J2020: Uncontrollable crying

J2020

I have been on Effexor xr for anxiety several times in the past 4 years as well as a small dose of seroquel at night but always stopped taking after a few months of feeling better. Normally 75mg to 150mg has helped me live life better and feel like myself again.

Yet this time I started on 75mg 4 weeks in took up to 150mg and have been on it for 2 months and still feeling terrible.

The last 2 weeks I have found myself crying uncontrollably at the drop of a hat. It's driving me crazy I don't want to cry but just can't seem to stop it from happening. Doctor has put the effexor dose up to the max 225mg which I started today.

But if anyone has had the same experience with crying on effector I would love to hear how others have dealt with it as it is putting a lot of pressure on my day to day life and relationship.

Edited by baroquep
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi, J2020.

Unpredictable crying and emotional symptoms are very common with these drugs, especially when there are drastic changes in doses. So that may be what's happening.

Here are some links to get you started on learning about withdrawal and withdrawal symptoms: 

What is withdrawal syndrome? 

Before you begin tapering, what you need to know

Healing from antidepressants. Patterns of recovery video (4 minutes)

These unpredictable emotions are known as neuro-emotions and they are quite common:

Neuro-emotions

Here is information specific to Effexor:

Tips for tapering off Effexor (venlafaxine)

20 hours ago, J2020 said:

Doctor has put the effexor dose up to the max 225mg which I started today.

If your goal is to come off Effexor, please do not increase your dose. 

Effexor is different than some antidepressants because how it acts on certain neurotransmitters is very dose-related. Per this Wiki article:

At low doses (<150 mg/day), it acts only on serotonergic transmission. At moderate doses (>150 mg/day), it acts on serotonergic and noradrenergic systems, whereas at high doses (>300 mg/day), it also affects dopaminergic neurotransmission.

So you may be reacting to the varying effects of neurotransmitter activity as you've bounced around in various doses. This is very destabilizing to the nervous system.  For more on how these drugs effect the brain:

How psychiatric drugs remodel your brain

Please add a signature.  Include drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements in the last 12-24 months. Also include supplements. This will help us give you the most accurate advice we can. 

• Any drugs and supplements prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years. 
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago) 
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016. 
  • Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses. 
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs. 
  • This is a direct link to your signature:  Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

Please use this thread to provide updates on how you're feeling as well as to ask questions.  

Welcome j2020

So glad you found sa.

I had crying spells for a very long time while in withdrawal.

Check out this list of wdl symptoms notice what number one on the list is...

Dr. Joseph Glenmullen's withdrawal symptom checklist

I  want to agree with Shep on not doing the updose.

These are not aspirins you taking. You are playing with fire if you treat them as such.

They are very potent brain altering dependence inducing chemicals that have been marketed and approved by very dubious methods. 

Doctors are pushing these drugs by uninformed consent. I guarantee that you were not told of the 2004 FDA warning that abrupt changes in dose can cause suicidal reactions.

Or that it can take many years to taper off these drugs for many people. That there are hundreds of side effects known and unknown. 

My new years wish for you is that you would stabilize and then taper safely off and then never ever go back on a psych drug ever again. And never again use the 'a' word or 'd' word in front of a doctor. And that you would find non drug approaches to any form of distress.

As requested please do your drug signature. 

nz11

[That was a great post shep I didn't know Effexor hits the dopamine neurotransmitters above 300mg]

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

• Administrator

Welcome, J2020.

Is it possible you forgot a dose or two when you were taking 150mg?

Please see Effexor adverse effects at https://www.drugs.com/pro/effexor.html

This is a site for going off drugs, how may we help you?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

J20

its a new day may I ask what dosing decisions you have decided on.

And what do think about the idea of doing a drug signature?

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017