TB1973: Prozac and sleep

TB1973

20 hours ago, TB1973 said:

I've decided not to take any medications until I see him, no anti-depressants or temazapam

So what you are saying is you are doing a CT across the board?

This is the kind of thing that puts people in a hospital. Please reconsider this decision. As AliG says things can get worse. 

When do you see Mr Fox? Tomorrow ...next week?...next month.

Even the drug companies say don't stop abruptly. The FDA in 2004 said abrupt changes can cause suicidal reactions.

TB you don't need to do this to yourself.

nz11

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TB1973

• Kristine

• Shep

• Altostrata

Top Posters In This Topic

Any news on the Mr Fox meeting?

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

I just wanted to provide an update on what's been going on over the past few days.  I did decide to stop taking all medication for 2 days.  It wasn't a good decision, although I'm doing this all by myself, and I wont see my psychiatrist until Monday 29 January as he is on holidays. I went to see my GP who told me to take Amitriptyline (Endep)10mg which would help.  I was reluctant to take this medication and decided not to because over the past 4 months my psychiatrist has prescribed several medications which I haven't been able to tolerate for one reason or another.  The main issues being insomnia, extreme stress as I felt as though my brain wasn't tolerating the medication, I just couldn't think straight, I think I was manic although I don't know for sure, all I could do was really sit still or go for a walk to get my mind off it, my whole body would tremble, as soon as I did wake up my brain would just start doing this weird thing where I had constant thoughts and I couldn't stop this.  I'm sure during the past 5 months I have experienced serotonin syndrome, although never diagnosed with this.

I did go and see the psychologist David Fox who couldn't offer me any advice really, only that he could counsel me through this medication fiasco.  It's been unrelenting for the past 5 months and I want it fixed as soon as possible.  I have a daughter to care for and I also do not want to lose my job.  If I were to lose my job that would just add another layer of stress.

I finally decided to take myself to the local hospital in the desperate hope that they would have an answer for me. The psychiatrist who I spoke with had no idea what I was talking about.  He said that I was anxious.  I just broke down.  He doesn't understand either.  I just wanted him to tell me what medication to take.  He just didn't care.  I went home and I just wanted to end everything.

It had now been 2 days since I stopped taking all medication so I decided to re-introduce Mirtazapine at 15mg.  I did this on 25 January.  I had to use this medication initially as a PRN and took it to alleviate severe withdrawal.  For 2 days, I took this medication, 15mg, whenever I felt I wasn't able to deal with the withdrawal symptoms.  The reason why I decided to reinstate this medication is because over the past 5 months it was the only medication I felt provided relief.  It got me through Christmas and the New Year and I felt a little bit like myself again.  I was functioning.  Today is Sunday 28 January and last night I took 30mg Mirtazapine and 20mg Temazapam which helped me sleep.  I feel a little bit better today and might actually be able to leave the house to do my grocery shopping and get myself ready to return to work tomorrow.

Going forward I do not want to Mirtazapine to be the medication I take.  One of the side affects is rapid weight gain and I simply cannot put on any more weight as that will impact me on a level which will make me spiral back into a dark place.

I really do not know what to do going forward.  I am seeing my psychiatrist tomorrow and he is going to tell me it's the underlying depression returning, that I should go back on Effexor as that was working before I ceased taking it cold turkey.  For one reason or another I couldn't reinstate Effexor, as I've already tried this and felt like I was losing my mind.  I have lost faith in my doctor.  I just want to be on a medication where I can be stable for at least 12 months without any adverse side affects and then consider again tapering off the new medication.  I don't want him to treat depression, as I'm not feeling depressed.  I want him to treat the withdrawal symptoms.

Any advice, thoughts or words would be appreciated.

Warm regards,

August 2017 - Quit 75 mg Effexor cold turkey

October 2017 - January 2018 - several changes to medication, first AD introduced, 20mg Zoloft (October 2017), changed to 20mg Brintellix (November 2017), changed to 25mg Valdoxan (November 2017), changed to 15mg Mirtazapine (December 2017), changed to 20mg Prozac (January 2018), changed to 15mg  Mirtazapine (January 2018), all of the previous AD mentioned were at one time or another taken with 20mg Temazapam, changed to 5mg Lexapro and 50mg Seroquel (February 2018).

Finally admitted to hospital February 2018 due to all medication changes.

February/March 2018 - 20mg Prozac and 5mg Zyprexa

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, TB.

Thanks for the update. I do understand the position you're in regarding having to work through this and wanting to do everything you can do to make sure you stay functional. However, you are making this worse by coming off and on drugs. For more on this, see:

The rule of 3KIS: Keep it simple. Keep it slow. Keep it stable.

Also, you're seeing yourself up for limbic kindling. For more, see:

Limbic Kindling -- Hardwiring the brain for hypersensitivity

I think it will help if you read this thread on tapering off of mirtazapine, especially in regards to the effects of sedation at lower doses. Many people find that mirtazapine is more sedating at 15 mg or less. 

Tips for tapering off mirtazapine (Remeron)

Please note this part: 

On 4/10/2012 at 8:07 PM, Altostrata said:

Mirtazapine has a high affinity for histamine receptors and is therefore sedating at low doses. This is countered to some extent by its enhancement of noradrenergic neurotransmission at higher doses, making mirtazapine less sedative as its dosage is increased.

What dose of Prozac are you on now?

Please update your signature with what you are currently taking

• Administrator
On 1/21/2018 at 5:49 PM, TB1973 said:

I'm at the end of my tether.  I've been pretty much house bound for 5 months with the exception of going to work.  I can't live like this any more.

Thank you for responding x

Being able to go to work is actually a fairly good state. Please stay as calm as possible. It sounds like you are working yourself up and you're making errors in judgment as you flail about.

On 1/22/2018 at 2:23 PM, Altostrata said:

TB, how many days have you been taking 5mg Prozac?

Please don't make more than one drug change at a time! This confuses your situation a lot.

What exactly are you taking now, at what times of day, and what dosages?

On 1/22/2018 at 7:50 PM, TB1973 said:

Last night I took 20mg of temazapam and 15mg of myrtazapine for sleep. I was desperate and didn't know what to do.

I was only on 5mg of prozac for one day and felt the full withdrawal effects.  I called the hospital last night to talk to someone as I mentioned I'm desperate for help.

Why did you decide 5mg Prozac wasn't working? It seemed to be working. Do you still have Prozac left?

You can be sure if you go to a hospital, or if you go to a physician begging for a solution, you will be offered lots of drugs. Very few doctors of any kind know how to treat withdrawal, that's why this site exists.

It's good that David Fox will give you emotional support because it seems you tend to make yourself anxious.

What exactly are you taking now, at what times of day, and what dosages? What is your symptom pattern now? Please keep daily notes on paper about your symptoms, when you take your drugs, and their dosages.

Please read the responses by staff carefully and answer all questions. We need to know specific information before advising a course of action.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hey TB, just want to say hi and your not alone in this hell. listen to the mods they know what there talking about. (((((hugs)))))

• 1995 started Paxil 20mg slowly increasing to 50mg 2014 I decided to tapper myself not knowing how too and crashed , DR added 50mg of Seroquel

• Through the years made many mistakes tapering

• Started Tapering Both drugs at the same time 7.5% per month Paxil 9% Seroquel doing daily micro-taper 

• Guided by Mark Horowitz

• 31/3/24 Paxil 10.31mg

• 31/3/24 Seroquel 9.9mg

Hi everyone,

I went to see my psychiatrist yesterday.  I thank you all for all of your advice and input and I'm sorry I haven't been following advice due to being totally freaked out by this whole experience.  I'm so scared to take any medication because my psychiatrist has tried me on all of the medications in my signature, leading up to today, 30 January 2018, where I haven't stuck to the medications because I felt the dosage was too high and i couldn't handle the affects of that particular medication, and not sleeping for days on end was also doing so much damage to me.  I told my psychiatrist that I was ultra sensitive to medications due to coming off Effexor cold turkey back in October 2017.  I tried to show him exerts from all of the information I have collected from this site about the side affects I had been experiencing and he just didn't get it, all of the medications he had prescribed to me and the dosages were too high and I couldn't tolerate the side affects, in particular the racing thoughts, the agitation and anxiety and the insomnia, just to name a few.  This is why I keep jumping around and making really bad decisions and changing the medication myself.  Unfortunately I haven't been of sound mind to write things down.  I have started a diary today.  I told my doctor to get through this terrible phase in my life I realise that I need to be on an antidepressant and that I need to be able to sleep, and that he needs to realise that I need to start off at the lowest dose possible of any sort of medication before I can even consider increasing it.  He prescribed 5mg Lexepro and 50mg seroquel and asked me to stay on this medication and not stop taking it.  I can do this, I have to, although I'm praying I can get through the horrible parts of starting a new medication.

October 2017 - January 2018 - several changes to medication, first AD introduced, 20mg Zoloft (October 2017), changed to 20mg Brintellix (November 2017), changed to 25mg Valdoxan (November 2017), changed to 15mg Mirtazapine (December 2017), changed to 20mg Prozac (January 2018), changed to 15mg  Mirtazapine (January 2018), all of the previous AD mentioned were at one time or another taken with 20mg Temazapam, changed to 5mg Lexapro and 50mg Seroquel (February 2018).

• Moderator Emeritus
9 hours ago, TB1973 said:

He prescribed 5mg Lexepro and 50mg seroquel and asked me to stay on this medication and not stop taking it.  I can do this, I have to, although I'm praying I can get through the horrible parts of starting a new medication.

TB, 5 mg of Lexapro is not a low dose of this drug. The "tips for tapering off" thread gives a really good explanation of this:

Tips for tapering off Lexapro (escitalopram)

As Alto notes on that thread:

On 5/26/2011 at 10:16 PM, Altostrata said:

A significant characteristic of Lexapro is that milligram for milligram, it is much stronger than other SSRIs.

This is a list of antidepressant equivalencies:

Hayasaka, 2015 Dose equivalents of antidepressants: Evidence-based recommendations from randomized controlled trials

Make note of the escitalopram (Lexapro) listing: 

On 1/19/2016 at 5:10 PM, Altostrata said:
  • escitalopram 18.0 mg/day (note: 9mg escilatopram = 20mg fluoxetine, the "normal" dose of fluoxetine)

This means escitalopram (Lexapro) at 9 mg = 20 mg fluoxetine (Prozac)

This means that 5 mg Lexapro = 11.11 mg Prozac 

On 1/20/2018 at 11:56 PM, TB1973 said:

I've decreased Prozac to 10mg and think this is still too much and will reduce further to 5mg tomorrow.

The above is from a post you made ten days ago. You have now started taking a new drug (Lexapro) which is equivalent to more than the 10 mg of Prozac you were previously taking and reported being too high a dose.

9 hours ago, TB1973 said:

I thank you all for all of your advice and input and I'm sorry I haven't been following advice due to being totally freaked out by this whole experience. 

While it's understandable to be "freaked out", please note that we need you to take a calming breath and work with us. By staying as calm as possible and reading through the links we are giving you, you will best be able to untangle yourself from this and set up a taper that works best for you. 

If you continue to panic and keep making these types of changes, we won't be able to help you. You'll need to keep working with your doctor. These online forums are great sources of information, but we can only do so much. Please note:

What's requited from you and your ability to self-manage

TB are you feeling a little better.

Your drug signature is a little confusing for me but i assume you are now on Lexapro and Seroquel. And nothing else.

Recovering paxil addict

TB just wanted to draw your attention to the petition to the Scottish government. 

Be great if you would consider a submission.

see my drug sig for details.

Recovering paxil addict

For the past 8 days I have been taking 5mg of lexapro and between 25mg and 50mg of seroquel for sleep (although the seroquel doesn't work every night).  I'm really not liking lexapro medication, even this very small dose isn't making me feel good at all.  I'm not sure if I can last on this medication and I'm not sure what to do, although I have to keep taking it as I need something.

Ever since I came off effexor cold turkey my doctor has tried me on the list of medications in my signature over the past 5 months.  I haven't been able to stick to any of the medications due to how they make me feel and the insomnia.

I think I need to call my doctor again today to discuss.  I really have no faith in him.  What should I do?

I've previously been posting under Prozac and sleep.

I'm really hoping to get some critical advice today.  I came off Effexor 6 months ago cold turkey.  Since that time my doctor has prescribed several different medications to assist with the withdrawal of Effexor and the "underlying depression".  I haven't been able to stick to any of the new medications for one reason or another, I just know the medication isn't right for me.  It's now 6 months after stopping Effexor and I feel so much worse than I have felt in my life.  Should I try and reinstate Effexor, maybe 4 beads for a few days and then gradually increase from there?  I don't know where else to turn.  I'm waiting to speak to my psychiatrist as I am not tolerating the new medication Lexapro at 5mg (I've been taking this medication for 8 days now).  Any assistance or helpful insight would be appreciate.

Thank you.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi TB,

I've moved the new topic you created to your Intro topic.  Each member has 1 Intro topic where they can ask questions and journal their progress.

I have asked the other mods for their thoughts on your question.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

I've organised to have time off work to get the medication sorted.  I just need to know what I can do to help myself over the next few days until I get a referral to a new psychiatrist who can provide a second opinion.  My psychiatrist isn't returning my calls.

• Moderator Emeritus

Q:  Are you keeping daily notes on paper of when you take your drug/s and when symptoms arise?

Q:  What is your current symptom pattern?

I suggest you check out these topics:

What should I expect from my doctor about withdrawal symptoms?

How do you talk to a doctor about tapering and withdrawal?

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Administrator

Why not go back to 5mg Prozac? 

Your psychiatrist is trying to stop you from complaining. Adding drugs or increasing drugs is the only way they know how to address your complaints. He or she is hoping that if you have enough of a drug in you, you'll stop coming in and demanding solutions.

You've been switching around and it's hard to tell what will work. If I were you, I'd take 5mg Prozac again, give it some time. If you feel a little better when you take it, that's good enough. You may have ups and downs for a while before you stabilize.

Keep daily notes on paper about your symptoms, when you take your drugs, and their dosages. Let us know how you're doing.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I am in hospital now under my psychiatrist who I absolutely have no respect for. I’m now on 20mg of Prozac which is helping. I have already told him that the 50mg of seroquel for sleep is too much and is attributing to how bad I feel. Although he prescribed this again for sleep and also 10mg of diazepam. I am not functioning today. He is now trying me on 7.5mg of immovain and 10mg diazepam for sleep. I’m in hell.

3 hours ago, TB1973 said:

I am in hospital now under my psychiatrist who I absolutely have no respect for. I’m now on 20mg of Prozac which is helping. I have already told him that the 50mg of seroquel for sleep is too much and is attributing to how bad I feel. Although he prescribed this again for sleep and also 10mg of diazepam. I am not functioning today. He is now trying me on 7.5mg of immovain and 10mg diazepam for sleep. I’m in hell.

I am so so sorry you are going through this TB,  Just letting you know that I am trying to hold your hand and giving you a hug across cyber space. I am here, you are not alone. K xo

• Citalopram 20mg - 40mg ~ approx 2010 - October 2015 (stopped over one week)
  • Parnate  20mg - 50mg and olazapine 5mg ~ Jan 2016 - May 2016 (ceased over 2 days) 
  • Lithium 450mg-900 mg and Thyroxin ~May 2016 - May 2017
  • Diazepam various doses (including PRN) ~ 2015 - 2017
  • Oxazepam various doses (including PRN) ~ May 2016 - June 2016
  • Lurasidone 20mg ~Mid May 2016 - Mid June 2016
  • Vortioxetine 10mg - 20mg ~ 6th June 2016 - 20th July 2016 (abruptly ceased)
  • Amitriptyline 200mg ~July 2016 - September 2016 (ceased over 1 week)
  • Nortriptyline  (dose ?) ~October 2016 ~ November 2016 (abruptly ceased)
  • Seroquel XR 100mg - 300mg ~ May 2016 - August 2017 (ceased over 3 weeks)
  • Escitalopram 10mg - 30mg ~ August 2016 - March 2017 (ceased over 2 weeks)
  • Bupropion 300mg ~ December 2016 - May 2017 (ceased over 1 week)
  • Clonazepam 1.5mg daily ~ July 2016 (started tapering May 2017 - September 2017 currently on 0.375mg..ie 0.125mg TDS) 27th May 2018 5% 0.357mg (possible paradoxical reaction - see benzo thread)  28th June 5% 0.337mg, 28th July 10% 0.303mg, 12th September10% 0.272mg, 18th September reinstated 10% due to intolerable WD 0.303mg, 1st October-11th Oct 10% (1% reduction over 10 days) 0.272mg, 22nd October clonazepam ceased crossed over 10mg diazepam
  •  Dexamphatamine 20mg ~ December 2016 (started tapering October 2017 - tapered 1.25mg 4th Dec 2017, 1.25mg 19th Dec 2017 6.25mg, Speed up decrease due to major interaction between Dex and fluoxetine- ref to thread 10% 17th Feb 2018 5.63mg, 10% 21st Feb 2018 5.1mg, 10% 26th Feb 2018 4.5mg 10% 28th Feb 4.1mg, 10% 1st March 3.7mg, 10% 5th March 3.3mg, 10% 8th March 3mg, 10% 10th March 2.7mg, 10% 12th March 2.4mg, 10% 14th March 2.16mg, 10% 16th March 1.94mg, 10% 18th March 1.74mg, 10% 20th March 1.57mg, 10% 21st March 1.41mg, 10% 22nd March 1.26mg, 10% 23rd March 1.13mg, 10% 24th March 1.01mg, 10% 25th March 0.9mg, 10% 27th March 0.81mg, 10% 29th March 0.73mg, 10% 31st March 0.66mg, 10% 2nd April 0.59mg , 10% 4th April 0.53mg, 10% 6th April 0.47mg, 10% 8th April 0.42mg, 10%10th April 0.37mg, 11th April 0.2mg, 12th April 0.1mg (last dose) OFF! 
  • Fluoxetine 40mg ~December 2016 - 31 Jan 2018 reduced to 20mg (probable serotonin toxicity) 10th March 2020 10mg (1:1 ratio), 7th April 9mg, 1st May 8.5mg, 15th May 8.0mg, 27th May 7.5mg, 8th Sept 7.2mg, 2nd Oct 7mg, 19th Oct 6.8mg, 28th Oct 6.6mg, 5th Nov 6.4mg, 26th Nov 6mg, 2nd April 2021 5.9mg, 9th April 5.8mg, 19th April 5.75mg, 22nd April 5.7mg, 26th April 5.65mg,28th April 5.6mg, 1st May 5.5mg, 4th May 5.45mg, 7th May 5.4mg, 10th May 5.35mg, 12th May 5.3mg, 15th May 5.25mg, 18th May 5.2mg, 20th May 5.15mg, 22nd May 5mg, 10th July 4.5mg, 9th Aug 4.48mg (switched from syringe to pipette method), 12th Aug 4.46mg, 14th Aug 4.4mg, 18th Aug 4.38mg, 19th Aug 4.36mg, 20th Aug 4.34, 21st 4.32mg, 22nd 4.3mg, 23rd Aug 4mg (hold), (micro-taper) 12th Oct 2021 3.98mg, 14th Oct 3.96mg, 15th Oct 3.94mg, 16th Oct 3.92mg, 17th Oct 3.9mg, 18th Oct 3.88mg, 19th Oct 3.86mg, 21st Oct 3.84mg, 22nd Oct 3.82mg, 23rd Oct 3.8mg, 24th Oct 3.78mg, 25th Oct 3.76mg, 26th Oct 3.74mg, 27th Oct 3.72mg, (WD reached intolerable level, reinstated 0.06mg) 28th Oct 3.8mg, 7th March 2022 3.7mg, 21st March 3.6mg, 4th April 3.5mg, 18th April 3.4mg, 2nd May 3.3mg, 16th May 3.2mg, 20th June 3.1mg, 4th July 3mg, 18th July 2.9mg, 12th September 2.7mg, 18th October 2.5mg, 14th Nov 2.3mg, 12th December 2.1mg, 18th January 2023 1.9mg, 9th July 2023 1.88mg, 16th July 1.86mg, 23rd July 1.84mg, 30th July 1.82mg, 6th Aug 1.80mg, 10th Sept 1.7mg, 12th Oct 1.68mg, 23rd Oct 1.66mg, 30th Oct 1.64mg, 6th Nov 1.62mg, 13th Nov 1.60mg, (2:1 ratio) 30th Dec 1.597mg, 7th Jan 2024 1.595mg, 8th 1.592mg,  10th 1.589, 11th 1.587, 12th 1.585, 13th 1.583, 14th 1.58 cont… 5th Feb 1.56mg, 11th Feb 1.55mg, 19th Feb 1.54mg, 26th Feb 1.53mg, 4th March 1.52mg, 11th March 1.51mg, 25th March 1.50mg, 1st April 1.49mg, 8th April 1.48mg, 15th April 1.47mg, 22nd April 1.46mg, 29th April 1.45mg
  • Diazepam 10mg ~ 22nd Oct 2018, 10th November 8mg, 14th Nov 7mg, 8th December 6mg, 30th December 5mg (Nocte), 7th March 2019 4.5mg,14th March 4mg, 5th April 3.5mg, 9th April 3mg, 18th April 2.5mg,1st May 2mg, 17th May 1.75mg, 25th May 1.6mg, 4th June 1.59mg, 5th June 1.58mg, 6th June 1.57mg, 7th June 1.56mg, 8th June 1.55mg, 22nd June 1.4mg, 4th July 1.2mg, 16th July 1mg, 30th July 0.8mg, 13th Aug 0.6mg, 28th Aug 0.4mg, 10th Sept 0.2mg, 23rd Sept Off! 
  • SR Circadin 2mg (melatonin) 25th May - 20th June 
  • Zolpidem 10mg 25th May (7 tablets)
  • Supplements: Magnesium glycinate (soluble - sip throughout the day) 

"Whenever you feel yourself doubting how far you can go,  just remember how far you have come.  Remember everything you have faced, all the battles you have won, and all the fears you have overcome"    Unknown 

Thank you. I need to get the medication sorted in hospital. I’ve been trying to do it on my own, with limited assistance from my psychiatrist, as he doesn’t believe anything I tell him. I need to sort this medication out once and for all so that I can work and care for my daughter. All of the support on this forum is so much appreciated.

• Moderator Emeritus
5 hours ago, TB1973 said:

TB, what do you mean by  "20mg of Prozac helping?" Is it possible the stimulating effects of these high doses of antidepressants you've been taking are making your insomnia worse? 

In order for us to help you, please post a symptoms and drug journal in this format:

Symptoms and drug journal format

Please re-read what Alto and the moderators have already written on your thread. We'd like to help you sort this out, but your panic is making you make decisions that are harmful and you are digging yourself deeper into polypharmacy. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi TB,

I thought I would chime in if you are reading from the hospital.  I found myself in a similar situation years ago after being taken off Effexor rather abruptly.  I think I was on 75mg. taken twice a day.  Was instructed by my psychiatrist to decrease it by half and then go off it from the 75mg., just like you did.  It was before I was aware of what the true nature of withdrawal could be.   Or before I was aware of harm reduction approaches to getting off A/D's or cautious tapering.   In anycase........like you I ended up re-medicated for a long period of time.  Off and on functional as far as work and child care goes.  Diagnosed and re-diagnosed as different illnesses/labels as well during this period.

I'm seeing some really good advice and suggestions given above.   I am hoping you can attend to some of them.

And I am pretty sure.......you can ask anyway.........that you do not have to agree to take any medication that you are not comfortable taking while in the hospital.  Of course it is expected that you can communicate this civilly to those giving the medications and your doctor.

I think that either way, at this time........you may need to take a little more time off, and when able to............ work on some non medication coping skills......... for what sounds like protracted W/D, complicated by indiscriminate re-medication.  I'm hoping you can get some support and help as well for some of your more practical and financial issues.

Love, peace, healing/inrecovery, and growth,

manymoretodays

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

Hey TB,  Just letting you know I am thinking of you. I am also concerned about you. Are you still in hospital? I'm hoping you have seen the messages from Shep and MMT and are able to respond. Much Love K xo

• Parnate  20mg - 50mg and olazapine 5mg ~ Jan 2016 - May 2016 (ceased over 2 days) 
  • Clonazepam 1.5mg daily ~ July 2016 (started tapering May 2017 - September 2017 currently on 0.375mg..ie 0.125mg TDS) 27th May 2018 5% 0.357mg (possible paradoxical reaction - see benzo thread)  28th June 5% 0.337mg, 28th July 10% 0.303mg, 12th September10% 0.272mg, 18th September reinstated 10% due to intolerable WD 0.303mg, 1st October-11th Oct 10% (1% reduction over 10 days) 0.272mg, 22nd October clonazepam ceased crossed over 10mg diazepam
  •  Dexamphatamine 20mg ~ December 2016 (started tapering October 2017 - tapered 1.25mg 4th Dec 2017, 1.25mg 19th Dec 2017 6.25mg, Speed up decrease due to major interaction between Dex and fluoxetine- ref to thread 10% 17th Feb 2018 5.63mg, 10% 21st Feb 2018 5.1mg, 10% 26th Feb 2018 4.5mg 10% 28th Feb 4.1mg, 10% 1st March 3.7mg, 10% 5th March 3.3mg, 10% 8th March 3mg, 10% 10th March 2.7mg, 10% 12th March 2.4mg, 10% 14th March 2.16mg, 10% 16th March 1.94mg, 10% 18th March 1.74mg, 10% 20th March 1.57mg, 10% 21st March 1.41mg, 10% 22nd March 1.26mg, 10% 23rd March 1.13mg, 10% 24th March 1.01mg, 10% 25th March 0.9mg, 10% 27th March 0.81mg, 10% 29th March 0.73mg, 10% 31st March 0.66mg, 10% 2nd April 0.59mg , 10% 4th April 0.53mg, 10% 6th April 0.47mg, 10% 8th April 0.42mg, 10%10th April 0.37mg, 11th April 0.2mg, 12th April 0.1mg (last dose) OFF! 
  • Fluoxetine 40mg ~December 2016 - 31 Jan 2018 reduced to 20mg (probable serotonin toxicity) 10th March 2020 10mg (1:1 ratio), 7th April 9mg, 1st May 8.5mg, 15th May 8.0mg, 27th May 7.5mg, 8th Sept 7.2mg, 2nd Oct 7mg, 19th Oct 6.8mg, 28th Oct 6.6mg, 5th Nov 6.4mg, 26th Nov 6mg, 2nd April 2021 5.9mg, 9th April 5.8mg, 19th April 5.75mg, 22nd April 5.7mg, 26th April 5.65mg,28th April 5.6mg, 1st May 5.5mg, 4th May 5.45mg, 7th May 5.4mg, 10th May 5.35mg, 12th May 5.3mg, 15th May 5.25mg, 18th May 5.2mg, 20th May 5.15mg, 22nd May 5mg, 10th July 4.5mg, 9th Aug 4.48mg (switched from syringe to pipette method), 12th Aug 4.46mg, 14th Aug 4.4mg, 18th Aug 4.38mg, 19th Aug 4.36mg, 20th Aug 4.34, 21st 4.32mg, 22nd 4.3mg, 23rd Aug 4mg (hold), (micro-taper) 12th Oct 2021 3.98mg, 14th Oct 3.96mg, 15th Oct 3.94mg, 16th Oct 3.92mg, 17th Oct 3.9mg, 18th Oct 3.88mg, 19th Oct 3.86mg, 21st Oct 3.84mg, 22nd Oct 3.82mg, 23rd Oct 3.8mg, 24th Oct 3.78mg, 25th Oct 3.76mg, 26th Oct 3.74mg, 27th Oct 3.72mg, (WD reached intolerable level, reinstated 0.06mg) 28th Oct 3.8mg, 7th March 2022 3.7mg, 21st March 3.6mg, 4th April 3.5mg, 18th April 3.4mg, 2nd May 3.3mg, 16th May 3.2mg, 20th June 3.1mg, 4th July 3mg, 18th July 2.9mg, 12th September 2.7mg, 18th October 2.5mg, 14th Nov 2.3mg, 12th December 2.1mg, 18th January 2023 1.9mg, 9th July 2023 1.88mg, 16th July 1.86mg, 23rd July 1.84mg, 30th July 1.82mg, 6th Aug 1.80mg, 10th Sept 1.7mg, 12th Oct 1.68mg, 23rd Oct 1.66mg, 30th Oct 1.64mg, 6th Nov 1.62mg, 13th Nov 1.60mg, (2:1 ratio) 30th Dec 1.597mg, 7th Jan 2024 1.595mg, 8th 1.592mg,  10th 1.589, 11th 1.587, 12th 1.585, 13th 1.583, 14th 1.58 cont… 5th Feb 1.56mg, 11th Feb 1.55mg, 19th Feb 1.54mg, 26th Feb 1.53mg, 4th March 1.52mg, 11th March 1.51mg, 25th March 1.50mg, 1st April 1.49mg, 8th April 1.48mg, 15th April 1.47mg, 22nd April 1.46mg, 29th April 1.45mg
  • Diazepam 10mg ~ 22nd Oct 2018, 10th November 8mg, 14th Nov 7mg, 8th December 6mg, 30th December 5mg (Nocte), 7th March 2019 4.5mg,14th March 4mg, 5th April 3.5mg, 9th April 3mg, 18th April 2.5mg,1st May 2mg, 17th May 1.75mg, 25th May 1.6mg, 4th June 1.59mg, 5th June 1.58mg, 6th June 1.57mg, 7th June 1.56mg, 8th June 1.55mg, 22nd June 1.4mg, 4th July 1.2mg, 16th July 1mg, 30th July 0.8mg, 13th Aug 0.6mg, 28th Aug 0.4mg, 10th Sept 0.2mg, 23rd Sept Off! 

"Whenever you feel yourself doubting how far you can go,  just remember how far you have come.  Remember everything you have faced, all the battles you have won, and all the fears you have overcome"    Unknown 

Hi Kristine. I’m still in hospital. I don’t have my laptop with me and using my phone and have found it difficult to follow the posts. Im currently on 20mg of Prozac and slowly improving, using 5mg of diazepam during the day to get through the difficult times. I take 7.5mg of imovane at night which is helping with the insomnia. I’m having small windows during the day where I feel ok, it’s slow but I’m ok with that. I’m hopeful this all might work out. I have care 24 hours a day and not panicking any more because I’m being guided and supported. This forum has been beneficial and I’m so grateful for all of the help and support I’ve had. ❤️

15 minutes ago, TB1973 said:

Hi Kristine. I’m still in hospital. I don’t have my laptop with me and using my phone and have found it difficult to follow the posts. Im currently on 20mg of Prozac and slowly improving, using 5mg of diazepam during the day to get through the difficult times. I take 7.5mg of imovane at night which is helping with the insomnia. I’m having small windows during the day where I feel ok, it’s slow but I’m ok with that. I’m hopeful this all might work out. I have care 24 hours a day and not panicking any more because I’m being guided and supported. This forum has been beneficial and I’m so grateful for all of the help and support I’ve had. ❤️

Hey TB,  I am so pleased you are feeling a little better. Thank you for letting us know how you are.  I'm also very pleased to hear you haven't been overly medicated with massive doses. This was a big concern I had for you! Take advantage of your time in hospital to rejuvenate and sleeeeep! Biggest of hugs. K xo

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi TB1973,

Update your signature once you get back.  That will be helpful.  Please include the month, day, and year of medication switches and changes. 

Also plug in your current medications to the interaction checker at drugs.com and copy that here to your introduction journal for us.  Also will be very helpful.

You might consider a lower dose of your Prozac/fluoxetine while you are there in the hospital.  I know you were concerned with some serotonicity/ possible  toxicity. 

The symptom and drug journal format that Shep linked you to is 5 posts up.  This as well.  You could get into the hang of it on paper while there?

manymoretodays

Edited by manymoretodays

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey there, if you are checking in TB.  Here's the interactions checker that I mentioned above:

https://www.drugs.com/interactions-check.php?drug_list=862-0,1030-0,1115-0

Let me know if the link works for you.  Your current meds/drugs should be plugged in there at least for the short term viewing.

It looks like the Imovane that you mention is a sedative/hypnotic.  Do you know if the generic name is eszopiclone?  If there is a medication nurse who is available for questions, ask her to spend a bit of time with you.  Best to be fully informed on these medications/drugs. 

Best I can see is that short term only use is recommended.  Diazepam not so great either for frequent use, especially beyond a week or so.  So......I suspect that you may hit some difficulty if/when your Doctor cuts either of those.  And truly......I am hoping he/she does.  I imagine that you might be in benzo and hypnotic bliss right now.  Not really a great solution for the long term.   I am seeing moderate reactions between the 3 medications that you mention below.......and I think that it will be difficult for you, if not somewhat limiting as well(as far as expecting reasonable functioning on the present combination of medication).  Unfortunate how hospitalization often works.  Short term relief.

On 2/17/2018 at 12:56 AM, TB1973 said:

I think you are not panicking anymore as well.......due to the benzo and hypnotic effects of your current medication regimen.  Do keep us informed and give a good try at some journaling of drugs/medications, times.........and symptoms as well.  Morning, afternoon, evening, and anything after bedtime.

manymoretodays

Edited by manymoretodays

• 3 weeks later...

I was discharged from hospital on Friday 2 March 2018, and now taking 20mg Prozac and 5mg of Zyprexa.  I did feel some benefit from taking this medication together, although now I'm not so sure.  I just can't seem to get my brain working.  I feel agitated, I have brain fog, I just can't get moving, my mind seems delayed.  I am hoping to go back to work soon, although with these symptoms I don't think this will be the case.

5 hours ago, TB1973 said:

I was discharged from hospital on Friday 2 March 2018, and now taking 20mg Prozac and 5mg of Zyprexa.  I did feel some benefit from taking this medication together, although now I'm not so sure.  I just can't seem to get my brain working.  I feel agitated, I have brain fog, I just can't get moving, my mind seems delayed.  I am hoping to go back to work soon, although with these symptoms I don't think this will be the case.

Hey TB,  Glad to hear you are home from hospital.  However, I'm so sorry you are struggling.  How long have you been taking the zyprexa?  I was prescribed 5mg of olanzapine (zyprexa) in unison with an antidepressant, this happened 3 months after a CT off an SSRI.  I had similar symptoms to what you describe.  It might be worth writing out your symtom pattern so the mods can assist you.  Eg. What time you take your medications...when the agitation starts and for how long.  Also are you still taking the temazepam or the Valium? I'm only suggesting this because I understand all too well the cognitive difficulties brought on by antipsychotic medication.  It's difficult to figure out the next step sometimes :wub: Much Love. K xo

4 hours ago, TB1973 said:

Hi Kristine, I had been on 5mg of olanzapine for approximately 11 days, and the psychiatrist reduced to 2.5mg as I said the side affects, such as the brain fog, agitation, anxiety, shaky feeling were difficult to deal with and I needed to be okay to return to work. The reduction tookplace last Thursday evening, the day before I left hospital.  I felt great when I left hospital on the 2.5mg of olanzapine and 20mg of prozac, taken at 8pm in the evening, although that only lasted one day.  Over the weekend I didn't feel too good, still the brain fog, agitation, shaky feeling, I can feel my brain working over time.  I went to see my psych on Tuesday and she increased the dosage to 5mg again.  Being on 5mg I'm feeling agitation, no appetite, I feel I can't sit still, my brain is working over time, I am teary, I am anxious, I don't know what to do, I need help, I am shaking, my brain is numb, my heart is beating fast.  I am not taking any sleep medication such as temazapam any more.

Hi Kristine, I had been on 5mg of olanzapine for approximately 11 days, and the psychiatrist reduced to 2.5mg as I said the side affects, such as the brain fog, agitation, anxiety, shaky feeling were difficult to deal with and I needed to be okay to return to work. The reduction tookplace last Thursday evening, the day before I left hospital.  I felt great when I left hospital on the 2.5mg of olanzapine and 20mg of prozac, taken at 8pm in the evening, although that only lasted one day.  Over the weekend I didn't feel too good, still the brain fog, agitation, shaky feeling, I can feel my brain working over time.  I went to see my psych on Tuesday and she increased the dosage to 5mg again.  Being on 5mg I'm feeling agitation, no appetite, I feel I can't sit still, my brain is working over time, I am teary, I am anxious, I don't know what to do, I need help, I am shaking, my brain is numb, my heart is beating fast.  I am not taking any sleep medication such as temazapam any more.

Hey TB,  I Truly understand how difficult and frightening this is.  You have experienced many medication changes over a short amount of time.  I have experienced the same. It may very well be the case that you are still experiencing withdrawal from medications such as Effexor.  Like you, more medications were introduced after my CT and I got worse.  My nervous system was (is) overly sensitive and reacted badly to more medication.  I think it is referred to as limbic kindling...you can put the term into the search bar at the top of the page.  I'm not sure how much diazepam you were taking in hospital but you could have built up a tolerance..was this CTed? I also had this issue.  Diazepam and Seroquel were prescribed (in hospital) when I was CTed off citalopram.  I felt a little better because the wd was being masked by these drugs.  Once I went off those, The masked wd resurfaced....and I also had to deal with wd from the diazepam and the Seroquel.  Love K xo

I've just had a good read of the limbic kindling article.  I'm so extremely frustrated - why are there no professionals in Australia who can help us?

3 minutes ago, TB1973 said:

I've just had a good read of the limbic kindling article.  I'm so extremely frustrated - why are there no professionals in Australia who can help us?

I want to get off these drugs!

12 minutes ago, TB1973 said:

I want to get off these drugs!

And you can my friend ...I would suggest writing some clear questions to the moderators to assist you with your next step.  Just please don't make any changes until you hear from a moderator and have a clear plan in place. Much Love and hugs K xo