SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Neurofeedback, brain mapping, and neurostimulation

enufodat

ADMIN NOTE Also see

Brain scans -- fMRI, QEEG, PET, or SPECT -- for psychiatric problems

Alpha-Stim, Fisher Wallace Sota Biotuner, PoNS, & similar "brain stimulation" devices

Also use search in the Symptoms and Self-Care forum

Any thoughts or experiences with neurofeedback out there? I tried it several years ago without results. But, although the clinic was run by a faculty at Brown Med School, the technician did not exactly inspire confidence, so I've always wondered if that was the problem. (I also met with another practitioner who inspired even less confidence; she could not answer questions about the technology and how it worked, and then was upset when I would not pay her for the consult. In these fringe areas there are always, it seems, a lot of fringe people.)

But I've remained curious about it, and yesterday noticed that David Healey has been a co-author on three recent papers. In the second listed here there was little effect on mood, but the trial was done with non-depressed patients. In the third it was done with depressed patients and there was significant effect. Small trial, inconclusive, but they clearly think it holds promise and are recommending further research. There has been other research, but the quality did not seem very high to me--it's been a few years, can't recall exactly why.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1053811909008465

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1053811909008465

http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0038115

Edited by Altostrata
added admin note

1994-2009 50-100 mg Zoloft (plus tried Effexor, Lexapro, Wellbutrin at times)
5/'09-7/'09 taper off Zoloft
7/'09-12/'09 no zoloft, rough times after ~ 2 mos.
1/'10-6/'10 50 mg zoloft
6/'10-1/'11 slow taper
2/'11-7/'11 off entirely, ok for 2-3 mos., then rough
7/'11-9/'11 50 mg
9/15/'11 - 11/15/'11 taper off
11/15/'11 - 2/'11 clean, doing well but with some PSSD
2/'11 - 6/'11 depression creeps back, fairly significant by May.

6/'14 (long time...!)  life is good, full recovery, at least in terms of SSRI addiction.  Still digging out from the social and professional hole that it all left me in, but despite the loss of far too many years to this business I'm basically doing pretty well.  Still some depression at times, even severe on occasion, but clearly related to past trauma and current circumstances, all things that I am continuing to work through and work on.  I'd say it took at least six months and perhaps a year to fully get back to normal (neuro-psychologically and sexually) after the last dose in 2011.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Altostrata

• TroubledThoughts

• Skyler

• JanCarol

• Moderator Emeritus

But, although the clinic was run by a faculty at Brown Med School, the technician did not exactly inspire confidence, so I've always wondered if that was the problem.

Having lived in Brown U's backyard for all my life, and having had friends in their med school over the years, the fact it was they who are involved does not inspire confidence. Don't forget where Listening to Prozac came from. They network with the Butler Hospital Campus.. not impressive for MI stuff.

But I've remained curious about it, and yesterday noticed that David Healey has been a co-author on three recent papers. In the second listed here there was little effect on mood, but the trial was done with non-depressed patients. In the third it was done with depressed patients and there was significant effect

I can't help but think there is a big placebo effect here. I had Neurofeedback 20 yrs. ago for a different problem and found it did nothing. I don't think there is anything that will significantly help withdrawal other than time. Sure wish I did though...

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

• Moderator Emeritus

I'd love a placebo effect if it meant I slept

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

• Moderator Emeritus

I'd love a placebo effect if it meant I slept

I could go for that, but as far as I know, biofeedback is not used for sleep?

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

What's difference between biofeedback and neurofeedback and NFT? I've done biofeedback.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• Moderator Emeritus

What's difference between biofeedback and neurofeedback and NFT? I've done biofeedback.

I just Googled it.. said neurofeedback is a sub type of biofeedback. Got caught on that too. Neurofeedback uses brain imaging as an adjucnt.. My link

Edit.. the link is fixed. When I clicked on it, it took me back to the editor for the post. Oh well, that was a first!

Link didnt link

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• Moderator Emeritus

Link didnt link

Fixed

I'm a fan of neurofeedback...and don't think it's simply placebo...

I have a doctor/friend/fan who is one of the leaders in neurofeedback and so have had an inside connection.

I did neurofeedback quite a lot before I got uber sick and found it very helpful...it didn't protect me from withdrawal syndrome but that's a whole other situation...

I did write about it some in the early life of the blog...not sure any of it is worth reading but if you're interested you can do a search for neurofeedback in the search box on the blog.

I do someday intend to get back to it.

Everything Matters: Beyond Meds 

https://beyondmeds.com/

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Gia

Did it help you sleep? That's my key question

Cheers

Sharon

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

Hi Gia

Did it help you sleep? That's my key question

I don't remember and frankly, it's not a cure-all...and if you're dealing with withdrawal syndrome it may or may not be appropriate...we really are all very different.

I personally would not waste my money on it in my current condition...I think people have to have a measure of health to begin with for it to be helpful...I currently don't have that measure of health.

my doctor at one time did comment on this issue and I shared about it here: http://beyondmeds.com/2010/06/10/this-is-a-brain-injury-situation/

even though that was two years ago and I've seen much improvement, sadly I still have far too much chaos in my brain to consider neurofeedback even now.

I don't know enough about your particular condition to have any sense of whether it would be appropriate for you at this time.

I can say that it's very likely not to cause any harm and if you think it might be helpful one might just give it a shot if they can afford it.

Everything Matters: Beyond Meds 

https://beyondmeds.com/

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the info

even though that was two years ago and I've seen much improvement, sadly I still have far too much chaos in my brain to consider neurofeedback even now.

I feel like I have far too much chaos and variation just throughout the day for therapy to be of benefit or 'stick'. The mornings are pure irrational dread with inability to see ANY future and afternoons a bit lighter. Unlike anything ive experienced prior to or on SS/NRI (still on traz and benzo). Therapy in the morning would be a completely different person than later in day. It may not present as a classic "altered state" like being drunk or high from MJ, but I feel LESS awareness or conscious control than with alcohol, for example.

Hope that makes sense. It's morning. :o

• 5 months later...

Has anyone tried, or had any success, with neurofeedback?

B

-300 mg Wellbutrin 2002-2005 (withdrew cold turkey with only mild complications)

-150 mg Wellbutrin, 10 mg Celexa 2006-2010

-Discontinued both cold turkey Jan 1 2011

-Unsuccessfully reinstated Celexa March 2011, but stuck with it until Jan 2012.

-Remeron 7.5 since Jan 2013---only thing that puts a dent in perpetual headache and "akathisia"

6.5 mg Lamictal since Dec 2012

• Administrator

Binx, I merged your post with this existing topic in our Symptoms and Self-Care forum.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thanks---I did a search for "neurofeedback" but didn't get any results.

B

-300 mg Wellbutrin 2002-2005 (withdrew cold turkey with only mild complications)

-150 mg Wellbutrin, 10 mg Celexa 2006-2010

-Discontinued both cold turkey Jan 1 2011

-Unsuccessfully reinstated Celexa March 2011, but stuck with it until Jan 2012.

-Remeron 7.5 since Jan 2013---only thing that puts a dent in perpetual headache and "akathisia"

6.5 mg Lamictal since Dec 2012

• Administrator

The search function is not the greatest. Sometimes it takes a couple of tries.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• 1 year later...

Just wondered if anyone had any experience with this? They tried it once on me early in my WD, and it was not a great experience. I could not cry for days, when days prior my visit and even on the way there I was weepy, which was not all bad because I hadn't cried in years. Also, I was less able to express irritability. It was there, but now stuffed down down down somewhere I could not acess or get too. My sleep did improve. I did not go back for more after the one visit. I have read it has no negative side effects, but clearly it does, depending on the person. I had to do some hard research, but there are many with bad experiences. Maybe it was my practitioner? The frightening thing, is once you do so many sessions, it's permanent, besides "tune-ups". Concerning.

Maybe I'm silly for thinking there could be some magic bullet to speed up this process. I believe her name is Monica, who started Beyondmeds did it with great success. (If that's not her name, forgive me, not operating with full cognitive faculties these days)

Anyone have any input/experinces?

2005-Zoloft bad reaction.....2006-Lexepro......2012-Upped Lexepro.......2013-Upped Lexepro......2/2014- Attempted Taper Lexepro...2/2014- Updosed Lexepro.......3/2014-Ativan.....5/2014- CT switch from Lexpro to Effexor.....

5/2014-7/2014-Tapered Ativan from 1mg to .25mg.....6/2014-Bad reaction to Effexor........7/2014- Rapid taper Effexor every other day......7/5/2014- Off Effexor.......7/2014-12/2014 - Ativan .25mg.......12/25/2014 -Taper Ativan by 4% due to paradoxical reaction .24mg...11/18/2015-Taper Ativan 1% CURRENTLY ON: .2376mg Ativan taken in 6 .0396mg doses.

I just realized I posted this in intro's . Sorry. Meant for symptoms and self-care. Ooops

2005-Zoloft bad reaction.....2006-Lexepro......2012-Upped Lexepro.......2013-Upped Lexepro......2/2014- Attempted Taper Lexepro...2/2014- Updosed Lexepro.......3/2014-Ativan.....5/2014- CT switch from Lexpro to Effexor.....

5/2014-7/2014-Tapered Ativan from 1mg to .25mg.....6/2014-Bad reaction to Effexor........7/2014- Rapid taper Effexor every other day......7/5/2014- Off Effexor.......7/2014-12/2014 - Ativan .25mg.......12/25/2014 -Taper Ativan by 4% due to paradoxical reaction .24mg...11/18/2015-Taper Ativan 1% CURRENTLY ON: .2376mg Ativan taken in 6 .0396mg doses.

• 10 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Merged

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

eeg neurofeedback has been strongly suggested to me by psychiatrist.

Reading about it EEG education and research , eegspectrum.com information,research papers etc...

I am nervous about anything that will mess with the brain but psych feels that brain needs help,to get out of the state it is in, intense fear and anxiety

meds tapered @ 50% under psychiatrist June 2013 to October 2014 taper Effexor 150mg, Prozac 40mg,HRT,Gabapentine 500mg tid,Lamotrigine 25mg bid, Librium 5mg qid. October 2014 reduced final med prozac 40 mg-0mg in 4 weeks! 6 weeks later major wd kicked in. Off all meds oct 2014

supplements:Omega 3 4000mg, Vit D 2000mg,March added Inositol 6g 4/ day, TrueHope EMP 2.5 caps. + GabaMax (Phenyl gaba) 1/2 tsp 2/ day, choline bitartrate 250 mg up to 4/ day. June + ltryptophan adverse reaction.

Reinstatement 1 dose 10 mg fluoxetine. adverse reaction face & chest rash the next am...related?saw my neutrons firing, felt like brain swelled or was growing. Too high dose and possible interaction w supplements.June 22,15:Update...stopped emp plus.not sure if it was helping or hindering. Reduced inositol from 24 g/ day to 6 g @ bedtime w gabamax

June 1 mg x ?days, panicked! June, reduced to .50 mg x 2 days,family freaked out, back up to 1 mg

Sometimes think I maybe reacting to meds but it could also just be continuing or new wd symptoms. Occasional rash concerns me but I'm pretty sure an allergic rash would not be intermittent?

August: Prozac 1 mg, quetiepine 6.25 mg @ bedtime, omega 3, vit d doses same. inositol 1.5 tsp w 1/4 tsp gabamax (300 mg phenyl gaba + other ingredients)

Still experiencing disabling symptoms.

Disappointed that I don't feel better being off meds as many report experiencing sx but feel better in the mind...I feel worse. Learning to cope w sx

Mid August reduced inositol to 1.25tsp,gabapentin down to 1/8 + 1/2 of 1/16 tsp (going slow as anxiety increases w each reduction)

August 28: increased Prozac to 1.5 mg hoping for some relief.

Biggest problems now are fear,anxiety,depression along w the physical weak legs and exhaustion.

Upset with myself that I was drug free and then caved looking for relief. All is not lost just because I am taking minimal doses of these drugs. Must remain strong and have faith that I can do it without the drugs...

I tried it on two seperate occasions and it did not go well.

It was actually a very frightening experience.

But, everyone is different and responds differently.

• 2 weeks later...

Is neurofeedback dangerous withside effects here in he Netherlands they say there are no Side effect but i dont know if that is thru ? Anyone ?

15 + years every 3 weeks 10% taper hit zero 25-10-2014 when i started the taper 2 years ago i was taking paxil each other day for almost 2 years i got depression and it never left and i never stabelised when i was did my taper feeling very bad now and dont now what to do depression left a little when i switched to imipramine 75 mg but dont feel stable at all

Thankx

15 + years every 3 weeks 10% taper hit zero 25-10-2014 when i started the taper 2 years ago i was taking paxil each other day for almost 2 years i got depression and it never left and i never stabelised when i was did my taper feeling very bad now and dont now what to do depression left a little when i switched to imipramine 75 mg but dont feel stable at all

• 3 months later...

I am doing Neurofeedback right now. I have been off of Effexor for 8 weeks now after a slow taper. I am on session 6 of the Neurofeedback. I have not noticed tremendous results yet, but no negative side effects what's so ever. I find the sessions very calming and relaxing. I am using it to hopefully overcome my brain fog. I am now off Effexor for 8 weeks and struggling with my concentration, brain fog, feeling in a dream, etc. My Neurofeedback trainer has told me it can take up to 15 sessions for one to really notice the difference. Everyone is different, everyone's brain is different & the re-wiring can vary. I will continue going I my sessions twice a week.. I have noticed my irritability has decreased since I started training, but my main concern of "brain fog" and getting my brain back has not been released yet.... Here's to hope!

I was on 75mg of Effexor for over 10 years - I slowly tapered down to 0 & have been off since the last week of October 2015. I have used several holistic approaches along my journey: Naturopath, Neurofeedback, massage therapy, chiropractor, teas, supplements, exercise, nutrition to name a few

My introduction post:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/10478-sarahleo-my-story-on-coming-off-of-effexor/

• 6 months later...

I just finished 30 sessions of neurofeedback. I have been in protracted withdrawal from Effexor XR for almost four months and was suffering miserably with paranoia, ruminating thoughts and depression.  I saw relief in about half of the sessions that lasted anywhere from 1 to 3 days.  After reading this from beyond meds, I called and cancelled all future appointments.  Also, a staff member on my thread didn't feel good about it while in protracted withdrawal while the injured brain is healing.  $3600.00 later. I would not waste that much money again!!   Reinstating at five tiny beads out of the Effexor capsule three days ago has saved me. No depression, MUCH less anxiety and no paranoia!!  I will hold at this and then begin a VERY slow taper the right way!  It may be helpful several months from now but definitely not worth the risk while in withdrawal is my opinion.  I had no idea...  I pray that no further damage was done.  Here's the link https://beyondmeds.com/2010/06/10/this-is-a-brain-injury-situation/

Effexor XR 300 (brand) mg & various SSRIs 15 yrs (Effexor XR 300 mg past 10 yrs

Clonazepam, 1.0 mg. am, .5 mg pm. - 15 yrs, 7-17-16- Began .5 three times a day

Vyvanse 60 mg, - 2 yrs, Cut to 50 mg for 6 mths, Cut to 30 mg. on 4-1-16. Tapering.

Approx. 4-1-15 began Effexor XR 300 taper, very slowly for a year. Held at 37.5 for about 3 mths. Cut to 18 mg for 2 wks to 0. WD began 2 wks later. Depression, anxiety, paranoia, low appetite, nausea.

7-14-16-Reinstated 5 beads Effx after 4 mths misery.Pooped out 10 days.

9-12-16-to present- Wide eyed terror, bedridden fear, no appetite/feeling of being full.

10-30-16- Began 15% liquid tapering of 30 mg Vyvanse. (25 mg)

11-13-16- Liquid Vyvanse 22 mg,11-27-16- Liquid 15 mg, 12-12-16- Vyvanse 12.5 for 5 days. 12-16 - 12-29, 15 mg.

11-20-16- Switched back to 1.0 clonazepam am & .5 bedtime

12-30-16- Moved to 15 mg COMPOUNDED Vyvanse.Current 4/11-4/25 7.5 mg.(10% ev 2 wks) Off Vyvanse

Current meds:Effexor XR- 3 Beads, Clonazepam-1.0 mg am, .5 mg bedtime,Vyvanse-(tapering) Estradiol- 2

mg,Progesterone 200 mg,Testosterone 30 mg/ml,Nature Throid- 48.75 mg.(12-21-16-65 mg.) (4-18-17-81.25 mg) Current supplements: Fish Oil-1360 mg, Curamin- 2706 mg.

Hey everyone,

Currently on week 3 of a c/t withdrawal from 100mg of Lamictal (got the dreaded rash and had no choice).

Was also prescribed .5mg of Klonopin a day after stopping Lamictal, as I wasn't sleeping and ran a risk for seizures.

I am starting neurofeedback tomorrow, and am wondering if anyone has any experience with it? I've read some pretty good things about its effect on depression, anxiety, add, adhd, sleep, and addiction problems.

Has anyone tried it? Knows someone who tried it? It seems to be a pretty polarizing topic from what I can gather but I'd like some input from the community.

Thanks!

P.S. I'm not only doing nuerofeedback, but am taking many other measures to help stabilize my CNS (talk therapy, eating healthy, no caffeine, minimal sugar, sleep schedule, exercise, meditation, and trying to stay in tune with my body).

Lexapro (10-20mg): 2010-2016

Lexapro 5mg: 2016-September 2017

Lexapro 2.5mg: September 2017-November 2017

Lexapro 1.25mg: November 2017-December 2017

Lexapro 1.25mg (every other day): December 2017-January 31 2018

Quick taper since I thought I had sfx, was actually withdrawal

Reinstated Lexapro .25mg: March 10, 2018

Lamictal: May 1-July 1 2016

Klonopin: July 1, 2016-August 1, 2016

Seroquel, Clonazepam, Xanax, Paxil, and others: 2010-2016

I had 30 sessions of neurofeedback and wish I had my $3600 back. I'm in withdrawal from Effexor XR. Maybe half of these sessions gave me a little relief from 1-4 days. The only thing that REALLY helped me was reinstating five tiny beads out of the Effexor capsule as recommend here at SA. I cancelled my scheduled appointments after reading this https://beyondmeds.com/2010/06/10/this-is-a-brain-injury-situation/

Vyvanse 60 mg, - 2 yrs, Cut to 50 mg for 6 mths, Cut to 30 mg. on 4-1-16. Tapering.

Approx. 4-1-15 began Effexor XR 300 taper, very slowly for a year. Held at 37.5 for about 3 mths. Cut to 18 mg for 2 wks to 0. WD began 2 wks later. Depression, anxiety, paranoia, low appetite, nausea.

9-12-16-to present- Wide eyed terror, bedridden fear, no appetite/feeling of being full.

11-13-16- Liquid Vyvanse 22 mg,11-27-16- Liquid 15 mg, 12-12-16- Vyvanse 12.5 for 5 days. 12-16 - 12-29, 15 mg.

12-30-16- Moved to 15 mg COMPOUNDED Vyvanse.Current 4/11-4/25 7.5 mg.(10% ev 2 wks) Off Vyvanse

Current meds:Effexor XR- 3 Beads, Clonazepam-1.0 mg am, .5 mg bedtime,Vyvanse-(tapering) Estradiol- 2

mg,Progesterone 200 mg,Testosterone 30 mg/ml,Nature Throid- 48.75 mg.(12-21-16-65 mg.) (4-18-17-81.25 mg) Current supplements: Fish Oil-1360 mg, Curamin- 2706 mg.

Hey Sheri,

Sorry to hear that neurofeedback did not help you, and that you had to reinstate some of your Effexor. One day we'll all be off of this crap and feeling good again.

From what I gather, neurofeedback will do nothing to help a completely 'damaged' brain and CNS. I am in no way hoping it will lessen my withdrawal symptoms in any way, more as an alternative to being on medicine.

I did go on medicine for a reason (panic attacks, excessive anxiety, bipolar II, etc.) and have heard that neurofeedback can help to lessen the amount of medication you're on, or may even be able to replace it altogether.

I've also discovered that most people don't notice a difference after a few sessions, and that it takes quite a few before you really notice any changes.

I'm sure if you're in the middle of heavy withdrawal symptoms, it would be pretty tough to notice any changes neurofeedback could be making.

My neurofeedback practioner has made me wait until my Lamictal withdrawal was almost over before we began.

Ironically, you posted a link to Gianna's blog where she said neurofeedback wouldn't work on a damaged brain, which I agree with. However, I originally discovered neurofeedback on Gianna's blog where she says it's clearly a great healing tool, and helped her immensely.

https://beyondmeds.com/2007/03/05/a-little-about-neurofeedback/

I'm more interested in the long term use/effectiveness of neurofeedback at managing my symptoms without medication.

Hi, Sounds like you have a very wise doctor. Ironically, I did get an afternoon of relief on the first session but, of course it didn't hold.

I plan on resuming treatment when I'm off all meds. Next taper is clonazepam or Vyvanse, whichever one SA recommends first.

Thank you for the link and I hope you get great results!

Sheri

Sheri,

My doctor is one of the main reasons I have a bit of confidence in the neurofeedback; she seems to know what she's doing.

Good luck on your next taper! I'm currently tapering Clonazepam, and it's not as bad as I thought it would be! Especially after my Lamictal nightmare.

Another thing I forgot to mention. The first session they did a "brain map" that took about an hour in order to get a baseline for my brain waves.

After about two weeks, and some consultation with other doctors, we met to discuss the results. It was slightly nerve-wracking as there was a decent possibility my brain would not be a candidate for neurofeedback.

I was pretty blown away that she was able to tell I was bipolar, smoked excessive Cannabis, had an addictive personality, had extreme anxiety, struggled with rumination specifically, and most likely had add/adhd. All from a picture of my brain readout!

I felt if she could tell me all of that from measuring my brain, that the neurofeedback has to do something. She's also very confident that I will notice some big changes after I get through a decent amount of sessions.

• Administrator

merged similar topics

TroubledThoughts, I would take such insights based on a "brain map" with a grain of salt. I'll bet you told someone all those things about yourself and the practitioner read the notes, or found out in another way.

I doubt very, very much that anyone can be diagnosed with bipolar disorder from a "brain map" or doctors would be using them all the time. ADD/ADHD is another diagnosis that is handed out very frequently based on ambiguous evidence.

I hope this is not a clinic where the doctors also prescribe drugs based on "brain maps"? See

The trouble with brain scans -- fMRI, QEEG, PET, or SPECT...

Brain scans -- Do any show the damage?

Truehope, The Road Back, LabelMeSane

The doctor does not prescribe drugs, no. They are very adamant about using neurofeedback along with other therapies to cope with mental issues.

Again I will reiterate, I was warned that neurofeedback WOULD NOT work if I was in the midst of withdrawal. She saidid your brain/CNS needs to be rather stable before it will work.

I figured most people on this site would be against neurofeedback and assume it's just placebo, but I have to say "don't knock it till you try it." I've spoken to a few people who have had great results, most are from Europe or had to find out about neurofeedback on their own. I feel that big pharma has done quite a lot to make sure people read all about medicine and the benefits before they find any article about neurofeedback.

I've now been through 4 sessions, and I feel like they are super relaxing while doing it, and I've noticed my brain fog slightly decreases with every session. Whether this is just placebo, I guess we will see in the long run.

I still have very high hopes that after a few months I will notice a change.

As far as the brain mapping goes, I did not tell the practioner anything of great relevance. She was adamant about knowing as little as she could about me before doing the brain mapping, in order to analyze it without any bias. She also didn't diagnose me as bipolar... she went through the map, pointing out "these Beta waves being high is indicative or bipolar", "these Alpha waves are too low which is indicative of addiction problems", and many more. (Those aren't exact examples, I'm just demonstrating.)

Again, I'll reiterate that neurofeedback is NOT recommended at all to help with withdrawal symptoms. It is only recommended to lessen any symptoms you had BEFORE going on medicine. I've had bipolar II, anxiety, OCD, sleep problems, and addiction problems since long before I went on any medicine or withdrew from any medicine.

• 1 year later...

Is doing the Neurofeedback  a waste of money. i had an consultant yesterday to do the Neurofeedback ... i want to know if i should proceed with doing the neurofeedback....thanks in advance for  any reply. ....did i put this in the right place

JOINED THIS BOARD AUGUST 27, 2017

250mg trazodone

250mg   Aug 21, 2017  tapering before I found SA

200mg -  Aug 21, 2017 to Aug 25, 2017 tapering before found SA

225mg -  Aug 26, 2017  updose holding

November 26, 2017. I reinstated my original dose of 250mg  trazodone..planning on holding for a very long time. No more withdrawal

June 14, 2020  at 10% 507  My first start of my trazodone 250mg  taper

6/16/20  90 mgai    7/26/20   81 mgai    9/6/20  72 mg ai 10/17/20- updose to 77 mgai  11/11/20- updose to 81 mgai  

I do Neurofeedback twice a week and it definitely helps with physical symptoms and makes you overall more relaxed. 

•  

Sertraline, 10 YRS at 100mg. 

Commenced Taper: mid-February 2017,

75mg: February 2017- April 2017

50 mg: April 2017- June 2017

25 mg: June 2017-  early October 2017

12.5 mg early October- present 

Omega 3, 6, 9 + 70mg GLA

11/1Reinstated 12.5 to 15.25mg, no real side effects, or differences in terms of WD symptoms. 

11/5 Reinstate: 15.25 to 18.75- feeling a bit better but still too soon too tell. Still feeling DP, and a little depression. 11/6 +11/7: 25mg 11/8 +11/9: 27mg 11/10, 11/11: 29mg 11/12 + 11/13: 30mg 

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy