☼ Pluto: 1 year off Lexapro, 3 years off Xanax

Pluto

Hi Pluto!

I am new here:) Just seeing your accomplishment, almost 4 years off AD, I am so encouraged🙋🏻‍♀️ All the healing your brain did during that time! 

🎉Just stuck it out! You are sooo capable of it. I am cheering for you. 🎊

July 19th 2017—July 2018: 10 mg Escitalopram

August 2018— June 2020: 5 mg Escitalopram

Tapering started: June 2020—1st of August. Lowest dose was 5 mg (5 mg every second day for a couple of weeks, then 5 mg twice a week for a couple of weeks, and lastly 5 mg once a week until I stopped)

Drug free: August 1st, 2020

Supplements: Magnesium citrate 2x200 mg and Omega3 – 2x1000 mg.

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, Pluto said:

Just an update. 

I stopped breastfeeding more than a month ago and two weeks ago, I started experiencing anxiety and depression. I’m currently getting one to two anxiety attacks a day since it started. 

Once again, I am wondering if I should hold on like last time or just take antidepressants again. But, seeing the effort I have put to quitting I will rather stick it out. 

wish me luck. x 

Hello Pluto, it is your decision to make, but I would like to suggest that you stay away from antidepressants and psych meds, if possible.  I have been struggling to get off of Lexapro for over 3 years.  I was off and on antidepressants.  The first 2 times I got off antidepressants was not too hard.  But, this time, and it has been very difficult.  It is my understanding that the more we go on and off these meds, the harder it is on our brains.  There are other ways to deal with depression and anxiety besides drugs.  I myself am learning some coping skills that I never learned growing up in how to deal with depression and anxiety.  It is a lot more work, but it is very worth it, in my opinion.  

Jennifer

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly 

1 hour ago, getofflex said:

Hello Pluto, it is your decision to make, but I would like to suggest that you stay away from antidepressants and psych meds, if possible.  I have been struggling to get off of Lexapro for over 3 years.  I was off and on antidepressants.  The first 2 times I got off antidepressants was not too hard.  But, this time, and it has been very difficult.  It is my understanding that the more we go on and off these meds, the harder it is on our brains.  There are other ways to deal with depression and anxiety besides drugs.  I myself am learning some coping skills that I never learned growing up in how to deal with depression and anxiety.  It is a lot more work, but it is very worth it, in my opinion.  

Jennifer

Oh, I hear you. I am trying my best not to go back. It just crosses my mind at times like these, and I wonder if I’m suffering unnecessarily or something. 

Your comment was exactly the validation I needed.  Thank you. 👍

Started Xanax and Escitalopram (Lexapro) - 2008 May

Stopped Xanax in 2014 Oct

Started Seroquel and Neurontin in 2014 Oct (Weight gain 20kgs in 6 months)

Stopped Seroquel and Neurontin 2015 June

Stopped Escitalopram (Lexapro) 2016 Dec

Taking: Magnesium,  Evening Primrose, Vitamin C, Iron Fumarate (Chronic anemia), Levothyroxine, Triiodothyronine.

Year 1 was tough. Year 2 I started seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. Year 3 was good. 

5 years drug free on December 25, 2021.  

2 hours ago, Kingfisher86 said:

Hi Pluto!

I am new here:) Just seeing your accomplishment, almost 4 years off AD, I am so encouraged🙋🏻‍♀️ All the healing your brain did during that time! 

Thank you so much. I need all the cheering and strength I can get. 😊

Taking: Magnesium,  Evening Primrose, Vitamin C, Iron Fumarate (Chronic anemia), Levothyroxine, Triiodothyronine.

Year 1 was tough. Year 2 I started seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. Year 3 was good. 

• 3 months later...
  • Mentor

Ehi @Plutone, how are you now? I hope you feel better and you can enjoy maternity!🙏

July 2015: the 20mg citalopram for great stress begins

After two years I start tapering (slow but without medical advice) and I guess wrongly. First up to 10 mg, then 5 mg and 2 mg (liquid solution) and skips

January 2020 (I don't remember exactly the day): off citalopram (last dose 2mg).

June 2020: adrenal crash. The beginning of Hell on Earth

Current supplement:

- saffron pill (20 mg) + vit. E, omega 3 (EPA + DHA) 2g, magnesium bisglycinate 300 mg, iron , vitamin D3 (2500ui) +K7 (50 ui), vitamin C (1g) + quercitin (25 mg), theanine (as necessary).

Try meditating / mindfulness, walking every day, CBT/ACT, massage.

"E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle" ("And so we went out to see the stars again")

(Dante Alighieri, Divine Comedy , Inferno, XXXIV, 139)

• 3 months later...
On 10/12/2020 at 2:30 PM, Kingfisher86 said:

Hi Pluto!

Thank you. 

Yeah, I am still at it. I must say, the dips are far apart and not as deep but they still happen. I think that at this point, it is probably no longer withdrawals, but who knows. I hope you're well too. 

On 2/6/2021 at 4:35 PM, Leila said:

Ehi @Plutone, how are you now? I hope you feel better and you can enjoy maternity!🙏

Hi there,

I am much much better. Thank you. 

I hope you are well too. x

• 6 months later...

I just came by to say Happy New Year to everyone. 

I am finally clear of side effects. It took years but it happened finally. I just wanted to be one of those who are testament that it can be done. It is tough but it can be done. 

All the best to this community without which, I wouldn't have had the support I needed. It was people on here who made me see that it can be done. ❤️

On 1/2/2022 at 5:51 AM, Pluto said:

@Pluto

Thank you for coming back and letting us know you've recovered. It means so much to us in the thick of things. I hold on to the fact that other people were able to fight multi year battles and I can too!

I just came by to say Happy New Year to everyone. 

I am finally clear of side effects. It took years but it happened finally. I just wanted to be one of those who are testament that it can be done. It is tough but it can be done. 

All the best to this community without which, I wouldn't have had the support I needed. It was people on here who made me see that it can be done. ❤️

Pristiq 25 mg - Oct 9 2021

Pristiq 25 mg - Oct 8 2021

Pristiq 25 mg - Oct 7 2021

Pristiq 25 mg - Oct 6 2021 

• 1 year later...

Hey @Pluto😊 how are you doing now?

01/2017-12/2022 ~6 Years on Generic Escilitopram (5mg-20mg) because of repetitive panic attacks and anxiety that lead to depression. My tapering was not tapering as I read here. I consider it CT because of wrong directions of docs, I went from 20mg to 5mg in a short amount of time and then jumped to 0mg.

•01/07/23 Took maca root powder for pssd for 4 days only which I think worsened my symptoms a lot.(Not sure if that was the cause or what came was supposed to come)
•15/07/23-01/08/23 Prebagalin) 2x50mg

01/08/23 - 05/08/23.  75x50mg

06/08/23 - 18/08/23 2x75mg an then reduced 19/09/23 - 23-09 to 75x50mg 

24/09/23 - 1/12/23 2x50mg.

1/12/22- ongoing  2x45mg( on first week of December happened a mistake in liquid I made and took 4  times double dose  )

15/01/24 -  ongoing occasional 5mg  diazepam for anxiety.