SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

kittyduval: Lyrica Capsule Withdrawal Question

kittyduval

Hi folks. Regarding Lyrica withdrawal,  I am on 50 mg Lyrica capsules 3x a day and want to know if it is possible to open the capsules AFTER weighing them, then take out 10%, and then put the 90% back in capsules to swallow (hope that made sense). I don't do well with liquid withdrawals, so I have a very good scale, and understand the concept of using it to reduce PILLS, but can you do this same process with CAPSULES? Wasn't sure if it the med and filler are mixed evenly in the capsules or if I'd run into trouble doing it this way. 

Thank you very much.

Kitty

Edited by Shep
added username to title

Meds- 150 mg Lyrica, 4 mg Klonopin, 47 mg Trazadone (withdrawing 10% a month), Percura (amino acids, GABBA, 5 HTP)  Also taking Atenolol & Florineff to help palpitations since high school. Taking a compounded Pilocarpine spray (1 mg per spray) to help with the severe dryness that comes with Burning Mouth Syndrome. Also take Estrogen & Progesterone compounded creams. Was tapering Estrogen, but had to stop as dried tongue out too much so am holding on that for awhile.
2012-2013 Withdrew off 60 mg of Oxcycodone and it was HELL as I had no help or support. My Husband reduced it by 1.5 mg every 3 days. it was SO hard as i was also recovering from surgeries from an accident. But I did it! Rt after my last drop, developed Burning Tongue Syndrome as anxiety was so high for so long. It's never gone away. 

Supplements- 1,500mg Lysine, 600mg Alpha Lipoic Acid, B-Complex, Digestive Enzymes, Vit D 4,000mg, A, C E and Zinc Complex. Whew.

• Moderator Emeritus

HI, Kittyduval.

Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants.

Some general information about withdrawal:

What is withdrawal syndrome? 

Healing from antidepressants. Patterns of recovery video (4 minutes)

How psychiatric drugs remodel your brain

And information on tapering Lyrica:

Tips for tapering off Lyrica (pregabalin)

Before you begin tapering, what you need to know

Please read through this thread and post questions about using your scale:

Using a digital scale to measure doses

A request:  Please add dates to your signature. 

Are you interested in coming off all of your drugs or only in reducing your drug burden by coming off Lyrica? If you're interested in coming off all of them, please read through this thread, as it provides helpful information in setting up a strategy for coming out of polypharmacy:

Taking multiple psych drugs? Which drug to taper first?

Please use this thread to post updates and to ask questions. 

Hello Shep. Nice to meet you and thanks for the info. I've been following this site for awhile so have read several of your links already. I am using the scale/weight info right now to taper off Trazadone as it has given me severe dry mouth for a few years and I am just sick of it. Thank you for having the link on your site. Re: the Lyrica in capsule form,. I was just wondering if anyone out there had used the scale method with the capsules and how successful they were doing it that way since the water method doesnt work well for me. Wasn't sure who to ask if the Filler vs the Med. is even in the capsules or it's not and if you take some of it out- are you taking an even amount between filler and med.. I am reaching out to see if anyone knows anything about doing it his way. I am very familiar with tapering and how my body handles it as have done it with Oxcycodone before over a year several times as had several accidents where I needed it. Mostly just wanting to know about if you use a scale with a powder, if you are getting an even amount of powder vs med when you take some out, as Lyrica doesn't have beads in it.

Thank you and bear with me while i learn the rules/posting process here. I will re-formulate my questions and put the in the right places now that i know.

Blessings,

Kitty Duval

Meds- 150 mg Lyrica, 4 mg Klonopin, 47 mg Trazadone (withdrawing 10% a month), Percura (amino acids, GABBA, 5 HTP)  Also taking Atenolol & Florineff to help palpitations since high school. Taking a compounded Pilocarpine spray (1 mg per spray) to help with the severe dryness that comes with Burning Mouth Syndrome. Also take Estrogen & Progesterone compounded creams. Was tapering Estrogen, but had to stop as dried tongue out too much so am holding on that for awhile.
2012-2013 Withdrew off 60 mg of Oxcycodone and it was HELL as I had no help or support. My Husband reduced it by 1.5 mg every 3 days. it was SO hard as i was also recovering from surgeries from an accident. But I did it! Rt after my last drop, developed Burning Tongue Syndrome as anxiety was so high for so long. It's never gone away. 

Supplements- 1,500mg Lysine, 600mg Alpha Lipoic Acid, B-Complex, Digestive Enzymes, Vit D 4,000mg, A, C E and Zinc Complex. Whew.

Hi Kitty-- welcome to SA.  Yes the active ingredient is evenly distributed in the filler from the capsule.  You should however weigh just the powder after you take it out of the capsule. Trying to incorporate the weight of the capsule into the calculations will throw in several variables that will make the calculation a lot less accurate. It is always best to work as directly with the medication as possible.  So remove the powder from the capsule, weight the powder, calculate the weight of 90%, weigh out that amount and put it back into the capsule.  Save the left over powder in a small container because you'll get one free dose for each 9 that you make up. 

For the first ten or so doses you make up keep records of the weight of the full amount of powder in each capsule.  Use this to figure the average pill weight for the capsules. This is a good number to have for future reference. Also do the same for the measured dose weight. Knowing the average dose weight will make future calculations much more easy.  You would use the average dose weight instead of weighing each capsule individually.  So for your next reduction you would calculate 90% of the current average dose weight and use that for your new dose, and so on as you continue to taper.  Using the average dose weight as a base to work from reduces the number of calculations, reduces the chance of a calculation error and removes the tiny discrepancies in weight causes by the manufacturing of the capsules.  It also makes it easier to use the left over powder as you already know exactly how much you need to weigh out for each dose.

Long answer for a short question.

Brassmonkey

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

19 minutes ago, brassmonkey said:

Hi Kitty-- welcome to SA.  Yes the active ingredient is evenly distributed in the filler from the capsule.  You should however weigh just the powder after you take it out of the capsule. Trying to incorporate the weight of the capsule into the calculations will throw in several variables that will make the calculation a lot less accurate. It is always best to work as directly with the medication as possible.  So remove the powder from the capsule, weight the powder, calculate the weight of 90%, weigh out that amount and put it back into the capsule.  Save the left over powder in a small container because you'll get one free dose for each 9 that you make up. 

For the first ten or so doses you make up keep records of the weight of the full amount of powder in each capsule.  Use this to figure the average pill weight for the capsules. This is a good number to have for future reference. Also do the same for the measured dose weight. Knowing the average dose weight will make future calculations much more easy.  You would use the average dose weight instead of weighing each capsule individually.  So for your next reduction you would calculate 90% of the current average dose weight and use that for your new dose, and so on as you continue to taper.  Using the average dose weight as a base to work from reduces the number of calculations, reduces the chance of a calculation error and removes the tiny discrepancies in weight causes by the manufacturing of the capsules.  It also makes it easier to use the left over powder as you already know exactly how much you need to weigh out for each dose.

Brassmonkey

19 minutes ago, brassmonkey said:

Kitty

Thanks so much for your kindness and answers, Brass Monkey. I really appreciate it.

Best,

Kitty

Not sure if I am doing this right...... or if I messed my posts up...

I also wanted to add that I am homebound for 5 yrs after a bad motorcycle accident that left me with Burning Tongue Syndrome which is SUPER painful and severely hurts to talk.eat as the nerves are all messed up on my tongue, so the anxiety and pain are very high, Been to too many Drs, many treatments, and there's just no help for this being I am intolerant to most medications. I've lost a lot of weight and am developing Agoraphobia, too. My friends have all left me, marriage is on the rocks, so its very difficult. Burning Mouth (or  Tongue) Syndrome is very rare and I also have PHP Neuralgia (Shingles) on my Tongue and Glossitis sores on top of that with a very dry mouth. It's absolutely horrible. i watch movies most of the day. Ive developed Medical PTSD.  I'm on a journey to try to get off my meds and know it will take a long time. I am 60 yrs old. Chronic pain sucks.

Kitty

Hi Kitty,

I used water to dissolve the contents of the capsules and did it that way from 150mg down reducing each dose in turn by 10% although I did rush the last bit from 50mg down which I completed in about 6 weeks. As long as you have branded Lyrica is will totally dissolve. I've heard some of the generics have more filler that won't dissolve if that's the case it complicates things.

Good luck

Staz

Dosulepin 75mg 1996 - 1997 tapered off no problem - Prozac sporadic use between 1995 and 2011 usually 9 months then off.

Mirtazapine 2015 tapered off after 4 months no problem -Prozac 20mg 2012-2015 tapered off no problems

Prozac 20mg April 2016-May 2016 stopped ct after 4 weeks due to adverse reaction I believe to be serotnin toxicity due to mirtazapine interaction

Escitlopram 10 mg May 2016 - cut to 5mg May 2016  stopped ct November 2016 no W/d's noted

Lyrica 300mg May 2016 - July 2017 - Taper from Jan to Jul 17 awful taper.

Lofepramine 150mg  November 2016 - January 2017 Swift w/d as it didn't work

Quetiapine 75mg November 2016 changed to 150 XL May2017 changed to 150mg IR July 2017 reduced to in 25mg steps from July to 50mg Oct 17. 37.5mg 12th Nov 17 - 35mg 20 Nov 17 - 30mg 22 Nov 17 - 25mg 24 Nov 17 dropped to 20mg Dec 17, 15mg Jan 18. Current taken at bedtime.

Quetiapine dropped Jan 17th 2018.

Dosulepin 75mg May 2017 - increased in 25mg steps to 175mg Oct 17 Reduced to 150mg Nov 17 current taken at bedtime

Diazepam 15mg May 2016 - c/t'd by shrink after 6 weeks. Reinstated at 12mg after 4 weeks June 16 - current 4mg 3 times a day morning, 2.30pm and bedtime.

Mirtazapine 15mg since March 2015 - current - pooped out within 4 weeks

Good for you, Staz. Yes, mine is branded- just checked. Unfortunately, the water method doesn't work for me, so will have to use the "opening up capsules and weighing it with a scale method." Ugh. May I ask what you experienced with the Lyrica taper that you are still feeling?

Thx for yr reply.

Kitty

• 4 months later...

Kitty,

How are you?

Are your tongue symptoms improving at all?

Ive developed inflammation under my tongue and the roof of my mouth is very painful.  This started 3 weeks after reaching 0mg Lexapro and I have never had it before.

JC

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

Re-located to UK from Canada: Jan 2016

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

Thanks Junglechicken. Nice of you to think of me.

How am I? Well, I just had a Root Canal done and it's really painful after, so just trying to get thru that. The tooth had been hurting for a long time, but my Dentist didn't catch it and thought it was TMJ. When it's healed, I have to get another one. Gag. I take really good care of my teeth due to the Burning Mouth Syndrome, so not sure why this is happening. :(

The Root Canal set off and flared up my Tongue symptoms, so that's not been good, either. My tongue is all broken out in very sore lesions and they're very painful, so between the tongue and teeth, I have a double whammy. Just staying home and watching movies.

As to your Oral problems starting up after you finished Lexapro, I am not surprised. Mine started up after I finished tapering off Oxcycodone after a Moto. accident. I was on 60 mg and slowly tapered off. It took a year. I believe this happened because I hurried it right at the very end when I should have taken more time and maybe did the last dose for a few months or every other month. Boy did I learn the hard way. Perhaps yours is a similar situation with the Lexapro?

Currently I decided to Taper off a Medicine that I felt was drying out my tongue which i knew would take over a year- Trazadone. It's been 5 mos and so far so good, but I have not noticed any change in the severe dryness that comes with Burning Mouth Syndrome. You  might Google this Syndrome to see it is correlates with what you are experiencing. You'll find different explanations, so stick to the more Professional sites. I can totally relate, so am very sorry you are experiencing this. It sucks. Its hard to find Drs for this as it falls in-between Medical and dental. I have seen about 50 different Drs/Dentists/Orofacial Drs/Naturopaths for help- and received none. It could be from other meds, nutritional, nerve-related, trauma/stress, hormonal, and a host of other reasons. I think the nerves on my tongue are shot by now.... No fun.

I hope yours goes away soon or you can find some relief somewhere. I also hope it is not a long journey for you, as it has been for me. You are in my prayers.

Thanks again,

Kitty