Jump to content
JillianJ

JillianJ: Introduction

Recommended Posts

JillianJ

Just found these forums.  This is 1st Post.  I’m about 10 Days into withdrawal from Pristiq and Lexapro. (I’m assuming my “signature “ automatically attaches to this, so I don’t have to go into all the details again?)

This has been shocking how hard this is. The worst for me has been the wild mood swings, accompanied by extreme anger and some outbursts.  Also, a lot of shouting in the privacy of my car.  I feel pretty out of control a lot of the time, with a hair-trigger temper.  I used to be somewhat like this before antidepressants. But this is even worse.

I’m scaring myself with how quickly I can become over the top angry. Also very anxious.

The physical symptoms include one thing I haven’t seen mentioned, so I wonder if anyone has also felt them. It feels like my tongue is tingling, sometimes lips too, and I also get these zippy tingling sensations internally that make me think my heart is racing, but when I check my heart rate, it’s fine.

My biggest concern is that I’ll be traveling soon, which always makes me irritable and anxious, so I wonder how I can handle it right now. I do have a small number of Valium, which I almost never take but I have it for fear of flying.  Should I just go ahead and take it? Will it help? Or will using it just create more problems?

Thanks for “listening “.

Share this post


Link to post
JillianJ

So, I’m feeling a little desperate for some kind of response because I’m traveling in 36 hours and I honestly don’t know if I can handle the the airport and flying stress. I carry Valium with me just in case, but haven’t taken it in years. If I took it this time, would it make my SSRI w/d better or worse?

please, I need some advice.

Share this post


Link to post
AliG

Hi Jillian. A once or twice dose of Valium , if you feel you need it probably won't hurt, whilst travelling. It's the persistent use that is more of a problem ~ it only takes about 2 weeks to become dependent. If you already know that and are aware, it should not really become an issue.

 

Let us know how we can help, further.

Welcome to SA,

Ali

Share this post


Link to post
Purplerain
17 hours ago, JillianJ said:

Just found these forums.  This is 1st Post.  I’m about 10 Days into withdrawal from Pristiq and Lexapro. (I’m assuming my “signature “ automatically attaches to this, so I don’t have to go into all the details again?)

This has been shocking how hard this is. The worst for me has been the wild mood swings, accompanied by extreme anger and some outbursts.  Also, a lot of shouting in the privacy of my car.  I feel pretty out of control a lot of the time, with a hair-trigger temper.  I used to be somewhat like this before antidepressants. But this is even worse.

I’m scaring myself with how quickly I can become over the top angry. Also very anxious.

The physical symptoms include one thing I haven’t seen mentioned, so I wonder if anyone has also felt them. It feels like my tongue is tingling, sometimes lips too, and I also get these zippy tingling sensations internally that make me think my heart is racing, but when I check my heart rate, it’s fine.

My biggest concern is that I’ll be traveling soon, which always makes me irritable and anxious, so I wonder how I can handle it right now. I do have a small number of Valium, which I almost never take but I have it for fear of flying.  Should I just go ahead and take it? Will it help? Or will using it just create more problems?

Thanks for “listening “.

 

Hi Jillian, welcome to the forum. I just wanted to say I definitely understand what you’re talking about with the tingly lips/tongue (I also experience an itchy tongue which is very annoying!) and the zippy internal feelings that feel as though it’s your heart. I’ve had the latter for pretty much the whole time I’ve been on antidepressants (9 years now) whenever I was late taking a dose, and also now as I am weaning off I experience it as my body accommodates the lower doses. The bouts of anger have also been the most frightening thing for me, as I’m someone who has a lot of shame attached to that particular emotion. Just wanted to send some love and let you know you are not alone, there are hundreds of people here including myself who will understand and empathise with your situation xx L

Share this post


Link to post
JillianJ

Hi Purplerain. Your post to me means a lot. I have not been this angry and out of control ever.

But now I just spoke with my psychiatrist and she’s not sure if all of this is the result of getting OFF Pristiq and Lexapro, or getting ON Lyrica. Unfortunately, all of it happened within a week’s time. She was managing the withdrawal from the antidepressants, while my primary care doctor- at a checkup- decided to put me on Lyrica for worsening fibromyalgia.  Bad call, because now it’s even harder to sort out.

Finding this site, though, is comforting. Thank you so much for writing to me!

Share this post


Link to post
JillianJ
1 hour ago, AliG said:

Hi Jillian. A once or twice dose of Valium , if you feel you need it probably won't hurt, whilst travelling. It's the persistent use that is more of a problem ~ it only takes about 2 weeks to become dependent. If you already know that and are aware, it should not really become an issue.

 

Let us know how we can help, further.

Welcome to SA,

Ali

Thanks. I will take your advice! And I’m not an addictive type so I should be okay.

Share this post


Link to post
Altostrata

Welcome, Jillian.

 

That drug cocktail is ridiculous. The combination of Pristiq and Lexapro is dangerous. And Wellbutrin too? Whoever prescribed these for you, do not go to this person for medical advice again.

 

You are experiencing acute withdrawal syndrome. Do you have any Lexapro left? If so, taking a small amount, say 2mg, might take the edge off the symptoms.

 

This topic explains how to take a small dose by making a liquid from Lexapro Tips for tapering off Lexapro (escitalopram)

 

Side effects of Wellbutrin can be anxiety, irritability, sleeplessness, and palpitations. How much Wellbutrin are you taking, and when? Do your symptoms increase after you take Wellbutrin? What is Buspar supposed to do for you?

 

What times of day do you take Lyrica?

 

Please put ALL your drugs in the Drug Interactions Checker https://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.php
and copy and paste the results in this topic.

Share this post


Link to post
JillianJ

Hi, Altostrata.

I should clarify that I wasn’t taking Pristiq and Lexapro together. Went off Lexapro in Nov to go n Pristiq. When I had to go off P 3 weeks later, doctor put me back on L for a week, I guess to ease off P.

ive been on Wellbutrin for a while. Started Buspar this year due to increased anxiety and decades of sleep problems.  Of all drugs, Buspar seems gentlest with no detectable side effects.

The complicating factor in all this is that my PCP put me on Lyrica for my fibromyalgia just as I was getting off Pristiq. Talked to psychiatrist yesterday who said my physical and emotional symptoms could be w/d from SSRI, or from starting Lyrica, or both. We decided I’d stop Lyrica and monitor to see if that eases anything. I did feel more in control emotionally today. Will see how it goes over next days. Don’t want to restart Lexapro unless I really need to.

Tomorrow is long travel day. Will take 2.5 or 5 mg Valium if I get too anxious.

thanks for your response!

Share this post


Link to post
nz11

 Greetings JJ

I am so sorry for the situation you now find yourself in due to no fault of your own. And so glad you have found sa.

How did they come to the diagnosis of fibromyalgia? Is this just a sudden new thing or was it diagnosed prior to ads?

 And Lyrica for fibro is outrageous.  That chemical has a shameful history of fraud and 'concocted studies ' attached to it.

I'm actually glad you stopped the lyrica (you might like to note this in your drug sig.) However  i'd take altos advice and try a small dose of lex because after what looks like at least 5 years of Lexapro addiction (with a prior 12 years of ad addiction) and now a CT off Lexapro  (and your pdoc calls that 'managing wdl'!?!..I wonder how she will manage what may unfold  over the next month or two ...maybe throw even more drugs and bigger doses at you ) imo you may be about to come up against full blown lexapro wdl symptoms. It  may not be pleasant. I have my doubts about the Wellbutrin and now increased buspar containing it. 

 

I know you say you don't want to take any lexapro but as you are going on holiday for x amount of time maybe you could consider putting some in your suitcase just in case.

Even though you are on holiday are you still able to check in here?

 

Glad you have found sa 

nz11

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
JillianJ

Hi, Platinum Star.

I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia many years ago, but it’s been worse in last year or two.

I haven’t yet decided to restart Lexapro, even at a small dose. Why is it good to do that?

My update is that I still feel crappy, but the physical stuff has subsided. Still emotionally very shaky, but a tad less so today. The jury is still out on whether stopping Lyrica might be the reason for a slight improvement.

I was surprised re your comments on Lyrica only because I thought it was specifically developed for fibromyalgia.

Share this post


Link to post
nz11
1 hour ago, JillianJ said:

I was surprised re your comments on Lyrica only because I thought it was specifically developed for fibromyalgia.

 lyrica (pregabalin) was involved in one of the largest cases of academic fraud in history in which researcher Scott Reuben "concocted data  for 21 studies" related its use for pain management as reported in the new York times in 2009.

Share this post


Link to post
JillianJ

Wow. Well I’m off the Lyrica now but still feel v irritable and down. However, physical symptoms have decreased. 

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...