Geterdone

Geterdone

Tapered valium 2.5 years ago. Had protracted withdraw after jumping from 1mg for about 1.5 years. Had a very hard time tapering and was put on trazodone to help with withdraw and treat anxiety. Was put on 100mg 3 times a day.   I was doing very well till about 2 months ago and all of a sudden trazodone stopped working. I increased dosage to 350mgs and started tapering.  I cut 25mgs every 2 weeks and now down to 275mgs but withdraw is setting in. going to cut 12 mgs and see if that is a little easier. Also I have to work during this process. if I could stay home this would be a lot  easier but working makes a big difference in what I can tolerate. 

July 4th 2016 400 mg trazodone

October 2017 375mg trazodone

2nd week October 275 mg

I fell on ice and was given cyclobenzaprine for pain and sore muscle. it took away all my trazodone withdraw. Has anyone found this to be true also?

Is cyclo   addictive?

2nd week October 275 mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Geterdone -- Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants (SA)!

I'm sorry that you're experiencing difficulties as you discontinue trazodone.  Even though you're not getting the "therapeutic" effect of the drug you should still be very cautious about reducing the dosage. We usually suggest that people decrease by no more than 10% per month, which in your case would have been 35 mg.  You may have discovered that your 25 mg/week decrease is too much, too fast for you.  Here are a few links that give helpful analogies and descriptions about taking this slowly:

How your brain responds to psychiatric drugs - aka "Brain remodeling"

Youtube video, 4 minutes: Healing from antidepressants

You will probably do better to hold at your current dose and let yourself stabilize. Decreasing again is more likely to worsen the situation not improve it.

Here's some information relevant to your situation

Tips for tapering off trazodone (Desyrel)

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?.

A request: Would you summarize your history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly?

• Any drugs prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years.
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago)
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016.
  • Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses.
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs.
  • Link to Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

I hope you'll find the information in the SA forums helpful for your situation. I'm sorry that you are in the position that you need the information, but am glad that you found us.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

• ChessieCat changed the title to Geterdone
  • 1 year later...

I have been trying to taper trazodone for many months with no success. have been on 350mgs for 5 years.. decreased up and down then when I went back up to 350 my doctor put me on viibrd 20mg. I was told to taper the trazodone by 50 mg per week. I got to the end and got such bad insomnia and withdraw that I just stopped, Its been almost 3 weeks last dose was the 9th of January. I,m pretty messes up. Any ideas what to do. My doctor is clueless. wants me to wait it out.

2nd week October 275 mg

• Administrator

Hello, Geter. What happened when you tapered trazodone by 10%, as described in Tips for tapering off trazodone (Desyrel)

Are you still taking Viibryd? What effect does it have on you? Please update your signature with the Viibryd information.

Why do you continue to see this doctor?

If I were you, I'd immediately reinstate 25mg trazodone (half a 50mg tablet) and see if that helps. Please let us know how you're doing.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.