Jonathan13: Reinstated original dose?

Jonathan13

Weaning off Zoloft (100mg) on 50mg now, took me about 5 weeks tp get down without much issue. Anyway after a violent altercation with a family member i took my original 100mg just for that day to see if the rage i felt was withdrawal induced or not. I then continued on 50mg the following days, haven't felt much different maybe a bit more depressed. So would any problems arise if I reinstated my original dose on just that occasion? Can I continue my taper despite reinstating 100mg dosage?

Edited by scallywag
add tags and username to topic title
  • Moderator Emeritus

Jonathan -- Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants (SA)! I've moved your post and topic to the Introductions Forum so that more people will see your question.

Changing dose for 1 day *might* have an effect but it's not likely given that you've been taking sertraline for a while.  When did you start taking Zoloft?

About your taper: You may be in for some difficulty -- a 50% reduction in 5 weeks is too fast for many people.  We suggest that people decrease by no more than 10% per month!  Here are some discussion topics about that:

Before you begin tapering -- what you need to know.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?.

How your brain responds to psychiatric drugs - aka "Brain remodeling"

Also a topic specifically about Zoloft: Tips for tapering off Zoloft (sertraline)

I hope you'll read those topics and carefully consider holding steady at 50 mg for at least a month to give your CNS (central nervous system) a chance to catch up to the dose.

If you're going to post regularly on the site, please take a few minutes to create a signature that appears below each of your posts. Summarize your history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly.

• Any drugs prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years.
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago)
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016.
  • Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses.
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs.
  • Link to Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

This is YOUR introduction topic -- the place for you to ask questions, record symptoms, share your progress, and connect with other members of the SA community.  I hope you'll find the information in the SA forums helpful for your situation. I'm sorry that you are in the position that you need the information, but am glad that you found us.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

• 2 months later...

Tapered off luvox in four months, stopped completely exactly 21 days ago. Ever since coming off I've noticed this very restless feeling especially in the legs such as, constantly moving them while sitting, tingling sensation, and body twitching while falling asleep. Could this be a mild form of akathisia or RLS? Don't want to schedule an appointment with a psychiatrist since they all have this very condescending, "it's all in your head" sort of attitude about any complaints. Thanks

• ChessieCat changed the title to Jonathan13: Reinstated original dose?
  • Moderator Emeritus

Here's SA's discussion about this:  akathisia-vs-restlessness-anxiety-agitation

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 3 weeks later...

Ever since i came off luvox I've noticed my muscles (face, arms, legs etc.) randomly twitch. I also have myoclonic jerks that wake up when im falling asleep more often than not. What could this be due to? Is it too early to be dyskinesia, since it's almost always due to anti psychotics(which ive never taken)? I've also noticed a mild restless feeling.

• Moderator Emeritus

If you use google and type in survivingantidepressants.org jerk it will bring up some topics and also posts where members have mentioned their experiences.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 4 weeks later...

Tapered off luvox in 4 months after being on ssri's for about 3 years. Anyways, after coming off it i started noticing decreases in libido and loss of morning wood. The irony is that i didn't have sexual dysfunction ON the ssri's just now that im off them, seems like a switch has been flipped. Is this PSSD or still a withdrawal symptom? Stopped luvox 2 months ago and hasnt improved.

My sexual dysfunction started while I was taking the SSRI and has persisted since then, but that isn’t the case for everyone. For some, the sexual issues only present themselves once you come off the drug. You’ve only been off for 2 months though so there’s a lot of hope for you. I’ve been off 20 months and I still have PSSD

Zoloft 50 mg from April 23, 2015 to August 28th, 2016 (1 year, 4 months).

4 week taper. Last dose on August 28, 2016

Mianserin 30 mg in an attempt to reverse PSSD from September 6th, 2017–around mid November 2017 after a few week taper. Did not fix PSSD

Currently taking: Melatonin and magnesium every night.

• Moderator Emeritus
18 hours ago, Jonathan13 said:

Tapered off luvox in 4 months after being on ssri's for about 3 years. Anyways, after coming off it i started noticing decreases in libido and loss of morning wood. The irony is that i didn't have sexual dysfunction ON the ssri's just now that im off them, seems like a switch has been flipped. Is this PSSD or still a withdrawal symptom? Stopped luvox 2 months ago and hasnt improved.

Hi Jonathan - I've added your question onto your introduction topic. 

I'm a bit confused, as you've mentioned Zoloft and Luvox.  It would be very helpful if you could create a signature showing your med history, including doses and dates.  See this link for more information about creating a signature:  please put your withdrawal history in your signature

Are you currently experiencing any other withdrawal symptoms?

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2004-2008  paroxetine (various failed tapers) 
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct 15mg … slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg
2019  15 Mar 3.6mg  21 May 3.4mg  26 Dec 3.2mg 

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

2021   29 Aug 2.4mg   15 Nov 2.3mg

Jonathan; would be great if you could report your PSSD to Rxisk. They are collecting reports of PSSD to try and get the medical establishment to acknowledge it exists.  Reports are treated confidentially.

Here is the link.

https://rxisk.org/report-a-drug-side-effect-2/

Last took an SSRI January 2009.

Last took a benzodiazepine May 2015.

Free from all prescription medication since May 2015.

Everything has mostly healed apart from PSSD which is still very bad, and is my most distressing symptom. Also i have developed some allergy problems/ sensitivities to things in the environment which i believe was possibly caused by the prescription medications (SSRI's and benzos).