FarmGirlWorks

Meet-Up Group in Seattle WA for SSRI Withdrawal

FarmGirlWorks

I started a MeetUp Group today to support folks in the Seattle-area who are in the process or have withdrawn from antidepressants, SSRIs. I have made it clear in the group that I am NOT a medical expert, no medical advice to be dispensed, and medical professionals are not welcome (safe space). I found great support from the folks I met in real life who have survived this path. I want to pay it forward.

If there are any issues, please let me know! I do this in the utmost gratefulness and respect for AltoStrata's creation and the moderators' diligence.

wantrelief

Hi FGW - I just confirmed that I will be there.  Thank you so much for setting this up!

Kristine

If I could leave my bed for more than 5min I'd be on a plane!  Well done for setting it up fgw 🙂 K

FarmGirlWorks
1 hour ago, wantrelief said:

Hi FGW - I just confirmed that I will be there.  Thank you so much for setting this up!

Awesome -- I look forward to meeting you in real life.

wantrelief

Me too! :)

FarmGirlWorks
19 minutes ago, wantrelief said:

Me too! :)

Great! See you then.

Rosetta

Good for you!  Be careful, but if you can stay safe and lead a meet-up group, more power to you!!!

FarmGirlWorks

Thanks, Rosetta. Days like today make me question my ability to lead a group but I know how incredibly valable it was for me to meet folks in real life. I wish you could come.

manymoretodays
Posted (edited)

That's great!

Have you seen this post, as far as how Alto herself did it, a few years back.  It's a little ways down in the thread.   Towards the end of page one.  April 2016 post recounts the experiences had in 2006 with such a group.   Certainly worth a read :

http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/6631-peer-support-groups/

I'd be there too if Emu's could only fly.....B)  Sending good wishes and vibes.

mmt

Edited by manymoretodays
elaboration!

FarmGirlWorks

Oh wow, MMT: that was an invaluable link, Alto's comments "in retrospect." I am glad this site exists as I will refer anyone who wants specific help to it. I also loved the comments about AA. I did AA for a few months right after I stopped drinking (and WD started hitting hard). Oskcajga said this and I completely agree:

"And then there's the alcoholics, who can go from drinking like a barrel of wine every night for 30 years and fully recover within 6-12 months. Meanwhile, here I am taking 20mg of cymbalta for 5 months, completely brain dead, so badly depersonalized and nerve damaged that I have been disabled for over 2 years with no end in sight.So by being responsible patients, we've ended up in worse condition than hardcore homeless heroin junkies."

Yes. My sponsor was nice and all but she was on some SSRI and just, understandably, wanting to talk about alcoholism instead of what I felt was more significant  WD symptoms. It was too weird and incredibly unhelpful.

Thanks!

Altostrata

How's it going, FarmGirl?

FarmGirlWorks

There have been two meetings so far, different folks each time. I get the sense that just meeting people in person who are also in WD and can commiserate is the main draw. The first meeting was 8 people that included those in the midst of WD and a couple that were out of it but had tips and resources (see below) that I compiled (the first one is horrifying). The second meeting was 4 people and was great, more intimate and everyone was articulate about their experience and was in the midst of WD. Mainly, I've found it helpful each time. At the first meeting, someone said that eating a lot of protein within 30 minutes of waking to stabilize blood sugar helped him, and I started that and have found it to work for me too.

There are 37 folks in the group though! I only had to ban one medical professional who wanted to come in -- I am committed to it being a safe space.

We'll see how it goes in the next few months. I am committed to it thru June. Thanks for asking. Does this seem similar to your group experience?

Kelly

PROPUBLICA.ORG ---“ DOLLARS 4 DOCS” https://projects.propublica.org/docdollars/

ANATOMY OF AN EPIDEMIC” by ROBERT WHITAKER

MAD IN AMERICA.COM

THEINNERCOMPASS.ORG (LAURA DELANO)

MADNESSRADIO.NET (PACIFICA NETWORK)

HARM REDUCTION GUIDE TO COMING OFF PSYCH DRUGS” BY WILL HALL

BEYONDMEDS.COM

SURVIVINGANTIDEPRESSANTS.ORG

“A MIND OF YOUR OWN,” BY DR KELLY BROGAN

GETTING DOCTORED

WHFOODS.COM – good nutritional advice and tips

MINDFREEDOM.ORG

HEARING-VOICES.ORG

RealMe
On 1/3/2018 at 8:05 PM, wantrelief said:

What a great idea.  Wish there was a group near Huntington, NY.  Let us know how it goes.

FarmGirlWorks

See the update above your kind comment.

InvisibleUnless
Posted (edited)

mad support.  if im ever up in washington in the near future, i may try to drop in.

as a side note, i superload protein (mostly seafoods, also beef, some goat and lamb).  if i dont have a fatty protein-heavy diet, i undergo serious muscle catabolism and also experience worse withdrawal symptoms.

i have my suspicions still about adipose tissue breakdown and some of my symptoms, but have not written to the RxISK people about it yet--they do mention an ongoing interest and i want to ask them what sort of data they have so far.

it is great that you are dedicated to keeping the group a safe space.  if people want to branch out and have an integrated meet sometimes, as part of a different program, they are welcome to it, but it is important to have a place where people can be safe and understood.

Edited by ChessieCat

ChessieCat
Posted (edited)

Please stay on topic.

Edited by ChessieCat

YammySteph

This is great! I’m actually in Yakima and I hope to RSVP some time in the future! 

FarmGirlWorks

Thanks, YammySteph. It'd be great to meet you.

FarmGirlWorks

Yes, the last couple meetings only one other person, WantRelief who is now a "real-life" friend, came. Sigh. I asked for feedback from the group (there were almost 50 at the end) for ways to tweak to increase attendance (different night, time, format, etc) but there was not a response so I stopped it. I feel kinda badly about ending it but it was taking up time and money for very little participation.

Altostrata

I don't believe that's uncommon for Meetups. Lots of interest but it's difficult for people to actually attend.

Good to hear you made a friend! You might ask the Meetup folks to send their e-mail addresses if they want to stay in touch with you, and e-mail them once in a while to see if anyone else wants to get together.

From my experience, I think a lecture format might be a better way to reach people. Give periodic presentations about tapering, take e-mail addresses, and form a group out of that to lobby and educate local mental health organizations.

FarmGirlWorks
32 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

From my experience, I think a lecture format might be a better way to reach people. Give periodic presentations about tapering, take e-mail addresses, and form a group out of that to lobby and educate local mental health organizations.

Great ideas... will at least ask for emails and contact folks in the fall when the dark days hit.