Rabe

Rabe: how to taper and adjust Viibryd while on Clonazepam

Rabe

Has anyone ever heard of salt issues...being sensitive to salt?

Rabe

Today I got up and going to my daughters.  She had said to me that even in the bad times things were not like this unless it was a drug or something I was reacting to and she had texted she wondered what had changed recently...within month or so.  I looked back in my notes and I had started adding salt to water and salt to my food and eating some chips and popcorn with salt to keep my sodium up as well as the potassium.

In the past I have not done well with salt .... ended up in ER once with a sky high BP after a few days of pork and sauerkraut.  Have reacted to IV's with sodium after births and my accident...and along way had problems related to salt, leg selling, sweat tests all screwy.  I also had a panic episode yesterday that was exactly like as child and teen....was  eerie to recall it so well.

In any case I did none of the added salt today and it has been a better day.  The puffiness is better, I feel better.  Maybe it has nothing to do with it but I dont think so.  

I texted my therapist and asked her if she had heard of such a thing as salt sensitivity and she sad yes.  I was surprised.  

I truly think some people can have a problem with their electrolyte channels and for whatever reason things are out of order...I do wonder if some of the anxiety and other issues before meds are caused by this.  Yes the med helped me, but underneath the inflammation was still going on as evidenced by the legs burning, the swelling, the times of wheezing, the small vessel disease which my son also has.  I didnt notice it to the degree I did as I got older...just got worse and now as meds go down it is worse again..and the Viibryd does not seem to help that part anyway.

I just wanted to post this for others who may have some issues along this line.

In any case I am grateful for it all...hoping there are answers to that part.  Going to get some food.  Love and hugs to all. 💜

neroli

Hello dear Rabe

It wold be absolutely wonderful if the salt was giving you adverse effects and that cutting it down/out would help you.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed, my PF.

Neroli 💜

Benzhelp

Hi Rabe,

Sorry to hear about salt intolerances. With drugs and withdrawal from tapering, definitely we can get intolerances to many things. I can relate. Perhaps it is the type of salt that is problematic? I found swtching from table salt to sea salts helped with electrolytes and felt healthier for me, of course I cannot say if this might help for others. Take gentle care <3 Healing, Blessings and Love <3

Rabe

Last night I was crampy and headache...so cant cut it out entirely...jsut going to have to futz until can find a good balance as did with the potassium....I hope so in any case.  Overall I think I am better without so much of it...well the little that I was adding.  Thank you @neroli and @Benzhelp for your thoughts and support!  Hugs to you! 💜

Rosetta

I hope you rest well tonight, Rabe. -Rosetta

manymoretodays
Posted (edited)
On 6/12/2019 at 6:17 PM, Rabe said:

Today I got up and going to my daughters.  She had said to me that even in the bad times things were not like this unless it was a drug or something I was reacting to and she had texted she wondered what had changed recently...within month or so.  I looked back in my notes and I had started adding salt to water and salt to my food and eating some chips and popcorn with salt to keep my sodium up as well as the potassium.

In the past I have not done well with salt .... ended up in ER once with a sky high BP after a few days of pork and sauerkraut.  Have reacted to IV's with sodium after births and my accident...and along way had problems related to salt, leg selling, sweat tests all screwy.  I also had a panic episode yesterday that was exactly like as child and teen....was  eerie to recall it so well.

Hi Rabe,

Yes, this is eerie. 

I found this basic article, you can switch to professional version too:  Hyponatremia(Low Level of Sodium)

When did you have a head injury?  You mention that sometimes in your narratives.  And often the symptoms are related to brain dysfunction, which might have come about from a head injury.

Are you having the symptoms associated with low sodium when you decide to add salt or eat salt containing things?

The symptoms are in the article.

You are not taking any additional medications are you?  Just checking.

Sounds like you do better with a low Na+ diet overall.  From your notes and narratives.

And again, as we are just peer counselors, this might be an issue that you need to get input on from a doctor.  Perhaps your therapist knows of one who might be a good fit for you now?  I'm not certain that your salt sensitivity, is all related to medications or WD.  As you are now linking it to childhood too.  I don't know Rabe.

Tapering plans in the meantime?  I see a suggest from Shep on your benzo, that you might try.  Or it may be time to proceed with that next drop in Viibryd to 8.5 mg. 

Glad you had some better time, overall.

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

And edited to add in Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

" You may also get anxious or depressed about having odd symptoms because you have beliefs that add to your distress, such as a feeling of helplessness or being a failure. Or, you may feel strong emotions as the drugs no longer mask underlying emotional pain. "

You HAVE been making some great headway with some of your emotional distress Rabe.  That is no small feat.  And maybe you will find some additional practices to add to what you already do, with your therapist, and on your own.

(I'm going to be scarcer for about a week or so here, as my Mum is having some issues.  Just thought I'd let you know)

And ((((Rabe)))))

Edited by manymoretodays
additional comment, link, quote, added

Carmie

Hi Rabe, 

Thanks for popping over to my thread. I hope you’re coping okay.💚

Rosetta

You are feeling a little bit better?  I read that on the benzo forum.  I'm very happy to see that.  I think.of you every day. (((Rabe))))

Rosetta

neroli

Hello dear Rabe

I am hoping you are feeling a little better as the above posts suggests.  It would be lovely to hear that you have settled somewhat.  I will keep my thoughts going in that direction for your.

You are truly a brave and kind woman, Rabe

love to you

Neroli 💜

Rabe

@neroli @Rosetta Thank you.  

My son and his kids are coming from New York in July and my other son is coming from DC and we all would be together ... been years.  I haven't even seen my newest grand daughter from NY.😥 Makes me sad to think that I may never get there again.  I  am hoping to be able to be well enough to be with everyone so much.  This week has been not good...juset never know from minute to minute and day to day.

My doctor who I went to to ask for a potassium supplement instead of the coconut water and milk because they just are too much.  The coconut water irritates my system.  She wanted to put me on the behavioral unit for an eating disorder!!  She pointed to my bottles of water and coconut water and said THAT isn't normal.  😳  Well the kidney DR is the one who said to do it! I was so shaken that I was teary and just sunk into the chair.  I thought maybe she is right and I was going to go....instead I will not be seeing her again and will try to get a supplement and try it.  The coconut water irritates my bladder  and then I just lose more potassium I think.  I am SO done with these doctors.  Then the therapist was going to get me names of dietician and a doctor to help with sensitivities etc....nevr did and posed posed that last session.  

I continue to struggle to find food to eat that doesnt make me feel worse.  Sometimes I think getting the Clonazepam dosing better might help settle things cause from later afternoon til bed it is pretty awful....but better than the whole day as some are.

But then are days when wonder if the Viibryd makes the spike in anxiety.  Then I remember i had that spike in treatment before the Viibryd and the other doctor said it was WD.  So IDK.

Just a bit lost and sad about my family and the loss of the life I had and my family.  We used to be so close and this has put up a wall.  

Love and hugs to you all!💜

neroli
10 minutes ago, Rabe said:

Just a bit lost and sad about my family and the loss of the life I had and my family.

This is so sad for you, dear Rabe.  I know what you mean about the loss of the life one had.

I'm really hoping that things will start to improve bit by bit for you.

Lovely to hear that you will be seeing your sons and granddaughter.   :)

lots of love to you, keep on keeping on......there are lots of us here with you

Neroli 💜

Rabe
On 6/14/2019 at 9:36 AM, manymoretodays said:

When did you have a head injury? 

Thank you for the article MMT.  I had the head injury  after a fall and before my hand surgery and some procedures after which I look back and was not myself at all...manic which is when I decided to sell my home and give my dog away.  Still so sad!!  My head was a mess from the injuries and surgery and pain meds and procedure meds and environmental toxins.  IDK>

I have the low sodium symptoms on and off...dont think the meds help.  I have had sodium issues for a long time as you said.  Not directly related to meds but the stress upends things it what happens. I become salt sensitive and things go haywire with elytes until my system settles... but in general have problems when I eat it...but have to eat some .... hard to know what is going on ... potassium?  Sodium?  Been pretty good lately. YAY!  The warm weather is hard cause things get thrown off easily.  They think the many kidney infections are the root...who knows.

No newmeds though I am thinking about a bite of a Claritin now and then because of my food issues.

Yes...the afternoon and evening anxiety are getting hard to manage.....so IDK if is V or the CL.  I will do a change in one after my kids come and leave in early July.  Want to try to be with them. 

Take care...hope things are going ok for you MMT.💜

Rabe
1 minute ago, neroli said:

Lovely to hear that you will be seeing your sons and granddaughter.   :)

Oh Neroli....thank you!  I am so hoping to see them...but I never know...and I dont want to go if I am having one of my crazy days when I am pacing or just not good...not good for the kids ... any of them.  No one needs that.

How are you?  I hope some better?

Gridley

Rabe, thanks for your kind wishes.  Cold is mending slowly but surely.

Rosetta

(Rabe) I hope everything goes well with your kids.  Holding you in my thoughts. -R