He always lifts me and generally exhausts me at the same time but I love him to bits. 

Keep going, you are getting better every day you go through these rotten symptoms. 

2006 After sudden death of mother put on 20mg of citaloprom for depression. 

2014 Drug stopped working after two weeks of panic attacks felt fine. 

Aug 2014. Doctor put me on lyrica for rash on face, diarrhoea, sleeplessness,muscle cramp, bruising. Initial dose too strong, halved dose.  Stopped taking it 22/10/14

2014 severe anxiety after several ssri's attempted, seem to have developed severe  sensitivity to any drug, but giving severe  reactions put on cipralex drop form.started on 2 drops and had to increase by 1 drop every 3 days. Eventually got to 12 drops and had to stop as side effects every step of the way dreadful. Psychiatrist kept telling me to stick with it and my body would get used to it.  Eventually down to 8 drops. Bad reactions throughout the time I was on it

Have been on this until may 2017. Stopped over two weeks. Felt fine for 5 weeks after initial dizziness, nightmares, nausea, insomnia.  

Given diazepam by gp and told to take them when anxiety bad. Have only taken them very rarely as they frighten me. 

Last two weeks severe anxiety returned and feeling hopeless 

11July 2017. Cipralex 2mg. Anxiety, nausea still severe

13 July 2017 Cipralex 1mg due to advice of too high dosage  by kind person on thus site. so dropped from 2mg to 1mg and feelings of anxiety still at severe. As well as nausea, headaches, fatigue. 

15 July still feeling extremely anxious verging on panic. Nausea, feelings of fainting, fatigue. Lots of head pains 

3 August. Three weeks into trying to stabilise on one drop of cipralex. Still have waking from 4am. Sporadic upset stomach. Nausea.  High anxiety.  Throbbing/burning in nether regions seems to have eased for time being but stabbing/burning in calves of legs. Tinnitus. Occasional half to whole better days but mainly still struggling. Fatigue   

Sending you the biggest of hugs my friend :wub: as Scorpio said "you are one strong lady".  You are going to be okay.  Much Love. K xo

• Citalopram 20mg - 40mg ~ approx 2010 - October 2015 (stopped over one week)
  • Parnate  20mg - 50mg and olazapine 5mg ~ Jan 2016 - May 2016 (ceased over 2 days) 
  • Lithium 450mg-900 mg and Thyroxin ~May 2016 - May 2017
  • Diazepam various doses (including PRN) ~ 2015 - 2017
  • Oxazepam various doses (including PRN) ~ May 2016 - June 2016
  • Lurasidone 20mg ~Mid May 2016 - Mid June 2016
  • Vortioxetine 10mg - 20mg ~ 6th June 2016 - 20th July 2016 (abruptly ceased)
  • Amitriptyline 200mg ~July 2016 - September 2016 (ceased over 1 week)
  • Nortriptyline  (dose ?) ~October 2016 ~ November 2016 (abruptly ceased)
  • Seroquel XR 100mg - 300mg ~ May 2016 - August 2017 (ceased over 3 weeks)
  • Escitalopram 10mg - 30mg ~ August 2016 - March 2017 (ceased over 2 weeks)
  • Bupropion 300mg ~ December 2016 - May 2017 (ceased over 1 week)
  • Clonazepam 1.5mg daily ~ July 2016 (started tapering May 2017 - September 2017 currently on 0.375mg..ie 0.125mg TDS) 27th May 2018 5% 0.357mg (possible paradoxical reaction - see benzo thread)  28th June 5% 0.337mg, 28th July 10% 0.303mg, 12th September10% 0.272mg, 18th September reinstated 10% due to intolerable WD 0.303mg, 1st October-11th Oct 10% (1% reduction over 10 days) 0.272mg, 22nd October clonazepam ceased crossed over 10mg diazepam
  •  Dexamphatamine 20mg ~ December 2016 (started tapering October 2017 - tapered 1.25mg 4th Dec 2017, 1.25mg 19th Dec 2017 6.25mg, Speed up decrease due to major interaction between Dex and fluoxetine- ref to thread 10% 17th Feb 2018 5.63mg, 10% 21st Feb 2018 5.1mg, 10% 26th Feb 2018 4.5mg 10% 28th Feb 4.1mg, 10% 1st March 3.7mg, 10% 5th March 3.3mg, 10% 8th March 3mg, 10% 10th March 2.7mg, 10% 12th March 2.4mg, 10% 14th March 2.16mg, 10% 16th March 1.94mg, 10% 18th March 1.74mg, 10% 20th March 1.57mg, 10% 21st March 1.41mg, 10% 22nd March 1.26mg, 10% 23rd March 1.13mg, 10% 24th March 1.01mg, 10% 25th March 0.9mg, 10% 27th March 0.81mg, 10% 29th March 0.73mg, 10% 31st March 0.66mg, 10% 2nd April 0.59mg , 10% 4th April 0.53mg, 10% 6th April 0.47mg, 10% 8th April 0.42mg, 10%10th April 0.37mg, 11th April 0.2mg, 12th April 0.1mg (last dose) OFF! 
  • Fluoxetine 40mg ~December 2016 - 31 Jan 2018 reduced to 20mg (probable serotonin toxicity) 10th March 2020 10mg (1:1 ratio), 7th April 9mg, 1st May 8.5mg, 15th May 8.0mg, 27th May 7.5mg, 8th Sept 7.2mg, 2nd Oct 7mg, 19th Oct 6.8mg, 28th Oct 6.6mg, 5th Nov 6.4mg, 26th Nov 6mg, 2nd April 2021 5.9mg, 9th April 5.8mg, 19th April 5.75mg, 22nd April 5.7mg, 26th April 5.65mg,28th April 5.6mg, 1st May 5.5mg, 4th May 5.45mg, 7th May 5.4mg, 10th May 5.35mg, 12th May 5.3mg, 15th May 5.25mg, 18th May 5.2mg, 20th May 5.15mg, 22nd May 5mg, 10th July 4.5mg, 9th Aug 4.48mg (switched from syringe to pipette method), 12th Aug 4.46mg, 14th Aug 4.4mg, 18th Aug 4.38mg, 19th Aug 4.36mg, 20th Aug 4.34, 21st 4.32mg, 22nd 4.3mg, 23rd Aug 4mg (hold), (micro-taper) 12th Oct 2021 3.98mg, 14th Oct 3.96mg, 15th Oct 3.94mg, 16th Oct 3.92mg, 17th Oct 3.9mg, 18th Oct 3.88mg, 19th Oct 3.86mg, 21st Oct 3.84mg, 22nd Oct 3.82mg, 23rd Oct 3.8mg, 24th Oct 3.78mg, 25th Oct 3.76mg, 26th Oct 3.74mg, 27th Oct 3.72mg, (WD reached intolerable level, reinstated 0.06mg) 28th Oct 3.8mg, 7th March 2022 3.7mg, 21st March 3.6mg, 4th April 3.5mg, 18th April 3.4mg, 2nd May 3.3mg, 16th May 3.2mg, 20th June 3.1mg, 4th July 3mg, 18th July 2.9mg, 12th September 2.7mg, 18th October 2.5mg, 14th Nov 2.3mg, 12th December 2.1mg, 18th January 2023 1.9mg, 9th July 2023 1.88mg, 16th July 1.86mg, 23rd July 1.84mg, 30th July 1.82mg, 6th Aug 1.80mg, 10th Sept 1.7mg, 12th Oct 1.68mg, 23rd Oct 1.66mg, 30th Oct 1.64mg, 6th Nov 1.62mg, 13th Nov 1.60mg, (2:1 ratio) 30th Dec 1.597mg, 7th Jan 2024 1.595mg, 8th 1.592mg,  10th 1.589, 11th 1.587, 12th 1.585, 13th 1.583, 14th 1.58 cont… 5th Feb 1.56mg, 11th Feb 1.55mg, 19th Feb 1.54mg, 26th Feb 1.53mg, 4th March 1.52mg, 11th March 1.51mg, 25th March 1.50mg, 1st April 1.49mg, 8th April 1.48mg, 15th April 1.47mg, 22nd April 1.46mg, 29th April 1.45mg
  • Diazepam 10mg ~ 22nd Oct 2018, 10th November 8mg, 14th Nov 7mg, 8th December 6mg, 30th December 5mg (Nocte), 7th March 2019 4.5mg,14th March 4mg, 5th April 3.5mg, 9th April 3mg, 18th April 2.5mg,1st May 2mg, 17th May 1.75mg, 25th May 1.6mg, 4th June 1.59mg, 5th June 1.58mg, 6th June 1.57mg, 7th June 1.56mg, 8th June 1.55mg, 22nd June 1.4mg, 4th July 1.2mg, 16th July 1mg, 30th July 0.8mg, 13th Aug 0.6mg, 28th Aug 0.4mg, 10th Sept 0.2mg, 23rd Sept Off! 
  • SR Circadin 2mg (melatonin) 25th May - 20th June 
  • Zolpidem 10mg 25th May (7 tablets)
  • Supplements: Magnesium glycinate (soluble - sip throughout the day) 

"Whenever you feel yourself doubting how far you can go,  just remember how far you have come.  Remember everything you have faced, all the battles you have won, and all the fears you have overcome"    Unknown 

@Scorpio @Kristine

Today my poor husband is on his own, but I took my daughter for spaghetti and brought him food.  He's not hungry.  

School is 8:00 to 2:15 except on Thurs it's to 1:15.  They have shortened the hours and taken away most of the recess time so that they don't have to pay the teachers and staff as much.  This means unstructured, creative play, sunshine and activity are the parents' problem.  The parents are usually at work until 6 or 7.  It's hard to find a way for her to get out and play with other kids.  So, she has activities, but it's not unstructured play the way it was for us.  If I were well I could do more for her -- have kids over, schedule play dates.  I try.

Scorpio, that's amazing, too, that you can care for a 15 month old!! He must be all over the place!  I know you aren't feeling well right now.

Kristine, Still worrying about you.  I'm sorry the Akathisia has returned.  Keep yourself cocooned.

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Rosetta - 

On 17/01/2018 at 4:04 PM, Rosetta said:

I had one cup of tea today.  I forgot to have a second.  Not good.  I'm going to have to have a second, but it's 10 pm.  

This is a good time for a green tea. 

Yes, there is caffeine in green tea (I've tapered down my caffeine so that I can do just a green tea and don't get the headaches - but I still have at least a green tea daily), but it's also got that lovely l-theanine (also in lemon balm) that is relaxing.  If you do not have milk in your green tea (it binds to the l-theanine and negates it), often the low caffeine (25 mg/cup) will be balanced by the l-theanine.

Just for fun, I found a chart to help you compare your cuppa tea/coffee etc:

Coffee drinks

Size in oz. (mL)

Caffeine (mg)

Brewed

8 (237)

95-165

Brewed, decaf

8 (237)

2-5

Espresso

1 (30)

47-64

Espresso, decaf

1 (30)

Instant

8 (237)

Instant, decaf

8 (237)

Latte or mocha

8 (237)

63-126

Teas

Size in oz. (mL)

Caffeine (mg)

Brewed black

8 (237)

25-48

Brewed black, decaf

8 (237)

2-5

Brewed green

8 (237)

25-29

Ready-to-drink, bottled

8 (237)

5-40

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/caffeine/art-20049372?pg=1

I decided (for myself) that the stress of totally decaffing was too much for me, so I still take a little caffeine each day.  But I can have just a cuppa green tea, and am spared the headache now.  And if I'm bold and dangerous I can have a coffee (always bulletproof, sorry AliG - maybe yours was not Espresso, which is lower in caffeine?), and usually live to tell the tale. 

My hardships come with the mid-afternoon lag, when I am dragging and really really really want a coffee, but if I do, I, like Ali, will regret it later....

The good news about caffeine, is that you can taper faster than psych drugs.  It's possible that you can taper as much as 25% a week.  The half-life of caffeine is about 6 hours, and while it is psychoactive, and does affect liver enzymes, (CYP1A2 is required to metabolise caffeine), it is still a relatively minor drug.

Reducing caffeine is an excellent goal - I was lucky and got away with just reducing (from 3 cups of strong coffee a day + Coca-Cola to where I am now).  You have a CT rollercoaster to ride, however, so the lower you can get it the better.  Maybe you can get down to just one green tea a day - and that might be enough.

Be sure and have lots of comforting alternatives - right now I'm having a lemon-balm tea with honey, and it is very comforting.  Other stimulating beverages include dandelion (too bitter for me), cardamom, black pepper, turmeric, maca (also an adrenal tonic), peppermint (yum!), hibiscus, cinnamon (Twinings has a lovely orange and cinnamon tea that I love), ginseng, ginger (might help with the constipation), and cayenne (I'm not brave enough to put straight cayenne in a tea yet, but I used to).

On 16/01/2018 at 4:42 AM, Rosetta said:

Ultimately, I read that intense exercise raises cortisol and the light went on.

At this point in time, you want parasympathetic exercise, like tai chi or yoga.

Here's one of my favourites (it's only 7 minutes long, so no excuses!):

After 7 minutes of this, you should feel a difference.  It may be minor at first, but like any practice, the more you do it, the more you build up a "bank" of resilience that you can draw upon in times of distress.

On 19/01/2018 at 8:09 AM, Rosetta said:

Using this iPad still makes it all worse.

Oh dear!  You're the second person today who is using an iPad / tablet here.  How do you ever do it?  Can you TALK to your iPad and it types for you like an iPhone does?  If I were on a tablet, I would've broken the thing by now by throwing it out the window!  Do you have a laptop you can use?  Then you can limit your time here, just sit for an hour at a desk - and it might be easier on your eyes, your neck, your poor muscles, etc.  Just a thought!  (I'm thinking about myself here - you may be different - but I don't see how anyone can use a tablet for more than a few minutes at a time!)

On 18/01/2018 at 4:47 AM, Rosetta said:

Oh, btw, having magnesium and then downing 2 cups of tea has . . . consequences.  

Here's another comforting beverage that Alto started us on. 

Take your magnesium tablet, and dissolve it in a cup or two of water.  Stir until dissolved, then keep it in the fridge.

When you feel you are starting to ramp up, go to the fridge and take a few sips of your magnesium.  It's soothing and helps you adjust in small ways during the day, and might actually improve sleep at night and level out some cortisol spikes, too.  Another plus - it might help with muscular symptoms, as well.  There isn't much one can do for akathisia, but this is one that has a lot more plusses than minuses!

Also - do you know about magnesium baths?
Epsom Salts - Another Way to Relax with Magnesium

If you can get ahold of Magnesium chloride (flakes), it has a stronger anti-anxiety component to it than the Epsom salts, but if all you can get is Epsom salts,  it is excellent for muscle tension

On 20/01/2018 at 6:42 AM, Rosetta said:

Rocking helped me a little.  Maybe you can get someone to rock you like a baby.  My husband did this for me.

We had someone here with very bad dystonia and akathisia, and she loved her rocking chair.  She would rock and knit, rock some more.  It's one way to work through that intense movement.

i'm a little more radical and think that fighting the akathisia can make it worse.  You know "look normal" and all of that?  It's stressful!  So next time you feel a dystonia, exaggerate the movement, thrash your feet around until the urge to move them passes.  When you are less reactive, you might even be able to dance yourself free!

On 20/01/2018 at 6:17 AM, Rosetta said:

Sometimes I see people say they were so devoid of emotion that they hurt themselves to "feel something."  Now that there is distance between me and aka, and I have more clarity I wonder if these people have aka.  

As I've mentioned to you privately, I have worked closely with loved ones who self injured.  All of them were heavily drugged.  One of them "learned" the behaviour in hospital - she was crying miserably, and another patient said, "This is what I do to stop the pain," and showed her.  From that point on, it has been a default coping strategy that has been difficult to stop or even control.  All of the self-injurers I have known describe a feeling of "numbness" before the urge to injure becomes overwhelming and they self-harm.  I think there are a lot of drug side effects possibly involved.  Anhedonia, akathisia, and lack of impulse control among them.  But there has been a huge increase of self-injury among young people, and I think you're right.  I'll bet that the curve closely matches the prescription curve in young people.  I'm not suggesting that all self-injury is drug induced, but that the drugs make it much easier to fall into that trap.  And at one point, in the 90's, it even became "fashionable," and they were given the name "Emo."  But did anyone - ANYONE - look at the drugs?

You know the answer.

I'm a sci-fi nut, too!  I loved Orson Scott Card's "Alvin Maker Trilogy" (though that was more fantasy/alternate universe).  Right now I'm into dystopias (imagine that) and am re-reading 1984, Brave New World and Handmaid's Tale.  It's stunning how true most of it is, in too many ways! 

When I was younger and smarter, I liked to read "hard science" fiction, like Asimov - but now it hurts my brain, and I stick to "social" science fiction - Orson Scott Card is a good example of that!  Ethical dilemmas, social organisations.  

Have you read the Mars Trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson?  There was one that gave me hope - that humans can do it, can organize themselves in a way which makes a better society.  It was more Utopian than dystopian.  

On 18/01/2018 at 1:31 PM, Rosetta said:

Why do I hate taking a shower?

Because showers are shocking nasty things that spew water all over you and you stand there - uncomfortable - while the showerhead has it's way with you.  (and don't get me started about chlorine and fluoride in the water!)

I still think that showers are shocking, and prefer the bath.  Now the bath - it's hard to get me out of!  I load it up with magnesium salts, baking soda, and my favourite essential oils and bask around until the water is cold.  Sometimes (in the heat of summer here) I even take cold baths!  It's better to wash my hair in the shower, but it's easier to face the shower after a long soak....

On 20/01/2018 at 12:09 PM, Rosetta said:

tingling and numbness on the right side of my body.  I

Parathesia.  Normal in withdrawal.  I still get it from time to time - but nothing like what it was like on the drugs.

On 22/01/2018 at 2:59 AM, Rosetta said:

Now, I am faced with this mess everyday, and it's not good for my mental health.  I am uncomfortable in my own home.  I am less anxious than I used to be about the mess, and I've had a few days -- maybe 2-3 <snip> When will I be able to take action again?!!

One of my favourite bosses ever sometimes handed me huge stacks of work, and she would ask:

"How do you eat an elephant?"

"One bite at a time."

Each day that you don't add to it - is an improvement.

Each day that you throw 3 things way - is an improvement.

Like Ali said - tiny steps.  Maybe today you can't look at it, but tomorrow you can throw 5 things away.  That's still progress!

On 23/01/2018 at 2:30 PM, Rosetta said:

My dystonia was worse right before bed because I used the iPad, I assume.

This may be triggered by the blue light of the iPad (it would be the same for computer, but sometimes the TV is far enough away to be less of an issue.

I had to wear blue-blocking sunglasses in order to use the computer at night for at least a year.  I still put them on sometimes as they seem to soothe something in my brain. 

It's not unreasonable to assume that blue light is a trigger.  I found this to be good information:  http://psycheducation.org/treatment/bipolar-disorder-light-and-darkness/dark-therapy/

On 24/01/2018 at 5:38 AM, Rosetta said:

While I was on Zoloft, by far the worst symptom was rampant anxiety including anticipatory anxiety.

And of course, it's one of the SSRI's that is approved for anxiety and panic disorder.  What are they thinking?

Sorry this is so long - I could only visit in bursts today, and so there's a lot of various stuff in this post.  I reckon if you find 1 thing useful, then I've done a good thing!

I hope you see the sun today!

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

On 3/5/2018 at 3:21 PM, DaveB said:

I am sorry for your struggles Rosetta, this place will be far less caring, warm, compassionate and uplifting if you are less active, but you need to do what is best for YOU!

It does sound like your emotions are coming back and you are making steady progress. You are a good person to read Rosetta. I’m sorry you’re having such a terrible time. 

2001 Remeron , Celexa, prozac a week on lithium. 

2014 went off effexor and trazadone in 3 weeks. 

2014 zoloft (hyper reaction) put on effexor 75 mg. Was stable until 2017 

2017  Trazadone 50 mg (June) Effexor to 113 mg (2 weeks) Effexor 150 mg for a month . Took 75 mg until November. . Lithium 10 days, Lamactil 10 day  aug-nov15 ativan

October : Prozac bridge to get off 75 mg of effexor Used 10 mg of prozac. Stopped prozac 3 wk 

Dec 6, 7 Upped trazadone from 50 to 100 mg Did it for 3 days Stopped it

Dec 7 , Dec 8 Took prozac again 0.1 , 0.1, 0.6 stopped it

Dec 11 and Dec 12 upped it to 100 again

Dec 15 , 16,17 went back to 50 mg of trazadone

December 18 Began 3 beads of effexor  Dec 25 began 5 beads of effexor take 10 mg of omneprazole daily

Thank you, JanCarol.  You make so good points.

Thsnks, @Downbutnotout I'll get through it somehow.

Day 20 of my cycle:

A huge improvement over yesterday

I feel more or less normal, but down or somewhat depressed.  After a hard day that seems predictable.

No cortisol awakening

No internal restlessness

Very slight dystonia -- in day (it's almost always there throughout the night -- connected to bruxism, I'm sure

Very mild anxiety

I feel an enveloping sadness and grief that this is going to go on for many months or longer.  

***Monica Cassani has written an update on beyondmeds.com about what has been happening with her.

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

• Moderator Emeritus

Good Day Rosetta !

On 30/01/2018 at 11:36 AM, Rosetta said:

They apparently have a new plastic contraption that he put in my mouth so that his assistant doesn't have to hold my tongue back or suction.  All she has to do is run water over my tooth with one hand and hand him instruments with the other.  Well, I won't go into detail, but this experience was extremely claustrophobic.  I'm traumatized.  I had never experienced that before.  Forty-five minutes.  Never, ever again!!!

You're too kind.

I've had this thing, and it was like rape.  Or - invasion at the very least.  I'll settle for "assault."

I've been listening to a former Dr. (she's been unlicensed) named Jennifer Daniels.  She talked about when she got her MD, they told her that she was immune from charges of assault or murder, because she was an MD.  She's a black woman, and this made her very suspicious - thinking they were leading her down the garden path, she investigated (she also has an MBA).  She said, "If someone on the street stuck you with a needle, it would be an assault, but when a doctor does it, it's 'for your own good.'"  If you die under a doctor's care, it's "care," but if someone else slowly poisoned you until you died, it would be murder.

Well, there are things which happen in the dentist's office, too.  And that sounds like assault!

(my other one is chiropractors.  Couldn't they at least buy me dinner or kiss me first?) 

On the flip side, you had a great window after you went through that.  I wonder about the stress of a bad tooth on your system.     ????It's all guesswork, but it's interesting to see correlation if not causation.

On 03/02/2018 at 7:38 AM, Rosetta said:

I don't want to use magnesium because I'm afraid of cramps.

This makes me wonder what form of magnesium you are using.    Different magnesiums get different results with different people.  For me, mag citrate gives me the runs (and resulting cramping) but in general, magnesium should relieve cramps, not cause them...and mag glycinate/disglycinate doesn't cramp at all, and poo is normal.  I've added mag taurate because I had some cardiac issues, but that's just me.

I've become fond of figs.  I also know that a "dose" of prunes will help, too. (and drinking lots of water)  Some swear by pear juice, but I find it too mild to work, and like prune juice to help.  Once or twice a month (no more) I allow myself an herb to move things along - I reckon that the benefits of moving things along outweighs the harm of using the herbs (senna, or cascara sagrada).

I'm catching up!  I hope you see the sun today!

On 3/5/2018 at 1:19 PM, Rosetta said:

Thank you for this helpful list!  I hope you are doing ok, dear Rosetta.  I relate to all you said about lack of motivation. Most of the time I can only wish I would want to do things I formerly loved doing, although yesterday for about an hour or so I did have a little window with that symptom while my granddaughters were here.  Good sign that maybe more improvement will follow.

xo RM

Alcohol periodic excessive 1963-1976, Valium sporadic 1964-1973,  Imipramine off & on 1982-1985, Fluoxetine 10mg-80 mg. Oct., 1995-Jan., 2014; Cymbalta, other ADs 1/2014-3/2014; Abilify 5 mg. 3/2014 - 8/8/17; Trintellix 20 mg. 3/2014 - 9/2017; Propranolol 60-80 mg. sporadically Sept-Oct, 2017; Seroquel few days Sept 2017 (c/t); Wellbutrin 150 mg. Sept, 2017 updosed to 300 mg. few days till c/t Oct 8, 2017, fish oil, vitD, vitE Oct 16, 2017-pres. Lipoflavonoid 4/2017-pres.  Fluoxetine 10 mg. Sept-Oct 8, 2017, 20 mg. 10/9- 10/15; 10 mg. 10/16 - 12/29;  9 mg. 12/30 - 2/9; 2 mL liquid (8.1mg) 2/10 - 3/7; 1.8 mL (7.29 mg) 3/8 -3/20; 1.6 mL (6.561mg) 3/20-4/2; 1.4 mL (5.9 mg) 4/3-4/14; 1mL (4 mg.) 4/15-4/22; .9mL (3.6mg) 4/23-5/1; .81mL (3.24 mg) 5/2-5/24; .73mL (2.916mg.) 5/25-6/8; .65mL 6/9-6/23; .6mL 6/24-7/17; .58mL 7/18-7/28; .525mL 7/29-8/13; .5 mL 8/14-21; .45mL 8/22-31; .4mL 9/2-21; .35mL 9/22-10/4; .3mL 10/5-28; .25mL 10/28-11/10; .2mL 11/11-11/24; .18mL 11/25-12/3; .1mL 12/4-12/18. Zero-12/19/18-present.

44 minutes ago, RealMe said:

Thank you for this helpful list!  I hope you are doing ok, dear Rosetta.  

Thanks, RM.. I'm glad your window was while your granddaughter was there.  How nice.

JanCarol, Thank you.  I'm hoping I can find the motivation to take all of your advice.  

I use mag citrate -- Calm.  I'm sitting outside to try to get sunlight.  

Volunteering at the school was very taxing and over stimulating this morning.  It's first grade.  The kids have so much energy.  I spend only 1 hour and 20 minutes with kids.  They come to my table in groups of 4-6 at a time for 15 minutes.  

This time, I was trying to get them to focus on writing sentences with proper punctuation.  Today, they were supposed to use an adjective in each sentence.  They are supposed to dream up their own sentence based on one word on a random card and the roll of a die that tells them what punctuation must go at the end of the sentence.  This activity goes against everything I believe about what they should be learning in first grade, of course.  

My daughter seems to enjoy getting my attention by doing her work incorrectly.  She used to cry to get my attention, but the teacher told her I couldn't visit any longer if she kept doing that.  So, now I get to see her spell all the words incorrectly.  She spells them in a phonetic way.  Everyone else in her high level reading group spells rather well.  I suspect she can, too, and certainly don't believe that she should be asked to do this kind of work at her age.  However, this neuro-pessimistic brain of mine leaves the school full of all sorts of fears and worries after I see her in class.  

Oh, well, wishing the world were different won't make it so, and it won't make my neuro-emotional brain any less scrambled either.  

She and I had a nice afternoon on Tuesday (two days ago) together at a crystal geode store.  I had started a window -- feeling "normal" -- that day in the afternoon.  The man at the store took her to see all the amazing geodes and let her hold a lot of them.  He had meteorites, too, and she held one.  He showed us a crystal with petroleum trapped inside.  The petroleum flowed as he moved the crystal about.  There were squares, triangles and hexagons that the Earth had made tucked away inside rocks.  I found those intriguing.  My daughter picked out a tiny sliver of a geode (amethyst) that she wants for her birthday.  Then we had spaghetti at a pizza place.  I'm holding on to that afternoon while I feel crummy today.

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

Hey Rosetta, I'm happy that you had some quality time with your daughter.  You are such a sweet person and an amazing Mom!  

2004-present  Zoloft  (Sertraline) 200mg 03/13/2018 (begin taper 5%) 190mg hold for 3 weeks

1983-present-Nicotine (pack a day) Seriously need to quit!

"What is the slope of the line?  "It's positive,' 'And what does that mean?  'It means we make progress everyday'

On 3/5/2018 at 3:21 PM, DaveB said:

I am sorry for your struggles Rosetta, this place will be far less caring, warm, compassionate and uplifting if you are less active, but you need to do what is best for YOU!

I do agree. 

2017  Trazadone 50 mg (June) Effexor to 113 mg (2 weeks) Effexor 150 mg for a month . Took 75 mg until November. . Lithium 10 days, Lamactil 10 day  aug-nov15 ativan

October : Prozac bridge to get off 75 mg of effexor Used 10 mg of prozac. Stopped prozac 3 wk 

December 18 Began 3 beads of effexor  Dec 25 began 5 beads of effexor take 10 mg of omneprazole daily

Wow.  It's day 21.  I just discovered that this wave has been and will be a WD enhanced PMS, I believe.  Oh, joy.  

Slept more or less ok last night with the usual short insomnia stint with lovely depressive thoughts and teariness thrown in.  

Very little morning cortisol.

Anxiety is med-low.

Depression/pessimism is rather strong.

Dystonia/muscle tension is slight unless I read.

Demotivated.

Irritable.

Sad.

Frustrated.

(Thanks for checking on me, @Downbutnotout.  That's so kind.  Hugs to you.)

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

• Mentor
4 minutes ago, Rosetta said:

Anxiety is med-low.

Depression/pessimism is rather strong.

Dystonia/muscle tension is slight unless I read.

Demotivated.

Irritable.

Sad.

Frustrated.

Yup: that is an accurate description for me too. Oh and it is Day 19 for me so bring on the joy :-) Hang in there and I will try too.

• Prozac | late 2004-mid-2005 | CT WD in a couple months, mostly emotional
  • Sertraline 50-100mg | 11/2011-3/2014, 10/2014-3/2017
  • Sertraline fast taper March 2017, 4 weeks, OFF sertraline April 1, 2017
  • Quit alcohol May 20, 2017
  • Lifestyle changes: AA, kundalini yoga

"If you've seen a monster, even if it's horrible, that's evidence of divinity." – Damien Echols

Sending you the biggest of hugs and love Rosetta :wub: K xo

• Parnate  20mg - 50mg and olazapine 5mg ~ Jan 2016 - May 2016 (ceased over 2 days) 
  • Clonazepam 1.5mg daily ~ July 2016 (started tapering May 2017 - September 2017 currently on 0.375mg..ie 0.125mg TDS) 27th May 2018 5% 0.357mg (possible paradoxical reaction - see benzo thread)  28th June 5% 0.337mg, 28th July 10% 0.303mg, 12th September10% 0.272mg, 18th September reinstated 10% due to intolerable WD 0.303mg, 1st October-11th Oct 10% (1% reduction over 10 days) 0.272mg, 22nd October clonazepam ceased crossed over 10mg diazepam
  •  Dexamphatamine 20mg ~ December 2016 (started tapering October 2017 - tapered 1.25mg 4th Dec 2017, 1.25mg 19th Dec 2017 6.25mg, Speed up decrease due to major interaction between Dex and fluoxetine- ref to thread 10% 17th Feb 2018 5.63mg, 10% 21st Feb 2018 5.1mg, 10% 26th Feb 2018 4.5mg 10% 28th Feb 4.1mg, 10% 1st March 3.7mg, 10% 5th March 3.3mg, 10% 8th March 3mg, 10% 10th March 2.7mg, 10% 12th March 2.4mg, 10% 14th March 2.16mg, 10% 16th March 1.94mg, 10% 18th March 1.74mg, 10% 20th March 1.57mg, 10% 21st March 1.41mg, 10% 22nd March 1.26mg, 10% 23rd March 1.13mg, 10% 24th March 1.01mg, 10% 25th March 0.9mg, 10% 27th March 0.81mg, 10% 29th March 0.73mg, 10% 31st March 0.66mg, 10% 2nd April 0.59mg , 10% 4th April 0.53mg, 10% 6th April 0.47mg, 10% 8th April 0.42mg, 10%10th April 0.37mg, 11th April 0.2mg, 12th April 0.1mg (last dose) OFF! 
  • Fluoxetine 40mg ~December 2016 - 31 Jan 2018 reduced to 20mg (probable serotonin toxicity) 10th March 2020 10mg (1:1 ratio), 7th April 9mg, 1st May 8.5mg, 15th May 8.0mg, 27th May 7.5mg, 8th Sept 7.2mg, 2nd Oct 7mg, 19th Oct 6.8mg, 28th Oct 6.6mg, 5th Nov 6.4mg, 26th Nov 6mg, 2nd April 2021 5.9mg, 9th April 5.8mg, 19th April 5.75mg, 22nd April 5.7mg, 26th April 5.65mg,28th April 5.6mg, 1st May 5.5mg, 4th May 5.45mg, 7th May 5.4mg, 10th May 5.35mg, 12th May 5.3mg, 15th May 5.25mg, 18th May 5.2mg, 20th May 5.15mg, 22nd May 5mg, 10th July 4.5mg, 9th Aug 4.48mg (switched from syringe to pipette method), 12th Aug 4.46mg, 14th Aug 4.4mg, 18th Aug 4.38mg, 19th Aug 4.36mg, 20th Aug 4.34, 21st 4.32mg, 22nd 4.3mg, 23rd Aug 4mg (hold), (micro-taper) 12th Oct 2021 3.98mg, 14th Oct 3.96mg, 15th Oct 3.94mg, 16th Oct 3.92mg, 17th Oct 3.9mg, 18th Oct 3.88mg, 19th Oct 3.86mg, 21st Oct 3.84mg, 22nd Oct 3.82mg, 23rd Oct 3.8mg, 24th Oct 3.78mg, 25th Oct 3.76mg, 26th Oct 3.74mg, 27th Oct 3.72mg, (WD reached intolerable level, reinstated 0.06mg) 28th Oct 3.8mg, 7th March 2022 3.7mg, 21st March 3.6mg, 4th April 3.5mg, 18th April 3.4mg, 2nd May 3.3mg, 16th May 3.2mg, 20th June 3.1mg, 4th July 3mg, 18th July 2.9mg, 12th September 2.7mg, 18th October 2.5mg, 14th Nov 2.3mg, 12th December 2.1mg, 18th January 2023 1.9mg, 9th July 2023 1.88mg, 16th July 1.86mg, 23rd July 1.84mg, 30th July 1.82mg, 6th Aug 1.80mg, 10th Sept 1.7mg, 12th Oct 1.68mg, 23rd Oct 1.66mg, 30th Oct 1.64mg, 6th Nov 1.62mg, 13th Nov 1.60mg, (2:1 ratio) 30th Dec 1.597mg, 7th Jan 2024 1.595mg, 8th 1.592mg,  10th 1.589, 11th 1.587, 12th 1.585, 13th 1.583, 14th 1.58 cont… 5th Feb 1.56mg, 11th Feb 1.55mg, 19th Feb 1.54mg, 26th Feb 1.53mg, 4th March 1.52mg, 11th March 1.51mg, 25th March 1.50mg, 1st April 1.49mg, 8th April 1.48mg, 15th April 1.47mg, 22nd April 1.46mg, 29th April 1.45mg
  • Diazepam 10mg ~ 22nd Oct 2018, 10th November 8mg, 14th Nov 7mg, 8th December 6mg, 30th December 5mg (Nocte), 7th March 2019 4.5mg,14th March 4mg, 5th April 3.5mg, 9th April 3mg, 18th April 2.5mg,1st May 2mg, 17th May 1.75mg, 25th May 1.6mg, 4th June 1.59mg, 5th June 1.58mg, 6th June 1.57mg, 7th June 1.56mg, 8th June 1.55mg, 22nd June 1.4mg, 4th July 1.2mg, 16th July 1mg, 30th July 0.8mg, 13th Aug 0.6mg, 28th Aug 0.4mg, 10th Sept 0.2mg, 23rd Sept Off! 

"Whenever you feel yourself doubting how far you can go,  just remember how far you have come.  Remember everything you have faced, all the battles you have won, and all the fears you have overcome"    Unknown 

Hey Lovely Rosetta,

I'm just sending you big ((((((((((huggs)))))))

• 1995 started Paxil 20mg slowly increasing to 50mg 2014 I decided to tapper myself not knowing how too and crashed , DR added 50mg of Seroquel

• Through the years made many mistakes tapering

• Started Tapering Both drugs at the same time 7.5% per month Paxil 9% Seroquel doing daily micro-taper 

• Guided by Mark Horowitz

• 31/3/24 Paxil 10.31mg

• 31/3/24 Seroquel 9.9mg

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Rosetta -

On 06/02/2018 at 7:05 AM, Rosetta said:

I can't identify what it is about having a bath or shower that is causing this anxiety.  Why? Because it's not the bath that's the problem.  My mind is trying to identify the problem, but the truth is that there isn't a real life problem.  There is only a malfunctioning brain.

Oh dear, baths, too?

I was writing on my own thread, here about resilience and Heart Rate Variability.

I think the thing that sticks with me is - one of the reasons I accepted a diagnosis of bipolar was that I was so "sticky."  If I was asleep I didn't want to awaken.  If I was awake I didn't want to sleep.  If I was angry, I stayed angry, if I was anxious, I stayed anxious.  If I was depressed, it became a ruminating rut that was difficult to get out of.

So here's the key one:  if I was dry, I didn't want to get wet.  If I am dry I don't want to get wet.  For some reason, this does not apply to oceans, streams and waterfalls, where I will strip off my shoes and socks and run right in.  But a bath or shower?  Remove my clothes?  and get wet?  It's sticky!

Does this stickiness relate to your feeling of not wanting to do it?  Instead of pacing back and forth in anxiety, can you approach the problem with curiosity?  Is it really anxiety - or is it a physical response that you interpret as such?  Claire Weekes (as suggested by LexAnger) talks of anxiety as physical stuff that are the same as fear signals - so we get confused and think that the sweaty hands, firing nerves, increased heart rate, dry mouth, are a real feeling, instead of a simple physiological response to elements beyond our control.

Dr. Claire Weekes - Recovering from a Sensitized Nervous System

So - congratulations for facing it and getting clean.  The clean feeling is a good thing, if you can just get there!  And - I see that you are even getting clean before 8:00 am!  WOW!  You are ahead of me on that one!

I hope you see the sun today.

8 hours ago, JanCarol said:

So here's the key one:  if I was dry, I didn't want to get wet.  If I am dry I don't want to get wet.  For some reason, this does not apply to oceans, streams and waterfalls, where I will strip off my shoes and socks and run right in.  But a bath or shower?  Remove my clothes?  and get wet?  It's sticky!

That's terribly interesting, JanCarol.  There is a "stickiness factor" to many of my thought processes.  

The aversion to getting wet started before I quit the SSRI.  It began and became worse over the 5 years on Zoloft.  I thought I was afraid to leave my baby outside of my arms reach.  Then, when that explanation no longer made any sense, I thought it was that I was too tired to comb and dry my hair, put on clothes, etc.  I was, in fact, too tired from the effort of washing my hair, but in truth, I was simply afraid to change anything for fear of "something" going wrong.  It became even worse after I quit Zoloft.  

I don't want to "have" to do anything; it's threatening to be asked to do anything -- even to be asked by myself.  I think it's related to the unpredictability of the onset or increase in WD symptoms.  I'm afraid of absolutely everything because I don't know what may cause me additional distress.  I feel pummeled by life.  Any sound, any sensation, any light turned on, any change in the status quo is potential danger.  It must be related to the glutamate being in action and the lack of gaba available to calm me down after an outside stimulus activates my feelings of internal restlessness.  At the same time I don't want to do anything, I'm lonely and bored, and I know I'm missing out on life.  I want to do things, but I'm afraid of the negative consequences.

Now that internal restlessness isn't a consistent problem, I'm still expecting and looking for my body's response to any change in my surroundings.  Am I scared? Am I sad? Am in danger?  Is the WD monster there somewhere just waiting to pounce?  I'm still quite fatigued, of course.  I have an aversion to starting anything, going anywhere, and doing anything.  I do these things anyway, when I can, and I have negative consequences less often than I used to.  Maybe, slowly, I'll learn to relax.

It's still a long way off.   I hope nothing happens to me before I get there.

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

Journal:

The rest of Thursday (Day 21) was filled with a hormone headache that ramped up the muscle tension in my neck and  tiredness, but picked my daughter up from school.  I did not go to gymnastics.  Sleep that night was poor due to the headache and bruxism.  When I woke up in the night I didn't feel anxious or depressed.

Friday morning I had no cortisol awakening.  I was not too much better physically, but the emotional problems subsided quite a bit.  I spent the day in pain from my headache and dystonia, and I took ibuprophen.  I took my daughter to school and went out to breakfast.  Then, I had to decide whether and how to see friends who were in town from Minnesota.  We went to my MIL's where we saw our friends and we stayed the night.  I took another ibuprophen.  The pain subsided that evening, and I think it was because the hormones changed not because of the ibuprophen.  I slept all right except for discomfort from bruxism and tension in my neck.  When I woke up in the night I didn't feel anxious or depressed (that's two nights in a row.)

Today is Saturday, Day 23.  I had no cortisol awakening, and I slept in just a bit to 7:30 with my eye pillow.  My daughter had a sleep over with her grandmother.  That's the first time my daughter has not been in the same room with me for at least part of the night since she was 4.  It's probably the third time in her life.  I have not been anxious very much today.  I feel ok except for some situational anxiety/crying brought on by trying to do too much and finding things out of place at home (a box I had sorted out that was moved by my husband to a place where my daughter could find it and ruin my hard work.  She didn't.)

I'm not looking forward to the time change.  It's the last thing I need.  I would like to count the last 48 hours as a window due to the emotional issues being much better, but the pain in my head/eye was pretty intense until about 16 hours ago.  All in all I've weathered seeing friends and a night away from home quite well.  I could not have even considered being away from home 2-3 months ago.

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

44 minutes ago, Rosetta said:

All in all I've weathered seeing friends and a night away from home quite well.  I could not have even considered being away from home 2-3 months ago.

This is such great news, Rosetta....more evidence of how you are healing - very happy for you!  

-1/06 - 3/07 Cymbalta. Fast taper (essentially CT); withdrawal symptoms after 4 mos (didn't realize was WD)

-10/07: 100 mg Zoloft; 1 mg Klonopin - tapered off Klonopin after 4 mos. Several unsuccessful slow tapers of Zoloft; went up and down in dose a lot

-Spring 2013 back on 1 mg Klonopin to counter WD symptoms; switched over 5-6 mos from Zoloft to 35 mg citalopram
-Two attempts at slow tapering citalopram, always increased dose due to WD; also increased Klonopin to 1.25 mg in 2014, then to 1.5 mg in 2015

-8/17-9/17: After holding one year at 20 mg, feeling withdrawal symptoms due to stress - slowly increased to 25 mg. No change in symptoms after 6 months (? tolerance ?)  - decided to start citalopram taper February 2018 (still on Klonopin 1.5 mg).

Supplements: fish oil; magnesium; vitamin D3; curcumin

Citalopram taper:  2/2018 - 12/2019: 25 mg - 11.03 mg I 2020: 10.89 mg - 7.9 mg I 2021: 7.8 mg - 5.26 mg I 2022: 5.2 mg - 3.36 mg I 2023: 3.3 mg - 1.47 mg 2024: 1/5/24: 1.44 mg; 1/19/24: 1.40 mg; 1/26/24: 1.37 mg; 2/2/24: 1.34 mg; 2/9/24: 1.31 mg; 2/23/24: 1.28 mg; 3/1/24: 1.25 mg; 3/8/24: 1.22 mg; 3/15/24: 1.19 mg; 3/29/24: 1.17 mg; 4/5/24: 1.14 mg; 4/13/24: 1.11 mg; 4/20/24: 1.09 mg

Ditto to what WR said :wub: such massive progress to both socialise and spend a night away from home. Kudos, my friend. Much Love. K xo

Are you using a mouth guard at night?  I used one for years and it really helped.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

12 hours ago, brassmonkey said:

Are you using a mouth guard at night?  I used one for years and it really helped.

No, but I should find mine.  The ping ponging is getting even more intense.  It scares me, and it worries my husband.  He says he sees the "SSRI personality" flare up (anger & frustration coupled with fear), and he really expected that to be gone by now.

This morning I woke up with no Bruxism -- the muscles were completely relaxed for the first time in 6-8 months.  This is encouraging, of course, but the previous 12 hour were very spooky.

Yesterday I had normal emotions all day, then anger at bedtime, then I awoke with abject fear in the dead of night.  It was as if I were having cortisol awakening in the dark.  I was so anxious I went to my husband for comfort.  Then, after I fell asleep next to him, I had the normal emotions (with a pounding heart) when my daughter's crying woke me up later.  I woke up in the morning feeling normal with no cortisol, no anxiety, no depression, and -- for the first time -- no bruxism nor dystonia.

I wish I could find a topic about this matter of emotions very rapidly changing over the course of less than a day.  I want to believe it means something good, but it feels quite scary.

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

• Moderator Emeritus

It's called emotional lability.  Here's a link:

Emotional lability or waves and windows? - Surviving Antidepressants

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

20 minutes ago, Rosetta said:

No, but I should find mine.  The ping ponging is getting even more intense.  It scares me, and it worries my husband.  He says he sees the "SSRI personality" flare up (anger & frustration coupled with fear), and he really expected that to be gone by now.

This morning I woke up with no Bruxism -- the muscles were completely relaxed for the first time in 6-8 months.  This is encouraging, of course, but the previous 12 hour were very spooky.

Yesterday I had normal emotions all day, then anger at bedtime, then I awoke with abject fear in the dead of night.  It was as if I were having cortisol awakening in the dark.  I was so anxious I went to my husband for comfort.  Then, after I fell asleep next to him, I had the normal emotions (with a pounding heart) when my daughter's crying woke me up later.  I woke up in the morning feeling normal with no cortisol, no anxiety, no depression, and -- for the first time -- no bruxism nor dystonia.

I wish I could find a topic about this matter of emotions very rapidly changing over the course of less than a day.  I want to believe it means something good, but it feels quite scary.

If I were you, I’d feel really encouraged. 

Thanks @Gridley I couldn't remember that term.  I wonder how the random cortisol spikes interconnect if they do at all.  Maybe it's two separate phenomenon.  This is the second time this week I woke up with intense anxiety and/or cortisol.  I looked back and saw that it happened on Monday night, too.  Maybe cortisol has nothing to do with it, but it feels very similar to waking with cortisol.

I'm going to try to enjoy my day.  I hope you are well, Gridley.

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

50 minutes ago, Downbutnotout said:

If I were you, I’d feel really encouraged. 

Thanks, D.  Maybe I should.  I do not like feeling so out of control.  Feeling angry is particularly scary for me.  But, I am getting a break from the misery, and I am going to take the risk of doing something outside today.  I always feel the sword of Dabocles there.

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

7 minutes ago, Rosetta said:

Thanks, D.  Maybe I should.  I do not like feeling so out of control.  Feeling angry is particularly scary for me.  But, I am getting a break from the misery, and I am going to take the risk of doing something outside today.  I always feel the sword of Dabocles there.

You’re lucky you’re getting a break from your misery.

6 hours ago, Rosetta said:

Hey Rosetta,  I just wish I could give you a big hug.  When you feel angry is it linked to thoughts that make you feel angry? Or is it mainly that chemical rage feeling that builds up? I only ask because I suffer from both and find the two very distinct from each other. Since decreasing the Prozac I'm finding many memories are surfacing..stuff that I thought was long buried..stuff that makes me feel very angry.  On the other hand I get this irritability which builds inside me which shifts to angers/rage but it isn't attached to a negative experience or memory..it feels purely chemical.  It is scary.  Being on an emotional roller coaster everyday is scary.  I think what you are experiencing is healing. You are experiencing many purely positive symptom changes as well.  You are going to be okay my friend. Much Love K xo

7 minutes ago, Kristine said:

I think what you are experiencing is healing. You are experiencing many purely positive symptom changes as well.  You are going to be okay my friend. Much Love K xo

Oh, I hope so!  I think so, too, but I lose faith when I have intense anxiety.   That optimism I felt a few weeks ago has faded for some reason.  I do hope I can get it back.  I'm looking into changing my diet.  It's difficult to find the energy and the focus when I'm having erratic moods, but I think it would help.  I don't think my blood sugar is well regulated.  I'm worried that the meds damaged some part of that system.

I threw the cat out in the rain last night, poor thing.  I would not have done that before WD.  She makes my nights miserable.  She claws at the carpet under my door if she's not outside.  If she's in the room, she does not give up until she's under the covers right next to my body heating my world like a little furnace.  Last night, she was making biscuits on my leg and purring loudly.  All things I would have found endearing before the switch to Zoloft.  I wanted to scream.  I think about taking her to a no-kill shelter often.  She's been with over 5 years. This isn't me.  This is the opposite of who I was about 7 years ago.  I am so desperate to be myself again.

You are so kind.  With all you are going through my problems are child's play.  Thank you for being supportive.  Your ability to do that is amazing.

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

15 hours ago, Rosetta said:

Oh, I hope so!  I think so, too, but I lose faith when I have intense anxiety.   That optimism I felt a few weeks ago has faded for some reason.  I do hope I can get it back.  I'm looking into changing my diet.  It's difficult to find the energy and the focus when I'm having erratic moods, but I think it would help.  I don't think my blood sugar is well regulated.  I'm worried that the meds damaged some part of that system.

I threw the cat out in the rain last night, poor thing.  I would not have done that before WD.  She makes my nights miserable.  She claws at the carpet under my door if she's not outside.  If she's in the room, she does not give up until she's under the covers right next to my body heating my world like a little furnace.  Last night, she was making biscuits on my leg and purring loudly.  All things I would have found endearing before the switch to Zoloft.  I wanted to scream.  I think about taking her to a no-kill shelter often.  She's been with over 5 years. This isn't me.  This is the opposite of who I was about 7 years ago.  I am so desperate to be myself again.

You are so kind.  With all you are going through my problems are child's play.  Thank you for being supportive.  Your ability to do that is amazing.

The intense anxiety is just crazy isn't it. It sucks the hope right ou of you and makes everything turn negative. It is SO hard, but it has improved a lot for you in the last few months correct? I feel like mine is finally improving as well. 

2008 - October 28th, 2016: Zoloft 50 - 150 mgs, settled on 50mgs from 2011 - 2016.
January 23rd - March 1st 2017: Zoloft 50mgs, direct switch to Lexapro.
March 1st - May 1st 2017: Lexapro 10 mgs, down to 5mgs for a week, then off.
June 1st - July 31st 2017: Paxil 20mgs, Lyrica 600mgs
August 1st - September 30th 2017: Paxil 40mgs, Zyprexa 2.5mgs
October 1st  - November 12th 2017: Paxil 60mgs, Zyprexa 2.5mgs
November 12th, 2017 - September 4th 2018: Paxil 40mgs, Zyprexa 2.5mgs 

September 4th - September 27th: Paxil 30mgs, Zyprexa 2.5mgs

September 28th - November 7th: Paxil 20mgs, Zyprexa 2.5mgs (Also Testosterone Therapy started in June 2018 and ended in November 2018)

November 7th 2018 - February 22nd 2019: Paxil 10mgs, Zyprexa 2.5mgs

February 22nd 2019 - April 17th: Zyprexa 2.5mgs, Klonopin 1mgs

April 17th - Now: Zoloft 25mgs, Zyprexa 2.5mgs, Klonopin .5mgs